PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs are a top 5 team in the West

Uriel
12-25-2021, 06:31 PM
Even though their record currently has them in 10th place in the West, I believe the Spurs are much better than their record indicates. In fact, I believe they're a top 5 team in the West. Here's why.

First of all, their point differential of +0.9 is good for #5 in the West, ahead of four teams above them with a negative point differential and one other team with a positive but lower point differential.

And we all know that point differential is a better predictor of future performance than win-loss record. In fact, if go by point differential alone, the Spurs should be a 16-15 team right now.

Second, even that point differential is made to look lower than it should be because of that extended stretch in early November where Poeltl was out due to health and safety protocols.

During that time, the Spurs went 2-5. If we exclude those games, the Spurs would have a point differential of +2.1, which is equivalent to an 18-13 record. That would put the Spurs at #4 in the West.

In summary, the Spurs are better than their record indicates because of their high point differential and all the games Poeltl missed due to health and safety protocols. When fully healthy and at their best, the Spurs are a top 5 team in the West.

mo7888
12-25-2021, 06:38 PM
I'd like to agree with you but I can't. Poeltl may have been out but plenty of teams have had key players out because of the protocols. In fact, we've had less consequences from the protocol than most teams. You can make the argument that if you include that in the mix we may be slotted to high right now.

Uriel
12-25-2021, 06:59 PM
I'd like to agree with you but I can't. Poeltl may have been out but plenty of teams have had key players out because of the protocols. In fact, we've had less consequences from the protocol than most teams. You can make the argument that if you include that in the mix we may be slotted to high right now.
Even if we exclude the part about health and safety protocols, the Spurs' raw point differential is in the top 5 in the West.

exstatic
12-25-2021, 07:27 PM

HASP has really only been a thing in December. The Lakers had LeBron, Westchuck, and Carmelo. The Clippers had PG13. Utah had Gobert, Mitchell, and Conley. Hell, the only team we faced that was really short handed was Sacto, and we LOST.

slick'81
12-25-2021, 07:46 PM
Spurs really starting to gel. Gonna be scary by the end of the season.

FutureMan
12-25-2021, 08:36 PM
Even though their record currently has them in 10th place in the West, I believe the Spurs are much better than their record indicates. In fact, I believe they're a top 5 team in the West. Here's why.

First of all, their point differential of +0.9 is good for #5 in the West, ahead of four teams above them with a negative point differential and one other team with a positive but lower point differential.

And we all know that point differential is a better predictor of future performance than win-loss record. In fact, if go by point differential alone, the Spurs should be a 16-15 team right now.

Second, even that point differential is made to look lower than it should be because of that extended stretch in early November where Poeltl was out due to health and safety protocols.

During that time, the Spurs went 2-5. If we exclude those games, the Spurs would have a point differential of +2.1, which is equivalent to an 18-13 record. That would put the Spurs at #4 in the West.

In summary, the Spurs are better than their record indicates because of their high point differential and all the games Poeltl missed due to health and safety protocols. When fully healthy and at their best, the Spurs are a top 5 team in the West.

IMO with a top 4 pick next year they will be.

Out of curiosity who do you believe is the 4th best team?

BatManu20
12-25-2021, 09:13 PM
Spurs are definitely trending up. Players are developing and gaining confidence. Still inconsistent, as all teams are. But things are looking up. Only negative is that dream of a Top-3 draft pick is basically dead tbh.

BillMc
12-25-2021, 09:16 PM
Spurs are looking much better and now are a young team with a future. Still, need someone to emerge as a true star. I thought that'd be a future acquisition or just maybe Primo in about 2 years but hopefully a star is born sooner. Someone on the current roster go supernova please!!

RC_Drunkford
12-25-2021, 09:27 PM
They not top 5 yet and that’s a weak argument. But they are elite in a lot
of stats and are trending up in a lot of other categories. Also the schedule gets a lot easier by march. I think this team could get the 6th seed, but they would need to do a trade for a starting PF. They are definitely better than their position in the standings right now

Uriel
12-25-2021, 10:48 PM
IMO with a top 4 pick next year they will be.

Out of curiosity who do you believe is the 4th best team?
If we go by point differential, right now, it would be Memphis.

Uriel
12-25-2021, 10:49 PM
They not top 5 yet and that’s a weak argument. But they are elite in a lot
of stats and are trending up in a lot of other categories. Also the schedule gets a lot easier by march. I think this team could get the 6th seed, but they would need to do a trade for a starting PF. They are definitely better than their position in the standings right now
So it’s a weak argument because the Spurs are a top 6 team in the West instead of top 5?

gambit1990
12-26-2021, 02:05 AM
no, they aren't :lol

spurs can't win and the spurs can't tank, they're stuck.

