PDA

View Full Version : Official Winningest Coach Watch Thread

bluebellmaniac
12-18-2021, 08:34 AM
Pop is now 15 wins from the all-time Wins record in the NBA.

Only 54 games left. He can get there winning just 28% of the remaining games.

Hats off to the legend. Glad to be witness to this legacy.

Drom John
12-18-2021, 10:00 AM
Currently, FiveThirtyEight projects the Spurs to win 35 games.
If so, then a 10 game cushion.

KingKev
12-18-2021, 10:09 AM
Rather get a top 5 pick tbh. Either way looking forward to celebrating his retirement. Well deserved but also time.

Dex
12-18-2021, 10:43 AM
Spurs are currently at a 39.2% win rate, which projects to 32 wins this season.

Obviously, that's just the easy maths...they could do better, or they could do worse. They had a rough first 10-15 games, but also have a more condensed schedule after Christmas and we'll see how COVID continues to spiral.

Either way, they are on pace for the record this season.

GAustex
12-18-2021, 11:06 AM
Can't wait til the anchor is gone

Dverde
12-18-2021, 11:06 AM
Rather get a top 5 pick tbh. Either way looking forward to celebrating his retirement. Well deserved but also time.

Not a popsucker but I’d rather him have the record. I’d preferred he retired two years ago, but since he is still going I want him to get it. At least it gets the Spurs on sportscenter again

Seventyniner
12-18-2021, 11:36 AM
Not a popsucker but I’d rather him have the record. I’d preferred he retired two years ago, but since he is still going I want him to get it. At least it gets the Spurs on sportscenter again

They might start showing a few seconds of Spurs wins when he gets close, a longer spot when he ties the record, and a full segment when he breaks it.

Maybe even the top of the show if there's no other major events that day; Pop will probably get the record during the NCAA tournament.

For a way-too-early prediction, I'll guess that Pop breaks the record on March 18 against the Pelicans.

Dex
12-18-2021, 11:38 AM
Only SpursTalk could find a way to complain about having the winningest coach in NBA history.

:cry But Bryn Forbes! :cry

MultiTroll
12-18-2021, 01:29 PM
Pops gonna get in the Guinness record book too. :tu

World's Longest Cat Tail Guinness World Record Holder | PEOPLE.com (https://people.com/pets/longest-cat-tail-guinness-world-records/)

Oh wait, was that cat or coat?

FutureMan
12-18-2021, 02:02 PM

Well technically, both are possible. The great thing right now is that the Spurs are winning games but so are some other lottery teams. The 7th or 8th pick has seen a leap, since the changed the lottery, almost every year. So who knows. Would be great to see Pop another year though if we got a top 4 pick. Get the team back on track and then retire so it’s a better situation for whoever takes over.

Mr. Body
12-19-2021, 01:43 PM
ESPN will make Pop breaking the record a segment all about Curry breaking the 3 point record.

bluebellmaniac
12-21-2021, 03:00 PM
14 wins from being the GOAT!

cd98
12-21-2021, 04:28 PM
ESPN will make Pop breaking the record a segment all about Curry breaking the 3 point record.

I doubt it. When do people do those kinds of things for coaches in the past that have accomplished what Pop has.

Rummpd
12-21-2021, 04:50 PM
Pop is now 15 wins from the all-time Wins record in the NBA.

Only 54 games left. He can get there winning just 28% of the remaining games.

Hats off to the legend. Glad to be witness to this legacy.

Fine coach but at best top 3 who hung on too long after his gravy train Duncan retired.

Number of wins about 4th metric of a coach

Allan Rowe vs Wade
12-21-2021, 05:15 PM
Fine coach but at best top 3 who hung on too long after his gravy train Duncan retired.

Number of wins about 4th metric of a coach

If he gets the record, spurs get a lotto pick and he leaves with the spurs loaded on young talent and light on payroll obligations ... pretty much the right amount of time to hang on

Chucho
12-22-2021, 03:22 PM
Currently, FiveThirtyEight projects the Spurs to win 35 games.
If so, then a 10 game cushion.

How often have they predicted right?

BillMc
12-22-2021, 03:44 PM
Only SpursTalk could find a way to complain about having the winningest coach in NBA history.

:cry But Bryn Forbes! :cry

Truth.

bluebellmaniac
12-24-2021, 10:54 PM
13 wins to go.

GSG!

Rummpd
12-25-2021, 02:34 PM
Only one stat counts coaches and it is chips. Top five ok. Erase thread thanks

exstatic
12-25-2021, 02:48 PM

Log off ok. Thanks.

bluebellmaniac
12-25-2021, 05:12 PM

Only one that SHOULD count is all-time series wins against other teams by a coach. Or if you want to include 'ships, then only count the ones where the coach also owns the series wins against that team.

Pretty simple.

wildbill2u
12-30-2021, 04:44 PM
Amazing that some folks don't give Pop the credit he deserves or give it grudgingly with some lame comment about having great players in the Big 3. A coach doesn't win without great players who stay with him for years so his career is lengthy enough to build that long string of wins. It's barely possible that some coach now active in the league will be able--and willing-- to sustain a winning career record that will overtake Pop. , but the odds and the years necessary are against anyone you can name. If it happens, I hope the fans in his town are totally behind the achievement.

Meanwhile, I'm going to cheer him on and revel in the fact that this small town market has produced so many stars in the NBA record books.:flag::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::po p:

talkspurs
12-30-2021, 06:00 PM
Ker who I think has the best chance to pass him is 16 years younger. he has 403 currently. If pop gets one over the record or 1336 that will be a difference of 933 (not counting future wins for ker this year) Ker would need to win about 58 games a year to equal what pop did. (numbers will change on where pop gets to how many more wins Ker gets and how long he coaches.

exstatic
12-30-2021, 09:05 PM
Ker who I think has the best chance to pass him is 16 years younger. he has 403 currently. If pop gets one over the record or 1336 that will be a difference of 933 (not counting future wins for ker this year) Ker would need to win about 58 games a year to equal what pop did. (numbers will change on where pop gets to how many more wins Ker gets and how long he coaches.

The GS players are all in their 30s now. Won’t last long, maybe 4-5 years, and then they’ll have to rebuild. Even if they average 60 wins for 5 seasons, that’s only 300 wins before a hard reset.

buttsR4rebounding
12-31-2021, 06:21 PM
Doc Rivers is 59 years old and has 1011 wins. He is the one with the best chance to overtake Pop.

BatManu20
12-31-2021, 06:24 PM
Doc Rivers is 59 years old and has 1011 wins. He is the one with the best chance to overtake Pop.

He will. And then Steve Kerr, who is only 56 and already has over 400 wins, could potentially overtake both in 15+ years if he continues to coach good teams, which he will.

buttsR4rebounding
12-31-2021, 06:42 PM
I wouldn’t mind Kerr beating it, but Rivers is the most overrated coach in the league.

Dverde
12-31-2021, 07:46 PM

Doc is close to getting fired again. This might be his last chance. League is getting tired of him. I always that Spolstra would pass Pop. Started out young and just got to another finals. His job seems pretty safe right now.

bluebellmaniac
01-06-2022, 03:44 AM
10 to tie

11 to be the GOAT!

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/most-wins-by-a-nba-coach-career

lefty20
01-06-2022, 04:11 AM
The GS players are all in their 30s now. Won’t last long, maybe 4-5 years, and then they’ll have to rebuild. Even if they average 60 wins for 5 seasons, that’s only 300 wins before a hard reset.

Then it will be time for a change of scenery for Kerr.

So obviously he will then come to SA to coach Primo and Vassell to multiple Chips, tbh.

But seriously, I don't see Kerr sticking around in GS during rebuild years. I think some team with championship aspirations might lure him out of GS. Unless their recent high draft picks turn out to be good enough players to keep the party going in GS.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-10-2022, 06:23 PM
He will. And then Steve Kerr, who is only 56 and already has over 400 wins, could potentially overtake both in 15+ years if he continues to coach good teams, which he will.

Kerr seems to have some health issues, and having lots of rings as both a player and coach, I'm not sure he'll have any desire to stick around long enough to break Pop's mark.

Doc, however, is one of those coaches who will probably keep bouncing around for as long as he wants to coach. I could definitely see him coaching long enough to get it done. Philly fires him and some other team will retread him.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-10-2022, 06:32 PM
It's also interesting how closely Popovich and Pat Riley's coaching resumes compare when you look at their regular wins and %, as well as post season wins and %. Both with 5 Larry O's. Both with 3 COY awards.

Mr. Body
01-10-2022, 07:32 PM
Doc Rivers could if he keeps going deep into his 60s. Eric Spoelstra has a really good shot. He's been coaching for a long time and is only 51 years old.

bluebellmaniac
01-15-2022, 10:53 PM
10 to tie

11 to be the GOAT!

