PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Lakers - Oct. 26, 2021

timvp
10-27-2021, 03:47 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-los-angeles-lakers-game-4-2/

1-3 never felt so good :tu

pookenstein
10-27-2021, 03:57 PM
Forbes only played 3 minutes? Felt like 15.

Mugen
10-27-2021, 03:59 PM
Spot on across the board tbh, pretty damn happy with how the season has started.

GAustex
10-27-2021, 04:01 PM
Eubanks played too.

K...
10-27-2021, 04:23 PM
Damn, haters to timvp "give forbes an F" timvp: gives forbes the INC. Haters destroyed.

John B
10-27-2021, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the grades Timvp. Eubanks C+ nothing to write home about

I’m impressed with Poeltl aggressiveness on offense. His FT could be better. His defense, he needs to get strong in not giving up the post.

Lonnie/Vassell impressive. We’re watching them growing to their potential.

We know what to expect fro DJ. Just needs to attack the basket more and earn FT’s.

White needs to be as aggressive as the other guys. I feel he’s getting left behind. Needs to shoot straight

McD, more consistency. I think we won two more games in those games that he missed hitting the 3’s

KBD, nice pickup with his size and range, and willingness to play defense and high energy

Eubanks, dropped down from pre-season expectation. He needs to be more burly out there, don’t over do it with shooting

Young’s minutes should be Londale, but Pop has to showcase him.

If Bryn cannot catch and shoot, he has no business playing. I rather see Jones. Or I can’t wait for Joe to take his minutes next year.

I understand Primo needs to go to GLeague and gets playing time.

In general, I’m happy with the team playing hard. It’s just gonna get better.

tbdog
10-27-2021, 05:19 PM
Vassell is the new face of this franchise. This guy has Paul George potentially. Like, early Indiana days when George was skinny. He needs to start instead of White. Yes, I'll continue throwing mud at our starting backcourt.

rastaspur
10-27-2021, 05:24 PM
I'd be completely fine with a 1-81 record if the team is competitive like they've been. Extremely entertaining tank seasons are rare like a unicorn. Sign me up for it.

GAustex
10-27-2021, 05:25 PM
Eubanks loses a half a grade for bricking that 3 pointer off the backboard

jjspur
10-27-2021, 05:41 PM
Hey the spurs are 1-3 against quality teams (not orlando of course). The can hang around 3 quarters with the good teams. Lets wait until they play some average or below average teams then we'll see what they are really made of.

heyheymymy
10-27-2021, 05:46 PM
Eubanks loses a half a grade for bricking that 3 pointer off the backboard

I saw that. We have all been asking for it since he flashed that new range in preseason/was said to have worked on it this summer.

Well shit.

Arcadian
10-27-2021, 06:08 PM
I'd be completely fine with a 1-81 record if the team is competitive like they've been. Extremely entertaining tank seasons are rare like a unicorn. Sign me up for it.

That would be fascinating if a team actually went 1-81 while being competitive in every game. They wouldn't be the worst team of all time in terms of point differential, but they would have to have some kind of mental disability that makes them incapable of winning. That would actually be funny.

The Truth #6
10-27-2021, 06:35 PM
Pop isn't playing Forbes and has the team motivated to play from the first game. It's hard for me to nitpick past that so far. The big picture stuff seems right. Bigger gripes are the FO moves, or non-moves, of not trading Young, and the obvious of signing Forbes in the first place.

emanueldavidginobili
10-27-2021, 06:50 PM
This team probably wins if Derrick helped out DJ just a little bit. This guy just doesn't have the cojones, the hand checking and the chippiness started and this man shrunk.

Also I saw a lot of people complaining about DJ having 24 attempts, what else was he suppose to do? He was the only one not scared to make a play and was the only one that could get an open attempt 1 on 1 make or miss and the only one that could find someone open for the most part.

Lonnie added a nice spark and then he went to the bench forever it felt like.

Devin played really well, loving his ceiling. He did look shaky at times but i'm okay with that he's 21 he'll come around in those moments. What i'm not okay with is a 27 year old Derrick White shitting his pants.

John B
10-27-2021, 06:56 PM
This team probably wins if Derrick helped out DJ just a little bit. This guy just doesn't have the cojones, the hand checking and the chippiness started and this man shrunk.

Also I saw a lot of people complaining about DJ having 24 attempts, what else was he suppose to do? He was the only one not scared to make a play and was the only one that could get an open attempt 1 on 1 make or miss and the only one that could find someone open for the most part.

Lonnie added a nice spark and then he went to the bench forever it felt like.

Devin played really well, loving his ceiling. He did look shaky at times but i'm okay with that he's 21 he'll come around in those moments. What i'm not okay with is a 27 year old Derrick White shitting his pants.

DJ needs to develop ways to attack the rim, and maybe get to the line. He cannot always settle for jump shots to close the game. TP at his size was one of the best finisher under the rim.

spurs10
10-27-2021, 06:58 PM
Thanks Señor OP! I certainly agree this was a 'haertbreaker,' but like everything about our play that wasn't involving 'freebie' shots. Should be tough in Dallas, but I'll hope for another great effort.

emanueldavidginobili
10-27-2021, 07:07 PM
DJ needs to develop ways to attack the rim, and maybe get to the line. He cannot always settle for jump shots to close the game. TP at his size was one of the best finisher under the rim.
A lot of his 15 assist came from attacking the rim and attacking the P&R. It's hard to drive and finish with all those big man shot blockers they have. I think he did an excellent job at taking what the defense gave him, he just didn't hit them.

John B
10-27-2021, 07:22 PM
A lot of his 15 assist came from attacking the rim and attacking the P&R. It's hard to drive and finish with all those big man shot blockers they have. I think he did an excellent job at taking what the defense gave him, he just didn't hit them.

