PDA

View Full Version : Robert Horry Meet & Greet

SayTown
12-06-2021, 07:16 AM
Will Timmy and Manu be at the Robert Horry Meet & Greet this weekend?

R. DeMurre
12-06-2021, 11:36 AM
:lol

KingKev
12-06-2021, 11:38 AM
Haha I met him at a Vegas pool party in 2013 he was very personable with everyone around him.

cd98
12-06-2021, 12:04 PM
Ha, he's trying to make peace with Spurs fans after he that Hakeem Timmy thing. Who cares? He hit one of the biggest shots in Spurs history. Let a man have his opinions.

D-Robinson 50 fan
12-06-2021, 03:57 PM
He is doing this is San Antonio?

I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets a bit of hate from some folks. Not a lot because most people here are polite but folks love Tim in this city so I wouldn’t be surprised if a person or two confronts him.

spurs1990
12-06-2021, 04:22 PM
Ha, he's trying to make peace with Spurs fans after he that Hakeem Timmy thing. Who cares? He hit one of the biggest shots in Spurs history. Let a man have his opinions.

Also missed one of the biggest shots to end game 5 2003 costing LA all momentum and a beat down in game 6

rjv
12-06-2021, 04:25 PM
horry did what he was paid to do when he came here so i have no qualms with his takes since then, which are pretty tame compared to sjax's.

John B
12-06-2021, 04:27 PM
Also missed one of the biggest shots to end game 5 2003 costing LA all momentum and a beat down in game 6

And half of the time he’s just watching and just waiting to take his shots. Really he’s NBA Forest Gump, just being there at the right time.

baseline bum
12-06-2021, 04:27 PM

He pretty much carried the Spurs to victory in that Game 5. I think he had 18 points in the fourth quarter and OT and it's really hard to see the Spurs win the title that year without that performance. It was so much more than one shot.

SpursforSix
12-06-2021, 04:32 PM
He pretty much carried the Spurs to victory in that Game 5. I think he had 18 points in the fourth quarter and OT and it's really hard to see the Spurs win the title that year without that performance. It was so much more than one shot.

Hell yeah. He made a bunch of threes as well as some tough shots. I'll never forget the left handed dunk which seemed impossible from where he jumped from.

TDomination
12-06-2021, 04:41 PM
Robert Horry & Drew Pearson Meet & Greet - WSS Grand Opening Event!SUN DEC 12 2021 AT 09:00 AM UTC-06:004800 W Commerce St, San Antonio, TX 78237-1504, United States | San Antonio

baseline bum
12-06-2021, 05:16 PM
And half of the time he’s just watching and just waiting to take his shots. Really he’s NBA Forest Gump, just being there at the right time.

Yeah no, no one is carrying the Spurs to a Game 5 win in the Finals on the road against that Detroit team by accident or dumb luck.

Harry Callahan
12-06-2021, 07:33 PM
The Horry's, Kerrs, and Diaws were extremely important ingredients to get the team over the top on the 2003, 2005 and 2014 Championships. It's hard to be too critical for me.

gilmor2002
12-06-2021, 07:44 PM
he hell check Nash for Spurs to win that series against Suns..

DJR210
12-06-2021, 08:16 PM
Next he's gonna accuse Tony Parker of fucking teammates wives.. oh wait

Ice009
12-06-2021, 08:17 PM
horry did what he was paid to do when he came here so i have no qualms with his takes since then, which are pretty tame compared to sjax's.

What has Stephen Jackson said that is worse? Stephen talks a lot of shit, but I don't recall him denigrating Tim like Horry did.

I appreciate a lot of what Horry did when he was playing for the Spurs, but there is no way Hakeem was as good as he's making him out to be. TD is/was arguably better, but Horry's comments hold a lot of weight with the casuals and that doesn't help TD's legacy out at all. People already have an inflated opinion of Hakeem, but as time goes by, people seem to have a lower one of Tim completely forgetting how great he was. Horry adding that retarded take doesn't help people see/appreciate TD's greatness. It just diminishes it for no reason.

RC_Drunkford
12-06-2021, 08:26 PM
He was bugging with that Hakeem is better than Tim take. But the man almost dislocated his shoulder with that dunk against the Pistons. He was a major part of winning that title

daslicer
12-06-2021, 08:42 PM
What has Stephen Jackson said that is worse? Stephen talks a lot of shit, but I don't recall him denigrating Tim like Horry did.

