PDA

View Full Version : Should have kept Samanic, anyone disagree?

Pages : [1] 2

Manu&Duncan fan
11-02-2021, 06:24 PM
Eubanks is trash and should have been cut instead of Samanic. Can we still get him back? You need to play him 20 games before cutting an athetotic big with a 3 ball like him.

Leetonidas
11-02-2021, 06:27 PM
Nah he's garbage. He's also not a C

EasyMoney
11-02-2021, 06:42 PM
To do what?

spurraider21
11-02-2021, 07:02 PM
Nah he's garbage. He's also not a C
its not like our issue is shortage of C's. its needing a modern 4.

nobody here thought poodle + eubanks + landale + zollins made sense

KingKev
11-02-2021, 07:04 PM
No, and he is a Knick.

baseline bum
11-02-2021, 07:07 PM
Oh yeah he's really lighting shit up for the Knicks this year

Leetonidas
11-02-2021, 07:12 PM
its not like our issue is shortage of C's. its needing a modern 4.

nobody here thought poodle + eubanks + landale + zollins made sense

All true but still Samanic isn't the answer and clearly whatever happened there was about more than just his ability so he was never going to stick regardless. I mean shit should we have held onto that scrub Trey Lyles too because we needed a PF?

Just don't see the point in crying over spilled milk. Especially when it's clear he had other issues holding him back here

TimDunkem
11-02-2021, 07:24 PM
He sucks and has a shitty attitude.

Dex
11-02-2021, 07:29 PM
Hasn't played a single second for NYK so far.

Maybe Pop isn't as stupid as people around here want to pretend.

Robz4000
11-02-2021, 07:36 PM
Should've kept Scola imo.

Chinook
11-02-2021, 07:52 PM
No. The Spurs don't need to simp for dudes like that. They'll be in position to draft high-end talent every year for a while, and they can get guys with similar potential with fewer red flags. There's no reason for someone to cling desperately to scratch-offs from a shitty convenience store when they are getting a six-figure salary already.

MultiTroll
11-02-2021, 07:56 PM
https://static-10.sinclairstoryline.com/resources/media/c176b4c5-6d2c-4a26-8aef-13f310c8ff42-large16x9_905744460612x612.jpg?1539723006854

MultiTroll
11-02-2021, 07:58 PM
Obviously no one on the Knicks thought he should stay up with the big club.
OTOH the Knicks :lol

Their BBIQ is not that much higher then Pops.
We'll see what happens with him this year.
If he is good enough i predict he will play with some NBA team this year.

SpurPadre
11-02-2021, 08:47 PM
It was a mistake to have drafted him in the first place. Fuck that T-Rex armed motherfucker.

slick'81
11-02-2021, 09:22 PM
Black eye for the scouting department

K...
11-02-2021, 09:43 PM
Black eye for the scouting department

do you want them to take risks? because we can draft a team of avery johnson can't shoot tryhards. Drafting a talented 18yr old and expecting maturation is a good bet, sadly they lost the best.

exstatic
11-02-2021, 10:01 PM
Eubanks is trash and should have been cut instead of Samanic. Can we still get him back? You need to play him 20 games before cutting an athetotic big with a 3 ball like him.

He doesn’t have, nor has he ever had a 3ball.

paperboy77
11-03-2021, 07:12 AM

Nah... he is.

paperboy77
11-03-2021, 07:17 AM

Eubanks is not that bad. Once again, it’s Pop that controls who plays. Landale should get some run tho.

Poolboy5623
11-03-2021, 08:50 AM

Who wasted a pic on the bum at 19?

Dex
11-03-2021, 09:06 AM
Who wasted a pic on the bum at 19?

That's right, I forgot that every single pick the Spurs ever make is supposed to be a home run. :rolleyes

exstatic
11-03-2021, 09:59 AM
KBD >>> Sammich

The Truth #6
11-03-2021, 10:43 AM
That's right, I forgot that every single pick the Spurs ever make is supposed to be a home run. :rolleyes

It feels like our drafting is regressing to the mean these days, unfortunately. The Luka situation feels like a debacle all around but the FO has made character an even more important criteria now, and Primo seems great in that regard.

Uriel
11-03-2021, 10:59 AM
Agree with OP, only because his waiving was necessitated by the signing of Bryan Forbes.

Russ
11-03-2021, 11:11 AM
The only thing anyone will remember about the 2019 draft is that the Spurs did it again -- they heisted Keldon Johnson at #29.

Drfating Samanic at 19 will be forgotten (especially since they dumped him so quickly).

pad300
11-03-2021, 11:23 AM
Agree with OP, only because his waiving was necessitated by the signing of Bryan Forbes.

Yeah, I'd rather have him than Bryn on the team... It's quite possible Samanic will never make it in the NBA, but I'd rather the potential in him than the finished product of Bryn.

Fusternino
11-03-2021, 11:32 AM
Yeah signing Forbes and then apparently having a plan to trade Young that never materialized really caused a roster crunch. Although note Luka hasn't played and no one has picked up Aminu. Hopefully the Zollins signing doesn't also end up as a Forbes situation.

offset formation
11-03-2021, 11:34 AM
Yeah signing Forbes and then apparently having a plan to trade Young that never materialized really caused a roster crunch. Although note Luka hasn't played and no one has picked up Aminu. Hopefully the Zollins signing doesn't also end up as a Forbes situation.

Narrator: It will [and already has].

exstatic
11-03-2021, 11:44 AM

His waiving was necessitated by the signing of KBD, who was on a 2 way the early part of the summer, but was upgraded to an NBA contract. Hmmm. Wonder why?

RC_Drunkford
11-03-2021, 02:28 PM
KBD is terrible by the way

Mr. Body
11-03-2021, 02:46 PM
Samanic shouldn't have been a lazy, fuck-up, right-wing loser. He'd be getting playing time right now if he wasn't a lunatic who wanted everything handed to him.

wildbill2u
11-03-2021, 02:57 PM
You can't say Pop leaves players on the bench when they have skills and positive attitudes ...if you think about Diop getting some play lately. It's clear that Pop and coaches think Diop is better than Saminich.

The Truth #6
11-03-2021, 03:10 PM
Samanic shouldn't have been a lazy, fuck-up, right-wing loser. He'd be getting playing time right now if he wasn't a lunatic who wanted everything handed to him.

For real? He was a right wing fanatic?

tmtcsc
11-03-2021, 03:21 PM
Congrats OP, this was easily one of the worst observations and questions I have ever seen posed on this forum. I couldn't disagree more. Luka Sammich turned out to be a terrible draft pick and I felt he shouldn't have been here as long as he was. He was one of the worst additions to this team in recent memory.

SAGirl
11-03-2021, 03:46 PM
Spurs added a lot of bigs this past summer and McDermott who can shoot. They had none of those guys last season and they still wanted no part of Luka. He’s still 2 years away and as I said back then may never put things together bc it turns out he has a low motor and bad attitude.

spurspl
11-03-2021, 04:09 PM
should have tanked and draft morant/rj barret/herro/ rui etc...

J_Paco
11-03-2021, 04:28 PM
No. The Spurs don't need to simp for dudes like that. They'll be in position to draft high-end talent every year for a while, and they can get guys with similar potential with fewer red flags. There's no reason for someone to cling desperately to scratch-offs from a shitty convenience store when they are getting a six-figure salary already.

Right, if the Spurs land in the top 4 they'll likely have an opportunity to draft a better prospect than Samanic with a higher ceiling. Three of the top 4 players in the Stepien's (tier 1) prospect rankings is a PF/C, while 5 more also have PF/C size in tier 2.

I hate to see the Spurs losing, but a high - end PF/C prospect is badly, badly needed at this point.

Plus, if someone emerges out of the G - League then they can possibly take a flier on them.

Shit, I think Cam Oliver is available and he could likely give you some production with energy, hustle and some shooting.

Trill Clinton
11-03-2021, 04:41 PM
No thanks

GAustex
11-03-2021, 05:57 PM
Spurs really need a starting PF and a bench/ playable PF. KBD ain’t the answer

KingKev
11-03-2021, 06:46 PM
Spurs really need a starting PF and a bench/ playable PF. KBD ain’t the answer

KJ, McLovin and Vassell not cutting it? Average height of 6’6, 215lbs lol.

slick'81
11-03-2021, 06:53 PM
:lol:lmao:rollin

ismael-robert
11-03-2021, 07:24 PM

Usually it's the other side that wants everything handed to them

Proxy
11-03-2021, 10:12 PM
Usually it's the other side that wants everything handed to them

tax breaks say otherwise

Kurgan
11-03-2021, 10:25 PM
For real? He was a right wing fanatic?

Wouldn't say a fanatic but he was following conservative personalities on IG. There was also a post last year about him treating an essential worker very badly.

offset formation
11-12-2021, 09:15 AM
Luka dropped 17 pts in 19 minutes of play, going 7 of 10 from the field, in his Knicks G-League debut last night.

rjv
11-12-2021, 10:13 AM
Luka dropped 17 pts in 19 minutes of play, going 7 of 10 from the field, in his Knicks G-League debut last night.

the key isn't how luka performs in the g-league; he had several stellar outings for the austin spurs. for luka, it all comes down to how he plays in the NBA. that he is still in the g-league is a concern in of itself.

offset formation
11-12-2021, 01:02 PM
the key isn't how luka performs in the g-league; he had several stellar outings for the austin spurs. for luka, it all comes down to how he plays in the NBA. that he is still in the g-league is a concern in of itself.

He just got to their organization. This was his first game with their G-league affiliate. Have no doubt that if he plays well there, they'll bring him up to the Knicks.

And also have no doubt that if he shows he can play there, he will play. Unlike here where Pop went from praising his NBA play one game -- even saying he was earning more minutes -- then promptly sitting his ass for like 12 straight games thereafter, without even garbage time.

I have a feeling the Spurs royally screwed up his situation because he rubbed pop the wrong way.

bluebellmaniac
11-12-2021, 01:28 PM
Quitters are gonna quit. Good riddance, but wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors.

SupremeGuy
11-12-2021, 01:58 PM
tax breaks say otherwisethe left is literally in favor of big government, handouts, social programs, high taxes, government dependence, etc.

also, tax breaks only work for one side of the political spectrum? lolwtf what a shitty attempt at a counterpoint

rjv
11-12-2021, 02:03 PM
He just got to their organization. This was his first game with their G-league affiliate. Have no doubt that if he plays well there, they'll bring him up to the Knicks.

And also have no doubt that if he shows he can play there, he will play. Unlike here where Pop went from praising his NBA play one game -- even saying he was earning more minutes -- then promptly sitting his ass for like 12 straight games thereafter, without even garbage time.

I have a feeling the Spurs royally screwed up his situation because he rubbed pop the wrong way.

time will tell but i'd be surprised if luka carves out a rotation spot with the knicks.

The Truth #6
11-12-2021, 02:03 PM

I agree with a lot of that. He won’t be the last difficult personality the team has to deal with, though they seem to hope they can only rely on good character guys moving forward. The odds are he won’t make it, but I expect him to play well enough at times, sort of like Metu launching 3s with total confidence now.

exstatic
11-12-2021, 02:13 PM

He’s on a 2 way. That’s all the contract he could get. His MAX time in NY is 45 days. That includes practice days, game days, travel days and off days.

Thibs doesn’t tolerate laziness or lack of effort, either. Probably more of a hard ass than Pop.

Dex
11-12-2021, 02:16 PM
Repost this when he plays actual NBA minutes and does something noteworthy other than the occasional three or defensive play

jjspur
11-12-2021, 02:25 PM
He should be having good games in the G-League, he was there for two years, however he should realize there is a huge difference between real NBA talent and G-League talent.

offset formation
11-12-2021, 11:49 PM
He’s on a 2 way. That’s all the contract he could get. His MAX time in NY is 45 days. That includes practice days, game days, travel days and off days.

Thibs doesn’t tolerate laziness or lack of effort, either. Probably more of a hard ass than Pop.

Absolutely agree. My point is if he makes it there, it's because he is talented and does have heart despite the general consensus in spurslandia.

And if he does, I'd submit its a straight up repudiation of pop given Thibs is in fact probably an even hard ass than pop. just might mean Thibs let his talent shine.

