PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs @ Magic - November 5th, 2021 - Sponsored By timvp on a Milk Carton

Robz4000
11-05-2021, 11:54 PM
The Story:
https://i.ibb.co/yPJVLJb/Nov5-boxscore.png

The Spurs arrived in Orlando on a two game losing streak, having lost 7 of 8, and being a lousy (depending on whether you're on the sniff or tank wagon) 2-6. However, one of said wins came against this Magic team at the start of the season. Lets be real: the Magic may be the worst team in the NBA and it doesn't help that they're missing their best player in Jonathan Isaac and other rotation players. Nonetheless the Spurs were playing their second game without Jakob Poeltl, arguably their most important player, so they couldn't afford to take anything for granted.

The first quarter started out as a back-and-forth affair with each team taking a lead at different points. Towards the end of the quarter Dejounte Murray hit a couple key shots to push the Spurs up by double digits. When he subbed out the offense became bogged down a bit through a combination of spirited defense by Orlando and poor execution by the bench unit. The quarter ended with the SPurs up 10.

In the second quarter, it was more of the same on offense with both teams struggling to score. The lead remained around 10 for a majority of the quarter with some sloppy turnovers by both teams mucking things up. The Spurs did enough to push their lead to 13 at the half.

At the start of the third quarter Derrick White hit a three and Orlando had a bad turnover that seemed to spell the game was about to be blown open, but a few key shots by the Magic reeled the Spurs back in a bit. However, much like the first half Orlando failed to generate consistent offense and the quarter passed much like the second with the Spurs up 10 entering the final stanza.

The fourth quarter ended up being the highest scoring quarter of the game. Early on it seemed as if the Spurs were going to put the game away after going up 14, but a few costly turnovers along with the Magic waking up from the three point line a bit pulled them within seven. Luckily, the Spurs were able to lean on the shot-creating abilities of Murray, White, Keldon Johnson, Devin Vassell, and surprisingly Thaddeus Young along with some stingy defense to generate easy points. By the final minutes of the game the Spurs were safely ahead and the Magic never seriously threatened again.

Some things I noticed during the game:

-Team never really seemed to get into an offensive rhythm thanks in part to good defense by Mo Bamba at the rim and the lack of offensive rebounds with Poeltl out, but it is concerning that the team seems to fall apart offensively when Murray heads to the bench.

-White doesn't look all that great physically, but I still feel like he positively impacts the game even when the boxscore doesn't show it.

-Mentioned it earlier in the beginning of the grades, but this team needs Poeltl badly. The dropoff in play on both ends without him is palpable.

-That being said, if Pop starts Young while Poeltl remains out and he can play like this the team will survive. The Magic are one of those few teams that starts two bigs together in today's NBA and the Spurs survived.

-Murray and White may be the best rebounding guard duo in the whole league. Never seen a pair who can fight amonst the trees for contested rebounds play after play like these two.

-Pop continues to play Brent Forms and Josh McDermott together and that needs to stop ASAP. It's happened a few times already this season where the two have played together and opposing offenses have woken up after strong defensive play all game. Luckily it didn't happen tonight.

Grades:

Dejounte Murray - A-

It's only nine games into the season but we've come to expect a certain level of play of him so far this season. Murray has been consistent and racking up rebounds, assists, and blocks/steals; however, don't look now but his three-point percentage is starting to come around. Tonight, Orlando didn't seem to get the message so they sagged off of him quite a bit. While Murray didn't make them pay from three he did hit a number of midrange shots, especially in the fourth quarter when the Magic made their comeback attempt. As noted earlier the team looks its best when Murray is orchestrating the offense and tonight was the same. The only knock from me was some poor ball-handling at times and two bad turnovers (two of onlly three in the game, mind you).

Derrick White - B-

While Derrick looks wonky physically and it leads to poor possessions, I thought he did a fine job to keep the Spurs on track. He hit a few timely shots in the guts of the game while being a steady playmaker. Defensively, he was sturdy in the pain and a beast on the boards. Unfortunately he did shoot poorly and had a few possessions ruined by hesitating. Hopefully as the season wears on his body gets into gear.

Keldon Johnson - B+

Big Body was all over the place tonight, using his body as a wrecking ball rushing into the paint to score or to crash the boards. His energy seemed to spread to the rest of the team, especially in the fourth quarter when it came time for the final push to put the game away. My only knock against him on this night was his hesitancy to shoot from three; he had a couple wide-open threes that he failed to take and instead opted to drive into the paint for more difficult shots.