I appreciate a lot of what Horry did when he was playing for the Spurs, but there is no way Hakeem was as good as he's making him out to be. TD is/was arguably better, but Horry's comments hold a lot of weight with the casuals and that doesn't help TD's legacy out at all. People already have an inflated opinion of Hakeem, but as time goes by, people seem to have a lower one of Tim completely forgetting how great he was. Horry adding that retarded take doesn't help people see/appreciate TD's greatness. It just diminishes it for no reason.

Have you been living under a rock the last several years? What Horry said about Duncan vs Hakeem was a profoundly stupid take but Jax has been a lot worse when it comes to the Spurs and Duncan.

1. He took shots at Duncan's leadership by saying that he was the leader of the '03 title team and not Tim Duncan. He also said Duncan was never a leader. He said this on I believe Bill Simmon's podcast.
2. He said Kobe was a better player than Duncan.
3. He took shots at Manu and Parker by basically saying they were cowards the way they handled the Kawhi situation.
4. He sided with Kawhi during the Spurs-Kawhi feud.
5. He also went out of his way to talk trash to Spurs fans on IG once Kawhi got traded to rub salt in the wounds.

Proxy
12-07-2021, 01:00 AM
Have you been living under a rock the last several years? What Horry said about Duncan vs Hakeem was a profoundly stupid take but Jax has been a lot worse when it comes to the Spurs and Duncan.

1. He took shots at Duncan's leadership by saying that he was the leader of the '03 title team and not Tim Duncan. He also said Duncan was never a leader. He said this on I believe Bill Simmon's podcast.
3. He took shots at Manu and Parker by basically saying they were cowards the way they handled the Kawhi situation.
5. He also went out of his way to talk trash to Spurs fans on IG once Kawhi got traded to rub salt in the wounds.

https://streamable.com/kg4uo

Ice009
12-07-2021, 07:44 AM

I haven't really followed him since he was booted off the Spurs in 2013. I hadn't heard most of that stuff. I just figured he talked shit about Manu & DG when Pop cut him during the 2013 season and also Pop himself, but I didn't think he'd trash TD. Having said that, let me ask you, do you think Sjax's takes would be taken as seriously as Horry's? IMO Horry holds much more clout having won 7 rings, so IMO I don't think as many fans would take Stephen Jackson as seriously as they would hearing something similar from Horry who has won 7 rings and played with three great big men.

lefty
12-07-2021, 10:30 AM
“BaCk iN mY dAyS”

KingKev
12-07-2021, 10:41 AM
I haven't really followed him since he was booted off the Spurs in 2013. I hadn't heard most of that stuff. I just figured he talked shit about Manu & DG when Pop cut him during the 2013 season and also Pop himself, but I didn't think he'd trash TD. Having said that, let me ask you, do you think Sjax's takes would be taken as seriously as Horry's? IMO Horry holds much more clout having won 7 rings, so IMO I don't think as many fans would take Stephen Jackson as seriously as they would hearing something similar from Horry who has won 7 rings and played with three great big men.

Stack co-hosts one of the biggest sports podcasts out there (on Showtime) and is WELL RESPECTED across basketball, football and the entertainment industry. For every critique he has ever given Duncan he probably gives 5 examples of praise. This narrative that he is anti-Spur is ridiculous. He may have had his differences with the franchise in his second tour but he often praises the organization, Pop especially and is very close with Holt’s son till this day. This board blows a gasket when anyone says anything critical of this franchise or Tim/Tony/Manu.

Dex
12-07-2021, 10:57 AM

Dude is a raging anti-semite who defended DeSean Jackson and then doubled-down on his comments.

Not to mention being enough of a distraction for Pop to literally kick him off a team on a title run.

The sooner people stop listening to what Jackson has to say, the better.

Thanks for the big shots in 2003, but....bye Felicia.

