PDA

View Full Version : spurs are tanking in a year with a weak draft & no superstar franchise savers

playblair
11-04-2021, 12:17 PM
fitting par for the course

HankChinaski
11-04-2021, 12:19 PM
We need to tank.
Start tanking
This is a weak year draft wise to tank
Spurstalk never fails.

LeBowen
11-04-2021, 12:23 PM
There's nothing worse than "weak draft" people.

All of them fucking experts on how will each player develop.

Btw, we already have a top5 pick from 2022 draft, it's just that we got him a year early.

KingKev
11-04-2021, 12:29 PM
Meh we have 2-3 years in the lottery top 10. Enough chances to find a few pieces to build around. Additionally, we are building further draft capital and McLovin or White are probably our worst contracts. Lots of options here. Oh and Pop likely gone. All positives.

Leetonidas
11-04-2021, 12:45 PM
Idk man this was supposed to be a "super deep" draft and 3 of the top 5 picks look like garbage so far. At this point it's obvious that most draft experts don't know shit about evaluating talent

playblair
11-04-2021, 12:45 PM
There's nothing worse than "weak draft" people.

All of them fucking experts on how will each player develop.

Btw, we already have a top5 pick from 2022 draft, it's just that we got him a year early.
i am a basketball scout for a major website btw i predicted primo to be a gem...........i watch every college game from every team that airs.........2022draft is weak no excuses

Dex
11-04-2021, 12:53 PM
Idk man this was supposed to be a "super deep" draft and 3 of the top 5 picks look like garbage so far. At this point it's obvious that most draft experts don't know shit about evaluating talent

Meanwhile, the last "franchise changer" Zion is out there looking like he ate the rest of the team.

RC_Drunkford
11-04-2021, 01:05 PM
Doesn’t matter as long as Pop is the coach this franchise ain’t going anywhere but downhill

KobesAchilles
11-04-2021, 01:56 PM
Meanwhile, the last "franchise changer" Zion is out there looking like he ate the rest of the team.
said when they drafted him that NO was the wrong place for Zion. Dude is a good player though too bad he's so stupid. It's gonna be interesting who is gonna make the playoffs first between the shitty Spurs, Rockets, and Pelicans. Might as well add Ja in there after he heads to LA

LeBowen
11-04-2021, 02:13 PM
i am a basketball scout for a major website btw i predicted primo to be a gem...........i watch every college game from every team that airs.........2022draft is weak no excuses

Don't worry about college, RC is probably in some European country, full voyeur mode. :lol

SpurPadre
11-04-2021, 02:25 PM
I don't pretend to know how weak or strong the next draft is going to be but is that white 100 pound 7 footer with no muscles REALLY considered the top pick?

John B
11-04-2021, 02:28 PM
Don't worry about college, RC is probably in some European country, full voyeur mode. :lol

Just wasted two years on a European player :depressed

cd98
11-04-2021, 04:25 PM
Everything the experts are saying indicates that this will be a good draft year, just like last year.

J_Paco
11-04-2021, 04:49 PM
Everything the experts are saying indicates that this will be a good draft year, just like last year.

Yeah, this draft class is loaded with big man prospects which the Spurs are in desperate need of.

And great players come out of weak draft classes too. Isn't the Tony Parker/Pau Gasol draft class considered weak, yet it produced those two aforementioned HOFers plus Zach Randolph, Joe Johnson & Tyson Chandler?

The 2013 draft class is also extremely weak - with a ton of busts - yet there is another future HOFer draft right in the middle of the 1st round (Giannis Antetokounmpo).

Ibleedslvrnblk
11-04-2021, 04:58 PM
The draft is a bloody crap shoot. Look at all the top 10 picks that failed to do a damn thing. Then go even further to all the first overall picks who busted. What made this team successful was one of the few first overall picks to have an amazing career a 28th pick and a 57th pick...

LaMarcus Bryant
11-04-2021, 05:16 PM
As long as we don't draft one of those stupid ass schlongo ball kids

FutureMan
11-04-2021, 05:38 PM
Weak draft?? Way too early to tell something like that. Plus people have been talking about Holmgren and Banchero for a while too.

offset formation
11-04-2021, 06:37 PM

but you were begging for this going so far as to boycott the team last year because of the old core, no? you can't then complain we are tanking after we tried to hang on to mediocrity now that we've gone with a full youth movement.

I resisted the move to go young until about halfway through last season when I finally accepted we can't do the hybrid tank (hope for 8 seeds and get good on the lottery fringe).

That said, I've had enough of Pop and his rotations. If you're gonna go with a youth movement, then play your youngest player. Let him learn and excel with the ppl he'll be going against for the next 15 yrs. It's not like this is the Timmy era and you can finesse your player development while still winning 55 games.

