PDA

View Full Version : Luka Samanic is gone (Update: Yeah, he gone)

Pages : 1 [2] 3

exstatic
10-11-2021, 08:03 PM
I wonder whether the decision making process on Luka was still fluid 24 hours ago…

Can’t even remember the last time a Spurs’ pick was waived, little alone 2 years into their rookie contract.

James Anderson’s 3rd year option wasn’t picked up after his 5th metatarsal fracture. He was picked #20 overall.

Chinook
10-11-2021, 08:08 PM
James Anderson’s 3rd year option wasn’t picked up after his 5th metatarsal fracture. He was picked #20 overall.

Yeah Anderson lasted one year. Livio lasted on camp.

timtonymanu
10-11-2021, 08:12 PM
James Anderson looked legit before his injury though. Who knows if LDN even has a career on the Spurs if Anderson never got hurt.

GAustex
10-11-2021, 08:13 PM
There was a brief period of time where Anderson looked very promising

SAGirl
10-11-2021, 08:25 PM
Despite everyone falling all over themselves shouting "first!", SAG was among the first people speculating about Samanic's release. She did so back on 08/04 when reacting to the Aminu trade.
I thought his spot was in doubt since he failed to earn playing time last season. To me that was significant. Even when the team moved on from both LMA and Lyles, he still played very little. He could have played if he was a good enough player, that was my point, but everyone blew me off making excuses for him and blaming Pop, saying it was a Pop schtick. Vassell got opportunities to play and Johnson became a starter, yet this guy was still unplayed.

Then he missed summer league which was a red flag because he could have used the confidence, chemistry and coaching. He needed every opportunity to get better and earn a spot. He shouldn’t have assumed he was safe because he was under contract. When KBD signed a contract that was when the alarms started blaring, LJ posted his 9 thoughts and people started to change their opinions for the first time.

He’s a confusing player because he’s got skill and athleticism but his problem is obviously somewhere else, he wasn’t good in Europe and had character flags. Maybe they thought of Jokic, a talented player who as a teen didn’t look like he even wanted to play, being out of shape and disengaged, but the gamble didn’t pay off with Samanic (although it did with Jokic).

I think it wasn’t easy for the Spurs to move on from him. They obviously drafted him higher than Johnson and had high hopes for him. He’s still young and it’s not easy to give up on a 21 year old first round pick, but at this point he’s sunk cost and he made it clear he still has the same problems he had when drafted. Dude is lollygagging on the court looking like he’d rather be somewhere else.

ceperez
10-11-2021, 08:39 PM
I thought his spot was in doubt since he failed to earn playing time last season. To me that was significant. Even when the team moved on from both LMA and Lyles, he still played very little. He could have played if he was a good enough player, that was my point, but everyone blew me off making excuses for him and blaming Pop, saying it was a Pop schtick. Vassell got opportunities to play and Johnson became a starter, yet this guy was still unplayed.

Then he missed summer league which was a red flag because he could have used the confidence, chemistry and coaching. He needed every opportunity to get better and earn a spot. He shouldn’t have assumed he was safe because he was under contract. When KBD signed a contract that was when the alarms started blaring, LJ posted his 9 thoughts and prostrated to change their opinions for the first time.

He’s a confusing player because he’s got skill and athleticism but his problem is obviously somewhere else, he wasn’t good in Europe and had character flags. Maybe they thought of Jokic, a pint her talented player who as a teen didn’t look like he even wanted to play, being out of shape and disengaged, but the gamble didn’t pay off.

I think it wasn’t easy for the Spurs to move on from him. They obviously drafted him higher than Johnson and had high hopes for him. He’s still young and it’s not easy to give up on a 21 year old first round pick, but at this point he’s sunk cost and he made it clear he still has the same problems he had when drafted. Dude is lollygagging on the court looking like he’d rather be somewhere else.

Sours just cut their losses before giving a roster spot to a guy they no longer believe will figure things out. It isn’t something to celebrate or anything, and if fans look back it seems that it was a long time coming and Luka didn’t do anything to change their minds. Too bad he didn’t pan out.

There's stuff that PATFO sees that fans never see. A lot of being a pro is mental and perhaps they saw that you couldn't trust Samanic despite his obvious athletic talent and size. Too bad! 2 years experiment is over. Seems to have been too quick, but its clear that they want to keep other players a head of Samanic.

itzsoweezee
10-11-2021, 08:40 PM

Then he missed summer league which was a red flag because he could have used the confidence, chemistry and coaching. He needed every opportunity to get better and earn a spot. He shouldn’t have assumed he was safe because he was under contract. When KBD signed a contract that was when the alarms started blaring, LJ posted his 9 thoughts and people started to change their opinions for the first time.

He’s a confusing player because he’s got skill and athleticism but his problem is obviously somewhere else, he wasn’t good in Europe and had character flags. Maybe they thought of Jokic, a pint her talented player who as a teen didn’t look like he even wanted to play, being out of shape and disengaged, but the gamble didn’t pay off.

Sours just cut their losses before giving a roster spot to a guy they no longer believe will figure things out. It isn’t something to celebrate or anything, and if fans look back it seems that it was a long time coming and Luka didn’t do anything to change their minds. Too bad he didn’t pan out.

Yeah, missing summer league was really surprising to me. I assumed he was hurt or doing training requested by the coaching staff, but maybe he just he wasn’t going to play summer league. That’s the only plausible explanation I can think. The coaches/front office must have been pissed. The alternative explanation is the front office is just incompetent, which, being truthful, could be just as reasonable a conclusion for this happening

baseline bum
10-11-2021, 08:43 PM
Yeah, missing summer league was really surprising to me. I assumed he was hurt or doing training requested by the coaching staff, but maybe he just he wasn’t going to play summer league. That’s the only plausible explanation I can think. The coaches/front office must have been pissed. The alternative explanation is the front office is just incompetent, which, being truthful, could be just as reasonable a conclusion for this happening

Yeah I was thinking WTF when he wasn't in summer league like he was some vet or something who thought it above him.

raybies
10-11-2021, 08:45 PM
Duncan couldn't guard the three point line and Miami was forced to shoot threes. You gonna put Duncan at the rim and just give Miami a wide open three?
That's assuming they made the three. A damned if you do and damned if you don't situation, but Duncan should have been given the benefit of the doubt. If he himself wanted out I understand otherwise I expect Duncan to do anything in his power to be competitive... maybe that's why Pop doesn't take Forbes out and he can't defend... just a little conspiracy fun as I fancy a good conspiracy..

Leetonidas
10-11-2021, 08:46 PM
Is Luka crying on social media yet?

raybies
10-11-2021, 08:47 PM
James Anderson looked legit before his injury though. Who knows if LDN even has a career on the Spurs if Anderson never got hurt.

Facts. He was playing really well.

NickiRasgo
10-11-2021, 08:50 PM
Hope the Spurs considering signing Sekou Doumbouya who was picked (15th) earlier in 2019 NBA Draft just to compensate the lost of the 19th pick for nothing.

exstatic
10-11-2021, 08:52 PM
I know Pop loves the overachiever like Bryn. But some athletes are just naturally gifted. And with the rxception of last night’s game, Luka seemed to have improved from draft day. The kid is big, and have very good skills. How much minutes has he logged in? Enough to dismiss he doesn’t have it? It has to be the attitude. But Bird, MJ, Barkley.. jerks. And like during draft discussions, Spurs don’t draft players with questionable characters. But how many DRob, Timmy, Manu out there?

Plenty of “athletes” bust out of the league every year. You can only be a jerk and succeed in the league if you’re a HOF talent, not some marginal foreign screwup.

tonight...you
10-11-2021, 08:54 PM
i do have a tiny penis yes i was or with a condition called micropenis........yes this is a real story from someone verified on the spurs reddit..........im just stealig credit like op did with the story from TD 21 (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=17781) & SAGirl (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49524)
You need credit, we know.
You keep posting such shit.

exstatic
10-11-2021, 08:55 PM
Hope the Spurs considering signing Sekou Doumbouya who was picked (15th) earlier in 2019 NBA Draft just to compensate the lost of the 19th pick for nothing.

Another trouble making asshole, who was cut before Sammich? No thanks. He got kicked out of INSEP, the French basketball academy. He actually sucked worse than Sammich.

K...
10-11-2021, 08:57 PM
it's a fair bet to pick a talented 17yr old and learn their personality expect some maturity. however some people are just jerks, and not every foreigner adapts to USA well. The spurs also have less player development capability without all time talents to hand hold. There's nothing to cry about, most players bust out, so the spurs are just batting average at the draft these days.

NickiRasgo
10-11-2021, 08:58 PM
Another trouble making asshole, who was cut before Sammich? No thanks. He got kicked out of INSEP, the French basketball academy. He actually sucked worse than Sammich.

Oh that sucks. Didn't know about it. Isn't Samanic had an alarming issue before he got drafted? Like he left his team in Europe hanging. I can't really remember exactly or not even sure if it's Samanic.

PhantomDashCam
10-11-2021, 08:58 PM

Yeah Anderson lasted one year. Livio lasted on camp.

Thanks gents.

NickiRasgo
10-11-2021, 08:59 PM
Hard to swallow as well but Tim Duncan had evaluated Luka Samanic before he was drafted. :lol

TimDunkem
10-11-2021, 09:01 PM
Hard to swallow as well but Tim Duncan had evaluated Luka Samanic before he was drafted. :lol
TBF Tim also didn't believe in Manu Ginobili or TP when they showed up. Shows how much he knows. /half-sarcastic

raybies
10-11-2021, 09:04 PM
Yes, SAGirl has been down on him for a long time and received such flack for her viewpoints. That was already established. If I ever do a h/t, I'll make sure to do an Oscar speech thanking everyone. I had no idea so many ppl actually cared. I just mentioned Dejounte cause he was bold as fuck with his call last night and preemptive thread. If he doesn't get cut he gets flamed all year and thread gets pulled up etc. I know how it goes here. So I shouted him out. Then to find out everyone and their momma wants Spurstalkers to know they made the call that he "might" get cut years and months ago. I get that. Many seen the writing on the wall. Just thought it was cool af that DJ made that call like that. Some G shit as far as I'm concerned.

And to be very honest, DJ and me were scrapping it for a day or two and wanted to make amends. Just being transparent fwiw.

paperboy77
10-11-2021, 09:07 PM
I guess he "earned" that cut. I sure hope someone like Wiesman (what ever his name is) doesn't make it over Luka. (Not sure what the rules are)

offset formation
10-11-2021, 09:08 PM
Disappointed. But trust Pop.

what about when he said last yr that Luka had earned more pt then promptly didn't play him for like 13 games.

fuck pop. he's a horror on a young player's psyche. I'd fucking hate playing for him.

Mr. Body
10-11-2021, 09:14 PM
what about when he said last yr that Luka had earned more pt then promptly didn't play him for like 13 games.

fuck pop. he's a horror on a young player's psyche. I'd fucking hate playing for him.

Lol, this isn't Pop's fault. All the kid had to do was hustle and play hard for his millions and not be a glowering dick off the court.

offset formation
10-11-2021, 09:15 PM
Lol, this isn't Pop's fault. All the kid had to do was hustle and play hard for his millions and not be a glowering dick off the court.

what about what I said? pop said he'd earned more PT, then benched his ass for like a month straight without even mop up minutes?

Mr. Body
10-11-2021, 09:18 PM
what about what I said? pop said he'd earned more PT, then benched his ass for like a month straight without even mop up minutes?