OP proved me right without meaning to. even the if the spurs were the fifth best team in the west... who cares ?? that just means no high draft pick.

ismael-robert
12-26-2021, 02:08 AM
Collins is our pf

Robz4000
12-26-2021, 03:55 AM
Spurs are definitely trending up. Players are developing and gaining confidence. Still inconsistent, as all teams are. But things are looking up. Only negative is that dream of a Top-3 draft pick is basically dead tbh.

:depressed

John B
12-26-2021, 03:59 AM
I think Pop has found his roster rotation which includes more of Jock and Diop, and less of Thad and Eubanks. I think they are a better team than what their record shows and should just get better. Currently they’re at 10. Are they better than TWolves? I think so. Mavs? Maybe. That puts Spurs at 8th?

dbestpro
12-26-2021, 07:56 AM
I like how Jock spreads the floor and creates open shots for everyone. He is exactly what a modern NBA center should look like. You don't need to be athletic to shoot the three and interior defense is not as important as rebounding as everyone is chucking the three.

RC_Drunkford
12-26-2021, 10:38 AM
So it’s a weak argument because the Spurs are a top 6 team in the West instead of top 5?

no it's a weak argument to say the Spurs are a top 5 team in the West cause of point differential. I made a list of all the team stats in another thread and they are top 10 in a lot of categories while only being in the bottom 3rd on 3PA FTA and FT%. I'm also not saying they are a top 6 team in the west, I'm saying they could be if they make a trade. I think they more like top 8 right now, but time will tell.

LeBowen
12-26-2021, 11:19 AM
Spurs aren't a top6 team because there's no playoffs experience on the team.
And there's not a single player who can consistently deliver guaranteed 20+ points in the playoffs.

But the future is looking relatively bright. I'm just pessimistic about PATFO.
If an opportunity to acquire a top player presents itself, they most likely wouldn't pull the trigger, they care about picks way too much.

All of our young guys are good, but in the NBA it's almost always better to have one elite player than several good ones.

If it was up to me I'd look to cash in Derrick and Jakob.
Derrick because of his injury history and too many guards on the roster and Jakob because I don't think he'll get any better.

His current deal is amazing, but he'll surely ask for around 15 million per year for the extension and that's when his value drops.
Elite rim protector against penetration from the perimeter, but superstar bigs always cook him. Great rebounder and decent finisher, but he won't be able to stay on the floor in the playoffs if he keep shoting less than 50% from the line.

Not to mention that Spurs have the potential to be an elite offense if their starting big could stretch the floor.
I feel like competent GM would fleece a desperate contender in a Derrick+Jakob deal.

Extra Stout
12-26-2021, 01:54 PM
I think every season has its ebb and flow, and that the Spurs are flowing right now while others are ebbing. Even so, I could see their making the playoffs. The Lakers, Clippers and Blazers are all dog shit. The Spurs don’t have any elite players (though DJM is getting close), but Pop has them playing their best.

daslicer
12-26-2021, 02:14 PM
Spurs need a legit PF before they can have even a chance of being a top 5 team in the West.

8sy21vd
12-26-2021, 02:23 PM
Like many have said, we need a legit 4 and we could be in the mix for a 4-5-6 seed. The West is soft after PHX, GSW and UT this season. As of right now, we'll likely end up between #7-10 if we stay relatively healthy.

itzsoweezee
12-26-2021, 02:27 PM
Spurs have lost a bunch of games to bad teams. Very unlikely they are anything other than a 10 seed. But maybe they’ll get lucky with injuries/Covid

Mugen
12-26-2021, 02:27 PM
:lol

Fireball
12-26-2021, 03:17 PM
i dont buy it … spurs are better than 10th but not 5th …

exstatic
12-26-2021, 03:44 PM
i dont buy it … spurs are better than 10th but not 5th …

Bbref has their expected record, based on Netrtg and SoS at 16-15, which would put us 6th right now.

DMC
12-26-2021, 06:05 PM

They are what their record says they are.

Dejounte
12-26-2021, 06:19 PM

Except they aren’t. This team’s measurement of success is not the same as a normal year without COVID protocol affecting availability. And I say that for all NBA teams. Not a single team right now has a record showing how good or bad they are.

