PDA

View Full Version : Thad Young wants out

Pages : [1] 2

Dverde
12-05-2021, 07:54 PM
“Right now, this situation is not ideal for me”

https://twitter.com/alexkennedynba/status/1467228791458217984?s=21

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/12/05/thaddeus-young-on-spurs-right-now-this-situation-is-not-ideal-for-me/

BackHome
12-05-2021, 08:06 PM
That story was probably what made Pop start playing him which I think needed to happen as teams want to see what the player can do before making a trade. So let him play and try to get the highest bid you can get

CGD
12-05-2021, 08:12 PM
Problem is everyone will just wait for him to be bought out.

spurraider21
12-05-2021, 08:21 PM
Problem is everyone will just wait for him to be bought out.
why would they buy him out?

slick'81
12-05-2021, 08:22 PM
Welp, there goes his trade value. Every team knows he wants out ,and is disgruntled. Gonna be near impossible to nab a 1st rnd pick now

Domt blame him tbh. He spent the first two months playing behind drew ewwbanks :lol

MannyIsGod
12-05-2021, 08:27 PM
why would they buy him out?
Because he has no long term future here and it saves them money

tonight...you
12-05-2021, 08:28 PM
Lol. These players. You no likey? Whine until you get what you want!

exstatic
12-05-2021, 08:28 PM
Let his representation know that there will be no buyout. They’ll pass the word to other teams that may be interested. He’s not done anything to merit one, especially letting this cat out of the bag. If he wants to play on a contender, and there is no trade, he can sign with one this summer.

MannyIsGod
12-05-2021, 08:29 PM
Welp, there goes his trade value. Every team knows he wants out ,and is disgruntled. Gonna be near impossible to nab a 1st rnd pick now

Domt blame him tbh. He spent the first two months playing behind drew ewwbanks :lol

I mean this is part of why pop wasn't playing him tho. Doesn't make sense to play a guy who's not going to be here. Should have traded him. Before the season started but they also didn't want to give him away. I don't think he's going anywhere unless they make him part of a bigger deal and once the deadline comes he's getting bought out. Dude really should just stfu. He talks to the media way too much. He leaked the players meeting too.

MannyIsGod
12-05-2021, 08:30 PM
Let his representation know that there will be no buyout. They’ll pass the word to other teams that may be interested. He’s not done anything to merit one, especially letting this cat out of the bag. If he wants to play on a contender, and there is no trade, he can sign with one this summer.

Except everyone knows they will buy him out. Spurs aren't going to spend millions to be petty

exstatic
12-05-2021, 08:44 PM
Except everyone knows they will buy him out. Spurs aren't going to spend millions to be petty

They’ve already eaten Aminu’s $10M and Hutchison’s $4M. I don’t think the last $3-4M of Thad’s deal will trouble them too much. It’s not about being petty, it’s about announcing a new way of doing business for a rebuilding team. Like I said, you let people know. If they choose to roll the dice and lose, that’s on them. No more freebies. Knowing he was the club house snitch makes me not care that he would be the example. Someone has to be. It’s not like he signed here as a FA. Does OKCgive away their distressed assets? Nope.

Dverde
12-05-2021, 08:44 PM
That Suns trade going around makes a lot of sense. I could see Pop wanting to help Monty by doing the Thad trade with them despite their idiot owner. The league knows The Spurs will buy him out if there is no trade which sucks.

Trill Clinton
12-05-2021, 08:48 PM
OH NO! NOT THAD!!!

lmbebo
12-05-2021, 09:04 PM
He should have been traded this past summer.

exstatic
12-05-2021, 09:17 PM
He should have been traded this past summer.

The offers for trades like this are usually shit in the summer time. You’ve got to play some poker, and wait for the trade deadline.

Dex
12-05-2021, 09:24 PM
The offers for trades like this are usually shit in the summer time. You’ve got to play some poker, and wait for the trade deadline.

This. There is bound to be some team who has a guy get injured, or a young prospect who doesn't pan out, or whatever...and is suddenly going to want a good, modern big to come off the bench.

You don't trade him for peanuts now just for the sake of making a trade or because he is "unhappy".

Chomag
12-05-2021, 09:40 PM
These players really need to learn to STFU. He doesn't want to be here we get it but talking about it only tanks their value making it harder to move him and harder to give him what he wants

Robz4000
12-05-2021, 09:42 PM
These players really need to learn to STFU. He doesn't want to be here we get it but talking about it only tanks their value making it harder to move him and harder to give him what he wants

He wants to be bought out so he can pick where he plays tbh.

BackHome
12-05-2021, 09:43 PM
I agree no way should Spurs release unless they get the trade they want if he is not happy do what Houston and OK and other teams do send him home or sit him for rest of season.

Dex
12-05-2021, 09:46 PM
I agree no way should Spurs release unless they get the trade they want if he is not happy do what Houston and OK and other teams do send him home or sit him for rest of season.

Yeah, I'm tired of these charity cases. First it was Gasol, then Caroll, then Aldridge...at a certain point, the FO needs to realize that all of this "good will" isn't doing much but convincing players that they can have their cake and eat it too.

Say what you will about DeMar or Gay or Mills...but at least they were good soldiers until the very end and left on good terms.

Chinook
12-05-2021, 09:52 PM
If Thad is really going to be a problem, the Spurs should definitely release him. The most important thing isn't their rep with other players. It's chemistry. You want the young guys playing well and learning how to play together. If they have a malcontent, it's not worth a shitty second-rounder just to stick it to him. As a rebuilding team, they're going to be buying more guys out and running through roster spots just as much as they're going to be bringing new prospects and cutting/trading some guys who still have potential. It's normal. The Spurs can't win the Kawhi situation again by changing their attitude with Thad. The real solution is playing him and either keeping him or dealing him if the value is there. But if that's not a viable option, get what you can that doesn't cause pain, and let him go. Or just let him go. It's fine.

lefty20
12-05-2021, 09:56 PM
This. There is bound to be some team who has a guy get injured, or a young prospect who doesn't pan out, or whatever...and is suddenly going to want a good, modern big to come off the bench.

You don't trade him for peanuts now just for the sake of making a trade or because he is "unhappy".

Unfortunately, doing right by the player at the expense of the franchise is exactly the kind of thing I'd expect from PATFO.

Leetonidas
12-05-2021, 10:03 PM
I don't think it's an issue. Read the rest of the interview instead of this one part. Plus who can blame him anyway. The hope was always to flip him for something else

R. DeMurre
12-05-2021, 10:16 PM
If one of the contending teams loses a big to a season ending injury, Thad's value could potentially jump.

Mugen
12-05-2021, 10:25 PM
:lol Anybody that doesn't think the Spurs aren't just gonna buy him out and lose him for nothing.

spurraider21
12-05-2021, 10:36 PM
If Thad is really going to be a problem, the Spurs should definitely release him. The most important thing isn't their rep with other players. It's chemistry. You want the young guys playing well and learning how to play together. If they have a malcontent, it's not worth a shitty second-rounder just to stick it to him. As a rebuilding team, they're going to be buying more guys out and running through roster spots just as much as they're going to be bringing new prospects and cutting/trading some guys who still have potential. It's normal. The Spurs can't win the Kawhi situation again by changing their attitude with Thad. The real solution is playing him and either keeping him or dealing him if the value is there. But if that's not a viable option, get what you can that doesn't cause pain, and let him go. Or just let him go. It's fine.
fwiw he does seem to have good on-court chemistry with the guys

Dex
12-05-2021, 10:38 PM

That's the weird thing to me. It's not like he is buried on the bench...he's become the first big off the bench after Poeltl, which is exactly where he should be. His minutes are actually increasing as the season goes on and he learns the system, and he's been helping to produce wins.

I understand being upset about Chicago trading him and having to move his life and going from a team that is currently successful (Chicago) to the Spurs who are rebuilding...but that's the business.

Maybe this is all just smoke, and more playing time will placate him. If not, shut up and do your damn job, you are still getting paid and getting played.

Mr. Body
12-05-2021, 10:58 PM
I don't blame him and figure the FO is waiting until a contender realizes they need him, some big goes down. Problem is only four teams appear to be contenders at this point -- PHX, GSW, Brooklyn, and Chicago.

Dex
12-05-2021, 11:07 PM
I don't blame him and figure the FO is waiting until a contender realizes they need him, some big goes down. Problem is only four teams appear to be contenders at this point -- PHX, GSW, Brooklyn, and Chicago.

We can always hope for LeBron's annual bitch fit to make trades so that he can try to re-stack the deck.

Unfortunately, the Lakers don't have much in the way of assets.

ducks
12-05-2021, 11:17 PM

Yeah how dare he play and just make millions

Seventyniner
12-05-2021, 11:31 PM

It's not about which teams really are contenders, it's about which teams think they could be contenders. That adds teams like the Sixers, Jazz, Lakers, Clippers, Nuggets, Heat, Hawks, and maybe even the Celtics to the list. Delusion knows few limits.

Some of those teams don't have firsts to trade but there could still be a possible deal.

I'd add the Bucks to the actual contender list too.

daslicer
12-05-2021, 11:40 PM
I knew this for a while now. I remember reading an article a few days ago in which Thad stated he wasn't happy about the playing time he has received this season.

Chinook
12-06-2021, 12:05 AM

That's the weird thing to me. It's not like he is buried on the bench...he's become the first big off the bench after Poeltl, which is exactly where he should be. His minutes are actually increasing as the season goes on and he learns the system, and he's been helping to produce wins.

I understand being upset about Chicago trading him and having to move his life and going from a team that is currently successful (Chicago) to the Spurs who are rebuilding...but that's the business.

Maybe this is all just smoke, and more playing time will placate him. If not, shut up and do your damn job, you are still getting paid and getting played.

It wouldn't surprise me if the podcast was recorded a few days ago, before the last two games where Pop gave Young a solid role. As I've mentioned before, I believe Eubanks was going to be the first big off the bench for the Spurs against Portland, given that he is from the area. Prior to that, Young was getting minutes split with Drew, where he'd only play 10ish a game as a change-of-pace big or if someone got foul trouble.

I don't actually agree about the chemistry in these recent games. Young is trying to do too much, and the sense that I got is that his teammates are a little less happy with him as they were when Poeltl was out and both Eubanks and Young played. Thad has a high BBIQ, but the thing that made him fit in so well was that he had patience and was very unselfish. The Young that's gotten the nod recently isn't that guy. He's been much closer to someone like Joff than he was to Diaw. He could do some interesting things with the ball, but he got into trouble trying to make plays when he wasn't in a good position to do so. I haven't been happy at all with Young over this stretch, and I was one of the people pounding hardest on the table to put him in the rotation. I hope tomorrow he plays more in control.

tbdog
12-06-2021, 12:07 AM
The likelihood spurs getting a 1st rounder was unlikely to begin with. He is a backup 5 at the end of the day. It's more likely spurs get a 1st because they are taking back salary rather than trading fit young. Don't get your hopes up to high spurstalk.

objective
12-06-2021, 12:25 AM
No big time attractive free agent destination like either LA team or Brooklyn or Miami is likely to give up anything for him because they are sure to realize they can get him for free in a buyout.

No contender either like Phoenix or Milwaukee. IF Milwaukee thought Brook Lopez had a career ending surgery then maybe they'd want Young as a way to cut salary off next year but the initial word is that it's not career threatening.