You think earning PT is like a lifetime thing? Like buying a lifetime pass at the Golden Corral?

tmtcsc
10-11-2021, 09:29 PM
He got waived so quickly during training camp given that he was a first pick and the Spurs have invested in him that I wonder if it was just that he had the wrong attitude. Kind of reminds me how Jimmer was in the Spurs training camp, played like two games, and then he was gone. You would think these guys would be final cuts, but there must be some reason why they don't even get to play out the rest of the preseason games.

If that's what Luka looked like in games, just imagine what that POS looked like in practice. Don't get too comfy Lonnie.

DMC
10-11-2021, 09:29 PM
He is a quitter but today's league is built around quitters. He'll land somewhere.

baseline bum
10-11-2021, 09:35 PM

Pretty sure Tony Parker would disagree with you, and I have never seen Pop harder on a young guy than he was TP.

azarel
10-11-2021, 09:51 PM
tbh i'm sure Pop is fair enough to give his players more playing time if he can see that they are putting in effort during training etc. Probably the only time Luka puts in considerable amount of effort is in the weight room but whenever he's in scrimmage etc he just look lost and and just coasting as though training/summer league/preseason is beneath him.

bluebellmaniac
10-11-2021, 09:59 PM
The FO is incredibly kind to do this now. Gives him time to land somewhere before preseason is over. Did him a solid.

Proxy
10-11-2021, 10:04 PM
Luka Samanic and Jackie Butler goats

Sugus
10-11-2021, 10:12 PM
What benefit do they get cutting him right now? As you said they could’ve kept him longer, unless he really rubbed somebody bad. I mean the kid is 22! 6’11” with guard skills. And in a team that is rebuilding? I know Spurs culture and all, but that’s when we had the Big 3 to build around. We got nothing, and Spurs just let go a high ceiling prospect who they invested 2 years on?
Sugus, this kid is 22, Poeltl is 25 and was the starting Center, got his extension and all, but came out last year from off-season unprepared. But don’t you think getting Zollins and Jock who can shoot from outside and have offensive skills is not lighting up Jak’s behind?

I found it really funny that you tagged me only to immediately shit on Poeltl in a non-Poeltl-related post... Like, literally very funny, not offensive at all. Keep it up my guy, I'll defend my "golden giant" at all costs! :lol

Having seen the play that everyone was talking about of Luka in that Magic game now.... I don't think there's a lot of mystery still as to why Luka was cut. The allure of Luka's ceiling, as you describe, remains as tantalizing as ever - it's just that the reality of his floor has settled in so firmly, that the Spurs no longer view the distance between his floor and ceiling as being "worth it" to invest in. I was definitely in the skeptic camp regarding Luka being cut, and was high on him too (admittedly not nearly as high on him last season as I was the first season he played in Austin, but I still thought he could carve a role out this season if he fought for his place).

And that's the issue at its core, isn't it? Everyone kept expecting Luka to "put out", show 110% effort to earn his place, and after all the talk, he just... Didn't. Not on the court, certainly (I still, and probably forever will, fault Pop for this, though). And after that ridiculously lackluster effort to stop a basic fastbreak, it kind of was the perfect straw to break the camel's back. Almost poetic, if you ask me.

Regarding Jakob (it's hilarious that you bring him up here, again), they're just not comparable at all lmfao. I know you and a certain portion of ST has this weird delusion that the guy has been coasting on being 7 feet tall ever since entering the league, doesn't work hard, etcetera... But that has at no point been the image of Jakob; his trainers don't speak of him like that, nor teammates, nor reporters, nor people that knew him before the NBA, literally nobody outside of ST. The guy had a bad (awful) FT shooting stretch, and that's pretty much it as far as "evidence". With Luka, even though it was hearsay, there were definitely confirmed sources, pre-draft red flags; there was always smoke where we now see fire. Not comparable at all.

Not to mention the obvious: it's far easier to justify a slow start to the season when you're already under contract and a starter on your team, vs a fringe 12-15th man trying to earn a spot in the league. Luka's time to prove it just ran out a bit sooner than we all expected it to, whilst Jakob has proved plenty already (and will hopefully prove further to haters (:lol) like you...).

offset formation
10-11-2021, 10:22 PM
You think earning PT is like a lifetime thing? Like buying a lifetime pass at the Golden Corral?

lmao, no. said nothing of the kind. but earning more PT ought to translate to playing again in the month following comments by your coach that your good play had earned you more PT.

Don't be a pop apologist. it's not a good look. he fucked Luka over. he's fucked over other young players too. Luka obviously hashis own responsibility in this too but he looked like he had potential last yr and then hary saw the court again on a team that SUCKED BALLS. It's inexcusable shit from pop and you shouldn't be riding pops cock on this.

BackHome
10-11-2021, 10:22 PM
Pretty sure Tony Parker would disagree with you, and I have never seen Pop harder on a young guy than he was TP.

That shit don’t fly with current generation of Snowflakes

ElNono
10-11-2021, 10:24 PM
OP with the solid early goods call, tbh

offset formation
10-11-2021, 10:27 PM

it's why TP is a future hall of famer that he could take it and still get better. most ppl don't have that mental toughness.

never forget what Timmy said about how hard pop rode him and how he thought hedcrack.

And I just think Luka had possibilities to be a plus player given the right coaching. he certainly was playing plus defense last year which used to be the key to earn more PT from pop but evidently that was not enough. meanwhile we have turnstiles on D in Bryn, Patty, DD earning praise from pop. there's simply no consistency with pop anymore and I for one am done with him. And I hate the way he treats the press. His shtick is old. His coaching and lineups are atrocious at times. I appreciate what he's done for us but it's time to go.

I'm hoping he gets the record and exits stage left.

SAGirl
10-11-2021, 10:31 PM
Yes, SAGirl has been down on him for a long time and received such flack for her viewpoints. That was already established. If I ever do a h/t, I'll make sure to do an Oscar speech thanking everyone. I had no idea so many ppl actually cared. I just mentioned Dejounte cause he was bold as fuck with his call last night and preemptive thread. If he doesn't get cut he gets flamed all year and thread gets pulled up etc. I know how it goes here. So I shouted him out. Then to find out everyone and their momma wants Spurstalkers to know they made the call that he "might" get cut years and months ago. I get that. Many seen the writing on the wall. Just thought it was cool af that DJ made that call like that. Some G shit as far as I'm concerned.

And to be very honest, DJ and me were scrapping it for a day or two and wanted to make amends. Just being transparent fwiw.
This was hilarious Raybies thank you. Spurstalk is still good for a laugh here and there, although it used to have more memes lol. You get the award for funny spin.

ducks
10-11-2021, 11:05 PM
That shit don’t fly with current generation of Snowflakes

Ofcourse not
Tp was French
He did not surrender !

KobesAchilles
10-11-2021, 11:11 PM
Whelp saw that coming. 2 sides to this story. First, it’s hard to be drafted in the US and then not be played at all in the NBA. I’m sure PATFO explained the plan to him, but moving all the way across the world and putting in the work and still not getting any playing time probably kills any motivation. Dude could get equal money and play a lot closer to home. And he would be used and get minutes for his actual team that’s paying him.

Other side of the coin. Dude was lazy and relied on his natural skills instead of putting in the work and having the right attitude to improve. He never really caught on and never filled out in his frame or really adjusted to NBA play. Dude has no idea how to play basketball, doesn’t grab boards, and doesn’t compete. Potential doesn’t mean shit if you don’t have any heart and this is a classic example.

Either way I’m glad he’s gone. Now let’s trade Derrick

KobesAchilles
10-11-2021, 11:17 PM
Btw who is the guy that was lecturing me about how great this motherfucker is and how he shut down Randle and he will have a huge role on the team this season? :lmao

The Truth #6
10-11-2021, 11:24 PM
Weird drafting him. Disappointing he didn’t/wasn’t developed. Further evidence of piss poor asset management.

On the plus side, the Luka vs Brandon Clarke debate has now been settled.

BackHome
10-11-2021, 11:44 PM
So we struck out with Luka almost guarantee that Walker will not be signed and White with his feet issues is not looking good. That leaves Keldon and Murray who are good semi starters on a good team it’s looking like really Dark Age has finally come for the Spurs. On a bright side I’ll watch more College ball to see who we pick in the first round.

playblair
10-11-2021, 11:45 PM
OP with the solid early goods call, tbh
wrong it was sagirl & td 21 op stole credit

offset formation
10-11-2021, 11:51 PM
So we struck out with Luka almost guarantee that Walker will not be signed and White with his feet issues is not looking good. That leaves Keldon and Murray who are good semi starters on a good team it’s looking like really Dark Age has finally come for the Spurs. On a bright side I’ll watch more College ball to see who we pick in the first round.

yup. I'm no longer thinking they win 34 games I predicted a few weeks back. White's poor play is very concerning. and it is looking like Pop might not even get the wins he needs to break the record. no one to blame but himself for multiple foolish personnel, game management, lineup screw-ups over the past few years, imo.

jbspurs
10-12-2021, 12:14 AM
2 Plays that answered my question why Samanic does not get playing time. Giving up on the fastbreak play and him not fighting for the crucial rebound when he was clearly the tallest in the group...

jbspurs
10-12-2021, 12:41 AM
I will miss his dribble penetration, behind the back dribble which resulted to TO most of the time.

wildbill2u
10-12-2021, 12:47 AM
Sic Semper Saminich. Let's move on.

J_Paco
10-12-2021, 12:54 AM
Lol

You were right, my bad. LOLOL

He showed flashes of being really good.

Maybe he'll latch on somewhere and develop.

He has the physical tools to be a NBA player, but it takes desire and mental toughness to be better than just a fringe player (looking like his possible outcome).

Maybe this is the kick in the ass that he'll need to make it in the league or he goes back to Europe where his physical gifts are more of an outlier.....

Wished it could've worked out in SA.

Rocalcio
10-12-2021, 01:19 AM
Ofcourse not
Tp was French
He did not surrender !
:fro

CGD
10-12-2021, 07:07 AM
Wow. Was not expecting this, but looking at it objectively it makes sense.

CGD
10-12-2021, 07:14 AM

Typically you can make the argument with busts: “well where they picked, it’s not like there was anyone good in the selections after.” Lonnie is a case in point the draft before.

But here the immediate picks after were Thyblle and Clarke, which turned out nice. Thankfully spurs salvaged Keldon at 29.

slick'81
10-12-2021, 07:33 AM
Pop definitely wont put up with players without heart. I dont know if luka just gave up or just wanted out but either way spurs swung,and missed badly with that pick

acoelho1
10-12-2021, 08:25 AM
I’m surprised by his release. Samanic has clearly showed enough tools to be on this team but as others have said, this is more about his lack of drive to be a good NBA player. This is also a complete failure by the front office and another wasted first rounder. These red flags were known prior to his draft but the Spurs think they are smarter than everyone else. They need to emphasize mental toughness in their evaluation of players and find players with some grit & attitude.

DJR210
10-12-2021, 08:53 AM
So long piece of soft euro shit

Doe
10-12-2021, 09:19 AM
Going to be awkward when he signs somewhere else, makes the regular rotation, and comes back and drops 25 and 10 at AT&T his first trip back.

I don’t think Luka is this ambitious in his dreams let alone reality.

ceperez
10-12-2021, 09:45 AM
I thought the Spurs always drafted based on character?

How the hell did they draft someone that gets waived because of lack of character?

Looks like the Spurs front office is becoming dysfunctional over time!

Atl Spur
10-12-2021, 09:51 AM
No team drafts perfect.....we draft better than any other team. That’s all

TimDunkem
10-12-2021, 09:59 AM

How the hell did they draft someone that gets waived because of lack of character?

