PDA

View Full Version : Thad Young Questions

SAGirl
10-15-2021, 11:17 AM
I only watched him a couple of times and his fit in this team hasn't looked good. Maybe there's lack of chemistry or this goes deeper.

Is he just lacking chemistry with others? Washed up? Is he a small ball center? Can he play the 4? In what lineups?

Finally, do you see him getting traded? Bc I only see that if the Spurs are buyers (kinda like Chicago was). By himself he doesn't look worth trading for. He's in a pricey contract, expensive for a bench big that's just blending in, is getting old and will also be a free agent. Maybe as an expiring, but combining the Spurs avoidance of trades in general with the lack of many trades like these occurring recently, I see a midseason waived as the higher possibility.

Anyone have opinions on him. Hot takes? Cold measured, careful takes?

Twisted_Dawg
10-15-2021, 11:26 AM
Voted other. I think he's depressed about being traded to SA and isn't a bit motivated to play here. We'll face the same situation if Simmons is traded here.

emanueldavidginobili
10-15-2021, 11:29 AM
I think he certainly gets traded. He hasn't looked good but I think its lack of rhythm and rust. He brings a lot of intangibles to the game, the guy averaged 12-6-4-1-0.6 last year in 24 MPG. He'll contribute anywhere he goes even if it's here.

GAustex
10-15-2021, 11:52 AM
Is it Thad Carroll or DeMarre Young?
Brilliant move by poop.

Chinook
10-15-2021, 12:26 PM
People need to look at the difference between his first and second years in Chicago before they worry about him. Thad is going to take work to get him to play his best. The Spurs should be asking themselves if they're okay with putting in that work. If they're not, they should trade him now. If they are, then it reduces the likelihood that they move him at all.

exstatic
10-15-2021, 12:31 PM
Other. Not invested in team, knowing he will be traded.

SpurSpike
10-15-2021, 12:32 PM
I think it's because he knows that the Spurs are likely only a temporary situation and that he is likely to get traded. Once he is off the block I think he would find his place on this team.

TDomination
10-15-2021, 12:37 PM
I think it's because he knows that the Spurs are likely only a temporary situation and that he is likely to get traded. Once he is off the block I think he would find his place on this team.

agreed

R. DeMurre
10-15-2021, 01:10 PM
I don't think he's washed up-- he just finished one of the most productive years of his career a few months ago. Unfortunately, he doesn't fit the timeline for the Spurs. He's 33 now, and barring a major surprise trade, the Spurs are more than two years away from contending. I'm sure Milwaukee would love to add him. He could become much more valuable as trade bait if, as the season progresses, any starting bigs get injured for either L.A. team, Brooklyn, Miami, Golden State, Phoenix, etc...

Ocotillo
10-15-2021, 01:31 PM
I think he is shaking off rust and adjusting to a new team with new schemes. I have no problem with keeping him or trading him.

On the keeping him side of the ledger, I think it is good to have a veteran with a good attitude with this young bunch.

On the trading him side of the ledger, he may fill a slot until they know if Zollins will be playing before the trade deadline. If Zollins makes it back, Thad may be shipped to a contender, if not, he is a body with NBA experience who's contract runs out at the end of the season.

KingKev
10-15-2021, 02:01 PM
Awkward fit. Still believe he has something left in the tank but he doesn’t not fit the current timeline and he really can’t play play alongside Jak. I’m skeptical he could garner a first on his own hopefully we don’t buy him out and actually get something in return.

Drom John
10-15-2021, 02:06 PM
Declining but as good as Rudy Gay 2018-2019.

Leetonidas
10-15-2021, 02:11 PM
He's older and hasn't played really since what, May? Give him some time to get in shape and find his groove. Too many preseason overreactions

rjv
10-15-2021, 02:30 PM
young is trying to be a pro about his situation but it's clearly been a struggle for him.

Ocotillo
10-15-2021, 03:37 PM
Also, if Thad has one foot in the grave, they may want to grab that Phoenix offer before it's too late.

Chinook
10-15-2021, 04:37 PM
Also, if Thad has one foot in the grave, they may want to grab that Phoenix offer before it's too late.

If the Spurs want Smith, the offer might make sense. If they don't, then it's a negative offer. Literally releasing Thad would be better.

The Truth #6
10-15-2021, 06:12 PM
I don’t know if they know what they’re doing with Thad. More cynically, what can they do to weaken his value—that will be our approach with Thad. Hopefully I’m wrong. But they likely see him as insurance policy.

SAGirl
10-15-2021, 09:22 PM
Thanks to everyone that's responded.. It seems he's out of the rotation... I can't say he played well enough to beat Drew for m minutes. It sucks for him.

John B
10-16-2021, 01:44 AM
I feel that they took him to include in a trade package that has not materialized. Just take Suns offer and be done with it, instead of waiving for nothing. Or has that ship
sailed?

exstatic
10-16-2021, 08:47 AM
I feel that they took him to include in a trade package that has not materialized. Just take Suns offer and be done with it, instead of waiving for nothing. Or has that ship
sailed?

There is no injured reserve list in the NBA. If we take the Suns offer, we essentially lose a roster spot because Saric is out for the year, and will be on the 15 man roster.

The Suns gave Jalen Smith the 4th most minutes on the team this preseason, and the only team top 5 he could crack was blocks with 0.5, tied with PG Elfrid Payton. He just doesn’t do anything but stand there being tall. He doesn’t score. He doesn’t rebound. He doesn’t create defensive events.

JeffDuncan
10-16-2021, 09:20 AM
Thanks to everyone that's responded.. It seems he's out of the rotation... I can't say he played well enough to beat Drew for m minutes. It sucks for him.

It's lovely to be Thad Young. He's going to get paid $14 M this year whether he can play or not.

It is not lovely for the Spurs. That's the problem. It's a roster spot and 14 M for a player the Spurs don't seem to need.

