PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday Shopping

SequSpur
11-25-2005, 07:22 AM
Hell No!

I went to Walmart at 5 am on 1604 and Culebra. So did the rest of San Antonio.

Why in the fuck would a million people want a 20 inch TV DVD player for 88 bucks?

It wasn't even a flat screen.

That is about all that was left, there must've been a thousand of them.

All the computers were sold out, all the gameboys and the other cool crap.

5 am and every parking lot within 200 yards was completely full.

Damn.

MannyIsGod
11-25-2005, 07:32 AM
:lmao I was wondering wtf you and Christy were doing up. I guess now I know.

JoeChalupa
11-25-2005, 08:31 AM
The wife is already home. Got what we wanted!

lilmads
11-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Shopping in the middle of the nightt.. Awesome! :)
I just wish we had a WalMart down here...

alamo50
11-25-2005, 08:46 AM
The wife is already home. Got what we wanted!

Your wife had the shopping and you had the time for yourself?

JoeChalupa
11-25-2005, 08:51 AM
Your wife had the shopping and you had the time for yourself?

No, I was supposed to go with her but I bailed 'cause I gotta work today. So she called me about every 30 minutes so I didn't really get back to sleep after 3AM. :cuss

But she had some nice stuff for hubby so it was cool.

Didn't get the laptop though...my cheap ass will stick to my desktop.

SpursWoman
11-25-2005, 09:20 AM
:lmao I was wondering wtf you and Christy were doing up. I guess now I know.

I had to go to work today... :lol :depressed

Fuck that....I'm a Christmas Eve, last minute shopper. :lmao

Shelly
11-25-2005, 10:30 AM
You couldn't PAY me to go shopping today.

Fuck that....I'm a Christmas Eve, last minute shopper.

I make my husband do the Christmas shopping! :lol

Hook Dem
11-25-2005, 10:33 AM
[QUOTE=Shelly]You couldn't PAY me to go shopping today.

The only sane one in the bunch!

SA210
11-25-2005, 10:39 AM
All of San Antonio, are always at Wal-Mart and HEB everyday. You could put 2 HEB's across the street fom eachother and they'd both be full. :lol

MannyIsGod
11-25-2005, 03:55 PM
No shit, I hate going to HEB around 7pm. Thats a guarnteed way to get pissed off enough to kill.

TheSuckUp
11-25-2005, 04:00 PM
I love my H-E-B!!!

ChumpDumper
11-25-2005, 04:22 PM
I'm usually resigned to shopping the 24hr HEB in the dead of night. If I need something most days I just stop by the Albertsons near work -- a comparative ghost town.

Kori Ellis
11-25-2005, 04:43 PM
wtf is HEB?

Grocery store chain.

TheWriter
11-25-2005, 04:47 PM
Do you guys have Safeway? Vons? Ralphs? Or mostly just HEB's?

Mostly H-E-B's.

Now HEB is going with an HEB Plus format to go head to head with Wal Mart.

Kori Ellis
11-25-2005, 04:48 PM
Do you guys have Safeway? Vons? Ralphs? Or mostly just HEB's?

None of those. Mostly just HEB. It's practically a monopoly here. :lol

It's a good grocery store though -- it's similar in design (and quality) to most Ralph's in Cali.

Faccia di Angelo
11-25-2005, 04:54 PM
I was gonna go shopping this morning but realized it was too early, I was tired and broke. lol I saw how some people got trampled at walmarts in FL or somewhere. I do think there were some good deals this year but they were all big purchase items, that I can't buy right now as much as I'd like to. The things I do want are on sale all weekend, so I can hold off.

Das Texan
11-25-2005, 05:08 PM
I had an interesting debate this morning.

Sleep

or

Shopping

I hate shopping so sleep was the easy winner.

SpursWoman
11-25-2005, 05:12 PM
You couldn't PAY me to go shopping today.

I'd rather sky dive naked into an erupting volcano than go shopping today....or any day for that matter.

:nerd :lol

Duff McCartney
11-25-2005, 05:14 PM
I thought it was gonna be more crazy at work. It got so busy that they cut off ordering those desktops and laptops. They ordered too many.

But in the beginning it was sorta hectic...not that bad.

I saw that Best Buy and Circuit City were pretty freaking packed.

