PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs @ Nuggets - Oct. 22, 2021

timvp
10-23-2021, 01:19 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-denver-nuggets-game-2/

Some good stuff, some bad stuff.

P.S.

The official box score is wrong regarding how many minutes McDermott and Forbes played. Their plus/minus numbers are also wrong. The stats I put are correct. Hopefully it gets fixed :madrun

siraulo23
10-23-2021, 01:29 AM
there goes 82-0

gospursgojas
10-23-2021, 01:37 AM
Funny how most of Pop’s grade hinders on his decision making when it comes to Forbes.

slick'81
10-23-2021, 01:41 AM
Funny how most of Pop’s grade hinders on his decision making when it comes to Forbes.

Seems to be obvious to everyone but pop hes a total liability. Primo wasting minutes so bryn can feed his kids

Robz4000
10-23-2021, 01:53 AM
Two games in a row I agree with the grades tbh :tu

LakerHater
10-23-2021, 03:06 AM
Forbes with a generous D!

... He shoulda got an F!

Fireball
10-23-2021, 04:18 AM
yeah Forbes should get an F ... I mean everything he did was slapstick comedy

james evans
10-23-2021, 04:24 AM
If yall thought Poodle struggled with Joker, wait until he sees the Greek freak lol

EasyMoney
10-23-2021, 04:56 AM
The team needs a true back up big. A backup big needs to do at least 1 of 3 things. Protect the paint like Dwight Howard or javale mcgee, space the floor like Dario saric and Kelly olynyk, or be crazy athletic and be an energy big like montrezl Harrell. Drew Eubanks isn't any of those things.

Maddog
10-23-2021, 06:00 AM
The team needs a true back up big. A backup big needs to do at least 1 of 3 things. Protect the paint like Dwight Howard or javale mcgee, space the floor like Dario saric and Kelly olynyk, or be crazy athletic and be an energy big like montrezl Harrell. Drew Eubanks isn't any of those things.

Well they need a lot things.

Biggems
10-23-2021, 06:15 AM
We aren't going to win every game. However, I want to see fight, teamwork, effort.....they showed that last night in a city we have historically struggled to steal the W. Right now Jokic is on a zen level of basketball. It is beautiful to watch, unless he is doing it to your team. He did it to our team.

BTW, stop being so nice to Forbes, he got another F.

RC_Drunkford
10-23-2021, 06:16 AM
Pop needs to play Jock instead if Eubanks. Jock can shoot the 3 and is a way better passer than Drew. The team really struggled to create open 3 point shots. I’d like to see some plays run for McDermott to get him going early.
Keldon has really worked on his in between game and looked great.

Murray needs to shoot the 3 better and is still playing out if control. If White and Murray can’t average 20 with that increase in usage that’s an issue. White was great defensively, Murray gambled too much.

Forbes seems to be useless in this drive and kick offense, I‘d rather see Primo out there.

Thad Young just looked not interested in playing here, he was terrible. On his first action he immediately sagged off of Jokic and gave up a wide open 3. That’s beyond stupid.

Pop should’ve kept some time outs for the end of the game. I have no clue why he didn’t.

All in all this was a good game, considering the Spurs were really sloppy with the basketball, but Denver pretty much controlled the game

duncan2150
10-23-2021, 06:47 AM
I'm all for playing Jock over Eubanks, Dqrew is a good 3rd big but not an nba back up. I hope Pop will play Jock more and more.

For Young, if he's not a part of the rotation, we need to trade him in the next few weeks.

Elementis
10-23-2021, 06:53 AM
How the heck did Yak end up with that +/- while being abused by Jokic?
also: just looking at the statline, seems the 3pt quota is where we drop the decisive points as well. greta that the guys have the ocnfidence to keep them flying and keep defenses honest, but getting points off them directly wouldn't harm either..

KingKev
10-23-2021, 07:12 AM
Perfect out come. Played hard and cone up just short! Tank on!!!