MannyIsGod
10-16-2021, 09:29 AM
If I were a betting man, the odds on favorite action has to be a buy out. We all know the Spurs love saving money and right now it doesn't' seem as though there is a 1st rounder out there for Thad. I do believe they'd rather save money on his contract than trade him for seconds. He's a positive player, but if you play a specific way around him. Are the Spurs willing to make him the small ball 5? It sure doesn't look like it as Eubanks has held that role all preseason. As the season goes on does his value go up or go down? Probably down as he's not going to contribute much on this team it seems like. When he's out there he definitely seems like one of the smarter passing/positional players on the team, but he's not likely to be a difference maker for this team in almost any scenario so I can see why the Spurs would prefer to give minutes to Eubanks.

He is a good piece to keep around for trade purposes, though, so I doubt anything happens on him in the near term.

Degoat
10-16-2021, 12:13 PM
I’m puzzled about the whole Thad young situation lol last night was basically the dress rehearsal for the regular season and he doesn’t play one minute!? That has to point to a trade I would think especially since when he’s out there on the court you can tell he doesn’t have any chemistry with the team yet.

CGD
10-16-2021, 12:30 PM
Clearly he’s a trade in waiting. Probably messes with your head

KingKev
10-17-2021, 07:09 AM
If I were a betting man, the odds on favorite action has to be a buy out. We all know the Spurs love saving money and right now it doesn't' seem as though there is a 1st rounder out there for Thad. I do believe they'd rather save money on his contract than trade him for seconds. He's a positive player, but if you play a specific way around him. Are the Spurs willing to make him the small ball 5? It sure doesn't look like it as Eubanks has held that role all preseason. As the season goes on does his value go up or go down? Probably down as he's not going to contribute much on this team it seems like. When he's out there he definitely seems like one of the smarter passing/positional players on the team, but he's not likely to be a difference maker for this team in almost any scenario so I can see why the Spurs would prefer to give minutes to Eubanks.

He is a good piece to keep around for trade purposes, though, so I doubt anything happens on him in the near term.

I’m with you. Come trade deadline if we can’t get something for him which unless he is part of a bigger trade I suspect is the case the Spurs will work with him on a buyout. His contract is atleast easier to move than Aldridge last year but for better or worse we operate much differently than most of the league. If Thad plays nice and is patient he will end up on a contender via buyout and will probably come out even financially with the Spurs get left holding their d!cks in a classy way! I see that as a 50/50 possibility. I’m all for showcasing him aa the 6th or 7th guy off the bench for the first few months to at least get his value up.

8FOR!3
10-17-2021, 10:43 AM
Not the natural scorer Rudy Gay was. But was supposed to be a little bit better at everything else. I have a feeling that's still pretty accurate. But if he's lost a step on defense I don't see how he's going to help this team. We have zero use for an older player that can't shoot if he isn't going to be a force on the defensive end.

TD 21
10-17-2021, 10:49 AM
I don't see it as a matter of chemistry or being washed up. The reality is he's a four who'd ideally be paired with a stretch five, but the rotational fives on this team are both rim runners, so his best role on this team is small ball five. The problem is, they have more depth at the latter than the former.

I foresee limited minutes eventually leading to a mutual agreement whereby he's shutdown and away from the team while he awaits a trade (Celtics, Timberwolves, Suns, look like possibilities) or buyout.

FutureMan
10-17-2021, 04:09 PM
Boston just waived Parker. I wonder if they will take Young with their exception in exchange for a future 1st?

Degoat
10-17-2021, 05:08 PM
Boston just waived Parker. I wonder if they will take Young with their exception in exchange for a future 1st?

Idk if that’s the type of move Boston would make right now, maybe at the deadline. I’m wondering why we haven’t heard about Aminu being cut yet

exstatic
10-17-2021, 05:26 PM
Idk if that’s the type of move Boston would make right now, maybe at the deadline. I’m wondering why we haven’t heard about Aminu being cut yet

I think final cuts don’t have to be until COB Monday. They won’t do it until the last minute to allow for last minute trades.

FutureMan
10-17-2021, 06:15 PM

They seemed to like Parker so the only reason I see them cutting him is if they found someone better. The Celtics also have been under some pressure for not making enough improvements. So who knows!

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-18-2021, 06:00 AM
The guy’s hardly played in preseason. Considering he was pretty darn good last year I’d withhold judgment myself.

Kind of a harsh poll, tbh.

BillMc
10-21-2021, 09:50 AM
Tough on Thad. Comes off a career year to get DNPs on a non-contending team. Hope we trade him for his (and our) sakes.

rjv
10-21-2021, 09:56 AM
i feel bad for young and i don't even know much about him. but i hope he doesn't rot on the bench. he seems to deserve more than that fate.

exstatic
10-21-2021, 10:14 AM
Don’t feel too bad. In addition to collecting DNPs he’s also collecting $14M.

rjv
10-29-2021, 02:33 PM
with Patrick Williams now likely out for the season, maybe the bulls will want young back.

itzsoweezee
10-29-2021, 02:41 PM
The guy’s hardly played in preseason. Considering he was pretty darn good last year I’d withhold judgment myself.

Kind of a harsh poll, tbh.

Yeah. To conclude the guy can’t play based on lack of playing time with the Spurs is ridiculous. I’m guessing he gets moved or released sooner rather than later.

R. DeMurre
10-29-2021, 02:47 PM
I still like the trade because it includes a future first round pick and two seconds while clearing away DeRozan's minutes for the younger guys. Hopefully something can be gotten for Young and Aminu-- that would be a bonus. But if not, I still like the trade.

mo7888
10-29-2021, 03:37 PM
with Patrick Williams now likely out for the season, maybe the bulls will want young back.

I don't think we can trade him to the team we got him from.

SAGirl
10-31-2021, 12:38 AM
It seems like a Thad needs his own resurrection thread …

GAustex
10-31-2021, 12:59 AM
Well done Thad. Put in some quality minutes. Shook off the rust and got it done.

playbonner15
10-31-2021, 01:41 AM
Thad Young and Walker for Ayton?

John B
10-31-2021, 05:59 AM
Thad Young stocks going up again :rollin

RC_Drunkford
10-31-2021, 07:40 AM
Hope he got Eubanks spot on the roster now. That guy needs to be glued to the bench. Young is way better and we can increase his trade value.