Mr. Body
12-26-2021, 06:50 PM
The West -- alongside the league -- is pretty flat right now, with Denver and Portland not looking great, for example. The Spurs look much different than they did the first 10-15 games (many of which they would win if played again). At this point, I'd be close to surprised if they weren't a playoff team at the end. Maybe something changes, but they look like a handful.

exstatic
12-26-2021, 07:31 PM

Yeah, OK, Bill Parcells.

DMC
12-26-2021, 08:02 PM
Except they aren’t. This team’s measurement of success is not the same as a normal year without COVID protocol affecting availability. And I say that for all NBA teams. Not a single team right now has a record showing how good or bad they are.

Except they do. Staying healthy and available has always been a caveat for team success. It doesn't matter how good the roster is. It only matters how good the team on the floor is.

Dejounte
12-26-2021, 08:05 PM
Except they do. Staying healthy and available has always been a caveat for team success. It doesn't matter how good the roster is. It only matters how good the team on the floor is.

Except they don’t. You don’t think availability by COVID is roll of the dice right now? It’s like having a freak injury happen to your players. It’s not equivalent to “staying healthy”. You don’t anticipate or prepare for COVID. It happens to you even if youre vaccinated or masked.

tonight...you
12-26-2021, 08:23 PM
Which is a statement proving yourself kinda wrong.

The team on the floor can change from night to night so you never know what team you're getting until you all matchup with relatively healthy rosters for an extended period of time.
Not perfect health, but relative health and then you know a hell of a lot more.

The records are all a little anomalous because of extenuating factors for every team on any given night.

Right now?
All I can say is like the way the Spurs are playing and I'm thoroughly enjoying the growth through this season for the team.

Maybe a little action ends up happening at the end of the season.

The Truth #6
12-26-2021, 08:38 PM
Either way, maybe we need to play Eubanks more so we aren’t TOO good and kill our draft prospects for a top pick.

ismael-robert
12-26-2021, 09:25 PM
The West -- alongside the league -- is pretty flat right now, with Denver and Portland not looking great, for example. The Spurs look much different than they did the first 10-15 games (many of which they would win if played again). At this point, I'd be close to surprised if they weren't a playoff team at the end. Maybe something changes, but they look like a handful.

Exactly. As of Monday the west was still 10 games ahead of east (don't remember who said east was better this year). Since the players only meeting they have been a different team so they basically started their season over n hit reset button. They also don't need consistent 20 plus scorers because they're a loaded team and unknown players can go off any night so defenses don't know who to focus on and are spread thin.

Uriel
12-26-2021, 09:35 PM
UPDATE: Point differential is now up to +2.0, making our expected record 18-14. That would put us at #5 in the West.

BillMc
12-26-2021, 09:41 PM
Not sure we're top 5, but I'm not sure we'll be too far behind the Lakers. Their schedule is murder.

JPB
12-26-2021, 09:44 PM
Spurs litterally doubled their point diff with tonight victory vs. the mighty pistons... They're +2.0 now...

Anyway, I agree that's not irrealistic to target the top 5-6. Took some games to find their identity but they're at least a 50-50 team and probably better.

Uriel
12-26-2021, 09:49 PM
FWIW, FiveThirtyEight’s ELO rating and Basketball Reference’s Simple Rating System also have the Spurs as the #5 team in the West.

Uriel
12-26-2021, 09:51 PM
So does ESPN’s Basketball Power Index.

Basically, all the advanced team stats are saying the Spurs are top 5 in the West right now.

Dejounte
12-26-2021, 09:54 PM
Before this thread was made, DJ didn’t have COVID

after this thread was made, DJ gets COVID

hardcore jinx thread

The Truth #6
12-26-2021, 11:20 PM
Before this thread was made, DJ didn’t have COVID

after this thread was made, DJ gets COVID

hardcore jinx thread

Yikes. Didn't know he had Covid. Hopefully, he isn't swarmed with symptoms and actually gets some rest as he's been carrying the team on his back until recently.

Mr. Body
12-27-2021, 12:15 AM
Not sure we're top 5, but I'm not sure we'll be too far behind the Lakers. Their schedule is murder.

At this point I'd be surprised to see the Lakers finish above the Spurs.

The Truth #6
12-27-2021, 01:06 AM
I'll say this: this is a cool moment for the Spurs, especially given the drain of the Nephew drama and then the DDR disaster, so to speak.

Lots of young players improving. Starting to win (even if more lottery balls makes more sense, this is still fun to watch). And not too many players locked up on second contracts yet, so lots of young players contributing. That seems really rare, to have a team playing well, with only DJ as our "star" but not in a heliotropic sense with everyone built around him like how its done with literally every other team. At some point some player won't get resigned and we'll have to prioritize this player over that one, and a more rigid talent hierarchy will establish itself, but for now, it's such a refreshing, democratic counterpoint to the rest of the NBA, if that makes sense. And if this is Pop's last season? What a way to go out. Maybe not glamorous, but with a surprising amount of grace given what a disaster the NBA has become.

ismael-robert
12-27-2021, 02:58 AM
Woh that's pretty deep. Pop proving all da haters, including those here (take keys away from gpa?), wrong n giving them all one last, how the F u like us now?! Everyone thought we were tanking n gonna suck but what we got is a case of COTY

rascal
12-27-2021, 05:37 AM
Spurs winning enough to miss out on getting the badly needed star in the draft.

ismael-robert
12-27-2021, 09:54 AM
Maybe the point you're all missing is they don't need anything. Primo will get called up, Collins will be active and we'll be done...plus whatever happens with thad

slick'81
12-27-2021, 09:57 AM
Just trade thad for a pick and were golden

RC_Drunkford
01-01-2022, 09:58 PM
:lmao :lmao

BackHome
01-01-2022, 11:17 PM
Our record has been this good because we have not been hit hard with Covid like a lot of teams have. Well it looks like we finally getting hit and we are going to take a hard nose dive lots of L's coming due to us not being a good team having terrible bench and the nail in the coffin COVID....etc...........

KobesAchilles
01-01-2022, 11:45 PM
Yeah you can’t bring up Covid or injuries when the whole league is dealing with it. We aren’t a top 5 team in the west. But I think we have shown some talent in areas that give me faith in the team. We need to cut bait with half the team though next year. Lonnie, bryn, young, Ewwbanks and Zollins.

DMC
01-02-2022, 12:13 AM

I hit the nail right on the coffin.

KingKev
01-02-2022, 01:12 AM
Yeah you can’t bring up Covid or injuries when the whole league is dealing with it. We aren’t a top 5 team in the west. But I think we have shown some talent in areas that give me faith in the team. We need to cut bait with half the team though next year. Lonnie, bryn, young, Ewwbanks and Zollins.

Zollins hasn’t even played?

offset formation
01-02-2022, 01:16 AM

We're more than a third of the way into the season. Most teams have had players miss about 7 games or fewer. I'd agree it's had some impact on the positioning of teams but with each passing game we're getting closer and closer to the truism of you are what your record says you are being accurate. Every team is gonna be impacted and it'll all balance out by year's end or sooner with the infectiousness of the Omicron variant.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-02-2022, 01:20 AM
ride the L train baby!

:lma :lma :lma

Texas_Ranger
01-02-2022, 01:27 AM
Top 5 from the bottom for sure.

spurraider21
01-02-2022, 01:28 AM
I hit the nail right on the coffin.
That’s not what that expression means. Think you mean you pinned the tail on the donkey

spurraider21
01-02-2022, 01:29 AM
We could sign Len bias tomorrow. Can’t complain that he won’t play games either

KingKev
01-02-2022, 01:39 AM
We could sign Len bias tomorrow. Can’t complain that he won’t play games either

We knew his injury history and timeline for return when we signed him. Probably makes sense to see what he has in him after we actually give him a chance to rehab and get back into game shape.

KobesAchilles
01-02-2022, 10:49 AM
Dude is super injury prone. Not even sure if he’s gonna play this year. He’s going to be very rusty, outta game shape, and slow footed. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ewwbanks is faster than him on the perimeter. We had our charity case for the year. We don’t need one next year

Dirks_Finale
01-02-2022, 11:00 AM

This.

I knew when the spurs got a few big wins the homers would come out and start declaring them to be elite :lol

Not top 5 no matter what angle you take, but I do think they are top 8 with some nice pieces. Trim some fat from the roster and they can become top 5 next year with some moves.

Dex
01-02-2022, 11:27 AM
This post has not aged well.

gambit1990
01-02-2022, 12:53 PM
no, they aren't :lol

gambit1990
01-02-2022, 12:54 PM
“the spurs are a top 5 team in the west” sounds like something derek zoolander would say.

KingKev
01-02-2022, 01:27 PM
Two games from 4th in the tank….

Not a bad place to be. Tanking with dignity, getting a great opportunity to see what players are more likely long term pieces and who can be moved.

Embrace the tank ppl.

slick'81
01-02-2022, 01:32 PM
“the spurs are a top 5 team in the west” sounds like something derek zoolander would say.

:rollinUrinal

Mugen
01-02-2022, 01:57 PM
:lmao

Sugus
01-02-2022, 02:00 PM

Not a bad place to be. Tanking with dignity, getting a great opportunity to see what players are more likely long term pieces and who can be moved.

Embrace the tank ppl.

I'm loving this season. It's exactly what I wanted when we all said DeRozan should go. No more vet clogging the minutes and shots, young players get winning (and losing) experiences and plenty gametime, we can take an actual look at everyone and see who's a keeper and who isn't, AND the losses start piling up in a natural way, without the drama and bad locker room antics of a "blatantly tanking" team (Rockettes, anyone?).

All we need now is to keep it steady, a little luck with dem ping pong balls, and a good draft, which I'm absolutely confident the Spurs can pull off. We're getting there...

KingKev
01-02-2022, 02:16 PM
I'm loving this season. It's exactly what I wanted when we all said DeRozan should go. No more vet clogging the minutes and shots, young players get winning (and losing) experiences and plenty gametime, we can take an actual look at everyone and see who's a keeper and who isn't, AND the losses start piling up in a natural way, without the drama and bad locker room antics of a "blatantly tanking" team (Rockettes, anyone?).

All we need now is to keep it steady, a little luck with dem ping pong balls, and a good draft, which I'm absolutely confident the Spurs can pull off. We're getting there...

Yeah I think you and I are approaching this similarly. Goldilocks scenario. Some other positives:

1. Giving everyone a solid chance to solidify their spot means we might be able to clear the logjam at the guard spot and actually get something in return for the pieces who aren’t long term or who have simply been outplayed. For me White, Walker fit this mold well.
2. Tre Jones might be a career backup PG but he is quietly producing when given a chance. Might be a decent sweetener given he is signed for 2 years for nothing and is still very young.
3. We have some nice SRP’s to play with this year in Detroit and LA’s SRP
4. We have cap flexibility and can easily rent out another year’s cap space for draft capital in market that is thin on free agents and thin and cap space.
5. Some of the cliff jumpers might finally jump

gambit1990
01-02-2022, 02:16 PM
:rollinUrinal

https://media.makeameme.org/created/the-spurs-are-79dc6b294f.jpg

John B
01-02-2022, 02:27 PM

I conceded earlier in the season that the Spurs are in a rebuilding year, so not to have high expectations. But to be beaten by a quasi G Leaguers? I can’t seem to distinguish, if any difference, with “rebuilding” and “tanking.” Truly a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde team, from going toe-to-toe with better teams then playing down with mediocre teams. It’s crazy frustrating :(

Sugus
01-02-2022, 02:39 PM
I conceded earlier in the season that the Spurs are in a rebuilding year, so not to have high expectations. But to be beaten by a quasi G Leaguers? I can’t seem to distinguish, if any difference, with “rebuilding” and “tanking.” Truly a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde team, from going toe-to-toe with better teams then playing down with mediocre teams. It’s crazy frustrating :(

The difference? The Spurs lost 116-117. Meanwhile, the Rockettes:

[Charania] Wood played eight minutes during the first half, going scoreless on 0-for-4 shooting. Wood was late to pregame warmups and came off the bench to start the game, but he informed coaches at halftime that he had no desire to play in the second half, sources said.

Houston trailed Denver 77-55 at half after allowing 47 points in the second quarter. Porter had eight points and three assists in 16 minutes.

Wood played eight minutes during the first half, going scoreless on 0-for-4 shooting. Wood was late to pregame warmups and came off the bench to start the game, but he informed coaches at halftime that he had no desire to play in the second half, sources said.

[Tim MacMahon] Rockets point guard Kevin Porter Jr. lost his temper during a heated halftime discussion and didn’t return to the court, leaving the Toyota Center during the second half of tonight's loss to the Nuggets

There's rebuilding, and then there's tanking. The Rockettes have blown their team, culture, everything to bits. We'll see in a few years how each approach works out (LolGambit) but so far, I like the Spurs' one much better, tbh.

offset formation
01-02-2022, 02:49 PM
The difference? The Spurs lost 116-117. Meanwhile, the Rockettes:

There's rebuilding, and then there's tanking. The Rockettes have blown their team, culture, everything to bits. We'll see in a few years how each approach works out (LolGambit) but so far, I like the Spurs' one much better, tbh.

To be fair to what happened last night, an old school coach in John Lucas got on two players he felt were dogging it. Why? Because they aren't officially dogging it. They actually won like 7 or 8 games in a row at one point. They are trying. Theyre only like 2 or so games off our pace, lol. They just have an almost universally young team, even moreso than the Spurs. And they have a team that knows they're rebuilding as opposed to ours who went into the season talking about the playoffs as a marker. I'd be careful looking down your nose at the "Rockettes." If we don't watch ourselves and our rebuilding efforts, they'll be looking in their rearview at us for a long, long time to come.

ginobilized
01-02-2022, 03:26 PM
FIXED

The Spurs are a top 5 team in the Southwest

Sugus
01-02-2022, 03:45 PM
To be fair to what happened last night, an old school coach in John Lucas got on two players he felt were dogging it. Why? Because they aren't officially dogging it. They actually won like 7 or 8 games in a row at one point. They are trying. Theyre only like 2 or so games off our pace, lol. They just have an almost universally young team, even moreso than the Spurs. And they have a team that knows they're rebuilding as opposed to ours who went into the season talking about the playoffs as a marker. I'd be careful looking down your nose at the "Rockettes." If we don't watch ourselves and our rebuilding efforts, they'll be looking in their rearview at us for a long, long time to come.

I'm sure most players on truly tanking teams aren't "officially dogging" it. Everyone wants to win, especially at the highest levels - which is exactly why last night is such a big issue for the Rockettes. Both KPJ and Wood were lauded as big pieces in the R's rebuild all season (you had, if you've been watching, numerous posters [cough, Gambit] hyping up the R's rebuild because they had a shooting 5, a "star-strudden" player in KPJ, etc). Having these players revolt and trash the lockerroom is a big issue because not only does it worsen the current team (which they could care less about), it hurts them going forward - no one's dropping even a SRP for KPJ until he shows he's matured, and same goes for Wood, both players having had a reputation for being divas even before getting to Houston.

I don't care about their win pace or numbers (matter-of-factly, I'd love for them to overtake us and give us better lotto odds, lol). I'm talking about the future. The Rockettes are strapped for picks after all their deals, with the Harden picks potentially being very late ones given the stability of Brooklyn, and no other assets. They've drafted well (I was team Sengun and still am :depressed) but they're a dumpster fire, without much glimmer of getting better in the near future. The Spurs, despite a bad W-L record, are far from that picture.

If you don't believe me, just imagine how Spurstalk (and Spurs fans in general) would react if Jakob dissed Pop at halftime and literally left the AT&T Center before the second half. He wouldn't be able to step on the court another game, and rightfully so. Meanwhile, Wood's already getting apologized for, his behavior normalized, no significant backlash. Night and day difference.

daslicer
01-02-2022, 04:35 PM

Embrace the tank ppl.

Agreed. We have gotten to see flashes of this team being decent when healthy, but we honestly know if this team was healthy in the best scenario, they would be an 7th or 8th seed. It's also been fun watching Dejounte take another step in his development when it comes to being a better playmaker.

TD 21
01-02-2022, 06:33 PM

This and I don't attribute much of the crunch time struggles to luck. Sure, that always plays a part and it's rarely been on their side for years. Still, the bigger issue is they don't have an efficient source of half court offense, so once the game slows down and the opposing defense is locked in, they're inevitably going to struggle.

Agreed. We have gotten to see flashes of this team being decent when healthy, but we honestly know if this team was healthy in the best scenario, they would be an 7th or 8th seed. It's also been fun watching Dejounte take another step in his development when it comes to being a better playmaker.

I don't see it. They have no identity. They seemingly want to be a defensive team, yet continue to not have a credible modern four (gimpy Gay was the only one they've had in this era) and lack size/length at every position outside of PG.

R. DeMurre
01-03-2022, 01:23 AM
I like the direction the Spurs are moving in, but Top 5 seems incredibly optimistic. The Clippers have played the entire season without their best player, and their second best player has missed 11 games... and they still have a better record than the Spurs. Denver has played all year without their second best guy, and also has a better record. New Orleans hasn't seen their best player one time yet this season, and they're only a game and a half behind the Spurs. Sacramento is a decent PF away from being a playoff team, and Minnesota is a PG away from being the same. I have high hopes for the Spurs next season, after another draft and another shot at replacing-- through trades or FA signings-- the net negative minutes of McDermott, Walker, & Forbes... but until then, i wouldn't put them in the top 5.

gambit1990
01-03-2022, 02:32 AM
stop bashing OP, he just misspelled grizzlies.

BackHome
01-03-2022, 09:43 AM
I think the title is wrong cause it should say “Spurs Top 5 Worse Team In The West”. I don’t think we have any direction be that short term or long term. This team needs a HUGE upgrade in talent at almost every position - We have a ton of SG who can’t shoot and play undersized at every other position other then Center. To be successful in anything you have to take chances and the Spurs Organization hates doing that they like to stay in there comfort zone which when your team is not good is not a good place to be in.

CGD
01-03-2022, 01:44 PM

Embrace the tank ppl.

Co-sign.

COVID irregularities aside, this crew is playing with heart and makes it interesting to watch on most nights. They just need more all around talent at all position, perhaps with exception of PG, which is what you get with good draft capital.

R. DeMurre
01-04-2022, 11:30 PM
This thread is quiet tonight.

horseshue
01-05-2022, 01:43 AM
You know it is bad, when poodle is your best player.

tim_duncan_fan
01-05-2022, 01:59 AM
Every person on this team thinks they are done as soon as they get 10 points and a rebound.

Not a single hungry and tenacious player on the whole squad. It's annoying af.

You know it is bad, when poodle is your best player.

They've been trying to run offense through him since Day 1 of this season. That was always a bad sign.

gambit1990
01-05-2022, 02:15 AM
rip OP

ismael-robert
01-05-2022, 10:29 PM
With full healthy roster he's right

Uriel
01-06-2022, 09:31 AM
My original post said “when fully healthy and at their best.” Spurs had played those last 4 games without their best player and went 0-4.

Then they get him back and get another signature win on the road. I said it before and I’ll say it again: when the Spurs are fully healthy and at their best, they’re a top 5 team in the west.

RC_Drunkford
01-06-2022, 10:01 AM
My original post said “when fully healthy and at their best.” Spurs had played those last 4 games without their best player and went 0-4.

Then they get him back and get another signature win on the road. I said it before and I’ll say it again: when the Spurs are fully healthy and at their best, they’re a top 5 team in the west.

you forgot that all the other teams have 5 or more players out so that still ain’t true. Spurs are a top 5 team in the west when fully healthy while other teams are missing starters. That I can agree with

sananspursfan21
01-06-2022, 10:10 AM

As crazy as it sounds, I agree. I don’t often get offended at slights against the Spurs but some Boston writer called the Spurs “meh personified” and I got a little mad. Sure, if you haven’t been watching them and take a quick look at their roster and record. But if you’ve watched a game, they can be exciting and it’s evident there’s something there. They’re not a “meh” team because we’re seeing a direction and some glimpses of potential.

8sy21vd
01-06-2022, 04:51 PM
The team was definitely on the upswing til Murray went out. Not only did we loose our best player, it put other guys in roles where they don't excel. They looked a lot better in Boston where Murray can be the primary ball handler and White falls back to the secondary distributor and can expend energy more on defense and slashing to the basket on offense. Now with latest batch of players out, a top 5 pick is certainly possible.

R. DeMurre
01-06-2022, 08:15 PM

But are you including other teams also healthy and at their best? I think the Spurs have a hard time beating the Clippers now with PG as their best player, but with a healthy Kawhi? Not even close. Same with Denver, same with the Lakers. They're certainly not better than Golden State, Phoenix, Utah, or Memphis. A healthy Minnesota and Dallas are questionable. I like the direction they are moving in but Top 5 <right now> seems wildly optimistic.

John B
01-06-2022, 09:04 PM
Maybe 7th or 8th when ALL Teams are healthy.

gambit1990
01-06-2022, 10:00 PM

beating a team under .500 isn't a lot to brag about tbh.

spurraider21
01-06-2022, 10:16 PM
:lol urinel going down with the ship

but we blew out the pistons one time!

benefactor
01-07-2022, 05:57 AM
Urinal with the bads per par

spurraider21
01-11-2022, 04:19 PM
:lmao

Arcadian
01-11-2022, 07:48 PM
When's the last time the Spurs were 10 games below .500? Is this a new rock bottom in the post-Duncan era?

Sugus
01-11-2022, 09:21 PM
When's the last time the Spurs were 10 games below .500? Is this a new rock bottom in the post-Duncan era?

Sounds dramatic when you put it that way, but - surely. This is the first season after Timmy's retirement when the team is actually, truly losing and has no recourse to get back to winning. No star power on the roster either. I think they're headed down a good path that will yield returns in the near and far off future, but right now? Certainly the lowest-floored team they Spurs have fielded in like, 20+ years.

Fireball
01-12-2022, 03:03 AM
what does "at their best" mean? if all other teams are at their best as well, the Spurs definitely are not a Top 5 team in the West

tbdog
01-12-2022, 04:01 AM
It's going to be an interesting trade deadline. Lakers, Sixers, Knicks, pacers, Hawks, blazers are going to make moves. Also Celtics and Jazz should make moves to.

KobesAchilles
01-12-2022, 07:00 AM
Look guys you can’t use record to define who is the best team in the west. Otherwise Utah would’ve won the championship last year. We are clearly a Top 5 team in the west. Sure we aren’t gonna make the playoffs but trust me, these advanced stats say that we SHOULD’VE won games. And that’s all that really matter when it come to defining top teams in the conference.

Also we are missing a lot of players. I know literally every other team in the west has a significant injury but still WE are missing players and that’s all that matters as well

Uriel
01-12-2022, 10:56 AM
Clowning on the COVID-ravaged Spurs after a predictable losing streak. Bold take :rolleyes

MannyIsGod
01-12-2022, 11:35 AM
Clowning on the COVID-ravaged Spurs after a predictable losing streak. Bold take :rolleyes

Bro everyone is covid ravaged. The fact that the Spurs handle it worse than most teams is precisely because they are not a top 5 team in the west. This was just a stupid take and I'm someone who is higher on this team's players than most.

This team is overachieving to hit .500 level play over a long period. Its not a tanking team, but its also not a very good team. If things had broken perfectly for them this year, I don't think anyone thought they would win more than 40ish games. And thats under a perfect scenario. They're still on track for 35ish wins, which is right about where they should be. Maybe they sneak in with some play in game magic, but top 5? lol. No.

baseline bum
01-12-2022, 11:49 AM
At least they're top 5 in the Southwest (division).

NASpurs
01-12-2022, 12:01 PM
At least they're top 5 in the Southwest (division).

Hopefully we'll be top five in the lottery when it's said and done.

Leetonidas
01-12-2022, 05:58 PM
Paul George out for the season and Lillard about to undergo hip surgery and will be out indefinitely. Fucking Spurs are going to make the play in game and end up with the 11th pick again:lol

Uriel
01-12-2022, 08:35 PM
Bro everyone is covid ravaged. The fact that the Spurs handle it worse than most teams is precisely because they are not a top 5 team in the west. This was just a stupid take and I'm someone who is higher on this team's players than most.

This team is overachieving to hit .500 level play over a long period. Its not a tanking team, but its also not a very good team. If things had broken perfectly for them this year, I don't think anyone thought they would win more than 40ish games. And thats under a perfect scenario. They're still on track for 35ish wins, which is right about where they should be. Maybe they sneak in with some play in game magic, but top 5? lol. No.
What makes you say they're handling it worse than most teams?

Uriel
01-12-2022, 08:42 PM
Obviously, I knew this was a bold take when I wrote it and I knew the thread would get bumped when the Spurs inevitably suffered bad losses. But I didn't think people would bump it even when the losses were so clearly attributable to the team being unhealthy.

Especially since I predicated my post on them being a top 5 team in the West when fully healthy and playing at their best. Which they clearly are not.

dbestpro
01-13-2022, 08:16 AM
Looks like the Spurs are now a bottom 5 team.

baseline bum
01-13-2022, 08:22 AM
Paul George out for the season and Lillard about to undergo hip surgery and will be out indefinitely. Fucking Spurs are going to make the play in game and end up with the 11th pick again:lol

:pctoss

baseline bum
01-13-2022, 08:23 AM

Still, lol Clippers gonna be in the lottery and OKC gets their pick.

RC_Drunkford
01-23-2022, 09:26 PM

horseshue
01-24-2022, 04:03 AM
Right now top 5 in tankathon.com.

gambit1990
01-26-2022, 11:19 PM
stop bashing OP, he just misspelled grizzlies.

Thomas82
01-26-2022, 11:49 PM
Right now top 5 in tankathon.com.

They had been bumped down to 6 when I checked earlier.

horseshue
01-26-2022, 11:54 PM
They had been bumped down to 6 when I checked earlier.

That is because rockets outtanked spurs in last game. Still, back on track with another great L. Go grizz. :clap

Robz4000
01-27-2022, 12:49 AM
Spurs are a top 5 guest team in the west.

Thomas82
01-27-2022, 01:02 AM
That is because rockets outtanked spurs in last game. Still, back on track with another great L. Go grizz. :clap

Right on!! And we have the potential to climb higher.