PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Bucks - Oct. 23, 2021

timvp
10-24-2021, 02:24 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-milwaukee-bucks-game-3/

Degoat
10-24-2021, 02:34 PM
Enjoyed reading the grades! Good stuff as always. Thought there were a lot of positives from the game. One thing I’ve noticed is they have been running a couple of post up plays for Keldon and Devin that they would run with kawhi/demar

Mnky
10-24-2021, 02:35 PM
Poetl was the MV"B".

talkspurs
10-24-2021, 02:41 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-milwaukee-bucks-game-3/

Thanks for the grades would it be possible to put their stat line right above the review for the individual player? I have to keep scrolling back up to the main statsheet to see it.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-24-2021, 02:55 PM
Poeltl guards Giannis as well as anybody. I thought he was fantastic.

HankChinaski
10-24-2021, 03:11 PM
I disagree with your B assessment of Poeltl I thoight he was fantastic last night at least an A.

Forbes was much worse than a C.

Everything else made sense.

Spurs played hard throughout even with this one being the 2nd game of a back to back.

spurraider21
10-24-2021, 03:15 PM
Forbes C- has to be a troll job right?

spurs10
10-24-2021, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the grades OP! Thought it was a good effort and makes me hopeful. We competed against the champs!

mo7888
10-24-2021, 03:24 PM
I disagree with your B assessment of Poeltl I thoight he was fantastic last night at least an A.

Forbes was much worse than a C.

Everything else made sense.

Spurs played hard throughout even with this one being the 2nd game of a back to back.

Pretty much this..

TD 21
10-24-2021, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the grades OP! Thought it was a good effort and makes me hopeful. We competed against the champs!

Not trying to denigrate the effort, but it's not worth reading into.

While the Bucks were rested, waiting for the Spurs and coming off a blowout loss, it was a one off game where they were in cruise control and missing two starters (Lopez, DiVincenzo), their sixth or seventh man (Portis), as well as a fringe rotation player (Ojeleye).

emanueldavidginobili
10-24-2021, 04:03 PM

While the Bucks were rested, waiting for the Spurs and coming off a blowout loss, it was a one off game where they were in cruise control and missing two starters (Lopez, DiVincenzo), their sixth or seventh man (Portis), as well as a fringe rotation player (Ojeleye).
They also lost by 42 the game prior. I think they went into this game trying to dominate, they for sure wasn't in cruise control lol.

TD 21
10-24-2021, 04:12 PM
They also lost by 42 the game prior. I think they went into this game trying to dominate, they for sure wasn't in cruise control lol.

I said they were coming off a blowout loss. Cruise control is a judgement call, but they damn sure didn't bring the level of focus and intensity they did vs the Nets.

Spurs fans should know how this works.

poopbox
10-24-2021, 04:14 PM
Bryn Forbes got a C grade :rollin

Did Bryn Forbes write his own grade :rollin

Chomag
10-24-2021, 04:49 PM
Poeltl guards Giannis as well as anybody. I thought he was fantastic.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
10-24-2021, 05:06 PM
timvp -- on forbes' grade, you accidentally put C instead of F.

C is close to F on the keyboard, so no worries. just a typo.

remember F is for:

Forbes
Fucking
Failure

BackHome
10-24-2021, 05:08 PM
Poodle looks like he actually put in some work this summer happy for him. But he needs to continue to keep working on all the small stuff if he wants to be a leader on this team - Hopefully Timmy can introduce him to his old work out routines.

As far as Vassell I think he is super hungry and really wants to get better and show what he can do he is just pressing to much. Not mad at that it’s really important that he becomes more then a Danny Green 3&D type of player for us. I think him missing the G League last year really hampered his development. I still have faith that he can put it together but it’s going to take him getting consistent minutes and Pop given him the Green light for him to make the strides we want from him

K...
10-24-2021, 05:12 PM
and undrafted player with a second contract is a rare sight for a reason. people tripping over themselves to demand the superlative cannon be emptied to burry a streak unathletic shooter 3 games in the season is funny in in earnestness. it's like on a team with middling talent picking on the little guy is the only trick they have left.

jjspur
10-24-2021, 05:29 PM
The spurs did as well if not better than expected against the NBA champs. Even though they are below .500 , I see them as a better team then last year with room to grow.

Spurs Homer
10-24-2021, 05:30 PM
ewwwbanks is still garbage
forbes is BELOW garbage

play primo over forbes
at least try jock over ewwwbanks

spurs10
10-24-2021, 06:23 PM

While the Bucks were rested, waiting for the Spurs and coming off a blowout loss, it was a one off game where they were in cruise control and missing two starters (Lopez, DiVincenzo), their sixth or seventh man (Portis), as well as a fringe rotation player (Ojeleye). Yeah they were missing a lot of guys, but like you said were 'rested' and coming off a big loss. They could have lost this game if someone not named McBuckets could have scored a few points. DM had a good game otherwise, but was a non-factor offensively. I don't think we will do well against the top tier teams, but maybe we'll compete a bit better than I've been expecting.

