PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand: Lifetime tobacco ban

FrostKing
12-09-2021, 02:25 PM
https://i.ibb.co/prR911J/3570.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/khL5DMP/Screenshot-20211209-112351-Chrome.jpg

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/09/new-zealand-to-ban-smoking-for-next-generation-in-bid-to-outlaw-habit-by-2025

Millennial_Messiah
12-09-2021, 02:47 PM
I'm conflicted on this one. Tobacco is polluting both to the ecosystem/environment and to the human body and those around it. Life would be better if nobody smoked. But then again, people should have the right to do what they want with their own bodies in their own personal space. I'm torn.

TDMVPDPOY
12-11-2021, 03:13 PM
tobacco is the highest tax revenue for the govt, where they going to get the money from? increase other taxes?

remember u also got fuel/petrol tax, what they going to do with they move to electric cars? start taxing ppl for using their electric/hybrid vehicles? thats what they are proposing btw....

they already milking it with high property taxes like stamp duty and council rates with the bullshit high market prices for property, but wont intervene to stop the increase prices out of reach for first home buyers trying to enter the market...

Allan Rowe vs Wade
12-11-2021, 04:48 PM
boomers to gen z -- fuck youuuuuu

Blake
12-11-2021, 05:45 PM
since there's really no upside but plenty of downside from tobacco, seems like a pretty good law.

But they got it way wrong on recreational weed

DMC
12-12-2021, 01:01 PM
:lol new black market opening soon in NZ

pgardn
12-12-2021, 01:09 PM
I'm conflicted on this one. Tobacco is polluting both to the ecosystem/environment and to the human body and those around it. Life would be better if nobody smoked. But then again, people should have the right to do what they want with their own bodies in their own personal space. I'm torn.

Oh cmon please...
This is so minimal compared to the guy I know (M&M) who does have the faintest idea how important a 2 degree temp change on the Earth over such a short period of time.

but, but its just 1 or 2 degrees... like its only YOUR backyard. No clue YOU.

Xevious
12-12-2021, 02:55 PM
boomers to gen z -- fuck youuuuuu
Really. If you're going outlaw something, just do it.

Millennial_Messiah
12-12-2021, 10:32 PM
Oh cmon please...
This is so minimal compared to the guy I know (M&M) who does have the faintest idea how important a 2 degree temp change on the Earth over such a short period of time.

but, but its just 1 or 2 degrees... like its only YOUR backyard. No clue YOU.

3 straight La Niña's counting this year have definitely led to some odd winter weather over the past few years. Definitely more warmer than average, sticky nights in the past few years in Texas. In El Niño's those are scarce as hen's teeth. But on the positive side I guess, the summer heat hasn't been quite as bad the past few years. We're not seeing consistent days in the mid 100s in Jul/Aug/early Sep like we did from 2011-2013. I guess it is what it is and interesting to track the meteorology.

Millennial_Messiah
12-12-2021, 10:33 PM
Really. If you're going outlaw something, just do it.

The joke's on the boomers, they will die of lung cancer and other smoking-caused illnesses while gen Z, millennials and post covid babies will reap the benefits of cleaner air and one less major cancer causer

lefty
12-13-2021, 08:57 AM

idk man,

When you’re walking outside and you’re getting someone else’s smoke because it’s a windy day it’s not the best feeling in the world tbh

Fuck cigarette smokers

Anyway if they’re going to ban , just ban it altogether regardless of birth dates

Millennial_Messiah
12-13-2021, 09:54 AM
idk man,

When you’re walking outside and you’re getting someone else’s smoke because it’s a windy day it’s not the best feeling in the world tbh

Fuck cigarette smokers

Anyway if they’re going to ban , just ban it altogether regardless of birth dates

I agree, but boomers are in charge of the law and they seek to appease other boomers, so the phase-out makes sense. I agree that cigarette smoke is downright disgusting and I especially hate female smokers.

Millennial_Messiah
12-13-2021, 02:30 PM
+