We'll see.

Proxy
11-13-2021, 03:45 AM
the left is literally in favor of big government, handouts, social programs, high taxes, government dependence, etc.

also, tax breaks only work for one side of the political spectrum? lolwtf what a shitty attempt at a counterpoint

Honey, you “literally” have a middle school understanding of the bs mainstream media narrative. “Conservatives” by nature are lazy af

Maddog
11-13-2021, 07:40 AM

Right,
The other issue is I just don't think he's a very instinctive player. Despite the skills, athleticism. Hell score. But not rotate on d or very slowly, think on offense. I know there was a lot of justifiable criticism of his motor, but I think it's compounded by his slow basketball processing speed

KingKev
11-13-2021, 08:05 AM

NBA champion Brian Forbes. Put some respekt on his name.

exstatic
11-13-2021, 08:29 AM
Absolutely agree. My point is if he makes it there, it's because he is talented and does have heart despite the general consensus in spurslandia.

And if he does, I'd submit its a straight up repudiation of pop given Thibs is in fact probably an even hard ass than pop. just might mean Thibs let his talent shine.

We'll see.

People have been thinking he would turn it around for years, but he had a reputation as a lazy attitude case in Europe, long before we even drafted him. He should probably be very frugal and careful with that last few million he got when the Spurs waived hm.

Maddog
11-13-2021, 08:52 AM

We'll see.

No it wouldn't be a repudiation of Pop. IF he succeeds the Spurs should get some credit for giving him a kick in the butt. Also, Thibbs and Pop are close. Coincidence he landed with the Knicks?, Probably, but maybe not.

sananspursfan21
11-13-2021, 09:06 AM
Our guys would be like 10-2 if they only kept Samanic

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-13-2021, 10:40 AM
Our guys would be like 10-2 if they only kept Samanic

Undefeated if he and Dejuan Blair were both starting in the frontcourt.

The Truth #6
11-13-2021, 11:35 AM
No it wouldn't be a repudiation of Pop. IF he succeeds the Spurs should get some credit for giving him a kick in the butt. Also, Thibbs and Pop are close. Coincidence he landed with the Knicks?, Probably, but maybe not.

His best performance was against the Knicks where he played great defense, so I think that’s why they picked him up. Ironic, considering his lazy reputation overall. But that’s my hunch.

sananspursfan21
11-13-2021, 11:59 AM
Undefeated if he and Dejuan Blair were both starting in the frontcourt.

DUUUUUUUUUDE :lol

tmtcsc
11-13-2021, 12:03 PM
Spurs have a lot of questions going forward but Sammich doesn't answer any of them. HARD NO. Never should have been here as long as he was. Wasted pick.

SupremeGuy
11-13-2021, 12:34 PM
Honey, you “literally” have a middle school understanding of the bs mainstream media narrative. “Conservatives” by nature are lazy afSo no argument? Got it.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
11-13-2021, 02:28 PM
my problem with republicans aka fake conservatives is they are so invariably pessimistic

Seventyniner
11-13-2021, 02:44 PM
Samanic should have been kept over Forbes, if that's what you mean. But even that "trade" wouldn't really move the needle for the current team.

buttsR4rebounding
11-19-2021, 06:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-oSNK_X7Po

John B
11-19-2021, 07:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-oSNK_X7Po

Now if he could do that in the big club :lol

talkspurs
11-19-2021, 07:37 PM
i wanted us to keep him. There were a few players I would have let go before him. I also think the FO messed up the Off season again but haveing to cut him because they signed to many players. Luka I felt never got as much of a shot as other players. I also think he was more of a position of need and would have loved to see him start the year as a starter like lonnie did last year. If he did not preform atleast you gave him a shot.

baseline bum
11-19-2021, 07:57 PM
G-League highlight reels? :rollin

BillMc
11-19-2021, 08:52 PM
I mean yeah its g-league. That said, keeping him couldn't have made the Spurs any worse... Hopefully, for his sake, being cut lit a fire under him he didn't have before. Danny Green turned it aroud after Cleveland booted him...

exstatic
11-19-2021, 08:57 PM
i wanted us to keep him. There were a few players I would have let go before him. I also think the FO messed up the Off season again but haveing to cut him because they signed to many players. Luka I felt never got as much of a shot as other players. I also think he was more of a position of need and would have loved to see him start the year as a starter like lonnie did last year. If he did not preform atleast you gave him a shot.

My thoughts after the summer signings and trades were that it was going to come down to Sammich or Eubanks, and at least Eubanks tries. Sammich is a lazy ass, and there’s no spinning or fixing that.

John B
11-19-2021, 10:19 PM
My thoughts after the summer signings and trades were that it was going to come down to Sammich or Eubanks, and at least Eubanks tries. Sammich is a lazy ass, and there’s no spinning or fixing that.He has that Lyle’s entitled, so talented but lazy.

Mr. Body
11-19-2021, 10:20 PM
I don't think his behind the back dribbles into crowds would have solved anything.

offset formation
11-19-2021, 11:15 PM
G-League highlight reels? :rollin

32/10 on 12/23 shooting is nothing to sneeze at given we don't have any 21 year olds in the Spurs pipeline doing it, aside from Primo...you seem to think the Spurs talent cup runneth over.

Dejounte
11-19-2021, 11:17 PM
I will say that Luka's timing looks improved and he's exhibiting more patience with his shots inside the paint. I need to see it done in the NBA though and I'm not going to hold my breath.

spurs1990
11-20-2021, 01:17 AM
Coachovich cut him because of one lazy play in the middle of the preseason vs Orlando of all teams. I don't think any other coach would've done that cutting nose spiting face move. Only one with no threat of losing his job even if he posted five straight 60 loss seasons.

Oh and someone made a crack about Dejuan Blair. The same Blair who started most of that 2011 season with the Spurs being 36-5 at one point only for coach to bench him at the end and get an L from 8th seed for the trouble.

baseline bum
11-20-2021, 04:29 AM
32/10 on 12/23 shooting is nothing to sneeze at given we don't have any 21 year olds in the Spurs pipeline doing it, aside from Primo...you seem to think the Spurs talent cup runneth over.

Can you believe Pop let this guy go? 70 points, 9 assists, and 8 rebounds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX8q0LCWixM

talkspurs
11-20-2021, 11:07 AM
My thoughts after the summer signings and trades were that it was going to come down to Sammich or Eubanks, and at least Eubanks tries. Sammich is a lazy ass, and there’s no spinning or fixing that.

I think there might have been a couple other players talked about. I dont get why they signed some of the players they signed though. Even if they thought they had a trade lined up why did they not complete the trade. this would be 2 times recently that something was supposed to happened but didnt.

baseline bum
11-20-2021, 11:21 AM

I think it was probably just the Spurs saying this guy is a bust, let's not have to pay him for another year when he's not an NBA level player.

MultiTroll
11-20-2021, 11:31 AM
Oh and someone made a crack about Dejuan Blair. The same Blair who started most of that 2011 season with the Spurs being 36-5 at one point only for coach to bench him at the end and get an L from 8th seed for the trouble.

exstatic
11-20-2021, 12:04 PM

Kyle Anderson averaged 21 points, 8 boards, nearly 5 assists, and shot 36% from 3. The gleague isn’t a valid measuring stick for NBA success. It is, however, a teaching tool.

exstatic
11-20-2021, 12:09 PM
Coachovich cut him because of one lazy play in the middle of the preseason vs Orlando of all teams. I don't think any other coach would've done that cutting nose spiting face move. Only one with no threat of losing his job even if he posted five straight 60 loss seasons.

The camels back didn’t break from the last straw alone. Video of his early first year in Austin shows the same shit. Exasperation at a missed shot or a no call delaying his transition back on D, which never got above a slow trot, hanging his teammates out to dry, 4 on 5. His laziness isn’t a new development or a one time thing.

talkspurs
11-20-2021, 12:12 PM
Kyle Anderson averaged 21 points, 8 boards, nearly 5 assists, and shot 36% from 3. The gleague isn’t a valid measuring stick for NBA success. It is, however, a teaching tool.

You might want to pick someone other then Anderson to say is bad. He was a solid starter for memphis last year and is not doign bad this year. now if your saying that he looked good there but is not an allstar that is a better point but I dont think most people are thinking they will get the same stats in the NBA.

exstatic
11-20-2021, 12:18 PM
You might want to pick someone other then Anderson to say is bad. He was a solid starter for memphis last year and is not doign bad this year. now if your saying that he looked good there but is not an allstar that is a better point but I dont think most people are thinking they will get the same stats in the NBA.

Kyle got decent in about year 6. People here are calling Keldon a bust a few games into season 3.

It took that long for his shooting to translate. I actually liked him here, but he was unplayable in lineups without good long distance shooting. He was REVILED here, for the most part.

cd98
11-20-2021, 01:46 PM
We were so desperate for this guy to be good we cheered when he he got 3 rebounds. He was not good unfortunately.

dbestpro
11-20-2021, 02:45 PM
We were so desperate for this guy to be good we cheered when he he got 3 rebounds. He was not good unfortunately.

No one knows. All we know is Pop did not play him. If you suck Pop, you believe Luca is trash. If you think Pop has organic brain syndrome then you say the jury is still out on Luca.

Maddog
11-20-2021, 03:07 PM
Can you believe Pop let this guy go? 70 points, 9 assists, and 8 rebounds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX8q0LCWixM

So basically Pop singlehandedly got rid of a potential 100 points a game between jimmer and Luka?

BackHome
11-20-2021, 04:24 PM
No one knows. All we know is Pop did not play him. If you suck Pop, you believe Luca is trash. If you think Pop has organic brain syndrome then you say the jury is still out on Luca.

Pretty much spot on.

exstatic
11-20-2021, 05:11 PM

28 GMs disagreed with you. That’s how many didn’t even offer a minimum NBA contract. Actually, 29 didn’t but one team took pity on him, and offered him a 2 way. He was a #19 pick from 2 drafts previous, and already had guaranteed money for this year from SA, so he would accept minimum. Nearly free to take a flier on.

offset formation
11-20-2021, 07:25 PM

And he's a solid NBA veteran. Hard to walk away from a cheap extension we could have had on Samanic given he's 22 and potentially capable of being a solid NBA contributer for years to come. We'll see how it plays out but Samanic showed great flashes in very limited minutes last year. It'll hurt bad if he turns into even a reliable bench guy in NY.

exstatic
11-20-2021, 10:46 PM
And he's a solid NBA veteran. Hard to walk away from a cheap extension we could have had on Samanic given he's 22 and potentially capable of being a solid NBA contributer for years to come. We'll see how it plays out but Samanic showed great flashes in very limited minutes last year. It'll hurt bad if he turns into even a reliable bench guy in NY.

We didn’t fail to reach an extension. He was a year away from that option. They cut him so that they didn’t have to pick up his year four single season option. He was that bad.

He’s played 0 games for the Knicks, and only 1 game for their gleague affiliate. I think you’re safe from hurt. Thibs is probably even less tolerant of laziness and half assed effort than Pop.

baseline bum
11-21-2021, 12:05 AM
28 GMs disagreed with you. That’s how many didn’t even offer a minimum NBA contract. Actually, 29 didn’t but one team took pity on him, and offered him a 2 way. He was a #19 pick from 2 drafts previous, and already had guaranteed money for this year from SA, so he would accept minimum. Nearly free to take a flier on.

JFC ex, way to take a wet shit on boomer snowflakes butthurt with Pop not being one of them

https://c.tenor.com/SLU9OF7U3zcAAAAC/shaq-big-dunk.gif

lennycooke
11-21-2021, 10:10 AM
I wanted Matisse Thybulle at 19. He went one pick later at 20, and he's now become a destrutive force on the defensive end. The best overall defender in the league now, and most likely for the foreseeable future. I'm glad we got Vassell, but I don't think he'll ever become a defensive monster like Thybulle. But Vassell has more potential on the offensive side.

exstatic
11-21-2021, 12:35 PM
I wanted Matisse Thybulle at 19. He went one pick later at 20, and he's now become a destrutive force on the defensive end. The best overall defender in the league now, and most likely for the foreseeable future. I'm glad we got Vassell, but I don't think he'll ever become a defensive monster like Thybulle. But Vassell has more potential on the offensive side.