9 to tie

10 to be the GOAT!

horseshue
01-16-2022, 06:05 AM
Hopeing for a 8-31 record for the rest of the season, with 10 to 15 game losing streak at the end, just to extend poop's misery.

bluebellmaniac
01-20-2022, 12:12 AM
9 to tie

10 to be the GOAT!

8 to tie

9 to be the GOAT!

bluebellmaniac
01-25-2022, 10:13 PM
8 to tie

9 to be the GOAT!

7 to tie

8 to be the GOAT!

itzsoweezee
01-25-2022, 10:19 PM
7 to tie

8 to be the GOAT!

It’s going to be close. The rest of the schedule is no joke. 5 wins looks doable. Anything more than that would be surprising.

MultiTroll
01-25-2022, 10:32 PM
Was this win over Houston Pops greatest coaching job in the last 5 years?

MannyIsGod
01-25-2022, 10:35 PM
It’s going to be close. The rest of the schedule is no joke. 5 wins looks doable. Anything more than that would be surprising.

Uh, this is kinda nonsense. The SPurs should easily win 10 more games this year.

itzsoweezee
01-25-2022, 10:52 PM
Uh, this is kinda nonsense. The SPurs should easily win 10 more games this year.

Yeah, you’re right. I missed some games when I was looking at the schedule. They should win 10 games. I wouldn’t say easily though.

MultiTroll
01-25-2022, 10:56 PM
With losses this season to dedicated supertankers Detroit and Houston are you sure?

Altho Pop is absolutely on fire the past 6 games.
3-3.

MannyIsGod
01-25-2022, 11:34 PM
Barring huge injuries, they will win 10 fairly easily. They still have 2 games against the Rockets, 2 against OKC, 3 against the Pelicans, 3 against the Trailblazers and there are other weak teams in there too like the Pacers and Wizards. Plus they'll win a few against much better teams. Spurs are currently at .375 with 34 games left which means they'd have to play WORSE than their current record in order to finish with fewer than 10 wins the rest of the way. That's very unlikely given the Spurs record is already underperforming given the Spurs stats. They'd have to basically go under .300 the rest of the season and yeah, that's not going to happen.

John B
01-26-2022, 01:17 AM
I counted 12 wins including the Bulls visiting this Friday missing some of its players. If it’s close would the opponent team give the game to Pops out of respect or would they play extra hard to be a spoiler? I know against record breaking players, teams tend to play extra hard and not be in the record books. How about the team Spurs beat to get the winningest coach?

scott
01-26-2022, 01:25 AM
Barring huge injuries, they will win 10 fairly easily. They still have 2 games against the Rockets, 2 against OKC, 3 against the Pelicans, 3 against the Trailblazers and there are other weak teams in there too like the Pacers and Wizards. Plus they'll win a few against much better teams. Spurs are currently at .375 with 34 games left which means they'd have to play WORSE than their current record in order to finish with fewer than 10 wins the rest of the way. That's very unlikely given the Spurs record is already underperforming given the Spurs stats. They'd have to basically go under .300 the rest of the season and yeah, that's not going to happen.

Man I felt really confident until you pretty much guaranteed he'd get the record. WC 2014 flashbacks.

Bojo
01-26-2022, 05:08 AM
With losses this season to dedicated supertankers Detroit and Houston are you sure?

Altho Pop is absolutely on fire the past 6 games.
3-3.

Well, they also won games on the road against the clearly rebuilding Milwaukee Bucks and Golden State Warriors, make sure to include those in your calculations.
The team isn't great, but really, they will go 7-26 in their last games? I don't see it, and even if they manage to end the season without getting Pop the record, they will at least get a pretty high draft pick out of it.

exstatic
01-26-2022, 07:25 AM
The Spurs are underperforming their net rating. Bbref says that their expected record should be 23-24.

DeRozan m8
01-26-2022, 08:34 AM
I don't give a fuck about this...just fucking tank

MultiTroll
01-26-2022, 11:35 AM
Well, they also won games on the road against the clearly rebuilding Milwaukee Bucks and Golden State Warriors, make sure to include those in your calculations.
The team isn't great, but really, they will go 7-26 in their last games? I don't see it, and even if they manage to end the season without getting Pop the record, they will at least get a pretty high draft pick out of it.
Good points. But Pop had his star Bryn Forbes against the Bucks then again a few weeks later with Bryns D helping lock down Curry in a win at Golden State.
I'm waiting for some Spurs Insiders to give us the real story on what came down with Pop n Bryn.

This 1st half of the season has been Pops first to work with McDermot.
If anyone could pull out some development it's Pop, so i will not be surprised if he gets the record this season.
But as you noted, we will get a higher pick yet if he does not.

lefty
01-26-2022, 01:24 PM
It's also interesting how closely Popovich and Pat Riley's coaching resumes compare when you look at their regular wins and %, as well as post season wins and %. Both with 5 Larry O's. Both with 3 COY awards.
Yeah but Riley repeated :deadhorse

spurraider21
01-26-2022, 01:41 PM
The Spurs are underperforming their net rating. Bbref says that their expected record should be 23-24.
its not really a fluke. we've mostly been pretty bad in games that came down to big possessions in the last minute or so of the game. but sure we can put bad teams like orlando/detroit away in the 3rd quarter sometimes

exstatic
01-26-2022, 04:57 PM
its not really a fluke. we've mostly been pretty bad in games that came down to big possessions in the last minute or so of the game. but sure we can put bad teams like orlando/detroit away in the 3rd quarter sometimes

You’d kind of expect a team in balance with net rtg to split those, though. We seem to get the short end of the stick much more often.

spurraider21
01-26-2022, 04:59 PM
You’d kind of expect a team in balance with net rtg to split those, though. We seem to get the short end of the stick much more often.
close games arent just coin flips that are supposed to fall your way. do you have a closer? how is your defense in crunch time? are you running good set plays? are you managing timeouts well?

MultiTroll
01-26-2022, 05:26 PM
close games arent just coin flips that are supposed to fall your way. do you have a closer? how is your defense in crunch time? are you running good set plays? are you managing timeouts well?
https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/ovsOEZKCvTM0DlliSBh9cw--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTcwNTtoPTM1MztjZj13ZWJw/https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/uA0D7illtDRg_bi62DNfKw--~B/aD0xMDAwO3c9MjAwMDthcHBpZD15dGFjaHlvbg--/https://media.zenfs.com/en/insider_articles_922/35fc899d4f5dd59f6a7ab999d13b4b14
mmmmuh someone say close games, strategy?

MannyIsGod
01-26-2022, 05:27 PM

I mean they kind of are just coin flips actually. Not in the sense that if the Spurs come across the best team in the league and are tied going into the last minute they will win 1/2 of those games, but against another average team like the Spurs being tied at 1 minute to go and the game actually should be basically a coin flip. Yeah, the Spurs lack good closers, but so do most of the teams in the NBA. Against teams with lower net ratings the Spurs should be BETTER than a coinflip if tied going into the final minute. By definition not every team can have a Top 10 player. There's a reason net rating and other advance metrics that go into game forecasting models are predictors of what is going to happen.

I don't believe the Spurs "should be" a virtual .500 team even if thats what their net rating says. But I also don't believe that their current record is anything but a statistical outlier. They should have won more games to this point.

Honestly thats not a bad thing though. The net rating the Spurs have is indicative of the fact that this team is more watchable than their record would indicate.

Seventyniner
01-26-2022, 06:15 PM

A team's record in close games generally has little correlation to its overall record. See the first graph in this piece.

https://www.atthehive.com/2020/1/7/21052152/the-charlotte-hornets-are-winning-an-unprecedented-amount-of-close-games

The Spurs' record in games decided by more than 5 points is 15-20, so their 3-10 record in close games in a normal year should be closer to 6-7.

While the Spurs' Pythagorean expected record based on their 0.0 Net Rating is 24-24, I can see a case for their "close games adjusted record" as something like 21-27. Still a below average team, but not bottom 6 in the league. 21-27 would actually be in the play-in (10th, just ahead of Portland at 20-27) if the season ended today.

MannyIsGod
01-26-2022, 06:21 PM
A team's record in close games generally has little correlation to its overall record. See the first graph in this piece.

https://www.atthehive.com/2020/1/7/21052152/the-charlotte-hornets-are-winning-an-unprecedented-amount-of-close-games

The Spurs' record in games decided by more than 5 points is 15-20, so their 3-10 record in close games in a normal year should be closer to 6-7.

While the Spurs' Pythagorean expected record based on their 0.0 Net Rating is 24-24, I can see a case for their "close games adjusted record" as something like 21-27. Still a below average team, but not bottom 6 in the league. 21-27 would actually be in the play-in (10th, just ahead of Portland at 20-27) if the season ended today.