John B
10-23-2021, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the grades Timvp. I caught some glimpses of the game. Looking at the stats, a few of those 3pts from McBuckets and we’re in the ball game, so I wasn’t that disappointed. The turnovers is a lot though, and that they have to fix. Also I wasn’t surprised by Jokic performance. That was predictable. He is at least the reigning MVP. But Poeltl needs to learn from these BIGS matches. He needs to learn to stay in there and not getting in foul trouble. Still we looked overmatched in the C position, and Thad was a bit short on that end. But he could’ve been more aggressive and maybe get Jokic out of his game some. I agree, Londale could’ve gotten some burn with his scrappiness, anything to throw Jokic out of rhythm. I was going to say Samanic could’ve helped with pulling Jokic out in the perimeters with his outside shots, and another big body to contest. That would be an ideal game for Collins’ outside game.

I like KJ always taking the challenge and trying to rally the team. He is fearless and relentless. Let’s see what he does tonight. He got a big game against Giannis the last time. I hope that continues.

Tough lost, but again it’s somewhat understandable. Keep pounding the rock!

Fireball
10-23-2021, 08:31 AM
How the heck did Yak end up with that +/- while being abused by Jokic?
anybody will get abused by Jokic ... Jacob was on the floor the first half of the 4th Q where the Spurs made a run before Jokic entered the game again

BacktoBasics
10-23-2021, 09:53 AM
For a team that has lottery expectations and no clear go-to star player I think we should all be pleased with how the team has played these first two games.

There is clear growth from all these role players. We’re easily one “good” player away from being a legitimate playoff team.

Dex
10-23-2021, 10:07 AM
If yall thought Poodle struggled with Joker, wait until he sees the Greek freak lol

I would say Jokic is more of a brute in the post, and Jak really struggles against that. He was simply being bullied last night, and then had to back off of his aggressiveness once he got into foul trouble.

A lot of Giannis' attack is rim running, and I think Poeltl can be more effective against that.

Or maybe I am just being way too optimistic.

benefactor
10-23-2021, 10:43 AM
For a team that has lottery expectations and no clear go-to star player I think we should all be pleased with how the team has played these first two games.

There is clear growth from all these role players. We’re easily one “good” player away from being a legitimate playoff team.
That's how I describe the team to people...a hodge podge of second and third bananas. This team will flirt with an 8 seed but add a star and they are mid/high seed conversation.

John B
10-23-2021, 11:16 AM
I would say Jokic is more of a brute in the post, and Jak really struggles against that. He was simply being bullied last night, and then had to back off of his aggressiveness once he got into foul trouble.

A lot of Giannis' attack is rim running, and I think Poeltl can be more effective against that.

Or maybe I am just being way too optimistic.

That was my criticism of Poeltl last year, and I don’t mean to keep drilling on him. I want him to be stronger in the post. He needs to especially get stronger in his lower body, not necessarily get moved, stand his ground. That’s how he gets problem with dominant big in the post. He is an excellent help defense swatting shots, and even active feet to cover perimeter. I don’t want to be overcritical of Poeltl, but he controls the paint, Spurs is a very good defensive team. Already our 3 spots are elite defensively, except in the PF position. Maybe if Londale could play the 4th, but could mean KJ coming off the bench, because McD is necessary as spacer. Anyway, I’m very happy with Jak’s offensive growth. He is getting confident out there, true to what he said he would do in the pre-season.

emanueldavidginobili
10-23-2021, 11:28 AM
Good effort. I'd like to see Jock out there over Drew, he can stretch the floor at least.

More Devin less Doug, and just give all of Forbes minutes to Tre or Primo. Primo is arguably a top 3 point shooter on this team, possibly the best who knows doesn't seem like he gets rattled in his shooting confidence. Unleash him even if its for 3 min a game, just get him in there. Granted it's only been 2 games but Primo sits at 30th for MPG for rookies.

itzsoweezee
10-23-2021, 11:35 AM
This team is going to struggle winning games with its poor three point shooting. DJM’s not a real point guard and he’s not a shooter. It’s going to continue to be a problem.

I continue to not see the point of Forbes. If he’s not below primo and tre on the depth chart by the all star mark, I’m going to be very disappointed. A great start to the season, nevertheless. I hope Bryn keeps up his poor play and forces pop’s hand

MultiTroll
10-23-2021, 11:51 AM
Forbes played.
What is it going to take for you to give Forbes an F?

Bryn ForbesForbes had a second straight really bad outing. He was laughably terrible on defense and he didn’t help at all on the offense. Forbes spent most of his minutes getting cooked on both ends by Facu Campazzo, a 5-foot-5 Argentine.