Mostly people were good about us not having stuff in stock anymore, but some people are like "Why do you even have those sales if you don't have any in stock?"

I just thought to myself...lady that's why people are standing outside at 5 am to get it. And you're coming it at 11 am expecting to get stuff...ridiculous.

SpursWoman
11-25-2005, 05:17 PM
So they aren't taking anymore orders for that $99 desk top? Or can you order it online yourself?

TheWriter
11-25-2005, 07:00 PM
H-E-B is based out of San Antonio which is a major reason it's king in San Antonio.

SA210
11-25-2005, 07:48 PM
I'm usually resigned to shopping the 24hr HEB in the dead of night. If I need something most days I just stop by the Albertsons near work -- a comparative ghost town.

Exactly. I usually go late late at night to shop at HEB.

2Blonde
11-25-2005, 08:18 PM
I slept in today and went to Comp USA at around 3pm and walked right and told the guy what I needed. He got it for me and I went right up to the cashier, no waiting and was out of there in 5 minutes. The store was busy but they had the stock and I didn't have to wait. I was very happy. I hate shopping so this made it really easy.

SpursWoman
11-25-2005, 08:44 PM
I ended up at Best Buy to return a monitor I bought to use while mine was out for service...that I actually got back early... :nerd And in turn buy a new hard drive because now that's messed up... :(

Waited about 2 minutes in line at customer service ... at the check out for the hard drive ... no wait.

Ran into Toys 'R Us to get my niece's birthday present, parked close...went right in, got what I needed....no wait in line.

For both of those places, that was actually the quickest I've ever been in and out. (Thank God. :) )

Black Friday is overrated. :tu

TheWriter
11-25-2005, 11:00 PM
Black Friday is overrated. :tu

Tell that to the woman who almost died in Michigan today.

What time did you go to these stores?

N.Y. Johnny
11-25-2005, 11:36 PM
fuck the idiots crowded at the stores like sheep...i'm doing all my buying online and letting the Fed Ex and DHL guy keep coming to the house here..i will not set foot in one store and haven't in a long time during this time of year.

From the week of Thanksgiving to XMas i avoid the stores like the plague.

Zombie
11-25-2005, 11:38 PM
That dumb ass bitch fell and never tried to get up.
I bet you that same winch is gonna sue the store!

TheWriter
11-25-2005, 11:42 PM
That dumb ass bitch fell and never tried to get up.

Might be kind of... you know... hard when you have hundreds of dumbshits all stampeding into a Wal Mart.

Zombie
11-25-2005, 11:45 PM
NO wait, she had to put her wig back on! :lol
leno just showed it twice!

Duff McCartney
11-26-2005, 12:57 AM
So they aren't taking anymore orders for that $99 desk top? Or can you order it online yourself?

I think you can only order those at the store. They are CTO. They stopped ordering them because they went over the limit and they don't know if they will get any in time for the holidays.

Vashner
11-26-2005, 03:21 AM
LOL you purchased a monitor for the intent of temporary use and returning it? That's funny. I don't know weather to laugh or cry on that. You don't have an ethical problem with doing that?

RashoFan
11-26-2005, 03:55 AM
None of those. Mostly just HEB. It's practically a monopoly here. :lol

It's a good grocery store though -- it's similar in design (and quality) to most Ralph's in Cali.
Except you can buy beer and wine...if you want liquor, you have to go to the "liquor store".
I miss buying liquor at the grocery store( shopped at Lucky's ) :depressed

Kori Ellis
11-26-2005, 04:06 AM
Except you can buy beer and wine...if you want liquor, you have to go to the "liquor store".
I miss buying liquor at the grocery store( shopped at Lucky's ) :depressed

Yeah I have been here for 3 years and I still don't know what times you are allowed to buy liquor/beer/wine. In Cali it's simple, buy anything before 2am, any night of the week. Here it's like.... buy beer from a grocery store between 9am and midnight except the third Tuesday after the autumn equivinox, Sundays, or on nights when the Spurs lose in double digits ... or something like that.