Doug McDermott - C+

There were times early in the game where McDipshit seemed poised to have a big night, as he moved wel and put himself in position for easy buckets. However, as the contest wore on it became apparent he didn't have his legs under him as he failed to hit shots he'd normally make. With that on top of his pourous defense his upside was limited. Luckily, the Magic had to account for him at all times which opened up the floor for the youngins to do some damage.

Drew Eubanks - D+

Though Drew played hard and has the athleticism to play in the NBA, he just isn't a starting caliber bigman. Ewwbanks was overwhelmed by Orlando's bigs and was often too slow to defend out on the perimeter. He was ineffective against Mo Bamba and Wendell Carter Jr offensively as well. We've seen him play well in limited minutes off the bench but it definitely would've been nice to see the Aussie Jock Landale get some burn in Drew's place.

Lonnie Walker IV - D

Quiet night for Lonnie, which shouldn't be happening for him in a contract year. He had a play in the first quarter where he sprinted to the rim from outside the three point line for a layup seemingly instantly, which many of us were hoping to be the beginning of a productive night for Walker. Unfortunately, he disappeared for the rest of the game. He's had his moments this season, but it's becoming worrisome that Lonnie still isn't mentally engaged game in-game out to make his impact felt.

Devin Vassell - A

I'm not sure where the ceiling on this kid is. It feels like each game he shows more and more of his athleticism and growing skillset. Whether its a silky stroke or a thunderous dunk, Vassell demonstrated a wide variety of moves in this contest. On defense he continues to be an absolute monster with his help defense and playing of the passing lanes; although he was only credited three steals I counted four other deflections that directly resulted in turnovers.

Thaddeus Young - A

Game ball tonight goes to Thaddeus Young. Without his gritty play on both ends the Spurs lose this game. He scored, he defended, he rebounded, and made great passes that resulted in easy buckets for his teammates. Before Young came here this Summer he was known league-wide for being one of, if not the best, backup bigs in the league and as his playing time increases its becoming more and more apparent this guy just knows how to play basketball. If he could shoot the three at any reasonable clip the dude would be a surefire starter. As for tonight the team was content to have him banging down low while focusing on wreaking havoc on defense.

Keita Bates-Diop - C

KBD provided a spark defensively but never really got it going on offense. For him to survive in this league he's going to need to provide something on that end. Tonight the team didn't need it but if he could've made Orlando account for him this game most likely is over early in the fourth quarter.

Tre Jones - Inc

Not a lot of burn tonight for Jones, but I did like the steady hand he provided to the team on both ends. He made his only shot but the spacing with him and KBD on the floor made things hard for the offense. The two of them make an intriguing defensive duo, however, so if either of them can develop a reliable shot the team really has a bright future with their bench defense.

Brent Forms - F

Played four minutes too many honestly. We've come to expect bad things when he sees the floor and he didn't disappoint. Made two bad rotations that resulted in open shots for the Magic and passed up an open three that seemingly irked Pop (:wow) and he never saw the floor again. Really should be more of an Inc for his grade but figured he was owed an F for past actions.

Pop - B-

Rotations made sense for the most part and he avoided playing Forms too much, but when he did he played him alongside McDermott. This team has loads of young guys on the roster who need playing time, some of whom (looking at you, Lonnie) that are already poor defenders. It makes no sense to play two guys who are known commodities that are some of the worst defenders in the league together. It's also frustrating that Pop has seemingly no idea the coach's challenge exists nor how to use it. I liked most of the plays he called and he did seem to have the team adjust from last game with the Mavs with Poeltl out as the team did much better rebounding. Would've been nice to see Jock get some burn tonight as well but that would be asking too much with Pop at the helm.

playblair
11-05-2021, 11:59 PM
yet another forbes hater making grades........this ish has got to stop..........hating on forbes just because lj said he was bad is getting annoying at this point

slick'81
11-06-2021, 12:06 AM
Appreciate it rob!! You got the juice now

Mr. Body
11-06-2021, 12:06 AM
It's hard to quantify, but with Thad Young, you see all these tiny little things he does right. You see what years in the league as a smart player can get you. He just knows how to play basketball and tilt things in a team's favor in a million different ways.

LongtimeSpursFan
11-06-2021, 12:46 AM
Young is the best passer on this team.

eDizzle20
11-06-2021, 12:48 AM
Thad increasing that trade value

Notorious H.O.P.
11-06-2021, 01:16 AM
While many here would like to give Forbes an F every game, he earned it in this one. Passed up a shot he should have taken and was hunted by the Magic for his poor defense for all but one possession during his four minutes. By Cole Anthony in particular.

blizz
11-06-2021, 01:56 AM
Not enough “good guys” and “authored” buzz words.