I kind of liked him, too, but he’s almost 25, and is still only playing 24 mpg. Supposedly, he couldn’t play much, because he and Simmons were a bad combination, shooting wise, but Simmons ain’t playing at all, and Matisse got a whole 4 minute bump. He’s a gimmick one way player. With Poeltl, DJ, Devin, and White, we don’t lack for defense. If Philly had drafted a scoring machine at #20, your case would be more valid.

D-Robinson 50 fan
11-22-2021, 10:25 AM

summed everything up very nicely with this post.

maybe Luka will turn it around and prove to be an NBA player but not many teams thought so after given a chance with the Spurs.

The way he plays in the G League doesn’t really translate (like I stated in the g league and his dedicated thread when he played better in Austin last year) to the way NBA teams will actually use him. His post offense and passing isn’t advanced enough to be looked at as a #1 or 2 option in the NBA.

the only way he will make an NBA roster and actually get real minutes is playing as a role player but you can tell that he thinks he is better than that. He has to be able to play good defense and hit the open 3 on a good number of attempts and a good percentage to get run in the NBA. This was also something I stated in his thread in the past and some posters laughed at me. SMH.

I wish him the best of luck and hopefully he figures out that he isn’t a star and embraces being a role player and he might make the NBA and get actual run.

Uriel
11-22-2021, 10:57 AM
The point is that he had a guaranteed contract for this season and we are still paying him his salary. Even if he is a bust, cutting him was the wrong move, especially because it could've been avoided had we simply not signed Bryn Forbes.

exstatic
11-22-2021, 11:34 AM
The point is that he had a guaranteed contract for this season and we are still paying him his salary. Even if he is a bust, cutting him was the wrong move, especially because it could've been avoided had we simply not signed Bryn Forbes.

Not cutting him would have meant guaranteeing another $4M for NEXT year. We’re only paying him for THIS season, $3M. The deadline for the team’s year four option was fast approaching. He had to go. As the old saying goes, when a shirt’s dirty, it’s dirty.

It’s really dumb to think it was Forbes that pushed him out. It was the conversion of KBDs 2 way to an NBA contract that opened the door.

talkspurs
11-22-2021, 06:52 PM
Not cutting him would have meant guaranteeing another $4M for NEXT year. We’re only paying him for THIS season, $3M. The deadline for the team’s year four option was fast approaching. He had to go. As the old saying goes, when a shirt’s dirty, it’s dirty.

It’s really dumb to think it was Forbes that pushed him out. It was the conversion of KBDs 2 way to an NBA contract that opened the door.

Why do you keep saying they spurs would have owed for next year. the option date had not passed so I am guessing we had not picked it up. So we could have just not picked up his 4th year option and then he would have been a free agent. I dont think it works like a guarantee date where if still on the team he is paid for the year. If we had picked it up I am pretty sure we would still owe for it.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/11/recap-of-2022-23-rookie-scale-option-decisions.html

exstatic
11-22-2021, 07:00 PM
Why do you keep saying they spurs would have owed for next year. the option date had not passed so I am guessing we had not picked it up. So we could have just not picked up his 4th year option and then he would have been a free agent. I dont think it works like a guarantee date where if still on the team he is paid for the year. If we had picked it up I am pretty sure we would still owe for it.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/11/recap-of-2022-23-rookie-scale-option-decisions.html

:lol

His attitude was for shit already. If he were on the roster with the Spurs having declined an option, he would be unplayable. You can’t really keep a player who’s option you’ve declined, and expect them to play hard, not that he ever did before. Declining the option says that player isn’t in your future development plan. At that point, he’s a guy on your roster competing for a spot. KBD was the clear better choice for this roster.

talkspurs
11-22-2021, 07:34 PM
:lol

His attitude was for shit already. If he were on the roster with the Spurs having declined an option, he would be unplayable. You can’t really keep a player who’s option you’ve declined, and expect them to play hard, not that he ever did before. Declining the option says that player isn’t in your future development plan. At that point, he’s a guy on your roster competing for a spot. KBD was the clear better choice for this roster.

Ive noticed when I prove you wrong you just talk about other things. It was the same then with DJM. I gave you facts and you started changing it even when I would ask you a direct question.

That may be your opinion but some people may play harder to try and get their next contract. Also if he is on our team and breaks out then we still have a shot to see him up close and try and resign him. You also brought up KBD but earlier you said it was between him and Euwbanks. Which is it? As I said there were a few talked about but if Forbes was not signed they could have kept him.

KingKev
11-22-2021, 07:37 PM
Ive noticed when I prove you wrong you just talk about other things. It was the same then with DJM. I gave you facts and you started changing it even when I would ask you a direct question.

That may be your opinion but some people may play harder to try and get their next contract. Also if he is on our team and breaks out then we still have a shot to see him up close and try and resign him. You also brought up KBD but earlier you said it was between him and Euwbanks. Which is it? As I said there were a few talked about but if Forbes was not signed they could have kept him.

It is a VERY common theme with Ex. When proven wrong he deflects.

exstatic
11-22-2021, 08:34 PM

It’s my opinion, and that of the Spurs, and that of 28 other teams, and a bunch of coaches and scouts in Europe. He’s a lazy ass, and not a try harder guy.

Yes, they could have kept him without picking up the option. It wouldn’t have been smart for the reasons I’ve stated. I mean, you’ve told him he’s not in your plans.

objective
11-22-2021, 09:00 PM
Never wanted Samanic drafted over Thybulle or Clarke, always thought his shooting was ridiculously overrated for a guy who never shot well at any level ever whether against juniors or grown men.

But his dopey spin dribble is something kbd can't do. He did improve on defense a lot even to a hater like me, and I don't think they cut the right guy.

He would have been more entertaining to watch at least.

Samanic has always had an attitude problem, but he wasn't throwing soup or crying about his locker like Kevin Porter Jr. His attitude issues were probably made worse by Pop's classic swagger jacks and injuries beyond his control.

mo7888
11-23-2021, 10:14 PM
Luka Samanic with a HUGE game for the Westchester Knicks!

29 PTS and 14 REB, that's his second game in a row of 25+ PTS and 10+ REB! https://t.co/TCN5rbyF0K

exstatic
11-23-2021, 11:19 PM
Luka Samanic with a HUGE game for the Westchester Knicks!

29 PTS and 14 REB, that's his second game in a row of 25+ PTS and 10+ REB! https://t.co/TCN5rbyF0K

Looks a lot like what he did in the Gubble. Acid test is if he gets a call up, does he piss off Thibs with his C- effort. This might have been one of the worst situations he could have found himself in, with another disciplinarian coach, and an incumbent All Star starting at his position.

John B
11-24-2021, 02:40 AM
Looks a lot like what he did in the Gubble. Acid test is if he gets a call up, does he piss off Thibs with his C- effort. This might have been one of the worst situations he could have found himself in, with another disciplinarian coach, and an incumbent All Star starting at his position.

If Samanic is serious on making it this 2nd chance, then playing for Thibs is the best thing that could happen to him. Coz he would be in the watchful eyes of Coach Thibs’ who will drill, and materialize that talent if he’s willing to put in the work.

hombre
11-24-2021, 04:06 AM
Thibodeau is going to hate him.

exstatic
11-24-2021, 11:05 AM
Thibodeau is going to hate him.

So
Much
This.

exstatic
11-24-2021, 11:09 AM
If Samanic is serious on making it this 2nd chance, then playing for Thibs is the best thing that could happen to him. Coz he would be in the watchful eyes of Coach Thibs’ who will drill, and materialize that talent if he’s willing to put in the work.

He’s never shown he’s willing to put in the work. Not here, and not in Europe. It’s beyond naive to think that being released, and still paid will some how lead to introspection and change. He’s just really self centered, lazy, and entitled, exactly the rep he had in Europe.

Leetonidas
11-24-2021, 11:16 AM
Let me know when he does anything close to that in an actual NBA game

MultiTroll
11-24-2021, 11:42 AM
with another disciplinarian coach,
CIA Popped a "disciplinarian" coach. :lmao

guy had and has so many pets it's pathetic.

MultiTroll
11-24-2021, 11:46 AM
You can’t really keep a player who’s option you’ve declined, and expect them to play hard,.
Would be interesting to see what has happened in previous cases.

That may be your opinion but some people may play harder to try and get their next contract.
This. Again, would be interesting to see what happened in all previous cases.

It’s my opinion, and that of the Spurs, and that of 28 other teams, and a bunch of coaches and scouts in Europe.
No denying this. ex does make a point here.

objective
11-24-2021, 04:19 PM
Warriors declined the fourth year option on Kevon Looney, then signed him to a one year minimum, then signed him to a 3/15 deal

talkspurs
11-24-2021, 04:39 PM
Would be interesting to see what has happened in previous cases.

This. Again, would be interesting to see what happened in all previous cases.

No denying this. ex does make a point here.

Without looking I would say most people that do not get their 4th year option picked up do not get resigned. There are some exceptions as the one mentioned above. it does happen though where they may get signed by other teams after that year. someone might even trade for him if they want to look at them and dont want to get a full year to him. (im guessing the most you would get is a second rd pick or another player they dont want) The player still could try to show what they could be on another team or if good enough stay on your team. thing is just like getting cut could be a wake up call so could not getting the option picked upped.

ChumpDumper
11-24-2021, 04:40 PM
Warriors declined the fourth year option on Kevon Looney, then signed him to a one year minimum, then signed him to a 3/15 dealKevon Looney is an NBA player.

MultiTroll
11-24-2021, 04:43 PM
Without looking I would say most people that do not get their 4th year option picked up do not get resigned. There are some exceptions as the one mentioned above. it does happen though where they may get signed by other teams after that year. someone might even trade for him if they want to look at them and dont want to get a full year to him. (im guessing the most you would get is a second rd pick or another player they dont want) The player still could try to show what they could be on another team or if good enough stay on your team. thing is just like getting cut could be a wake up call so could not getting the option picked upped.
2nd round pick and/or another player >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>getting zero in return and infact paying some one to go the fucking Nets.
Would not shock me if this was some wink nod between Olympic glory seeking Popped and Durant. I have zero proof, just saying would not shock me.

Loser move to let LMA hog minutes and buy him out for zero return.

talkspurs
11-24-2021, 05:00 PM
2nd round pick and/or another player >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>getting zero in return and infact paying some one to go the fucking Nets.
Would not shock me if this was some wink nod between Olympic glory seeking Popped and Durant. I have zero proof, just saying would not shock me.

Loser move to let LMA hog minutes and buy him out for zero return.

LMA and a 1st rd pick are different. with LMA he had a high salary so Brooklyn signed him for much much less then they would have to if they traded for him. Also they would have to have given up players they had and not wanted.

Luka on the other hand was not makeing much. yes they may still have to give up a player but it is much easier to find a low cost player then someone makeing as much as LMA.

MultiTroll
11-24-2021, 06:19 PM
LMA and a 1st rd pick are different. with LMA he had a high salary so Brooklyn signed him for much much less then they would have to if they traded for him. Also they would have to have given up players they had and not wanted.
Exactly. So was PATFO working for the Nets or the Spurs on the LMA for nothing deal?

KingKev
11-24-2021, 07:06 PM
Exactly. So was PATFO working for the Nets or the Spurs on the LMA for nothing deal?

We did it “for the culture”

Thad Young is next. At least we aren’t buying them out to join our new found competitors; Magic, Minny, Detroit and Clutch City have enough young talent to want our treasured vet.

dbestpro
11-24-2021, 07:27 PM
Bottom line, this team is broken at every level except for maybe janitorial services.

The Truth #6
11-24-2021, 07:59 PM
Unfortunately, I’ve heard that janitorial services have slipped as well. A complete talent drain.

SAGirl
11-24-2021, 08:09 PM
Warriors declined the fourth year option on Kevon Looney, then signed him to a one year minimum, then signed him to a 3/15 deal
Different situation because Looney had two hip surgeries back-to-back seasons and was stiff and in danger of being out of the league. He was more of a perimeter PF b4 the hip injuries but he had to adapt his game to play center and slim down plus get his body in the best shape. He turned things around for himself.