Uh, there's a clear correlation in the plots you linked. That piece is written by someone with a very poor understanding of stats, IMO. (there's zero reason to use a log function just because the curve fits "better")

But those first charts that show a teams win percentage overall vs close game win percentage show a strong correlation with a lot of variance, which is exactly what you would expect since you're in no way accounting for injuries and other impactful factors.

Seventyniner
01-26-2022, 07:45 PM
Uh, there's a clear correlation in the plots you linked. That piece is written by someone with a very poor understanding of stats, IMO. (there's zero reason to use a log function just because the curve fits "better")

But those first charts that show a teams win percentage overall vs close game win percentage show a strong correlation with a lot of variance, which is exactly what you would expect since you're in no way accounting for injuries and other impactful factors.

I see a positive correlation but it doesn't look particularly strong (as in high r^2). Having "a lot of variance" necessarily weakens correlation (again, defining weakness as a low r^2 value) because it increases the denominator, which is why I called the amount of correlation "little".

Thus I'd expect a team's record in close games to be, on average, somewhere between its record in non-close games and 0.500. That's why I said that 21-27 is probably a better indicator of how the Spurs have been playing than 24-24 (expected record by Net Rating) or 18-30 (actual record).

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-28-2022, 03:38 PM
Bottom line, Spurs should be sitting on a better record.

Refs don't give the Spurs any calls, especially late, and our shooters' balls freeze up at the end of games. We need a closer. The Spurs used to toy with teams until the last 5 minutes and then put them away. I miss those days.

exstatic
01-28-2022, 03:47 PM
Normally, this is a maybe thing, or a sometimes thing, but almost without exception this year, we shoot horribly on the second half of a B2B.

John B
01-28-2022, 04:02 PM
Happy 73rd birthday to the winningest Coach :bobo

RC_Drunkford
01-28-2022, 04:47 PM
Bottom line, Spurs should be sitting on a better record.

Refs don't give the Spurs any calls, especially late, and our shooters' balls freeze up at the end of games. We need a closer. The Spurs used to toy with teams until the last 5 minutes and then put them away. I miss those days.

that's what teams are doing to the Spurs now

ginobilized
01-29-2022, 11:06 AM
Where are we at?
6 to tie
7 for the GOAT?

MannyIsGod
01-29-2022, 12:38 PM
I see a positive correlation but it doesn't look particularly strong (as in high r^2). Having "a lot of variance" necessarily weakens correlation (again, defining weakness as a low r^2 value) because it increases the denominator, which is why I called the amount of correlation "little".

Thus I'd expect a team's record in close games to be, on average, somewhere between its record in non-close games and 0.500. That's why I said that 21-27 is probably a better indicator of how the Spurs have been playing than 24-24 (expected record by Net Rating) or 18-30 (actual record).

Except that we don't expect basketball games to be single factor systems, do we? So we don't expect a coefficient to explain a lot of the variance on its own. We're talking about games that factor in schedule, location, and personnel, so a low coefficient value doesn't mean the correlation isn't strong. In any event, pointing to those plots and acting like the relationship is weak is very wrong.

MultiTroll
01-29-2022, 05:27 PM
Phil Jackson .704

Mr. Body
01-29-2022, 05:33 PM
Phil Jackson .704

Low win percentage for the stacked talent he had. Plus he didn't even coach half of the court, Tex Winter did.

ace3g
01-29-2022, 07:08 PM
Going to be a struggle next game.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FKTvI-IXIAAfHL0?format=jpg&name=large

MultiTroll
01-29-2022, 07:19 PM
Plus he didn't even coach half of the court, Tex Winter did.
Rather then being a diss on Phil, this is a compliment to Phil that he is flexible to listen to those with better ideas and strategies vs being cement headed and having a bunch of Yes Men on his bench like Grandpa dictator has had.

2004 we certainly had the talent to match the Flamers.
Down 2-0, Phil listened to Gary Payton and switched the O to pick and roll.
Grandpa sat with his head up his ass per par offering no counter and got backdoor swept.

2006 we're rolling with Tall Balls and he switches to his pet Michael Finely on Dirk thus gets worked by rookie Avery Johnson. :lol
The real downfall of 2006 tho was leaving Parker in up 20 in a done game with unmedicated thug Ron Artest Metta World Puss looking to injure someone.

RC_Drunkford
01-29-2022, 08:03 PM

Pop doing the right thing here. After a 2 game winning streak he gets us right back on the tank :bobo

exstatic
01-29-2022, 08:08 PM
Pop doing the right thing here. After a 2 game winning streak he gets us right back on the tank :bobo

We stand a pretty good chance of dropping the next 3 games, whether guys sit out or not. Top 2 teams in the west and top team in the east.

Mr. Body
01-29-2022, 08:26 PM
Rather then being a diss on Phil, this is a compliment to Phil that he is flexible to listen to those with better ideas and strategies vs being cement headed and having a bunch of Yes Men on his bench like Grandpa dictator has had.

2004 we certainly had the talent to match the Flamers.
Down 2-0, Phil listened to Gary Payton and switched the O to pick and roll.
Grandpa sat with his head up his ass per par offering no counter and got backdoor swept.

2006 we're rolling with Tall Balls and he switches to his pet Michael Finely on Dirk thus gets worked by rookie Avery Johnson. :lol
The real downfall of 2006 tho was leaving Parker in up 20 in a done game with unmedicated thug Ron Artest Metta World Puss looking to injure someone.

The fact that Jackson never had an offensive system of his own is a terrible look for him. And as soon as he lacked Grade A+++ talent at a place, he jetted.

bluebellmaniac
01-29-2022, 09:21 PM
7 to tie

8 to be the GOAT!

6 to Tie

7 to be the GOAT!

SAGirl
01-29-2022, 10:43 PM

Wow Pop resting Derrick, DJ and Jakob. The tank is for real!!!:flag:

MultiTroll
01-29-2022, 10:45 PM
The fact that Jackson never had an offensive system of his own is a terrible look for him. And as soon as he lacked Grade A+++ talent at a place, he jetted.
Shits given about "a look" is most likely zero. So Popped is better for sticking to his archaic Stuck Ball offense in the Derozan Softridge Patty-Bryn era? Please.
And as far as jetting, if only Popped would follow suit. A long time ago.
Healthier for all involved.

He'll get the longevity award for most acquired reg season wins. As has been stated, we used to laugh at teams racking up reg season wins and then getting punked in the playoffs. Now, reg season wins good.

HemisfairArena
01-30-2022, 10:19 PM
Popovich is so overrated...lmao. He blows another big lead and suffers another loss. This guy is a joke without Duncan carrying him.

HemisfairArena
01-31-2022, 12:16 AM

Phil Jackson did what was expected with the talent he had,,,,he 3 peated,,,three times. That is the GOAT. Popovich couldnt even repeat once with all the great talent he had.

HemisfairArena
01-31-2022, 01:46 AM
Popovich never even repeated much less three peated but if he gets the regular season all time win record he's the GOAT,,,,,LMAO

exstatic
01-31-2022, 12:13 PM
What a sad little man you are….

TDomination
01-31-2022, 12:27 PM
Popovich never even repeated much less three peated but if he gets the regular season all time win record he's the GOAT,,,,,LMAO

1 Ginobili foul away from a 3 peat. The coach is not responsible for a players lack of awareness. Especially after literally signaling no foul

HemisfairArena
02-02-2022, 01:09 AM
Popovich is such a joke now,,,,clearly hanging around just to get the record. He doesnt even have the integrity to step down when he is clearly exposed as a horrible coach. Remember when he fired Bob Hill? Only gave him 18 games into the season. Popovich is such a back stabbing snake in the grass,,,

bluebellmaniac
02-02-2022, 06:23 AM
Popovich is such a joke now,,,,clearly hanging around just to get the record. He doesnt even have the integrity to step down when he is clearly exposed as a horrible coach. Remember when he fired Bob Hill? Only gave him 18 games into the season. Popovich is such a back stabbing snake in the grass,,,

Hol' up, sum' bitch! Haters are gon hate. If we win, he ruined the tank. He did the right thing in taking the L, but he's still sucks for it. Don't matter what he does, dey always gon hate.

That's the thing with so many SA's, brought up always complaining 'bought everything. They can be handed a wad of cash, and they'd complain dem bills ain't crisp enough.

Dis crying has got to schtop, and schtop now.

Bob, if dat you, you gotta move on buddy. Life goes on.

RC_Drunkford
02-02-2022, 02:55 PM
I don't have a problem with Pop coaching. He's pretty much coaching these guys as well as possible. He was terrible the last 3 seasons though

MultiTroll
02-04-2022, 10:45 PM
With so many great wins in the Pop Without an MVP to lead him Era, is tonights win over the tanking Rockets one of, if not the greatest win?

bluebellmaniac
02-04-2022, 10:46 PM
6 to Tie

7 to be the GOAT!

