PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or does Landale...

xellos88330
12-27-2021, 05:06 AM
seem to be doing things out on the court that reminds me of Boris Diaw. His BBIQ seems very similar to me. Thoughts?

jermaine
12-27-2021, 07:17 AM
He's a confident overseas professional player. Of course he's great an smart. American players Normally rely on athleticism.

Spursfanfromafar
12-27-2021, 08:40 AM
His shooting (so far) reminds me of Ryan Anderson but Anderson had a much wider range. Jock's defense is far better and he is stouter and a true center while Anderson was a PF.

John B
12-27-2021, 08:47 AM
He’s a new version of Scola, who’s finally playing for the Spurs, who is a very smart bball player and can do all the dirty work, plus the outside range. Spurs is fucking lucky to get this guy.

Dejounte
12-27-2021, 08:51 AM
The Spurs were not “fucking lucky” to get Jock. No one else was giving Jock an NBA contract. Jock probably would have been an NBL player his entire career if it weren’t for the Spurs. The Spurs scouted well and they should get credit for it. It’s okay to give credit to them once in a while. It’s not hard.

ceperez
12-27-2021, 09:00 AM
seem to be doing things out on the court that reminds me of Boris Diaw. His BBIQ seems very similar to me. Thoughts?

Without a doubt he's got better basketball instincts than Poetl.

What's curious about his play is that one moment he's camping at the 3 point line and the next moment he's boxing out for position for the offensive rebound. He also is very good at punishing a much smaller player at the rim.

He's doing what Aldridge couldn't (or refuse to) do. Shoot the 3, fight for the offensive rebound and punish the little guy defending him at the post.

John B
12-27-2021, 09:25 AM
The Spurs were not “fucking lucky” to get Jock. No one else was giving Jock an NBA contract. Jock probably would have been an NBL player his entire career if it weren’t for the Spurs. The Spurs scouted well and they should get credit for it. It’s okay to give credit to them once in a while. It’s not hard.

Funny how you twisted my words to fit your narrative. The Spurs are paying dirt cheap for this young, experienced bball player, and yes the Spurs are “fucking lucky” Jock chose the Spurs in a moment’s notice, because he could’ve easily gone to the Dubs or practically anywhere else. Of course it’s Spurs’ scouting him and Patty Mills’ help, but the Spurs got “lucky” or fortunate how things turned out, which Pop almost blew if Jock were not patient not playing him.

GAustex
12-27-2021, 09:26 AM
Senile drunk coach took 30 games to play the dude that every SpursTalk keyboard warrior knew should be playing from the jump

Dejounte
12-27-2021, 09:28 AM
Funny how you twisted my words to fit your narrative. The Spurs are paying dirt cheap for this young, experienced bball player, and yes the Spurs are “fucking lucky” Jock chose the Spurs in a moment’s notice, because he could’ve easily gone to the Dubs or practically anywhere else. Of course it’s Spurs’ scouting him and Patty Mills’ help, but the Spurs got “lucky” or fortunate how things turned out, which Pop almost blew if Jock were not patient not playing him.

Who is twisting who’s words? He could not have “easily gone to the Dubs” when there. was. no. offer. from. any. other. team. Stop lying to fit your narrative.

RC_Drunkford
12-27-2021, 09:49 AM
The Diaw comparison never came to my mind, but there are definitely some similarities although they are quite different in some areas. Dejounte is right, Jock has been complaining about NBA teams not signing him and the Spurs gave him a shot. I don't remember any other offers being out there for him.

slick'81
12-27-2021, 09:51 AM
I said it back when. Best spurs fa signing

Manu-of-steel
12-27-2021, 10:12 AM
Im officially on the Jock bandwagon!

heyheymymy
12-27-2021, 10:41 AM
The delay in playing time could've been on Landale's end imo. Conditioning and playbook.

John B
12-27-2021, 11:03 AM
Who is twisting who’s words? He could not have “easily gone to the Dubs” when there. was. no. offer. from. any. other. team. Stop lying to fit your narrative.

Did I say he had offers? But Spurs were lucky they offered him first, and Jock jumped on the 1st offer, because he’s been pumped to get into the NBA. He did say he had ”many interest” in the NBA: https://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/melbourne-united-star-jock-landale-places-nbl-championship-and-nba-over-league-mvp/news-story/0c6292f0c0792de337b1622b644208c9

Das Texan
12-27-2021, 11:46 AM
But is Jock the same level of wino as Bobo was/is?

Seventyniner
12-27-2021, 11:51 AM
His shooting (so far) reminds me of Ryan Anderson but Anderson had a much wider range. Jock's defense is far better and he is stouter and a true center while Anderson was a PF.

I need to pay more attention to Jock here; I watch most of the games but I don't usually single out specific players to watch.