Luka's problem is something else, but he's certainly young enough that he could be a late bloomer somewhere else. It will require him turning things around effort-wise kind of like Danny Green did after getting cut from CLE and the Spurs. Samanic is going to have to claw his way back in.

MultiTroll
11-24-2021, 09:47 PM
We did it “for the culture”

Bottom line, this team is broken at every level except for maybe janitorial services.
Including the decision to dissolve the Silver Spurs Dancers.:sick

Tsk tsk :nope

buttsR4rebounding
11-25-2021, 05:32 AM
He’s never shown he’s willing to put in the work. Not here, and not in Europe. It’s beyond naive to think that being released, and still paid will some how lead to introspection and change. He’s just really self centered, lazy, and entitled, exactly the rep he had in Europe.

You can’t tell me that a guy who transformed his body like he did over 2 years isn’t putting in the work.

objective
11-25-2021, 06:23 AM
He did put work into his body, and his defense was better over time, a lot better.

I do think this showw one of the times that the line between being out of the league and career earnings over $50 million can come down to if a team can look past what happened with the previous team and coach a player up.

What if he never had his hand broken and gets in 42 minutes of court time the last 2 regular season games last year instead of KBD? Was that the difference in him ending on a good note?

Look at Ian:

Pop by year 3 was completely out on him and was not interested in succeeding with him. Whether it was the ridiculous road game at Toronto where Pop had a sprained ankle Tim Duncan come off the bench in the second quarter after not playing in the first at all to keep Ian away from minutes, or how he fumed at the mistakes but gave no credit when he did play ... That was it. 4th year option declined, nobody wanted to trade for him.

And if a guy couldn't play for the great Greg Popovich, after being a first rounder, he must suck, right?

Ian was lucky in getting what I think was a two year minimum which might not even have been guaranteed. Better off than Samanic, but at least Ian had the shine of not finding a role on a good team. And supposedly a deciding factor in even signing Ian was him being good with Beaubois who the Mavs were still in love with at the time.

And Ian got lucky again in that in his brief moment in the spotlight in the 2011 finals, he was able to shine. If he had been picked up by a lesser team, that opportunity never comes, and then maybe the future money never does either.

From the 2 years minimum in Dallas he goes on to a 4/16 then the 4/64. $80 million in money that never happens if the Mavs don't ask, "What if Pop is wrong?"

So maybe Samanic never clicks and goes back to Europe. He does have a hard road with a team that has established players in his way and a coach who has a history of not playing guys until forced to by circumstances, who never played Butler until everyone was hurt, who couldn't imagine getting Korver minutes and starts at the expanse of Keith Bogans or Ronnie Brewer.

But I see the footage of him now and he just looks happier on the court. Poorer but more free. A happy player is an invested player, and if he's invested maybe he can improve his skills.

Because despite his great stats in 3 games and looking good and happy, he still can't shoot threes (30.8%) or stop turning the ball over (5.0 per 36)

But I still think he would have been more fun to watch than KBD tonight. Lost game no matter what but at least a couple of highlights for this trash team that few fans engage with any more.

exstatic
11-25-2021, 09:28 AM

Luka on the other hand was not makeing much. yes they may still have to give up a player but it is much easier to find a low cost player then someone makeing as much as LMA.

Give up a player? NO ONE WOULD SIGN HIM TO A MINIMUM NBA CONTRACT! You need to stop this fantasy that there was a trade to be had for him. Teams didn’t want him for as close to free as you can get in the NBA.

D-Robinson 50 fan
11-25-2021, 10:05 AM
Different situation because Looney had two hip surgeries back-to-back seasons and was stiff and in danger of being out of the league. He was more of a perimeter PF b4 the hip injuries but he had to adapt his game to play center and slim down plus get his body in the best shape. He turned things around for himself.

Luka's problem is something else, but he's certainly young enough that he could be a late bloomer somewhere else. It will require him turning things around effort-wise kind of like Danny Green did after getting cut from CLE and the Spurs. Samanic is going to have to claw his way back in.

I agree 100% with the above post and I would also like to add that besides effort, Samanic needs to understand and embrace the role a coach gives him if given another shot in the NBA.

I feel the biggest thing that hinders players on the cusp of making and earning actual NBA minutes is embracing roles. Most (if not all) of these players trying out for positions were the main go to guy on their (and an even lesser degree high school) college or foreign pro team, so they are used to getting volume shooting or ball handling opportunities. In the NBA (or best foreign leagues) only a few guys worldwide get that opportunity

its a tough change for some

The Truth #6
11-25-2021, 10:24 AM
The Luka Debacle is a shared one. Equal parts Spurs for poor drafting and poor development, and equal parts of Luka being a difficult personality.

He likely had mental health issues. He was young. Barely fit in here. Tough situation.

But he did better over time developing his body and becoming part of the team.

Pop tried to develop him like a role player and that approach needs to change.

Beyond all that, I’m amused by the attitude some posters crapping on him now. Before it was “he needs three years, he’s a three year project!!”, now it’s all completely his fault. Again, to me, it’s a shared disaster.

Maddog
11-25-2021, 10:25 AM
He did put work into his body, and his defense was better over time, a lot better.

I do think this showw one of the times that the line between being out of the league and career earnings over $50 million can come down to if a team can look past what happened with the previous team and coach a player up.

What if he never had his hand broken and gets in 42 minutes of court time the last 2 regular season games last year instead of KBD? Was that the difference in him ending on a good note?

Look at Ian:

Pop by year 3 was completely out on him and was not interested in succeeding with him. Whether it was the ridiculous road game at Toronto where Pop had a sprained ankle Tim Duncan come off the bench in the second quarter after not playing in the first at all to keep Ian away from minutes, or how he fumed at the mistakes but gave no credit when he did play ... That was it. 4th year option declined, nobody wanted to trade for him.

And if a guy couldn't play for the great Greg Popovich, after being a first rounder, he must suck, right?

Ian was lucky in getting what I think was a two year minimum which might not even have been guaranteed. Better off than Samanic, but at least Ian had the shine of not finding a role on a good team. And supposedly a deciding factor in even signing Ian was him being good with Beaubois who the Mavs were still in love with at the time.

And Ian got lucky again in that in his brief moment in the spotlight in the 2011 finals, he was able to shine. If he had been picked up by a lesser team, that opportunity never comes, and then maybe the future money never does either.

From the 2 years minimum in Dallas he goes on to a 4/16 then the 4/64. $80 million in money that never happens if the Mavs don't ask, "What if Pop is wrong?"

So maybe Samanic never clicks and goes back to Europe. He does have a hard road with a team that has established players in his way and a coach who has a history of not playing guys until forced to by circumstances, who never played Butler until everyone was hurt, who couldn't imagine getting Korver minutes and starts at the expanse of Keith Bogans or Ronnie Brewer.

But I see the footage of him now and he just looks happier on the court. Poorer but more free. A happy player is an invested player, and if he's invested maybe he can improve his skills.

Because despite his great stats in 3 games and looking good and happy, he still can't shoot threes (30.8%) or stop turning the ball over (5.0 per 36)

But I still think he would have been more fun to watch than KBD tonight. Lost game no matter what but at least a couple of highlights for this trash team that few fans engage with any more.
Shine in 2011 finals,
Appeared in 3 games, 27 minutes, 9 points5 rebounds and 13 fould

JeffDuncan
11-25-2021, 11:19 AM

Need more fuel to stoke your conspiracy theory fire?

LMA’s last game for the Spurs was against - wait for it - the Nets. 03/01/2021. He played only 15 minutes, had 2pts and 4 rebs, coming off the bench.

LMA’s first game for the Nets was exactly one month later. 04/01. He played 29:30, had 11 pts and 9 rebs. Starting!

Play against a team, coming off the bench… exactly one month later, playing for them, starting.

Conspiracy or coincidence? You decide. Lol

(BTW, this was before the flare up of LMA’s heart condition. He has Wolff–Parkinson–White syndrome, which was diagnosed in 2007, after he had to be taken to the hospital during the 1st quarter of a Blazers game against the Clippers. He has had surgery for the heart condition at least once. His temporary retirement was on 4/15. It looks like the Nets’ medical people were not fully prepared to handle LMA’s heart condition, at that time.)

In a thread about Samanic, and speaking of health, I thought he never looked very healthy. People speak of laziness and motivation, but does he have an NBA “motor”? I wonder.

KingKev
11-25-2021, 05:44 PM
Need more fuel to stoke your conspiracy theory fire?

LMA’s last game for the Spurs was against - wait for it - the Nets. 03/01/2021. He played only 15 minutes, had 2pts and 4 rebs, coming off the bench.

LMA’s first game for the Nets was exactly one month later. 04/01. He played 29:30, had 11 pts and 9 rebs. Starting!

Play against a team, coming off the bench… exactly one month later, playing for them, starting.

Conspiracy or coincidence? You decide. Lol

(BTW, this was before the flare up of LMA’s heart condition. He has Wolff–Parkinson–White syndrome, which was diagnosed in 2007, after he had to be taken to the hospital during the 1st quarter of a Blazers game against the Clippers. He has had surgery for the heart condition at least once. His temporary retirement was on 4/15. It looks like the Nets’ medical people were not fully prepared to handle LMA’s heart condition, at that time.)

In a thread about Samanic, and speaking of health, I thought he never looked very healthy. People speak of laziness and motivation, but does he have an NBA “motor”? I wonder.

Additionally, Coach Pop sits on the left side of the aisle. The New Jersey Nets actually play in a borough of NYC called Brooklyn which is located in New York which is, you guessed it, traditionally a blue state! Furthermore both Patty Mills and Luka Samanic now reside in New York. Coincidence?

objective
11-25-2021, 06:19 PM
Shine in 2011 finals,
Appeared in 3 games, 27 minutes, 9 points5 rebounds and 13 fould

Yes, shine. He had a key basket I think at the end of the third in the final game against Miami, in a high pressure situation with the basketball world watching closely.

This player who couldn't play for Pop was turned to in a clinching finals game and did his role for that brief moment. It probably got him his next deal a year later.

High profile games with role players who do their job result in guys getting deals, even after another season and despite injuries.

Carl Herrera was signed by Pop to a 3 year deal that adjusted for cap inflation was close to the 4/16 Ian ended up getting. Both were over a season past their finals play except Herrera had a wrecked shoulder.

Someone now would look back at Herrera on Basketball Reference against the Knicks and say, "So what, he plays like 17 minutes a game off the bench and gets 11 points or so a couple of times?"

But the people who actually watched the games saw him play his role and remembered, he even had some hype before the injuries due to that performance.

Pop wasn't giving him 3 years guaranteed to be nice. And you better believe when he was signed the Spurs and the media made a big deal about past finals performances.

JeffDuncan
11-25-2021, 07:27 PM
Additionally, Coach Pop sits on the left side of the aisle. The New Jersey Nets actually play in a borough of NYC called Brooklyn which is located in New York which is, you guessed it, traditionally a blue state! Furthermore both Patty Mills and Luka Samanic now reside in New York. Coincidence?

Oh, great points! Curioser and curioser. And that’s without even taking Sean Marks into account, and that Pop was once recruited by the CIA. This calls for further investigation!

talkspurs
11-25-2021, 07:56 PM
Give up a player? NO ONE WOULD SIGN HIM TO A MINIMUM NBA CONTRACT! You need to stop this fantasy that there was a trade to be had for him. Teams didn’t want him for as close to free as you can get in the NBA.

Wow I see you cant read. never did I say a team was going to trade for him as what he currently was. I didnt even say that if he got good that he would get a second rd. I only said that a player could be traded if a team wanted him or someone else that did not get option picked up. 2nd rounders are not worth much. He has played well in the Gleague. He would be more of a position of need then other players. we also have several players that are not playing well also.