I want Primo to play. I want Vassell to play (more minutes). I want Jones to play more. I want Jock to play more.

Pop seemingly thinks his rotational lineup is just development yrs away from the playoffs. When the reality is Murray is your only existing player that should be in your starting lineup for a playoff contender. KJ and White are what they are, solid bench guys. Same with Poeltl...he is a good defender but so limited on offense --> he will not be a starting center on a playoff contender --> yeah I said it. McBuckets can be a solid player on a playoff team off the bench as well. Which means they need to be looking for 4 starters. Give Primo more than 5 minutes that aren't in garbage time.

Point is we aren't going anywhere much further with that starting 5 and Pop and his shitty development lately isn't gonna make it so.

tim_duncan_fan
11-04-2021, 06:54 PM
As long as we don't draft one of those stupid ass schlongo ball kids

Schlongo ball?

Chomag
11-04-2021, 07:11 PM
We need those picks for Austin sir!

Truckules
11-04-2021, 07:21 PM
If they somehow get the first pick, Banchero is the exact kind of player the Spurs need.

SayTown
11-04-2021, 07:44 PM
They're not tanking they're just young and suck.

offset formation
11-04-2021, 08:42 PM

A difference with no distinction.

playbonner15
11-04-2021, 09:40 PM
We need those picks for Austin sir!

When you realize your team sucked and tanked the whole season, then the pick will just play in Austin :elephant

XDT76
11-04-2021, 10:41 PM
Why is this a thing? For the past 10 years the draft has only produce 3 MVP worthy players and none of them are drafted in the lottery.

Teamduncan21
11-05-2021, 12:12 AM
Yeah, this draft class is loaded with big man prospects which the Spurs are in desperate need of.

And great players come out of weak draft classes too. Isn't the Tony Parker/Pau Gasol draft class considered weak, yet it produced those two aforementioned HOFers plus Zach Randolph, Joe Johnson & Tyson Chandler?

The 2013 draft class is also extremely weak - with a ton of busts - yet there is another future HOFer draft right in the middle of the 1st round (Giannis Antetokounmpo).

Weak drafts tend to feature mid picks or even random picks

Deep drafts tend to favor the top few. Because the media who is labeling weak or strong is really a bad scout and can only spot obvious.

So if they see two or three players that are obvious top 5. They say it's a strong draft.

Mocks are not even close to accurate outside of top 3 in general

Fireball
11-05-2021, 03:05 AM
well, Pop is not tanking ...

Kool Bob Love
11-05-2021, 04:51 AM
The team sucks because of these stupid fiesta color jerseys.

slick'81
11-05-2021, 05:34 AM
:lol Tanking

CGD
11-05-2021, 06:32 AM

offset formation
11-05-2021, 08:12 AM
OKC, ostensibly a worse team with lesser talent, has now beaten the Lakers twice, home and away, without LeBron.

Fireball
11-05-2021, 08:17 AM
OKC, ostensibly a worse team with lesser talent, has now beaten the Lakers twice, home and away, without LeBron.

well, OKC has one player who is miles better than our best player ... whoever that is

Dejounte
11-05-2021, 08:27 AM
Wait, so the team that has tanked for years has lesser talent than the Spurs? Then what the fuck do y’all want the Spurs to do if neither plan works? Plus, losing teams beat winning teams all the time. This whole prisoner of the moment shit is getting tiresome.

offset formation
11-05-2021, 08:33 AM
well, OKC has one player who is miles better than our best player ... whoever that is

We are currently 2-2 against the Leastern Conference and haven't played anyone currently higher than 9th in the standings (first win against the 2nd worst team and MIL who is in a post-championship haze at 4-4 and was without 2 starters and 3 key bench guys).

We are 0-4 against the West, including two losses to Dallas (without Porzingis both times), a Denver team thats only at 4-4 currently without Murray), and an LA team at home without LeBron.

Im sure we will beat Orlando tonight and finish off the second worst team in the East twice to get to 3-4, but man oh man is this gonna be a long year. We really haven't played any of the best teams in the league from either conference, and certainly not at full strength.

Yet Primo is taking handles classes in Austin. Fuck pop.

offset formation
11-05-2021, 08:34 AM
Dont be daft, of course they have lesser talent. But they have like a billion first roubd picks upon which to parlay into better talent.

offset formation
11-05-2021, 08:41 AM
Wait, so the team that has tanked for years has lesser talent than the Spurs? Then what the fuck do y’all want the Spurs to do if neither plan works? Plus, losing teams beat winning teams all the time. This whole prisoner of the moment shit is getting tiresome.

I want them to commit to one plan or the other. Lol, this isnt rocket science. Stop acting like we are mere development away from turning the corner. We are talent away from turning the corner.