MultiTroll
10-23-2021, 11:57 AM
^ Whereas Eubanks, according to you "had a couple jump hooks, a few good passes and a pair of contested boards"

but only climbs 1/2 of one grade above Zero Bryn.

KobesAchilles
10-23-2021, 11:57 AM
What is it going to take for you to give Forbes an F?

Bryn Forbes

Forbes had a second straight really bad outing. He was laughably terrible on defense and he didn’t help at all on the offense. Forbes spent most of his minutes getting cooked on both ends by Facu Campazzo, a 5-foot-5 Argentine.
he’s the only one with deep playoff experience. Hard to quantify how much that impacts our team. That alone means he will never get an F. Bc even if he has a bad game he is there to pick not only himself up but his teammates too. I bet he was the first person consoling DJ after his shitty play

MultiTroll
10-23-2021, 12:00 PM
"I liked that he once again pulled the plug on Forbes."

So you also liked that he put Forbes in to begin with while stiffing Primo, Jones and any other person at the Community College level or above whether in the NBA or not.

Lets get those sinuses cleared up.

Gagnrath
10-23-2021, 12:05 PM

Honestly he's better against Giannis, Jokiac is just bigger and stronger than Poetl and has enough athletic ability to bully poetel a little, Giannis isn't as prone to push him around and lean on him wearing him out. Poetl is long enough to bother the Greek freak a bit and fast enough to keep up.

james evans
10-23-2021, 12:20 PM
Honestly he's better against Giannis, Jokiac is just bigger and stronger than Poetl and has enough athletic ability to bully poetel a little, Giannis isn't as prone to push him around and lean on him wearing him out. Poetl is long enough to bother the Greek freak a bit and fast enough to keep up.
hold up hold up. Who's better than giannis??? Poodle or Jokic??? lol.. Giannis isn't strong???? Poodle couldn't stop Jokic off the dribble and he's big and slow as fuck. And you want us to believe the Greek freak is slower?????

poopbox
10-23-2021, 12:23 PM
Eubanks is a 3rd string center and plays like it. It was mentioned he didn't do much on offense or defense. Most 3rd string centers don't. He is going to be in over his head anytime we aren't playing a bottom feeding team.

Every time Pop plays Forbes and McDermott together his grade should never be higher than a B and that is being generous.

People talk about Dejounte "running the offense". Would have thought by now people understood that's not what his job is. What does that even mean anyway?

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-23-2021, 12:38 PM
Thad is just not a great fit. He may have looked disinterested in the game, but I watched him warm up, and he spent more time on the court than just about anyone else, practicing shots and working with the coaches. I think the Spurs just need to find a way to trade him as soon as they can. He’s not going to help us and he’s killing his value every time he hits the court.

dbestpro
10-23-2021, 12:38 PM
This team more often than not will come up short with Murray playing hero ball.

Mr. Body
10-23-2021, 12:49 PM
Two big shots late in the 4th might have tipped it when the Spurs were on the brink of the lead: a McDermott three from the corner and a Vassell three from the top of the key. Neither went down. Nuggets went on a run and the SAS didn't get it back.

It's evident this team will compete. White is terrific on defense. This team needs consistent bench production. The different looks, like the zone, are fascinating. Pop is trying things out. This is the sort of game that will teach the players how to grind and get things working down the stretch. This Denver team has been deep in the playoffs several times.

Gagnrath
10-23-2021, 12:54 PM
hold up hold up. Who's better than giannis??? Poodle or Jokic??? lol.. Giannis isn't strong???? Poodle couldn't stop Jokic off the dribble and he's big and slow as fuck. And you want us to believe the Greek freak is slower?????

No Jakob does better against Giannis than Jokiac, he is not as inclined to bully Poetel and more inclined to use speed Which is better for Poetl. The word was against, not than. Jokic for the second half wasn't using a face up game against Jakob, he was backing him down.

itzsoweezee
10-23-2021, 01:07 PM
he’s the only one with deep playoff experience. Hard to quantify how much that impacts our team. That alone means he will never get an F. Bc even if he has a bad game he is there to pick not only himself up but his teammates too. I bet he was the first person consoling DJ after his shitty play

The hell is this fan fiction shit?

XDT76
10-23-2021, 01:14 PM
Pop needs to play Jock instead if Eubanks. Jock can shoot the 3 and is a way better passer than Drew. The team really struggled to create open 3 point shots. I’d like to see some plays run for McDermott to get him going early.
Keldon has really worked on his in between game and looked great.