But even the little I've seen wouldn't point to a comparison to Ryan Anderson. Anderson was strictly a floor-spacing big. Over half the shots Anderson ever took were threes and he hit a very respectable 38% for his career. I think that's what kept him in the league for so long, even though he was a bad defender and rebounder.

Jock's skillset looks far more versatile, and while I am no shot form doctor, I doubt he is as good a three-point shooter as Anderson. Sure he's hitting 63.6% so far but the sample size is very small.

If Jock does turn out to be as good a shooter as Ryan Anderson, the Spurs have found an absolute diamond. But that's the kind of thing you should be able to see in workouts and such, so I'll hold on to my skepticism on this front until we have a larger sample.

Mr. Body
12-27-2021, 11:55 AM
I need to pay more attention to Jock here; I watch most of the games but I don't usually single out specific players to watch.

But even the little I've seen wouldn't point to a comparison to Ryan Anderson. Anderson was strictly a floor-spacing big. Over half the shots Anderson ever took were threes and he hit a very respectable 38% for his career. I think that's what kept him in the league for so long, even though he was a bad defender and rebounder.

Jock's skillset looks far more versatile, and while I am no shot form doctor, I doubt he is as good a three-point shooter as Anderson. Sure he's hitting 63.6% so far but the sample size is very small.

If Jock does turn out to be as good a shooter as Ryan Anderson, the Spurs have found an absolute diamond. But that's the kind of thing you should be able to see in workouts and such, so I'll hold on to my skepticism on this front until we have a larger sample.

Yeah, Ryan Anderson is a strange comparison. I get it -- they're both tall white guys. But Anderson just shot, as you mentioned. The direct comparison is Brook Lopez. Jock isn't the post defender Lopez is (although Jock may be a better playmaker), but they're both in the mold of what you want from that kind of stretch 5 in today's league.

bluebellmaniac
12-27-2021, 11:57 AM
Today's scouting includes lots of international prospects. Why do you think the Spurs saw something that none of the other teams saw? Especially when he was playing on a big stage?

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-27-2021, 12:02 PM
Well, the Diaw comparison is better than the Matt Bonner one that PlayBlair posted.

Diaw was really a converted point guard. Jock is a heady, smart, big man with range. Appears to be better on the glass than Diaw. Not sure the offense can run through him like the Spurs used to do with Boris, though.

He's a great addition, and I think it's pretty evident he's a big step up from Eubanks. The second unit got a lot better with him in there.

CGD
12-27-2021, 12:02 PM
This guy is good, but he’s not better that this year’s Jakob… come on man. Those takes need to stop.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-27-2021, 12:06 PM
This guy is good, but he’s not better that this year’s Jakob… come on man. Those takes need to stop.

Agreed. He's great for the second unit against the backup bigs, but he doesn't have the size or the command on the defensive side of the ball like Jakob. His ability to stretch the floor is nice and situationally he'll fit in very well.

Jakob has proven he belongs. Can't take anything away from him.

John B
12-27-2021, 12:06 PM
Today's scouting includes lots of international prospects. Why do you think the Spurs saw something that none of the other teams saw? Especially when he was playing on a big stage?

His interview says he received “a lot” of NBA interest. It was a matter of time. That’s why I said Sours was “fucking lucky” to have offered him first and Jock jumped on the first offer. I’m sure Patty and Matt Nielsen played a main role also.

RC_Drunkford
12-27-2021, 12:07 PM
I'm really interested in seeing a Jock/Collins pairing. I think they could be incredible together.

John B
12-27-2021, 12:21 PM

His interview says he received “a lot” of NBA interest. It was a matter of time. That’s why I said Sours was “fucking lucky” to have offered him first and Jock jumped on the first offer. I’m sure Patty and Matt Nielsen played a main role also.

jjspur
12-27-2021, 12:22 PM
I truly believe that there are a few people within the spurs organization that really know what they are doing. They scout players, analyze stats, and make decent logical decisions to get those players. Then there are other factions within the organization that draft or acquire players that are one and done. (one spurs contract and they're pretty much out of the NBA). Yeah we got lucky that the smart guys chose to sign Landale and its paying dividends now. Probably the same guys who wanted Bates-Diop over Samanic.

itzsoweezee
12-27-2021, 12:38 PM
I’ma fan, but I don’t see any Diaw comparisons. Poetl, on the other hand, has really elevated his playmaking. If the guy could shoot even a little bit, he’d be a star in the making. Both of those guys make the spurs’ center rotation one of the best in the league.

Dex
12-27-2021, 12:46 PM
I’ma fan, but I don’t see any Diaw comparisons. Poetl, on the other hand, has really elevated his playmaking. If the guy could shoot even a little bit, he’d be a star in the making. Both of those guys make the spurs’ center rotation one of the best in the league.

