PDA

View Full Version : Spurs are doing something no team has done since 2018

wildbill2u
11-08-2021, 12:39 PM
The Spurs are doing something no team has done since 2018 (airalamo.com) (https://airalamo.com/posts/san-antonio-spurs-doing-something-not-done-2018?utm_campaign=FanSided+Daily&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email)

This article about the team speed of the Spurs gives statistical information that reinforces my view that the problem with the Spurs in the second half of games--and especially in the 4h quarter--is the direct result of running out of gas due to the pace they play at in the first half. Their team speed works in the first half of games as they harass the other team into miscues, turnovers, steals and generally bad shooting as the clock runs down. On offense they get break-away fast breaks and are able to slice up the other team's defemse before they get set.

It's team basketball at its best, but it has its limitations. The amount of energy expended in the first half drains the players and they simply can't duplicate the effort in the second half. They wind up with no legs under them and can't defend as well. Similarly, with the spring out of their legs, the shots start falling a little short on jumpers and they can't get to the basket on drives as easily.

The team is well-conditioned, but I contend that none of the players should be playing over 30 minutes if maximizing the team's speed is the game tactic of choice. I personally think it is the right way to go since we have no super-stars, but instead have a number of fast players with a second level of skill sets. You can see the impact of 38 minutes a game on Murray in the 4th quarter when his shots aren't falling. Same with White and Keldon.

The answer is to cut their minutes to give them meaningful breathers. Give some of the other players like Jones and Diop extended minutes with orders to run like hell to keep the pressure on while the others catch their breath and refuel energy.

bluebellmaniac
11-08-2021, 01:42 PM
The Spurs are doing something no team has done since 2018 (airalamo.com) (https://airalamo.com/posts/san-antonio-spurs-doing-something-not-done-2018?utm_campaign=FanSided+Daily&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email)

This article about the team speed of the Spurs gives statistical information that reinforces my view that the problem with the Spurs in the second half of games--and especially in the 4h quarter--is the direct result of running out of gas due to the pace they play at in the first half. Their team speed works in the first half of games as they harass the other team into miscues, turnovers, steals and generally bad shooting as the clock runs down. On offense they get break-away fast breaks and are able to slice up the other team's defemse before they get set.

It's team basketball at its best, but it has its limitations. The amount of energy expended in the first half drains the players and they simply can't duplicate the effort in the second half. They wind up with no legs under them and can't defend as well. Similarly, with the spring out of their legs, the shots start falling a little short on jumpers and they can't get to the basket on drives as easily.

The team is well-conditioned, but I contend that none of the players should be playing over 30 minutes if maximizing the team's speed is the game tactic of choice. I personally think it is the right way to go since we have no super-stars, but instead have a number of fast players with a second level of skill sets. You can see the impact of 38 minutes a game on Murray in the 4th quarter when his shots aren't falling. Same with White and Keldon.

The answer is to cut their minutes to give them meaningful breathers. Give some of the other players like Jones and Diop extended minutes with orders to run like hell to keep the pressure on while the others catch their breath and refuel energy.

Having the team depth to run all game would be the dream.

TDomination
11-08-2021, 01:48 PM
yeah i remember the laker game you could definitely see the tired legs at the end of the game.

their style of play is fun to watch (defensively speaking) but yeah it doesn't seem sustainable.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2021, 03:41 PM
It's a good argument for expanding the rotation and keeping Primo's assignments to a minimum.

MultiTroll
11-08-2021, 04:05 PM

Did you notice did the other teams starters and 6th / 7th men play less minutes then the Spurs?

Larry O
11-08-2021, 05:52 PM
Loving it what they do on defense, although it requires a whole lot of energy. But that motion offense; all of that zig zagging in & out of the paint, just to probe to find a good shot or open man, seems that it can zap the energy out of someone, even for the youngins, by the time the 4th quarter rolls around. In Sunday's game against OKC, the Spurs' shots were not falling while OKC's shots were, in the 3rd quarter. Could fatigue, due to all of that energy expended on both ends of the court, been key factors in that case? Even with all of that movement on offense, could it be difficult for McBuckets, LW4, Forbes, etc, to try to hit their threes while moving?

KingKev
11-08-2021, 06:00 PM
All NBA average. Literally 10 average players doing average things. DJ, Thad, Jak and maybe Keldon are the only real difference makers; just on another team. I’m enjoying watching this organization lose while trying to win. This culture thing has gotten out of hand. Winning culture should understand when they have already lost but I’m sure Pop has a motivational speech to rectify that.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-08-2021, 06:03 PM
Yeah, you can see their legs go out from under them. It's happened multiple times already this season. They looked crisp in the first half last night only to suck after halftime. Their shooting goes in the tank in the second half of basically every game.

Problem is, if this team isn't wreaking havoc defensively, their not good enough shooters to simply trade possessions. They'll still lose, only they won't be as tired. Maybe Pop needs to go twelve deep and run different substitution patterns than what he's currently doing. Even young guys get tired.

GAustex
11-08-2021, 06:19 PM
Well I said that when Primo got sent down.
Spurs play so hard they need help and Forbes can’t. The Duke point guard has to play. If Primo could give some good minutes that spells Murray and White. Lonnie and vassel need more minutes. It’s all hands on deck for that frenetic pace.

paperboy77
11-08-2021, 07:48 PM
No matter how you slice it all things point to Pop. Everyone if lucky enough, will go thru a slow down period as we age. Pop's gotta go.

DAF86
11-08-2021, 11:23 PM
I remember the first team of the Argie golden generation used to play full court press all game long and a lot of motion on offense too. They usually went 12 men deep with nobody playing more than 30 minutes. I think the Spurs have enough depth to pull this off.

wildbill2u
11-09-2021, 01:46 PM
They need short spurts of minutes where they can keep up a fast pace. I don't believe most other NBA teams will stand up to that sort of pressure and speed since they rely on a few players who play big minutes. You see some veterans like LeBron who have picked up some weight and can't play at that pace for long. If they try, they will get worn down and they will be the ones who have no legs in the 4th quarter.

We'd have to see a full commitment of playing the full roster to make that work, however. And so far we aren't seeing Pop go deep enough with enough minutes for bench players like Jones and Diop and virtually no minutes at all from a few players like Jock and the rookie they kept in SA????

SpursRussia
11-09-2021, 05:37 PM
Another problem is that this team doesn't get to the line at all. At this pace getting to the line is a must, these little free throw breaks give players time to catch their breath, regain concentration, get coaches instructions or make a sub.

If coaches want to stick to this high pace, which I really enjoy, they need to train our guards to earn their FTs

wildbill2u
11-09-2021, 06:03 PM
Another problem is that this team doesn't get to the line at all. At this pace getting to the line is a must, these little free throw breaks give players time to catch their breath, regain concentration, get coaches instructions or make a sub.

If coaches want to stick to this high pace, which I really enjoy, they need to train our guards to earn their FTs

Good point. To date, the only player I've seen who gets to the ft line with any regularity is Jones. It always amazed me that Tony Parker didn't rate among the league leaders in FTs since he spent so much time down among the giants. but he seemed to avoid them. Actually Jones shows some of that craftiness, but he also is able to somehow get off shots while being bumped all over the place. Keldon takes a lot of hits and gets to the line, but Lord knows it isn't because he is crafty. He just bulls in there and forces the issue. White and Murray seem to prefer pulling up for short jumpers and floaters, but shots get harder when you are tired.