PDA

View Full Version : Kevin O'Connor: The Ringer: Ten NBA Players on the Verge of a Breakthrough

Drom John
11-04-2021, 10:17 AM
Ten NBA Players on the Verge of a Breakthrough (https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/11/4/22762718/nba-breakthrough-players-miles-bridges-ja-morant-tyler-herro)

Jakob Poeltl, San Antonio

No one would blame you if you didn’t watch San Antonio in recent years. The legends are gone. The playoff streak is over. The Spurs have built a solid foundation of young players like Dejounte Murray, Keldon Johnson, and Josh Primo, yet their future will likely be shaped by the players they draft in the years to come.

But while they’re waiting, the Spurs have managed to turn Jakob Poeltl into another core contributor. Acquired from Toronto as part of the Kawhi Leonard trade, Poeltl, 26, has gone from a good to great rim protector.

Poeltl doesn’t block many shots, but he deters a bunch of them because he’s always in the right position. Opponents shoot 10 percentage points worse than average when defended by Poeltl within 6 feet of the rim.

On offense, Poeltl is carrying a heavier load than before, logging 36 touches in the frontcourt per game, which leads the team and is up 14 from last season. Poeltl isn’t flashy, but he’s a strong interior finisher and a slick passer. San Antonio trusts him to make the right play, and he usually does. The Spurs may lack a star, but guys like Poeltl (who’ll miss some time because of NBA COVID health and safety protocols) give them a good group of supporting pieces.

rjv
11-04-2021, 11:02 AM
Ten NBA Players on the Verge of a Breakthrough (https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/11/4/22762718/nba-breakthrough-players-miles-bridges-ja-morant-tyler-herro)

pretty spot on, imo. i just hope that primo and dj can be more than just supporting players.

james evans
11-04-2021, 11:08 AM
Sheeeit, Poodle should chill on playing so well lately. That's gonna get him benched and minutes cut. Popovich hates when his players play well..

John B
11-04-2021, 11:51 AM
yet their future will likely be shaped by the players they draft in the years to come. :lol

Tank some more

Allan Rowe vs Wade
11-04-2021, 12:23 PM
No one would blame you if you didn’t watch San Antonio in recent years.

good ol M$M

KobesAchilles
11-04-2021, 01:06 PM
Keep that trade value high

exstatic
11-04-2021, 01:12 PM
pretty spot on, imo. i just hope that primo and dj can be more than just supporting players.

While I love DJs leadership, heart and fire, he’s inefficient, and calls his own number way too often for a PG. if he hasn’t learned that lesson yet, he won’t, and we won’t get better. 42% of his attempts come from 10 ft to the 3 point line. Not good.

I’m really loving what I see from Vassell this year. His ball handling, penetration, shot selection, and decision making are all really improved. The only nit I’d pick would be for him to finish at the rim more often.

John B
11-04-2021, 01:48 PM
While I love DJs leadership, heart and fire, he’s inefficient, and calls his own number way too often for a PG. if he hasn’t learned that lesson yet, he won’t, and we won’t get better. 42% of his attempts come from 10 ft to the 3 point line. Not good.

I’m really loving what I see from Vassell this year. His ball handling, penetration, shot selection, and decision making are all really improved. The only nit I’d pick would be for him to finish at the rim more often.

DJ’s nightly near triple-double would make him an AS selection imo.

But I agree, Devin’s production is eye-popping, and very efficient, and on both sides of the court. I really like how he defended Luka. I think will see that more, and eventually would be the defensive catalyst of the team.

MultiTroll
11-04-2021, 03:36 PM
While I love DJs leadership, heart and fire, he’s inefficient, and calls his own number way too often for a PG.
High IQ non Sniffers have known DJ is better as a 2 vs pg since day 1.

Popped never will figure that out.

rjv
11-04-2021, 03:53 PM

i'm probably being foolishly optimistic about DJ but i agree on vassell. in the end, i just think that if this team has any hopes of getting back into the playoff picture in the near future, it has to currently be in possession of at least a couple of potential all-stars.

Seventyniner
11-04-2021, 04:34 PM
Turns out Poeltl was only on the verge of a breakthrough COVID infection.

talkspurs
11-04-2021, 05:49 PM
I know people are going to disagree (especially the haters) but DJ is getting close if not already in the top 20 in the league. Look around the league and name 20 players that you would rather have over him off of what they are currently producing. not what they produced in the past not what you think they could become. but this year name 20 better players.

