PDA

View Full Version : Faker notes: Jackson fires his own shots

alamo50
11-24-2005, 12:12 PM
By Ross Siler, Staff Writer

EL SEGUNDO - The Lakers' season is only 10 games old, but Kobe Bryant already has taken shots in the closing seconds of three of those games that have met with coach Phil Jackson's disapproval.
And Jackson went so far as to take his complaints about Bryant's shot with 17 seconds left in Sunday's loss to the Chicago Bulls to Jay Leno's set during a Tuesday appearance on "The Tonight Show."

"I think we see the game in very similar ways," Jackson said in response to a Leno question about earning back Bryant's trust. "First of all, we worked together for five years previously. And so he kind of understands the way we want to go.

"But then there was a game on Sunday night. He took the ball and went to the hoop immediately. That's not how I saw it. So we had to talk that out."

With the Lakers trailing 94-93, Bryant tried to force in a shot over Chicago's Mike Sweetney and Luol Deng. Jackson said Wednesday that he wanted to know from Bryant if he drove to the basket so quickly because he could sense a double-team coming.

Had he waited longer, Bryant could have let the Lakers better set up their offense. He also could have wound up isolated against Deng one-on-one.

"I just wanted to make sure that he understood what our concepts are in that situation," Jackson said.

In the Lakers' opening-night victory against Denver, Bryant launched a fadeaway jumper at the end of regulation when Jackson wanted him to drive to the basket instead.

Bryant also missed a 3-pointer with 5.9 seconds left in the Lakers' loss to Philadelphia on Nov. 11. Jackson had been hoping Bryant would drive, forcing the Sixers defense to collapse on him, and find guard Smush Parker for an open jumper.

"The big key is about taking the highest percentage opportunities that come your way," Jackson said, "and that's what we're trying to get."

Fashion police: Jackson also revealed on "The Tonight Show" that Bryant had been cited for violating the NBA's dress code by wearing sneakers (instead of dress shoes) to a recent game. Bryant said he didn't know about it when asked Wednesday.

Role playing: One day after Lamar Odom voiced his desire to average 20 points in the Lakers' next four games, Jackson talked with the 6-foot-10 forward about what he needs from him.

"He said he just wanted me to play my game, but I'll still be aggressive," Odom said, later adding, "I think averaging 20, that'll be the outcome."

Jackson said Odom needs to prioritize team play and moving the ball over simply scoring. Bryant, meanwhile, said he had encouraged Odom to shoot more after Sunday's game. Odom took four shots against the Bulls, compared to Bryant's 34.

"He just has to be more assertive," Bryant said. "It's tough for him because he's still trying to figure out where to be in this offense. At the same time, it's a fine line between being assertive and trying to stay within the system and he has to kind of figure out a balance."

Also: Forward Kwame Brown is making progress in his return from a hamstring strain but won't play until Tuesday at the earliest. ... Jackson said he would push back his planned Thanksgiving evaluation of the Lakers until mid-December due to a rash of injuries.

Ross Siler, (818) 713-3610

[email protected]

Link (http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_3246804)

Keep laughing my ass off!!!

:spin

jman3000
11-24-2005, 12:40 PM
I might be reading too much into this, but it seems as though Bryant has taken it upon himself to decide which plays (usually ones where he shoots) are for the good of the team and what players roles are within the team itself. Those two things have always been and will continue to be the job of the coach. I see some trouble brewin' already for the Lakers in this young season.

Medvedenko
11-24-2005, 02:32 PM
The only trouble is that they are below .500. It's natural for a team to go through these processes when rebuilding.