I think its obvious we have maybe three starters on our roster that can be a playoff team, yet one doesn't play at all, and the other gets limited minutes. Murray being the third. I suppose Jakob could be a 4th with enough scoring players around him, but without that, hes a huge weight around the offensive capabilities of the team especially in the pnp game with Murray.

Dejounte
11-05-2021, 09:00 AM
No, it’s not “of course they have lesser talent”. They should have better talent after all these years if the experts on here are correct that tanking yields better talent. Same for the Rockets with Green who chucks everything up and Sengun who is foul prone.

rjv
11-05-2021, 09:06 AM
No, it’s not “of course they have lesser talent”. They should have better talent after all these years if the experts on here are correct that tanking yields better talent. Same for the Rockets with Green who chucks everything up and Sengun who is foul prone.

man, i was all in on sengun for the draft but i think we may have dodged a bullet. he may turn out to have a decent tenure in the league but he is slow and so limited on the defensive end of the ball.

offset formation
11-05-2021, 09:12 AM

But...Green and Sengun are playing [pulls hair out of head]. Lots of minutes. And Sengun is already leading the league in forcing turnovers and is already demonstrating he's gonna be a stud in this league for a long time to come. The Rockets are playing their youth, and a bunch of minutes.

Of course our top draft pick is taking dribbling lessons and has played about 5 minutes in 8 games.

As for OKC, they've racked up enough FRPs to trade for a starting playoff roster to go around SGA. Problem they have and will always have is they know its a short term rental because OKC is undoubtedly the least coveted free agent destination in the league. So I'm sure they're gun-shy about using hard earned capital on trades. Theyre in a tough position to parlay their cards.

offset formation
11-05-2021, 09:17 AM
man, i was all in on sengun for the draft but i think we may have dodged a bullet. he may turn out to have a decent tenure in the league but he is slow and so limited on the defensive end of the ball.

Those things were known about his game pre-draft. He's already leading the league on forced turnovers, so I'm not sure what you mean about his defense.

https://www.thedreamshake.com/2021/10/12/22722449/alperen-sengun-will-be-starting-for-the-houston-rockets-sooner-rather-than-later

I was and remain high on him. That said, I would love to rally behind Primo once Pop thinks hes learned how to dribble, of course.

rjv
11-05-2021, 09:20 AM
Those things were known about his game pre-draft. He's already leading the league on forced turnovers, so I'm not sure what you mean about his defense.

https://www.thedreamshake.com/2021/10/12/22722449/alperen-sengun-will-be-starting-for-the-houston-rockets-sooner-rather-than-later

I was and remain high on him. That said, I would love to rally behind Primo once Pop thinks hes learned how to dribble, of course.

the times i've seen him against other bigs, he gets abused. altin was toying with him last night.

offset formation
11-05-2021, 09:23 AM
the times i've seen him against other bigs, he gets abused. altin was toying with him last night.

Ayton is amongst the league's best big men and likely to secure a max contract. He should toy with an undersized rook playing his 7th game.

Sengun has all the skills he needs to be a solid PF in this league for years to come. He just needs to learn defensive positioning and improve his 3 ball. Read that article I posted above.

rjv
11-05-2021, 09:32 AM
Ayton is amongst the league's best big men and likely to secure a max contract. He should toy with an undersized rook playing his 7th game.

Sengun has all the skills he needs to be a solid PF in this league for years to come. He just needs to learn defensive positioning and improve his 3 ball. Read that article I posted above.

i read the article. it's nice but it's a localized SB nation article so i weigh it accordingly. in other words, it's more of an opinion piece. again, i liked sengun and i think he'll carve out a decent enough career because of his offense but i see a lot more upside in primo. that being said, sengun's background is such that a stint in the g-league really wasn't necessary.

offset formation
11-05-2021, 09:37 AM
i read the article. it's nice but it's a localized SB nation article so i weigh it accordingly. in other words, it's more of an opinion piece. again, i liked sengun and i think he'll carve out a decent enough career because of his offense but i see a lot more upside in primo. that being said, sengun's background is such that a stint in the g-league really wasn't necessary.

Primo should be great, once pop thinks he can dribble, tbh.

Dejounte
11-05-2021, 09:47 AM
But...Green and Sengun are playing [pulls hair out of head]. Lots of minutes. And Sengun is already leading the league in forcing turnovers and is already demonstrating he's gonna be a stud in this league for a long time to come. The Rockets are playing their youth, and a bunch of minutes.

Of course our top draft pick is taking dribbling lessons and has played about 5 minutes in 8 games.

As for OKC, they've racked up enough FRPs to trade for a starting playoff roster to go around SGA. Problem they have and will always have is they know its a short term rental because OKC is undoubtedly the least coveted free agent destination in the league. So I'm sure they're gun-shy about using hard earned capital on trades. Theyre in a tough position to parlay their cards.