TimDunkem
12-07-2021, 11:01 AM
Next he's gonna accuse Tony Parker of fucking teammates wives.. oh wait
:lol Typical ST. SJ deserves to be burned at the stake for comments about the franchise while guys like TP literally fucked a teammate's wife.

daslicer
12-07-2021, 11:14 AM
Stack co-hosts one of the biggest sports podcasts out there (on Showtime) and is WELL RESPECTED across basketball, football and the entertainment industry. For every critique he has ever given Duncan he probably gives 5 examples of praise. This narrative that he is anti-Spur is ridiculous. He may have had his differences with the franchise in his second tour but he often praises the organization, Pop especially and is very close with Holt’s son till this day. This board blows a gasket when anyone says anything critical of this franchise or Tim/Tony/Manu.

GTFO he went on a revenge tour in '17-'18. For a whole entire year he bashed the franchise and sided with Kawhi. He was on ESPN, Fox Sports 24/7 running his mouth for that whole entire year and the worst part of it was they took him as a credible source on the Spurs simply because they wanted Kawhi out of San Antonio. Jax is a con artist in the sense he will bash the shit out of you and then say "Well I also love you.". I don't fall for that shtick.

daslicer
12-07-2021, 12:52 PM

Jax has more clout with fans than Horry does since he has a larger megaphone with his YouTube podcast All the Smoke that has a huge following. With that being said Jax's rep has taken a huge hit during the last several months due to his feud with Kwame Brown in which he got embarrassed. I don't think fans take him as seriously as they once did prior to that feud.

daslicer
12-07-2021, 12:54 PM
Dude is a raging anti-semite who defended DeSean Jackson and then doubled-down on his comments.

Not to mention being enough of a distraction for Pop to literally kick him off a team on a title run.

Agreed. You can appreciate what Jax did in '03 but still view him as a POS much like Bulls fans now view Scottie Pippen.

daslicer
12-07-2021, 12:55 PM
https://streamable.com/kg4uo

Stupid response.

Budkin
12-07-2021, 03:15 PM
Horry saved us from an epic collapse in 2005. He gets a free pass.

John B
12-07-2021, 03:26 PM
F&ck Big Shot Bob. The guy career average was 7pts and 5 rebounds, and 5pts 4 rebounds with the Spurs. As I said he was NBA’s Forest Gump being there at the right time. Most of the time he’s caught waiting for his “Big Shot Bob” moment to take. Yup occassionally he’ll score 28pts, but likewise Forbes when he’s hot.

I mean I appreciate what he’s done, but being “Big Shot Bob” seems to got into his head to say just whatever he wants. I’ve seen him play. He’s like Lonnie with sometimes ridiculous games, who was fortunate to play with Hakeem, Kobe/Shaq and Timmy. I remember he threw that towel on Ainge face because he didn’t want to play. He’s a punk.

daslicer
12-07-2021, 06:18 PM
F&ck Big Shot Bob. The guy career average was 7pts and 5 rebounds, and 5pts 4 rebounds with the Spurs. As I said he was NBA’s Forest Gump being there at the right time. Most of the time he’s caught waiting for his “Big Shot Bob” moment to take. Yup occassionally he’ll score 28pts, but likewise Forbes when he’s hot.

I mean I appreciate what he’s done, but being “Big Shot Bob” seems to got into his head to say just whatever he wants. I’ve seen him play. He’s like Lonnie with sometimes ridiculous games, who was fortunate to play with Hakeem, Kobe/Shaq and Timmy. I remember he threw that towel on Ainge face because he didn’t want to play. He’s a punk.

There is an interesting exert in the book 3 Ring Circus which is about the Lakers from '96-'04 that details what happened after Horry threw the towel in Ainge's face. According to the book Joe Kleine confronted Horry in the locker room after the game and challenged him to a fight. Horry backed down and apologized for what he did. Joe in the book said that Horry was very immature around that time.

D-Robinson 50 fan
12-07-2021, 06:22 PM
I think I’m gonna go and check this out because I have nothing going on, the day he is signing autographs

D-Robinson 50 fan
12-07-2021, 06:30 PM

yeah, Jackson has said a few bone headed things but overall he has shown a lot of love to the Spurs, Tim, and Pop publicly.

Jackson’s experience, just like Horry was his experience. Shit, even Horry tried to clean up what he said about Tim over time. He admitted Tim was an all time great but he thought Olajuwon was better. That’s his (even if we all think he is wrong) opinion. He even told the truth about why he kinda has bashed the Spurs as of late and it was due to contract situations at that time.

baseline bum
12-07-2021, 06:47 PM

Big shots in 2012 too if not for the fix job in OKC.