People get down and give up on plays. He also had some really good plays. He has one of the better overall stats in the Gleague. some of this may have transferred some may not have,

If I remember right you were one constantly pumping lonnie and you still talk about how bad DJ is. Most other people can see that DJ is better and has much more of a future. I think you might still be mad about this,

KingKev
11-25-2021, 08:23 PM
Oh, great points! Curioser and curioser. And that’s without even taking Sean Marks into account, and that Pop was once recruited by the CIA. This calls for further investigation!

haha Sean Marks is a pretty good GM!! We need an infusion of up and coming front office talent. Maybe if Pop wasn’t the highest paid coach in the league these last few years we could have retained all the ppl he helped become so good.

buttsR4rebounding
11-25-2021, 08:50 PM
Of course no team gave him a contract. They didn’t watch the painful mismanagement of his development. A team in desperate need of a 4 (KJ is not a 4) signs Bryn Forbes and a 5 th center. PATFO are clueless when it comes to roster construction.

exstatic
11-25-2021, 10:50 PM
Wow I see you cant read. never did I say a team was going to trade for him as what he currently was. I didnt even say that if he got good that he would get a second rd. I only said that a player could be traded if a team wanted him or someone else that did not get option picked up. 2nd rounders are not worth much. He has played well in the Gleague. He would be more of a position of need then other players. we also have several players that are not playing well also.

People get down and give up on plays. He also had some really good plays. He has one of the better overall stats in the Gleague. some of this may have transferred some may not have,

If I remember right you were one constantly pumping lonnie and you still talk about how bad DJ is. Most other people can see that DJ is better and has much more of a future. I think you might still be mad about this,

Lonnie had a higher ceiling, but will never reach it. I’m pretty sure he’s gone next summer.

DJ isn’t bad, just inefficient. He doesn’t take or make enough 3s, and he doesn’t get to the line enough. He’s a good player, but will never be a great one, and is more suited to playing off the ball.

talkspurs
11-26-2021, 01:45 PM
Lonnie had a higher ceiling, but will never reach it. I’m pretty sure he’s gone next summer.

DJ isn’t bad, just inefficient. He doesn’t take or make enough 3s, and he doesn’t get to the line enough. He’s a good player, but will never be a great one, and is more suited to playing off the ball.

Higher ceiling is an independent person. I dont know who you saying he has a higher ceiling than but I would say it is lower then DJ and Luka. Luka if he get the PT and developes has a pretty high ceiling. He also plays at one of the most important positions currently.

DJ is not as unefficient as you think. He can improve in a few areas mainly getting fouls would be his biggest. he si getting better at his 3s. his attempts are increasing. He has some good games and some bad ones (for 3s). You also have to remember he is still a young player. (although getting towards the end of it) He is growing every year. Ja (a lot of others favorite on here) is not really any more efficient then DJ. he gets more FT but his 3 is not much better and this is his best year. It takes time for players to grow.

exstatic
11-26-2021, 04:09 PM
Higher ceiling is an independent person. I dont know who you saying he has a higher ceiling than but I would say it is lower then DJ and Luka. Luka if he get the PT and developes has a pretty high ceiling. He also plays at one of the most important positions currently.

DJ is not as unefficient as you think. He can improve in a few areas mainly getting fouls would be his biggest. he si getting better at his 3s. his attempts are increasing. He has some good games and some bad ones (for 3s). You also have to remember he is still a young player. (although getting towards the end of it) He is growing every year. Ja (a lot of others favorite on here) is not really any more efficient then DJ. he gets more FT but his 3 is not much better and this is his best year. It takes time for players to grow.

Ceiling isn’t where you are. It’s the best possible outcome. Lonnie’s was off the charts, with a ready made 3 pointer, and oozing athleticism. Like I said, he didn’t come close to hitting it, maybe 25-30%. DJ is probably sitting on 95% of his ceiling. He’s finally learned basic pick and roll distribution, but has only average court vision, often missing open shooters around the arc on a team that desperately needs 3 pointers. He’ll also likely not improve his shooting from beyond the arc. He decent from the corners in a catch and shoot, less so from above the break, and abysmal off the bounce.

exstatic
11-26-2021, 04:12 PM

It’s also not about what I think. DJs inefficiency is right there in black and white on the Advanced section of his bbref page. Things like eFG% or TS%. They don’t lie, and they’re not an opinion.

talkspurs
11-26-2021, 04:35 PM
Ceiling isn’t where you are. It’s the best possible outcome. Lonnie’s was off the charts, with a ready made 3 pointer, and oozing athleticism. Like I said, he didn’t come close to hitting it, maybe 25-30%. DJ is probably sitting on 95% of his ceiling. He’s finally learned basic pick and roll distribution, but has only average court vision, often missing open shooters around the arc on a team that desperately needs 3 pointers. He’ll also likely not improve his shooting from beyond the arc. He decent from the corners in a catch and shoot, less so from above the break, and abysmal off the bounce.

I know what ceiling is but it is also subjective. each person can have a different ceiling of someone. So you may think he had a super high ceiling but others dont. If I thought it was clearly off of current play then I would not have put Luka in there.

talkspurs
11-26-2021, 04:37 PM
It’s also not about what I think. DJs inefficiency is right there in black and white on the Advanced section of his bbref page. Things like eFG% or TS%. They don’t lie, and they’re not an opinion.

wow I can tell you dont know how to read. If you are comparing him to players at the same age and position he is not bad. If you compare him to vets then yes he is not good. thing is most of those vets were not where they are now when they had his experience.

exstatic
11-26-2021, 08:36 PM
wow I can tell you dont know how to read. If you are comparing him to players at the same age and position he is not bad. If you compare him to vets then yes he is not good. thing is most of those vets were not where they are now when they had his experience.

TS% and eFG% don’t care how long you’ve been in the league. I also never brought up comparing him to veteran players in that post.

For example, his numbers are lower than Vassells, and Devin hasn’t even played a full seasons worth of games.

DJ TS% .494 eFG% .480

DV TS%. .579 eFG% .565

XDT76
11-26-2021, 09:50 PM
TS% and eFG% don’t care how long you’ve been in the league. I also never brought up comparing him to veteran players in that post.

For example, his numbers are lower than Vassells, and Devin hasn’t even played a full seasons worth of games.

DJ TS% .494 eFG% .480

DV TS%. .579 eFG% .565

We should trade Murray and let Forbes be our primary focus since he is much more efficient than Murray.

RC_Drunkford
11-27-2021, 10:43 AM

DJ TS% .494 eFG% .480

DV TS%. .579 eFG% .565

thats just such a dumb comparison considering Vassell mainly shoots wide open catch and shoot jumpers while Murray tries to score out of the pick & roll. Not to mention Vassell playing mostly against bench units while Murray plays against starters

Dejounte
11-27-2021, 11:02 AM
Here’s the problem with fans who use stats: they go all-in when it comes to using stats because they often use it without context. No in-between. No thinking skills used to form good judgment. Durrr If a number is higher = good. Durrr If a number is lower = bad. It’s why NBA stat geeks get scrutinized. Not all of them should, but the amateur ones who use it poorly are the reason why even the legitimate ones get criticized. It shows their lack of understanding of the game. No, I’m not saying stats are irrelevant. But they’re often misused by folks with an agenda. Folks who don’t like to look at the big picture. It’s sad and alarming.

Dejounte
11-27-2021, 11:11 AM
And this is coming from a guy who agrees with what advanced metrics had to say about Poeltl. Folks are coming around now to his contributions to the team because the counting stats are catching up. Those three men in the Ahmaud Arbery trial were not found guilty because of one piece of evidence, but multiple. Reasoning skills need to come into play when interpreting stats.

buttsR4rebounding
11-28-2021, 05:57 AM
Luka with 29, 9 and 3 last night on 12-19 shooting.

tbdog
11-28-2021, 06:25 AM
Luka with 29, 9 and 3 last night on 12-19 shooting.

For d league?

slick'81
11-28-2021, 07:22 AM
For d league?

didnt you hear? hes the new starter in NY?!

KobesAchilles
11-28-2021, 10:26 AM
And this is coming from a guy who agrees with what advanced metrics had to say about Poeltl. Folks are coming around now to his contributions to the team because the counting stats are catching up. Those three men in the Ahmaud Arbery trial were not found guilty because of one piece of evidence, but multiple. Reasoning skills need to come into play when interpreting stats.
He still clogs the driving lanes and is a total non-entity for the defense to worry about. They don’t even try to guard him when he gets the ball 10 feet from the basket and just double the person he does his little hand off to. He also doesn’t run towards the rim or get in peoples way during fast breaks. Like if the dude would just hustle more and get in people’s way in the break then our guys could have more easy opportunities. For all the good Poeltl does he just isn’t a starting center on a good team in today’s NBA (save for the Nets)

emanueldavidginobili
11-28-2021, 10:28 AM

Fusternino
11-28-2021, 10:29 AM
Ok? And he posted a -18 and they lost by 25 to Maine??? Not winning basketball . . . still would take him over Forbes, though.

talkspurs
11-28-2021, 11:44 AM
Ok? And he posted a -18 and they lost by 25 to Maine??? Not winning basketball . . . still would take him over Forbes, though.

They could be a bad team. You can have good (for league standards) players on bad teams. PLus minus stats can be very misleading. as a bad player on a good team could verry easily have a better +- stat then a good player on a bad team.

exstatic
11-28-2021, 11:52 AM
Gleague mirage.

BackHome
11-28-2021, 12:54 PM
I would be Very Happy if Primo had numbers close to his - Yeah I understand that it’s his 3rd year and Primo is just so young but still if you don’t dominate G League usually means you don’t belong in NBA

JeffDuncan
11-28-2021, 01:14 PM

It almost sounds like he might be getting better coaching…

exstatic
11-28-2021, 01:14 PM
I would be Very Happy if Primo had numbers close to his - Yeah I understand that it’s his 3rd year and Primo is just so young but still if you don’t dominate G League usually means you don’t belong in NBA

You touch on the 2 year experience edge, and then completely discount it. You shouldn’t. Primo will be fine, he’s just not ready yet. He’s basically a year younger than Sammich was when he got here, and just as inexperienced. The difference is between the ears. Next year, Primo will be in the rotation. The year after, he’ll be a starter.

MultiTroll
11-28-2021, 02:11 PM
Stats to back this up?

Spursfanfromafar
11-29-2021, 02:35 AM

More fire in the belly after the cut, yes. But a cut that shouldnt have happened on the basis of talent. If anyone should have been cut, it was Bryn Forbes. :(

duncan2k5
11-29-2021, 10:55 AM
The camels back didn’t break from the last straw alone. Video of his early first year in Austin shows the same shit. Exasperation at a missed shot or a no call delaying his transition back on D, which never got above a slow trot, hanging his teammates out to dry, 4 on 5. His laziness isn’t a new development or a one time thing.

Sounds like DeRozan and Forbes

The Truth #6
11-29-2021, 11:18 AM
Gleague mirage.

Yeah, but you have suggested we are tanking this year, so who cares if the production is a mirage? Also, he never more than one Bubble game got minutes. He very well could carve out an NBA role.

exstatic
11-29-2021, 11:31 AM
Yeah, but you have suggested we are tanking this year, so who cares if the production is a mirage? Also, he never more than one Bubble game got minutes. He very well could carve out an NBA role.

The thing is, we’re STEALTH tanking. If you give minutes to a player who never runs back on D, you blow the cover. All of our guys try hard and give effort.

NY is treading water, just above .500. Why aren’t they calling him up? Are they mean? Are they mismanaging the situation?

The Truth #6
11-29-2021, 11:38 AM
The thing is, we’re STEALTH tanking. If you give minutes to a player who never runs back on D, you blow the cover. All of our guys try hard and give effort.

NY is treading water, just above .500. Why aren’t they calling him up? Are they mean? Are they mismanaging the situation?

NY barely knows him. We already invested two years in him. Huge difference.

As for STEALTH tanking, that seems awkward to imply and impossible to prove. But I admit, the team is likely trying to find some sort of non-commital middle ground like usual.

As for Luka playing, his lack of D seems like a weak criteria for him not to play even for a team in “stealth” mode as you suggest.

exstatic
11-29-2021, 11:46 AM
NY barely knows him. We already invested two years in him. Huge difference.

As for STEALTH tanking, that seems awkward to imply and impossible to prove. But I admit, the team is likely trying to find some sort of non-commital middle ground like usual.

As for Luka playing, his lack of D seems like a weak criteria for him not to play even for a team in “stealth” mode as you suggest.

Defense, other than not getting back in transition, is not his weakness. His offense is jacked. He can’t shoot the 3 or handle the ball as well as he thinks he can.

