PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't we have just taken Lauri Markkanen as trade bait?

kht
12-26-2021, 10:25 PM
No young free agents ever come to SA willingly. Why didn't we pull a Warriors/D'Angelo Russell situation where we got at least something back? Better than Thaddeous Carroll rotting on the bench.

Chinook
12-26-2021, 10:36 PM
Calling him Thaddeus Carroll is stupid. Young is still obviously a good player who they aren't playing. DeMarre was washed. Dude hasn't even gotten a Field of Dreams call-up like Johnson and Thomas have.

Mark's a mediocre player on a long-term deal. I don't regret the Spurs taking Thad and a first over him, though you can argue that Portland's first or LNJ would've been better returns. We'll see how a Young trade works out. We're back to the point that the Spurs might consider being buyers rather than sellers. If so, Young's buoyant expiring is much better ballast than Mark's meh long-term deal.

exstatic
12-26-2021, 10:51 PM
Markkanen is horrible. Another guy who doesn’t understand how mediocre he is. Doesn’t rebound. Doesn’t defend. He’s a big, slow three.

GAustex
12-26-2021, 11:16 PM
Remember when pop signed DeMarre Carroll.
Good times
Are Holts still paying DeMarre?

Mr. Body
12-27-2021, 12:17 AM
Who the fuck wants Lauri Markkanen?

John B
12-27-2021, 09:40 AM
Earlier maybe I was entertaining the thought, just because Spurs was just too short. But Landale is playing great, likewise Diop and hopefully Zollins. I’m still optimistic Spurs could still flip Thad’s contract to a FRP which should end all this. I didn’t think I would say it, but I’m actually happy with the roster that we have.

And part of me is rooting for them to make the playoffs and reward the young squad for working hard. And part of me is hoping a high draft pick to complete the rebuild.

KobesAchilles
12-27-2021, 09:59 AM
Nope. You want Young’s contract bc it ends soon. Mark wanted big time money and a lot of playing time and seemed like a malcontent. All things you don’t want to have on a young roster. Having a veteran player who is a pro like Young always helps

slick'81
12-27-2021, 10:13 AM
Just end thad's misery already

Fusternino
12-27-2021, 10:15 AM
His contract is already looking like a slimmed-down albatross.

Seventyniner
12-27-2021, 11:35 AM
His contract is already looking like a slimmed-down albatross.

Even though his contract is for a lot of money, I wouldn't call it an albatross because it's expiring. Even if the Spurs buy him out, they still got (what should become) a first for a player who was going to walk anyway.

I still think there might be a mini bidding war among contenders near the deadline, but it's looking less likely that the Spurs can get another first for Thad. A good second or two mediocre ones, perhaps with a young reclamation project, is more realistic.

rjv
12-27-2021, 12:10 PM
it still irks me that the spurs were reportedly interested in markkanen this past summer. to think that the spurs could have had that hack in the lineup instead of landale.

jjspur
12-27-2021, 12:36 PM
Earlier maybe I was entertaining the thought, just because Spurs was just too short. But Landale is playing great, likewise Diop and hopefully Zollins. I’m still optimistic Spurs could still flip Thad’s contract to a FRP which should end all this. I didn’t think I would say it, but I’m actually happy with the roster that we have.

And part of me is rooting for them to make the playoffs and reward the young squad for working hard. And part of me is hoping a high draft pick to complete the rebuild.

I agree with you 100%. Had the exact same thoughts, we just needed some size and a bit of shooting. Landale may not be out playing Markannan yet..., but he sure is doing great for his salary which is a lot. less. The play ins or playoffs don't seem that far away any more.

BackHome
12-27-2021, 01:23 PM
I would take Landale over Markannan all day and every day -

Dverde
12-27-2021, 01:27 PM
Pretty sure Chicago wouldn’t have included the same picks as they did with Thaddeus Old. They may have been wanting Spurs to give up picks to get him.

Fusternino
12-27-2021, 01:45 PM
Even though his contract is for a lot of money, I wouldn't call it an albatross because it's expiring. Even if the Spurs buy him out, they still got (what should become) a first for a player who was going to walk anyway.

I still think there might be a mini bidding war among contenders near the deadline, but it's looking less likely that the Spurs can get another first for Thad. A good second or two mediocre ones, perhaps with a young reclamation project, is more realistic.

I was talking about Lauri.

His play is even somewhat worse than last year, when I'd have wanted a FRP attached from the Bulls in any trade for him.

I am glad we didn't get him.

Unfortunately, the Spurs have not handled their assets correctly in other ways . . . too many guards still and there was clearly something they thought they had in place but fell through, leading to two players getting cut at the position of most need.

Seventyniner
12-27-2021, 02:33 PM
I was talking about Lauri.

His play is even somewhat worse than last year, when I'd have wanted a FRP attached from the Bulls in any trade for him.

I am glad we didn't get him.

Unfortunately, the Spurs have not handled their assets correctly in other ways . . . too many guards still and there was clearly something they thought they had in place but fell through, leading to two players getting cut at the position of most need.

Ah, my mistake. Yes, I wouldn't want Markkanen on his current contract either.

I agree about that last part. There are too many centers too.

R. DeMurre
12-27-2021, 03:00 PM
Cleveland is using Markkanen really wisely, sandwiching him defensively between Jarrett Allen & Mobley, with some Okoro rotations sprinkled in. His contract is pretty reasonable, too. Turned out to be a good signing for them. If Cleveland keeps improving & becomes an actual contender, I think it's with Markkanen as a 7' shooter off the bench, which is a pretty nice weapon to have... and by the time the '23, '24, & '25 seasons roll around, his contract will be viewed as a bargain, just a small percentage higher than the MLE by then.

rankingtear
12-27-2021, 03:14 PM
Thad is just to match salaries. Its Lauri or a first rounder.

lmbebo
11-07-2022, 12:16 PM
Bumping considering the season he is having this year...

exstatic
11-07-2022, 12:27 PM
Bumping considering the season he is having this year...

You mean fucking up Utahs tank? C’Mon. He’s just a big version of McD, all O no D.

DPG21920
11-07-2022, 02:41 PM
Look, not many of us were high on Mark, but lets not change the narrative here :lol

Most of us have to take the L on Mark - hes having a great season on a winning team. Cant deny that just because our takes look bad now lol

RC_Drunkford
11-07-2022, 02:43 PM
Look, not many of us were high on Mark, but lets not change the narrative here :lol

Most of us have to take the L on Mark - hes having a great season on a winning team. Cant deny that just because our takes look bad now lol
exstatic would never :lol

Chinook
11-07-2022, 02:57 PM
I still like the two firsts over Markkanen. But if he were playing like this on last year's team, it would be very interesting

DPG21920
11-07-2022, 03:42 PM
Ya me too. I still take the firsts and I’m good with it. But he’s playing great. Both are true imo.

Ariel
11-07-2022, 05:38 PM
Can't be a hypocrite and say I saw this coming, but props when they're due. The guy is playing his a$$ out, carrying a Utah team that seemed hopeless just a few weeks ago.

stephen jackson
11-07-2022, 08:00 PM
We don’t do anything right per par

CGD
11-07-2022, 08:39 PM
Meh, I still take Malaki, 25 FRP, 25 SRP.

poopbox
11-07-2022, 09:56 PM
Lauri goes to Utah and then starts playing well. Knew he was a racist tbh.

R. DeMurre
11-29-2022, 04:55 AM
So if Utah offered Markkanen for Malaki + the '25 FRP at the trade deadline, there are still multiple people here saying no to that? I don't get that at all. Spurs have 3 FRP in '25. I'd do that trade immediately. Markkanen is better than most people thought, and at the very least would be a huge trade piece.

rankingtear
11-29-2022, 06:10 AM
He has more value than John Collins how the turntables.

exstatic
11-29-2022, 07:14 AM
So if Utah offered Markkanen for Malaki + the '25 FRP at the trade deadline, there are still multiple people here saying no to that? I don't get that at all. Spurs have 3 FRP in '25. I'd do that trade immediately. Markkanen is better than most people thought, and at the very least would be a huge trade piece.

Two things we need to do:
1. Players out, assets in.
2. Crap players/bad contracts in, assets in.

Under no circumstances do you send assets out for a player who has been average to below average for years, but who has had a stellar first quarter of the season.

R. DeMurre
11-29-2022, 10:43 AM
Two things we need to do:
1. Players out, assets in.
2. Crap players/bad contracts in, assets in.

Under no circumstances do you send assets out for a player who has been average to below average for years, but who has had a stellar first quarter of the season.

I'd say Markkanen was above average last year with Cleveland, where he adapted to predominantly playing SF beside Mobley & Jarrett Allen. Cleveland's record took an unexpected jump, just as Utah's has this season, and both times Markkanen was a major impact factor. I get not messing with the Wembanyama tank, but if the trade happened at the deadline the Spurs would only have 17 games left, and by that point in the season their place in the lottery odds would be somewhat clear. You sit him a few games with "back spasms" or something similar, and if by chance you land Victor (or Scoot or Amen or Filipowski) in the draft, you have a 7' shooter to pair with them. At the very minimum, you've got a guy who can be flipped for more assets if the fit somehow doesn't work. I'd say that's better asset management than hoping Malaki turns into a star, or a starter + a '25 FRP. Markkanen at this point almost certainly gets you more than that in a trade.

XDT76
11-29-2022, 11:36 AM
I'd say Markkanen was above average last year with Cleveland, where he adapted to predominantly playing SF beside Mobley & Jarrett Allen. Cleveland's record took an unexpected jump, just as Utah's has this season, and both times Markkanen was a major impact factor. I get not messing with the Wembanyama tank, but if the trade happened at the deadline the Spurs would only have 17 games left, and by that point in the season their place in the lottery odds would be somewhat clear. You sit him a few games with "back spasms" or something similar, and if by chance you land Victor (or Scoot or Amen or Filipowski) in the draft, you have a 7' shooter to pair with them. At the very minimum, you've got a guy who can be flipped for more assets if the fit somehow doesn't work. I'd say that's better asset management than hoping Malaki turns into a star, or a starter + a '25 FRP. Markkanen at this point almost certainly gets you more than that in a trade.

If Markkanen can get more than Malaki and the 25 FRP, why don't Jazz get that instead of trading with us?

R. DeMurre
11-29-2022, 11:52 AM
If Markkanen can get more than Malaki and the 25 FRP, why don't Jazz get that instead of trading with us?

I was only responding to other posters saying they prefer the 2 FRPs to Markkanen. I didn't propose that trade.

exstatic
11-29-2022, 03:36 PM

Trade deadline is mid February. There are two months left in the season. That’s way more than 17 games, probably twice that.

Cleveland’s jump had much more to do with Mobley than Lauri. His numbers were pretty much his career norms.

R. DeMurre
11-29-2022, 03:56 PM
Trade deadline is mid February. There are two months left in the season. That’s way more than 17 games, probably twice that.

Cleveland’s jump had much more to do with Mobley than Lauri. His numbers were pretty much his career norms.

You're right, I counted wrong-- it's 27 games after the Feb 9 trade deadline.

Markkanen's raw stats were about the same for the Cleveland year, but his impact numbers were better across the board, which has been something somewhat steady in his career-- one of the reasons I like him. For example, his WS per 36 numbers in his 6 year career are .079, .078, .084, .109, .127 (Cleveland), .157 (Utah). His BPM those years were -0.2, -0.2, -0.6, +0.1, +0.4, +2.3.... So with different teams, different personnel, and with him playing different positions, his improvement seems to me to be reliable and steady.

TD 21
11-29-2022, 06:52 PM
He always made more sense than McDermott, both as true starting four with upside to double as a win-now piece and trade asset.