Murray needs to shoot the 3 better and is still playing out if control. If White and Murray can’t average 20 with that increase in usage that’s an issue. White was great defensively, Murray gambled too much.

Forbes seems to be useless in this drive and kick offense, I‘d rather see Primo out there.

Thad Young just looked not interested in playing here, he was terrible. On his first action he immediately sagged off of Jokic and gave up a wide open 3. That’s beyond stupid.

Pop should’ve kept some time outs for the end of the game. I have no clue why he didn’t.

All in all this was a good game, considering the Spurs were really sloppy with the basketball, but Denver pretty much controlled the game

I also hope to see a bit more of Landale. Tonight shows that we are really lacking in length. When Nuggets players attack the rim they go for jams. When our guys attack the rims they go for outstretch/rushed layup. Our line up mainly consist of 6-5 players theirs 6-8. Also despite more mins DW actually shoots less (or ard the same) and assist more as compared to last year. He basically alceded usage to other players.

Mr. Body
10-23-2021, 01:22 PM
Landale is going to be excellent for this team, I feel. Just need to get him into the rotation once he's ready.

GAustex
10-23-2021, 01:27 PM
If the bench was more productive Spurs win.
Lonnie needs to score.

timvp
10-23-2021, 01:27 PM
Forbes with a generous D!

... He shoulda got an F!

Eh, grades are based off of expectations. I expect Forbes to be pretty damn bad, tbh.

Plus, an F for 8 minutes played would be harsh. Fs are better save for a player who massively underperforms in a somewhat important role, IMO.

rankingtear
10-23-2021, 01:31 PM
We have no closer, we would lose a lot of this kind of games. Looks like we would be competitive but still lose , a lot like the Pistons last year well coached team but no offensive talent to close games.

pgardn
10-23-2021, 01:39 PM
Eh, grades are based off of expectations. I expect Forbes to be pretty damn bad, tbh.

Plus, an F for 8 minutes played would be harsh. Fs are better save for a player who massively underperforms in a somewhat important role, IMO.

Forbes can do much worse than D.
So its best to leave the F- for a really awful performance that is around the corner.
I acknowledge the author's grades as carefully considered in the case of Forbes and fair.

KobesAchilles
10-23-2021, 02:20 PM
Everyone here shitting on Forbes needs to bring that same energy to Lonnie bc he’s the reason why we signed Forbes. Lonnies shitty “I play hard every 3 games” shtick is getting really old.

Dverde
10-23-2021, 02:33 PM
Good showing overall. Joker just closed them out just like great players do. The last jump shot is unguardable.

ceperez
10-23-2021, 03:37 PM
I also hope to see a bit more of Landale. Tonight shows that we are really lacking in length. When Nuggets players attack the rim they go for jams. When our guys attack the rims they go for outstretch/rushed layup. Our line up mainly consist of 6-5 players theirs 6-8. Also despite more mins DW actually shoots less (or ard the same) and assist more as compared to last year. He basically alceded usage to other players.

The reality is that Spurs are undersized as compared to the elite teams in this league.

TDMVPDPOY
10-23-2021, 04:02 PM

shouldve tried to get a real defensive big who isnt afraid to be of posters...that Allen centre from cleveland would be nice...he can come off the bench but logging starters minutes given the matchups that night

RC_Drunkford
10-23-2021, 04:25 PM
Poeltl has always struggled defending dominant post up bigs. Him getting in foul trouble after 3 minutes is a given. Can you actually bet on that?

Chomag
10-23-2021, 04:36 PM
I agree with everything but Forbes not getting an F, he did absolutely nothing and was the 6th man on the floor for the other team.

Milwaukee was thrilled to give this guy back to us, I wouldn't doubt that they had a party the night he left lol

Elementis
10-23-2021, 05:03 PM
thing is: you go get yourself a massive big who isn't getting pushed around, you spend as muc time complaining about him not being able to close out or getting blown by anyone on crutches. gotta pick your poison.

Mugen
10-23-2021, 06:56 PM

"Hold my beer"

https://cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/gmg/5KPMCBLGJ5F2HOSXDM6FLTXVRM.jpg

RC_Drunkford
10-23-2021, 08:38 PM

We have that player. Pop just doesn’t want to play him because Eubanks is a vet and Landale a rookie