CGD
10-31-2021, 07:45 AM
Goal needs to be to up his value by Feb. After that he’s really of little use to the team, beyond maybe 2 months of providing “intangibles/glue guy stuff.”

slick'81
10-31-2021, 09:01 AM
Thad Young stocks going up again :rollin

teams knocking down the spurs door as we speak :rollin

exstatic
11-01-2021, 11:56 AM
Phoenix just no-tendered Jalen Smith. He will be unrestricted next summer. Not a great look for Smith, or for Phoenix using the #10 pick on him.

Mr. Body
11-01-2021, 01:07 PM
Phoenix just no-tendered Jalen Smith. He will be unrestricted next summer. Not a great look for Smith, or for Phoenix using the #10 pick on him.

Phoenix is cheap as fuck. He was drafted too high, definitely, but he has some skills.

This likely puts to bed the rumors of Thad to PHX for Smith and Saric. It was probably dead for a while, but maybe Young starting to get some run and Smith getting declined right now means something.

RC_Drunkford
11-01-2021, 01:25 PM
trading Young by the deadline would be the best move. Let him play back up C until Zach Collins is ready and then trade him

exstatic
11-01-2021, 01:30 PM
Phoenix is cheap as fuck. He was drafted too high, definitely, but he has some skills.

This likely puts to bed the rumors of Thad to PHX for Smith and Saric. It was probably dead for a while, but maybe Young starting to get some run and Smith getting declined right now means something.

Don’t think it was money. He sucked pretty badly last year, and wasn’t exactly lighting the world on fire this season.

Smiths is trash, and Saric is out for the year. Phoenix was trying to get something for nothing. They had until yesterday to pick up the option. That’s all it means.

Chomag
11-01-2021, 01:30 PM
Just needs to get over himself before playing time per :pop: orders.

Come on fellas we know this...Pop never changes

Mr. Body
11-01-2021, 02:49 PM
Don’t think it was money. He sucked pretty badly last year, and wasn’t exactly lighting the world on fire this season.

Smiths is trash, and Saric is out for the year. Phoenix was trying to get something for nothing. They had until yesterday to pick up the option. That’s all it means.

I'd pretty strongly disagree with this. Smith has some good tools and we're now seeing a guy like Mo Bamba starting to come into his own. I'm not a fan of Smith, but bailing after one year is astonishing. He's not a bored, listless asshole like Samanic. This has money all over it, coming from the franchise that just outright sold good draft picks this past decade for the same reason.

exstatic
11-01-2021, 03:51 PM
I'd pretty strongly disagree with this. Smith has some good tools and we're now seeing a guy like Mo Bamba starting to come into his own. I'm not a fan of Smith, but bailing after one year is astonishing. He's not a bored, listless asshole like Samanic. This has money all over it, coming from the franchise that just outright sold good draft picks this past decade for the same reason.

Bambi’s a physical and athletic freak. His wingspan is like 7’8” or maybe 7’9”. Smith has nowhere near the physical or athletic attributes of Bamba. He just has no standout attributes, and isn’t a particularly hard worker to compensate for that lack. Sammich, with a tan.

Mr. Body
11-01-2021, 03:58 PM
If his work ethic is lacking, then, yeah. I'm not plugged into that information.

slick'81
11-01-2021, 08:34 PM
Thaddeus carrol is baaack baby

GAustex
11-06-2021, 10:59 AM
Gotta hand it to Thad
He is in there balling with his herky jerkey style
Heady high post passes and high energy D even when he is undersized. Flipping in those lefty hooks.
Good for Thad Young shedding the Carroll surname

Chinook
11-06-2021, 11:44 AM
Yeah, obviously the sample size is tiny, but you could argue he's having a top-three season in his career so far. I like Eubanks a fair bit, but the Spurs should be playing Young at center over him in the second unit. This is definitely an extended pre-season, but if the Spurs have any interest in making a playoff push, they can't afford to let their record get much worse. The upside of a Young-led bench is just too high.

John B
11-06-2021, 05:35 PM
Gotta hand it to Thad
Heady high post passes and high energy D even when he is undersized. Flipping in those lefty hooks.

He’s trying to get his stock up. I’m sure he has an understanding with Pop to send him to a contender for the right price.

jermaine
11-06-2021, 06:20 PM
Gotta hand it to Thad

I was thinking the same thing. Imma quit complaining about him.

GAustex
11-06-2021, 07:27 PM
Yep he ain’t all that
But
He is way better than nuthin

KingKev
11-08-2021, 11:39 AM
Yep he ain’t all that
But
He is way better than nuthin

I wonder if Thad, White and Walker IV could fetch a mid first or young asset and a bad contract for salary matching purposes.

jermaine
11-08-2021, 05:32 PM
I wonder if Thad, White and Walker IV could fetch a mid first or young asset and a bad contract for salary matching purposes.

Change Walker with Keldon an im on board

KingKev
11-08-2021, 05:52 PM
Change Walker with Keldon an im on board

Keldon is >>>>> Walker IV. Walker is a poor-man’s Lou Will. Like dead broke.

KingKev
12-02-2021, 07:39 PM
Sure most of you have seen this but didn’t see this posted anywhere else. He has been a total professional so far and is saying all the right things. Buyout imminent IMO.

https://www.kens5.com/amp/article/sports/nba/spurs/thaddeus-young-frustrated-playing-understands-the-state-spurs-franchise-nba-san-antonio/273-576bcdab-d3d6-4b80-b359-21ae40ef716d

Seventyniner
12-02-2021, 07:52 PM
Sure most of you have seen this but didn’t see this posted anywhere else. He has been a total professional so far and is saying all the right things. Buyout imminent IMO.

https://www.kens5.com/amp/article/sports/nba/spurs/thaddeus-young-frustrated-playing-understands-the-state-spurs-franchise-nba-san-antonio/273-576bcdab-d3d6-4b80-b359-21ae40ef716d

I'm sure the Spurs will try to trade him first, and they should be able to get a second-round pick at the very least.

I can totally understand Thad being frustrated. He's on the downslope of his career age-wise and I'm sure he would rather be playing for a contender, or at least playing significant minutes. Pop will want to do right by him, but if a middling team offers a first then I think Pop jumps on it. Thad's contract is expiring and he can ring-chase next year.