Brain drain has affected the scouting department too. Spurs no longer hire the best. Their best just get hired by other teams.

baseline bum
10-12-2021, 10:00 AM
it's why TP is a future hall of famer that he could take it and still get better. most ppl don't have that mental toughness.

never forget what Timmy said about how hard pop rode him and how he thought hedcrack.

And I just think Luka had possibilities to be a plus player given the right coaching. he certainly was playing plus defense last year which used to be the key to earn more PT from pop but evidently that was not enough. meanwhile we have turnstiles on D in Bryn, Patty, DD earning praise from pop. there's simply no consistency with pop anymore and I for one am done with him. And I hate the way he treats the press. His shtick is old. His coaching and lineups are atrocious at times. I appreciate what he's done for us but it's time to go.

I'm hoping he gets the record and exits stage left.

So if Luka doesn't have the mental toughness to handle Pop's coaching then fuck him. If you can't handle a coach being hard on you how are you going to have the mental toughness to go bang with Davis, Jokic, Zion, etc on a nightly basis?

CGD
10-12-2021, 10:33 AM
No team drafts perfect.....we draft better than any other team. That’s all

Pretty much this

Mugen
10-12-2021, 10:36 AM
NGL, I'm pulling for the kid to do well on another team tbh :lol

same with Lonnie with his inevitable departure...

Texas_Ranger
10-12-2021, 10:37 AM

i actually think they drafted him just cause his name was Luka. No joke.

John B
10-12-2021, 11:03 AM
So if Luka doesn't have the mental toughness to handle Pop's coaching then fuck him. If you can't handle a coach being hard on you how are you going to have the mental toughness to go bang with Davis, Jokic, Zion, etc on a nightly basis?

I’m not hating on Pop, but not all are cut like TP. And while TP went through a lot, he was the starting PG on a winning team. And he had Timmy, DRob also setting examples. We have a mediocre team. I’m not making excuses for Luka, but someone could’ve gone through him, maybe a different approach. Because he’s a great talent of position in need, and Spurs already invested on for 2 years.

baseline bum
10-12-2021, 11:12 AM
I’m not hating on Pop, but not all are cut like TP. And while TP went through a lot, he was the starting PG on a winning team. And he had Timmy, DRob also setting examples. We have a mediocre team. I’m not making excuses for Luka, but someone could’ve gone through him, maybe a different approach. Because he’s a great talent of position in need, and Spurs already invested on for 2 years.

Great talent :lol

John B
10-12-2021, 11:38 AM
Great talent :lol

I don’t think there’s any doubt on his talent. The question is on his hunger and maybe attitude. Luka has better skill sets than any of our bigs.

baseline bum
10-12-2021, 11:56 AM
I don’t think there’s any doubt on his talent. The question is on his hunger and maybe attitude. Luka has better skill sets than any of our bigs.

There is a lot of doubt on his talent. Only thing there wasn't doubt on was his height.

raybies
10-12-2021, 12:36 PM
There is a lot of doubt on his talent. Only thing there wasn't doubt on was his height.
He had tons of talent. I don't think you understand what that means.

Talent you are born with.
Skills are achieved.

Growing your skills helps you to reach your full potential or utilizing all your talent. Talent is like unrefined precious material...

(Speculation)
But also wanted to say, this is what I suspect. He was pushed to play the game by his family. I thought he was misguided... Well as it turns out and to h/t timvp's post, his father played and he actually wanted to be a skateboarder. His dad, who played for years, knew his raw talent and pushed him to play. Probably spoke him up all the time; and told him about the money; and the fame etc. I mean at his draft he said he compared himself to KD. Ok bruh. But it makes more sense if that's what his dad said and he parroted it etc.

I figured he didn't love the game because he played like a robot, just going through the motions. His effort was whenever he decided to turn it on because he wasn't invested. He just played because he was pushed to. I found it very mysterious to what his motivation was... for example some players have the heart, or the mental fortitude etc. He just didn't show one or the other.

I think with some time away to reevaluate his life and quite frankly become a man, he can decide what he truly wants to do. I wouldn't be surprised if he never plays ball again, and if he does it will be because he truly wants to. And then, he could be a problem...

Leetonidas
10-12-2021, 12:39 PM
His talent seems way more theoretical than anything at this point. Showing (barely any) flashes of being a competent basketball player doesn't mean he's got all this untapped talent

raybies
10-12-2021, 12:46 PM
For me, it was first a heart problem. He was not fully invested in basketball. There are tons of stories of kids who are made to play by their parents who also had the dream but couldn't make it... So the kids become a vicarious way for them to accomplish their dreams etc.

But he didn't love the game man. I ain't mad at the kid, I kind of feel bad for him, if that's the case. He's just been very misguided.

As far as talent, you could consider physical tools as well. His fluidity, and natural ability was very wealthy or full of talent. The work ethic, attitude, and heart were problems though. It all starts with the heart. Anyone who enters the league you would think it's a given that they love playing. But he got by on genes as I've been saying and "snuck into the party." So in that regard, very talented.

But his head wasn't screwed on straight... He didn't have the love and without that you can't have the focus, at least consistently.

paperboy77
10-12-2021, 12:56 PM

I agree with you but this is not a new thing. A shitload of guys with the physical tools lack the proper mindset to succeed. That's why there's so many college stars you forgot even existed!

exstatic
10-12-2021, 01:14 PM
Typically you can make the argument with busts: “well where they picked, it’s not like there was anyone good in the selections after.” Lonnie is a case in point the draft before.

But here the immediate picks after were Thyblle and Clarke, which turned out nice. Thankfully spurs salvaged Keldon at 29.

Philly can’t play Thuybulle more than 20 minutes, he’s that awful, offensively. I also consider it a travesty that a 20 minute bench player made All D over someone like DJ. Total crap.

R. DeMurre
10-12-2021, 01:45 PM
Philly can’t play Thuybulle more than 20 minutes, he’s that awful, offensively. I also consider it a travesty that a 20 minute bench player made All D over someone like DJ. Total crap.

Nothing wrong with having an all world defender on the roster, even if he doesn't start or play 30 mpg. I'd argue Murray's a good defender, but he's nowhere near Thybulle... not even close.

Cabrito
10-12-2021, 02:06 PM
Luka had some chances, he just didn’t take advantage of them. For example, he tried out for his national team, gets cut, and then returns and chooses not to play in the summer league to rehab his injury. Ok, I am sure that rubbed the Spurs the wrong way. His is healthy enough to try out for the Olympic team but not to play in the summer league? It’s not like he had played in multiple summer leagues since one was covid canceled Then the Spurs promoted his G league coach to the big club. One would think Luka would have a supporter if he was coachable in the G league. Maybe not so much. Pop didn’t play him when there were opportunities, but it’s not like Luka took advantage of every chance in front of him. People that truly want something go after it. Look at Kyle Anderson. He took advantage of his opportunities and got a nice contract and is playing good ball.

The Truth #6
10-12-2021, 02:17 PM
Yeah, a dumb pick at the time. And now, still a dumb pick if they couldn’t recognize or work with his flaws. A bad look. They still failed to give him a chance even if he was a problem. He played so much less than his peers from the draft. His failure isn’t just individual, it’s more wasted asset management. Pop has to reevaluate his process with young players. Otherwise they are going to limit their ability to acquire talent or continue the 37-win treadmill.

On the flip side, I think Wright has been drafting better character guys. And I wonder if that focus wasn’t from their experience with Nephew specifically but Luka as well.

I’ve been a supporter of Sam in that I thought he deserved a fair and realistic chance to succeed or fail. Never claimed he was great because we never saw enough of him to really know.

But hey, we’ll see…

Uriel
10-12-2021, 02:24 PM

Uriel
10-12-2021, 02:25 PM
So basically Pop cut Luka because he chose KBD over him.

Leetonidas
10-12-2021, 02:28 PM

Did you expect Pop to shit on him? Of course he is going to give a polite response

Dex
10-12-2021, 02:33 PM

Down to Aminu or KBD at this point.

Ironically Aminu probably has the better trade value as a known commodity, but KBD is probably the better player at this point unless Aminu has a crazy resurgence.

Sugus
10-12-2021, 02:35 PM

Of all the games I watch, I miss the most relevant one, SMH :lol

Interesting that Pop explicitly said they "had that talk after the Orlando game". It obviously was on everybody's mind at the time, but it's kind of rare to get such direct confirmation.

We really saw Luka giving up on his NBA career in real fucking time :lmao

exstatic
10-12-2021, 02:47 PM
Pop definitely wont put up with players without heart. I dont know if luka just gave up or just wanted out but either way spurs swung,and missed badly with that pick

That’s sometimes what happens with high ceiling, low floor players. They hit that floor and go splat.

raybies
10-12-2021, 02:51 PM
To all the ppl saying Pop didn't give him a chance, do you think it's possible he didn't even earn a shot with team practice? I mean he looked raw af, even after two years. I mean he makes Primo look like a 10 year vet...

The Truth #6
10-12-2021, 02:59 PM
^ I’m just thinking of a post from months ago that showed Luka had way less playing time than his peers from that draft. I think character and work ethic was a big issue but it can’t be unique to Luka, either. Basically, hey, not a good player for us, but why the hell did they draft him then? Whatever negatives people throw at Luka is also a statement on our scouting and/or development.

exstatic
10-12-2021, 03:05 PM
^ I’m just thinking of a post from months ago that showed Luka had way less playing time than his peers from that draft. I think character and work ethic was a big issue but it can’t be unique to Luka, either. Basically, hey, not a good player for us, but why the hell did they draft him then? Whatever negatives people throw at Luka is also a statement on our scouting and/or development.

That’s sometimes what happens with high ceiling, low floor players. They hit that floor and go splat.

Larry O
10-12-2021, 03:07 PM
He quit on his current team which is playing in the finals of domestic league, to go to draft combine. Quitter at 19, tbh. :lol

As I posted in other threads, he and his agent are adamant he plays in the NBA next season, so I don't know about stashing, how real option is that.
Otherwise, I've watched him in every game this season since he plays for a team from my hometown and I have mixed feelings about his (currently very, very inconsistent) game.

This was an original post by Smaka back on 5/18/19 in Timvp's Luka Samanik's NBA Draft Prospect Post. I knew that I read somewhere that he had quit on his team, & in this case, to go to the draft combine. I also thought that there was another instance where he bailed on his team(?). But I also understand that R.C. was scouting this dude, so should this draft pick fall on him? Perhaps R.C. was salivating on the "Luka" name & thought that we will have our own Luka & we will fix his flaws & indoctrinate him into the "Spurs" Way," for a player with so much potential! Oh well, so much for that. So unfortunate; so disappointing.

Sugus
10-12-2021, 03:14 PM
To all the ppl saying Pop didn't give him a chance, do you think it's possible he didn't even earn a shot with team practice? I mean he looked raw af, even after two years. I mean he makes Primo look like a 10 year vet...

Perfect answer right here. Both things can be true at once: Luka sucked behind the scenes (and on the scene, depending on the day :lol), AND also the coaching staff didn't give him the necessary time, role, and consistency for him to carve out any kind of role on the team. At the very least, if you know first hand that the player in question sucks or has personality issues, you try and get him on the court, and lure other teams into buying high on his "potential" and try to recoup losses; the Spurs didn't even manage that, and were already hardly playing him this preseason, his third year, after an entire year of not playing him, too.

It'd be one thing if Luka was a sole case of this, but we saw it previously with Lonnie, too, especially the inconsistency in role and minutes, and getting benched for vets who don't deserve their PT but have favor with the coach, so they stay on the court despite committing mistakes that get you pulled out (the infamous Beli/Mills/Forbes trio is an immediate example). That screws with any players' mindset, even if they have a positive mentality regarding it, like Lonnie does, instead of taking it negatively like Luka did.