John B
11-06-2021, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the grades Rob. On point on all of them.

I’m really impressed with how DJM has steadily maturing on his role as the head of the snake. His nearly triple-double a night says it all.

Devin is my new favorite player after Manu. His shots are just so smooth, and he just floats in the air. I remember when they used to caricatured the Dream Team with Pippen spinning his way to the basket? Well that’s Devin for me. I’m sorry for the early comparison to a HOFer, but that’s how I see Devin, so effortlessly scoring and such grace, and yet so long to hound passes. And that’s on display tonight.

Keldon is being Keldon with continually providing morale to the team with his emphatic dunks and rallying cries.

Thad Young, I’m starting to appreciate his crafty passes, which was missed without Poeltl in the game. I only wish he could be more deadly outside and he could play alongside Poeltl when Spurs face big PF’s, sliding KJ to SF. His hustles were also impressive. I think he’ll just get better the more he gets acclimated with the team.

Because speaking of McD, he’s starting to disappoint me lately. His ticket to this team is his shooting. And like Forbes, he can’t be playing high minutes unless he’s scoring, especially in the 3pt range, to open up lanes. I’m also surprised how very little plays Pop draws to get him open, or are the passes are just too late, or he’s not moving off screens fast enough to get open shots. Beli was a genius with how he constantly moved to get open, to catch and shoot the ball. McD and likewise Forbes don’t seem to have that skill. I don’t really want them to attack the rim if not necessary, especially Forbes, if they can just get open to catch and shoot open 3’s.

Lonnie is fading fast behind Devin. Lonnie just looks bad compared to the 2nd year, the way he defends and scores. I’m really rooting for him though, but it’s tough if you have Devin in the team to compare him to, because Devin is outplaying him as the 6th man of the team.

Overall, I think the Spurs was able to dispense this team that they’re supposed to beat. Besides the Pacers game when they were beaten badly, and the 2nd quarter collapsed vs Mavs in their 1st meeting, and the questionable last possession against Mavs, this team has not disappointed me. But I guess it’s what I expected without the veteran players, but they actually surpassed my expectations. It’s unfortunate that they haven’t moved Thad (but now I see his value as a veteran player) as they originally planned, which causing minutes away from Londale. Otherwise, the season has been enjoyable to watch. At times they have the lineup who I think can compete athletically against anyone in the league, and even bigger in the guard positions (especially with Devin). Let’s see how they match against OKC.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-06-2021, 03:05 AM
Great job OP :toast

tbdog
11-06-2021, 05:47 AM
Murray is playing great. White role is really off the last two seasons. He is our best point guard, but he plays this off ball 2 guard currently. Then for a few minutes he shared the court with Jones. I thought Walker played well but his minutes was given to Forbes and Jones, then White played probably 4mins too many. Walker needs more calls for him. Eubanks is the worst starting center in the league? Probably.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-06-2021, 06:16 AM
Nice job on the grades!

Thad’s play really stood out tonight. I think he reflects what this team lacks, which is veteran players who know where to be on offense and defense and know how to anticipate. Our young guy who does that best is Devin. Eubanks is a nice shot blocker but the overall talent drop off when he starts vs Jakob is enormous.

DDR’s departure has really opened things up for Dejonte, and he is making great strides in his enhanced role.

Doug needs some plays run for him. We have to find him some spot up opportunities. He also appeared a slight step slower tonight, so I wonder if that knee bruise is worse than advertised. The Beli comparison was good. Doug will need more stuff run for him because he’s not a contortionist like Marco was, he needs to square up to be effective shooting the ball.

Vassell is quickly becoming my favorite young Spur. Great game again.

Even though we’re 3-6 I still think this team can win some games. Probably just enough to get us outside the range for a higher tier draft pick. :lol

The Truth #6
11-06-2021, 07:33 AM
Great work on the write up.

exstatic
11-06-2021, 07:46 AM
Young is the best passer on this team.

Second. Poeltl is slightly better, due to his height advantage.

That little lead curl pass to Vassell for the dunk was a thing of beauty.

GAustex
11-06-2021, 07:46 AM
Great job
Thanks for the write up

r0drig0lac
11-06-2021, 07:55 AM
I only come to the forum to see the idiots who have spent years talking shit about Murray, having to swallow that he is the most talented player (which was ALWAYS obvious) and also the real team leader (which was also always obvious).