KingKev
12-02-2021, 07:59 PM
I'm sure the Spurs will try to trade him first, and they should be able to get a second-round pick at the very least.

I can totally understand Thad being frustrated. He's on the downslope of his career age-wise and I'm sure he would rather be playing for a contender, or at least playing significant minutes. Pop will want to do right by him, but if a middling team offers a first then I think Pop jumps on it. Thad's contract is expiring and he can ring-chase next year.

Yeah it’ll be tough to both, do right by Thad and get something we actually want in return. FRP is looking less likely from any playoff team and I don’t see us making a larger mid season trade of any sort which is why I came to that conclusion.

I remain curious if a package of Thad, White and Walker could bring in a longer term piece or a mid FRP and another vet on a less than ideal contract.

exstatic
12-02-2021, 08:10 PM
I think he’ll be traded, either in the early FA trade availability window this month, or on deadline day. If they weren’t looking to trade him, they’d be playing him more. I think they’re trying to play him enough to stay in game shape, without over exposing him to injury.

Chinook
12-02-2021, 08:30 PM
He should be playing more. If the goal is to trade him, Thad should be playing to boost his value. He's clearly still as good as he was last year, but him being benched for an inferior player is giving off the impression that the Spurs don't think he can help them win. If the Spurs are tanking, bench Young makes sense, but then Primo or at least Jones should be a solid rotation player over Forbes. Young is way more of a "helpful vet" like McDermott than Bryn, who directly competes with the team's top prospects for minutes. Sure, Young competes with Eubanks, Landale and eventually Collins. But two things: First, none of those guys matters. Second, if the goal is to trade Young, then there should be plenty of time to give those other players minutes later in the year once Young is off the team. It's not even like Pop is rotation Landale in to give him time. It's just Eubanks constantly getting in the rotation over Thad. I like Drew, but, no.

Seventyniner
12-02-2021, 10:14 PM
In other words....

Fvck!

PhantomDashCam
12-04-2021, 08:23 AM
https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/spurs-thad-young-frustrated-about-role-this-situation-is-not-ideal

Spurs' Thad Young frustrated about role: 'This situation is not ideal'

I think we all understand where he’s coming from but Spurs are not a fan of having terms dictated to them by players. This could get messy…

KingKev
12-04-2021, 08:46 AM
https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/spurs-thad-young-frustrated-about-role-this-situation-is-not-ideal

Spurs' Thad Young frustrated about role: 'This situation is not ideal'

I think we all understand where he’s coming from but Spurs are not a fan of having terms dictated to them by players. This could get messy…

This could work in our favour as PATFO will be less inclined to cater to his wishes and decide to trade him for the best return versus working with him to get him to a playoff team.

John B
12-04-2021, 08:58 AM
I think he’ll be traded, either in the early FA trade availability window this month, or on deadline day. If they weren’t looking to trade him, they’d be playing him more. I think they’re trying to play him enough to stay in game shape, without over exposing him to injury.

The sooner they trade him the better. I like his game but he’s not part of Spurs rebuilding and causing Landale precious on-court minutes. I’m not sure how much game-shape Zollins would be, but again I rather see him also.

I really think Morey handling of Simmon f%cked us up not able to include Thad in a potential 2-3 teams trade. But again the sooner Spurs trade him, the better the Spurs get back to rebuilding program.

jermaine
12-04-2021, 09:35 AM
Great interview... I like Thad Young. Constant pro.

Degoat
12-04-2021, 10:19 AM
I really don’t think Thad cares about being on a contender, he just wants to be somewhere that he gets consistent minutes

jeebus
12-04-2021, 10:20 AM
I really don’t think Thad cares about being on a contender, he just wants to be somewhere that he gets consistent minutes

Sounds to me like he wants to be on the Bulls

Chinook
12-04-2021, 10:45 AM
It looked like Pop responded to Young's words and played him in the rotation against Portland when he probably intended to give Eubanks the minutes (with it being a homecoming for Drew and all). For the first time as a Spur, Young really seemed to be pressing when he was on the court too. He didn't pick his spots as well and called his own number a bit more than he normally would. As much as I agree Young should just be in the rotation, it was kind of a dick move for him to make his frustrations apparently when he did. Drew probably had friends and family there, and he was left desperately trying to score in garbage time.

We'll see where it goes from here. As I've said before, Young could probably play a 20-24 MPG role on the team with the current group of players. If the Spurs want to win games this year, they should give him those minutes and not worry about guys like Collins and Landale. But not making a clear decision on him and Drew is likely to rub both players in a way that isn't great for chemistry. In theory, Young is a good fit on the Bulls, and it's a shame for him that he got moved because the teams couldn't agree on a Markkanen trade. But at the same time, I don't regret the Spurs not having Lauri on a big deal instead of a first and Young. They'll have to figure it out.

emanueldavidginobili
12-04-2021, 06:01 PM
This is a ESPN+ article "Five big trades that could shake up the NBA playoff picture"

Phoenix Suns (https://www.espn.com/nba/team/_/name/phx/phoenix-suns) bolster their frontcourtPhoenix receives:

Thaddeus Young (https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3244/thaddeus-young)

San Antonio receives:

Dario Saric (https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3032978/dario-saric)

Jalen Smith (https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/4397189/jalen-smith)

2024 first-round pick (top-eight protected)

2025 second-round pick

Bobby Marks: The Suns have a league-best 18-3 record, but they should not take a conservative approach with their roster. Yes, it is important not to disrupt team chemistry, but Phoenix can find a working balance on improving the team without trading any of its starters or rotational players.
While Saric was a key component last year, the forward tore his right ACL in the NBA Finals, and he is likely out for the entire 2021-22 season. He is under contract for next season but on a team-friendly $9.2 million contract. Smith was taken in the top 10 of the 2020 NBA Draft but recently saw the third-year option in his contract declined.
Young would not only give Phoenix another veteran presence but one who can play either forward position and provides an insurance policy at the backup center position. He is averaging a career-low 15.7 minutes this season for the retooling Spurs, but he has still managed to average 7.3 points and shoot 59.6% from the field.
Considering that Young is the top trade target of playoff teams, the cost to acquire him is rich in draft assets and less in players. The Suns owe Oklahoma City a first-round pick in 2022 from the Chris Paul (https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2779/chris-paul) trade and cannot send out a first-round pick until 2024. The pick would have top-eight protection in the next three seasons (2024, 2025 and 2026) and would turn into second-round picks in 2026 and 2027 if it is not conveyed.