That's why it would be someone like Minnesota as I mentioned in the other thread or Sacramento, teams desperate for the playoffs who could use help at the back up big spot. Or maybe Boston if they wanted off Richardson even though there's not much room for playing time if a Williams and Horrors are healthy, or Indiana, maybe in a three teame where they got off of Turner or Sabonis. They're not desperate to make the playoffs but Young did do well there so maybe if they were getting primarily draft compensation for Turbonis maybe he'd be desirable to make up part of the salary.

ismael-robert
12-06-2021, 12:30 AM
Nice click bait title dverde u got a career in journalism in front of u...its true it's not ideal as he'd like to be on contender but after last win who knows what we're capable of

Chinook
12-06-2021, 12:44 AM
So big-time attractive free-agent destinations make in-season trades for vets on expiring contracts with some frequency. They can't all get Young, and some of them have contracts they'd like to get rid to get more value out of the deal. I don't think a first is realistic either unless like with the Phoenix deal often propose, the Spurs are eating a lot of bad money. The Spurs can also use Young as buoyant filler in a deal, even if they can't extract good value directly. If the Spurs win tomorrow, they'll be heading to a point where they might become legit buyers this season. If Young somehow still wants out in that scenarios, the ability to offer a good expiring will beat a lot of other potential buyers who just have bad contracts for matching

Mark in Austin
12-06-2021, 01:28 AM
If Thad is really going to be a problem, the Spurs should definitely release him... just let him go. It's fine.

They've done it before, too. Anybody remember Ron Mercer's illustrious time with the Black & Silver?

Fireball
12-06-2021, 01:59 AM
too bad ... i really prefer playing him over Drew

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-06-2021, 02:03 AM
An interesting team that could use Thad is Atlanta. They have the fake OKC first, which turns into two probably good seconds and they have the contracts to make a deal work.

Dude should really stfu though. Get your agent working the phones and play.

XDT76
12-06-2021, 02:54 AM
Don't think the Spurs have plan to trade him in pre-season. He is probably filling in until Landale or Zollins is ready to play.

XDT76
12-06-2021, 03:08 AM
Maybe we don't have to wait for contenders just teams trying to shed salary like Houston can trade for Young with Woods and sign a free agent they fancy next off season.

slick'81
12-06-2021, 03:24 AM
Thad has mentioned he was shocked by the trade,and didn't expect or want to be in San Antonio . Id be surprised as well if spurs dont just buy him out. They definitely shouldn't but it wont surprise anyone

Larry O
12-06-2021, 05:18 AM
Don't think the Spurs have plan to trade him in pre-season. He is probably filling in until Landale or Zollins is ready to play.

This is my thought on this matter as well. Since Collins is injured, and won't be available until after Christmas, Young has been good insurance for the bigs just in case an injury to a big, or a big goes into COVID protocols. Eubanks is okay, and Lansdale is new to the system and unproven by PATFO standards. So a savvy veteran in Thad, who seemed to be a ram in the bush, seems to be working out thus far. Zollins will need to get into playing form, and if he pans out by February, then it's possible that the Spurs end up either trading him, depending what they can get on return, or just buy out his contract if his trade value isn't there. Time will tell...

SayTown
12-06-2021, 07:19 AM

Yeah but if he gets bought out he gets to pick where he goes, if a team really wants him they can trade for him before another team does.

KingKev
12-06-2021, 07:41 AM
This is not anything new and the backlash is unwarranted. He has been saying the current situation is not ideal but he understands the franchise is rebuilding and focusing on the youth so he will continue to be in game shape and ready when his card is called. Additionally, when they traded for him this summer it was made public he and PATFO had an agreement regarding his future as a Spur. When the media asks him how he feels about his current role and career lows in minutes played what do you expect him to say?

Despite the logjam at both the 5 and the 2 PATFO is very unlikely to make a trade IMO. Thad will be bought out when they realize the whole NBA is not offering any value to rent Thad. This is PATFOs own fault for setting a ridiculous precedent of player first buyouts.

Here is the scenario analysis of likely outcomes in my opinion:

A. Thad is a trade chip in a larger package for usable talent - 15%
B. Thad is traded for a FRP and a bad contract (the FRP is in part compensation for taking on a bad contract like Kevin Love) - 15%
C. He is bought out when no real market materializes - 50%
D. He finishes the year as a contributing bench player of it looks like we may be in the playoff hunt - 20%

The Truth #6
12-06-2021, 08:45 AM
This was the inevitable situation unless we either prioritized him or traded him. Like, why was he stuck behind Eubanks, especially when we quickly realized that Eubanks hadn’t made any “leap” and wasn’t committed to shooting threes? Also, he was always a trade chip. Sounds like he said the quiet part out loud.

FutureMan
12-06-2021, 09:31 AM
It's not about which teams really are contenders, it's about which teams think they could be contenders. That adds teams like the Sixers, Jazz, Lakers, Clippers, Nuggets, Heat, Hawks, and maybe even the Celtics to the list. Delusion knows few limits.

Some of those teams don't have firsts to trade but there could still be a possible deal.

I'd add the Bucks to the actual contender list too.

True and a few teams might be desperate JUST to get into the playoffs like Sacramento and maybe even the T-Wolves. I’d be happy with something like Young and Walker for Prince, Bolmaro, and some kind of draft compensation.

Id also really want to do a trade like this so that way, when we have our franchise player, it is easy to leapfrog over those teams again.

slick'81
12-06-2021, 09:59 AM
The endless string of vets asking out of sa continues. I thought vets loved playing here? Tf happened?!

Dex
12-06-2021, 10:12 AM
The endless string of vets asking out of sa continues. I thought vets loved playing here? Tf happened?!

They liked it when we were a lock for the playoffs every season and they had a shot at a ring.

All those guys I previously mentioned started asking out when the Spurs fell off.

People seem to underestimate how competitive these guys are. I know San Antonio needs a good draft pick, but the players are never going to be happy losing games. That's especially true for vets who are in their prime or past it, and see the clock ticking on their career.

cd98
12-06-2021, 10:19 AM
He's on a different timetable than the other team members. It'll be interesting to see how this goes down, but do we really think we can get a first rounder? I think that's pie in the sky. Not sure what they can get for him.

Trill Clinton
12-06-2021, 10:24 AM

We're not contenders anymore. Vets want to ring chase.

Dverde
12-06-2021, 10:24 AM
They liked it when we were a lock for the playoffs every season and they had a shot at a ring.

All those guys I previously mentioned started asking out when the Spurs fell off.

People seem to underestimate how competitive these guys are. I know San Antonio needs a good draft pick, but the players are never going to be happy losing games. That's especially true for vets who are in their prime or past it, and see the clock ticking on their career.

These players today are brats. They want to get paid and be on a contender every year. Not calling Thad a brat, he is just being honest about the situation. The whole buy out thing has gotten out of control. Screwing up teams chances of getting assets back in trades.

Dex
12-06-2021, 10:39 AM
These players today are brats. They want to get paid and be on a contender every year. Not calling Thad a brat, he is just being honest about the situation. The whole buy out thing has gotten out of control. Screwing up teams chances of getting assets back in trades.

Fair point. He may have just been overly honest, but he's not wrong...this probably ISN'T an ideal situation for him, and he certainly didn't ask for it.

As long as he keeps showing up to play and acts like a professional, maybe the Spurs can help improve that. If he starts pouting or whining to the media expecting a buyout, he's gonna make that much more difficult.

rjv
12-06-2021, 10:50 AM
it's not going to kill me if young goes and although it'd be nice to get something in return for him, i don't think he has all that much value at this time; perhaps that value would increase as we near the trade deadline. also, if collins returns by then, maybe he shows something that makes young even more expendable-even letting him go for nothing. also, have others have pointed out, young hasn't really moved the dial all that much as of late.

R. DeMurre
12-06-2021, 11:26 AM
If the Spurs had more established talent and were actually making a run for the playoffs, I'd advocate for Thad to start as a small ball center who promotes better ball movement than Poeltl, and then bring Poeltl off the bench to feast on back up centers-- something like Thad for the first 8 minutes of the first quarter, then Poeltl for the remaining 16 in the half, and then adjust in the second half depending on match ups and foul situations. But unfortunately, the Spurs aren't in that position at all, so the only thing that matters is developing future rotation players and getting ready for the next couple of seasons. I didn't expect the Spurs to win much this year, so their poor record doesn't mean anything in my view. But I think holding on to Thad to see what happens in the NBA landscape is the smart move. If a true contender loses a big before the trade deadline, Thad will be a very appealing trade target.

Mugen
12-06-2021, 11:36 AM
Fair point. He may have just been overly honest, but he's not wrong...this probably ISN'T an ideal situation for him, and he certainly didn't ask for it.

As long as he keeps showing up to play and acts like a professional, maybe the Spurs can help improve that. If he starts pouting or whining to the media expecting a buyout, he's gonna make that much more difficult.

Exactly - all he needs to do is praise the Spurs "culture" and that moron BWright and the old man will grant him a buyout no problem :lol

Who we kidding, either way he's getting bought out and the Spurs again don't get a damn thing in return

R. DeMurre
12-06-2021, 11:47 AM
For what it's worth, in this "off year" for Thad, here are some of his numbers:

ORtg 114 - DRtg 104
BPM: +3.0 (OBPM +1.3, DBPM +1.7)
+/- OnCourt per 100 poss: +1.9
+/- on/off court per 100 poss: +2.4

He doesn't perform as well in Fivethirtyeight's RAPTOR metrics, but is still top 6 on the team there, miles ahead of Eubanks, Forbes, and McDermott. The fact that many are saying McDermott was a good signing, but Thad is washed up is kinda crazy, as is the fact that Eubanks, Forbes, and McDermott are all getting more minutes too... unless of course that's part of a bigger plan & dreams of a top shelf lottery pick.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/y/youngth01.html
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/

Kevin
12-06-2021, 12:10 PM
Spurs might be able to get a couple protected second rounders but that's about it. Thad is simply making too much money (14.1 million) for teams to surrender additional assets to acquire his services. Its that simple.

lmbebo
12-06-2021, 12:24 PM
Hope in the next CBA they change the things around that if player wants out, they just null his contract. They need to walk away from it completely. Teams are eating full contracts to waive players, make players give up the money if they want to leave.

slick'81
12-06-2021, 12:33 PM

true but lma asked out while spurs were still winning. Pau asked out during a playoff push,and carroll didnt even make it through what December? I get only wanting to play for a "contender" but damn. Spurs are on a winning streak,and thad is anxious af to bolt.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-06-2021, 12:36 PM
Another player management failure in the making by Pop and Wright. :td

TDomination
12-06-2021, 01:02 PM
After listening to the podcast:

-He says he feels frustrated not playing more minutes but understands what the franchise is trying to do
-He says the trade caught him off guard because Bulls had just guaranteed his salary and told him a couple days before he would be staying there. He would've been fine with it if he had gotten some sort of heads up, he had to find out from social media.
-He says he's never had to deal with only playing 4 or 6 minutes a game and that is not an ideal situation for him.
-He says he's had conversations with the spurs about playing time but again understands that he knows that the young guys need to play, knows its a rebuilding situation.

He never says he wants out, not truly hints at it.
What he wants are minutes. which may be coming if he gets ahead of the rotation permanently ahead of Eubanks.

John B
12-06-2021, 01:11 PM
I like his plays on the court, and I thought he already talked with the coaching staff and understood. Why let his dirty laundry out there? Not very Spurs-man. As I said, the earlier they move him, the better and get Landale his minutes, and maybe to Zollins when he’s game ready.