Whoopty fucking do that these scrubs are getting minutes. Busts get minutes all the time. We’re deviating from the topic talking about minutes which is in no relation to the point that these tanking teams should have better talent when you’re saying they dont. That’s ridiculous.

R. DeMurre
11-05-2021, 10:17 AM
[QUOTE=offset formation;10633797]

Tbh, one of Primo's biggest issues currently is his handles and, by extension, his assist-to-turnover ratio. I remember one poster here pointing out that Cade Cunningham had a poor assist-to-turnover ratio in college, and saying that was a major red flag... well, Primo's ratio in college was worse than Cunningham's, and he wasn't even the main option at Alabama-- plus he continued this trend in Summer League. If the Spurs plan on using him as a future secondary playmaker, it's probably the main thing that Primo needs to work on. His shooting stroke & confidence/aggression seem to already be there, so adding handles & D will be the things that make him the most complete player possible. If Primo doesn't join the team in the second half of the season, I think you'll have a point, but for now I'm good with him developing in Austin & focusing on the aspects of his game that need work.

Btw: you mentioned dribbling twice, so I'm assuming there was some mention of this somewhere? Do you have a link? I'd honestly like to read it. I haven't seen it anywhere, but it makes sense.

rjv
11-05-2021, 10:21 AM
Tbh, one of Primo's biggest issues currently is his handles and, by extension, his assist-to-turnover ratio. I remember one poster here pointing out that Cade Cunningham had a poor assist-to-turnover ratio in college, and saying that was a major red flag... well, Primo's ratio in college was worse than Cunningham's, and he wasn't even the main option at Alabama-- plus he continued this trend in Summer League. If the Spurs plan on using him as a future secondary playmaker, it's probably the main thing that Primo needs to work on. His shooting stroke & confidence/aggression seem to already be there, so adding handles & D will be the things that make him the most complete player possible. If Primo doesn't join the team in the second half of the season, I think you'll have a point, but for now I'm good with him developing in Austin & focusing on the aspects of his game that need work.

when kawhi was in his early years on the spurs, he had some pretty sloppy ball handling skills as well which impacted his input on the offensive side of the ball; it wasn't until he polished his ball handling that he went to the next level. now, leonard was older and he also had so much to offer on the defensive side that putting him on the starting unit just made sense at the time, especially since he was surrounded by a trio of hall of famers.

R. DeMurre
11-05-2021, 12:43 PM
when kawhi was in his early years on the spurs, he had some pretty sloppy ball handling skills as well which impacted his input on the offensive side of the ball; it wasn't until he polished his ball handling that he went to the next level. now, leonard was older and he also had so much to offer on the defensive side that putting him on the starting unit just made sense at the time, especially since he was surrounded by a trio of hall of famers.

True-- and the teams that rookie & sophomore Kawhi played on were literally looking for a single missing piece to fill out a championship roster. This current team is in the discussion for the maybe getting a 10th seed.

elbamba1
11-05-2021, 04:14 PM
The Spurs ain't tanking, they are just not that good.

offset formation
11-05-2021, 05:11 PM

Btw: you mentioned dribbling twice, so I'm assuming there was some mention of this somewhere? Do you have a link? I'd honestly like to read it. I haven't seen it anywhere, but it makes sense.

When you're tanking, it shouldn't matter how many turnovers the kid gets. Let him get his run playing hoops like other of his peers.

I saw a tweet I think that he was being sent to Austin to work on his handles, among other things.

offset formation
11-05-2021, 05:13 PM
True-- and the teams that rookie & sophomore Kawhi played on were literally looking for a single missing piece to fill out a championship roster. This current team is in the discussion for the maybe getting a 10th seed.

That's being kind. probably closer to the 12th or 13th.

offset formation
11-05-2021, 05:14 PM
Whoopty fucking do that these scrubs are getting minutes. Busts get minutes all the time. We’re deviating from the topic talking about minutes which is in no relation to the point that these tanking teams should have better talent when you’re saying they dont. That’s ridiculous.

Scrubs? Busts? Jalen Green was the 2nd pick. Sengun like the 16th.

Just keep going down the list 1-11, and 13-30. They've all gotten more minutes by large margins

J_Paco
11-06-2021, 09:46 AM

If DeJounte continues this impressive start all season then I'd hesitate to say Shai is the superior player. Both need more talent and scoring around them for either team to really improve.

illusioNtEk
11-07-2021, 08:47 PM
Even if we get a good pick fuxking pop will send his ass to the g league.... who fucking cares...

ducks
04-07-2022, 10:55 PM
Someone is wrong
P