Chinook
12-04-2021, 06:10 PM
Would take that but would have to include Eubanks for salary-matching purposes. If the Spurs included Collins, the Suns could probably keep that second.

KingKev
12-04-2021, 06:14 PM
Would take that but would have to include Eubanks for salary-matching purposes. If the Spurs included Collins, the Suns could probably keep that second.

Why would we include Collins and give up the second? Just to shed his salary?

exstatic
12-04-2021, 06:30 PM
Smith sucks, and Saric is on the shelf. Phoenix would love this, because it takes us out of the running to drop an offer for Ayton.

Mr. Body
12-04-2021, 07:23 PM
This is a ESPN+ article "Five big trades that could shake up the NBA playoff picture"

Phoenix Suns (https://www.espn.com/nba/team/_/name/phx/phoenix-suns) bolster their frontcourtPhoenix receives:

Thaddeus Young (https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3244/thaddeus-young)

San Antonio receives:

Dario Saric (https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3032978/dario-saric)

Jalen Smith (https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/4397189/jalen-smith)

2024 first-round pick (top-eight protected)

2025 second-round pick

Bobby Marks: The Suns have a league-best 18-3 record, but they should not take a conservative approach with their roster. Yes, it is important not to disrupt team chemistry, but Phoenix can find a working balance on improving the team without trading any of its starters or rotational players.
While Saric was a key component last year, the forward tore his right ACL in the NBA Finals, and he is likely out for the entire 2021-22 season. He is under contract for next season but on a team-friendly $9.2 million contract. Smith was taken in the top 10 of the 2020 NBA Draft but recently saw the third-year option in his contract declined.
Young would not only give Phoenix another veteran presence but one who can play either forward position and provides an insurance policy at the backup center position. He is averaging a career-low 15.7 minutes this season for the retooling Spurs, but he has still managed to average 7.3 points and shoot 59.6% from the field.
Considering that Young is the top trade target of playoff teams, the cost to acquire him is rich in draft assets and less in players. The Suns owe Oklahoma City a first-round pick in 2022 from the Chris Paul (https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2779/chris-paul) trade and cannot send out a first-round pick until 2024. The pick would have top-eight protection in the next three seasons (2024, 2025 and 2026) and would turn into second-round picks in 2026 and 2027 if it is not conveyed.

I like how ESPN pretends this isn't something people have been talking about since August.

Mr. Body
12-04-2021, 07:25 PM
Smith sucks, and Saric is on the shelf. Phoenix would love this, because it takes us out of the running to drop an offer for Ayton.

Why would the Spurs offer Ayton?

KingKev
12-04-2021, 08:18 PM
Any offer involving a FRP needs to be taken on site even if it means taking on a contract like Saric’s. San Antonio is probably the worst place for Jalen Smith to get a fresh start though.

Chinook
12-04-2021, 08:19 PM
Why would we include Collins and give up the second? Just to shed his salary?

Yeah, from the Spurs' perspective, they're only taking on the difference between Collins' 2022 salary and Saric's. I don't think there's a realistic chance that the Spurs waive Zach. That's not true for Phoenix, so they can save plenty of money. Saric is a good player, but the Spurs don't need a bunch of centers for another year in a row. Saric basically becomes Young for next year, though the Spurs can certainly try him at PF.

Chinook
12-04-2021, 08:20 PM

I don't think the Suns would love to give up a first-rounder at all. I also doubt the Spurs have a ton of interest in Ayton with Poeltl's play. That Phoenix might actually think that would be good leverage for the Spurs to exploit in a trade.

KingKev
12-04-2021, 08:42 PM
I don't think the Suns would love to give up a first-rounder at all. I also doubt the Spurs have a ton of interest in Ayton with Poeltl's play. That Phoenix might actually think that would be good leverage for the Spurs to exploit in a trade.

They need that cheap first round labour. If they max Ayton this offseason they will have ~100mm tied up between Paul, Booker and Ayton and no FRP in 2022 and have given up on their 2020 in Smith so FRPs become more valuable to them to fill out that roster.

BackHome
12-04-2021, 09:54 PM
If I am the Suns I am going all in as I think this year is make or break for them - Paul is getting long in the tooth as he goes so does this team. I would do it and then play Smith and either keep him or trade him and do the same with Saric the following year.

That would give us an extra pick in 2024 with Chicago or 2025 and then add Suns number 1 pick in 2024 not to bad as future

Degoat
12-04-2021, 11:08 PM
I wish the spurs could acquire a big wing in a Thad young trade if a first rounder isn’t going to be offered

Seventyniner
12-04-2021, 11:54 PM
I wish the spurs could acquire a big wing in a Thad young trade if a first rounder isn’t going to be offered

I'd want a PF, but I don't think Jalen Smith is the answer.

BackHome
12-05-2021, 12:05 AM
Besides a trade with Suns who else does it look like might bite on a trade for Young?

Degoat
12-05-2021, 12:17 AM
Besides a trade with Suns who else does it look like might bite on a trade for Young?

Just off the top of my head I feel like maybe the Celtics or Knicks, maybe some outside teams trying to make the playoffs like the kings, timberwolves, hornets

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-05-2021, 02:25 AM
Considering that Young is the top trade target of playoff teams, the cost to acquire him is rich in draft assets and less in players.

I hope Bobby Marks is right about this, but I find it highly unlikely. Looking at the rosters and the available picks there are very few contenders that'd need an undersized back up center and the ones who could really use him ( Brooklyn, Golden State, Chicago ) don't have the contracts or picks to make a deal work.

That said, I'm not sure the Spurs would value late first round picks as much as us message board folks do. If they have plans for the cap space they might have next summer I don't think they'd blow it on the chance they'll have a 25th pick or something 3 years from now. Like, I'm pretty sure they see more value in McDermott, for example, compared to a late pick.

