PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs @ Thunder - Nov. 7, 2021

timvp
11-08-2021, 12:03 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-at-oklahoma-city-thunder-game-10/

:wakeup

slick'81
11-08-2021, 12:08 AM
We love optimistic timvp

MI21
11-08-2021, 12:10 AM
I would love to know the all time point differential in 3rd quarters for the Spurs playing @ Oklahoma. I would be shocked if it was anything less than -5.

baseline bum
11-08-2021, 12:16 AM
LJ man, we tanking. Should be A's all around for out-tanking the tankingest team in the west.

jeebus
11-08-2021, 12:39 AM
Kudos to Robz for taking over the timvp account and getting grades posted in an timely manner.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-08-2021, 01:31 AM
Not sure what happened to that crisp first half team in the second half.

offset formation
11-08-2021, 03:00 AM
LJ man, we tanking. Should be A's all around for out-tanking the tankingest team in the west.

Bend over and I'll show you a tank...

siraulo23
11-08-2021, 03:47 AM
got damn White and Murray

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-08-2021, 08:00 AM
got damn White and Murray

If either of those two had played even average ball we’d of won easily. We’re making every opposing backcourt in the league look like all-stars.

I wish Tre Jones was stepping up a little better. We could switch to a Primo and Tre backcourt tomorrow and be better than this White-Murray sh!tshow.

tbdog
11-08-2021, 08:16 AM
I'm glad people are slowly see the backcourt just doesn't work.

dbestpro
11-08-2021, 09:15 AM
This is not a good team period. The players are not good at team ball and not good enough to play iso.

sananspursfan21
11-08-2021, 09:53 AM
What is it about OKC that no matter how much worse they are on paper than the Spurs, they always seem to beat em?

wildbill2u
11-08-2021, 12:15 PM
Not sure what happened to that crisp first half team in the second half.

Simple. all the early effort that depended on speed on defense was wasted when they ran out of gas in the second half, especially the 4th quarter. This team has some fast and well-conditioned players but you can't play 38 minutes like Murray did, and still expect to have your legs under you at the end of the game.

KobesAchilles
11-08-2021, 12:28 PM
Time to give Forbes more minutes. Dude is our only reliable shooter

KingKev
11-08-2021, 12:29 PM
Tank tank tank tank. I pray Brian Wright does not trade our first in a last ditch effort to acquire a vet and gun for the play-in.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
11-08-2021, 12:38 PM
Time to give Forbes more minutes. Dude is our only reliable shooter

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/thumbs-up-tank-character-cartoon-style-vector-illustration-thumbs-up-tank-character-cartoon-style-117780517.jpg

TDomination
11-08-2021, 01:14 PM
Murray has been good for the most part all year so i'd lay off of him but White on the other hand has been awful.

KobesAchilles
11-08-2021, 01:16 PM
If we have to give up a top 5 pick, Young and White for Simmons. Do you make that deal?

cd021
11-08-2021, 01:36 PM
White has been lowkey pretty bad on offense this season. His passing has been fine but he doesn't have any aggression when it comes to trying to score.

MannyIsGod
11-08-2021, 01:59 PM
I mean white by far has been the most disappointing spur this season and it's not even close.

John B
11-08-2021, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the grades Timvp.

I thought DJ didn’t execute well at the final minutes to rally his team back, and even gave up a possession on a costly turnover. The last play was badly executed with 22 secs left. DJ just basically passed to Bryn who wasn’t in position, who passed to Lonnie and resulted to Lonnie taking a long 3pt shot. DJ, as the head of the snake, should be involved in the last play either by shooting it himself or assisting. Neither happened. This speaks well that he’s way from being a closer and to get that AS nod, imo. He needs to work on that.

Did White play? If shots are not falling, what do great players do? They contribute sone other ways, or maybe attack the rim and hopefully get a trip to the FT and see balls going in and maybe get his shots going.