Ice009
12-07-2021, 06:59 PM
Jax has more clout with fans than Horry does since he has a larger megaphone with his YouTube podcast All the Smoke that has a huge following. With that being said Jax's rep has taken a huge hit during the last several months due to his feud with Kwame Brown in which he got embarrassed. I don't think fans take him as seriously as they once did prior to that feud.

Wow. Haven't followed him much the past 3-4 years. Didn't realize he had built up that kind of following and platform to speak out on via his podcast (are any worth watching?). What was the feud with Kwame Brown about?

Dex
12-07-2021, 07:06 PM

Yeah, I still block that 2012 WCF out of my mind. We were on a serious run that year....Beautiful Game was the real deal

Ice009
12-07-2021, 07:06 PM
yeah, Jackson has said a few bone headed things but overall he has shown a lot of love to the Spurs, Tim, and Pop publicly.

Jackson’s experience, just like Horry was his experience. Shit, even Horry tried to clean up what he said about Tim over time. He admitted Tim was an all time great but he thought Olajuwon was better. That’s his (even if we all think he is wrong) opinion. He even told the truth about why he kinda has bashed the Spurs as of late and it was due to contract situations at that time.

So what has Horry said in regard to his over-exaggerated comments? Got any links I can read, or could you maybe paraphrase some of what he said when he backed off of those comments? Was it just because he was upset about not being re-signed by the Spurs after the 2008 season?

I would have been cool with it if he simply said he believes Olajuwon is better (I don't), but he pretty much acted like Tim was so far beneath him when that is flat out wrong and makes Tim look bad in the eyes of a lot of casual fans who never saw him in his prime. Take away those two years and Olajuwon is below Tim (and I really did like Olajuwon). I've never seen any other player elevated as high as Hakeem due to two great years.

KingKev
12-07-2021, 07:12 PM

Yep and we defo could have used him in the 2013 NBA Finals just saying.

daslicer
12-07-2021, 09:53 PM
Wow. Haven't followed him much the past 3-4 years. Didn't realize he had built up that kind of following and platform to speak out on via his podcast (are any worth watching?). What was the feud with Kwame Brown about?

Stephen Jackson had Gilbert Arenas on his show where him and Matt Barnes along with Arenas cracked jokes about Kwame's career. They made fun of Kwame joked around about him being a bust. Jackson and Barnes also had another episode where they had Jeannie Buss in which both Barnes and Jax cracked jokes on Kwame being a nobody in the Gasol trade. Kwame took those episodes personal and started insulting them back on youtube putting together videos that went up to an hour filled with insults directed towards both Jax and Matt Barnes. Those videos went viral very quickly and were pretty popular since they pretty entertaining and the insults Kwame put out were hilarious. Jax and Matt Barnes tried to respond back with their own videos with insults directed towards Kwame but failed and just got more embarrassed with Kwame putting out more videos insulting them. This feud started in May of this year and dragged on until around September or October. Kwame at one point was making videos everyday making fun of both Jax and Barnes. Kwame amassed over 400K plus followers due to this feud on his YouTube channel.

The feud could possibly be over now since Kwame said a few days ago Jax sent him a text saying he was sorry. Go youtube Kwame Brown Stephen Jackson, Matt Barnes. You will see a ton of videos of the insults he has hurled at them.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
12-07-2021, 10:49 PM
Stephen Jackson had Gilbert Arenas on his show where him and Matt Barnes along with Arenas cracked jokes about Kwame's career. They made fun of Kwame joked around about him being a bust. Jackson and Barnes also had another episode where they had Jeannie Buss in which both Barnes and Jax cracked jokes on Kwame being a nobody in the Gasol trade. Kwame took those episodes personal and started insulting them back on youtube putting together videos that went up to an hour filled with insults directed towards both Jax and Matt Barnes. Those videos went viral very quickly and were pretty popular since they pretty entertaining and the insults Kwame put out were hilarious. Jax and Matt Barnes tried to respond back with their own videos with insults directed towards Kwame but failed and just got more embarrassed with Kwame putting out more videos insulting them. This feud started in May of this year and dragged on until around September or October. Kwame at one point was making videos everyday making fun of both Jax and Barnes. Kwame amassed over 400K plus followers due to this feud on his YouTube channel.