I don't see Primo having this problem, he's got a different mental game altogether. But the Spurs would be really dumb to not accommodate their development/coaching tactics to more "emotional" players, and assume every player should stoically take every benching in stride for eternity. Especially in this day and age where everyone and their momma is a diva.

raybies
10-12-2021, 03:31 PM
Perfect answer right here. Both things can be true at once: Luka sucked behind the scenes (and on the scene, depending on the day :lol), AND also the coaching staff didn't give him the necessary time, role, and consistency for him to carve out any kind of role on the team. At the very least, if you know first hand that the player in question sucks or has personality issues, you try and get him on the court, and lure other teams into buying high on his "potential" and try to recoup losses; the Spurs didn't even manage that, and were already hardly playing him this preseason, his third year, after an entire year of not playing him, too.

It'd be one thing if Luka was a sole case of this, but we saw it previously with Lonnie, too, especially the inconsistency in role and minutes, and getting benched for vets who don't deserve their PT but have favor with the coach, so they stay on the court despite committing mistakes that get you pulled out (the infamous Beli/Mills/Forbes trio is an immediate example). That screws with any players' mindset(BULLSHIT), even if they have a positive mentality regarding it, like Lonnie does, instead of taking it negatively like Luka did.

I don't see Primo having this problem, he's got a different mental game altogether. But the Spurs would be really dumb to not accommodate their development/coaching tactics to more "emotional" players, and assume every player should stoically take every benching in stride for eternity. Especially in this day and age where everyone and their momma is a diva.

C'mon bruh, when have the Spurs ever been that kind of team... They do not look at players as assets at all.

As for Lonnie he had that one game against the Rockets where he literally put the team on his back and won it for us if I'm not mistaken. Luka never did anything ever.... ever.... ever.... ever... ok I'm done. Just so ppl can stop already. In response to the mindset thing, it is what it is man, I don't think you fully understand. If the egg gets cracked by the coach trying to push you, using just words, to achieve your potential then how the fuck are you ever gonna perform when it matters most. You guys don't understand that. In pressure situations Lonnie, if you've noticed, he kind of fumbles around.

It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation... If Pop lets him do what he wants and he doesn't have the construct then it implodes later and if he coaches him up now, then he implodes in the season. Lonnie needs the coaching. This is exactly what they do in the military for ppl who are soft or with weak mentalities. They toughen em up and prepare them for war. You can argue whatever you want about if it's moral or not in a sports setting but it's a time and tested strategy that propels peak performance and Pop is from the military. Yall must be some soft pussies. I can't imagine anyone critiquing some of yall harshly.. Some of yall would fold up like a cheap lawn chair. I LOVE HARSH CRITIQUES. I love when ppl are frank and keep it real. It's a much more faster pace for growth if you let it.

As for the vets argument, that is fair, but once again is a military thing and vets have seniority with Pop. I only wish he would understand that even in times of war if a captain, squad leader ain't getting the job done then it needs to be given to someone who can. So I agree there.

All things considered, if a kid can't take the heat in a preseason game or season game, with just words, then he has no business playing tbh. The NBA ain't boot camp, that's training camp and the GLeague. When a kid is ready he can have his shot. I agree with Pop in that aspect.

Imagine being in the front lines and having a kid shit his pants right next to you... What would you do? How would that affect your Psych? With how vocal I am as a person and from experience in my days playing ball, I call ppl like that out all the time. I would've told his ass to "pass the fucking ball. How the fuck do you just watch him go to the basket. Play solid. Stop fucking playing like it's a pickup." That's me. Ppl told me the same shit and I didn't piss and moan, I listened. Coachability is huge for a character team. Luka was a net negative and the longer you live in life you know you need to cut ppl off who aren't mutually beneficial. He wasn't. He was a parasite at this time.

Harsh words I know, but they are examples and the definitions are representative of the reality of it.

MultiTroll
10-12-2021, 03:36 PM
He quit on his current team which is playing in the finals of domestic league, to go to draft combine. Quitter at 19, tbh. :lol
What were the circumstances? Was he supposed to stay with his smaller time Euro team and miss the rare op to be seen by NBA scouts?

raybies
10-12-2021, 03:42 PM
What were the circumstances? Was he supposed to stay with his smaller time Euro team and miss the rare op to be seen by NBA scouts?
Yes. True pros do that all the time. David was in the Navy for what, two years after he got drafted? Duncan also honored his parents wishes of finishing college as a four year graduate. If he wouldn't have honored his word we would have never had him. CHARACTER. Luka didn't have it.

It would've helped his character. But he sold out, and now the same flags that were there then are still here now. Who knows what kind of career he would've had by now if he made the "right" decisions.

And you act like a player with his kind of profile wouldn't have been drafted anyways or later.

He quit then and he quit now. The "Breakaway" meme said it all. Everyone knew.

MultiTroll
10-12-2021, 03:50 PM
This is exactly what they do in the military for ppl who are soft or with weak mentalities. They toughen em up and prepare them for war. You can argue whatever you want about if it's moral or not in a sports setting but it's a time and tested strategy that propels peak performance and Pop is from the military. Yall must be some soft pussies. I can't imagine anyone critiquing some of yall harshly.. Some of yall would fold up like a cheap lawn chair. I LOVE HARSH CRITIQUES. I love when ppl are frank and keep it real. It's a much more faster pace for growth if you let it.

As for the vets argument, that is fair, but once again is a military thing and vets have seniority with Pop. I only wish he would understand that even in times of war if a captain, squad leader ain't getting the job done then it needs to be given to someone who can. So I agree there.

All things considered, if a kid can't take the heat in a preseason game or season game, with just words, then he has no business playing tbh. The NBA ain't boot camp, that's training camp and the GLeague. When a kid is ready he can have his shot. I agree with Pop in that aspect.

Imagine being in the front lines and having a kid shit his pants right next to you... What would you do? How would that affect your Psych? With how vocal I am as a person and from experience in my days playing ball, I call ppl like that out all the time. I would've told his ass to "pass the fucking ball. How the fuck do you just watch him go to the basket. Play solid. Stop fucking playing like it's a pickup." That's me. Ppl told me the same shit and I didn't piss and moan, I listened. Coachability is huge for a character team. Luka was a net negative and the longer you live in life you know you need to cut ppl off who aren't mutually beneficial. He wasn't. He was a parasite at this time.

Harsh words I know, but they are examples and the definitions are representative of the reality of it.
So utilizing your balling days and knowledge of Pops methods can you tell us how starting Bryn Bryn Forbes and Patty Mills together for 2 years was the result of a toughness strategy?

raybies
10-12-2021, 03:54 PM
So utilizing your balling days and knowledge of Pops methods can you tell us how starting Bryn Bryn Forbes and Patty Mills together for 2 years was the result of a toughness strategy?

Yeah I knew a dumb ass like you would try to devalue my experiences. I was ready for it but it is what it is. You are a troll. My bad for actually indulging your garbage takes. This is what you do.

If you understood the heart of the message you would get me. Please disregard the statement of my experiences... And now try to make a stance against my post. Would love to discuss. I provided many applicable comparisons to help others understand and to advocate for the accuracy of my assertions.

*Also the "experience of my balling days" were only used to explain one point alone, and that was the frustration of what it's like to play with a player like Luka. It was in that paragraph. I thought it was a given, ya know, in regards to paragraph structure..

MultiTroll
10-12-2021, 04:03 PM
It'd be one thing if Luka was a sole case of this, but we saw it previously with Lonnie, too, especially the inconsistency in role and minutes, and getting benched for vets who don't deserve their PT but have favor with the coach, so they stay on the court despite committing mistakes that get you pulled out (the infamous Beli/Mills/Forbes trio is an immediate example). That screws with any players' mindset, even if they have a positive mentality regarding it, like Lonnie does, instead of taking it negatively like Luka did.

I sure am glad we got to see LMA instead of Luka.
And now the haul we got from other teams for both of them combined.
Wow. :pop:

MultiTroll
10-12-2021, 04:04 PM
Yeah I knew a dumb ass like you would try to devalue my experiences. I was ready for it but it is what it is. You are a troll. My bad for actually indulging your garbage takes. This is what you do.

If you understood the heart of the message you would get me. Please disregard the statement of my experiences... And now try to make a stance against my post. Would love to discuss. I provided many applicable comparisons to help others understand and to advocate for the accuracy of my assertions.

*Also the "experience of my balling days" were only used to explain one point alone, and that was the frustration of what it's like to play with a player like Luka. It was in that paragraph. I thought it was a given, ya know, in regards to paragraph structure..
GFY.

And answer the question when you can about Bryn and Patty.

raybies
10-12-2021, 04:07 PM
GFY.

And answer the question when you can about Bryn and Patty.
Ironically enough it was already answered but you seem to be remedial in regards to comprehension and understanding.

heyheymymy
10-12-2021, 04:11 PM
Dont forget, Luka got the start in one of the preseason games! For those saying he didn't get a chance, he got a feature in the starting lineup with a last chance total green light and did nothing with the opportunity.

raybies
10-12-2021, 04:14 PM
Dont forget, Luka got the start in one of the preseason games! For those saying he didn't get a chance, he got a feature in the starting lineup with a last chance total green light and did nothing with the opportunity.

And proceeded to go -20 and had like 11 points in what, like 18 minutes?

Just crazy.

MultiTroll
10-12-2021, 04:16 PM
Ironically enough it was already answered but you seem to be remedial in regards to comprehension and understanding.
You're skirting off.
As i posted, answer what you started when you can.

I don't know what Luka is like in practice etc, I'm not there.
Perhaps he is just a softie.
Not a given imo.

raybies
10-12-2021, 04:17 PM
You're skirting off.
As i posted, answer what you started when you can.

I don't know what Luka is like in practice etc, I'm not there.
Perhaps he is just a softie.
Not a given imo.

Yep, I skirted off. Dam, you win man. Great discussion. I said my peace.

MultiTroll
1 game?
I didn't see it, believe you he sucked.
But to pin 1 game on him while giving the likes of Bryn Bryn Forms 151 games is complete and utter bullshit.

heyheymymy
And honestly the weakness of the 2019 selections softened the blow on this bad pick.

Not crazy about Clarke but Pop would probably turn him into a beast. But Clarke still seems limited and Thybulle is even more raw.

I don't know, just not really feeling the sting on those guys though obviously would be nice to have Clarke instead of a waived pick rn.

Now if we lost keldon before 29 yeah this would really hurt in hindsight.

Vassell over Haliburton kills me much more.

TimDunkem
10-12-2021, 04:18 PM
And honestly the weakness of the 2019 selections softened the blow on this bad pick.

Not crazy about Clarke but Pop would probably turn him into a beast. But Clarke still seems limited and Thybulle is even more raw.

I don't know, just not really feeling the sting on those guys though obviously would be nice to have Clarke instead of a waived pick rn.

Wouldn't need Vassell if you had Thybulle.

raybies
10-12-2021, 04:22 PM

I mean let's be real, if we flipped KJ for Luka, then everything is butter right now. You don't expect late firsts to always make it. We got KJ at 29 and history will most likely say he was a lottery pick. So I it's not a big deal all things considered. Hindsight is always 20/20. They wanted Luka and they took him there because they must of knew that he wouldn't be available later and they lucked in to KJ.

Also I'm not too big on Clarke or Thybulle. Nowadays if you are a one trick it's better for that to be offensively then defensively. Clarke and Thybulle are extremely limited offensively. Thy more so then Clarke.

With the Spurs track record it's bound to happen... KJ should more then make up for Luka in my eyes.