Gonna be

5 to Tie

6 to be the GOAT!

MannyIsGod
02-09-2022, 05:47 PM
https://www.nba.com/news/nba-75-top-15-coaches-league-history

Didn't see this posted but hopefully it triggers all the haters.

Mugen
02-09-2022, 05:52 PM
Pretty fitting that Sloan is on there considering we have post-Deron Williams Jerry Sloan coaching the Spurs now :lol

MultiTroll
02-09-2022, 06:20 PM
https://www.nba.com/news/nba-75-top-15-coaches-league-history

Didn't see this posted but hopefully it triggers all the haters.
:lol On same list as Doc Rivers.
:lol As if Duncan would GAF about having media validation.

RC_Drunkford
02-09-2022, 06:29 PM
Pop is easily top 3 all time. Doc Rivers being on that list is hilarious. He‘s holding the record for giving up 3-1 leads :lol

TD 21
02-09-2022, 06:32 PM
^ I didn't know that Rivers played in those series.

The list is ridiculous period since there's no way to quantify what a "great" coach is. Essentially, it's about who lucked into greatness and caught breaks.

The only one "undeserving" is Kerr, who's been around 5 minutes and hasn't had a team win a credible championship yet.

RC_Drunkford
02-09-2022, 06:45 PM
^ I didn't know that Rivers played in those series.

The list is ridiculous period since there's no way to quantify what a "great" coach is. Essentially, it's about who lucked into greatness and caught breaks.

The only one "undeserving" is Kerr, who's been around 5 minutes and hasn't had a team win a credible championship yet.

:lol

that first Warriors championship was definitely legit. I agree that it’s premature, but I can see why they put him in there. Rivers should be nowhere near that list

TD 21
02-09-2022, 07:55 PM
:lol

that first Warriors championship was definitely legit. I agree that it’s premature, but I can see why they put him in there. Rivers should be nowhere near that list

Fine, unimpressive considering every other elite team was decimated . . . and no, I'm not saying it was their fault or they need to apologize.

MannyIsGod
02-09-2022, 08:41 PM
Haters triggered as expected ����

MultiTroll
02-10-2022, 12:17 AM
Sniffers should be given this time to celebrate.

mudyez
02-10-2022, 11:03 AM
https://youtu.be/ztp7Bv18J30

MultiTroll
02-10-2022, 11:40 AM
^ any chance a chart like that can be found for players?

Duncan the real reason he's even sniffing the record. :lol

MultiTroll
02-10-2022, 11:41 AM
Pop is easily top 3 all time. Doc Rivers being on that list is hilarious. He‘s holding the record for giving up 3-1 leads :lol
Must have really showed when they met head to head in the playoffs, huh?

RC_Drunkford
02-10-2022, 12:51 PM
Must have really showed when they met head to head in the playoffs, huh?

don't remind me of that series :lol Pop got outcoached badly and then Rivers lost a 3-1 lead against Houston the next round :lmao

bluebellmaniac
02-12-2022, 07:38 AM
Gonna be

5 to Tie

6 to be the GOAT!

4 to Tie

5 to be the GOAT!

bluebellmaniac
02-12-2022, 10:50 PM
4 to Tie

5 to be the GOAT!

3 to Tie!

4 to be the GOAT!

Dex
02-15-2022, 09:38 AM

MultiTroll
02-15-2022, 11:35 AM
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/bryn-forbes-and-patty-mills-of-the-san-antonio-spurs-talk-against-the-picture-id901301050?s=594x594
That's Pop. Always teaching, coaching, pushing and demanding their best. :tu

Dex
02-15-2022, 03:22 PM
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/bryn-forbes-and-patty-mills-of-the-san-antonio-spurs-talk-against-the-picture-id901301050?s=594x594
That's Pop. Always teaching, coaching, pushing and demanding their best. :tu

Forbes wouldn't have an NBA career without Pop, and he brought Mills up from being a bench-warmer in Portland to one of the best sixth men in the NBA.

Now both are NBA champions.

So....what exactly is your point, again?

MultiTroll
02-15-2022, 03:50 PM
Forbes wouldn't have an NBA career without Pop, and he brought Mills up from being a bench-warmer in Portland to one of the best sixth men in the NBA.

Now both are NBA champions.

So....what exactly is your point, again?
1. Thanks for validating my point. Not that it needed any.
2. Best 6th man in NBA :lmao

Mark Madsen is a threepeat NBA Champion.

Oh you sniffers. :lol

bluebellmaniac
02-16-2022, 11:43 PM
3 to Tie!

4 to be the GOAT!

2 to Tie!

3 to be the GOAT!

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/mos...a-coach-career

Leetonidas
02-16-2022, 11:59 PM
I'm gonna guess March 12 vs Indy or March 16 vs OKC will be the record breaker

slick'81
02-17-2022, 01:05 AM
I'm gonna guess March 12 vs Indy or March 16 vs OKC will be the record breaker

ill say 7th or 9th,la or tor

ismael-robert
02-17-2022, 07:05 AM
The three-time NBA coach of the Year is one of just six coaches to have worked more than 2,000 regular season games and 26 seasons or more. His career win percentage of .659 is the best in that group."

The Truth #6
02-17-2022, 08:05 AM
Hopefully he gets his record, then calls off the dogs, and benches Dejounte. But that probably isn’t happening.

Dex
02-17-2022, 08:51 AM
Hopefully he gets his record, then calls off the dogs, and benches Dejounte. But that probably isn’t happening.

Nope. I agree with others that Pop may not be throwing his best and brightest lineups out there in a subtle tank, but he still strikes me as a "let the cards fall as they may" type.

The Truth #6
02-17-2022, 09:06 AM
Nope. I agree with others that Pop may not be throwing his best and brightest lineups out there in a subtle tank, but he still strikes me as a "let the cards fall as they may" type.

True. I’m just saying that, uhh, Joe Wieskamp is working hard and deserves extended minutes!

Dex
02-17-2022, 09:20 AM
True. I’m just saying that, uhh, Joe Wieskamp is working hard and deserves extended minutes!

Yes...that's the ticket.

I'm really intrigued by that Jones / Primo / Cakoc / KBD / Landale lineup. Let's see lots more of that! :lol

pad300
02-17-2022, 05:18 PM

You want DJ gone? DJ's a fighter and won't quit... DJ would ask for a trade if Pop benched him like that.

BatManu20
02-17-2022, 05:23 PM

Yea not happening sadly. Pop cares too much about optics and his own personal record and all that to purposely tank. He's gone in a couple years so roster turnover isn’t his problem. He’s been way more engaged on the sidelines in the past 10–15 games or so than he was early on in the season. You can tell that he really wants that record now that it’s getting close. Like a hungry dog chained to a fence with a full bowl of food 10 feet away from him.

The Truth #6
02-17-2022, 06:21 PM
You want DJ gone? DJ's a fighter and won't quit... DJ would ask for a trade if Pop benched him like that.

Not gone. But at least ease up his minutes once Pop has the record.

MultiTroll
02-17-2022, 06:51 PM
I'm really intrigued by that Jones / Primo / Cakoc / KBD / Landale lineup. Let's see lots more of that! :lol
How about Bryn, Patty, Beil, Derozan and Gay.

This is what's so cool about tossing around the GOATs numerous genius strategies.

Mr. Body
02-17-2022, 06:59 PM
Yea not happening sadly. Pop cares too much about optics and his own personal record and all that to purposely tank. He's gone in a couple years so roster turnover isn’t his problem. He’s been way more engaged on the sidelines in the past 10–15 games or so than he was early on in the season. You can tell that he really wants that record now that it’s getting close. Like a hungry dog chained to a fence with a full bowl of food 10 feet away from him.

Optics? No, this isn't about optics. Popovich legitimately does not agree with the idea of tanking. He's not putting on a show for anyone.

Dex
02-17-2022, 07:40 PM
How about Bryn, Patty, Beil, Derozan and Gay.

This is what's so cool about tossing around the GOATs numerous genius strategies.

Glad to see you missed me, bby. Living rent free in your head at this point

Can't wait until the next time you @ me

BatManu20
02-17-2022, 08:04 PM
Optics? No, this isn't about optics. Popovich legitimately does not agree with the idea of tanking. He's not putting on a show for anyone.

That’s what I meant. He legitimately thinks it’s a bad look. He doesn’t agree with it, especially considering the run he’s had in his career

MannyIsGod
02-17-2022, 08:09 PM
That’s what I meant. He legitimately thinks it’s a bad look. He doesn’t agree with it, especially considering the run he’s had in his career

He doesn't care how it looks. Can you not get out of the frame of mind that people aren't always motivated by how things look to others?

Dex
02-17-2022, 08:13 PM

Not sure what people don't understand about this.