If he can’t shoot the 3 ball in the NBA at least at a 33-34% rate, he won’t have an NBA career. The modern game requires it.

He just has enough holes in his game to not tolerate shit effort.

TimDunkem
11-29-2021, 12:04 PM
Malik Hairston tore up the G-League too. He also wasn't an asshole.

Mr. Body
11-29-2021, 09:06 PM
Samanic did this before. Wait until he has to hustle, play defense and be accountable.

Leetonidas
11-29-2021, 09:19 PM
Let me know when he does anything close to that in an actual NBA game

Uriel
11-29-2021, 11:07 PM
Don't understand all the hate for Samanic in this thread. The guy is balling and he's on our payroll.

MI21
11-30-2021, 02:12 AM

All this G-League dominance is sure to translate to the NBA, this is what I've been told to justify Primo being in the G League. The Knicks got a steal!

slick'81
11-30-2021, 05:42 AM
All this G-League dominance is sure to translate to the NBA, this is what I've been told to justify Primo being in the G League. The Knicks got a steal!

this proves the benefits of g league for guys who are clearly not ready

exstatic
11-30-2021, 07:45 AM

I don’t think anyone said that, in fact the opposite was said regarding players like Kyle Anderson, who owned the gleague. What was said regarding Primo was that it was a place to learn without the fate of the franchise being on his shoulders every minute. The Spurs view it like baseball’s instructional league.

buttsR4rebounding
11-30-2021, 08:57 AM
Bottom line. The Spurs should not have signed Forbes. More Pau Gasol thinking. His salary this year is roughly what Samanic's would be next year, so they wouldn't have been out any net cash. Play him in the rotation for 20 games and see what you have. There is no denying he had a positive impact in a number of games where he was given meaningful minutes. Looking for players that are "over themselves" is fine when you are filling in around 50, 21, 20 and 9; but not when you are 100 times more likely to secure the #1 pick than the LOB trophy. All of these NBA draft picks have been told they are special for the past ten years or more. Some like Vassel were fortunate to have parents that gave them a great foundation. Obviously, Luka had a much different set of inputs. The Spurs drafted him know he wasn't likely to "get over himself" like their other draft choices who had a better foundation. To cut him loose before giving him meaningful regular minutes for at least 20 games is a clear signal that Pop's ego is more important than the team. Forbes signing. Luka probably doesn't end up panning out anyway, but to not have it in the plan to give him that run before any final decision is made is unconscionable. If Luka could hit the 3 he is the perfect fit along side KJ. How can you not see what that looks like? Of course, another benefit of not signing Forbes is that Primo and Vassel likely see more minutes. It is clear that Popovich is incapable of being a positive influence on the team moving forward. He needs to get his all-time record wins and retire before the Spurs can return to respectability much less competing for number 6.

exstatic
11-30-2021, 10:09 AM
Bottom line. The Spurs should not have signed Forbes. More Pau Gasol thinking. His salary this year is roughly what Samanic's would be next year, so they wouldn't have been out any net cash. Play him in the rotation for 20 games and see what you have. There is no denying he had a positive impact in a number of games where he was given meaningful minutes. Looking for players that are "over themselves" is fine when you are filling in around 50, 21, 20 and 9; but not when you are 100 times more likely to secure the #1 pick than the LOB trophy. All of these NBA draft picks have been told they are special for the past ten years or more. Some like Vassel were fortunate to have parents that gave them a great foundation. Obviously, Luka had a much different set of inputs. The Spurs drafted him know he wasn't likely to "get over himself" like their other draft choices who had a better foundation. To cut him loose before giving him meaningful regular minutes for at least 20 games is a clear signal that Pop's ego is more important than the team. Forbes signing. Luka probably doesn't end up panning out anyway, but to not have it in the plan to give him that run before any final decision is made is unconscionable. If Luka could hit the 3 he is the perfect fit along side KJ. How can you not see what that looks like? Of course, another benefit of not signing Forbes is that Primo and Vassel likely see more minutes. It is clear that Popovich is incapable of being a positive influence on the team moving forward. He needs to get his all-time record wins and retire before the Spurs can return to respectability much less competing for number 6.

Bottom line: Forbes didn’t push Samanic off the roster, KBD did.

Make up your mind. Is Forbes blocking Samanic, or is he blocking Primo, Vassell, and Samanic. There’s only like 12 minutes there.

Kurgan
11-30-2021, 10:16 AM

Spurs coaching staff is near the bottom half of the league for sure. All of Pop's assistants are spineless yes men with little actual experience coaching a team themselves. The Spurs stopped being a playoff team when all the good assistants like Udoka and Messina jumped ship. And our training staff probably still thinks the midranger is the best shot in basketball based on the inability of all our youngsters to shoot from beyond the arc(ranking last in 3s years after year)

Spurs Homer
11-30-2021, 11:40 AM

agree with a lot of this…

it isnt rocket science…

i would have started the season with

primo
murray
vassell
samanic
purtle

done.

give them the entire first half of the season to let them fuck up and stumble a bit and then let the PLAYERS do what players do

play fucking basketball just the way they played their entire lives and just the way they became top 20 picks

the tools are plainly there

just get the fuck out of the way and let them play play play

then at the ASB - pop could have re-evaluated who rose to their potential without being pulled and benched for little mistakes-

and who flopped

then you can have a talk with RC about which players he is pegging with their valuable draft picks

not rocket science

The Truth #6
11-30-2021, 11:43 AM

Solid points.

buttsR4rebounding
11-30-2021, 03:41 PM
Bottom line: Forbes didn’t push Samanic off the roster, KBD did.

Make up your mind. Is Forbes blocking Samanic, or is he blocking Primo, Vassell, and Samanic. There’s only like 12 minutes there.

I am saying the only reason to jettison Samanic now is so you don't have to pay next year. If they decided to cut losses to save next year's salary, then in that sense only is Forbes blocking Samanic. Keeping both KBD and Samanic seems like the most reasonable course of action in a position of real need. KJ faded the 2nd half after expending so much effort constantly guarding guys bigger than him. If you don't sign Forbes or a 5th center you can easily do that. If you actually see the primary point is that it is incredibly bad management to have never given him a role for at least a 20 game stretch to see what he can do. I thought it should have been last year, but to never do it because he's not over himself is horrendous management that is being driven by Pop's ego. That's the point.

exstatic
11-30-2021, 04:00 PM
I am saying the only reason to jettison Samanic now is so you don't have to pay next year. If they decided to cut losses to save next year's salary, then in that sense only is Forbes blocking Samanic. Keeping both KBD and Samanic seems like the most reasonable course of action in a position of real need. KJ faded the 2nd half after expending so much effort constantly guarding guys bigger than him. If you don't sign Forbes or a 5th center you can easily do that. If you actually see the primary point is that it is incredibly bad management to have never given him a role for at least a 20 game stretch to see what he can do. I thought it should have been last year, but to never do it because he's not over himself is horrendous management that is being driven by Pop's ego. That's the point.

You’re fixated on this money thing. Bryn Forbes makes $4.5M and is playing for the Spurs. Hutchinson is making $4M, minus minimum, from SA and is playing for the Suns. Aminu is making $10M from SA, and not playing for anyone.

They didn’t cut him to save $4M next year. They’ve shown they will carry short term dead money. They cut him because he’s a lazy ass who doesn’t hustle or give a lot of effort.

Here’s the pattern: Hutchison wasn’t in their plans, Aminu wasn’t in their plans, and Sammich wasn’t in their plans. That’s it, in a nutshell.

buttsR4rebounding
11-30-2021, 04:47 PM
You’re fixated on this money thing. Bryn Forbes makes $4.5M and is playing for the Spurs. Hutchinson is making $4M, minus minimum, from SA and is playing for the Suns. Aminu is making $10M from SA, and not playing for anyone.

They didn’t cut him to save $4M next year. They’ve shown they will carry short term dead money. They cut him because he’s a lazy ass who doesn’t hustle or give a lot of effort.

Here’s the pattern: Hutchison wasn’t in their plans, Aminu wasn’t in their plans, and Sammich wasn’t in their plans. That’s it, in a nutshell.

I'm not fixated on the money. I'm saying the only reason not to keep him this year is to save his salary for next year. I am fixated on the fact that they never put him in the line up for 20 games and let him show what he can do. That especially with the unusual 2 years we have had, to not have a plan to do that as part of the decision making process is unfathomable. C'mon Exstatic. I know you are not that obtuse.

KobesAchilles
11-30-2021, 04:53 PM
Spurs coaching staff is near the bottom half of the league for sure. All of Pop's assistants are spineless yes men with little actual experience coaching a team themselves. The Spurs stopped being a playoff team when all the good assistants like Udoka and Messina jumped ship. And our training staff probably still thinks the midranger is the best shot in basketball based on the inability of all our youngsters to shoot from beyond the arc(ranking last in 3s years after year)
Spurs are on the bottom in every single part of the organization

GM- we don't know tbh but is looking middling at best
Ownership- spoiled kids get their parents sports franchise. This has always worked out well
Coaching- Pop is now a bottom tier coach. At his best he might've been the best but currently he is a sad shell of himself. Happens to all the greats and there's no shame in it. Even Landy sucked his final few years as the Cowboys coach
Players- zero all stars. One player who might be a second tier star and a buncha role players and players who shouldn't be on the team
Assistant coaches: besides Becky, who we have no idea if she's actually any good, does anybody really do their job well. Even Chip sucks. Can't blame this on anything else besides getting poached

exstatic
11-30-2021, 05:31 PM
I'm not fixated on the money. I'm saying the only reason not to keep him this year is to save his salary for next year. I am fixated on the fact that they never put him in the line up for 20 games and let him show what he can do. That especially with the unusual 2 years we have had, to not have a plan to do that as part of the decision making process is unfathomable. C'mon Exstatic. I know you are not that obtuse.

That’s NOT the only reason, that’s YOUR take on what the reason was. He’s a lazy ass with attitude problems. That’s been the case since he was a teen in Europe. Spurs thought he might grow up. He didn’t. The end.

Chinook
11-30-2021, 06:54 PM
Who cares if Samanic pans out?

Has anyone considered that it doesn't matter if the Spurs while they're tanking miss out on a potential rotational PF? Does that prevent them from tanking? Does it make them contenders? No to both. I feel like I might've said this in a different thread a couple of days ago, but there's basically no opportunity cost for cutting or retaining most of the roster. The Spurs aren't in a position where a cheap slightly above average rotation player matters to their trajectory. Just as guys don't become stars by playing g-league minutes, guys tend not to become stars after schlepping around as the 15th man for years.

I think we can critique the Spurs' FO for once again seeming to once again make a roster move without the coordination from the coaching staff to utilize the acquisition. That's doodoo. It's not a good thing at all for the Spurs to spend a 19th pick on a guy and then cut him two years later. But as far as Samanic himself? Nope doesn't matter. Sam can become a solid rotation player ala James Johnson or even a very good starter like Khris Middleton, and it wouldn't matter in the slightest that the Spurs didn't keep him way back when. This is the modern NBA. You draft a guy for four years, not for 10. Eventually developing into a guy worth a rotation spot is almost meaningless if it takes longer than a rookie contract to do.

KingKev
11-30-2021, 07:19 PM
This is the modern NBA. You draft a guy for four years, not for 10. Eventually developing into a guy worth a rotation spot is almost meaningless if it takes longer than a rookie contract to do.

I sort of like this view. Walker, in many ways fits nicely in that camp also. Hopefully Primo is more like Vassell than Walker/Luka.

I never much cared for Luka but another thing to consider is some ppl need to fail to become better or get their act together and the environment can play a big part in that. He’s not the first and won’t be the last to potentially go on to a decent career after Pop has decided he wasn’t a fit. There is a big reason many NBA players probably really respect Pop but wouldn't consider playing for him.

Maddog
11-30-2021, 07:34 PM
He got great coaching. He was cut.
Made him realize his career is on the line

Cabrito
11-30-2021, 08:30 PM
The problem isn’t that the Spurs drafted and cut Luka. Making a bad pick happens every year in the NBA for much higher picks at that. The problem is they have no plan B. For example, If one of our guards doesn’t pan out, such as Lonnie, we still have Vassel and Primo to develop. Luka doesn’t pan out and what stretch four that is agile enough to defend the pick and roll do we have? Keldon and McBuckets are not big enough to be power forward types. I like KBD but he is a journeyman and is likely no better than a role player. Who are they developing in that position? We haven’t had options in years and the Spurs continue to ignore it.