John B
10-24-2021, 06:38 PM
Good grades Timvp. I hope they don’t get discouraged by the loses, but continue to stay hungry. If both games had them shooting 3’s relatively, they could’ve been 2-1 or even 3-0. Again the defense is not bad, and it keeps them in the ballgame. Now just need to sink those buckets.

emanueldavidginobili
10-24-2021, 07:11 PM
I said they were coming off a blowout loss. Cruise control is a judgement call, but they damn sure didn't bring the level of focus and intensity they did vs the Nets.

Spurs fans should know how this works.
I agree bro i'm just saying of course they didn't bring the intensity they did when they just received their rings. Spurs were over matched by a mile no matter the injuries or the intensity the Bucks had and the Spurs competed.

LeBowen
10-24-2021, 07:19 PM
Eubanks isn't good enough to be a NBA rotation player, even on a lottery team.
Decent enough as a third stringer, but that's about it.

Idk if Landale is any better, but unless he gets a chance we'll never know.

Forbes is among the worst players in the league in every single aspect of the game except for shooting.
But he's also a horrible shooter for someone who's supposed to be good at it.

Primo's shot already looks as good as his. There's literally no reason for Forbes to keep getting minutes over him.

Other than that, this team is actually fun to watch. Hopefully Pop gets over himself and Bryn starts catching DNPs.

The Truth #6
10-24-2021, 07:27 PM
Another fantastic loss. Seriously. Such a change of pace from last year, which was painful basketball to watch. Love the effort from the team.

Ozballer
10-24-2021, 07:45 PM
As casual reader I noticed Murray's grade commentary is always very similar. As in, not a good distributor, creator for the team (Not a good thinker?).
Is it fair to assume that it is unlikely that he will develop this area of the game ? If not, does he become the weakest link of the starting line up? Particularly with a game plan that still sits in the pre "3 bombing era" of the NBA and allows teams to defend the Spurs deep, clogging the paint.
Thanks for all those game wraps too.

emanueldavidginobili
10-24-2021, 07:59 PM
As casual reader I noticed Murray's grade commentary is always very similar. As in, not a good distributor, creator for the team (Not a good thinker?).
Is it fair to assume that it is unlikely that he will develop this area of the game ? If not, does he become the weakest link of the starting line up? Particularly with a game plan that still sits in the pre "3 bombing era" of the NBA and allows teams to defend the Spurs deep, clogging the paint.
Thanks for all those game wraps too.
Personally I think at the end of the season he’ll have more good games than bad. He’s getting into rhythm now and luckily his right hand man has that natural ability to distribute. He wasn’t born with that or came out of college with that ability but he continues to learn and get better, he wants to be great.

DJ does so much during the course of the game that I’m okay with what he brings to the table. He is who he is and he’s a damn good overall basketball player and will continue to get better imo. He’s light years better than he was when he got drafted, he’ll figure it out.

The Truth #6
10-24-2021, 08:32 PM
DJ is limited as a floor general but I’ve accepted that because he brings other things. In the preseason he had a few games where he seemed to slow down, the form on his jumper looked smooth, and overall he looked more poised. That made me think he had improved. Still early, but those games may have been a blip.

KobesAchilles
10-24-2021, 11:30 PM
Is there a particular reason why DJs shooting 10% from 3? Also as shitty as that number is I’m proud that he’s up
to 3 attempts per game but I would prefer him at about 5 a game. Get as much practice this year as he can. It can only help him going forward. Dude still passes up open 3s and I’m just like fucking shoot it. Idk if he’s aware how vital a 3ball can be specifically for him. It opens up his entire game, makes his midrange more deadly, easier to get to the basket and even easier to distribute the ball. Also it would probably solve his weakness of getting to the line.

Even though White is missing a lot of his attempts, i looove that he’s at 5 a game. Just need him to be more aggressive but I don’t think he has that in him

Fireball
10-25-2021, 02:53 AM
I wish Poeltl had the hands of Clint Capela ... really the thing lacking right now. Otherwise he plays great.

Watching Forbes is really tragic comedy right now. He looks totally lost on defense, stumbles, runs into teammates or opposing players. If he then misses he first two shots, he should be benched and not see the rest of the game.
Tre Jones should have played his second half minutes.

Overall its just three point shooting that the Spurs just do not do good enough in today's NBA.

Thx for the grades!

Dex
10-25-2021, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the grades timvp! Love the subtle troll job :lol

Dex
10-25-2021, 09:10 AM
I wish Poeltl had the hands of Clint Capela ... really the thing lacking right now. Otherwise he plays great.

Watching Forbes is really tragic comedy right now. He looks totally lost on defense, stumbles, runs into teammates or opposing players. If he then misses he first two shots, he should be benched and not see the rest of the game.

Overall its just three point shooting that the Spurs just do not do good enough in today's NBA.

Thx for the grades!

Yep, too many players under-performing from 3 so far, it seems.