You don't go from being nearly the winningest coach in NBA history to suddenly being a tank commander. That has never been in his DNA, and it's not going to change now.

He cares about the guys as both players and people. He cares about the future of their careers. He realizes that the future of their entire lives is more important than being a few more percentage points closer to a better draft pick.

He's going to continue to develop and let them play...then once he retires we can bring back Del Negro or whatever and watch this team really suck.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
02-17-2022, 08:15 PM
:lol at this board acting like :pop: isn't also one of the proven GOATest tankers :lol

MultiTroll
02-17-2022, 09:27 PM
Glad to see you missed me, bby. Living rent free in your head at this point

Can't wait until the next time you @ me
You're my #1 paying customer.

Dex
02-17-2022, 09:32 PM
You're my #1 paying customer.

Call it charity :toast I can add it to my tax deductions

BatManu20
02-18-2022, 12:01 AM

exstatic
02-18-2022, 03:53 PM

He doesn’t dislike it because it’s a bad look, he dislikes it because it’s hard to undo. OKC looks like shit because none of their players give one, or is likely to anytime soon.

MultiTroll
02-18-2022, 05:07 PM
^ Can you Sniffers translate in Snifferese:

Not tanking, yet starting Bryn n 50 Patty.
Going out and bringing Bryn back as a FA.

But not tanking.

Yo.

BatManu20
02-23-2022, 11:11 PM
August 11, 1988 Los Angeles Times story on Gregg Popovich leaving Pomona-Pitzer to take a job with the Spurs as Larry Brown's assistant coach.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMSriXxXwAkjsTe?format=jpg&name=medium

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-24-2022, 05:29 PM
August 11, 1988 Los Angeles Times story on Gregg Popovich leaving Pomona-Pitzer to take a job with the Spurs as Larry Brown's assistant coach.

Pretty cool find. :tu

bluebellmaniac
02-26-2022, 03:09 AM
2 to Tie!

3 to be the GOAT!

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/mos...a-coach-career

1 to Tie!

2 to be the GOAT!

MultiTroll
03-04-2022, 01:03 AM
@ Charlotte nope.
*Home vs Lakers. If Lakers have accepted their Tank this game is winnable.

*Still more Flamer Phans then Spurs Fans at these games? Or is that just the lower section clowns? Final years Kome era only?

MultiTroll
03-05-2022, 09:32 PM
History will be made vs Lakers.

Pop will either tie Don Nelson for wins or tie Pat Riley for losses and move into 15th place.

Thomas82
03-06-2022, 01:54 AM
It wouldn't shock me if we get every opponent's best shot in these last 18 games.

ginobilized
03-07-2022, 11:26 PM
Pop has tied his mentor, Don Nelson.
Congrats!!!!

Mr. Body
03-08-2022, 12:09 AM

That's rad. I didn't realize it was Larry Brown who basically tugged him out of this tiny college in California. Crazy that Pop wound up beating him in 2005.

The Truth #6
03-08-2022, 12:14 AM
For some reason I thought he interned with Dean Smith (is that his name?) from UNC, and that opened the door to Larry Brown.

Mr. Body
03-08-2022, 12:18 AM
For some reason I thought he interned with Dean Smith (is that his name?) from UNC, and that opened the door to Larry Brown.

Third paragraph on the right column.

bluebellmaniac
03-08-2022, 06:59 AM
1 to Tie!

2 to be the GOAT!

Tied!

1 more to be the sole GOAT!

exstatic
03-08-2022, 02:17 PM
Haven't looked back at the 6 pages, but Doc is only ~300 wins behind Pop.
Sadly, it doesn't look like this record will last long.

There’s a built in assumption that Pop is leaving. I’m not sure that’s the case. I also think Doc’s career is winding down. He hasn’t won 60 games since Boston, where he stumbled into a franchise that made a couple of lopsided Trades to win one title. He’s just not that impressive as a coach, and just forget about him developing young players. Not happening.

If he kept up his career win %, he’d have to coach 7 more seasons if Pop quits this summer. That would take him to 30, and only Nellie and Wilkins coached that long on the top of the list. I’m not sure he can even maintain that %, since he got a big early bump in Boston, and has kind of coasted since then.

John B
03-08-2022, 03:57 PM
There’s a built in assumption that Pop is leaving. I’m not sure that’s the case. I also think Doc’s career is winding down. He hasn’t won 60 games since Boston, where he stumbled into a franchise that made a couple of lopsided Trades to win one title. He’s just not that impressive as a coach, and just forget about him developing young players. Not happening.

If he kept up his career win %, he’d have to coach 7 more seasons if Pop quits this summer. That would take him to 30, and only Nellie and Wilkins coached that long on the top of the list. I’m not sure he can even maintain that %, since he got a big early bump in Boston, and has kind of coasted since then.

The best chance is IF Doc continues to coach the Sixers for 7 more years and continue winning 49 wins or more every year. That is IF they continue winning those 7 years. Otherwise, Embiid would demand out and/or Doc getting fired. I really think the Sixers would have to get to the Finals in immediate future like 2-3 years for Doc not to get fired.

It would be very lucky for Doc to stay at Sixers and break Pop record imo.

Dex
03-08-2022, 04:14 PM
Haven't looked back at the 6 pages, but Doc is only ~300 wins behind Pop.
Sadly, it doesn't look like this record will last long.

300 wins is six more 50-win seasons, so it's no small feat. Doc is barely on pace for that this season, and if Philly fails in the playoffs then Doc is probably the first one out the door.

Not sure how many chances he's going to get, but I would call this far from a given.

exstatic
03-08-2022, 04:50 PM
300 wins is six more 50-win seasons, so it's no small feat. Doc is barely on pace for that this season, and if Philly fails in the playoffs then Doc is probably the first one out the door.

Not sure how many chances he's going to get, but I would call this far from a given.

That’s kind of my thought, too. He doesn’t develop young players, so most teams in the league who are building or rebuilding won’t hire him, and he doesn’t seem to be reaching the vets in recent NBA stops. This may be his last stop.

MultiTroll
03-08-2022, 05:17 PM
^ If Embiids health can hold out enough for a top 5 MVP candidate (pre injury for sure, was running #1) combined with Regular Season Beard not turning into a donut in the next 3 years.....
Philly management and fans would probably tolerate more 50+ win seasons and 2nd round outs.

Beyond that who knows. How the hell has Doc managed to land the 2 pretty primo gigs he has since the Boston II choker?

Mr. Body
03-08-2022, 10:24 PM
Rivers is only 60 years old. I could see him going another 10 years, definitely, but he needs ready-made near contenders to really get high numbers.

I also don't think Popovich retires after this year.

exstatic
03-09-2022, 12:42 AM
Pop might add another ~100 wins or so to his total. My assumption was that Doc probably gets at least next year with Philly at the minimum. Say he gets fired, I think another contender would convince themselves Doc is the missing key after he does TV for a year.

A couple of them have already done it and failed: Lob City, and he’s gone backwards with Philly this year. I wouldn’t hire him. I’d go for a young coach who’s hungry. He’s becoming a retread.

CGD
03-10-2022, 08:11 AM
Feels like Doc is kinda on his last chance, but maybe that changes with this Harden trade if they can get past the eastern conference finals. Would have said same for Bud, then Bucks won it all.

Chinook
03-11-2022, 11:15 PM
Congrats to Pop on the win. It was a come-from-behind effort against a quality opponent. One of the best victories of the year.

Robz4000
03-11-2022, 11:21 PM
Congrats to the GOAT coach tbh.

BatManu20
03-11-2022, 11:24 PM
Congrats you old fart. :toast

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNnuA4uXsAMTbBC?format=jpg&name=large

Budkin
03-11-2022, 11:25 PM
:pop: the GOAT

Dex
03-11-2022, 11:27 PM
GET IN HERE EVERYBODY!:smokin :toast :spin

:bobo to the GOAT. That's my coach!

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-11-2022, 11:31 PM
:bobo

GOAT

timtonymanu
03-11-2022, 11:31 PM
Fucking awesome!

itzsoweezee
03-11-2022, 11:33 PM
Congratulations Pop! Greatest of all time

I love this ESPN story of people telling their favorite anecdotes of Pop: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33458182/gregg-popovich-nba-legend-stories-never-heard-san-antonio-spurs-team-usa-coach

SayTown
03-11-2022, 11:34 PM
https://youtu.be/kXgEoQviIBw

Seventyniner
03-11-2022, 11:36 PM
I'm glad he took down a good team, and the Spurs' biggest rival when he took over, to get that record. And in a close game. It wouldn't have quite felt the same in a 116-101 win over Indiana.