Horry For 3!
11-26-2005, 04:20 AM
hahaha Black Friday

ObiwanGinobili
11-26-2005, 08:20 AM
Black Friday was an awesome day for the E-Bay shopper! :D
:tu
noone was online bidding, so if you were dumb enough to list your shit to end yesterday then I'm sorry to say it either went unsold or was snipe at mere pennies by cheap as folk like me! :lol

NWT Gap jeans - $3
NWT Levi's - $5
NWOT 2 pr Old Navy boyfriends - $15
NWT Lucky Boyfriend jeans - $23
NWOT - Applebottom jeans - $18
NIB Ocean Wonders baby gym and tunnel - $17
3 Whozitt developmental rattles - $16

:elephant :elephant
whoooo freaking hoooooooo :smokin

JoeChalupa
11-26-2005, 10:03 AM
Yeah, I got some good stuff on ebay yesterday too.

SpursWoman
11-26-2005, 10:36 AM
You don't have an ethical problem with doing that?

I did until my hard drive crashed. Maybe if *you* spent $300 on an extended service plan that they'd be kind enough not to take 6-8 weeks to fix the damn thing when it breaks. :spin

And that really wasn't my intent when I bought it, we're getting a computer for my daughter for Christmas and I would just pass it on...but when I started using it I didn't like it at all.

SpursWoman
11-26-2005, 10:41 AM

What time did you go to these stores?

There's an episode on Mythbusters that shows that there are several shopping days that are actually worse than Black Friday. I'd say the tax-free weekend was considerably worse.

No one else I talked to today had any horrific problems, either. Why are you trying to make it sound so ominous? Because a lady in Michigan got trampled .... out how many people, exactly, that went out yesterday? :lol

I went around 6:00pm.

1Parker1
11-26-2005, 11:45 AM
:wow :nerd I went shopping for 6 hours yesterday....I guess I'm the lone person around here who actually enjoys Black Friday? :lol

1Parker1
11-26-2005, 11:48 AM
noone was online bidding, so if you were dumb enough to list your shit to end yesterday then I'm sorry to say it either went unsold or was snipe at mere pennies by cheap as folk like me! :lol

NWT Gap jeans - $3
NWT Levi's - $5

Damn, and I bought Gap Jeans yesterday morning at 7am for $48 thinking that was a good deal....

How much do you pay for shipping those things Obiwan? Like isn't shipping $10-15 bucks for those $3 GAP jeans?

Shelly
11-26-2005, 11:49 AM
There's an episode on Mythbusters that shows that there are several shopping days that are actually worse than Black Friday. I'd say the tax-free weekend was considerably worse.

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/thanksgiving/shopping.asp

Claim: The day after Thanksgiving is the biggest shopping day of the year in the U.S.

Origins: The day after Thanksgiving is the day millions of Americans, enjoying a rare Friday off (and a dearth of football games on television), head for the malls to inaugurate the Christmas shopping season. "Black Friday" (as it is known in the retail industry, supposedly because it's the day retailers turn the corner and see their balance sheets move out of the red and into the black) is regularly cited as "the busiest shopping day of the year," but although it may be the day the greatest number of holiday shoppers traipse through malls, it isn't the biggest day of the year in terms of dollars spent:
Popular belief has it that the Friday after Thanksgiving is the busiest shopping day of the year.

These days many shoppers buy with the holidays in mind all year long. Decorations go up around Halloween, and some Santa Clauses arrive at malls before Thanksgiving. Some shoppers got an early start Thursday at a limited number of stores like Kmart and Wal-Mart Super Centers, which were open on the holiday. To be sure, there are still intense crowds on the day after Thanksgiving — led by the "doorbusters" who show up at dawn for early-bird sales.

"It's one of the busiest days in terms of traffic but not in sales," said Pam Rucker, spokeswoman for the National Retail Federation. "But the mystique is still there."1

"People just want to get out and do something on that day," said Jay McIntosh, director of U.S. Retail and Consumer Products for accounting giant Ernst & Young. "They do because of all of the incentives to shop, but many aren't buying."2
Sales figures spike on the day after Thanksgiving, drop sharply, then steadily increase throughout December. The result is that Black Friday generally ends up ranking as the fifth biggest sales day of the year at most (and sometimes less), behind the four days comprising the two weekends before Christmas. The day on which holiday sales peak varies depending upon which day of the week Christmas falls upon, but the highest sales day is usually either the last Saturday before Christmas or December 23.