Dejounte .100
Johnson .000
Walker .263
Forbes .111
White .375
Vassell .364

Eubanks hasn't attempted a single three.

The only person really shooting well is McBuckets at .556.

We could live with White and Vassell at that percentage, but we need more guys to come along for the ride. Still a small sample size, so hopefully the numbers regress to the mean quickly. I don't expect Murray or Johnson to shoot so poorly all season...hell, same goes for Forbes.

rjv
10-25-2021, 09:38 AM
i'm starting to feel that the offense would run better under tre jones but that's not a knock on murray as whole because dj is still so effective on the defensive side, as well as on the boards. maybe dj just needs some more time to assimilate with life without derozan dominating the ball handling.

Kurgan
10-25-2021, 09:40 AM

Thx for the grades!

Every year, three point shooting seems to be a problem with this team. Maybe it's time to hire new shooting coaches?

Rocalcio
10-25-2021, 11:33 AM
Poodle looks like he actually put in some work this summer happy for him. But he needs to continue to keep working on all the small stuff if he wants to be a leader on this team - Hopefully Timmy can introduce him to his old work out routines.

As far as Vassell I think he is super hungry and really wants to get better and show what he can do he is just pressing to much. Not mad at that it’s really important that he becomes more then a Danny Green 3&D type of player for us. I think him missing the G League last year really hampered his development. I still have faith that he can put it together but it’s going to take him getting consistent minutes and Pop given him the Green light for him to make the strides we want from him

Vassell can be much more than a Danny Green

Chinook
10-25-2021, 11:39 AM
Vassell can be much more than a Danny Green

He can be different than a Danny Green, but it would take a ton for him to be "more". There isn't a single player on the team that's close to as good as Green was. I think the mentality that guys can't just be spot-up shooters that's leading to the team's woes. You can be the shooter who gets a more diverse game, but be the shooter first. Someone on the team needs to be the Danny Green, preferably two or three of the young guys, so the other guys can actually develop to be the higher-options they have a chance to be.

Rocalcio
10-25-2021, 11:43 AM
He can be different than a Danny Green, but it would take a ton for him to be "more". There isn't a single player on the team that's close to as good as Green was. I think the mentality that guys can't just be spot-up shooters that's leading to the team's woes. You can be the shooter who gets a more diverse game, but be the shooter first. Someone on the team needs to be the Danny Green, preferably two or three of the young guys, so the other guys can actually develop to be the higher-options they have a chance to be.

I’m not worried about Vassell’s 3pts %, it will increase, I’m pretty sure of that. And we know he’s already an elite defender. But he can also show more offensive skills than Green, like dribble of creating his own shoot.

Rocalcio
10-25-2021, 11:43 AM

I’m not worried about Vassell’s 3pts %, it will increase, I’m pretty sure of that. And we know he’s already an elite defender. But he can also show more offensive skills than Green, like dribbling or creating his own shoot.

Chinook
10-25-2021, 12:12 PM
I’m not worried about Vassell’s 3pts %, it will increase, I’m pretty sure of that. And we know he’s already an elite defender. But he can also show more offensive skills than Green, like dribble of creating his own shoot.

He's not already an elite defender. He shows flashes of really good defense. That's not a knock on him, but if he can be a decade-long starter who contributes for three titles on three different teams, then it would be a great career for him. Don't get me wrong -- I hope Devin gets there. But the Spurs badly need guys who can be three-and-D guys and fewer guys who can show off their flash midrange games after breaking off possessions.

MultiTroll
10-25-2021, 01:17 PM
Another of DJs strengths is open court transition. Fabulous.

Spurs need to keep those ops coming. Like bring in Primo who can also trans excellently.

RC_Drunkford
10-25-2021, 02:19 PM
3-Point shooting and lack of attempts from 3 have been a problem for this team since 2016. Maybe it’s the coach?

Also Pop is clearly not allowing Eubanks to shoot jumpers. Y’all should know how it goes

MultiTroll
10-25-2021, 03:32 PM
3-Point shooting and lack of attempts from 3 have been a problem for this team since 2016. Maybe it’s the coach?

Also Pop is clearly not allowing Eubanks to shoot jumpers. Y’all should know how it goes
Rack it.
Dead last for the previous season, currently tied for 27th out of 30.

Sniffers? :drunk:pop::drunk

TD 21
10-25-2021, 03:46 PM
Yeah they were missing a lot of guys, but like you said were 'rested' and coming off a big loss. They could have lost this game if someone not named McBuckets could have scored a few points. DM had a good game otherwise, but was a non-factor offensively. I don't think we will do well against the top tier teams, but maybe we'll compete a bit better than I've been expecting.

They also could have lost by more if he didn't shoot the lights out.

Dex
10-25-2021, 05:55 PM
Rack it.
Dead last for the previous season, currently tied for 27th out of 30.

Sniffers? :drunk:pop::drunk

Hey, I like Jim's...although I miss seeing Antonio Daniel's goofy ass smile on the menu.