We keep getting killed on the boards with no real power forward, although for some reason it seems like we are rebounding better with KBD in the starting lineup, even tho he does not get many rebounds himself. It could be circumstance or I could be completely off with that statement. I haven’t verified.

Dejounte
11-30-2021, 08:40 PM
The problem isn’t that the Spurs drafted and cut Luka. Making a bad pick happens every year in the NBA for much higher picks at that. The problem is they have no plan B. For example, If one of our guards doesn’t pan out, such as Lonnie, we still have Vassel and Primo to develop. Luka doesn’t pan out and what stretch four that is agile enough to defend the pick and roll do we have? Keldon and McBuckets are not big enough to be power forward types. I like KBD but he is a journeyman and is likely no better than a role player. Who are they developing in that position? We haven’t had options in years and the Spurs continue to ignore it.

We keep getting killed on the boards with no real power forward, although for some reason it seems like we are rebounding better with KBD in the starting lineup, even tho he does not get many rebounds himself. It could be circumstance or I could be completely off with that statement. I haven’t verified.

Maybe he boxes out better than anyone else. I know Keldon does a shit job boxing out.

Chinook
11-30-2021, 09:36 PM

The Spurs do rebound significantly better with KBD in the game, according to on-offs. https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bateske01/on-off/2022

My guess is that's because KBD always plays as a forward, which means his 6-8 long-armed frame is never the biggest on the Spurs' side. Johnson's much smaller standing reach is usually the PF when he plays -- unless he plays with KBD, so he doesn't rebound as well against other PFs. You can scroll down to see here: http://www.82games.com/2122/21SAS7.HTM -- that Johnson is a positive rebounding when listed as "SF", though it's dubious as to how 82games makes that distinction.

It should be noted that Keldon is a great impact-rebounder, increasing the Spurs' total rebound percentage by plus 10.2. https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnske04/on-off/2022

However, when paired with KBD, that increase jumps to 18.3, which is pretty absurd. https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bateske01/lineups/2022

KBD is playing well. He's limited, and the lack of impact players at other positions means his more subtle effect on the team doesn't lead to the obvious results compared with someone like Danny Green on the M3 Spurs. By no means did Luka do anything to deserve to keep his spot over Keita. You can argue Pop should've realized who Young was and not had five centers on the 15-man roster. But I'm not sure Sam deserved to keep his spot over AFA anyway. I don't actually think he was that close to being in the rotation.

Anyways, the team should definitely draft a PF in this upcoming draft. It's just the position that would see the most immediate return. They also should have looked into signing someone besides a sixth center as their 17th man this summer. But Luka failed on his own merits, and they shouldn't've kept him just because they didn't have another prospect. They simply didn't have the roster spots to carry two dead spots on the team.

talkspurs
11-30-2021, 10:59 PM

This and we still never got to see what he could do. He should have started and KJ should be at the 3. KJ is not a 4. He may be able to play them in spot min but not as much as he is. There were many different players the spurs could have gotten rid of/ not signed and kept Luka. By us not playing a proper lineup this can also hurt other players as they are having to compensate for it. Yes if Luka is bad this would hapen as well but you would atleast get to see what he has.

XDT76
12-01-2021, 03:34 AM
The Spurs do rebound significantly better with KBD in the game, according to on-offs. https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bateske01/on-off/2022

My guess is that's because KBD always plays as a forward, which means his 6-8 long-armed frame is never the biggest on the Spurs' side. Johnson's much smaller standing reach is usually the PF when he plays -- unless he plays with KBD, so he doesn't rebound as well against other PFs. You can scroll down to see here: http://www.82games.com/2122/21SAS7.HTM -- that Johnson is a positive rebounding when listed as "SF", though it's dubious as to how 82games makes that distinction.

It should be noted that Keldon is a great impact-rebounder, increasing the Spurs' total rebound percentage by plus 10.2. https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnske04/on-off/2022

However, when paired with KBD, that increase jumps to 18.3, which is pretty absurd. https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bateske01/lineups/2022

KBD is playing well. He's limited, and the lack of impact players at other positions means his more subtle effect on the team doesn't lead to the obvious results compared with someone like Danny Green on the M3 Spurs. By no means did Luka do anything to deserve to keep his spot over Keita. You can argue Pop should've realized who Young was and not had five centers on the 15-man roster. But I'm not sure Sam deserved to keep his spot over AFA anyway. I don't actually think he was that close to being in the rotation.

Anyways, the team should definitely draft a PF in this upcoming draft. It's just the position that would see the most immediate return. They also should have looked into signing someone besides a sixth center as their 17th man this summer. But Luka failed on his own merits, and they shouldn't've kept him just because they didn't have another prospect. They simply didn't have the roster spots to carry two dead spots on the team.

It seems like KBD is same as Poeltl, better ORB% when they are on but poorer DRB% when they are on. So they are good offensive rebounder and not so good defensive rebounder

D-Robinson 50 fan
12-01-2021, 09:45 AM
Reading these comments about Luka after being cut is funny. Most of these folks didn’t care about this guy when he was on the team but now that he got cut everybody is coming out of the wood work trying to champion his potential. You can’t make shit like this up. LMAO

Luka Samanic is putting up numbers (and turnovers) because the team is letting him be the man. They are also getting their ass kicked in the process. He put up (inefficient) numbers with the Austin Spurs his last season there also.

His biggest issue (it seems) is he still thinks he is better than he truly is. His effort level isn’t as good if he doesn’t get a lot of touches on offense. Not many NBA teams are going to run their whole offense through him and until he realizes that in order for him to stick and actually get minutes in the NBA he will have to excel at a limited role first.

exstatic
12-01-2021, 10:12 AM
ST: I can’t believe the Spurs drafted this complete unknown! He’ll probably be crap!

Also ST: how could they cut him? OMG!

Proxy
12-01-2021, 10:23 AM
if Luka wasn't putting in effort, then what precedence does that set moving forward. Keeping a talent that's lazy isn't good moral. Not like he's Shaq jfc, none of the players seemed to give a shit either

SpurSpike
12-01-2021, 10:32 AM
People are just frustrated because Luka never really got many opportunities to play as a Spur and this year seemed like the best year to give him a real shot.

The Truth #6
12-01-2021, 10:36 AM
Ehh, it’s not just about what fans think and our whims, it’s what the FO and coaching staff are doing, or not doing.

The current approach of developing all players like role players needs to adjust somewhat. I understand not enabling egotistical players, but at some point the coaches have to kick the tires and see what they have. Didn’t happen with Luka, and that’s more poor asset management, especially for a team going nowhere.

The coaches seem to have some rigid flowchart/algorithm for development and it hasn’t worked for Luka, or Walker either, and he isn’t a dick. Walker’s lack of progress is a better way to look at our regression.

dbestpro
12-01-2021, 10:58 AM
Luka is going to be fine. Lots saying he was lazy but no one here was in the gym with him. You don't build the muscle he built by being lazy. He will get his moment because in truth he is too good. It will be one more facepalm regarding Pop and his inability to make good decisions late in life. I do agree not having strong minded assistant coaches really hurts the team.

exstatic
12-01-2021, 11:17 AM
Luka is going to be fine. Lots saying he was lazy but no one here was in the gym with him. You don't build the muscle he built by being lazy. He will get his moment because in truth he is too good. It will be one more facepalm regarding Pop and his inability to make good decisions late in life. I do agree not having strong minded assistant coaches really hurts the team.

Gym work can be done at your time and pace. Defense cannot, at least on the Spurs.

Let be a little more clear: he was a lazy ass ON THE COURT. He didn’t hustle. He didn’t get back on D. He acted like a star, but wasn’t.

The Truth #6
12-01-2021, 12:09 PM
Acted like a star. Maybe. But is there anything particularly grandiose or vain about him that would suggest he was a prima donna. No. He appeared sullen and detached, possibly morose, and probably had mental issues which were never addressed. In addition, Pop’s approach, despite the “woke sloganeering”, didn’t really connect with Luka and whatever issues he is likely dealing with.

It was a shared failure, but dropping it all on Luka is a dodge for the FO and coaching staff.

Maddog
12-01-2021, 12:44 PM
Gym work can be done at your time and pace. Defense cannot, at least on the Spurs.

Let be a little more clear: he was a lazy ass ON THE COURT. He didn’t hustle. He didn’t get back on D. He acted like a star, but wasn’t.

Acted like a star. Maybe. But is there anything particularly grandiose or vain about him that would suggest he was a prima donna. No. He appeared sullen and detached, possibly morose, and probably had mental issues which were never addressed. In addition, Pop’s approach, despite the “woke sloganeering”, didn’t really connect with Luka and whatever issues he is likely dealing with.

It was a shared failure, but dropping it all on Luka is a dodge for the FO and coaching staff.

It might be laziness, but I keep wondering if he's just not an instinctual player- he often looks slow to react/mechanical. You also get the feeling he's playing basketball because he's 6'10" and athletic not that he has a burning desire.

spurraider21
12-01-2021, 04:54 PM
Luka was a bum but I still think he should have been given more playtime. he had a nice stretch midseason last year when we had some guys out. particularly the game against the knicks where he defended really well.

was really baffling to not see him get meaningful burn down the stretch. but i had no issues with them waiving him

Atl Spur
12-02-2021, 08:06 AM
Zach Collins will be better if healthy

Ocotillo
12-02-2021, 10:22 AM
Zach Collins will be better if healthy

Collins lurks. By that I mean, his ability to get healthy and actually crack the rotation will impact a lot of things. Thad is clearly better as the first backup 5 off the bench compared to Eubanks but is being played in bubble wrap either because Pop is in love with Eubanks or more likely, Thad is being held on to in hopes Zollins returns and is then shipped to a contender for picks.

If Zollins ankle snaps again, it will be disappointing but will minimally impact cap space as he and Thad (and Aminu) come off the books at the end of year (unless Collins ankle hangs in there until the rest of this option is picked up).

Why this even gets to be a thread is the 4 is our most glaring weak spot at this time. I was hoping Sandwich would get his head together and make the rotation this year and develop further with the rest of the youngens but it was not meant to be.

For his sake, I hope he gets his head on straight and becomes an NBA player. At this point, I am already in "I hope we get a great power forward in this years draft" stage.

rjv
12-02-2021, 11:26 AM
Luka was a bum but I still think he should have been given more playtime. he had a nice stretch midseason last year when we had some guys out. particularly the game against the knicks where he defended really well.

was really baffling to not see him get meaningful burn down the stretch. but i had no issues with them waiving him

he did have some nice moments in games-such as against the knicks-but then he'd turn right around and crap the floor, as he did against the sixers. that was what was so frustrating about him. of course, lonnie does the same thing but the spurs haven't given up on him. not yet, at least.

KingKev
12-02-2021, 11:40 AM
Collins lurks. By that I mean, his ability to get healthy and actually crack the rotation will impact a lot of things. Thad is clearly better as the first backup 5 off the bench compared to Eubanks but is being played in bubble wrap either because Pop is in love with Eubanks or more likely, Thad is being held on to in hopes Zollins returns and is then shipped to a contender for picks.

If Zollins ankle snaps again, it will be disappointing but will minimally impact cap space as he and Thad (and Aminu) come off the books at the end of year (unless Collins ankle hangs in there until the rest of this option is picked up).

Why this even gets to be a thread is the 4 is our most glaring weak spot at this time. I was hoping Sandwich would get his head together and make the rotation this year and develop further with the rest of the youngens but it was not meant to be.

For his sake, I hope he gets his head on straight and becomes an NBA player. At this point, I am already in "I hope we get a great power forward in this years draft" stage.

Thad will likely be moved regardless of the above. Zollins 22-23 season is partially guaranteed. I’m a tad worried a healthy Zollins
barley gets a shot to play till next year as he is given the “get over yourself” treatment and is forced to watch Eubanks play major backup minutes.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-02-2021, 05:07 PM
Thad will likely be moved regardless of the above. Zollins 22-23 season is partially guaranteed. I’m a tad worried a healthy Zollins
barley gets a shot to play till next year as he is given the “get over yourself” treatment and is forced to watch Eubanks play major backup minutes.