BatManu20
03-11-2022, 11:37 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNnxiYMXsAUUm93?format=jpg&name=large

GAustex
03-11-2022, 11:42 PM
Quite a reflection of Tim Duncan's greatness

Mr. Body
03-11-2022, 11:42 PM
LOL @ Phil Jackson

Mnky
03-11-2022, 11:43 PM
Goat Popovich. :toast

BatManu20
03-11-2022, 11:44 PM

lefty20
03-11-2022, 11:50 PM
GOAT doing GOAT things.

T Park
03-11-2022, 11:52 PM
Hell of a moment.

Uriel
03-11-2022, 11:53 PM
5-time NBA champion, Olympic Gold Medalist, and now the winningest coach in NBA history.

Not a bad resume.

MannyIsGod
03-11-2022, 11:53 PM
What a satisfying way to do it. Its wonderful to have this as a culmination of being one of the best for decades. Truly the GOAT. Looked like he wanted to get into the tunnel before he started tearing up. So lucky to have this dude as our coach for 20 years.

MannyIsGod
03-11-2022, 11:56 PM
Also, not sure if its been mentioned anywhere on the forum but y'all should listen to today's Zach Lowe podcast. He did a fantastic job of getting people from Pop's coaching life to speak about who Pop is and how he rolls. One of the best Spurs podcasts I've ever heard. Maybe THE best, honestly.

SpurPadre
03-11-2022, 11:56 PM
Congrats to the GOAT coach. Now shrinkwrap Murray for the ROS, limit Keldon and Poetl to 10 minutes a game and keep our eyes on the best draft position possible.

SpurPadre
03-11-2022, 11:58 PM
Also, not sure if its been mentioned anywhere on the forum but y'all should listen to today's Zach Lowe podcast. He did a fantastic job of getting people from Pop's coaching life to speak about who Pop is and how he rolls. One of the best Spurs podcasts I've ever heard. Maybe THE best, honestly.

I simply don't trust ESPN to be respectful of anything Spurs related.

T Park
03-11-2022, 11:58 PM

Yeah was amazing to listen to this afternoon. You hear the stories once ina. While but still marvel at them when they still come out.

Chinook
03-12-2022, 12:00 AM
Happy that a guy like Richardson, who's been a Spurs fan from afar for all of these years, could be part of the team during such a big moment even though he's likely just having a pitstop on his way to a new home next season. He didn't just celebrate from the bench either. Dude had a strong game and was a huge part in the Spurs staying in it during the first half. Also happy that Gay was there to congratulate him too. It only would have been more fitting if it were against the Nets instead.

MannyIsGod
03-12-2022, 12:03 AM
Happy that a guy like Richardson, who's been a Spurs fan from afar for all of these years, could be part of the team during such a big moment even though he's likely just having a pitstop on his way to a new home next season. He didn't just celebrate from the bench either. Dude had a strong game and was a huge part in the Spurs staying in it during the first half. Also happy that Gay was there to congratulate him too. It only would have been more fitting if it were against the Nets instead.

In Lowe's podcast today, Steve Kerr mentioned how quickly players become attached to Pop and I thought about that with both Richardson and Gay tonight. There was another player on the Jazz who came over to talk to Pop too but I couldn't see who it was. The man actually cares about these players. The hug between Pop and DJM was probably my favorite moment of the season.

baseline bum
03-12-2022, 12:05 AM
Nothing like beating Utah to cement the alltime record after beating the LA to tie it.

Chinook
03-12-2022, 12:05 AM
In Lowe's podcast today, Steve Kerr mentioned how quickly players become attached to Pop and I thought about that with both Richardson and Gay tonight. There was another player on the Jazz who came over to talk to Pop too but I couldn't see who it was. The man actually cares about these players. The hug between Pop and DJM was probably my favorite moment of the season.

Pretty sure it was Juancho who came over. I guess those couple of weeks he was on the team were impactful for him.

As far as that hug, yeah. I thought DJM might have been crying. DeJounte deserves it too. Dude clearly put it all out there to get his coach that win and has basically carried the team to the rest of their victories this season. It was probably the best Pop moment since the Kawhi hug a few years ago.

Spurs Homer
03-12-2022, 12:07 AM
Nice moment.

GOAT

SpurPadre
03-12-2022, 12:07 AM
I can't help but feel the best I've felt as a Spurs fan since #5.

Uriel
03-12-2022, 12:15 AM
This year, Murray developed into an all-star, Pop got the record for most wins in NBA history, and the Spurs could end up with a top 5 pick.

Big picture, this has been a great season.

buttsR4rebounding
03-12-2022, 12:24 AM
Congratulations Pop. The final moment of the Golden Era of Spurs basketball.

bluebellmaniac
03-12-2022, 01:32 AM
Fire Pop!

Oh... wait...

lefty
03-12-2022, 01:44 AM
https://twitter.com/aglr_23/status/1502505312519041026

John B
03-12-2022, 02:33 AM
Congratulations Coach Pop! GOAT! And the most amazing thing is he did all that with one organization — the Spurs! Yeah! Go Spurs Go!

HemisfairArena
03-12-2022, 03:04 AM
You can't be the greatest coach ever if you could never repeat and defend your title,,,,especially when all the other greats could like Auerbach, Jackson, and Riley. Even Kerr and Spolestra manned up and got their teams to go back to back and defend their titles,,,

MultiTroll
03-12-2022, 04:22 AM
I'm glad he took down a good team, and the Spurs' biggest rival when he took over, to get that record. And in a close game. It wouldn't have quite felt the same in a 116-101 win over Indiana.
Agree much more satisfying to see a good 4th qtr comeback against a Utah playoff team vs rolling some tanking team.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-12-2022, 04:42 AM
For perspective, it would take a new coach 27 consecutive years of 50-win seasons to pass Pop.

Doc has a little bit of a chance if he coaches good teams until his late 60s.

MannyIsGod
03-12-2022, 07:28 AM
Was wondering when the trolls would come. Imagine trying so hard to take the wind out of all of this and failing when people dgaf about your bad takes and would rather just celebrate the GOAT, Greg Popovich.

quentin_compson
03-12-2022, 07:43 AM
What an amazing achievement! The hug between Pop and DJ is the most beautiful moment in this whole season for me.
:pop:

John B
03-12-2022, 08:13 AM
Nah, the young guys humping around Pop was something I have never seen. And Pop chuckling in the middle, but immediately realized, wtf? parted his way out of it :lol. That was a riot

CGD
03-12-2022, 09:22 AM
This year, Murray developed into an all-star, Pop got the record for most wins in NBA history, and the Spurs could end up with a top 5 pick.

Big picture, this has been a great season.

Great perspective. On a second tier of accomplishments, you could also add Keldon and Jakobs’ growth.

RD2191
03-12-2022, 09:25 AM
Congrats, Pop. No coach has done more with less imo.

John B
03-12-2022, 09:38 AM
Yep that was nice. Now Pop please tank hard and get us the highest pick possible. I think Pop would relish coaching a top pick inserted in this roster, what possible trades PATFO makes this off-season, and see a realization of that rebuilt, before handling a trusted protege the helm. Plenty of time to separate his record from the pack.

Trill Clinton
03-12-2022, 10:28 AM
congrats to coach Pop!

exstatic
03-12-2022, 11:14 AM
Looking thru the bbref coaches register, I would think the coach with the best chance would be Eric Spoelstra. He’s basically half way there, and is only 51. His win % is higher than Docs. If things remained the same, id say it was a shoo in. He’s with an organization that allows him to stumble occasionally and miss the playoffs. He’s shown the ability to relate to veterans and stars during the Heatles years, and also to develop young players.

The only cloud on his horizon is that The Godfather, Pat Riley, is 76. At some point, he will either retire or die with his boots on, and they will bring in someone new who will likely want their own guy.

Dex
03-12-2022, 11:23 AM
You can't be the greatest coach ever if you could never repeat and defend your title,,,,especially when all the other greats could like Auerbach, Jackson, and Riley. Even Kerr and Spolestra manned up and got their teams to go back to back and defend their titles,,,

Found Phil Jackson's burner account.

Dex
03-12-2022, 11:26 AM
Looking thru the bbref coaches register, I would think the coach with the best chance would be Eric Spoelstra. He’s basically half way there, and is only 51. His win % is higher than Docs. If things remained the same, id say it was a shoo in. He’s with an organization that allows him to stumble occasionally and miss the playoffs. He’s shown the ability to relate to veterans and stars during the Heatles years, and also to develop young players.

The only cloud on his horizon is that The Godfather, Pat Riley, is 76. At some point, he will either retire or die with his boots on, and they will bring in someone new who will likely want their own guy.

Spo has a good chance because even if the Heat fizzle out (pun intended), any number of teams would be glad to bring him in and he still has a long coaching career ahead of him. The same can't be said for Doc.

That said...fortunes change quickly in the NBA, so time will tell. Pop had the benefit of having a sustained core (Robinson, Duncan, Parker, Ginobili) for 20+ years...so we can't ignore that fact.