Leetonidas
10-12-2021, 04:23 PM
Thybulle is nice but guys that play only one side of the court are going extinct. You can't be a non factor on offense and be that impactful in today's NBA unless you're playing with the Nets or something. I've lurked Philly boards plenty over the last few months and they aren't enamored with him as much as yall are I guarantee that :lol

raybies
10-12-2021, 04:25 PM
^ I remember when ppl were creaming over that one undersized big who GS took after the Spurs selected Derrick I believe. He out of the league now if I'm not mistaken. Can't even remember his name...

rascal
10-12-2021, 04:27 PM
I'm not surprised, obviously. Samanic went on the chopping block after KBD was given a guaranteed deal. Giving KBD guaranteed money didn't make sense unless the Spurs were willing to cut Samanic or there was an impending trade. There was no trade so, yeah, Samanic had to prove himself worthy in order to make the team.

Samanic was a high ceiling, low floor prospect so this outcome was always a strong possibility. He needed to improve his work ethic, hustle and basketball IQ to become an NBA player ... and there was no proof that he improved any of those facets.

That said, I don't especially love the move. Even though he's still super raw, Samanic has a higher ceiling than someone like KBD. KBD at his best is like a solid 10th man. Samanic probably doesn't have a future in the NBA but his physical tools and youth keep the door open to him eventually figuring it out.

I would have preferred that the Spurs decline his fourth year option but keep him around for one more season to give him a real chance. Hell, even if he continued to be clueless, he would have been an excellent end of the season tank commander :lol

Cutting a halfway intriguing prospect that you've invested two years on before the first season he should have a clear opportunity to play? Eh, not enthused by the decision, IMO.

Maybe he gave Pop the finger.

heyheymymy
10-12-2021, 04:30 PM
Yeah 1 game, after everything leading up to it in camp and with coaches and in locker room situations we never see, 1 game with knowing he had to earn his role because basketball is a business. Luka had his chances, way beyond the 1 game.

It's so much more than 1 game, there is a lot that goes into this and with Pop clearly picking guys with a unique valuation on off court attributes that definitely factors in.

But at a time when Pop tossed all the ball stoppers, seems to be embracing the youth movement, and not as beholden to name recognition despite Forbes return lol, I just feel like if Luka was in the cards Pop would be going with him. It's not like the system is pushing him out as much at this point though I'd concede that perhaps that old way stunted his growth in his first years which led to his current unimpressive skill level. But if the off court issues are even half as bad as his on court issues, I think front office made the right decision.

heyheymymy
10-12-2021, 04:35 PM
If you pick thybulle instead of luka then you don't need vassell and pick Haliburton instead.

Hmmm thybulle and Haliburton vs waived luka and vassell. That is a great point

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-12-2021, 04:42 PM
Luka has the physical tools, tbh. I don't think I blame the Spurs for drafting him from that perspective.

But...I don't like the Spurs taking long shots with high-ish draft picks. That's what upset me about Primo going where he did. Hopefully Primo is a future all-star for the Spurs long after Luka has faded into Spurs' lore.

John B
10-12-2021, 05:11 PM
Luka has the physical tools, tbh. I don't think I blame the Spurs for drafting him from that perspective.

But...I don't like the Spurs taking long shots with high-ish draft picks. That's what upset me about Primo going where he did. Hopefully Primo is a future all-star for the Spurs long after Luka has faded into Spurs' lore.

Nah Primo has ice in his veins. He’s not afraid to mix it and already getting very well with the other guys. And at that age? You just see the confidence on this kid. Luka is more of a loner. Too bad Manu didn’t get through him or we didn’t have a European player who could've taken him under his wing.

Joseph Kony
10-12-2021, 05:11 PM
^ I remember when ppl were creaming over that one undersized big who GS took after the Spurs selected Derrick I believe. He out of the league now if I'm not mistaken. Can't even remember his name...

Jordan Bell :lol i too remember that and everyone was pissed that GS bought him for cash (from CHI i think?) and Spurs didnt. Turns out he sucked balls anyway

baseline bum
10-12-2021, 05:15 PM
Jordan Bell :lol i too remember that and everyone was pissed that GS bought him for cash (from CHI i think?) and Spurs didnt. Turns out he sucked balls anyway

:lol that sig

raybies
10-12-2021, 05:40 PM
that's his name LUL

RC_Drunkford
10-12-2021, 06:37 PM
I’m surprised by his release. Samanic has clearly showed enough tools to be on this team but as others have said, this is more about his lack of drive to be a good NBA player. This is also a complete failure by the front office and another wasted first rounder. These red flags were known prior to his draft but the Spurs think they are smarter than everyone else. They need to emphasize mental toughness in their evaluation of players and find players with some grit & attitude.

:pop: "no, we need players who get over themselves"

Joseph Kony
10-12-2021, 07:26 PM
Any word on any teams interested in him yet? surprised no one claimed him off of waivers since he's on a rookie deal and all of his "potential"

The Truth #6
10-12-2021, 07:45 PM
Normally I’d say Dallas or Detroit will grab him, but not sure at this point.

gospursgojas
10-12-2021, 07:50 PM
Doubt we see him in nba. Prob has a euro team lined up. Spurs did him a solid and allowed him to go play where soft euro trash is highly sought after.

jjspur
10-12-2021, 07:57 PM
I doubt anyone picks him off waivers. Teams will wait and then possibly sign him for a minimum type deal. What type of deal he signs next may show what other teams really think of him. Lets see what happens.

Uriel
10-12-2021, 07:58 PM
If no NBA team picks him up and he wants to stay stateside, I really hope he considers signing a two-way deal (I know this is wishful thinking, but he may not have a choice if no one claims him off waivers.

Biggems
10-12-2021, 08:53 PM
So what happened with Samanic?

offset formation
10-12-2021, 09:49 PM

precisely. especially in a world where the Spurs are well under .500 and long out of the playoff hunt. it's inexcusable to me that he doesn't get minutes last year when his defensive effort was there for all of us to see. so much so that pop said Luka had earned more PT. then, sit the bench for a month in a wasted season.

that on top of the heavy minutes he gave Bryn 2 yrs ago forever ruined my pop fandom moving forward.

MultiTroll
10-12-2021, 09:55 PM
He didn't drink wine and laugh at Pops jokes at the dinners.

No one knows for sure right now. Appears time will tell.

exstatic
10-12-2021, 10:04 PM

He was put into the Orlando game in the last 4 minutes, with the game still in doubt, and literally stood and watched an Orlando fast break, rather than run back and contest. For the umpteenth time in two years, he showed that he just doesn’t GAF. It wasn’t just that one play. He’s been doing that shit since his first few games in Austin in 2019. It was, however, the last straw.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
10-12-2021, 10:04 PM
Kai Jones - New York Knicks
Saddiq Bey - Brooklyn Nets
Luka Samanic - San Antonio Spurs
Kevin Huerter - Atlanta Hawks
John Collins - Atlanta Hawks
Malik Beasley - Denver Nuggets
Jerian Grant - Washington Wizards
Gary Harris - Chicago Bulls
Sergey Karasev - Cleveland Cavaliers
Andrew Nicholson - Orlando Magic
Tobias Harris - Charlotte Bobcats
Avery Bradley - Boston Celtics
Jeff Teague - Atlanta Hawks
JJ Hickson - Cleveland Cavaliers
Javaris Crittenton - Los Angeles Lakers
Quincy Douby - Sacramento Kings
Hakim Warrick - Memphis Grizzlies
Dorell Wright - Miami Heat
Sasha Pavlovic - Utah Jazz
Ryan Humphrey - Utah Jazz
Zach Randolph - Portland Trail Blazers
Jamaal Magloire - Charlotte Hornets

---------------

more hits than i would have expected drafting #19

MultiTroll
10-12-2021, 11:14 PM

He was put into the Orlando game in the last 4 minutes, with the game still in doubt, and literally stood and watched an Orlando fast break, rather than run back and contest.
As you might expect a sniffy embellished account.
But Luka did only chase the guy for a few steps then slowed in to a jog as he conceded the breakaway. Probably no way he was going to block the guy but still a very bad look.
Here, see for yourself:
6:52 - 6:58

https://youtu.be/bxucdTEwPLU?t=412

another view

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/top-dunks-orlando-magic-vs-004200954.html

Mr. Body
10-12-2021, 11:35 PM
But Luka did only chase the guy for a few steps then slowed in to a jog as he conceded the breakaway. Probably no way he was going to block the guy but still a very bad look.
Here, see for yourself:

another view

I know some downplay this sequence as what cut him. Obviously it didn't cut him -- he'd shown plenty of laziness and ineffectual play before -- but this is the sort of insta-cut play that's bizarre to see from a guy fighting for his career in the league. I don't think I've ever seen a player just give up like that. What if he caught up? What if the layup was muffed?

Samanic might have been dangling from a thread before this play, but it absolutely cut it. It's so bad, I'm not sure other teams will look at him for a while. Best he can do is go back to Europe and grow some maturity right quick.

raybies
10-13-2021, 12:28 AM
I know some downplay this sequence as what cut him. Obviously it didn't cut him -- he'd shown plenty of laziness and ineffectual play before -- but this is the sort of insta-cut play that's bizarre to see from a guy fighting for his career in the league. I don't think I've ever seen a player just give up like that. What if he caught up? What if the layup was muffed?

Samanic might have been dangling from a thread before this play, but it absolutely cut it. It's so bad, I'm not sure other teams will look at him for a while. Best he can do is go back to Europe and grow some maturity right quick.

Yep, finish what he started. The fucked up thing is he burned bridges over there... He's so talented, some team may take a chance but... we'll see.

PhantomDashCam
10-13-2021, 03:27 AM
I wonder whether Luka’s hand fracture (and his subsequent response to it) played a role in his ultimate departure too.

With the controversy surrounding Spurs medical on more than one occasion, his decision to play for his National team against the likely wishes of PATFO and co. would only place further strain on a tenuous alliance.

Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if heading into camp he was unaware of how much is role, not only in the rotation, but the organisation was valued heading into that first pre season game.

Maybe on Season 2 of Marvel’s ‘What If….’

Maddog
10-13-2021, 05:38 AM
Here, see for yourself:

another view

And the play right after that one wasn't too good either

Dex
10-13-2021, 08:39 AM
0IaX3XPFpaI

Keldon speaks a bit about the situation here but doesn't really give much info.

poopbox
10-13-2021, 08:55 AM
Damn so now Luka is the only person in the history of the nba to jog back and give up a fast break layup :rollin

MultiTroll
10-13-2021, 09:01 AM

Samanic might have been dangling from a thread before this play, but it absolutely cut it. It's so bad, I'm not sure other teams will look at him for a while. Best he can do is go back to Europe and grow some maturity right quick.Like he wanted to be waived / already knew he was going to be waived.
NBA teams don't tell a player he is being waived and then play him another game, do they?

I wonder whether Luka’s hand fracture (and his subsequent response to it) played a role in his ultimate departure too.

With the controversy surrounding Spurs medical on more than one occasion, his decision to play for his National team against the likely wishes of PATFO and co. would only place further strain on a tenuous alliance.

Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if heading into camp he was unaware of how much is role, not only in the rotation, but the organisation was valued heading into that first pre season game.
Don't play for the National team while CIA Popped is allowed to bandwagon the Olympic Commercialization Games? Or you mean due to injury healing?
Also why would he feel "valued" after seeing Aldridge and Bryn get minutes then get paid handsomely to become a Net phaggot.
Nonetheless he could have valued his opportunity, absolutely. Again on that play it's like he knew he was getting waived / wanted to be waived.
Maybe he has some super hot Euro girlfriend who wants him to live there. Then again with the bank NBA players make one can easily afford to move in a GF.