John B
11-06-2021, 08:03 AM
Doug needs some plays run for him. We have to find him some spot up opportunities. He also appeared a slight step slower tonight, so I wonder if that knee bruise is worse than advertised. The Beli comparison was good. Doug will need more stuff run for him because he’s not a contortionist like Marco was, he needs to square up to be effective shooting the ball.

Going back to the Beli comparison, Doug and Forbes are glaziers compared to him. I mean Beli was not the fastest but he was perpetually moving, fighting off screens, and hesitation moves to throw defenders off. Manu was the same when he wants to get open. Doug needs to learn that, or maybe Pop should draw more plays for him (and Forbes when he’s in). I hate to see both wasting minutes without shooting. They should let them fly as soon as they touch the ball. Devin, with his high release, does it and even with a defender on his face at one point :lol. He just elevated and hang up there. I swear this kid’s going to be a prolific scorer. He has that Kobe, Ray Allen swoossh. I remember Pop giving Kawhi Kobe tapes, he should with Devin. Specially when Devin gets stronger, posting up smaller defenders and quick fadeaways, this kid would be unstoppable. Just keep feeding him.

Dejounte
11-06-2021, 08:09 AM
Good write up op

lets face it: Spurs are never going to turn the roster upside down and trade or let go half the roster. It’s looking more and more like Lonnie is the odd man out. Forbes is not a long term fixture on the team no matter what people say. Eubanks days on the roster are numbered.

As close to a foundational piece can be: Murray
will be hard to replace: Poeltl
rising in importance: Vassell
Nice role players to have: White, McDermott, KBD
hold on longer to see what we have: Keldon, Tre Jones
short term, replaceable players: Lonnie, Forbes, Eubanks
unknowns: Primo, Landale, Collins, Wieskamp

Dverde
11-06-2021, 08:20 AM
McDipshit seems harsh. He’ll start making shots soon.

mo7888
11-06-2021, 08:33 AM
Good job op... spot on with the grades..:bobo

Robz4000
11-06-2021, 08:36 AM
McDipshit seems harsh. He’ll start making shots soon.

:lol been calling him that since he was signed. Just not a big fan of his.

Dex
11-06-2021, 09:12 AM
Good work, thank you sir :tu

Chinook
11-06-2021, 09:35 AM
I only come to the forum to see the idiots who have spent years talking shit about Murray, having to swallow that he is the most talented player (which was ALWAYS obvious) and also the real team leader (which was also always obvious).

I was never an "IG Baller" guy and have talked about his leadership and desire to be a Spur as much as I've talked about anything negative about him. That said, I don't think that Murray being the most developed guy on a 3-6 filled with guys who've been in the league for a couple of years is a huge victory lap. This isn't Kawhi becoming a superstar on a team full of HoFers. There's no reason to hate on Murray -- he's having his best start to a season after what must have been a horrible summer. No matter what you ultimately want to happen with DJM on the team long term, him playing well is a good thing for all involved.

I do think we need to wait until around the turn of the year to really know what's going on with him. Murray's historically had strong starts to seasons before mellowing out, and he's not actually an efficient scorer even now. At the same time, Thad's moving toward being the player I hoped we'd see, and Vassell is really flashing. If Poeltl can get back without messing up Young and a couple of perimeter players can figure it out, then the Spurs might be an above-.500 team come the ASB. If that's the case, Murray has a great chance to make it as a coaches' selection. Provided he keeps this level of play up until then, he'd deserve it.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
11-06-2021, 09:52 AM
Lmao, so we have the first clown that thinks he's Mr basketball. I was wondering who would be the first. Nobody gives a damn about yours or any other clowns basketball grades on this site. Other than Timvp

Dex
11-06-2021, 10:07 AM
Lmao, so we have the first clown that thinks he's Mr basketball. I was wondering who would be the first. Nobody gives a damn about yours or any other clowns basketball grades on this site. Other than Timvp

You think you could do better? Or are you only skilled in complaining?

Leetonidas
11-06-2021, 10:22 AM

Cleary judging by the thanks and likes on the OP and the comments in this thread you're wrong. The whole point of a bball forum is for people to share their bball opinions. Like I appreciate the work LJ puts in but why do we care more about his opinions than anyone else's? Just appreciate someone taking the time to do it imho

JeffDuncan
11-06-2021, 10:39 AM
An excellent overview, very well done.

I would grade Forbes a bit higher. I happened to notice, there was one time where, on defense, he managed to stay between his man and the basket, pretty well, for the entire possession. It's rare for Forbes to ever be between his man and the basket at all, let alone for an entire possession. So I'd give him an F+.