The feud could possibly be over now since Kwame said a few days ago Jax sent him a text saying he was sorry. Go youtube Kwame Brown Stephen Jackson, Matt Barnes. You will see a ton of videos of the insults he has hurled at them.

wow that sounds boring

daslicer
12-07-2021, 10:53 PM
wow that sounds boring

It was actually pretty entertaining if you watch the videos both sides put out insulting each other.

D-Robinson 50 fan
12-09-2021, 10:22 AM
in this YouTube video him and Richard Jefferson talk about their time and experience in San Antonio. This clip is him talking about his Tim Duncan comments.

https://youtu.be/EhXU1rI6Jgw

So what has Horry said in regard to his over-exaggerated comments? Got any links I can read, or could you maybe paraphrase some of what he said when he backed off of those comments? Was it just because he was upset about not being re-signed by the Spurs after the 2008 season?

I would have been cool with it if he simply said he believes Olajuwon is better (I don't), but he pretty much acted like Tim was so far beneath him when that is flat out wrong and makes Tim look bad in the eyes of a lot of casual fans who never saw him in his prime. Take away those two years and Olajuwon is below Tim (and I really did like Olajuwon). I've never seen any other player elevated as high as Hakeem due to two great years.

daslicer
12-09-2021, 10:41 AM
in this YouTube video him and Richard Jefferson talk about their time and experience in San Antonio. This clip is him talking about his Tim Duncan comments.

I want my life back after watching this video. In a nutshell Horry said Duncan was the 4th best player he played with after Hakeem,Shaq,Kobe. Both RJ and Horry believes Duncan was successful because of the Spurs system but he would have still been a great player anywhere else he played.

D-Robinson 50 fan
12-09-2021, 10:44 AM
Ice009 (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=1302)

i was trying to find the interview where he really gives the main reason why Horry kinda had some of his issues with San Antonio being because of his last season and not getting the contract he wanted but I couldn’t find it right now.

Below is another video that’s has an interesting point of view from Ellie and Horry also.

https://youtu.be/NoN69nyo2eI

D-Robinson 50 fan
12-09-2021, 10:47 AM
I want my laugh back after watching this video. In a nutshell Horry said Duncan was the 4th best player he played with after Hakeem,Shaq,Kobe. Both RJ and Horry believes Duncan was successful because of the Spurs system but he would have still been a great player anywhere else he played.

Jefferson I think did a good job explaining why he said both. He stated the system was more so for Tim’s teammates getting in line and also maximizing their talents but Tim would’ve been good any place he played. So it makes sense from the way Jefferson explained it, to me.

SayTown
12-09-2021, 08:03 PM
Robert Horry gives no fucks considering he said he received death threats over his comments about Timmy.

http://i.imgur.com/5tST5kG.gif

https://media0.giphy.com/media/eu3HAovQCIQLHBHYuX/giphy.gif

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DeadEntireAcouchi-size_restricted.gif

Also Horry and Ainge are known as two of the biggest floppers in NBA history and Jefferson is salty because he blames his sorry play in San Antonio on the Spurs system. Jefferson said that at that time the SF in San Antonio's system was just to get out of the way and stand in the corner which although he's not wrong about that, he still can't blame that as the whole reason he sucked in SA.

J_Paco
12-10-2021, 03:00 AM

Where is Mario Elie at? He played with Hakeem and a young Tim Duncan, so why doesn't anyone ask him who he thought was better?

Nevermind, just seeing Mario's comments about his time in San Antonio.

Anyway, it is silly to say that just because people wanted to "learn" from Hakeem (which they'd never fully do without the soccer background) that made him better than Timmy.

Tim was taller, bigger and stronger while Hakeem had the advantages of leaping ability and quickness. Still, it is extremely close and I'd argue that Tim was only slightly better.

