BatManu20
10-18-2021, 12:00 PM
There’s #2.

Mr. Body
10-18-2021, 12:01 PM
Makes sense. Vaya con Dios, hombre.

baseline bum
10-18-2021, 12:02 PM
That should officially kill the Simmons to the Spurs talk.

TDomination
10-18-2021, 12:05 PM
he will be missed!
great memories together with the spurs

hope we make a tribute video for him when he comes back into town with another team

John B
10-18-2021, 12:06 PM
It’s expected but this feels like bad handling by the management. The team seemed to have acquired all these assets for what seemed to be parts of a trade that’s not materializing, and instead waiving and cutting players and eat up their salaries. Just bad foresights imo.

Robz4000
10-18-2021, 12:14 PM
It’s expected but this feels like bad handling by the management. The team seemed to have acquired all these assets for what seemed to be parts of a trade that’s not materializing, and instead waiving and cutting players and eat up their salaries. Just bad foresights imo.

Par for the course with Brian Wrong.

Fusternino
10-18-2021, 12:16 PM
The Forbes signing continues to make no sense.

Mr. Body
10-18-2021, 12:18 PM

What exactly were they supposed to have forseen? Aminu was salary as part of a trade that netted the Spurs unexpected assets. What exactly do you want here?

spurraider21
10-18-2021, 12:19 PM
That should officially kill the Simmons to the Spurs talk.
yep, rip

baseline bum
10-18-2021, 12:23 PM

I'm guessing they took Aminu on the chance of a Simmons trade, thinking Philly would blink before that October 1st payday.

Atl Spur
10-18-2021, 12:24 PM
Par for the course with Brian Wrong.

You can’t help yourself......

timvp
10-18-2021, 12:26 PM
Congrats to KBD. Beat out three higher paid players to make the team. Pretty impressive, tbh.

EasyMoney
10-18-2021, 12:27 PM
What exactly were they supposed to have forseen? Aminu was salary as part of a trade that netted the Spurs unexpected assets. What exactly do you want here?

Somehow. Idiots on here must have thought al farouq aminu could net them ben Simmons.

slick'81
10-18-2021, 12:27 PM
Called it! Dude is garbage

slick'81
10-18-2021, 12:28 PM
Somehow. Idiots on here must have thought al farouq aminu could net them ben Simmons.

😂🤣 luka and Amineww in trade scenarios

slick'81
10-18-2021, 12:31 PM

There was no trade that didn't materialize. Nobody wanted this bum or most of what we got outside white or murray

Mr. Body
10-18-2021, 12:36 PM

It's completely inexplicable. Aminu had nothing to do with Simmons.

Leetonidas
10-18-2021, 12:39 PM
I've speculated plenty of the Simmons rumors but lol at anyone thinking Aminu was a piece that Morey wanted in return:lol

timvp
10-18-2021, 12:44 PM
Aminu was in the DeRozan trade because he had to be in order to match salaries. The Spurs didn't want him specifically. Him getting waived now is the expected outcome -- and was the plan all along unless his salary was needed in another trade.

As far as a Simmons trade is concerned, yeah Aminu could have been in such a trade if he was needed to match salaries. I don't think anyone thought the Sixers actually wanted Aminu for his basketball playing ability.

Maddog
10-18-2021, 12:45 PM
Congrats to KBD. Beat out three higher paid players to make the team. Pretty impressive, tbh.

I didn't even think of that way, but you are absolutely correct.

Chinook
10-18-2021, 12:46 PM
In an ideal world, AFA probably makes the team. He looks like he could be emergency depth, and his contract had utility. But they signed Collins, and that basically prevents anything constructive from happening with the front court. People absolutely, positively shouldn't be bitching about waiving him though. His salary was almost always going to be dead money anyway. The most likely use for his contract would've been as ballast to take back a worse deal for incentive. That worse deal (DAJ before the Nets traded him or Saric) could've encumbered future years, and would've likely been dead money this season anyway. There were other options to get that last spot down, but this was the least painful, and the dead money is fine, especially since the Spurs can't stretch it.

slick'81
10-18-2021, 12:47 PM

Luka had no❤️ And aminu no game ,so really no at all impressive. Spurs def going with the cheaper option ...who was the 3rd again?

timvp
10-18-2021, 12:49 PM
Luka had no❤️ And aminu no game ,so really no at all impressive...who was the 3rd again?

Hutchinson.

slick'81
10-18-2021, 12:50 PM
Hutchinson.

Yea no bueno. I have nothing against kbd . Hes fine for what he is

exstatic
10-18-2021, 12:55 PM

The trade with Chicago required that the Bull send out equal salary. We got two ending contracts, one with a bit of value, and one not, plus a first round pick. That’s about as good as you could expect for a S&T for DeRozan. Any expectations of a further trade of Aminu is your own projection of the situation. As for Hutchison, we got an extra second round pick for eating that $4M deal. Since the 1st second round in draft pick dump last summer was for about that amount, Spurs got market value for renting that space.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-18-2021, 01:09 PM
The trade with Chicago required that the Bull send out equal salary. We got two ending contracts, one with a bit of value, and one not, plus a first round pick. That’s about as good as you could expect for a S&T for DeRozan. Any expectations of a further trade of Aminu is your own projection of the situation. As for Hutchison, we got an extra second round pick for eating that $4M deal. Since the 1st second round in draft pick dump last summer was for about that amount, Spurs got market value for renting that space.