The record WILL be broken at some point...but I'm not sure if any coach will ever be able to do it again with the same team, and we are fortunate to say that ALL of those coaching wins came with the Spurs.

Biggems
03-12-2022, 11:47 AM
Honestly, my dream scenario would have been to beat Houston to tie it and the Lakers to surpass it.

However, I am still very happy and at least the Lakers were part of the scenario.

Biggems
03-12-2022, 11:49 AM
The biggest thing that gives me pride about this record is that every single win came in Silver and Black.....the record will get broken one day, but I have a hard time believing that the record breaker will coach only 1 team in doing so.

John B
03-12-2022, 12:33 PM

Agree. Additionally he is next to Kerr for that coveted national team head coach. I have no doubt Spo will be coaching for awhile, and if not with the Heat, it would be with another team wanting to bring his winning culture to their organization.

John B
03-12-2022, 12:36 PM
The biggest thing that gives me pride about this record is that every single win came in Silver and Black.....the record will get broken one day, but I have a hard time believing that the record breaker will coach only 1 team in doing so.

That in itself would be a record, having the most win in one team. That would be very difficult to take over

Rummpd
03-12-2022, 12:39 PM
I have mixed feelings Pop is a fine coach but don’t agree with him many things. But I do like to discuss and debate wines (partial to a good Malbec over most overpriced French) and he is a world class expert that so will give him his due.

CGD
03-12-2022, 12:52 PM
Honestly, my dream scenario would have been to beat Houston to tie it and the Lakers to surpass it.

However, I am still very happy and at least the Lakers were part of the scenario.

I was pleased that it was the Jazz actually. I still remember those SOBs torturing us in the 90s.

spurs10
03-12-2022, 01:32 PM
Was blown way. So happy to see this for Pop, the Spurs, and the fans of this 'little 'ol small market team from south Texas.'

TDomination
03-12-2022, 01:38 PM
I have mixed feelings Pop is a fine coach but don’t agree with him many things. But I do like to discuss and debate wines (partial to a good Malbec over most overpriced French) and he is a world class expert that so will give him his due.

same boat as you in regards to pop

Obi Juan Kenobi
03-12-2022, 01:41 PM
Congrats to Coach Pop!!!

exstatic
03-12-2022, 01:43 PM
I was pleased that it was the Jazz actually. I still remember those SOBs torturing us in the 90s.

It always passed me off that we were never able to play them in the playoffs from 99-03 when the Jazz disintegrated.

BatManu20
03-12-2022, 02:49 PM
Might be short lived. Doc Rivers is likely gonna pass Pop in the next decade and then Spoelstra will pass both of them in due time. He’s only 51 and already has 651 wins (!!) and has stated he plans on coaching for as long as he can.

superbigtime
03-12-2022, 02:56 PM
Pop is special. Deal with it. Congratulations Coach Pop!

Biggems
03-12-2022, 03:13 PM

yeah but I hated the cocky ass rockets too.....and now especially with horry acting like a bitch with his digs at Duncan

MultiTroll
03-12-2022, 03:30 PM
yeah but I hated the cocky ass rockets too.....and now especially with horry acting like a bitch with his digs at Duncan
Seems more attributed to his identifying as Laker now.
Additionally and huge, now pulling a paycheck from the Laker Sports network.

Don't recall Houston players or mgment burning on Duncan. Did they?

SPURt
03-12-2022, 04:53 PM
Us Spurs fans have enjoyed the greatest run by any franchise over a 20 year span. Thank you Pop, Timmy, D Rob, Ginobili, Parker, and everyone that contributed to the Spurs over these years (except maybe Kawhi, he can eat dicks forever). Where do the Spurs go from here? We’ve enjoyed it all, #1 picks, MVPs, COTYs, Championships, it’s all been done. What a ride!

SupremeGuy
03-12-2022, 05:56 PM
Pop is special. Deal with it. Congratulations Coach Pop!Coaches are only as good as their players tbh.

benefactor
03-12-2022, 06:01 PM
Congrats coach.

exstatic
03-12-2022, 06:04 PM
Might be short lived. Doc Rivers is likely gonna pass Pop in the next decade and then Spoelstra will pass both of them in due time. He’s only 51 and already has 651 wins (!!) and has stated he plans on coaching for as long as he can.

I think Spo has a better chance. Doc has become somewhat of a retread, and may not have too many chances after Philly.

heyheymymy
03-12-2022, 06:08 PM
kinda would've rather gotten the record on the Lakers tbh but the Jazz works.

heyheymymy
03-12-2022, 06:16 PM
Really proud of Pop. Pretty cool to have such a historic team to follow. I've been enjoying watching Pop coach this season, really savoring it. He is a living legend and San Antonio is so lucky to have him. This is a pretty distinct record. Objective measure of success. So it's hilarious that the Spurs got a legit locker room celebration like that during a tank season.

Also a mandate on Pop's excellence. Especially important with a young team, guys are reminded why to trust the club and that they are a part of something proven.

PhantomDashCam
03-12-2022, 06:25 PM

SpurPadre
03-12-2022, 06:39 PM
Manu: Awesome things to say about Pop's record.

Admiral: Awesome things to say about Pop's record.

Bunch of other players: Great things to say about Pop's record.

Bunch of coaches: Great things to say about Pop's record.

Duncan: *Crickets*

Parker: He made me watch film on Christmas.

Ah Parker, lmao.

RC_Drunkford
03-12-2022, 07:45 PM
congrats to the GOAT coach :pop:

fuck Phil Jackson

Biggems
03-12-2022, 10:11 PM
Seems more attributed to his identifying as Laker now.
Additionally and huge, now pulling a paycheck from the Laker Sports network.

Don't recall Houston players or mgment burning on Duncan. Did they?

For me personally.....my lifetime NBA hate runs like this

1. Lakers
2. Rockets
3. Malone and Stockton Jazz
4. Jordan Bulls
5. Celtics
6. Dirk Mavs
7. any team with Lebron
8. Portland
9. Seattle/OKC
10. Denver

exstatic
03-13-2022, 08:26 AM
Manu: Awesome things to say about Pop's record.

Admiral: Awesome things to say about Pop's record.

Bunch of other players: Great things to say about Pop's record.

Bunch of coaches: Great things to say about Pop's record.

Duncan: *Crickets*

Parker: He made me watch film on Christmas.

Ah Parker, lmao.

Most of those comments were on social media, a venue Duncan has always avoided.

BatManu20
03-13-2022, 10:22 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNrz8LoVgAIiUJ9?format=jpg&name=large

SpurPadre
03-13-2022, 07:07 PM
Most of those comments were on social media, a venue Duncan has always avoided.

True, I should've qualified that fact. Parker's comments are still ill-fitting, though.

Dverde
03-14-2022, 10:13 AM
https://twitter.com/datrillstak5/status/1502662651616264193

John B
03-14-2022, 05:43 PM
https://www.si.com/nba/2022/03/12/gregg-popovich-wins-record?fbclid=IwAR3EzKf6UmeOyWsE4LP6T3HTiFeYlCp3qG km1iHTGyT-9q4NFptPZ5Qy1BY

The True Legacy of Gregg Popovich

Yes, Pop has won more games than any other coach in NBA history, but he’s also influenced more NBA careers than possibly anyone.

Gregg Popovich just recorded his 1,336th win as an NBA coach—a number that somehow sounds even more amazing when you say each part out loud. One thousand, three hundred and thirty-six. It’s a big number, a weighty number. The most wins by any coach who has roamed an NBA sideline in its 75-year existence. More than Phil Jackson or Red Auerbach, more than Pat Riley or Lenny Wilkens. It is, truly, a phenomenal achievement.

It’s also the least important bullet point on Popovich’s resume. Yes, Pop is one of the greatest coaches of all time, in this or any sport. But that was established long ago, with the five championships, the six Finals appearances and the hundreds (and hundreds and hundreds…) of wins he accrued before passing Don Nelson on Friday. He’d long ago passed all those legends named above. He could have retired five years ago—and still had a case as the greatest NBA coach of the modern era, maybe ever.
Fixating on a win total obscures the man’s true legacy. Popovich didn’t just raise a bunch of banners. He didn’t just coach and cajole and bark these last 26 years roaming the Spurs sideline. He taught, led, listened, adapted, collaborated and counseled, influencing more NBA careers than possibly anyone ever.

Five current NBA head coaches count Pop as a key mentor: Ime Udoka (Boston), Mike Budenholzer (Milwaukee), James Borrego (Charlotte) and Monty Williams (Phoenix), who began as Spurs assistants; and Steve Kerr (Golden State), who played under Pop in San Antonio.

Four former NBA head coaches also began under Pop: Brett Brown, Jacque Vaughn and Mike Brown as assistants, Avery Johnson as a player.