KobesAchilles
12-06-2021, 01:19 PM
Dude got traded to SA from CHI. Of course he wants out.

KingKev
12-06-2021, 01:36 PM
I like his plays on the court, and I thought he already talked with the coaching staff and understood. Why let his dirty laundry out there? Not very Spurs-man. As I said, the earlier they move him, the better and get Landale his minutes, and maybe to Zollins when he’s game ready.

He has been asked the question multiple times. What do you expect him to say?

Mr. Body
12-06-2021, 02:18 PM
Another player management failure in the making by Pop and Wright. :td

:lol Why are posters on this board so stupid? :lol

John B
12-06-2021, 02:29 PM
He has been asked the question multiple times. What do you expect him to say?

It’s the media’s job to ask the questions. As I said not Spurs-man like. Besides that, Landale needs his minutes and he’s part of the future, not Thad.

Uriel
12-06-2021, 02:38 PM
Sensationalist thread title for a situation everybody already knows.

Joseph Kony
12-06-2021, 02:40 PM
After listening to the podcast:

-He says he feels frustrated not playing more minutes but understands what the franchise is trying to do
-He says the trade caught him off guard because Bulls had just guaranteed his salary and told him a couple days before he would be staying there. He would've been fine with it if he had gotten some sort of heads up, he had to find out from social media.
-He says he's never had to deal with only playing 4 or 6 minutes a game and that is not an ideal situation for him.
-He says he's had conversations with the spurs about playing time but again understands that he knows that the young guys need to play, knows its a rebuilding situation.

He never says he wants out, not truly hints at it.
What he wants are minutes. which may be coming if he gets ahead of the rotation permanently ahead of Eubanks.

This. People should actually listen to the podcast or read the interview instead of overreacting to him giving an honest answer to a question he was asked

He isn't demanding out, he isn't going to make a stink, and he isn't going to cause drama. I still think Spurs will eventually trade him at the deadline anyway

Allan Rowe vs Wade
12-06-2021, 02:53 PM
Thad: i want to play and i want to win
Spurstalk: :dramaquee

ginobilized
12-06-2021, 03:03 PM
I think the Spurs hold on to Thad until they see what Collins can do. Makes sense.
Depending on the Spurs record by the trade deadline, they trade him or, as is usually the case, he gets bought out.
I could see Thad as a great insurance policy for Draymond. Maybe there's a young player we could nab from them?

The Truth #6
12-06-2021, 03:05 PM
I think the FO tried to find the illusory middle ground and thought, hey, let’s keep Thad Young until we see Collins and go from there. That would have been ok if they had actually played Thad as a real rotation piece. So here we are. It’s not a blunder completely, but definitely played it cute and was bad from an asset management perspective, which we have to accept is not a priority for the team, oddly.

D-Robinson 50 fan
12-06-2021, 03:51 PM
This is old news that was reported on a week or two ago.

this most likely is the interview where the excerpt came from. Everything Thad stated makes sense and isn’t fucked up to say. This was also most likely recorded before his minutes increase, which I’m sure has pleased him and most importantly helped the team play better.

exstatic
12-06-2021, 04:47 PM
Spurs might be able to get a couple protected second rounders but that's about it. Thad is simply making too much money (14.1 million) for teams to surrender additional assets to acquire his services. Its that simple.

By the time the deadline rolls around, that will be about $3-4M, chump change for anyone who want to contend.

offset formation
12-06-2021, 11:07 PM
I mean this is part of why pop wasn't playing him tho. Doesn't make sense to play a guy who's not going to be here. Should have traded him. Before the season started but they also didn't want to give him away. I don't think he's going anywhere unless they make him part of a bigger deal and once the deadline comes he's getting bought out. Dude really should just stfu. He talks to the media way too much. He leaked the players meeting too.

Then you shouldn't have accepted the deal that included him. Piss poor front office dealings on display yet again. Are we still paying Demarre Carroll? Just finished with Pau.

What about Dante Cunningham or Quincy Pondexter which if you'll recall were like our biggest free agency signings and neither one played more than like 35 games.

Pure idiocy and lack of coordination between pop and the front office.

John B
12-07-2021, 12:33 AM
Then you shouldn't have accepted the deal that included him. Piss poor front office dealings on display yet again. Are we still paying Demarre Carroll? Just finished with Pau.

What about Dante Cunningham or Quincy Pondexter which if you'll recall were like our biggest free agency signings and neither one played more than like 35 games.

Thad is not meant to stay. Everybody knows that. He’s not part of the rebuilding team. He’s just a trade piece for a bigger fish or picks. So no comparison to players you mentioned.

MannyIsGod
12-07-2021, 02:25 AM

This is an incredibly bad take. You take the deal for the picks. Thad doesn't matter except bmsybe they flip him but otherwise whatever.

Kevin
12-07-2021, 03:05 PM
But 3-4 million for only two months of Thad Young really isn't chump change.

Its too bad it not like the MLB where teams can payoff some or all of the remaining salary of the outgoing player to get better assets back in return. In that trade world the Spurs would hold on to Thad until the deadline and ship him off for something worth while.

exstatic
12-07-2021, 03:52 PM

Its too bad it not like the MLB where teams can payoff some or all of the remaining salary of the outgoing player to get better assets back in return. In that trade world the Spurs would hold on to Thad until the deadline and ship him off for something worth while.

Contenders don’t worry about that kind of money. The lakers just took on 2/$91M for a clearly declining Westbrook, averaging 15/5/5.

exstatic
12-07-2021, 03:52 PM

Contenders don’t worry about that kind of money. The lakers just took on 2/$91M for a clearly declining Westbrook, averaging 15/5/5.

poopbox
12-08-2021, 08:53 AM
Is Thad hurt? He was playing then this story comes out then Eubanks is back to playing over him

EasyMoney
12-08-2021, 08:56 AM
Is Thad hurt? He was playing then this story comes out then Eubanks is back to playing over him

Well, he didn't do himself any favors by playing like trash against the sun's. The spurs need a legit backup center. They should play landale more and hope Collins can stay healthy

JeffDuncan
12-08-2021, 12:35 PM

Neither Eubanks nor Thad could handle Mitchell Robinson, which is probably why coach Thibs made the lineup change, to start Noel, and bring Robinson off the bench. It’s the first time Robinson has not started, this season.

Apparently Pop then decided that Eubanks should be the one to take the beating from Robinson, since Eubanks is so much younger, and better able to take the punishment.

No point in trying Thad there. He couldn’t handle Robinson, either.

It isn’t about social media. It’s about only having one 7’ center when you need two.

KingKev
12-08-2021, 12:48 PM
Neither Eubanks nor Thad could handle Mitchell Robinson, which is probably why coach Thibs made the lineup change, to start Noel, and bring Robinson off the bench. It’s the first time Robinson has not started, this season.

Apparently Pop then decided that Eubanks should be the one to take the beating from Robinson, since Eubanks is so much younger, and better able to take the punishment.

No point in trying Thad there. He couldn’t handle Robinson, either.

It isn’t about social media. It’s about only having one 7’ center when you need two.

The switch was made because Robinson’s conditioning has been an issue for him since returning from injury not for a strategic height advantage versus our backup bigs. Noel is 6’11 so height would have been a factor either way. But I agree Thad should only be playing the 5 when other teams go small ball and well Eubanks shouldn't be playing at all as he is a borderline NBA player.

John B
12-08-2021, 01:16 PM

Thad’s 33 on the 2nd night of a b2b. Spurs fan should know the answer to that already

JeffDuncan
12-08-2021, 01:43 PM
The switch was made because Robinson’s conditioning has been an issue for him since returning from injury not for a strategic height advantage versus our backup bigs. …

Nah. For one thing, look at how close the minutes are, 26 for Noel, and 22 for Robinson. If Thibs was really giving Robinson a break he would have played Noel 30+, the same as Randle, Burks, and Barrett.

There’s also the point that starting a player doesn’t necessarily mean giving him more minutes. Robinson could have started, as usual, and still played 22 minutes, or less. Fournier started, and he only played 21.

So no, it wasn’t any conditioning issue that made Thibs bring Robinson off the bench.

Noel would not have had as much of an advantage over our bench because he only weighs 220. Eubanks is heavier than that, and so is Thad. Weight matters, too. Heck, Diop is heavier than Noel.

Robinson came off the bench to play against the Spurs’ bench, mostly. It was a strategic move that paid off.

KingKev
12-08-2021, 02:20 PM
Nah. For one thing, look at how close the minutes are, 26 for Noel, and 22 for Robinson. If Thibs was really giving Robinson a break he would have played Noel 30+, the same as Randle, Burks, and Barrett.

There’s also the point that starting a player doesn’t necessarily mean giving him more minutes. Robinson could have started, as usual, and still played 22 minutes, or less. Fournier started, and he only played 21.

So no, it wasn’t any conditioning issue that made Thibs bring Robinson off the bench.

Noel would not have had as much of an advantage over our bench because he only weighs 220. Eubanks is heavier than that, and so is Thad. Weight matters, too. Heck, Diop is heavier than Noel.

Robinson came off the bench to play against the Spurs’ bench, mostly. It was a strategic move that paid off.

Thibs has mentioned his conditioning before the role change, Robinson acknowledged it himself and came out motivated. Additionally, Clyde Frazier discussed the change during the broadcast and pretty clearly communicated conditioning was the major reason he was moved to the bench and likely to see less playing time. If it was strategic, specific to the Spurs would he not be headed back to the starting lineup next game? Let’s see.

https://nypost.com/2021/12/07/tom-thibodeau-could-start-nerlens-noel-over-mitchell-robinson/amp/

JeffDuncan
12-08-2021, 03:33 PM
Thibs has mentioned his conditioning before the role change, Robinson acknowledged it himself and came out motivated. Additionally, Clyde Frazier discussed the change during the broadcast and pretty clearly communicated conditioning was the major reason he was moved to the bench and likely to see less playing time. …

All very nice, but it’s naive to imagine that teams will post everything they’re doing, and why, on Twitter.

Did Clyde Frazier identify the NBA rule which requires starters to play longer than bench players? Did he somehow account for Robinson, coming off the bench, playing more minutes than Fournier, who started?

Coaches can give players fewer minutes while still starting them. There is no NBA rule which says that if you want to give a player fewer minutes you have to move him to the bench.

Against the Spurs, Robinson was moved to the bench, instead of starting under a minutes restriction, to take best advantage of the Spurs weakness at center off the bench.

If it was strategic, specific to the Spurs would he not be headed back to the starting lineup next game? …

Against the Pacers, the Knicks will do whatever they think will work best against the Pacers. Robinson might start, he might come off the bench, or he might get the night off. That’s up to them.

KingKev
12-08-2021, 03:37 PM
All very nice, but it’s naive to imagine that teams will post everything they’re doing, and why, on Twitter.

Did Clyde Frazier identify the NBA rule which requires starters to play longer than bench players? Did he somehow account for Robinson, coming off the bench, playing more minutes than Fournier, who started?

Coaches can give players fewer minutes while still starting them. There is no NBA rule which says that if you want to give a player fewer minutes you have to move him to the bench.

Against the Spurs, Robinson was moved to the bench, instead of starting under a minutes restriction, to take best advantage of the Spurs weakness at center off the bench.

Against the Pacers, the Knicks will do whatever they think will work best against the Pacers. Robinson might start, he might come off the bench, or he might get the night off. That’s up to them.

nah

Chomag
12-08-2021, 08:29 PM
I wonder what a package of Young, and Lonnie could possibly net us?