J_Paco
12-10-2021, 03:03 AM
Robert Horry gives no fucks considering he said he received death threats over his comments about Timmy.

http://i.imgur.com/5tST5kG.gif

https://media0.giphy.com/media/eu3HAovQCIQLHBHYuX/giphy.gif

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DeadEntireAcouchi-size_restricted.gif

Also Horry and Ainge are known as two of the biggest floppers in NBA history and Jefferson is salty because he blames his sorry play in San Antonio on the Spurs system. Jefferson said that at that time the SF in San Antonio's system was just to get out of the way and stand in the corner which although he's not wrong about that, he still can't blame that as the whole reason he sucked in SA.

Richard was extremely complimentary of Timmy, Pop and the Spurs organization in that clip.

What he said about the system and who it benefitted made a lot of sense too.

D-Robinson 50 fan
12-10-2021, 04:40 PM
I think I’m gonna go check out Horry this Sunday.

daslicer
12-10-2021, 05:25 PM
Where is Mario Elie at? He played with Hakeem and a young Tim Duncan, so why doesn't anyone ask him who he thought was better?

Nevermind, just seeing Mario's comments about his time in San Antonio.

Anyway, it is silly to say that just because people wanted to "learn" from Hakeem (which they'd never fully do without the soccer background) that made him better than Timmy.

Tim was taller, bigger and stronger while Hakeem had the advantages of leaping ability and quickness. Still, it is extremely close and I'd argue that Tim was only slightly better.

Horry and Mario will always be biased towards favoring Hakeem over Tim. Hakeem was older than both of them and they also looked up to Hakeem. Horry idolized Hakeem growing up so he definitely has biases. Also don't forget Duncan used to curb stomp Horry a lot when he was with the Lakers. So I'm sure Horry has some bitterness about that especially how '03 went down. To some degree I think Horry still wishes the Lakers had won in '03 because that would have prevented him from leaving LA. Granted he liked his time in SA but he always loved being in LA playing in front of the stars and attending parties.

Tim in my eyes was better than Hakeem but I'm obviously biased. Some fans in here proved through advanced stats that Duncan was better. Duncan figured out early in his career how to elevate and make his teammates better abound him on both ends of the court. Hakeem didn't figure that out until his 10 year in the league. Duncan also managed to play at high level and adapt to not being the number 1 option on offense during his twilight years unlike Hakeem.

Ice009
12-10-2021, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the video D-Robinson 50 fan I just watched them and don't agree with Horry's takes (the more I watch them, the more I don't like it as he ranked Tim as the 4th best player he played with - I completely disagree on that too).

Tim also had pretty good footwork too early on in his career. IMO Tim was overall better than Hakeem (I've posted this before, can't remember in what thread, though) and that is with one compromised leg during the second half of his prime. Tim never had the same length of prime years as Olajuwon did physically due to his bad knee. If he didn't have any physical limitations like Hakeem at the same age Hakeem was during the '94 & '95 seasons, it wouldn't even be close - Tim would be way further ahead. Tim was already way ahead of Hakeem at an early age as far as leadership goes and elevating his teammates goes, then if you add all the wisdom he had when he was 33, 34 years old (if his knees were both still good like Olajuwon's were at the same age), it wouldn't have been a discussion. As it stands, Olajuwon may have had a slightly better peak, but overall Tim was still better IMO.

Anyway, I don't think I'll ever say Olajuwon was the better player, but what do you guys think of Horry's rankings having TD as the 4th best player he's played with?

Allan Rowe vs Wade
12-11-2021, 12:27 AM
horry is full of the christmas turkey

daslicer
12-11-2021, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the video D-Robinson 50 fan I just watched them and don't agree with Horry's takes (the more I watch them, the more I don't like it as he ranked Tim as the 4th best player he played with - I completely disagree on that too).

Tim also had pretty good footwork too early on in his career. IMO Tim was overall better than Hakeem (I've posted this before, can't remember in what thread, though) and that is with one compromised leg during the second half of his prime. Tim never had the same length of prime years as Olajuwon did physically due to his bad knee. If he didn't have any physical limitations like Hakeem at the same age Hakeem was during the '94 & '95 seasons, it wouldn't even be close - Tim would be way further ahead. Tim was already way ahead of Hakeem at an early age as far as leadership goes and elevating his teammates goes, then if you add all the wisdom he had when he was 33, 34 years old (if his knees were both still good like Olajuwon's were at the same age), it wouldn't have been a discussion. As it stands, Olajuwon may have had a slightly better peak, but overall Tim was still better IMO.