I think it gave tons of info, while true no details.
"Things didn't work out how both sides wanted it to."

cd98
10-13-2021, 09:25 AM
Damn so now Luka is the only person in the history of the nba to jog back and give up a fast break layup :rollin

That's the one thing from James Harden's game that I wish he didn't make a part of his game.

Fireball
10-13-2021, 09:27 AM

of course it happens but if I knew that I can be cut from the team I would give 110% in those PS games .... shots not falling can always happen but not hustling is not acceptable

Dex
10-13-2021, 09:27 AM
That's the one thing from James Harden's game that I wish he didn't make a part of his game.

Apparently you can get away with it when you are an MVP caliber scorer...hell, this happens all the time in NBA games for lesser players.

But obviously not a good look when you are still fighting for the 15th spot in training camp.

lefty
10-13-2021, 09:47 AM
To be fair, SPurs social media is annoying AF, maybe he is just decluttering his timelines :lol

Dex
10-13-2021, 10:01 AM
I think it gave tons of info, while true no details.
"Things didn't work out how both sides wanted it to."

Yeah, there are definitely some implications in the things he chooses to say....and also the things he chooses not to say.

Personally, it came off to me like he didn't want to throw his friend under the bus but also didn't seem overly surprised by the decision.

R. DeMurre
10-13-2021, 10:18 AM
Apparently you can get away with it when you are an MVP caliber scorer...hell, this happens all the time in NBA games for lesser players.

But obviously not a good look when you are still fighting for the 15th spot in training camp.

True... Westbrook doesn't get back on D at least 3 or 4 times every game. That's why it annoys me when people say he gives such incredible effort. He gives incredible effort when he feels like it, but he has no problem lagging behind multiple plays a game barking at or staring down the refs either, and letting his teammates play 4 on 5 defense.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
10-13-2021, 10:52 AM
Yeah, there are definitely some implications in the things he chooses to say....and also the things he chooses not to say.

Personally, it came off to me like he didn't want to throw his friend under the bus but also didn't seem overly surprised by the decision.

keldon: I love the putz but damn did you see him give zero-point-zero percent effort on that fast break?

exstatic
10-13-2021, 10:58 AM

Borderline players can’t get away with that shit. False equivalence. He just got way too comfortable having guaranteed money this year.

The Truth #6
10-13-2021, 12:11 PM
I think focusing on one play misses the overall picture.

He has some challenges with motivation that is likely much deeper, possibly diagnosable with his mood, if I had to guess. He didn’t fit in. We can only speculate how much Pop supported him. My guess it was like Bertrans: underutilized until year 3, unfortunately Luka had already given up hope of being given a chance by then.

PhantomDashCam
10-13-2021, 12:36 PM
Don't play for the National team while CIA Popped is allowed to bandwagon the Olympic Commercialization Games? Or you mean due to injury healing?
Also why would he feel "valued" after seeing Aldridge and Bryn get minutes then get paid handsomely to become a Net phaggot.
Nonetheless he could have valued his opportunity, absolutely. Again on that play it's like he knew he was getting waived / wanted to be waived.
Maybe he has some super hot Euro girlfriend who wants him to live there. Then again with the bank NBA players make one can easily afford to move in a GF.

Yeah, the time required to fully heal, monitoring of rehab etc. would likely fall outside the Spurs’ purview in that timeframe.

Luka deserves the lion’s share of responsibility for what transpired leading to his dismissal, I believe that’s undeniable. However, it’s not like the Spurs should be absolved from their role in this.

It was only 10 months ago when Trey Lyles was seemingly entrenched as a part of the Spurs starting lineup, and team’s future plans appearing in the adverts for the new fiesta unis and the like.

In two of the more difficult years for basketball growth and development, and taking into account cultural differences and Spurs assimilation, Luka always seemed to be on the outer.

D-Robinson 50 fan
10-13-2021, 01:20 PM
I find it funny that the usual suspects are doing what they usually do and blame Pop for a player most on this site was calling a scrub before getting cut. Lol.

Luka for all his limited flashes of potential couldn’t beat out lesser players for time. He was too inconsistent in his effort level and supposedly (due to reports on this site and others) remembering where he should be on the court.

last season while in the G-League Luka played with a more consistent level but he also was heavily featured offensively. His 1st G-League season his effort level and body language wasn’t the greatest when he didn’t get the ball regularly on offense. This sadly was one of the knocks on him reported by Mike Schmitz and a few other draft experts. Even some people on this site who watched him in Europe pointed out his moody nature and inconsistencies on the court.

the fact of the matter is Luka never really improved (besides getting more muscle) his knowledge or skill levels to be effective. The guy barely gave solid effort when he did get nba minutes

weebo
10-13-2021, 01:33 PM
the sammich guy sucked....below average to average nba talent across the board...he got to the nba thinking he was going to bully scrubs around like he did in soft euro...boy got scared at the elite talent in the nba... he damn well knows he can't hang...oh ya and lol at getting your feelers hurt because some grumpy old man yells at you...if you can't handle pop yelling at you what the hell are you going to do when you're asked to hit a shot in the waning seconds of a game to help your team....next lonnie walker...ive seen enough of him live to know that dude isn't a real nba player...athletically talented sure but no basketball heart or brain

MultiTroll
10-13-2021, 01:59 PM
0IaX3XPFpaI
Spurs related side point Keldon answering the reporter who inquired about his watching film of other players and suggesting Kobme.
I was saddened to hear "Kobme" altho i guess one could learn some offensive moves that he copied from Jordan.

Much rather hear Keldon learn things from Ginobili, which later in the q and a he said he looked fwd to working with Manu. :tu

exstatic
10-13-2021, 02:39 PM
Yeah, the time required to fully heal, monitoring of rehab etc. would likely fall outside the Spurs’ purview in that timeframe.

Luka deserves the lion’s share of responsibility for what transpired leading to his dismissal, I believe that’s undeniable. However, it’s not like the Spurs should be absolved from their role in this.

It was only 10 months ago when Trey Lyles was seemingly entrenched as a part of the Spurs starting lineup, and team’s future plans appearing in the adverts for the new fiesta unis and the like.

In two of the more difficult years for basketball growth and development, and taking into account cultural differences and Spurs assimilation, Luka always seemed to be on the outer.

Trey Lyles wasn’t even in the rotation last year, and you’re putting him in the SL in January? I think it was 9-10 months earlier than that, right before the shutdown in the spring of 2020 that Trey was playing, and starting a few games. Much closer to two years.

PhantomDashCam
10-13-2021, 04:42 PM
Trey Lyles wasn’t even in the rotation last year, and you’re putting him in the SL in January? I think it was 9-10 months earlier than that, right before the shutdown in the spring of 2020 that Trey was playing, and starting a few games. Much closer to two years.

In November 2020, Spurs unveiled their fiesta uniforms featuring DW, KJ, DJ, Lonnie and Trey Lyles. Four of those guys are still with the team.

In the preseason of December 2020, Trey Lyles was heavily featured in the 3 pre season games. He played so poorly and pressed so greatly that he was subject of much scorn on these very threads.

We can argue over the semantics but Trey was penciled in as a key rotation piece for the 2020-2021 season (and likely starter), before his game was exposed in those ensuing performances.

And if you are going to say “it was only preseason…”, have a look at the thread we’re in and the current slate of games being played.

D-Robinson 50 fan
10-13-2021, 05:03 PM
Free post.

MultiTroll
10-13-2021, 06:07 PM
48 hours has passed.
Did he clear waivers?

Leetonidas
10-13-2021, 06:12 PM
Surprised we haven't heard a peep about anyone even being interested. I guess getting cut from a bottom feeder like SA that is clearly devoid of talent at the F spot is not a good look at all:lol

exstatic
10-13-2021, 06:47 PM
In November 2020, Spurs unveiled their fiesta uniforms featuring DW, KJ, DJ, Lonnie and Trey Lyles. Four of those guys are still with the team.

In the preseason of December 2020, Trey Lyles was heavily featured in the 3 pre season games. He played so poorly and pressed so greatly that he was subject of much scorn on these very threads.

We can argue over the semantics but Trey was penciled in as a key rotation piece for the 2020-2021 season (and likely starter), before his game was exposed in those ensuing performances.

And if you are going to say “it was only preseason…”, have a look at the thread we’re in and the current slate of games being played.

He was inactive for the whole bubble to end the previous season. Not benched. Inactive. That was with LaMarcus away from the team. But, you think because he played some preseason games, and modeled the new uni, that he was key in their plans. Well, OK, then.

Dejounte
10-13-2021, 06:53 PM
0IaX3XPFpaI

bro wtf he was choking up and looked like he wanted to cry when he was asked about Luka

PhantomDashCam
10-13-2021, 07:38 PM
He was inactive for the whole bubble to end the previous season. Not benched. Inactive. That was with LaMarcus away from the team. But, you think because he played some preseason games, and modeled the new uni, that he was key in their plans. Well, OK, then.

Did you look into why he was inactive?
https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/trey-lyles-out-for-season-suffers-appendicitis

Not sure why you’re digging your heels in here. We can differ in opinion about Trey’s supposed role heading into the 2020-2021 season.

The data though, (key dates, playing time, honorary team representation) suggests that Trey was thought of highly within the organisation during that time.

Ocotillo
10-13-2021, 08:40 PM
Pop cut Sammich so he wouldn't have to give him minutes tonight.

MultiTroll
10-14-2021, 08:36 AM
:wakeup
https://youtu.be/tCIz2lX7Kro
:pop: "Luka worked hard. He tried his best......Always difficult when you have to tell someone you're going to go with another player. He's got a lot of skills and hopefully it will translate and he'll find a situation where those skills can be used."

Phenomanul
10-14-2021, 08:43 AM
Mavs will pick him up or some other rival... and he will routinely go off against the Spurs...

C-Dub
10-14-2021, 09:04 AM
I think Cuban will sign him and he will play pretty good for the Mavericks and give the Spurs fits over the coming years. The bright side is that we have Primo & Keldon to look forward to.

MannyIsGod
10-14-2021, 09:16 AM
This thread is amazing. Those of you who are upset are acting like the guy was never given a chance when he even started games last year. He was bad, really really bad when he wasn't playing garbage time meaningless minutes and even then he was usually awful. He's had years to show some improvement and Everytime he's been on the court this year it's debatable weather he'd even maintained his below NBA level of play.

He's just not good. Spurs took a shot and missed, but I honestly don't care much about him being waived.

Biggems
10-14-2021, 01:11 PM
We were winning at the time. He could have altered the shot or even made him earn 2 the hard way. He completely dogged it. He has been a waste of space since we drafted him. Good riddance.

MultiTroll
10-14-2021, 01:18 PM
If no team attempts to sign him that will be further telling.

Altho at this late stage he could certainly sign later on in the season.

Degoat
10-14-2021, 01:29 PM
I wonder if there’s a particular player the spurs expect to be cut from there team right now to fill the 2 way spot they have open

MultiTroll
10-14-2021, 02:55 PM
We were winning at the time. He could have altered the shot or even made him earn 2 the hard way. He completely dogged it. He has been a waste of space since we drafted him. Good riddance.
That would have resulted in Clear-Path-To-The Basket-Foul.

But yes he could and should have chased him and at least attempted to alter shot without fouling.