Spurs Homer
12-08-2021, 09:04 PM
I wonder what a package of Young, Ewwwbanks,D White, and Forbes could possibly net us?

fify

KingKev
12-12-2021, 01:42 PM

dumbass

ducks
12-12-2021, 04:05 PM
Wish it was pop that wanted out !

JeffDuncan
12-12-2021, 05:11 PM
dumbass

Gosh, you’re a stupid dipshit. You just don’t have much brights.

But sure, go right on believing everything you read on Twitter. Dumbass.

RC_Drunkford
12-12-2021, 05:27 PM
Well Thad hasn’t played much ever since that interview

Robz4000
12-12-2021, 05:30 PM
Do PATFO buy out Young as a Christmas present to him?

JeffDuncan
12-12-2021, 05:50 PM
Well Thad hasn’t played much ever since that interview

The way the Spurs are, Thad is only useful as a small ball center. But the Spurs are lousy at small ball, being last in the league in 3pt attempts. They don’t have good minutes to give him.

It’d be best, I suppose, if they make a strong effort to trade him. Some teams could use him.

offset formation
12-12-2021, 06:05 PM
This is an incredibly bad take. You take the deal for the picks. Thad doesn't matter except bmsybe they flip him but otherwise whatever.

just saw this. you're naive as fuck if you think it doesn't matter. Not like we had a choice to trade DeMar, he was leaving anyway. And you think free agents aren't noticing? Yeah, we're getting some picks out of it... but there will undoubtedly be blowback for the way Pop has treated FAs for the past several years. You think given the opportunity to go to SA or another destination as a role player, FAs will be beating down the door to play for the Spurs? Yes, yes, come to SA, that sexy hip city where Pop might play you 35 games and mostly the last 3 minutes of blowouts, mostly the recieving end?

There's more to free agency than getting a pick. There's how you're benched once you're there. It's beyond parody how these guys have come in as the biggest signings of each off season and then largely ridden the pine on teams with downward win shares. Even the draft prowess they used to display is falling off the cliff lately. Not sure what a probable late first and second round pick over the next several years ate gonna get you that overcome the hit youve taken in the PR department for signing players you plan on benching.

KingKev
12-12-2021, 06:12 PM
The way the Spurs are, Thad is only useful as a small ball center. But the Spurs are lousy at small ball, being last in the league in 3pt attempts. They don’t have good minutes to give him.

It’d be best, I suppose, if they make a strong effort to trade him. Some teams could use him.

Insightful take moron. Maybe you should get twitter because this original take you just pondered has been what the entire NBA community has been pondering for months.

offset formation
12-12-2021, 06:14 PM

This should have been done already. Now they have yet another PR hit and a less valuable asset than the day he was acquired. Just a piss poor display of player management from top to bottom in the PATFO world. And it's become a common theme. Just pathetic.

Teamduncan21
12-12-2021, 07:20 PM
They only get offered 2nd round. It's not really relevant from a macro perspective. Let's say he left and we did t get anything. So we lost a second round and that smith guy. Not really game changing

8FOR!3
12-12-2021, 08:34 PM
I actually kind of understand his frustration. We traded for him and are letting him sit on the bench a lot and it's not due to his play. Even at his age he has a reputation as a starter in the league and at his age one wasted season could cause a downward trajectory. I'd rather him not talk about it bc it becomes a distraction but at the end of the day he's not really dogging anybody he's just saying he isn't in love with his situation. He's good enough where if we really want to make a push for the play in I'd consistently give him minutes, but if we want to go young and not do it then I think we should just cut him. He's not at the point in his career where he wants to be the end of the bench old guy and I don't blame him bc he can still play.

I really don't understand why he's not the backup center at this point. Eubanks is what he is and I like him but he's not a big piece of the rebuild, he's a serviceable backup at best. I'd understand more if those minutes were going to like Landale or a healthy Collins. Maybe we think Collins is the backup when he gets back.

JeffDuncan
12-12-2021, 09:21 PM
I’m feeble minded.

Well, do the best you can with what little you’ve got.

RC_Drunkford
12-12-2021, 09:24 PM
I actually kind of understand his frustration. We traded for him and are letting him sit on the bench a lot and it's not due to his play. Even at his age he has a reputation as a starter in the league and at his age one wasted season could cause a downward trajectory. I'd rather him not talk about it bc it becomes a distraction but at the end of the day he's not really dogging anybody he's just saying he isn't in love with his situation. He's good enough where if we really want to make a push for the play in I'd consistently give him minutes, but if we want to go young and not do it then I think we should just cut him. He's not at the point in his career where he wants to be the end of the bench old guy and I don't blame him bc he can still play.

I really don't understand why he's not the backup center at this point. Eubanks is what he is and I like him but he's not a big piece of the rebuild, he's a serviceable backup at best. I'd understand more if those minutes were going to like Landale or a healthy Collins. Maybe we think Collins is the backup when he gets back.

Young took Eubanks spot, then he came out with that interview right after. You know dictatorvich ain’t havin it

KingKev
12-12-2021, 09:41 PM
Well, do the best you can with what little you’ve got.

I just had a genius supposition. We should trade Thad Young because other teams will want him and I also realized he is an expiring veteran contract!

JeffDuncan
12-12-2021, 09:52 PM
This should have been done already. …

He can’t be traded for a free agent before Dec 15 (or later in some cases.) Being unable to trade him for a free agent leaves out a lot of possibilities.

Now they have yet another PR hit and a less valuable asset than the day he was acquired. …

Neither Young or the Spurs are important enough at the moment to be fretting about the PR of his situation. The more active fans of the Spurs are aware of this, but hardly anybody else is.

His contract is expiring, so he becomes more desirable as the amount he’s owed becomes less. Should make him easier to trade as a little more time goes by. The trade deadline is Feb 10.

JeffDuncan
12-12-2021, 09:54 PM
Have you noticed I’m an idiot?

Yes.

offset formation
12-12-2021, 09:58 PM
He can’t be traded for a free agent before Dec 15 (or later in some cases.) Being unable to trade him for a free agent leaves out a lot of possibilities.

Neither Young or the Spurs are important enough at the moment to be fretting about the PR of his situation. The more active fans of the Spurs are aware of this, but hardly anybody else is.

His contract is expiring, so he becomes more desirable as the amount he’s owed becomes less. Should make him easier to trade as a little more time goes by. The trade deadline is Feb 10.

Not talking about the fans. I'm talking about other FAs and their agents who most certainly will be aware of the past several FAs to sign here and their PT. And the lack of any future contracts after a year of falling off the radar down here. Also, as for his trade availability, I was talking about turning himaround prior to the season starting, not after the trade deadline. Again, all theyve done is deplete his value and piss off a seasoned vet. That sort of thing will catch up with the team if it hasnt already.

exstatic
12-12-2021, 10:08 PM
just saw this. you're naive as fuck if you think it doesn't matter. Not like we had a choice to trade DeMar, he was leaving anyway. And you think free agents aren't noticing? Yeah, we're getting some picks out of it... but there will undoubtedly be blowback for the way Pop has treated FAs for the past several years. You think given the opportunity to go to SA or another destination as a role player, FAs will be beating down the door to play for the Spurs? Yes, yes, come to SA, that sexy hip city where Pop might play you 35 games and mostly the last 3 minutes of blowouts, mostly the recieving end?

There's more to free agency than getting a pick. There's how you're benched once you're there. It's beyond parody how these guys have come in as the biggest signings of each off season and then largely ridden the pine on teams with downward win shares. Even the draft prowess they used to display is falling off the cliff lately. Not sure what a probable late first and second round pick over the next several years ate gonna get you that overcome the hit youve taken in the PR department for signing players you plan on benching.

Why are you babbling about free agency in a thread about Thad young, dumbass? He came over in a trade. Newsflash: CBA requirements about salary matching mean that almost every trade has player(s) that one or more of the teams don’t want. You not understanding that, AND calling someone else naive is the absolute death of irony.

KingKev
12-12-2021, 10:11 PM

What free agents are there currently you dumb fuck? Thad can be traded at anytime. He was not a free agent signing, he was acquired via trade and was/is immediately trade-able.

offset formation
Why are you babbling about free agency in a thread about Thad young, dumbass? He came over in a trade. Newsflash: CBA requirements about salary matching mean that almost every trade has player(s) that one or more of the teams don’t want. You not understanding that, AND calling someone else naive is the absolute death of irony.

i was combining the complete failures of PATFO fuckface. try to keep up by reading back in this thread rather than responding to one post. And if we didnt want him, WTF didnt we move him? Remember all those Thad for a first posts in the Demar being traded thread? Or maybe you don't shit for brains.

exstatic
Young took Eubanks spot, then he came out with that interview right after. You know dictatorvich ain’t havin it

Young sucked donkey dicks as soon as his minutes and role increased. He was better in spot minutes.

exstatic
12-12-2021, 10:13 PM
i was combining the complete failures of PATFO fuckface. try to keep up by reading back in this thread rather than responding to one post.

Try to keep up with the thread subject, cockmunch.

offset formation
12-12-2021, 10:16 PM
Try to keep up with the thread subject, cockmunch.

ok sniffer. right after you acknowledge the idea was that PATFO was going to move him for a first to PHX or UTH or MEM.

cd98
12-12-2021, 10:47 PM
At this point, Spurs just hoping to use him as filler in a trade.

spurraider21
12-12-2021, 10:54 PM
He has a life threatening case of not being over himself

MI21
12-12-2021, 11:40 PM
Young sucked donkey dicks as soon as his minutes and role increased. He was better in spot minutes.

Was it not exactly the opposite? He played pretty well offensively when given a role. Defensively, I've been disappointed.

JeffDuncan
12-13-2021, 12:01 AM
Allow me to inform you that I am a moron.

Noted.

John B
12-13-2021, 12:05 AM
I have a feeling he will be traded soon and Spurs are not risking any injury. I think we’ll be seeing more of Landale as a result and why he’s been in and out of G League to get a better feel of the NBA game and to be in game shape.

JeffDuncan
12-13-2021, 12:29 AM
Not talking about the fans. I'm talking about other FAs and their agents who most certainly will be aware of the past several FAs to sign here and their PT. …

Oh, I doubt it. Players don’t keep track of every other player in the league, nor do their agents.

But what are these other FA signings by the Spurs, that you have in mind?

Zach Collins has no complaint. The Spurs signed him when he couldn’t even play.

Diop has no complaint. He was nearly out of the NBA.

The Spurs paid Lyles more than he was worth, and played him more than he was worth. You think other free agents will be appalled by that?

So again, who are you talking about?

… Also, as for his trade availability, I was talking about turning himaround prior to the season starting, not after the trade deadline. …

As I already pointed out, he can’t be traded for a free agent on another team until Dec 15, or later. It would be unwise to dismiss all those possibilities.

Or are you absolutely certain Thad can’t be traded for a free agent from another team? What makes you so sure?

Again, all theyve done is deplete his value …

Again, not true.

Slippy
12-13-2021, 06:26 AM

Ya that interview came out earlier. Media days later including spurs talk. They played some of their best ball then.

President pop doesnt like the attention . Thad in the doghouse. Its so petty. There's nothing wrong with what he said. A competitor that wants to play the game he loves nearing the end of the prime part of his career . You can understand why.