Three Pop disciples are currently running NBA franchises: Sean Marks (Brooklyn), Sam Presti (Oklahoma City) and Kevin Pritchard (Indiana). Five others did so in the recent past: Dennis Lindsey (Utah), Dell Demps (New Orleans), Danny Ferry (Cleveland), Rob Hennigan (Orlando) and Lance Blanks (Phoenix). There are former Spurs in the broadcast booth (Antonio Daniels in New Orleans, Sean Elliott in San Antonio), former Spurs running G League teams (Nazr Mohammed in Oklahoma) and a former Spur helping run the G League itself (Malik Rose), plus countless assistants and scouts scattered across the continent. Becky Hammon will soon leave Pop’s staff to coach the WNBA’s Las Vegas Aces. It’s not just that everyone wants to replicate the Spurs’ success (though they do). It isn’t just that Pop actively advocates for his pupils (though he does, quietly). It’s the fact that the best Pop protégés share his values, and live by his favorite mantra: They’ve all “gotten over” themselves. Meaning: They see beyond individual needs or goals or ego. They work for the greater good. And they can laugh at themselves.
“Get over yourself—that's it,” Rose says, echoing the Pop ethos. “Like, get out of your own way. It’s not about you.”

That might mean something different to each person in Pop’s orbit. For Rose, who played seven-plus seasons for the Spurs, and helped win their first two championships, it meant setting aside grievances during the heat of a game.
“I'm not a selfish dude,” Rose says, “but pride, I guess, would get in the way. And sometimes if I would get a bad call, or something went wrong on the court with me, and I want to say something to the refs or I want to bitch about it to somebody, Pop is like, ‘Look, forget about it. It’s not about your personal battle. It’s not about you. It’s not about you winning a battle with Chris Webber. It’s not about you winning a battle with Dirk Nowitzki. It’s about the Spurs winning the game. So get over yourself, get your head out of your bleep. And let’s get back to our game plan.’ ”. Those who get the concept, stick around and learn and grow. Those who don’t, don’t last. “You look at that list of people you just ran down, and they’re all good people,” Rose says. “And you have to be a good person to be around Pop for as long as all those people on that list have been.”
It’s telling that, no matter which former Spurs player or coach you talk to, discussions about Pop rarely start with basketball. It’s always about a team dinner or a story told over good wine or the civil rights activist who came to speak at practice. It’s always about empathy, family, community, or the pep talk that got you through the day.
“Pop will get tremendous amounts of joy watching the people, his kids, his underlings, his tree, watching us be successful or watching the things that we're doing in life,” says Rose, who is currently the head of basketball operations for the G League. “Not all the pomp and circumstance that comes along with the record.” “He’s gonna hate the spotlight being on him,” Rose adds. “But he has a very, very distinct hand in all of our careers and lives.” As Rose says, it’s not just the “basketball acumen and knowledge and experience” that Pop disciples acquire, “but more importantly, life acumen, knowledge and experience. The stuff he teaches you, it’s foundational, it’s what you build on and it helps steer you through life. That’s one of the things I’m most thankful for.”
Do those things help win games, win championships? Perhaps. The NBA is an intense, stressful, hypercompetitive environment, and the pressures can crush even the strongest of individuals. When a coach leads with his humanity, it matters.

In recent years, that’s also meant speaking out on political issues and championing social-justice causes. Popovich isn’t the first NBA coach to advocate for social change, but his boldness and his stature paved the way for so many of his peers to do the same.
The only thing Pop has ever been truly reluctant to talk about is, well, Pop.
“All of us share in this record,” he said within the first minute of his press conference on Friday. “It’s not mine. It’s ours.”
When he added, “None of us coach for records,” it wasn’t misdirection or false modesty. Just a basic tenet of the Pop Way.
Check the film from Friday’s record-setting win against the Jazz: Popovich didn’t smile at the final buzzer, or when he got a congratulatory hug from Jazz coach Quin Snyder, or another from Jazz veteran Rudy Gay. It wasn’t until he was engulfed in a scrum of giddy, bouncing Spurs players that he at last grinned and chuckled and, for a few seconds at least, indulged the moment.
With Pop, the joy is rarely about himself. He got over himself long ago.

daslicer
03-14-2022, 07:13 PM
https://twitter.com/datrillstak5/status/1502662651616264193

Fuck Jax. His fake ass was trashing Pop a few years ago during the Kawhi saga.

BatManu20
03-15-2022, 01:47 PM
If only he hadn’t subbed Timmy out in Game 6… smh.

BatManu20
03-15-2022, 02:04 PM
Fuck Jax. His fake ass was trashing Pop a few years ago during the Kawhi saga.

Yea Jax just wants to partake in the festivities so he can include himself. He hates Pop and has made that perfectly clear over the past few years.

xeneixemi
03-15-2022, 02:07 PM
Here you find in T-shirts and other things like posters!

https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/q2LYtl1ZAXc0OLtVGdnrdOdtSPmyJD8O_Y2TJZwoKdd-pfN95gaeWu-qkFRB6kyfBuFHaJMLW32IKfn62KzqvBuPhPte-IHa7VTMRmLD2m1hh9sMm34AiEIV5zG7iyc6lg=s0-d-e1-ft#https://ih0.redbubble.net/image.3345050455.2991/raf,100x100,075,f,black.u1.jpg (https://u21545.ct.sendgrid.net/ls/click?upn=d6Q5kVZSAcpvF5hq6BoCyyQaQWrUdZSqAvr1N9sA TV4-2FGuS1IlWUnDia1J9SEAWLG9swrUI1G3-2B4jdZTv0OiaNpBU-2FhK1aMk5yxyZ3pY5FTDdGlXKOLMuSNaDe28ykFMXfIe_jdr3k 7S-2FngtvyrjBQ0KlIvQIxsOgM4djoj9K73MEQTg1HeYIQHP2txEW ZqcPDFSObzbWlW-2Ffb1ut5KpTfZt9FBa-2FRUjsq-2BkB0eqjmgSd94gRNLPRdH628hOuoyQkYpvOVCS0Tf-2BTsnURO5c7RTEjNVsCvnWzYZy65MeeaQ4N8h9uJd5RSTx8HPV lPvsvOojoNspYJ6rQtmcz-2BFUC5ZoSHDoHc-2Bv-2FyiKriIN1mNDqg4J433obtBiP8xu1SQ6ETl-2Fx)

Gregg Popovichhttps://www.redbubble.com/people/technoquotes/works/104512991-gregg-popovich (https://u21545.ct.sendgrid.net/ls/click?upn=d6Q5kVZSAcpvF5hq6BoCyyQaQWrUdZSqAvr1N9sA TV4-2FGuS1IlWUnDia1J9SEAWLG9swrUI1G3-2B4jdZTv0OiaNpBU-2FhK1aMk5yxyZ3pY5FTDdGlXKOLMuSNaDe28ykFMIEfJ_jdr3k 7S-2FngtvyrjBQ0KlIvQIxsOgM4djoj9K73MEQTg1HeYIQHP2txEW ZqcPDFSObzbWlW-2Ffb1ut5KpTfZt9FABubAZn3p9C37GFhevMimDyd9VP9EtYImX OsSry1TaqmOwbqlPcF-2FUTOEOf4TwpBDkQDMHguctvPeqwtbDDDtvoDghAiXgj20kwFG xTIAiYcIDx-2FTDy8i-2Bb6eX-2F1jw-2F6s1ah5DRYB0l-2F8YPh4mhZoKlfmCDn9-2FPsJgUgxs-2FXscl)

spurs10
03-15-2022, 02:10 PM
I have mixed feelings Pop is a fine coach but don’t agree with him many things. But I do like to discuss and debate wines (partial to a good Malbec over most overpriced French) and he is a world class expert that so will give him his due. Well start with knowing that Malbec is a French wine.

MultiTroll
04-02-2023, 11:27 AM
Pop continues to ever so slowly stack wins.
1363 as of today.
1094 Rivers

Will indeed be interesting to watch the gap between Pop n Rivers.
Ironic that it was over a "family members ride on the team plane or not" decision* by Rivers that changed the paths of these two.
I think Pop coaches til at least age 80. If the Spurs luck into Wama, Pop will be possibly unbeatable as regards All Time Wins.

* dk if sauces will ever come out.

MultiTroll
01-10-2024, 09:32 PM
Spurs 130
Pistons 108

For those of you who thought Gregg Pop was finished winning in the NBA, let this game soak in.

MultiTroll
03-13-2024, 05:30 PM
https://i0.wp.com/i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/wteach/pictorials/Gangsta/623_fat-goth-gangster.gif?ssl=1

Pops be winnin backs to backs gam as recently az Thunder anz Indy.

MultiTroll
03-27-2024, 10:31 PM
Pops be gowins backs to back again.