Rocalcio
10-14-2021, 05:04 PM
the sammich guy sucked....below average to average nba talent across the board...he got to the nba thinking he was going to bully scrubs around like he did in soft euro...boy got scared at the elite talent in the nba... he damn well knows he can't hang...oh ya and lol at getting your feelers hurt because some grumpy old man yells at you...if you can't handle pop yelling at you what the hell are you going to do when you're asked to hit a shot in the waning seconds of a game to help your team....next lonnie walker...ive seen enough of him live to know that dude isn't a real nba player...athletically talented sure but no basketball heart or brain

Euro isn’t soft, try to play in Turkey or Greece, they’re violent…

Biggems
10-14-2021, 07:55 PM

But yes he could and should have chased him and at least attempted to alter shot without fouling.

no it wouldn't.....had he hustled back, he could have tried to block the shot.....fouling on the way up would simply be 2 FTs....

TD 21
10-15-2021, 12:00 PM
Shams Charania on Twitter: "The New York Knicks and former Spurs first-round pick Luka Samanic have agreed on a two-way contract, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium." / Twitter (https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1449057478935785472)

emanueldavidginobili
10-15-2021, 12:07 PM
Wow good for him, one of his best overall performances was against the Knicks.

K...
10-15-2021, 12:09 PM
Knocks Fucking wanna punnish us for pozinga tampering?

Atl Spur
10-15-2021, 12:14 PM
He can’t handle that media outlet.......may be back in Europe sooner than later��

exstatic
10-15-2021, 12:36 PM
Knicks don’t want a conference rival picking up the Randle Stopper.

LOL, picking through our trash can.

Dex
10-15-2021, 12:42 PM
Going from Coach Pop to Coach Thibs, that should certainly help this young man's confidence issues and attitude.

I guess Larry Brown wasn't available?

lefty
10-15-2021, 12:51 PM
Knicks fans :

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FBwWw54XoAQ-lfq?format=jpg&name=large

MultiTroll
10-15-2021, 12:51 PM

no it wouldn't.....had he hustled back, he could have tried to block the shot.....fouling on the way up would simply be 2 FTs....
Clear-Path-To-The Basket-Foul | NBA Official (https://official.nba.com/trigger/clear-path-to-the-basket-foul/)

MultiTroll
10-15-2021, 12:55 PM
Knicks.
Well, it appears Sniffers and Realists alike are going to get an answer.

raybies
10-15-2021, 12:55 PM
Truly wish him the best. Hope he can salvage his career.

BWS-1994
10-15-2021, 12:57 PM
Knocks Fucking wanna punnish us for pozinga tampering?

Oh, I thought you meant that Kevin Knox now available due to Samanic signing.

MultiTroll
10-15-2021, 01:08 PM
Who is the player on the Spurs that "we are going to go with?" - Pop paraphrase.
If we assume Luka was PF only and not SF / PF?

PF depth chart:
Doug McDermott
Drew Eubanks
Keita Bates-Diop
Al-Farouq Aminu

Ocotillo
10-15-2021, 01:21 PM
Who is the player on the Spurs that "we are going to go with?" - Pop paraphrase.

PF depth chart:
Doug McDermott
Drew Eubanks
Keita Bates-Diop
Al-Farouq Aminu

I think they have Zack Collins penciled in as a PF should he live to play another day. Thad Young will also swing between C and PF unless he is shipped out.

ceperez
10-15-2021, 02:47 PM
Shams Charania on Twitter: "The New York Knicks and former Spurs first-round pick Luka Samanic have agreed on a two-way contract, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium." / Twitter (https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1449057478935785472)

Well, I guess he landed in a playoff bound team. Spurs will be lucky to make the playoffs this year. :-(

Leetonidas
10-15-2021, 02:53 PM
Well, I guess he landed in a playoff bound team. Spurs will be lucky to make the playoffs this year. :-(

They were severely embarrassed in the first round with HCA :lol I'd rather miss the playoffs tbh. Knicks roster is pretty meh. Not convinced adding broken down Kemba or Fournier is going to change much

Robz4000
10-15-2021, 02:55 PM

PF depth chart:
Doug McDermott
Drew Eubanks
Keita Bates-Diop
Al-Farouq Aminu

Brent Forms obviously. Pop is prepared to deploy him as the team's Swiss army knife.

exstatic
10-15-2021, 03:08 PM

PF depth chart:
Doug McDermott
Drew Eubanks
Keita Bates-Diop
Al-Farouq Aminu

KJ is more of a PF than McBuckets. Also, you forgot Thad.

Uriel
10-15-2021, 03:49 PM
If he was just going to do a two-way, I wish he had done it with us.

baseline bum
10-15-2021, 04:07 PM
Truly wish him the best. Hope he can salvage his career.

I hope he gets AIDS

weebo
10-15-2021, 04:43 PM
Euro isn’t soft, try to play in Turkey or Greece, they’re violent…

violence doesn't make them elite talent :lol

Mr. Body
10-15-2021, 05:37 PM

Oh, I think he was dunzo with the Spurs. After that no-assed give-up on the break, he didn't even last to the scrimmage. 'Sides, Keita was the choice.

heyheymymy
10-15-2021, 07:35 PM

PF depth chart:
Doug McDermott
Drew Eubanks
Keita Bates-Diop
Al-Farouq Aminu

In that context wouldn't it be Eubanks or KBD since they were also likely to be cut.

Perhaps Aminu is implied here as well but Zollins isn't really a factor this season

exstatic
10-15-2021, 07:40 PM

That was never going to happen. He had to have been stung, getting cut like that.

KobesAchilles
10-15-2021, 07:47 PM
Knicks ain’t making the playoffs this year

lefty20
10-16-2021, 01:06 AM

Is it even possible to resign the same player with a two-way contract after cutting his guaranteed contract?

I could've sworn that there was a rule about having to wait till next year, but that may be for traded players only.

Rocalcio
10-16-2021, 06:20 AM
violence doesn't make them elite talent :lol

You were talking about being soft, it is not.

Rocalcio
10-16-2021, 06:21 AM

That was my wish too, if the money was the problem. I hope he does fine there. Maybe being waived by us can trigger something so he realizes he needs to move his ass and not just rely on the potential skills he probably really have. It’s like a warning for him.

John B
10-16-2021, 09:57 AM
That was my wish too, if the money was the problem. I hope he does fine there. Maybe being waived by us can trigger something so he realizes he needs to move his ass and not just rely on the potential skills he probably really have. It’s like a warning for him.

He got outworked by Keita and Drew who busted their behinds to improve their game. Luka has better skillset but has yet to get that hunger. The desire to win always drive winners, not just mere talent. I wish him well.

ace3g
10-16-2021, 06:08 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FB2n0jcXMAE0ybx?format=jpg&name=large

Mr. Body
10-16-2021, 06:38 PM
If he really is a right-wing douchebag, he's gonna love New York City.

HankChinaski
10-16-2021, 07:53 PM
Well the spurs did him a solid by releasing him and giving him a chance to join another NBA team. Maybe him getting cut allows him the opportunity to mature further as adult and not take this opportunity for granted.

He has the tools. Hopefully he puts it all together.

The Truth #6
10-16-2021, 08:37 PM
If he really is a right-wing douchebag, he's gonna love New York City.

I hadn’t heard that about his views. Where did that story come from?

tbdog
10-17-2021, 01:58 AM
Dante Exum, Pick 5 in 2014, waived. Also waived today was Pick 5 in 2016 (Kris Dunn) and Pick 9 in 2017 (Denis Smith Jr). All blown picks. Don't feel bad about pick 19 guys.

baseline bum
10-17-2021, 02:57 AM
I don't get why everyone is falling all over themselves to wish Samanic well. Fuck him, he was a waste of a pick and a waste of time. I'll root for Rudy Gay to do well, for Patty Mills and Lamarcus Aldridge, but not for a guy who didn't seem to put in the work to be a contributor.

raybies
10-17-2021, 03:24 AM
Its a humane thing not a spursian thing…

Wu36
10-17-2021, 03:25 AM
I like the cut as to not allow other young players to become complacent

r0drig0lac
10-17-2021, 05:39 AM
Thanks PATFO.

duncan2k5
10-17-2021, 06:18 AM
Luka had times where he balled his ass off only to be DNPCD the next game... There's only so much ppl can take before they're like "fuck this"... Even Kobe gave up in multiple games... Completely stopped trying... Should he have been cut too?

r0drig0lac
10-17-2021, 06:24 AM
Dejounte

I think you were the first to call that one in the game thread. GS lol

..and and some of us who understand the game said it shouldn't have been drafted in the first place.

Texas_Ranger
10-17-2021, 07:39 AM
Luka had times where he balled his ass off only to be DNPCD the next game... There's only so much ppl can take before they're like "fuck this"... Even Kobe gave up in multiple games... Completely stopped trying... Should he have been cut too?

when the fuck did he balled his ass off? Loser scored 10 or more 3 times in his career. He never looked good..... Spurs standards really went down the hill once the big 3 retired. No wonder people still think Poeltl and Murray are actually good at basketball.

KobesAchilles
10-17-2021, 08:27 AM
when the fuck did he balled his ass off? Loser scored 10 or more 3 times in his career. He never looked good..... Spurs standards really went down the hill once the big 3 retired. No wonder people still think Poeltl and Murray are actually good at basketball.
Shits exactly what I’ve been saying my man. I couldn’t agree more
Btw I said in July when we signed all our free agents that Luka wouldn’t have a spot on the team. It was pretty obvious then yet sniffers were all up in arms saying I was crazy. Luka has talent, he is young, he is growing, blah blah blah. When you convince yourself that mediocre is great then that’s how you lose a franchise for good. Glad to see the old man get rid of Luka. Now next on the chopping block is Lonnie and then hopefully Poeltl’s delusional ass demands a trade

ceperez
10-17-2021, 08:43 AM
The question every one should ask about Luka is whether he has made a play by an assist?

Sure he's got height and can hit the long ball, but can he pass?

Spurs acquired McDermot, Landale and Collins. What I've seen is the first two can pass. Also Collins when healthy is a bigger and better player than Samanic.

So it's actually a lot crowded in the space the Samanic fills up.

Leetonidas
10-17-2021, 09:24 AM

Putting that scrub Luka in the same sentence as Kobe :lmao :lmao

Luka has never "balled his ass off" let alone multiple times:lol

stephen jackson
10-17-2021, 09:24 AM
It wouldn’t surprise me if luka played like shit just to get out of sa and now will ball out with the knicks.

exstatic
10-17-2021, 10:22 AM
Dante Exum, Pick 5 in 2014, waived. Also waived today was Pick 5 in 2016 (Kris Dunn) and Pick 9 in 2017 (Denis Smith Jr). All blown picks. Don't feel bad about pick 19 guys.

I thought I heard via Twitter that Dennis Smith was going to make Portlands final roster. Did they change their minds and waive him?

TD 21
10-17-2021, 10:52 AM
I thought I heard via Twitter that Dennis Smith was going to make Portlands final roster. Did they change their minds and waive him?

Nah, he made it.

emanueldavidginobili
10-17-2021, 11:07 AM
Delete your account.

r0drig0lac
10-17-2021, 11:23 AM
People would be less upset if Johnson and Luka swap draft positions.

no, it would have been wasted pick anyway. There were a lot of better players and some of us called that on draft day, it was just one of the franchise's countless mistakes in recent years.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-17-2021, 01:42 PM

Lol comparing Luka to Kobe

duncan2k5
10-17-2021, 03:32 PM
Lol... I love how Spurs fans get so butthurt we forget how all of us were mad at pop for benching him after he had some good games, especially on defense... Y'all really act like hurt exes... I for one will always be objective and won't automatically erase from my memory all those times... We can literally go in the chat threads and bring up posts... But carry on

dbestpro
10-17-2021, 03:59 PM
To hate on Luca is to be a popsucker. If you are a popsucker then your a popsucker. Own it

tbdog
10-17-2021, 06:28 PM

Yeah, my mistake. He was waived by pistons a few months earlier though.