Degoat
12-13-2021, 11:25 AM
Wasn’t going to make a thread about and it’s not Thad young relevant but Shams mentioned that teams will be interested in spurs Bryn Forbes at the trade deadline. Would be sweet to get an asset for him, might be why he isnt playing as much

TDomination
12-13-2021, 11:42 AM
Wasn’t going to make a thread about and it’s not Thad young relevant but Shams mentioned that teams will be interested in spurs Bryn Forbes at the trade deadline. Would be sweet to get an asset for him, might be why he isnt playing as much

Wow, i wonder who wants forbes lol

But that would be great. Forbes/Young for picks or hopefully a competent 4 would be great!

itzsoweezee
12-13-2021, 11:43 AM

If the Spurs trade Forbes I will be ecstatic. I just can’t see it happening to Pop’s favorite pet.

Degoat
12-13-2021, 11:50 AM
Wow, i wonder who wants forbes lol

But that would be great. Forbes/Young for picks or hopefully a competent 4 would be great!

Just at the top of my head, whoever ends up trading for Simmons will need lots of shooters, that could be a potential destination for Forbes whoever gets Simmons lol

KingKev
12-13-2021, 12:00 PM
Oh, I doubt it. Players don’t keep track of every other player in the league, nor do their agents.

The Spurs paid Lyles more than he was worth, and played him more than he was worth. You think other free agents will be appalled by that?

As I already pointed out, he can’t be traded for a free agent on another team until Dec 15, or later. It would be unwise to dismiss all those possibilities.

Or are you absolutely certain Thad can’t be traded for a free agent from another team? What makes you so sure?

Again, not true.

How dumb are you? If they are signed to another team they are not free agents. There is no moratorium on when we can trade Thad because he was not a free agent signing. We acquired him from Chicago in the DDR trade. He was still under contract when we traded for him.

exstatic
12-13-2021, 12:02 PM

Forbes has to green light any deal, since he’s on a one year contract.

exstatic
12-13-2021, 12:04 PM
How dumb are you? If they are signed to another team they are not free agents. There is no moratorium on when we can trade Thad because he was not a free agent signing. We acquired him from Chicago in the DDR trade. He was still under contract when we traded for him.

I think they are referring to potential return players. Right now, only 65% of players are eligible to be traded. In like 2 days, that becomes 84%, and the Spurs have more options/ teams to move him.

exstatic
12-13-2021, 12:06 PM
If the Spurs trade Forbes I will be ecstatic. I just can’t see it happening to Pop’s favorite pet.

Was so favored that they gave him the boot 2 summers ago. You guys need some new material.

itzsoweezee
12-13-2021, 12:28 PM
Was so favored that they gave him the boot 2 summers ago. You guys need some new material.

And brought him back to a young, rebuilding team, already full of guards.

Sure guy, it’s all in our imagination

buttsR4rebounding
12-13-2021, 01:05 PM
And brought him back to a young, rebuilding team, already full of guards.

Sure guy, it’s all in our imagination

Pop isn't overplaying Forbes. He has 12 games with over 15 minutes, but a number of those Forbes played the 4th quarter of games the Spurs were being blown out. I think there will be a market for a career 41.5% 3pt shooter that is shooting better than his career average on a cheap contract with championship experience. Hell, that may have been the plan all along to send him to a contender at the trade deadline. If so, an incredibly shrewd move by Wright. Time will tell.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-13-2021, 01:16 PM
Thad's played well enough in his time on the court to show that he could still help another team. No reason to give him away or release him at this point, as he could still net something in return. I still don't think Pop utilizes him as well as he could, but Young hasn't exactly torn it up when he's out there to earn more minutes, either. I've seen him hit perhaps one shot from outside of 6 feet.

JeffDuncan
12-13-2021, 03:07 PM
It’s just a sad fact that I’m feeble minded.

These things happen.

JeffDuncan
12-13-2021, 03:15 PM
I think they are referring to potential return players. Right now, only 65% of players are eligible to be traded. In like 2 days, that becomes 84%, and the Spurs have more options/ teams to move him.

Right, of course.

Spurs9
12-13-2021, 03:31 PM
Why did we even go for him and Collins to waste money on roster spots for them?

Kevin
12-13-2021, 03:36 PM
Thad's played well enough in his time on the court to show that he could still help another team. No reason to give him away or release him at this point, as he could still net something in return. I still don't think Pop utilizes him as well as he could, but Young hasn't exactly torn it up when he's out there to earn more minutes, either. I've seen him hit perhaps one shot from outside of 6 feet.

He's still not worth more than a matching contract and some second rounders. The best hope the FO has at getting anything of worth is as a third team facilitator.

Chomag
12-13-2021, 03:51 PM
Yep, it does look like our authoritarian head coach is just flexing his muscles.
Young is not a rookie, or a scrub. He is a proven good player with only a couple of years left in his Prime. I know I would be pissed if I was in his situation, and Pop doing this is only making matters worse.

So much for treating players right, I guess that only applies if you are a scrub. I hope Pop's BS doesn't mess this up anymore then what it is because how in the world would any player want to come here going forward after stunts like this.

Dejounte
12-13-2021, 06:00 PM
Forbes trade rumors are exactly the type of tease this fanbase needs next. First, it was the Wiseman tease. Next, it was the John Collins tease. After that, it was all the 2021 draft trade up speculation tease. Finally, all the tease from trading away Murray or White during the summer. Let’s add one more to the list to let the fan base get their hopes up and get disappointed once again.

slick'81
12-13-2021, 06:49 PM
Forbes trade rumors are exactly the type of tease this fanbase needs next. First, it was the Wiseman tease. Next, it was the uJohn Collins tease. After that, it was all the 2021 draft trade up speculation tease. Finally, all the tease from trading away Murray or White during the summer. Let’s add one more to the list to let the fan base get their hopes up and get disappointed once again.

Yea, forbes being a trade asset or some mystery team eyeing him is complete bs:rollin

Dverde
12-13-2021, 10:48 PM
Yea, forbes being a trade asset or some mystery team eyeing him is complete bs:rollin

Patty wants his sidekick with him in Brooklyn.

Dex
12-13-2021, 11:00 PM
Forbes trade rumors are exactly the type of tease this fanbase needs next. First, it was the Wiseman tease. Next, it was the John Collins tease. After that, it was all the 2021 draft trade up speculation tease. Finally, all the tease from trading away Murray or White during the summer. Let’s add one more to the list to let the fan base get their hopes up and get disappointed once again.

Or you could just take it at face value for what it is: speculation.

This team doesn't make mid-season trades. If you don't expect much, you won't be disappointed.

The Truth #6
12-13-2021, 11:12 PM

The search for villains and saviors will continue…

offset formation
12-13-2021, 11:13 PM

Again, not true.

You think that the aging role player FAs and their player representatives (that we rely on heavily) haven't noticed how Pop did Demarre Carroll, Quincy Pondexter, Dante Cunningham, etc (Luka, Landale) not to mention how he has primarily played like a 9 or 10 man rotation despite clearly rebuilding.

The Bruce Bowen, LaMarcus Aldridge, Danny Green, Avery Johnson, Robert Horry, Michael Finley, Malik Roses, and uninjured Rudy Gays are NOT banging down our doors to come here. No, we now get Carroll, Pondexter, and Cunningham and them pop plays them 35 games. And they were our best signings over the past three years, yet still couldn't buy more than 35 games, lol. Why even sign them?

I actually pity the fact you're being this dense about this. A player's agents job is to get them a good paycheck and into a position to get another paycheck after that. And that doesn't happen when the team you have your client sign with rides the bench. And if they weren't good enough to sign,then don't fucking sign them, and play your gleague talent or that from other teams and go get you some top 3 draft picks. this isn't hard.

Also, why the fuck do you keep suggesting Thad couldn't be traded until Dec 15th? I think at least 2 others in this thread have told you that's not correct. They had a window before he was signed to continue moving him. In fact, supposedly, at least three teams had offered or were considering offering a pick for him, up to a first (see PHX rumor mill especially).

At the end of the day you're simply defending incompetence and mediocrity from PATFO.

And yes, now Thad's value is less than the day we acquired him. Only a blind man doesn't see that. And it won't get better as he rides the pine. Well be lucky to get a mid-second for him after the 15th at this point. This isn't rocket science.

Seventyniner
12-13-2021, 11:16 PM
Even if the December 15 thing doesn't apply to Thad, it applies to enough other players around the league that I would expect an uptick in trade talk between teams starting on the 15th.

JeffDuncan
12-14-2021, 02:39 AM
You think that the aging role player FAs and their player representatives (that we rely on heavily) haven't noticed how Pop did Demarre Carroll, Quincy Pondexter, Dante Cunningham, etc (Luka, Landale) not to mention how he has primarily played like a 9 or 10 man rotation despite clearly rebuilding.

The main abuse Pop heaped on those older vets was to pay them when nobody else would. Lol. Yeah, that’ll scare away free agents, if you give them too much money.

The Bruce Bowen, LaMarcus Aldridge, Danny Green, Avery Johnson, Robert Horry, Michael Finley, Malik Roses, and uninjured Rudy Gays are NOT banging down our doors to come here. …

Especially not the retired ones. Are you a stable person?

No, we now get Carroll, Pondexter, and Cunningham and them pop plays them 35 games. …

Those guys aren’t on the team “now.”

What’s your actual complaint? That the Spurs didn’t get Collins from the Hawks? Or something like that?

The best free agents are in demand, and hard to get. This is news?

I actually pity the fact you're being this dense about this. …

Trying to communicate with somebody who’s dense can be a problem, no doubt about it.

A player's agents job is to get them a good paycheck and into a position to get another paycheck after that. And that doesn't happen when the team you have your client sign with rides the bench. And if they weren't good enough to sign,then don't fucking sign them, …

Yes, the Spurs have signed players they shouldn’t have, from time to time. This becomes clear in hindsight, tho. You have a crystal ball to share?

Also, why the fuck do you keep suggesting Thad couldn't be traded until Dec 15th? …

Why the fuck are you not able to make an honest effort to read what I actually write? Are you only semiliterate? Are you fundamentally dishonest?

The thing is, if Thad is to be traded, he has to be traded to some other team, and the Spurs have to get a player, or some other tradable thing in return. That is how it works.

Why am I having to tell you this? You should know this.

There will be more trade possibilities after Dec 15. An obstinate insistence on trading Thad now could make you miss out on a better trade later.

Do you follow?

I’ve no idea what the Spurs will end up doing, and neither do you. But if they do trade him, I’d hope it will be when they have the greatest number of possibilities to consider.

Don’t you think that’s wise?

(see PHX rumor mill especially).

Oh please. Now you are just pulling my leg.

At the end of the day you're simply defending incompetence and mediocrity from PATFO.

At the end of the day you’re as dumb as you were in the morning.

And yes, now Thad's value is less than the day we acquired him. …

No, it isn’t.

John B
12-14-2021, 06:46 AM
Counting the days Thad gets traded and give the opportunity to Landale. On that same thought, any market for Ewwbanks? :lol Seriously, with all the big names rumored out there, Simmons, Sabonis, Turner, Grant, PATFO will announce someone unheard of, MVP from whatever league, who ST would bitch about for a week :depressed:lol before finally consoling after 4 pages of thread… btw the Lakers could be having a fire sale to get into the trade circus, any interest on THT? :lol

XDT76
12-14-2021, 07:25 AM
Counting the days Thad gets traded and give the opportunity to Landale. On that same thought, any market for Ewwbanks? :lol Seriously, with all the big names rumored out there, Simmons, Sabonis, Turner, Grant, PATFO will announce someone unheard of, MVP from whatever league, who ST would bitch about for a week :depressed:lol before finally consoling after 4 pages of thread… btw the Lakers could be having a fire sale to get into the trade circus, any interest on THT? :lol

Actually with the guys u named being available, probably Young does not get a look. Unless Indiana is looking to lose salary then we might be able to trade colins and young for Turner or Sabonis.