According to the International Council of Shopping Centers, the top shopping days for each of the last twelve years have been as follows:

* 2004: Saturday, Dec. 18
* 2003: Saturday, Dec. 20
* 2002: Saturday, Dec. 21
* 2001: Saturday, Dec. 22
* 2000: Saturday, Dec. 23
* 1999: Saturday, Dec. 18
* 1998: Saturday, Dec. 19
* 1997: Saturday, Dec. 20
* 1996: Saturday, Dec. 21
* 1995: Saturday, Dec. 23
* 1994: Friday, Dec. 23
* 1993: Thursday, Dec. 23

Holiday shopping patterns may change in years to come due to the increasing prevalence of shoppers' using on-line sales outlets for their holiday purchases. For now, however, Wal-Mart still remains the top holiday-gift destination for U.S. shoppers.

Additional information:
Christmas Shopping Facts and Figures Christmas Shopping Facts and Figures

1Parker1
11-26-2005, 11:51 AM
^^I hate Wal-Mart with a passion....

ObiwanGinobili
11-26-2005, 12:15 PM
Damn, and I bought Gap Jeans yesterday morning at 7am for $48 thinking that was a good deal....

How much do you pay for shipping those things Obiwan? Like isn't shipping $10-15 bucks for those $3 GAP jeans?

the Gap and Levi's were from the same seller so I'm getting combined shipping. Plus i just bought another pair of Levi's fro mthat seller this morning for my sister. Altogether the shipping on those 3 pairs will be $8 parcel post. :angel

the highest shipping cost I'm paying is $11 UPS ground on the baby gym.

Believe me - shipping is a BIG factor when I'm deciding what I'll bid on. It could be the PERFECT item.. but if shipping is all out of whack then heck no! I will not bid.

I think my best overall deal was on the applebottom jeans.... $18 + $5.95 shipping = way less then $90+ retail. :lol

N.Y. Johnny
11-26-2005, 05:06 PM
the Gap and Levi's were from the same seller so I'm getting combined shipping. Plus i just bought another pair of Levi's fro mthat seller this morning for my sister. Altogether the shipping on those 3 pairs will be $8 parcel post. :angel

the highest shipping cost I'm paying is $11 UPS ground on the baby gym.

Believe me - shipping is a BIG factor when I'm deciding what I'll bid on. It could be the PERFECT item.. but if shipping is all out of whack then heck no! I will not bid.

I think my best overall deal was on the applebottom jeans.... $18 + $5.95 shipping = way less then $90+ retail. :lol

You probably bought those from my brother Elmo's Ebay Store. where was the seller from?
he's a big seller of Gap, Levis, and Abercrombie on there. :hat

ObiwanGinobili
11-26-2005, 05:18 PM
You probably bought those from my brother Elmo's Ebay Store. where was the seller from?
he's a big seller of Gap, Levis, and Abercrombie on there. :hat

seller was from chicago... doesn't have a store front.

N.Y. Johnny
11-26-2005, 05:25 PM
no it wasn't him then

easjer
11-26-2005, 08:31 PM
Ah, yes, Black Friday. Now, if you are trying to get one of the hot deals, it's crowded, busy, unpleasant and you could be trampled. And you have to wait in line. In New Braunfels, people were camping outside Circuit City at 7 pm Thursday to get the great $200 laptop deal at 5 am Friday.

Now, if you don't need one of those deals, going shopping around 7 or 8 in the morning is ideal - the early shoppers are out of the way, you are well in advance of the lunchtime crowd and all the early deal checkout folks are still on shift.

It's beautiful.

CharlieMac
11-26-2005, 11:50 PM
I heard people talking about hating Walmart while they were having coffee at Starbucks. That was one of the best moments of my life. Hypocricy is a beautiful thing....

Oh, but one good thing come out of Black Friday this year. Watching that woman get knocked over on television and worry about getting her wig back on before getting trampled has to be one of the top ten funniest moments this year.

maxpower
12-03-2005, 03:44 PM

NWT Gap jeans - $3
NWT Levi's - $5

That's funny. Because EBay raked in the most money from the online shopping sites, including Amazon, Wal-mart etc.
Caught a bit of it on cnn this morning on a roundtable regarding onine sales during BF.

I walked into CompUSA at 6:30 PM and walked out with the last 200 gig harddrive for $29(AR of course), wireless router and 2 wireless cards for $2.99 each(AR).