RC_Drunkford
11-04-2021, 06:16 PM
How else is DJ going to develop into a star player if he doesn’t call his own number? That’s exactly what he should do. All the other guys are passing up way too many shots. I like him being aggressive. And yes Poeltl is a good piece to have

Mr. Body
11-04-2021, 09:59 PM
Lol, Murray is supposed to call his own number. That's the entire point. Even if their games are different, he's in the Tony Parker role. He stirs the drink. If there's a good shot or drive for him, he's supposed to take it.

exstatic
11-04-2021, 10:13 PM
How else is DJ going to develop into a star player if he doesn’t call his own number? That’s exactly what he should do. All the other guys are passing up way too many shots. I like him being aggressive. And yes Poeltl is a good piece to have

Dallas won because their Star player recognized the hot hand in Brunson, and force fed him the ball. DJ, who’s been in the league LONGER than Doncic, failed to make the same read with an incandescent, white hot Vassell. Game over.

daslicer
11-04-2021, 10:16 PM
Dallas won because their Star player recognized the hot hand in Brunson, and force fed him the ball. DJ, who’s been in the league LONGER than Doncic, failed to make the same read with an incandescent, white hot Vassell. Game over.

Doncic is a great playmaker. On a scale 1-10 Doncic's playmaking would be a 10. You can't compare his playmaking skills to DJ.

exstatic
11-04-2021, 10:21 PM
Doncic is a great playmaker. On a scale 1-10 Doncic's playmaking would be a 10. You can't compare his playmaking skills to DJ.

The thing is, he made very few plays in the second half. If Brunson was in the game, he had the ball, and Doncic got out of the way. Brunson was forced to pick up his dribble once, passed it to Doncic, who immediately passed it back.

The Truth #6
11-04-2021, 10:25 PM

It feels like Pop put McB out there to end up guarding Brunson as a calculation to get the ball out of Luka’s hands. It felt more like Luka deferring than feeding the hot hand. As for Vassel, yeah, I wish he shot more.

daslicer
11-04-2021, 10:26 PM
The thing is, he made very few plays in the second half. If Brunson was in the game, he had the ball, and Doncic got out of the way. Brunson was forced to pick up his dribble once, passed it to Doncic, who immediately passed it back.

I didn't watch the game so I didn't know what went down. When you said Doncic recognized Brunson was the hot hand I assumed that he was passing the ball to Brunson and setting him up to score easy buckets. Doncic is also a high IQ player so it doesn't surprise me that he got out of Brunson's way and allowed him to dominate. That really goes to Doncic having a good feel for the game. DJ on the other hand does not have Doncic's BB IQ.

gilmor2002
11-04-2021, 11:08 PM
1 player = Devin Vassel.. he will breakthrough this year...

gilmor2002
11-04-2021, 11:20 PM

omg, duncan is prob 2x or 3x better than Doncic..

If spurs have Duncan, we will have a change to compete for championship

Sorry, yes, Doncic is much much better than anyone Spurs has.. But I do see Vassel can assume the play-maker role asap.

exstatic
11-05-2021, 09:47 AM
omg, duncan is prob 2x or 3x better than Doncic..

If spurs have Duncan, we will have a change to compete for championship

Sorry, yes, Doncic is much much better than anyone Spurs has.. But I do see Vassel can assume the play-maker role asap.

Part of Vassell’s draft profile was some possibly unlockable playmaking ability. He’s already shown that he’s better at getting his own shot off the bounce when run off the line than Lonnie or Keldon, and he’s barely into his second season. Once they start paying attention to him, he can play make for others. He’s shown a bit of that.

rjv
11-05-2021, 10:03 AM

sean elliott was having a melt down about the spurs not getting the ball to devin. and it remained a point of contention for him throughout the rest of the broadcast.

SpurSpike
11-05-2021, 10:10 AM
I know people are going to disagree (especially the haters) but DJ is getting close if not already in the top 20 in the league. Look around the league and name 20 players that you would rather have over him off of what they are currently producing. not what they produced in the past not what you think they could become. but this year name 20 better players.

Its easier to get those numbers when your on a "bad team" because you get the ball more. His efforts are not currently winning games. In the past people on this board would say things about good looking players on bad teams like "of course he looks great because he can stat pad on a bad team". I hope this is not the case with DJ.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
11-05-2021, 10:39 AM
Turns out Poeltl was only on the verge of a breakthrough COVID infection.

Thank you for your service