Collins at 85% will still be better than Ewwwbanks. So, I'm hopeful this doesn't happen.

KingKev
12-02-2021, 05:16 PM
Collins at 85% will still be better than Ewwwbanks. So, I'm hopeful this doesn't happen.

Zollins is still young, has an intriguing skill set and could probably even play some minutes along side Jak if his 3ball is stroking. He also might never see the court as a Spur. Complete
wild card at this point but I remain optimistic!

D-Robinson 50 fan
12-06-2021, 03:54 PM
I’m surprised more folks aren’t crying again in here after Samanic had another good game for the G-League Knicks.

Even though it’s a small sample size I am impressed with his 3 point percentage and amount per game so far for him. He isn’t jacking up a ton of 3’s but he has taken and made a good amount per game so far

buttsR4rebounding
12-06-2021, 03:58 PM
I’m surprised more folks aren’t crying again in here after Samanic had another good game for the G-League Knicks.

Even though it’s a small sample size I am impressed with his 3 point percentage and amount per game so far for him. He isn’t jacking up a ton of 3’s but he has taken and made a good amount per game so far

And he is gobbling up rebounds. 16 last game.

The Truth #6
12-06-2021, 04:27 PM
Better thread title would have been: Should We Have Kept Him a Little Longer and Actually Played Him So We Can Actually Know if He Sucks or Not?

exstatic
12-06-2021, 04:42 PM

These points have been brought up before, and were effectively countered with “It’s the gleague “. Kyle Anderson looked like an All Star, and shot like high 30s from 3. That’s why no one brought it up again.

rjv
12-06-2021, 05:42 PM
luka is also a seasoned g-league vet now; he better be putting up those numbers.

td4mvp2k
12-06-2021, 05:52 PM

this franchise thought it was more important to have forbes instead

D-Robinson 50 fan
12-06-2021, 06:37 PM
These points have been brought up before, and were effectively countered with “It’s the gleague “. Kyle Anderson looked like an All Star, and shot like high 30s from 3. That’s why no one brought it up again.

this is his 1st season (still a lot of games left) shooting well in the G league so I don’t understand how anybody could Have made that argument before. Lol.

if he can hit the 3 pointer at this percentage with a few more attempts per game and keep up his decent defense he showed with the Spurs (NBA club) when he got run, then I think he might become a true NBA player.

That’s if he doesn’t pout and quit for not getting touches like he has been in the G League though.

D-Robinson 50 fan
12-06-2021, 06:39 PM
this franchise thought it was more important to have forbes instead

I’m not 100% sure but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say Forbes coming back had nothing to do with Samanic getting cut from the team.

SMH

RC_Drunkford
12-06-2021, 08:40 PM
Samanic was cut to bring KBD in. And KBD ain’t better that Samanic at anything basketball related except that he has a longer wing span

Mr. Body
12-06-2021, 09:20 PM
Samanic was cut to bring KBD in. And KBD ain’t better that Samanic at anything basketball related except that he has a longer wing span

He was cut because he's a churlish asshole with an extremely bad attitude who won't even run the court on defensive assignments.

BackHome
12-06-2021, 10:09 PM
He had a real nice game I got to admit he scored 36pts to go with his 12 rebounds - But it's the way he scored that really impressed me he hit the 3 ball, he beat his man off the dribble to take it to the rim, he had a couple of dunks, and put backs, and scored on the fast break.

CGD
12-06-2021, 10:50 PM
Why is this a thread still? Is dude starting for Knicks or something?

offset formation
12-06-2021, 10:56 PM
All I'm saying is if Luka turns into a serviceable contributor for the Knicks, it effectively set this team back 2 to 3 yrs. Having a potential starter or even quality bench guy at damn near 7'0"capable of playing solid D, running the floor, and maybe shooting efficiently from 3, those guys don't grow on trees. Especially at 22 and at a relatively cheap option year to see if signing him to a longer term deal was worth it.

It's the way things have been done though with PATFO the last 5 yrs or so. Bad choice after bad signing after bad signing after bad choice.

Were it a regular coach and front office, ppl would have lost their jobs over these serious flubs.

Jury is still out in Luka, long term. Short term, you pick up his option everyday, and twice on Sunday.

That one is gonna hurt for years tho, potentially.

emanueldavidginobili
12-06-2021, 11:58 PM

Was never a fan of the pick but he has been dominating the G League right now and is arguably one of the best players if not the best so far and he is younger than the majority of the players in the G League. Doesn't mean it will translate to the NBA but the talent is there and the Spurs could definitely have used him this season and gave him a CONSISTENT role not some oh you can play 15 min and then not play the next 12 games straight. The kid is 21 and we drafted him 19th a couple years ago knowing he's going to be a project, yet they inexplicably released him this early in his development.

BillMc
12-07-2021, 06:08 AM

Was never a fan of the pick but he has been dominating the G League right now and is arguably one of the best players if not the best so far and he is younger than the majority of the players in the G League. Doesn't mean it will translate to the NBA but the talent is there and the Spurs could definitely have used him this season and gave him a CONSISTENT role not some oh you can play 15 min and then not play the next 12 games straight. The kid is 21 and we drafted him 19th a couple years ago knowing he's going to be a project, yet they inexplicably released him this early in his development.

Maybe he's motivated at last. Will be interesting if Knicks call him up.

Ocotillo
12-07-2021, 08:13 AM

Interesting if he was called up for tonight's game against the Spurs. :lol

BillMc
12-07-2021, 09:31 AM
Interesting if he was called up for tonight's game against the Spurs. :lol

Yeah, that's make good theater.

offset formation
12-07-2021, 10:12 AM
Yeah, that's make good theater.

I'd root for him to drop 30 and 15.

offset formation
12-07-2021, 10:16 AM
Jesus, just saw hishighlights from his 36 and 12 game. Dude is on a mission. Flexing after dunks. Taking it to the rim instead of taking an easy 3. Hope he shoves it down the Spurs throats for years to come.

John B
12-07-2021, 11:17 AM
I'd root for him to drop 30 and 15.
Funny if he does that to our bigs. But I doubt Thibs does that to Pop

slick'81
12-07-2021, 11:42 AM
Jesus, just saw hishighlights from his 36 and 12 game. Dude is on a mission. Flexing after dunks. Taking it to the rim instead of taking an easy 3. Hope he shoves it down the Spurs throats for years to come.

nah, we got forbes and kbd:cry

RC_Drunkford
12-07-2021, 05:04 PM
He was cut because he's a churlish asshole with an extremely bad attitude who won't even run the court on defensive assignments.

in preseason :lmao

exstatic
12-07-2021, 06:01 PM

ASI said when they picked him up on a 2Way, not the best situation. He’s buried behind an All Star, and coach Thbs is more of a hard ass than Pop.

D-Robinson 50 fan
12-07-2021, 06:16 PM
Lmao.

MannyIsGod
12-07-2021, 07:40 PM
Zollins is still young, has an intriguing skill set and could probably even play some minutes along side Jak if his 3ball is stroking. He also might never see the court as a Spur. Complete
wild card at this point but I remain optimistic!

In no world will we see a Zach Collins Jakob paring.

MannyIsGod
12-07-2021, 07:43 PM
Crazy how he's tearing up the G League and yet the Knicks haven't rushed him into their starting lineup or even their bench.

talkspurs
12-07-2021, 07:47 PM
Better thread title would have been: Should We Have Kept Him a Little Longer and Actually Played Him So We Can Actually Know if He Sucks or Not?

This is what I dont understand. And before people say Pop got to see him in practice. Did he not see these others play in practice as well? it has been talked about for a couple years about lonnies lapses but people still want to give him one more year to see if he figures it out? Why is not there for Luka? Oh i know because lonnie had ONE great game and now people think he will be that every game if just given the chance.

MannyIsGod
12-07-2021, 07:49 PM
This is what I dont understand. And before people say Pop got to see him in practice. Did he not see these others play in practice as well? it has been talked about for a couple years about lonnies lapses but people still want to give him one more year to see if he figures it out? Why is not there for Luka? Oh i know because lonnie had ONE great game and now people think he will be that every game if just given the chance.

Lonnie has shown far more than Luka ever did. Thats saying something as Lonnie is currently probably the most disappointing player on this roster.

talkspurs
12-07-2021, 07:57 PM
Lonnie has shown far more than Luka ever did. Thats saying something as Lonnie is currently probably the most disappointing player on this roster.

Luka never got the same opportunities that lonnie did. Luka actually did well especially on Defense in the time he got.

Uriel
12-07-2021, 08:01 PM
Cutting Luka was and always will be a mistake, if only because it was totally unnecessary. It’s crazy to me how people are imputing the label “lazy” on his entire character and body of work because of one play.

emanueldavidginobili
12-07-2021, 08:02 PM

Uriel
12-07-2021, 08:03 PM

John B
12-07-2021, 08:09 PM

Lonnie is a great character in and out the court. I really think Luka rubbed Pop the wrong way. I too wish they could’ve kept him the rest of the season. I was rooting for him because I thought he had a high ceiling with his skills. But probably KBD was outhustling him too, so that’s that.

exstatic
12-07-2021, 10:04 PM
Cutting Luka was and always will be a mistake, if only because it was totally unnecessary. It’s crazy to me how people are imputing the label “lazy” on his entire character and body of work because of one play.

It’s crazy that you think it was one play. He was failing to get back from his earliest days in his first season in Austin. It was a repeated pattern of behavior.

exstatic
12-07-2021, 10:18 PM

I’ve been as hard as anyone on Lonnie, but his roster spot this year only costs them his salary this year. There’s no further obligation, which wasn’t the case with Luka. Your choices were cut him, or pick up his year four option before year three, as required by the CBA. Won’t even mention retaining him and NOT picking up the option. While possible, it’s just not feasible for a player who already has attitude and motivation issues.

talkspurs
12-07-2021, 10:33 PM
I’ve been as hard as anyone on Lonnie, but his roster spot this year only costs them his salary this year. There’s no further obligation, which wasn’t the case with Luka. Your choices were cut him, or pick up his year four option before year three, as required by the CBA. Won’t even mention retaining him and NOT picking up the option. While possible, it’s just not feasible for a player who already has attitude and motivation issues.

your excuse about having to take the option is so wrong and you know it. Him not getting it could make him play harder. Lonnie not getting an ext could do make him not want to play here. This is an excuse you came up with that is totally false. Teams dont always take the option. the Spurs have done this as well.

exstatic
12-08-2021, 08:10 AM
your excuse about having to take the option is so wrong and you know it. Him not getting it could make him play harder. Lonnie not getting an ext could do make him not want to play here. This is an excuse you came up with that is totally false. Teams dont always take the option. the Spurs have done this as well.

I could be wrong, but probably not. A #19 overall pick from 2 years ago hit the FA market last summer, and only one team had any interest, and that was a 2Way. In addition to Pop and myself, are those other 28 GMs wrong, too? Are you smarter than them, too? Is the NY FO and coaching staff wrong? I mean, he’s tearing up the gleague, and Wieskamp, one of our 2ways, has spent more time on our roster and on an NBA court than Sammich has is NY, which is zero.

widowmaker
12-08-2021, 09:02 AM

Just like you get dick shoved down your throat for years to cum. Fucking faggit.

exstatic
12-08-2021, 10:01 AM

You need to find a new team if you get excited by gleague post dunk flexes.

exstatic
12-08-2021, 10:14 AM
Funny if he does that to our bigs. But I doubt Thibs does that to Pop

Thibs hasn’t even called him up for one second of time on the roster this year. When he doesn’t want you, he doesn’t want you. I remember when he was in Chicago, they used a #11 pick on a kid who wasn’t a defensive stalwart, and he buried him. Thibs played him 36 games, little less than 9 minutes a game, or about what Sammich played last year. The kid bounced back, though. He had a ready made NBA in demand skill, 3 point shooting. His name was Doug McSomethingorother.

cd98
12-08-2021, 11:33 AM
Would be great to see him play against the Spurs and give up a few layups because he didn't want to hustle back.