Anyway, I don't think I'll ever say Olajuwon was the better player, but what do you guys think of Horry's rankings having TD as the 4th best player he's played with?

Tim was definitely better than Kobe and Shaq. The stretch from '01-'04 really seals it in my eyes. He won 2 MVPS, a championship with out playing with any all-stars. I don't think either of them would have had the type of success Tim had with those rosters. Kobe especially wouldn't since he was in similar circumstances in '04-'07 and we saw how terrible the Lakers were during that stretch.

Tim could also control the game defensively in a way Shaq and Kobe couldn't. That is one part of Tim's game that is underrated. If advanced stats existing back in his prime he would have won 3 or 4 DPOYs.

TDomination
12-11-2021, 10:45 AM
This is such a stupid argument with bias written all over it. Its so subjective.

Those who hated seeing Timmy win year after year after year after year after year probably would be like meh he's just a product of the system due to his "boring" play.
Or some guys think, well he didn't win back to back titles so of course the other guys are better.

But who won for a longer period of time? Who didn't implode his team? Who never missed the playoffs? Who couldn't care less about their stats and was actually a good teammate?

I'm annoyed by Horrys comments but at the end of the day he has the right to his opinion and I still enjoyed having him on the Spurs.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-11-2021, 12:47 PM
Horry can suck it.

daslicer
12-11-2021, 02:24 PM
This is such a stupid argument with bias written all over it. Its so subjective.

Those who hated seeing Timmy win year after year after year after year after year probably would be like meh he's just a product of the system due to his "boring" play.
Or some guys think, well he didn't win back to back titles so of course the other guys are better.

But who won for a longer period of time? Who didn't implode his team? Who never missed the playoffs? Who couldn't care less about their stats and was actually a good teammate?

I'm annoyed by Horrys comments but at the end of the day he has the right to his opinion and I still enjoyed having him on the Spurs.

Horry is a fake and is just a Laker shill. I read the book 3 Ring Circus which is book that came out in 2020 about the Shaq Kobe Lakers from '96-'04. It's a great read and has gotten great reviews. It's also a very credible book since there a bunch of quotes from Shaq and other Lakers in the book that confirm the stories are true.

The reason I bring this up is according to the book that playing for the Lakers was a very miserable experience for everybody involved. It was a toxic work culture, locker room, and the players didn't like each other. There was anecdote in the book that confirms that the Lakers would have crumbled earlier if they didn't win the title in '00. Winning that title kept that team together longer than they were destined to be since it kept them motivated but they hated playing with each other including Horry.

I still remember when Horry first came to San Antonio talking about how it was great how there was no drama on the team and that he wasn't use to being in great environment like that. He would rave all the time how much fun he's having being on team in which everybody gets a long. Now years later he sings a different tune about the experience.

Horry never loved playing on those Laker teams. I think what he truly loved was the off court perks he got in LA for playing for the Lakers. The perks such as the whole entire city giving you attention along with getting to party and hang out celebrities and other rich people. This guy is now just shilling for the Lakers so he can continue to get other types of perks of being in LA.

slick'81
12-11-2021, 04:15 PM
He helped three teams ring. Wgaf who he believed is the best or what team is his favorite?!

wildbill2u
12-16-2021, 02:04 PM
Stepping into a minefield here, but I think Hakeem was physically a better athlete than Tim. Tim was pretty athletic his first years in the league but had to adapt when his feet and legs started to go. Remember those years when plantar fasciatis limited his mobility and jumping to the point where he often just stood flat-footed because he couldn't jump over a damn matchbook. That beautiful outside jumper off the glass disppeared. He never complained or made excuses, just made adjustments and carried on to further greatness.

To some extent, because of the way the game was played differently during the years when their careers didn't overlap, and because Timmy always was primarily listed as a PF while Hakeen was always a center, you simply can't compare them at all. Great stuff to argue about in a sports bar, but you're never going to get a consensus. If you go to Stathead and compare their stats, Hakeen has slightly better stats so there is data that indicates he was individually better, but what is important to Spurs fans should be how great Timmy was for our franchise and how priviledged we were to see him play for eighteen wonderful years.

buttsR4rebounding
12-16-2021, 02:44 PM

Yeah, but he made a crapload of big shots. Can't fake 7 rings or whatever he has.