John B
12-14-2021, 10:43 AM
Actually with the guys u named being available, probably Young does not get a look. Unless Indiana is looking to lose salary then we might be able to trade colins and young for Turner or Sabonis.
Hey Turner would be a great upgrade on our defense. But who’s coming off the bench? I bet Poeltl wouldn’t like that.

I’d throw in Keldon’s rookie contract to get Sabonis tbh

exstatic
12-14-2021, 11:36 AM

The guys available list would be too pricey for most contenders, who just want stretch run help for their benches. Sabonis alone, as a 25 YO multi select All star, will commend multiple firsts or high trajectory young players on rookie deals. Most contenders also don’t want to break up their rotation to send back contracts for a Sabonis or a Turner.

KingKev
12-14-2021, 12:16 PM
https://www.kens5.com/article/sports/nba/spurs/report-spurs-linked-suns-jalen-smith-suns-young-nba-san-antonio/273-e4372511-c8ee-46fb-9d66-c49e1502d7ed

Not sure if this is just regurgitated from the summer/preseason but this better come with a 23’ FRP if we are eating Saric also.

Degoat
12-14-2021, 12:38 PM
https://www.kens5.com/article/sports/nba/spurs/report-spurs-linked-suns-jalen-smith-suns-young-nba-san-antonio/273-e4372511-c8ee-46fb-9d66-c49e1502d7ed

Not sure if this is just regurgitated from the summer/preseason but this better come with a 23’ FRP if we are eating Saric also.

Thanks for sharing the link! I don’t love the deal but I do think Saric would be a solid addition to next years team lol I don’t feel like there’s gonna be much of a market for Thad Young unless the spurs get lucky and use him as salary filler for a 3+ team trade or something

exstatic
12-14-2021, 02:42 PM
:lol. Jalen smith? Again? They thought so much of him that the didn’t pick up his year 3 option. Their FRP is already spoken for, but will likely convey to OKC, so unless they make another trade, their 2024 FRP should be available.

CGD
12-14-2021, 03:30 PM

It is. Basically the award winning journalism of KENS produced an article that links to Bleacher Report, which, based on its own world-class investigative journalism, muses w/o citing a new source that:

"The Phoenix Suns are attempting to move Jalen Smith, and the San Antonio Spurs have been frequently linked as a suitor. Phoenix is rumored to have strong interest in acquiring Thaddeus Young from the Spurs."

XDT76
12-14-2021, 04:11 PM
The guys available list would be too pricey for most contenders, who just want stretch run help for their benches. Sabonis alone, as a 25 YO multi select All star, will commend multiple firsts or high trajectory young players on rookie deals. Most contenders also don’t want to break up their rotation to send back contracts for a Sabonis or a Turner.

With a lot of teams out of FRP. You are probably right. Maybe 76ers or Trailblazers will find a way to trade with them maybe a 3 teams trade. Less likely for 76ers because of Embiid.

John B
12-15-2021, 12:25 PM
Is Spurs moving Thad today? I would trade Thad’s vet experience and expiring contract, Olympic gold medalist Keldon and his rookie contract, Bulls 1st, Spurs 2nd pick for any of Sabonis, Grant, Simmons or Turner. I will try to hold on to Lonnie if possible but he’s the next one to go if necessary. Let’s go! :lol

Degoat
12-15-2021, 12:32 PM
I unfortunately think most trades won’t happen till the deadline like usual

jermaine
12-15-2021, 12:41 PM
I unfortunately think most trades won’t happen till the deadline like usual

slick'81
12-15-2021, 12:42 PM
Is Spurs moving Thad today? I would trade Thad’s vet experience and expiring contract, Olympic gold medalist Keldon and his rookie contract, Bulls 1st, Spurs 2nd pick for any of Sabonis, Grant, Simmons or Turner. I will try to hold on to Lonnie if possible but he’s the next one to go if necessary. Let’s go! :lol

:rollinNo

MannyIsGod
12-15-2021, 06:32 PM
Spurs should definitely be trying to get Sabonis if he's on the market, imo.

exstatic
12-15-2021, 06:37 PM
Spurs should definitely be trying to get Sabonis if he's on the market, imo.

He’s a multi select All Star, so the price will be high, like Primo/Vassell/picks or pick swaps. They’re not going to want our topped out late first rounders.

Atl Spur
12-15-2021, 06:38 PM
See what you have in Collins first.....

wildbill2u
12-15-2021, 06:48 PM
Spurs will probably let him go if someone will pick up his contract???? He played OK when he came back for a few games and has been mostly sitting since then, probably because he wants out. Coaches have no reason to try to fit a guy into the rotation unless he is staying or is going to show so much talent that another team will have to/want to have him. Meanwhile, I'm Ok with him sitting around the far end of the bench while we try to develop some players who might want to stay here.

Mugen
12-15-2021, 07:04 PM
See what you have in Collins first.....

:lol

exstatic
12-15-2021, 08:36 PM
Spurs will probably let him go if someone will pick up his contract???? He played OK when he came back for a few games and has been mostly sitting since then, probably because he wants out. Coaches have no reason to try to fit a guy into the rotation unless he is staying or is going to show so much talent that another team will have to/want to have him. Meanwhile, I'm Ok with him sitting around the far end of the bench while we try to develop some players who might want to stay here.

Actually, he played well in limited minutes, but when they ramped up into the 20s, his play suffered. Support guys need to realize that they’re support guys, and not try to do too much.

John B
12-15-2021, 08:56 PM
I like Thad until that story came out. He actually played well, facilitates, rebounds and hassled. But again he’s not part of the rebuilding team and his minutes need to go to Landale who is part of the future. But to a contender, Thad is a valuable veteran presence cheap and who will just contribute and not a head-case.

I’m sure Pop is not playing him because he already showed enough, and not wanting to risk any injury.

jermaine
12-16-2021, 02:25 PM
By no means I'm saying Landle is a better player than Thad, but for this team... Landle is better than Thad.

Degoat
12-16-2021, 11:36 PM
Didn’t see this talked about, it’s seems like it’s more of the same that we already know but Thad Young was on Chris Haynes “Posted Up,” Podcast today and talked about how he’s wanting a trade

MannyIsGod
12-17-2021, 01:15 AM
I'm sick of this motherfucker honestly.

Chomag
12-17-2021, 01:00 PM
As I have said earlier that I can understand his frustrations and he just has no fit on this current team, however I agree that he needs to STFU.

BatManu20
12-17-2021, 01:17 PM

Dverde
12-17-2021, 01:37 PM
Never heard someone “not be bothered” by not getting a phone call before the trade is leaked as Thad. “It would have been nice…” we get it, but quit whining about it…he’s almost like Demar crying in the Jack in a Box parking lot. Bulls were terrible last year and he is complaining about wanting to play for a contender now. If they didn’t trade you and ran it back that team would be terrible again.

Dejounte
12-17-2021, 03:30 PM
It starts with his wife. Dude is being pressured by her. You can see how vocal she is on twitter.

Dverde
12-17-2021, 04:07 PM
It starts with his wife. Dude is being pressured by her. You can see how vocal she is on twitter.

Lol she is responding to trolls. If she is that thin skinned, I hope she never finds this site :lol

Leetonidas
12-17-2021, 04:28 PM
I initially thought this guy was a consummate professional and now he's constantly whining about his playing time and crying about a trade? Dude, we wanted Lauri over your ass too. Trade this guy already

duncan2150
12-17-2021, 04:39 PM

he did not need his wife to be pissed about his playing time. The guy is playing behind eubanks for god sake !

Dex
12-17-2021, 04:56 PM

You usually have good takes Dejounte, but this is not among them.

Who gives a shit what his wife thinks or what she spouts on Twitter?

You know who especially DOESN'T care....the Spurs coaching staff. This is actually the kind of thing that will get you buried DEEPER on the bench.

I actually had hopes that Thad could become a decent player for us or, at the very least, a worthwhile asset....but dude needs to learn to keep his mouth shut at this point, especially when he is playing like ass every time he touches the floor.

PhantomDashCam
12-17-2021, 05:21 PM
Spurs have a tendency at times to overvalue and underplay their assets. Thad is the strange player who actually seems to fit into both categories.
In another case of bizarro world Spurs culture, doesn't it seem like the veterans are the ones who have done most of the complaining lately?

Dejounte
12-17-2021, 08:35 PM
You usually have good takes Dejounte, but this is not among them.

Who gives a shit what his wife thinks or what she spouts on Twitter?

You know who especially DOESN'T care....the Spurs coaching staff. This is actually the kind of thing that will get you buried DEEPER on the bench.

I actually had hopes that Thad could become a decent player for us or, at the very least, a worthwhile asset....but dude needs to learn to keep his mouth shut at this point, especially when he is playing like ass every time he touches the floor.

All I was suggesting was that Thad has someone in his ear influencing him to say or do stupid things. Wasn’t it a commonly held belief that Nephew had his uncle in his ear which was the primary reason he was an asshole towards the end? I’m not taking away any accountability from Thad— it’s his choice in the end to run his mouth. I’m merely saying that sometimes there’s a bad guy behind the bad guy.

Dverde
12-17-2021, 08:52 PM
The PATFO thing to do now is to play Thad in garbage time and he gets hurt. He should be at home in bubble wrap right now.

Dex
12-17-2021, 09:00 PM
All I was suggesting was that Thad has someone in his ear influencing him to say or do stupid things. Wasn’t it a commonly held belief that Nephew had his uncle in his ear which was the primary reason he was an asshole towards the end? I’m not taking away any accountability from Thad— it’s his choice in the end to run his mouth. I’m merely saying that sometimes there’s a bad guy behind the bad guy.

Fair enough. We are all influenced by people in our lives, whether it is a wife, father, mother, uncle, etc.

Like you said...it all comes back on Thad, and Thad is not really acting like a professional when he keeps chirping to the media or on Twitter.

KingKev
12-17-2021, 10:31 PM

You sound like the chick from Gossip Girl. Xoxo

XDT76
12-17-2021, 11:58 PM
Fair enough. We are all influenced by people in our lives, whether it is a wife, father, mother, uncle, etc.

Like you said...it all comes back on Thad, and Thad is not really acting like a professional when he keeps chirping to the media or on Twitter.

Yap even Bogut also tell Landale regarding his lack of playing time, "I can question it but you can't". Don't understand why Youing starts complaining as he starts getting regular playing time (he was in front of Eubanks when Poeltl first came back), probably he and his wife wants out of the city and use PT as an excuse.

exstatic
12-18-2021, 11:18 AM
Dude cries in another interview, Jock gets the minutes. :lol

The Truth #6
12-18-2021, 12:17 PM
I'm not hyperfocusing on this issue. I heard about a podcast that he commented he would like to be traded, vaguely. I mean, the Spurs aren't exactly prioritizing him. Trading him is super obvious. But it sounds like he's upped the complaining? Anyone have any actual details?

slick'81
12-18-2021, 12:23 PM
Hes digging his own grave and wont see the floor anymore unless pop has no choice. Hey, if it finally gets jock minutes then fucking great!

Dverde
12-18-2021, 12:27 PM
I'm not hyperfocusing on this issue. I heard about a podcast that he commented he would like to be traded, vaguely. I mean, the Spurs aren't exactly prioritizing him. Trading him is super obvious. But it sounds like he's upped the complaining? Anyone have any actual details?
He’s not really complaining just whining about The Bulls giving him assurances then not giving him a heads up on the trade. He always says Spurs roster are great teammates. Talks about how frustrating it is to play limited (probably when you know your better than the players getting minutes) and trying to stay motivated to keep working out hard. Says Spurs kinda told him their plan was to play youth and he’s too old for a rebuild. He declined to say whether he would demand a buy out if not traded. Cross that bridge when it comes….

poopbox
12-18-2021, 02:01 PM
Thad Young been in the league forever and I aint never heard a gripe out of him or about him...

He come to SA and now he trying to Uncle Dennis his way out of here by the all star break :lol

exstatic
12-18-2021, 02:52 PM
He’s not really complaining just whining about The Bulls giving him assurances then not giving him a heads up on the trade. He always says Spurs roster are great teammates. Talks about how frustrating it is to play limited (probably when you know your better than the players getting minutes) and trying to stay motivated to keep working out hard. Says Spurs kinda told him their plan was to play youth and he’s too old for a rebuild. He declined to say whether he would demand a buy out if not traded. Cross that bridge when it comes….

The best way to get a good buyout is to be chill about it. If you DEMAND one, your bargaining position is weak for how much money you have to surrender to be waived before the playoff roster deadline.

John B
12-18-2021, 04:05 PM
Landale is here to stay. Spurs type of game favors a stretch big to open the lanes for our slashers, especially for Keldon and Lonnie. And Landale’s effective plays last night should warrant him meaningful minutes. Thad’s one foot out the door.

offset formation
12-18-2021, 06:54 PM
Landale is here to stay. Spurs type of game favors a stretch big to open the lanes for our slashers, especially for Keldon and Lonnie. And Landale’s effective plays last night should warrant him meaningful minutes. Thad’s one foot out the door.

Make sure to tell Pop about his obvious ignorance because history says he gets very few minutes over the next 54 games then bolts elsewhere in the off-season.

CGD
12-21-2021, 11:24 AM
I know Suns have been linked to Thad, but the other place that I think could use him to beef up their bench is Memphis. Basically to replace SlowMo. Not to mention they ahve like 3 FRPs in each of the next two seasons.

Something like:

MEM: Thad + Bryn
SAS: SlowMo contract + Culivers contract + Aldma + worst of 2022 FRPs

rjv
12-21-2021, 12:23 PM
I know Suns have been linked to Thad, but the other place that I think could use him to beef up their bench is Memphis. Basically to replace SlowMo. Not to mention they ahve like 3 FRPs in each of the next two seasons.

Something like:

MEM: Thad + Bryn
SAS: SlowMo contract + Culivers contract + Aldma + worst of 2022 FRPs

i haven't been paying too much attention to fathead 1.0. is KA back to being the KA we all pulled our hair out over?

exstatic
12-21-2021, 01:24 PM
They have KA, jaren J, and Clarke. They’re not giving us a FRP for Young.

ginobilized
12-21-2021, 01:41 PM
I can still imagine a GS scenario for Thad. He'd be a great backup for Draymond for spot mins in the playoffs.
Wiseman might even be on the table, just an option that I see. No facts to back this up.

offset formation
12-21-2021, 01:44 PM
i haven't been playing too much attention to fathead 1.0. is KA back to being the KA we all pulled our hair out over?

I read they were like 9-11 with Ja and are like 9-2 or something without him though they won last night in his return. KA couldn't have been playing all that bad to have that kind of record without their best player.

CGD
12-21-2021, 01:51 PM
i haven't been playing too much attention to fathead 1.0. is KA back to being the KA we all pulled our hair out over?

He'd just be salary ballast honestly, and could be a buy out guy. He's on a 9-10M expiring IIRC.
And, Culliver (what a bust!), has a $4-5M team option next year.

So basically, a 2022 FRP and MEM's 2021 FRP (Aldama).

CGD
12-21-2021, 02:28 PM
They have KA, jaren J, and Clarke. They’re not giving us a FRP for Young.

I think they'd be OK giving up the 27-30th pick for depth. JJJ is a starter. Their depth at the 4&5 behind JJJ and Adams, are Kyle at PF and Clarke at C. They still have 2 other FRPs this year.

Dverde
12-21-2021, 10:12 PM
After the Scola debacle, no way the Spurs trade within their division with Memphis. We’ll be lucky if they would trade within the Western conference.

KingKev
12-21-2021, 10:18 PM
After the Scola debacle, no way the Spurs trade within their division with Memphis. We’ll be lucky if they would trade within the Western conference.

This is just silly and I really hope PATFO isn’t this stubborn/ignorant/STUPID after the last 5 years of total mismanagement. We aren’t even a playoff-team. All that pride needs to take a seat to actually winning again. Besides we have been buying out players to join competitors at an alarming rate.

The Truth #6
12-22-2021, 12:19 AM
Yeah, if you keep buying out players, it sets the wrong expectation, which is that other teams can lowball us in trade offers or wait to get the player for free. We need to trade or do nothing in my opinion at this moment.

Degoat
12-22-2021, 12:21 AM
It makes to much sense for the spurs and suns to find a deal for Thad Young TBH the Suns just humiliated the lakers on TNT, suns are the real deal and I could totally see them wanting to add depth to their bench with Thad young and maybe Forbes as well.

KingKev
12-22-2021, 03:02 AM
It makes to much sense for the spurs and suns to find a deal for Thad Young TBH the Suns just humiliated the lakers on TNT, suns are the real deal and I could totally see them wanting to add depth to their bench with Thad young and maybe Forbes as well.

Thad simply is not worth a FRP. Aldridge wasn’t. DDR wasn’t. Thad, despite a smaller and easier contract for matching purposes simply isn’t. The dumb-assess who make trade scenarios on BR are dumber than your
local IG haul girl or sports aficionado tiktoker. The last few teams who have traded firsts over the last 3-4 years to bulk up would probably want those back. Beyond that, a buyout has always been imminent to anyone with the slightest sense of player value. Suns are likely offering Jalen Smith (a free agent we could easily sign in the offseason) and Saric who is on of the shelf and also on the books for 2 yrs. Why not just buy him out and sign Jalen Smith if you are at all interested?

CGD
12-22-2021, 07:23 AM
^

Actually, DDR was…

And your caveats/hedges are key: Thad is a more manageable deal to move, and Sarics long term money is part of the consideration for Suns adding the pick.

Btw, we’re talking about the 27-30th pick here, not some potential top 14 situation like what spurs wanted LMA

paperboy77
12-22-2021, 07:58 AM
Yeah, if you keep buying out players, it sets the wrong expectation, which is that other teams can lowball us in trade offers or wait to get the player for free. We need to trade or do nothing in my opinion at this moment.

A Spurs play that earned it yes not someone like Thad. Can’t set the expectation that everyone will get that treatment.

Ocotillo
12-22-2021, 08:16 AM
Every time I see there is a new comment in this thread I am thinking Thad has done another interview asking out :lol

buttsR4rebounding
12-22-2021, 08:31 AM
Every time I see there is a new comment in this thread I am thinking Thad has done another interview asking out :lol

You will know it has reached it's peak when Matt Bonner does a special on Philly Cheesesteaks and Thad is a guest on the show...

KingKev
12-22-2021, 10:14 AM
^

Actually, DDR was…

And your caveats/hedges are key: Thad is a more manageable deal to move, and Sarics long term money is part of the consideration for Suns adding the pick.

Btw, we’re talking about the 27-30th pick here, not some potential top 14 situation like what spurs wanted LMA

The Sun’s 22 FRP is spoken for fyi so it’d be a 23 FRP or later. DDR not being worth a FRP was an exaggeration on my part.

Phoenix needs their 23 FRP as it is cheap labour after they likely are forced to maxout Ayton. Between Ayton, Paul, Bridges and Booker they are going to have over 120mm locked up through 2025. Wasting a FRP on renting Thad is just dumb.

exstatic
12-22-2021, 12:07 PM
The Sun’s 22 FRP is spoken for fyi so it’d be a 23 FRP or later. DDR not being worth a FRP was an exaggeration on my part.

Phoenix needs their 23 FRP as it is cheap labour after they likely are forced to maxout Ayton. Between Ayton, Paul, Bridges and Booker they are going to have over 120mm locked up through 2025. Wasting a FRP on renting Thad is just dumb.

If they’ve already traded their 22, they cannot trade their 23.

Also, if you want a championship, you go all in. Look at the Lakers. Their 22 FRP is out going to NO. NO has swap rights for 23. Their 24 FRP pick is outgoing to NO. Personally, I think they’re totally fucked, but they did push all of their chips to the middle of the table.

BatManu20
12-22-2021, 01:21 PM
He’ll eventually be traded for a SRP imo.

Kevin
12-22-2021, 02:05 PM
He’ll eventually be traded for a SRP imo.

Probably. I could see the Suns willing to do the 2024 1st but only with Lonnie included otherwise they'll gamble on Thad getting bought out.

TDomination
12-22-2021, 02:13 PM

Also, if you want a championship, you go all in. Look at the Lakers. Their 22 FRP is out going to NO. NO has swap rights for 23. Their 24 FRP pick is outgoing to NO. Personally, I think they’re totally fucked, but they did push all of their chips to the middle of the table.

This. Suns need to see that they have a window open right now. But it will only last for so long. They need to take advantage and make the most of their current team.

Ocotillo
12-22-2021, 02:18 PM
He’ll eventually be traded for a SRP imo. I can see that but doesn't near matching salary have to come back as well?

superbigtime
12-22-2021, 02:53 PM

lol. same.

KingKev
12-22-2021, 03:08 PM

Yeah you are right. Read on BR 23 was earliest pick they could trade as OKC owns their 22 pick so long as it is 13-30. Given you need to draft in the first round every other year, 24 is the next available pick. It is going to be a balancing act for them for sure as Chris Paul's health and ability holds the keys to their future. My argument is that first will provide the opportunity for a possible cheap ready to contribute role player or could be packaged to add a better win now asset than a 6 month rental of Thad.

If PHX wants to offer Smith, Saric, and a future FRP for Thad i'm all for it just doin't see it happening. Hell take Walker or Brynny to get to done.

Larry O
12-22-2021, 05:46 PM
Ho Hum.... as much as us Spurs fans would like a trade, to, let's say, the Suns, as it has been widely reported, so that we can get something back for him, I can see that at the end of the day, when the opportunity to trade comes & goes, Thad will be brought out to be free to choose as to what team he would like to go to, instead. :(

exstatic
12-22-2021, 06:03 PM
Ho Hum.... as much as us Spurs fans would like a trade, to, let's say, the Suns, as it has been widely reported, so that we can get something back for him, I can see that at the end of the day, when the opportunity to trade comes & goes, Thad will be brought out to be free to choose as to what team he would like to go to, instead. :(

I’ll be glad to see the backside of this whiney, complaining a-hole, whether by trade or waiver. If we get something? Fine. If not, it becomes addition by subtraction. During the flurry of waivers before the playoff roster deadline, something may drop through the cracks. The end of summer waivers were how we got Cacok.

CGD
12-22-2021, 06:41 PM
Buy out is probably where it’s headed, but what makes the Suns deal interesting for Suns is also getting off Sarics money next year. I think spurs will have to eat some long term money, in addition to sending Thad (and Forbes) out, to gain a FRP for either.

Dejounte
12-22-2021, 06:42 PM
I don’t know if we should fault Thad too much for whining. Imagine if your current employer prevented you from looking for jobs online even though your time is up with them in six months. And the longer you wait, the longer the “blank spot” on your resume will be. Your current employer is controlling your future earnings and there’s nothing you can do about it, meanwhile you have a mortgage to pay, car debt to pay off, and kids to feed. I would be fucking upset too.

BackHome
12-22-2021, 07:11 PM
Yeah, he just stated facts it's not like he said anything bad about Sa/Team/Coaching - I think people are putting way to much into his one comment. I still think he will get traded what we get I have no idea but hopefully you can package him and Forbes and get something................?

exstatic
12-22-2021, 07:53 PM
I don’t know if we should fault Thad too much for whining. Imagine if your current employer prevented you from looking for jobs online even though your time is up with them in six months. And the longer you wait, the longer the “blank spot” on your resume will be. Your current employer is controlling your future earnings and there’s nothing you can do about it, meanwhile you have a mortgage to pay, car debt to pay off, and kids to feed. I would be fucking upset too.

If I’m making $14M, and my health is good, I’m not complaining about shit.

baseline bum
12-22-2021, 08:06 PM

Ah poor Thaddeus Young. Can't go look for a new contract for next year when literally no other upcoming free agent can either. Poor Thaddeus Young, the Spurs owe it to him to build up his value instead of working on the team's rebuild which Young obviously doesn't fit. Poor Thaddeus Young, wants his $14 million and the choice where to play and what role, the goals of the team paying him be damned.

CGD
12-22-2021, 08:15 PM
^ obviously to compare a multimillionaire to us mere mortals is always tough, but the fundamentals are the same once you dispense with the populist stuff:

Dude is looking for his last big deal, he feels his value was really high after a good season in CHI, and now he’s at risk of losing millions because of a trade to rebuild team. Honestly he’s probably not wrong that the trade cost will have him a few million here and there, but that’s not on the Spurs.

baseline bum
12-22-2021, 08:22 PM
^ obviously to compare a multimillionaire to us mere mortals is always tough, but the fundamentals are the same once you dispense with the populist stuff:

Dude is looking for his last big deal, he feels his value was really high after a good season in CHI, and now he’s at risk of losing millions because of a trade to rebuild team. Honestly he’s probably not wrong that the trade cost will have him a few million here and there, but that’s not on the Spurs.

If he wants to choose his role he can always leave money on the table and negotiate a cheap buyout. Can't have the money and the free agency, gotta pick one or the other.

exstatic
12-22-2021, 08:58 PM

Dude is ON his last big deal. He’ll be 34 before he’ll reach summer free agency.

jjspur
12-22-2021, 09:10 PM

I'm forced to agree .I hate that option, but its nothing that the spurs haven't done before with other players basically getting nothing in return other than saving a little bit on salary. Can't we get a least a few basketballs and a case of Doritos ?

jjspur
12-22-2021, 09:15 PM
If I’m making $14M, and my health is good, I’m not complaining about shit.
And yet alot of NBA players still do, including Thaddeus Young.

ismael-robert
12-22-2021, 11:15 PM

Agee as well. I'm hoping to see an actual update or actual news and it's just the same pointless, mindless, repetitive chatter back n forth

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-23-2021, 12:57 AM
Atlanta really need an experienced back up big because Dieng has been awful. They can work out a deal that includes the fake OKC first the owe and it'd help both teams.

Dverde
12-23-2021, 07:47 AM
Agee as well. I'm hoping to see an actual update or actual news and it's just the same pointless, mindless, repetitive chatter back n forth

pointless, mindless, repetitive chatter back n forth is what we do. New here?

CGD
12-23-2021, 08:02 AM
Dude is ON his last big deal. He’ll be 34 before he’ll reach summer free agency.

Of course he’s not getting close to his current deal. But had he been still in CHI coming off another decent season, I think he commands MLE $$ for about 2-3 years. He has a case that his like value has likely dropped off from that level because of the trade/inaction.

buttsR4rebounding
12-23-2021, 11:09 AM
For what it's worth (very, very, very little) Hoopshype has him as the most discussed tradable player today. I actually do think he'll be traded. Right now there is just no reason for the Spurs to take less than what they want since we are not even close to the trade deadline. Lots of BB to be played (not much of it by Thad). Injuries, COVID, other trades can all serve to raise his value in another team's eye. Same goes with Bryn, IMO. The number of trades until right before the deadline is always minimal.

MannyIsGod
12-23-2021, 03:10 PM
Part of the problem is the exact same as last year with LMA. We need help at the very position Thad plays, but you can't trade for him for that help. Otherwise, if you trade him for a pick, you have to take back salary in return and I don't think the Spurs have any desire to each a long contract as they can still open up cap space soon. I think if there's a way to get involved as a third team in a deal or something for a an actual star comes open and they need salary he will be moved.

Otherwise, dude is getting bought out or staying with us all year at the end of the bench.

Ocotillo
12-23-2021, 03:57 PM
Part of the problem is the exact same as last year with LMA. We need help at the very position Thad plays, but you can't trade for him for that help. Otherwise, if you trade him for a pick, you have to take back salary in return and I don't think the Spurs have any desire to each a long contract as they can still open up cap space soon. I think if there's a way to get involved as a third team in a deal or something for a an actual star comes open and they need salary he will be moved.

Otherwise, dude is getting bought out or staying with us all year at the end of the bench.

Yeah, the Phoenix speculation is what you hear about frequently but I personally don't want Saric's salary on the books next year. Would he fetch anything next year anymore than Thad does this year?

CGD
12-23-2021, 04:39 PM

Dude, we’re rebuilding. This is not the lat few years. Everything is a position of need.

Take the draft capital where you can, while minimizing chance that any added long term money that impacts other goals in free agency.

CGD
12-23-2021, 04:44 PM
Yeah, the Phoenix speculation is what you hear about frequently but I personally don't want Saric's salary on the books next year. Would he fetch anything next year anymore than Thad does this year?

Not ideal, but that’s probably the carrot for PHX to add the pick tbh.

It’s not the end of the world in my view. I’m of the mind that it’s good to carry a manageable expiring contract (I think Saric is around $11M) that could be moved in case a trade comes together. If you look around the league there are fewer and fewer of those type of deals out there now.

Compared with, as others have noted, LMA and DDR deals where the sheer salary size limited options.

MannyIsGod
12-23-2021, 10:00 PM
Dude, we’re rebuilding. This is not the lat few years. Everything is a position of need.

Take the draft capital where you can, while minimizing chance that any added long term money that impacts other goals in free agency.

Except every position is not one of need. We don't need a starting center, PG, or any guard for that matter. We need big depth. Thats the exact same thing Thad young is so if we trade him why would anotehr team send us a comparable forward back? Makes no damn sense.

Dverde
12-24-2021, 10:10 AM
Wizards seem to have no place for Deni with Bertans, Rui, and Kuzma there. How about Caldwell Pope and Deni Avdija for Thad and Forbes. Wizards trying to win now with Beal on the roster.

Sugus
12-24-2021, 12:39 PM
Wizards seem to have no place for Deni with Bertans, Rui, and Kuzma there. How about Caldwell Pope and Deni Avdija for Thad and Forbes. Wizards trying to win now with Beal on the roster.

I really don't see the Wizards giving up on Deni this soon, especially for some non-needle-moving trade like Young-Forbes. Doesn't get them anywhere meaningful that justifies losing a lottery prospect. Besides, they'd much sooner let go of Kuzma, and certainly of Bertans, in any win-now trades (Kuzma's playing well for them, but still).

Fusternino
12-24-2021, 12:44 PM
Yeah if Young could go back to shooting 5 3s a game, he'd be a great fit. This team really needs another 4 and combo forward.

mo7888
12-24-2021, 12:59 PM

I could see them moving Deni and I could see him playing the 4....but, I can't see them moving him for a package of just expiring contracts... if they were motivated to get off a contract they don't want or if we were sending back a player on a contract they want or maybe a pick then I could see it..

exstatic
12-24-2021, 01:11 PM

These three are the reason they DON’T need another PF. Makes no sense at all, but I guess it worked in the trade machine…or something.

Dverde
12-24-2021, 01:52 PM
I really don't see the Wizards giving up on Deni this soon, especially for some non-needle-moving trade like Young-Forbes. Doesn't get them anywhere meaningful that justifies losing a lottery prospect. Besides, they'd much sooner let go of Kuzma, and certainly of Bertans, in any win-now trades (Kuzma's playing well for them, but still).

They would probably have to give up picks to unload Bertans bad contract. Caldwell Pope has another year of 14M that the Spurs would have to eat that would save Wiz money. Spurs have picks they could include. Thad could help mentor Rui Hachimura and give vet experience for their playoff run. I just remember Spurs being high on Deni, he’s never impressed me.

JPB
12-24-2021, 04:14 PM
MBW but too many teams potentially interested in Young for no trade to happen, specially with Covid and contenders willing to secure a good core of valuable players. You don't wanna start 2 D-Leaguers and a journeyman for a PO Game 7... They'll try to low ball the Spurs as always but I think there will be a team desperate enough to pull the trigger... Now I'm not sure what they can get in return.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-25-2021, 03:04 AM
Miami are struggling with the lack of centers on the roster after injuries to Adebayo and Dedmon, but unfortunately they simply don't have the contracts to make a deal for Thad work. They could have Eubanks :lol

John B
12-25-2021, 07:25 AM
Any takers yet? I just don’t want the Spurs buying out his contract.

exstatic
12-25-2021, 07:46 AM
Any takers yet? I just don’t want the Spurs buying out his contract.

That’s probably what will happen. It would be nice to get something, even a SRP, but he’s kind of destroyed his value with all of his whining. At this point, I just want him gone.

During the buyout period, all the teams that want to sign buyouts usually have to cut someone, and maybe we pick up someone then the way we got Cacok at then end of the summer. We also got KBD at the end of camp the year before. I’d rather get a young long shot than a bad contract and a meh pick.

Rocalcio
12-25-2021, 10:25 AM
I'm really surprised by his whinning attitude, when he was in Chicago he was known for being the perfect teammate, always agreeing to the coach's decision. He knew that his trade to the Spurs meant that he wouldn't be the first, and even the second, option.

duncan2150
12-25-2021, 10:51 AM
I'm really surprised by his whinning attitude, when he was in Chicago he was known for being the perfect teammate, always agreeing to the coach's decision. He knew that his trade to the Spurs meant that he wouldn't be the first, and even the second, option.

It's the first time in his long carreer that he is not playing so his reactions are legit and not surprising.

He is not playing a single minute, i don't see a player with his level who could b esatisfied by this.

exstatic
12-25-2021, 11:53 AM
It's the first time in his long carreer that he is not playing so his reactions are legit and not surprising.

He is not playing a single minute, i don't see a player with his level who could b esatisfied by this.

You can stop with the drama. He’s played in 22 games, over 300 minutes, and you’d think he’d figure out that his minutes stopped cold when he started whining, and he’d stop going on podcasts to bitch about his minutes. He was actually first big off the bench before he started his bitch fest.

Thad, just STFU. If you can’t make $14M to play somewhere not of your choosing for 50 games or so without publicly and vocally complaining, you’re not even a professional, or much of a man, quite frankly.