On the specific trade, I'd do it right away because I don't know of their cap space plans and because I've always liked Saric and think he could actually be an asset.

exstatic
12-05-2021, 09:56 AM
I'd want a PF, but I don't think Jalen Smith is the answer.

Neither do the Suns, which is why they’re trying to trade for one. What a huge miss for Phoenix. Top 10 pick, and after his rookie year, they don’t pick up his option for year 3.

exstatic
12-05-2021, 10:00 AM
I hope Bobby Marks is right about this, but I find it highly unlikely. Looking at the rosters and the available picks there are very few contenders that'd need an undersized back up center and the ones who could really use him ( Brooklyn, Golden State, Chicago ) don't have the contracts or picks to make a deal work.

That said, I'm not sure the Spurs would value late first round picks as much as us message board folks do. If they have plans for the cap space they might have next summer I don't think they'd blow it on the chance they'll have a 25th pick or something 3 years from now. Like, I'm pretty sure they see more value in McDermott, for example, compared to a late pick.

On the specific trade, I'd do it right away because I don't know of their cap space plans and because I've always liked Saric and think he could actually be an asset.

Saric passes the eye test, but his advanced stats are meh, meaning he won’t really help you.

Degoat
12-05-2021, 10:17 AM
Something has to be really off with Jalen Smith other then his play, you don’t give up on a top 10 pick after one year. He was raw coming out of college to start with.

emanueldavidginobili
12-05-2021, 11:30 AM

I agree, I will be surprised if the Spurs can get a 1st round pick for Thad. I just don't see it happening, I just hope they can get something and not resort to a buyout.

Seventyniner
12-05-2021, 12:00 PM
I agree, I will be surprised if the Spurs can get a 1st round pick for Thad. I just don't see it happening, I just hope they can get something and not resort to a buyout.

If the Spurs really do end up trading for Simmons, Thad could net a first in that his inclusion means sending out one fewer first.

exstatic
12-05-2021, 06:00 PM

Did you think we might get a first for DeRozan in a S&T?

KingKev
12-05-2021, 06:35 PM

Absolutely. Few teams had cash to sign him outright. Knowing the guy you are getting is locked in for 4 years and riding yourself of at least one unwanted contract along the way is definitely worth the cost of a far out FRP.

objective
12-05-2021, 06:47 PM
One potential trade I've been thinking about is Young to the Wolves

Ok the Dane Moore podcast (wolves focused) a few days ago with the frequent guest Wolves beat guy from the athletic, they were talking about wanting to trade for a big, kind of a Millsap type or a bruiser type. Nobody brought up Young, but he might be as close to a Millsap type as their is even though there's no three point shooting. Bruiser is subjective, but he could play with Towns spacing I'm sure and be an offensive hub off the bench considering Beverly is the back up point guard.

Young would be a very good fit I think for a team that is trying to make the playoffs. They probably wouldn't have a good chance to get him in a buyout over other teams so it's trade or nothing.

Minnesota is also only like 900k under the tax so that probably needs to be factored in.

Taurean Prince is expiring, so is Jake Layman, neither is key to their rotation. The podcast was not positive about Prince's performance.

Young+Eubanks for Prince+Layman+draft considerations keeps them out of the tax. Don't know if the Spurs would be comfortable going forward with only Poeltl, Jock and Zollins as their real bigs, but maybe Zollins is looking good in rehab.

For draft considerations, I'm thinking:

Wolves send lotto protected 22 first, and Spurs send back one of their 22 seconds, maybe even the Detroit pick. That functionally makes it between a 15-20 spot swap.
If the Wolves miss the playoffs, the Spurs send nothing and the Wolves send 2 seconds, one of their multiple ones this year and their own second next year.

An alternative they might be less interested in is to forget the picks and make it Young+Tre for Prince+Bolmaro. Don't know if they would be willing to part with Bolmaro, but maybe Gupta wasn't in love with him, and it was more of a Rosas pick

Just food for thought

Degoat
12-05-2021, 07:15 PM

Ok the Dane Moore podcast (wolves focused) a few days ago with the frequent guest Wolves beat guy from the athletic, they were talking about wanting to trade for a big, kind of a Millsap type or a bruiser type. Nobody brought up Young, but he might be as close to a Millsap type as their is even though there's no three point shooting. Bruiser is subjective, but he could play with Towns spacing I'm sure and be an offensive hub off the bench considering Beverly is the back up point guard.

Young would be a very good fit I think for a team that is trying to make the playoffs. They probably wouldn't have a good chance to get him in a buyout over other teams so it's trade or nothing.

Minnesota is also only like 900k under the tax so that probably needs to be factored in.

Taurean Prince is expiring, so is Jake Layman, neither is key to their rotation. The podcast was not positive about Prince's performance.

Young+Eubanks for Prince+Layman+draft considerations keeps them out of the tax. Don't know if the Spurs would be comfortable going forward with only Poeltl, Jock and Zollins as their real bigs, but maybe Zollins is looking good in rehab.

Wolves send lotto protected 22 first, and Spurs send back one of their 22 seconds, maybe even the Detroit pick. That functionally makes it between a 15-20 spot swap.
If the Wolves miss the playoffs, the Spurs send nothing and the Wolves send 2 seconds, one of their multiple ones this year and their own second next year.

An alternative they might be less interested in is to forget the picks and make it Young+Tre for Prince+Bolmaro. Don't know if they would be willing to part with Bolmaro, but maybe Gupta wasn't in love with him, and it was more of a Rosas pick

Just food for thought

Not a bad idea imo I always wanted the spurs to look at Taurean Prince.

exstatic
12-05-2021, 09:58 PM

Just food for thought

They can’t have just one shot at the Minny pick. Chicago gave us 3 chances. I’d go for 2022 1-14,2023 1-10,2024 1-8, two seconds if none of that conveys.

emanueldavidginobili
12-05-2021, 10:40 PM
I think DeMar warrants a first over Thad yeah tbh. Are we really comparing DeMar to Thad?

exstatic
12-05-2021, 11:15 PM
I think DeMar warrants a first over Thad yeah tbh. Are we really comparing DeMar to Thad?

DeMar was unrestricted, and could have just signed somewhere, netting us nothing It’s not like we traded him in season. I was completely shocked that we got a first, let alone two seconds on top, and maybe more if we can flip Thad.

Chinook
12-05-2021, 11:36 PM

Just food for thought

Taurean Prince is one of the worst players in the NBA and has been for several years at this point. I couldn't support SA trading for him under any circumstances. I would not trade the Pistons second for the Minny first either. The Lakers' second? Sure. But the 31st pick is a great pick, and I wouldn't give that up for a pick in late teens or early 20s. I'd rather just waive Young. I'd hang up the phone if Minny even suggested that second trade. At some point, the Spurs are going to have to break up White/Murray. When they do, they'll need a solid backup PG. That has more value than taking yet another wing. I'm pretty confident that the Spurs don't trade Jones for Bolmaro at this point, and going from Thad to Prince makes it an obvious no.

objective
12-06-2021, 12:04 AM
Taurean Prince is one of the worst players in the NBA and has been for several years at this point. I couldn't support SA trading for him under any circumstances. I would not trade the Pistons second for the Minny first either. The Lakers' second? Sure. But the 31st pick is a great pick, and I wouldn't give that up for a pick in late teens or early 20s. I'd rather just waive Young. I'd hang up the phone if Minny even suggested that second trade. At some point, the Spurs are going to have to break up White/Murray. When they do, they'll need a solid backup PG. That has more value than taking yet another wing. I'm pretty confident that the Spurs don't trade Jones for Bolmaro at this point, and going from Thad to Prince makes it an obvious no.

Prince is just an expiring contract who matches salary by himself but not enough to keep them out of the tax in a 1-for-1 deal. He literally doesn't matter, he could just be cut once the deal is done.

It's just an avenue to get something for Young instead of buying him out for free. Not only is Young crying to the media, we've already seen Pop frequently choosing Eubanks over him for minutes, and if Zollins is ready in January then he could compete for minutes also.

If the Wolves make the playoffs they'll probably have the 15th or 16th pick. Detroit could be 31, or they could get to 35, Cunningham is still growing. If the other second the Spurs have is good enough, then that's better. But I don't see the problem with the Detroit pick.

You'd rather cut Young than get 15 instead of 31? Why take Giannis at 15 when you can get Abrines at 32? Or Kawhi at 15 when you can have Bojan at 31?

And regarding Bolmaro vs Tre, I suspect Wolves fans would laugh at the idea that Tre Jones could ever be equal value for Bolmaro. The Wolves covering media also are pretty high on Bolmaro, as a big ball handler and future de facto point guard. I don't hold Tre in such high regard that I see him as the necessary future back up point guard.

Chinook
12-06-2021, 12:29 AM
Prince is just an expiring contract who matches salary by himself but not enough to keep them out of the tax in a 1-for-1 deal. He literally doesn't matter, he could just be cut once the deal is done.

It's just an avenue to get something for Young instead of buying him out for free. Not only is Young crying to the media, we've already seen Pop frequently choosing Eubanks over him for minutes, and if Zollins is ready in January then he could compete for minutes also.

If the Wolves make the playoffs they'll probably have the 15th or 16th pick. Detroit could be 31, or they could get to 35, Cunningham is still growing. If the other second the Spurs have is good enough, then that's better. But I don't see the problem with the Detroit pick.

You'd rather cut Young than get 15 instead of 31? Why take Giannis at 15 when you can get Abrines at 32? Or Kawhi at 15 when you can have Bojan at 31?

And regarding Bolmaro vs Tre, I suspect Wolves fans would laugh at the idea that Tre Jones could ever be equal value for Bolmaro. The Wolves covering media also are pretty high on Bolmaro, as a big ball handler and future de facto point guard. I don't hold Tre in such high regard that I see him as the necessary future back up point guard.

Prince is radioactive. Part of my fandom would permanently die if I had to remember he was once on the team's roster.

As I've mentioned before, I think Young's recent minutes have come as a result of Pop playing Eubanks over him and that Pop will stop doing that. Yes, if Collins is ready to go, he'll get some minutes. But if the Spurs are fighting for the playoffs, Young will probably be a part of that. There will be rest games for Pop to try the young guys. But if the Spurs are in a playoff chase, they'll likely have a set rotation by that time as they tend to.

The Spurs are likely to have their own pick in the top-20, possibly before the Minny pick. If the Spurs miss out on a star, I imagine it'll be because they failed to take them with their natural pick, not because they didn't take him with their second pick.

I don't really care if Minny prefers Bolmaro or Jones. That doesn't change that PG depth is way more of a long-term need than another wing. It's not just the guys already on the roster. The team might well be in position where BPA is yet another wing ... for all three of their picks. It's one of the most saturated positions in the game. Bolmaro being a truly great prospect might make it worth it. But if he's just good or meh, then it's not a good use of the team's resources. It's by far the worst of the two offers from my perspective.

Chinook
12-06-2021, 12:32 AM
I keep forgetting to put this in posts, but Young didn't leave Minny on good terms. Rather, his wife didn't do so. It's possible that she's similar to Kidd's and Korver's wives in that she's pretty vocal about location and might not want to live in a city like Minneapolis (or San Antonio, which could be part of this situation in the first place), but I don't think it's a place that Young would want to go back to, and I hope the Wolves have enough pride not to make him.

objective
12-06-2021, 12:53 AM
Prince is radioactive. Part of my fandom would permanently die if I had to remember he was once on the team's roster.

As I've mentioned before, I think Young's recent minutes have come as a result of Pop playing Eubanks over him and that Pop will stop doing that. Yes, if Collins is ready to go, he'll get some minutes. But if the Spurs are fighting for the playoffs, Young will probably be a part of that. There will be rest games for Pop to try the young guys. But if the Spurs are in a playoff chase, they'll likely have a set rotation by that time as they tend to.

The Spurs are likely to have their own pick in the top-20, possibly before the Minny pick. If the Spurs miss out on a star, I imagine it'll be because they failed to take them with their natural pick, not because they didn't take him with their second pick.