Yep, people like to bitch about Brian Wright but he got the DDR and Hutchinson trades spot on. A first and 3 second rounders, one of which is DET's and would likely be in the low 30s - awesome value for an already expired contract and 4$ mil of cap space. If they could get something for Thad Young as well it'd be the icing.

timvp
10-18-2021, 01:10 PM

Yeah, none of this is a surprise. The Spurs ate Hutchinson's contract to get the Pistons' second round pick -- which will hopefully be near the top of the second round. Aminu was salary flotsam from the beginning. Even Samanic getting waived was a planned outcome after signing KBD to his guaranteed deal.

Mr. Body
10-18-2021, 01:26 PM
Yep, people like to bitch about Brian Wright but he got the DDR and Hutchinson trades spot on. A first and 3 second rounders, one of which is DET's and would likely be in the low 30s - awesome value for an already expired contract and 4$ mil of cap space. If they could get something for Thad Young as well it'd be the icing.

I didn't expect anything for watching DDR go. That trade was actually superb.

The Truth #6
10-18-2021, 01:30 PM
Glad he was cut. Not a bad dude but not needed. What to do with Thad is the bigger issue as far as ramifications of the DDR trade. Aminu? This was the smart move.

Fusternino
10-18-2021, 01:36 PM
This team is still entirely lacking at the 4 and in playing anyone at the 3 who isn't a big 2 outside of KJ.

Chinook
10-18-2021, 01:48 PM
:lol da fuck? The team is lousy with PFs now.

baseline bum
10-18-2021, 02:17 PM
😂🤣 luka and Amineww in trade scenarios

Would have been salary fodder to throw in for matching purposes.

baseline bum
10-18-2021, 02:20 PM
Glad he was cut. Not a bad dude but not needed. What to do with Thad is the bigger issue as far as ramifications of the DDR trade. Aminu? This was the smart move.

Hope they can get something decent for Young, but they need to do it quick because his trade value isn't going to get any better getting spot minutes on a losing team.

The Truth #6
10-18-2021, 02:30 PM
Hope they can get something decent for Young, but they need to do it quick because his trade value isn't going to get any better getting spot minutes on a losing team.

Agreed. They should have shelved him like he was Al Horford.

John B
10-18-2021, 02:33 PM
Would have been salary fodder to throw in for matching purposes.

Is all I’m saying. I suspect it’s not the last…

Sugus
10-18-2021, 02:38 PM

I'm in the same camp, tbh. Was pretty hilarious after years of seeing posters fall over themselves calling DDR trash, GTFO, let him walk, addition by substraction, etc, be the same posters complaining and nitpicking the assets that the FO got when they traded him. Getting him off the team was absolutely good enough, now you wanna complain on the positive assets that they managed to bring back? Lol...

jjspur
10-18-2021, 02:57 PM
A lot of people thought DeRozen would walk away for literally nothing. At least we still have Young and a few draft picks out of the deal. Hopefully Young won't be waived but rather traded for something of value down the road...more picks or even a player who is more on the younger spurs timeline.

Mugen
10-18-2021, 03:06 PM

I'm assuming they'll go the Demarre/LMA route where they agree to a buyout that in no way helps the Spurs :lol

Mr. Body
10-18-2021, 03:58 PM
:lol da fuck? The team is lousy with PFs now.

???????

Only Thaddeus Young and Keldon Johnson, and KJ is problematic at the position. McDermott and KBD are not PFs.

Chinook
10-18-2021, 04:43 PM
???????

Only Thaddeus Young and Keldon Johnson, and KJ is problematic at the position. McDermott and KBD are not PFs.

Yeah, not going to get into this. This isn't 2010.

John B
10-18-2021, 05:01 PM
I'm assuming they'll go the Demarre/LMA route where they agree to a buyout that in no way helps the Spurs :lol

B-bbut that trade was superb :lol:lol

Chinook
10-18-2021, 05:03 PM
B-bbut that trade was superb :lol:lol

Wait, that trade WAS superb. What were you expecting that makes you think getting something for Young is the make-or-break point for the deal?

KobesAchilles
10-18-2021, 05:31 PM
Can’t wait for his jersey retirement game. I’m getting tickets no matter the cost

The Truth #6
10-18-2021, 05:45 PM
For Luka supporters, Aminu not being traded isn’t great as, you know, Luka got cut in the numbers game. Luka probably was never going to work out here anyway, as they signed KBD when they still had Aminu, but if Luka shows promise later, then people may look at this trade, especially if/when Thad is bungled, and have doubts.

FutureMan
10-18-2021, 05:46 PM
Figured. But now we get to see if they stretch his contract (basically saying they won’t try to sign anyone big next year) or pay the whole thing this year.