Too many scrappy plays by Bazley and Muscala. When is Pop going to play Londale. That was a perfect opportunity for him. I was really hoping Jock’s scrappy, hassle and motors would earn him minites. Or did he rub Pop the wrong way? I don’t get it. This is a developing team, then develop. I know Pop has to showcase Young, but he could fibd minutes for Jock if he really wants to, maybe alternate him to KBD at some nights.

Losing to an inferior team frustrates me. I thought they dispensed Magic on those two games, and supposed to beat poor teams, and then Spurs lost to OKC. :pctoss

TDomination
11-08-2021, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the grades Timvp.

I thought DJ didn’t execute well at the final minutes to rally his team back, and even gave up a possession on a costly turnover. The last play was badly executed with 22 secs left. DJ just basically passed to Bryn who wasn’t in position, who passed to Lonnie and resulted to Lonnie taking a long 3pt shot. DJ, as the head of the snake, should be involved in the last play either by shooting it himself or assisting. Neither happened. This speaks well that he’s way from being a closer and to get that AS nod, imo. He needs to work on that.

Did White play? If shots are not falling, what do great players do? They contribute sone other ways, or maybe attack the rim and hopefully get a trip to the FT and see balls going in and maybe get his shots going.

Too many scrappy plays by Bazley and Muscala. When is Pop going to play Londale. That was a perfect opportunity for him. I was really hoping Jock’s scrappy, hassle and motors would earn him minites. Or did he rub Pop the wrong way? I don’t get it. This is a developing team, then develop. I know Pop has to showcase Young, but he could fibd minutes for Jock if he really wants to, maybe alternate him to KBD at some nights.

Losing to an inferior team frustrates me. I thought they dispensed Magic on those two games, and supposed to beat poor teams, and then Spurs lost to OKC. :pctoss

for me personally this is the most frustrating thing about this season so far. being a rebuilding team, the best part about it is watching players be developed. And to see someone like Landale, who is an unknown in the NBA world, rot on the bench on a 3-7 team is just dumb.

And same goes for Primo, regardless if he's 18 and still raw. We don't have Timmy, Parker, Manu, Kawhi, Patty etc with a win now team. THIS is the time to develop guys on the main squad. I was so looking forward to that. But nope.

poopbox
11-08-2021, 03:04 PM
What is it about OKC that no matter how much worse they are on paper than the Spurs, they always seem to beat em?

The refs :rollin

Seventyniner
11-08-2021, 03:06 PM
If we have to give up a top 5 pick, Young and White for Simmons. Do you make that deal?

I can't see the Spurs being bad enough to get a top 5 pick without jumping into 1-4 with ping pong balls. At the very least the Rockets/Thunder/Magic will be worse, and I don't think the Pelicans will recover much even when Zion comes back. The Pistons will suck again and I don't see all three of the Cavs/Raps/Pacers finishing ahead of the Spurs.

It's looking like a #9-10 pick to me, unless the wheels fall off (injuries). Pop's proximity to the wins record also plays a role.

As for your question, if I knew the pick was going to be top 5 then no, but if you mean the Spurs' unprotected 1st this year + White + Young, I would seriously consider it and probably pull the trigger. I'm higher than most here on Simmons, though, and perhaps lower on White than some.

Kevin
11-08-2021, 03:14 PM

I'd do that deal but Philly probably wouldn't. Seems like the Spurs discovered there wasn't much of a market for Thad Young and Derrick White is fast becoming a sell low candidate himself.

John B
11-08-2021, 03:52 PM
for me personally this is the most frustrating thing about this season so far. being a rebuilding team, the best part about it is watching players be developed. And to see someone like Landale, who is an unknown in the NBA world, rot on the bench on a 3-7 team is just dumb.

And same goes for Primo, regardless if he's 18 and still raw. We don't have Timmy, Parker, Manu, Kawhi, Patty etc with a win now team. THIS is the time to develop guys on the main squad. I was so looking forward to that. But nope.

Completely agree. These loses would be acceptable watching our young guys being developed. It’s NOT a win now seaso. I don’t see why we see Eubanks more than Landale, or Forbes than Primo. I’m sure both can play well enough to take those minutes. I understand Primo needs play minutes, that probably I can understand. But Landale is rotting in the bench. The guy can rebound, shoot the range, heck has better overall game than Eubanks imo. Put developing players in real situations to learn. I love Pop, but Landale situation is odd, much like Samanic’s. I would’ve liked to have see him play more, but of course this management haven’t unloaded Thad. But that’s another thread topic

John B
11-08-2021, 03:54 PM
I'd do that deal but Philly probably wouldn't. Seems like the Spurs discovered there wasn't much of a market for Thad Young and Derrick White is fast becoming a sell low candidate himself.

Thad is actually playing well as of late, a big man man who can facilitate and do some dirty works, who occasionally can shoot the 3.

Kevin
11-08-2021, 04:32 PM
Thad is actually playing well as of late, a big man man who can facilitate and do some dirty works, who occasionally can shoot the 3.

Thad Young has no surplus trade value because he's making 14.5 million this year. He's a good backup up big and a glue guy but he's simply making too much money for other other teams to included worthwhile assets.

He'll be bought out at the deadline unless the Spurs are included as third team in a bigger deal.

GAustex
11-08-2021, 04:54 PM
Thad ain’t be shooting 3s.
I bout fell over when made that foul line jumper.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-08-2021, 05:49 PM

Hey, give the man credit, it was much deeper than the foul line...that was a 17 footer! :lol

Seventyniner
11-08-2021, 06:27 PM

Two years ago with the Bulls Thad shot 3.5 threes a game and made 35.6% of them. 33.1% on 1.4 attempts per game for his career.

He's no Steph Curry, but 35% would be good enough to keep defenses honest and allow him to play alongside Poeltl.

GAustex
11-08-2021, 07:15 PM
I’ll be damned
Thad got a deadeye from the 3
Sort of

GAustex
11-08-2021, 07:16 PM
I have seen bits of Thad over the years just not much.
I remember last year he threw Sammich around like a rag doll

Robz4000
11-08-2021, 07:42 PM

https://cdn.nba.com/manage/2020/07/nba-refs-huddle_0.jpg

callo1
11-08-2021, 08:33 PM
Forbes a B-

Very generous TimVp

spurs10
11-08-2021, 10:52 PM
I think if I was given an opportunity to play in a NBA game, I could take 10 shots and miss them.

XDT76
11-09-2021, 02:49 AM
When you have no interior presence it's hard to play nowadays. You collapse to prevent drive opponents shoots open 3. You guard the 3 pointers they just stroll in for a jam/layup. Our all 6'5 is not doing it. Even rebound is hard for our guys.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-09-2021, 04:30 AM
https://cdn.nba.com/manage/2020/07/nba-refs-huddle_0.jpg

The lack of respect the Spurs get from the refs borders on ridiculous. On one of Keldon’s drives against OKC the only thing the defender blocked was Keldon’s face…no call. And this happens over amd over amd over again. Teams are absolutely hatcheting our guys all over the floor, and there’s very few foul calls. I think word is out that it’s open hunting season on the young Spurs players and there’s little chance of hearing a whistle.

With as aggressive as the Spurs have been going to the basket they should get more calls. Silver doesn’t have the Spurs penciled in to the post season and it’s obvious we’re getting bottom-dweller treatment from the refs.

Teamduncan21
11-09-2021, 05:38 AM
I'm glad people are slowly see the backcourt just doesn't work.

I guess that is why pop refused to play them together for almost whole season before

tbdog
11-09-2021, 07:53 AM
I guess that is why pop refused to play them together for almost whole season before

He actually did, but White was injured for most of it. The year before, though, only in the bubble they played together.

dbestpro
11-09-2021, 09:47 AM
So, if the grades are based off their ability and seeing how the ability of this team is extremely low to begin with, the grades should always be somewhat elevated, which does not mean the player is getting better, just playing to their ability.