I don't really care if Minny prefers Bolmaro or Jones. That doesn't change that PG depth is way more of a long-term need than another wing. It's not just the guys already on the roster. The team might well be in position where BPA is yet another wing ... for all three of their picks. It's one of the most saturated positions in the game. Bolmaro being a truly great prospect might make it worth it. But if he's just good or meh, then it's not a good use of the team's resources. It's by far the worst of the two offers from my perspective.

I keep forgetting to put this in posts, but Young didn't leave Minny on good terms. Rather, his wife didn't do so. It's possible that she's similar to Kidd's and Korver's wives in that she's pretty vocal about location and might not want to live in a city like Minneapolis (or San Antonio, which could be part of this situation in the first place), but I don't think it's a place that Young would want to go back to, and I hope the Wolves have enough pride not to make him.

I don't know anything about Young or his wife and any time they spent at Minnesota years ago, didn't even know he was married and didn't even remember him doing a half a season in lottery hell for that one year. He has played in the Midwest for a lot of years without seeming to have a problem with that part of the country.

Regarding Prince, that's your hangup, man. I couldn't imagine Prince making me less excited for Spurs basketball than Forbes. He won't have pop's love and affection for one.

I don't think Young lasts even if the Spurs are making a playoff chase. By not keeping quiet, even if all he wanted was playing time, that already marks him as a bad soldier. And Zollins could torpedo Young's minutes if he can stretch the floor like people imagine. Young hasn't hit a three all year.

Back to Bolmaro: lots of Wolves fans think he's a point guard in the future. That's what I'm getting at. They think he's a big point guard who also can defend point guards.

Chinook
12-06-2021, 07:49 AM
I don't know anything about Young or his wife and any time they spent at Minnesota years ago, didn't even know he was married and didn't even remember him doing a half a season in lottery hell for that one year. He has played in the Midwest for a lot of years without seeming to have a problem with that part of the country.

Regarding Prince, that's your hangup, man. I couldn't imagine Prince making me less excited for Spurs basketball than Forbes. He won't have pop's love and affection for one.

I don't think Young lasts even if the Spurs are making a playoff chase. By not keeping quiet, even if all he wanted was playing time, that already marks him as a bad soldier. And Zollins could torpedo Young's minutes if he can stretch the floor like people imagine. Young hasn't hit a three all year.

Back to Bolmaro: lots of Wolves fans think he's a point guard in the future. That's what I'm getting at. They think he's a big point guard who also can defend point guards.

The midwest is different than Minnesota. Chicago, Indy, Cinci and Louisville are all pretty close to each other. Minnesota is another state away and is almost an island of civilization. She specifically didn't like that city, as far as I've heard, whether she was okay with Chicago or not.

Prince is sooooo much worse than Forbes -- on both ends. Dude has a VORP of 0 for his career. I can't even fathom that. And that's with Bud basically giving Taurean one okay year. He's just the worst.

Poeltl hasn't hit a three all year either. If Murray and Johnson are going to hit threes, they don't lack shooting. I don't think the Spurs are going to take as much offense to what Young said as you do. Pop's response to the comments was to increase Thad's minutes, not bench him or court martial him.

I still don't care what Wolves fans think of Bolmaro. They've seen plenty of busts go through their roster and they had hope for all of them. Bolmaro hasn't even been okay so far this year. That's not damning of him as a player, but it doesn't make me think he's a target the Spurs should be looking at given their roster. From your post, it seems like you'd be okay with the Spurs passing up on moving the Detroit second for the 15th- or 16th-overall pick to trade Jones for Bolmaro. That's bonkers. Jones has already shown to be a guy who can hold down a roster spot. Bolmaro hasn't.

KingKev
12-06-2021, 07:50 AM
DeMar was unrestricted, and could have just signed somewhere, netting us nothing It’s not like we traded him in season. I was completely shocked that we got a first, let alone two seconds on top, and maybe more if we can flip Thad.

He was unrestricted with few suitors with the cap to sign him. Chicago wouldn’t have been able to sign him without making it worth our while. They gave u a first for a guaranteed 3yrs of DDR vs a potential rental if they had traded for him at the 2021 deadline. Those picks were also compensation for us eating Aminu’s contract.

R. DeMurre
12-06-2021, 10:58 AM
Prince is sooooo much worse than Forbes -- on both ends. Dude has a VORP of 0 for his career. I can't even fathom that. And that's with Bud basically giving Taurean one okay year. He's just the worst.

I don't really care about either player, but just want to point out that Forbes has a career VORP of -0.3, so if you can't fathom Prince at 0, you shouldn't be able to fathom Forbes in the negative either. Prince is no defensive stud by any measure, but worse than Forbes? No way. By some metrics, Forbes was the worst defender in the league last season, but this season Doug McDermott has stepped in front of him to show him what's what.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/f/forbebr01.html

objective
12-06-2021, 07:10 PM
From your post, it seems like you'd be okay with the Spurs passing up on moving the Detroit second for the 15th- or 16th-overall pick to trade Jones for Bolmaro. That's bonkers. Jones has already shown to be a guy who can hold down a roster spot. Bolmaro hasn't.

I listed the Bolmaro part as an alternative to get something rather than nothing. And it's not just Minnesota fans who like him, I like him a lot more than Tre Jones. Not as much as Vassell, who I'm happy the Spurs picked instead of Bolmaro, but to me it's not a hard call between him and Jones.

Bolmaro is a rookie who is 9 months younger, no surprise he might not be as established as a second year player. He's actually played more minutes the last 4 games than Jones so he might not be a total bust yet

wanting something over nothing in this specific instance is not bonkers. Bonkers is turning down the chance for a Giannis or Kawhi for the chance at a Bojan or Abrines. Semi-Bonkers is thinking that there's no point to having two 1sts because the second 1st won't be less of a mistake than the first, especially seeing as it's been like 2 drafts since their first 1st was Samanic and the second 1st was Johnson.

BackHome
12-06-2021, 10:20 PM
I didn't even know Prince was still in the league as far as trades still like the Suns better

CGD
12-06-2021, 10:52 PM
Spurs missed the chance to move him. He’s headed toward buy out. Should have taken Suns offer