PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Andre Miller

timvp
04-09-2003, 04:31 PM
http://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/3331.jpghttp://espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/nba/med/trans/lac.GIF

Name: Andre Miller
Height: 6-2
Weight: 200 lbs.
Pos: PG
Born: March 19, 1976, Los Angeles, California
Drafted: 1999, 1st round, 8th pick by Cavaliers
College: Utah

Andre Miller is a free agent at the end of the season.

Miller led the league in assists last season with the Cavs, but has struggled as a Clipper this season. All of his numbers are down and he's had trouble getting teammates involved.

Despite that, Miller is a huge talent. He's a big, tough point guard who has yet to reach the peak of his career. On a good team, he could become a great player.

On the Spurs, I don't see how he'd fit. He's a point guard who might not be as good as Tony Parker and will probably demand a lot of money.

KoriEllis
04-09-2003, 05:01 PM
He is good. But for some reason can't figure out how to make his teammates better. He gets his share of assists, but his game doesn't compliment or enhance anyone around him.

I say NO to Miller. I know that the Clippers suck, but it's rumored that he's an asshole to his teammates. That attitude won't fit in San Antonio.

Mark in Austin
04-09-2003, 05:09 PM
If we have a legitimate debate going on right now about adding the best point guard in the league to the Spurs, why even consider a second-tier pg like Miller???

timvp
04-09-2003, 05:17 PM
That is what I was wondering, Mark. Miller is as close to Kidd as there is in the NBA. Miller might be even more adept to playing with Parker than Kidd would be.

Patrick Davis
04-09-2003, 06:14 PM
If your gonna get a point guard, do it right. BUT, don't get a point guard.

Nbadan
04-10-2003, 02:03 AM
Overrated, and he is probably headed to Utah anyway.

Big Syke
04-10-2003, 12:21 PM
Those who want Kidd should want Miller as well ... same type of player but to a lesser degree.

F7
04-10-2003, 12:39 PM
honestly folks, I'd rather spend all that cap money on this baby:

http://www.55thandkeystone.com/images/bionicchair.jpg

Patrick Davis
04-10-2003, 01:10 PM
yeah, send him to utah to dissapoint. the pic and roll with miller and malone. not the same outcome.

Tawnia79
04-10-2003, 01:55 PM
I'll never understand why you guys are interested in pursuing PG's when you've got Tony Parker... focus on a PF or C (with Tim playing the opposite position) or even a SG, but you guys really don't need a point guard.

Tony Le Parker
04-10-2003, 02:10 PM
I still like the guy and if he could be gotten for 1/2 of Kidd's price, I'd grab him. I think Miller has suffered tremondously because of 2 things in Clipperland, selfishness and unwillingness to run a set offense. Miller was doing fine in the beginning of the year, when they tried to convince everyone that this was a new Clipper team. Then Olowakandi happened. If Dre goes to a team with a commitment to team-play and a decent coach, I think he will rebound in a big way and could be a huge steal.

KoriEllis
04-10-2003, 02:15 PM
I'll never understand why you guys are interested in pursuing PG's when you've got Tony Parker... focus on a PF or C

She speaks the truth.

timvp
04-10-2003, 02:19 PM
As a side note, I think Andre Miller (along with Baron Davis) is the reason why the US lost the WBC. He just isn't good yet at getting teammates involved. He can score and get assists, but he doesn't know how to set people up in spots they want the ball.

sportcamper1
04-10-2003, 02:28 PM
I am not saying that Miller is a good point guard. He may be just an average player. But reality check, who ever looks good & gets his teammates involved while playing for the Clippers or Cavs?

I have followed the Clips since before some of you were born; nobody looks good playing for the Clips. How many players leave teams like the Clips & Cavs & suddenly are regarded as good players?

spurster
04-10-2003, 03:23 PM
I'll never understand why you guys are interested in pursuing PG's when you've got Tony Parker... focus on a PF or C (with Tim playing the opposite position) or even a SG, but you guys really don't need a point guard.

I agree to a point. If it is questionable to go after Kidd, then it is foolish to go after Miller. Miller is not a top-notch guard like Kidd is.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-10-2003, 06:35 PM
I've got to weigh in on all this Andre Miller bashing.

The problem with Andre Miller is that he's never been on a good team.

The Andre Miller I remember from college was pretty darn good at getting people involved.

At Utah he had a great coach in Rick Majerus, and a great system in which to operate.

He is one of only two guys to score a triple-double in the modern NCAA format. The other ---- Magic Johnson. Miller's Utah team went to the Final Four, primarily due to him and his ability to create. Heck, it was Andre Miller and the eleven Mormons in the Final Four for freakin' sakes!

What's his NBA team resume? The Cleveland Cavaliers and the Los Angeles Clippers. Not exactly teams that are going to cultivate and maximize his NBA potential.

Why do you think Tony Parker is quickly being considered one of the league's top point guards? Answer - He's got a great coach who knows how to maximize the talents of the players on his roster. Answer 2 - He's got good players around him, the right mix of youth, veterans to learn from, and the MVP in the post. Answer 3 - He's got incredible speed, and a great head for the game. Andre Miller doesn't possess Tony's speed, but he's got good size, and the same head for the game.

If Andre Miller were playing for a playoff caliber team, I think you'd see he'd have a much different reputation. You can blame the Clippers lack of success on him, and even blame the U.S. loss in the Worlds on him, but I think that would be a mistake.

I think those who bash Andre Miller might be surprised one day.

That being said, do I want him on the Spurs?

Not really. :)

timvp
04-11-2003, 01:42 AM
I like Andre Miller. In fact, he is my favorite college basketball player of all-time. I loved that final four utah team with Miller and Doleac (I especially loved it because they were doing so well without Van Horn who had gone to the NBA the previous year).

But his NBA play is extremely overrated. He puts up stats, but he doesn't get teammates the ball where they want it. The WBC was the fault of the point guards. They didn't run the team well at all, and Miller was one of the main culprits.

He hasn't played on good teams, but this Clippers team was supposed to be good with his addition. Everyone was saying they'd make the playoffs. IIRC, David Aldridge said that the Clips would be as high as a fifth seed because Miller would take them to the next level.

At the time I knew that was BS. Miller has a lot of growing to do as a player, but will eventually live up to his billing.

TwoHandJam
04-26-2003, 11:53 PM
I have followed the Clips since before some of you were born; nobody looks good playing for the Clips.

Um, Elton Brand?