TP texted. It didn’t matter if LeBron was guarding him.

Don’t get me wrong. I like the way he played, but he could add more trips to the line. He’s obviously the heir go-to guy. Learning that niche of getting to the FT would only make his game more complete.

RC_Drunkford
10-27-2021, 07:55 PM
I still don't understand why we were guarding Westbrook at the 3-point line when he can't shoot

B1gduff
10-27-2021, 08:43 PM
Personally, I think Dj needs to slow it down,he has the talent and knows his trebght. But he rushes at times, with him I would say, find his speet spot on the floor, attack and kick out, keep on taking the 3.

White, I always thought he was better situtated to play as 6th man type of role, but as a starter he hasn't been bad.it's a 50/50

Lonnie, I would love start at Sg, he has th elite speed with Dj to create trouble on the fllor. When he gets hot, he can score from, anywhere. Plus helps spread the floor.

KJ: I'm fine with him starting, but need to improve that 3pt shot. Outside fo that, Defensively, he's been lacking and than again he's also defenidng bigger guys.

tbdog
10-27-2021, 08:59 PM
White's issue is his role as a starter isn't the pg. He is asked to play differently. So his decision making is inconsistent. Pacing has been his problem.

Dex
10-27-2021, 09:40 PM
Lakers just lost to the winless Oklahoma City Thunder tonight.

:pctoss

NASpurs
10-27-2021, 09:46 PM
1-9 is going to feel even better.

lefty
10-27-2021, 09:49 PM
Fuck moral victories

Win or bust

NASpurs
10-27-2021, 09:54 PM
Fuck moral victories

Win or bust

Is this a season where moral victories are going to outnumber actual victories? We should keep track.

4-0 in moral victories so far.

TDomination
10-27-2021, 10:01 PM
Vassell is the new face of this franchise. This guy has Paul George potentially. Like, early Indiana days when George was skinny. He needs to start instead of White. Yes, I'll continue throwing mud at our starting backcourt.

Not sure about the Paul George analogy because I never watched him but I agree 100% on vassel. I feel like he’s got something special.

tbdog
10-27-2021, 10:35 PM
Is this a season where moral victories are going to outnumber actual victories? We should keep track.

Not sure about the Paul George analogy because I never watched him but I agree 100% on vassel. I feel like he’s got something special.

If you remember George's game back then, he was a streaky shooter and scorer with good length and defense. He was a rounded swing man. His play making and strength came much later. PG avg 21 ppg before he was traded out. I think vassell can get there as early as next year. Vassell is a little bit smaller than George though.

Fireball
10-28-2021, 12:49 AM
That would be fascinating if a team actually went 1-81 while being competitive in every game. They wouldn't be the worst team of all time in terms of point differential, but they would have to have some kind of mental disability that makes them incapable of winning. That would actually be funny.

when they lose another 5-10 games the intensity will decrease continuously…. they will stop sharing the ball and the defense will suffer as well … then it will be like any tanking season of a young team

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-28-2021, 10:47 AM
Devin has been great. Poetl was awesome. Lonnie looked good as well. It's too bad he appears to tire out pretty quickly. And Murray has an obvious tell in when he starts to get tired in that his jumper starts coming up short, hitting the front of the rim. That last shot he took before OT was 'money' in that regard. I knew it was going to land short. But these guys are laying it all out there. Playing defense is exhausting and you could see Murray selling out on that end. Proud of the team overall.

We need to see if there's any market for Young, and as for Forbes....well....fvck.

RC_Drunkford
10-28-2021, 11:23 AM
when they lose another 5-10 games the intensity will decrease continuously…. they will stop sharing the ball and the defense will suffer as well … then it will be like any tanking season of a young team

this exactly. They won't play with that intensity every game

wildbill2u
10-28-2021, 11:47 AM
I was sorry to see the Spurs lose after playing so hard and then giving up leads. However, the loss points up the fact that we just don't have a reliable closer. If Murray is the go-to guy at the end of close games, he proved he isn't ready for that responsibility. Overall, it was a fun game to watch and the effort was there, but this team has problems against all-star caliber players on both ends of the court.
Keldon is going to be a disappointment as a starter as he hasn't proved he can do anything against a sagging defense. Vassell is the guy who should replace him. Mcdermott might be the guy that can take the Forbes role off the bench while letting someone else start at PF. Apparently the coaches like Bates-Diop and I'd actually like to experiment with him at PF with the starting unit. That would make my starting unit, Poertle, Diop, Vassell, Murray and White.
First guys off the bench would be Johnson and Walker with McDermott, Drew and Jones completing a second team. I'd also like to see if Jock can play for a few high energy minutes.

If the strategy is to play high energy defense, then the coaches are going to have to do more substituting to keep our guys fresh. You could see Murray had lost some energy and was tired by the end of the 4th when he started hitting the front of the rim. Lonnie simply disappears some times and appears hesitant when given the ball.

Pop is going to have to do a lot of experimenting to find the right combinations of players and playing time. So far, so good.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-28-2021, 03:42 PM
this exactly. They won't play with that intensity every game

Yep, this team will need to win some games, otherwise the intensity will drop off and the second half of the season will be painful to witness.

The Truth #6
10-28-2021, 04:18 PM
Yep, this team will need to win some games, otherwise the intensity will drop off and the second half of the season will be painful to witness.

One theory is that Pop is pushing hard to get his record, and then after that he may change his approach/lineups etc. How that overlaps with the team's motivation will be interesting to see.

Chomag
10-28-2021, 06:05 PM
Poetl now needs a DNP to get over himself tbh.

lefty
10-29-2021, 01:39 AM

We staaaaaaacked

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-29-2021, 11:24 AM
Poetl now needs a DNP to get over himself tbh.

:lol Exactly.