John B
10-18-2021, 06:11 PM
Wait, that trade WAS superb. What were you expecting that makes you think getting something for Young is the make-or-break point for the deal?

Bruh I don’t claim to see the big picture nor have any lead on a potential trade. I’m just sick of reading, “yah the Spurs did him solid” and have another team pick him up before the start of the season. Demar didn’t have to agree on a S&T but he did and that was great. What Spurs could’ve done with those pieces was short of my expectations for a savvy organization, which has underwhelmed me to say the least (except for the Primo draft which remains to be seen).

MannyIsGod
10-18-2021, 06:14 PM

This makes no sense to me. The Spurs didn't get Aminou in hopes of trading him. He was a bad contract they ate in the trade in exchange for draft picks. They held onto that contract because there was no point to waive him before today in case they might be able to trade him and not have to eat his salary but the most likely outcome of him being traded to the Spurs was always what happened today.

MannyIsGod
10-18-2021, 06:18 PM
Bruh I don’t claim to see the big picture nor have any lead on a potential trade. I’m just sick of reading, “yah the Spurs did him solid” and have another team pick him up before the start of the season. Demar didn’t have to agree on a S&T but he did and that was great. What Spurs could’ve done with those pieces was short of my expectations for a savvy organization, which has underwhelmed me to say the least (except for the Primo draft which remains to be seen).

None of what the Spurs did today was doing anyone a solid. What they did today was waive a player they had no intention of ever playing so they could keep other players they might play or at least feel are better. Keeping Amino would have been the "cheaper" move but they obviously didn't GAF about that as they feel KBP is worth keeping around. Your takes here are just wrong. Amino wasn't an asset. He was dead money.

John B
10-18-2021, 06:33 PM
None of what the Spurs did today was doing anyone a solid. What they did today was waive a player they had no intention of ever playing so they could keep other players they might play or at least feel are better. Keeping Amino would have been the "cheaper" move but they obviously didn't GAF about that as they feel KBP is worth keeping around. Your takes here are just wrong. Amino wasn't an asset. He was dead money.

Surely if the Wiz was able to dump a TikToker to us, our savvy management could’ve done something. But then again, this is the new normal expectation.

Mr. Body
10-18-2021, 07:08 PM
Yeah, not going to get into this. This isn't 2010.

You have no idea what PFs are even in this era.

Chinook
10-18-2021, 07:38 PM
You have no idea what PFs are even in this era.

... What a weird comeback.

KingKev
10-18-2021, 07:38 PM
Had to use that cap space somehow. 25mm to acquire a potential 2025 first round pick. That is how badly players view San Antonio; both the city and the organization.

exstatic
10-18-2021, 07:57 PM
Surely if the Wiz was able to dump a TikToker to us, our savvy management could’ve done something. But then again, this is the new normal expectation.

That TikToker netted us Detroits second round pick, probably between 30-35. A pick like that sold for $4M this past draft, is more valuable and flexible than a late 1st rounder. We rent like 3% of our capspace out for what will likely be a choice second rounder, and dumbasses like you think we got fleeced.

Chinook
10-18-2021, 08:37 PM
So late-firsts are more valuable than seconds. Back in the day, a lot of international players would be locked into long-term deals and need buyouts, and having the freedom to pay over the rookie scale to pay part of the buyout was important. However, Euro players with NBA prospects understand the game now and are signing contracts that let them come over right away as first-rounders. Even before the change, late-firsts were on the whole more valuable. Now, it's not close. I'd much rather have 29 than like 35.

talkspurs
10-18-2021, 08:38 PM
Figured. But now we get to see if they stretch his contract (basically saying they won’t try to sign anyone big next year) or pay the whole thing this year.

There is no advantage to stretching his contract. it would impact our cap space next year and would not give us any relief this year as we are not close to the tax.

BackHome
10-18-2021, 09:44 PM
So we paying him his whole salary of what 10 million? Damn he got a good deal get signed and then waived and still pick up a 10 million paycheck from the Spurs

Chinook
10-18-2021, 09:57 PM

Can't stretch. You have to be released before 09/01 to qualify for that.

Dex
10-18-2021, 10:46 PM
We all knew this was coming as soon as he was signed. Not sure what all the hub-bub is about.

Aminu is oft injured and frankly looks washed out. Even in the few minutes we saw in preseason...he just does not look like an NBA player anymore, and his trade value was only worth matching salaries but that ship already sailed.

I'm fine with taking a flyer on KBD and letting a new guy have a chance to carve out an NBA career instead of clinging to the hopes that Aminu was...somehow...going to be the missing piece for this team. (Hint: it wasn't going to happen)

FutureMan
10-18-2021, 10:57 PM
Can't stretch. You have to be released before 09/01 to qualify for that.

Good to know. Should be interesting to see what the Spurs decide to do with that cap space next year.

Ditty
10-18-2021, 11:35 PM
Good to know. Should be interesting to see what the Spurs decide to do with that cap space next year.

Extend Forbes :pop: