PDA

View Full Version : FAN THREAD: What's the best possible outcome for the season

KobesAchilles
11-02-2021, 12:02 PM
In the dark days of Kawhi's infamous bitch fit, 2 options were suddenly thrust upon the San Antonio Spurs, known at the time as the premier organization in all of basketball. Both of these options had plenty of positives and negatives attached and you couldn't really say which option was the best option. The two options were as followed:

A: The Spurs trade Kawhi Leonard for a all-star quality player, a young prospect, and a draft pick. Years to come we see teams like the Thunder, Rockets, and Pelicans make out like bandits when it comes to draft capital. The Spurs were hoping to be on this list but Kawhi did everything in his power to screw the franchise over. From threatening to sit out on us, to telling other teams he won't re-sign with them, to even saying he would sit out on other teams, Kawhi did the Spurs no favors.

Pro for option A: You get backa player who can lead you to the playoffs. You have two good veteran players who won't give you a championship, but also won't make you suck really bad. Also their veteran leadership and culture can be passed on to the youth and help them as they find their ways as pros. You should never have to rely on a 19 year old kid to lead a franchise.

Cons: You are basically stuck in no mans land fighting for the 8th seed. There's really no way to improvement bc much of the salary is tied up to the expensive vets. You run the risk of losing them for nothing or overpaying them to stay so you can continue being mediocre. And in our instance there was also a fit issue between two midrange jump shooters

B: trade Kawhi for the best possible amount of picks. Then trade LMA for a 1st rounder and then do your best to trade Rudy Gay as well. All goes well and you can end up with 4 first round draft picks in relatively short term and fast track the rebuilding process.

Pros for Option B:
You have plenty of draft picks so you have more chances on finding a player of the future. We have a very good scouting and developmental team and we would be putting our trust into the strength of the team rather than having a finished product that doesn't really fit our style. Having new blood on the team can cause excitement and a fast paced style of play that is more fun to watch. And if we were going to find our franchise player, it would certainly be in the draft since we are a small market team. Plus the pay wage would be down so FO isn't spending money on a losing product and not overpaying for mediocre players.

Cons: We would be trying to find a needle in a haystack. There's no guarantee that we would find a star. Does tanking even work? See the Kings and the Wolves. And coaching a bunch of 19 year-olds is a headache. Plus we would basically be saying we are going to suuuuck for the next 3 years.
Like I said earlier, there were pros and cons to both.

We know the choice that Pop made and this thread isn't to rehash what we should or shouldn't have done. Rather it's the opposite. What about today? What should we do right now? what is the dream season that you have as a fan for this team going forward? What are your thoughts going forward as the season progresses?

slick'81
11-02-2021, 12:05 PM
Playoffs or we riot

or a legit top 10 pick

no more tread mill 12th pick ,end of lottery territory

KobesAchilles
11-02-2021, 12:08 PM
Playoffs or we riot

or a legit top 10 pick

no more tread mill 12th pick ,end of lottery territory
I mean for me, as a member of Team Tank, this has been a dream season. We are playing all of our youth. we are seeing who fits and who doesn't fit. We are able to separate the fat from the meat. And we can still develop the youth and have them grow as players. We play with heart and determination and grit. And we are playing in a much better style than we have been the past 3 seasons. And above all we are still losing and getting that high draft pick.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-02-2021, 12:10 PM
If we exclude a completely unrealistic good playoff run option, then the dream scenario would be that they play well, develop a couple of guys into a clear future star path, win 45 games or so, end up 7th, lose the play in then win the lottery with .5 odds.

stnick2261
11-02-2021, 12:12 PM
The best possible outcome would be for our young players to be competitive in every game and learn to play well with each other... but for Forbes to lose each game in the final minutes so we get a top draft pick (who will put us over the top into championship contention). Especially with Primo completely dominating the GLeague before joining our 2022 draft pick for next year.

itzsoweezee
11-02-2021, 12:48 PM
The only thing important this season was getting the young guys playing time. I don’t want to see Bryn Forbes or Thad Young being trotted out again. What’s the point? I expect the opposite to happen though.

LaMarcus Bryant
11-02-2021, 12:49 PM
lakers plane crash

FutureMan
11-02-2021, 08:56 PM
Best outcome is we finish with the 6-8th pick and win the lottery to get the #1 pick, our team learns how to hit free throws (a high school basketball level request but here we are), Johnson learns to become at least an average three point shooter and Derrick/Lonnie/Vassell improve their shot.

MultiTroll
11-02-2021, 11:04 PM
As was stated the younger players with talent and who are going to contribute to the future being developed.

Owners / management finding their spine and easing Gramps out now. Like summer 2017 now.
For me summer 2014 would have been 2nd best.
Summer 2007 the best.

Popped getting some non life threatening but requiring he retire from ALL bb activities is the only thing that is going to stop this train wreck.

offset formation
11-02-2021, 11:09 PM
Sadly, for the foreseeable future on the current trajectory, we'll not be shitty enough to get a top 5 pick, nor good enough to make the playoffs. So we're in literal ÑBA Draft purgatory, which might as well be hell assuming winning is the goal, unless of course, a Primo can alter our station upward.

playbonner15
11-03-2021, 07:34 AM
the young guys sniff some playoffs... primo gets some playoff burn

Chomag
11-03-2021, 07:50 AM
Pop getting over his phobia of playing young players would be nice.

The Truth #6
11-03-2021, 09:03 AM
Developing young players and seeing what we have, who we let go, that’s the biggest goal. Losing games is inevitable. But there’s no point in losing if we aren’t figuring out our future in the process. So far, we seem to be accomplishing that.

Ocotillo
11-03-2021, 09:14 AM
To get better.

After watching Sabonis pretty much have his way, we can see the 4 is the weakest spot on this roster. I know that is one game but we are small at most positions. It's a positionless league until it isn't. When the Lakers are healthy, they are tough for us to compete with because of the size they have. Turner and Sabonis gave us fits.

Some of you have said we are a superstar away from being a top tier playoff team. I agree. To even have a sniff at a chance, you have to have that player. Dallas has one, Milwaukee has one and of course the Lakers, Nets and Warriors all have top 10 players on their rosters.

For a team to like the Spurs to make the playoffs, everything has to go right because they don't have the horses. There a lot of solid players on this team now but we don't have the superstar and it's a superstar league. I can't help but think if we had a 6'10" superstar 4 with this roster, this team could advance in the playoffs.

So, best possible outcome is for what we have to get better. I am not on team tank. That's a lot of misery for a lottery ticket that even if you win, may not pay off. Look how many lottery picks the 76ers have gotten and even with Embid, where are they? Zion looks like he may never be what he can/should be because he loves to eat more than he loves to play. Giannis and Kawhi were all picked up later in the draft.

Tim Duncan isn't in the next draft so you improve as best you can, you ship out or cut the guys who are not cutting it and you keep your nose down and keep working.

I personally am enjoying this season.