Otherwise, spot on!

GAustex
11-06-2021, 10:42 AM
It ain’t Forbes fault
He’s a nice enough fellow it seems
It’s the person who decided to put Bryn in the no win situation

JeffDuncan
11-06-2021, 10:44 AM

Oh, don't be such a grouchy wouchy. People will think your wife or significant other has stopped being physically affectionate to you.

Chinook
11-06-2021, 11:55 AM
Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF-nqw0OAa0&ab_channel=NBA

Just in case someone didn't get a chance to watch the game.

spurraider21
11-06-2021, 12:43 PM
Outside of very specific matchups, Thad has made an emphatic case to be the #2 center behind Poeltl

I wonder if Vassell starting in place of White can be a thing. Stagger Murray and White even more so White can focus on distributing and not being a shooting threat, because his shooting just isn’t remarkable. But pop seems to view Vassell as a 3 and use Lonnie as the 2, so not sure if that’s in the cards.

Mugen
11-06-2021, 12:54 PM
Robz w/ the goods tbh.

Chinook
11-06-2021, 12:59 PM
One thing that I think might counter-intuitively work is Young and Poeltl in a lineup with three-shooters. We saw a bit of it in the pre-season, and it didn't look too bad. I think if you give them the play-making responsibility and let the other guys find openings off them, then Thad and Jakob have the IQ to stay out of each other's way. It should work okay defensively given their savvy and okay mobility for centers. White and Murray starting together creates times when both are on the bench. Right now, Jones is getting those minutes, and that makes sense in its own way. But I wonder if this would be a better way to use the top players on the team more while also giving Pop a chance to play Forbes or (hopefully) Walker minutes outside the few SG slots left behind those guys.

Mugen
11-06-2021, 01:07 PM
I do hope Thad continues to show out so they can flip him for a 1st rounder ASAP tbh. He's a great backup C but he's even better as trade fodder.

jeebus
11-06-2021, 02:04 PM
cuckvp needs to just hand over the site and the revenue stream over to robvp.

koriwhat
11-06-2021, 02:46 PM
yet another forbes hater making grades........this ish has got to stop..........hating on forbes just because lj said he was bad is getting annoying at this point

I don't know how many times I've watched Forbes now from row 8 but he definitely fucking sucks and his 3's don't mean shit when he plays absolutely 0 defense which leads to points on the other end. I still can't believe the Spurs thought it was a good idea to bring that scrub back for a 2nd go.

koriwhat
11-06-2021, 02:47 PM
Cleary judging by the thanks and likes on the OP and the comments in this thread you're wrong. The whole point of a bball forum is for people to share their bball opinions. Like I appreciate the work LJ puts in but why do we care more about his opinions than anyone else's? Just appreciate someone taking the time to do it imho

:tu

Robz4000
11-06-2021, 03:43 PM

I'm sorry this is happening to you.

John B
11-06-2021, 04:17 PM
It ain’t Forbes fault
He’s a nice enough fellow it seems
It’s the person who decided to put Bryn in the no win situation

True. It just so happen that Forbes is not the player that Spurs need right now. He could be more successful in a contender with multiple stars who demands double team, which opens opportunities for him. We don’t have that type of player. And worst, whatever minutes goes to him is minutes taken from Tre or Lonnie.

GAustex
11-06-2021, 04:22 PM
Yet that person is “the greatest coach of all time” (at riding Duncan coattails)

spurs10
11-06-2021, 06:28 PM
I'm sorry this is happening to you. This made me laugh out load, I'm going to start a new acronym 'lol.'

Yeah man, it's always great to get new content on here. So thanks!

Even if you aren't timvp...you aren't him...you do you know that goddammit...don't you!!!???

Mr. Body
11-06-2021, 07:05 PM
One thing that I think might counter-intuitively work is Young and Poeltl in a lineup with three-shooters. We saw a bit of it in the pre-season, and it didn't look too bad. I think if you give them the play-making responsibility and let the other guys find openings off them, then Thad and Jakob have the IQ to stay out of each other's way. It should work okay defensively given their savvy and okay mobility for centers. White and Murray starting together creates times when both are on the bench. Right now, Jones is getting those minutes, and that makes sense in its own way. But I wonder if this would be a better way to use the top players on the team more while also giving Pop a chance to play Forbes or (hopefully) Walker minutes outside the few SG slots left behind those guys.

Do we have three shooters on the roster?

Allan Rowe vs Wade
11-06-2021, 07:13 PM
Like dudes who own guns? Probably?