Gagnrath
10-19-2021, 03:33 AM
So a few things. I liked Luka's potential. I felt he was drafted higher than he should have been. Always kinda looked as the Keldon looks picks as switched. I wasn't a big fan of what we could see outside looking in as his chances. He tended towards end of the bench and never got steady play time. He had games where it looked like he was ready to progress and that was when he wouldn't sniff minutes for a couple of weeks. That said it also never really seemed like he did have or develop a big skills increase and his knowledge of where to be when never seemed quite where it should be. I hope he does well in new York. I also want Thad Young to become a new Kevin Willis for us where an older professional player contributes when and where he can and shows the new guys what hard work and preparation means.

TimDunkem
10-19-2021, 08:22 AM

Not to mention his debut was one of the worst I've ever seen for any player...

Dex
10-19-2021, 08:49 AM
Not to mention his debut was one of the worst I've ever seen for any player...

Yeah, I just don't get it either.

Sure, the dude had a decent looking shot and would occasionally make some positive plays on defense, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Luka-stans seemed to focus on those fleeting moments as proof that he was putting it together, and would conveniently forget the other 10 minutes he was on the floor looking like a lost puppy.

HankChinaski
10-19-2021, 09:14 AM
Guy was never consistent despite the tools physically available to himself. It is mostly disappointing.

Spurs we're not going to get anything for him. Releasing was inevitable.

The Truth #6
10-19-2021, 09:23 AM
Ehh, my thoughts are not so much praising Luka but critiquing the way he was developed. How do you never give a 19th pick big minutes to kick the tires? He did get minutes in the last meaningless bubble game, but that’s it as far as I remember. I think the development process was flawed, even if the player still sucks, so to speak.

TDomination
10-19-2021, 09:33 AM
Ehh, my thoughts are not so much praising Luka but critiquing the way he was developed. How do you never give a 19th pick big minutes to kick the tires? He did get minutes in the last meaningless bubble game, but that’s it as far as I remember. I think the development process was flawed, even if the player still sucks, so to speak.

i agree with this to a point. i wish Pop had just let him play 20 minutes a game for a month or 2 and see what happens. this is your 19th pick, you might as well throw him out there and see what he can do.

But knowing Pop, my assumption is that his effort/attitude during practice did not translate to someone who wanted to be a full time rotation player.
if you don't show it in practice, how can you expect it to magically happen during the games? unless you're allen iverson of course

offset formation
10-19-2021, 09:34 AM
i agree with this to a point. i wish Pop had just let him play 20 minutes a game for a month or 2 and see what happens. this is your 19th pick, you might as well throw him out there and see what he can do.

But knowing Pop, my assumption is that his effort/attitude during practice did not translate to someone who wanted to be a full time rotation player.
if you don't show it in practice, how can you expect it to magically happen during the games? unless you're allen iverson of course

we talking about practice...

baseline bum
10-19-2021, 09:44 AM

Because maybe you make him earn minutes instead of just having them handed to him?

The Truth #6
10-19-2021, 10:00 AM
Because maybe you make him earn minutes instead of just having them handed to him?

In theory yes, but this was done to such a degree that it’s poor asset management. There are plenty of times to give extended minutes to a player.

So, if you are in favor of the development process, that’s fine, it usually has worked well over the decades. But then the critique becomes “how could they draft so poorly?”

It’s easy to blame Luka and move on, but I think it pushes things under the rug, so to speak.

Trill Clinton
10-19-2021, 10:07 AM

Stop it

Trill Clinton
10-19-2021, 10:12 AM

Spurs are among the league best at developing their young talent. Why is it so hard for some of you to believe that he just isn't that good?

MultiTroll
10-19-2021, 10:13 AM
Damn straight.
https://static-10.sinclairstoryline.com/resources/media/c176b4c5-6d2c-4a26-8aef-13f310c8ff42-large16x9_905744460612x612.jpg?1539723006854

ChumpDumper
10-19-2021, 10:47 AM
Damn straight.
https://static-10.sinclairstoryline.com/resources/media/c176b4c5-6d2c-4a26-8aef-13f310c8ff42-large16x9_905744460612x612.jpg?1539723006854Luka with Bryn or Patty's work ethic would be a starter.

The Truth #6
10-19-2021, 11:09 AM
Spurs are among the league best at developing their young talent. Why is it so hard for some of you to believe that he just isn't that good?

First, their track record is trending in the wrong direction. Also, I wrote that his development was flawed even if he sucks. They hopefully learned something from the Luka disaster, which at the least is don’t draft problematic players. OR, if they do, then take a different approach. Lonnie’s development sucks also, and he isn’t a malcontent.

MultiTroll
10-19-2021, 11:13 AM
Luka with Bryn or Patty's work ethic would be a starter.
Damn straight.
https://cdn.nba.net/nba-drupal-prod/styles/half_bleed_640w/s3/2019-03/spurs-coffee-gang-screengrab.jpg?itok=TxZ0tjlR

baseline bum
10-19-2021, 11:36 AM
In theory yes, but this was done to such a degree that it’s poor asset management. There are plenty of times to give extended minutes to a player.

So, if you are in favor of the development process, that’s fine, it usually has worked well over the decades. But then the critique becomes “how could they draft so poorly?”

It’s easy to blame Luka and move on, but I think it pushes things under the rug, so to speak.

I'm going to blame Samanic. The Spurs have been strong for decades with player development from fixing Tony Parker's and Kawhi Leonard's completely broken shots to pulling nobodies like Malik Rose, Stephen Jackson, and Danny Green off the scrap heap and making them into valuable players to taking low draft picks like George Hill, Dejounte Murray, and Derrick White and developing them into important rotation players.

Leetonidas
10-19-2021, 11:54 AM
I'm going to blame Samanic. The Spurs have been strong for decades with player development from fixing Tony Parker's and Kawhi Leonard's completely broken shots to pulling nobodies like Malik Rose, Stephen Jackson, and Danny Green off the scrap heap and making them into valuable players to taking low draft picks like George Hill, Dejounte Murray, and Derrick White and developing them into important rotation players.

This. The Spurs have made all kinds of scrubs look like players here only for them to get overpaid somewhere else and ride the pine :lol

No other team hits as consistently with late picks than SA. Even Kyle Anderson is a hot trade commodity right now. You can't win em all, so for there to be so much ire over a 19th pick not panning out is kinda humorous. Most picks average 5 years in the league, meaning the vast majority are busts, and Luka clearly had huge bust potential from day one. the fact that he had to sign a two-way deal is proof enough that he really isnt that good to begin with

TimDunkem
10-19-2021, 12:00 PM
Because they still believe the Spurs can do no wrong with draft picks, and it's only Pop's fault for not playing them. Just because a few benched rookies ended up becoming someone, they assume every pick that doesn't get PT is going through the same ordeal. Truth is, Puka Sammich just sucks and has a shitty attitude.

The Truth #6
10-19-2021, 12:01 PM

Fair. But we aren’t developing only role players now. And our staff has been gutted except for Chip. And Luka had a higher ceiling than Forbes or Malik or whoever.

But let’s say they still develop well, which I’m beginning to question, then it was a horrible draft analysis to get him. It’s a bad look.

exstatic
10-19-2021, 03:53 PM
First, their track record is trending in the wrong direction. Also, I wrote that his development was flawed even if he sucks. They hopefully learned something from the Luka disaster, which at the least is don’t draft problematic players. OR, if they do, then take a different approach. Lonnie’s development sucks also, and he isn’t a malcontent.
The commonality of both picks is that they were high order athletes, drafted for that reason. Lonnie with a 33” vertical is second round to Undrafted. If you’re trying to reload, you have to take more chances then when you’re filling pieces in on a contender.

buttsR4rebounding
10-19-2021, 04:30 PM

Exactly! Pop sucking Gay’s nuts last year was unexplainable.

B1gduff
10-19-2021, 06:51 PM

There track record is trending the wrong direction? your joking right? or did you just pull this from your ass?

Look at the draft history for the past 5 years and tell me there heading the wrong direction with their development.

Dennis the Menace
10-19-2021, 07:01 PM
There’s a reason the vast majority of fans screamed WTF on draft night. Drafting him was painful to watch.

The Truth #6
10-19-2021, 08:37 PM
There track record is trending the wrong direction? your joking right? or did you just pull this from your ass?

Look at the draft history for the past 5 years and tell me there heading the wrong direction with their development.

Luka never improved and was cut before his his third season.

Walker hasn’t improved one bit either and wasn’t offered an extension.

Yak has shown almost no improvement.

Keldon can still barely hit a jumper even though that’s the single thing he needs to do most.

White seems to have plateaued.

Eubanks and DJ look improved, though.

Those are examples of trending in the wrong direction.

dbestpro
10-19-2021, 09:04 PM

Yeah, these players are awesome with a projected 30 game win season at best. Truth is Luca sucks but so does every other player on this team.

Dverde
10-20-2021, 01:51 PM
He wiped his Twitter, just black on his profile picture.

exstatic
10-20-2021, 01:59 PM
He wiped his Twitter, just black on his profile picture.

Found out he can only spend 45 days in NYC, so he’s mad at them, too.

BillMc
10-21-2021, 09:41 AM
He didn't play for the Knicks yesterday. Is he on their G-league team or did they cut him?

Kinda think he'll be out of the league soon.

rjv
10-21-2021, 09:46 AM
He didn't play for the Knicks yesterday. Is he on their G-league team or did they cut him?

yeah, his stock is plummeting fast.

MultiTroll
10-21-2021, 10:05 AM

He's on a two way contract.
Not sure where he was last night.

Knicks and Celtics both seriously overplayed their starters. OT and 2nd OT looked like a bad YMCA game.
Wouldn't conclude Luka is gone if he doesn't play for the Knicks. But yes that would be a step backword if he never plays the whole season.
BSPN shows him as on the Knicks roster.

Wonder if when on a 2 way contract if one can stay in the big teams city (NY) and not have to go to the G League team?
Pussy Central for Luka if he is single. Fark what an upgrade!

BillMc
10-21-2021, 10:07 AM

So, you're saying he won't spend his nights watching game film? :lol

exstatic
10-21-2021, 10:10 AM
He's on a two way contract.
Not sure where he was last night.

Knicks and Celtics both seriously overplayed their starters. OT and 2nd OT looked like a bad YMCA game.
Wouldn't conclude Luka is gone if he doesn't play for the Knicks. But yes that would be a step backword if he never plays the whole season.
BSPN shows him as on the Knicks roster.

Wonder if when on a 2 way contract if one can stay in the big teams city (NY) and not have to go to the G League team?

If the two way rules are back to normal, he can only spend 45 days with the big club. Not 45 games, 45 days. That includes practice days, travel days, game days, and off days.

MultiTroll
10-21-2021, 10:31 AM
So, you're saying he won't spend his nights watching game film? :lol
:rollin

Who knows this could be the motivational push Luka needs?

Trill Clinton
10-21-2021, 10:54 AM
:madrunWHY DIDN'T THIBS GIVE LUKA ANY PLAYING TIME?!!!! HE IS STUNTING HIS DEVELOPMENT! A DOUBLE OT GAME AND NO LUKA???? WTF MAN. THIBS NEEDS TO GET OVER HIMSELF:madrun

Kurgan
10-21-2021, 10:57 AM

There was no way Knicks were going to play him in a close, double OT game against the Celtics. Sam will be lucky to get playing time in a blowout win