I think the comparisons are mostly based on the fact that Jock is willing and able to shoot the three, while still doing the little things you want from a post player (set screens, roll hard, rebound, etc.)

Obviously, Diaw wasn't a bomber from deep, but he did it well enough to make other teams respect it. That opens up all sorts of space inside and opportunities for passes or rebounds when you can draw the opposing center out of the post.

Otherwise, I see some similarities in his movement on the court, and he has shown some flashes of quick passing ability and finding the open man. I doubt he will ever reach Diaw levels, but Bobo was just special that way.

MultiTroll
12-27-2021, 12:56 PM
Is it a mental block or is he just completely physically unable to shoot a three at even 25%?

BackHome
12-27-2021, 01:46 PM

I admit I was a Poodle hater but he has vastly improved this year to me he is playing with confidence and it is showing. I think Pop needs to slowly get him more evolved on the offense side as I just love when he gets 8+ rebounds and 10+pts that is great numbers for us.

As for as Landale I think he is a great backup to Poodle he gives you outside shooting better passing and has the experience to lead the young second team. It also allows us to switch players depending what is needed more defense or offense - Ying and Yang..

Seventyniner
12-27-2021, 01:51 PM
Another big positive of Jock showing out is that he's pushed Eubanks back to third-string where he belongs.

John B
12-27-2021, 02:00 PM
Another big positive of Jock showing out is that he's pushed Eubanks back to third-string where he belongs.

:bobo

xellos88330
12-27-2021, 02:06 PM

In the game last night there were a couple of plays where it wasn't a direct assist from Jock. It was when the low post was being fronted and Jock flashed to the high post to receive the pass to dump it to the low block. The help defense collapses on the low block and the pass is made for a wide open three. Diaw did that ALL the time. It was part of the reason why the 2014 team was so special. I am not saying he is the next Diaw, but the way he makes his decisions is similar.

spurraider21
12-27-2021, 02:20 PM
But is Jock the same level of wino as Bobo was/is?
he has a ways to go before he earns his own emoji

Chomag
12-27-2021, 02:23 PM
It sure took Pop long enough to get over himself

John B
12-27-2021, 02:33 PM

Probably drinks Foster’s

Sugus
12-27-2021, 02:33 PM
Is it a mental block or is he just completely physically unable to shoot a three at even 25%?

It's that he physically can't shoot 3's at a high clip (with his FT %/form, shouldn't be surprising). Contrary to SpursTalk belief, teams don't necessarily want or need every single player to be shooters first, and everything else second; unless you can really shoot, it's worse for the team if your center spends possessions on end inefficiently chucking at the basket, creating fastbreak points for the other team and wasting possessions, than it is to simply have him do what he does best, and leave the shooting to your actual shooters.

It's the same reason Gobert doesn't camp out the 3pt line, even though he's routinely seen draining 3's in practice. Practice =/= game.

Dex
12-27-2021, 02:40 PM
It's that he physically can't shoot 3's at a high clip (with his FT %/form, shouldn't be surprising). Contrary to SpursTalk belief, teams don't necessarily want or need every single player to be shooters first, and everything else second; unless you can really shoot, it's worse for the team if your center spends possessions on end inefficiently chucking at the basket, creating fastbreak points for the other team and wasting possessions, than it is to simply have him do what he does best, and leave the shooting to your actual shooters.

It's the same reason Gobert doesn't camp out the 3pt line, even though he's routinely seen draining 3's in practice. Practice =/= game.

Same for Duncan. Timmy only hit 30 threes in his 19-year career, 15 of which came between 2000-2003.

He only attempted 168 over 1392 regular season games...which comes out to 0.12 per game. He could shoot them, he just knew that wasn't his bread and butter.

Still, that didn't stop him from being able to hit one of the biggest threes in Spurs history when he drained it against the Suns in 2008 to send Game 1 to double-overtime and ultimately a victory.

That said...he didn't start chucking up threes after that just because he hit one huge shot. All players should play to their strengths instead of just jumping on the Steph Curry bandwagon.

Rocalcio
12-27-2021, 02:58 PM
Diaw was way more of an overall player. He could play any position.

rogcl1
12-27-2021, 03:22 PM

And there was time for Landale to get over a concussion and Covid.

rogcl1
12-27-2021, 03:24 PM
Landale has a diverse skill set but no comparison to Diaw. Diaw was a point guard early in his career with unique athleticism and skill set.

rogcl1
12-27-2021, 03:38 PM
Senile drunk coach took 30 games to play the dude that every SpursTalk keyboard warrior knew should be playing from the jump

I don't always agree with Pop but Landale did miss time because of Covid and a concussion. Actual time lost plus loss of conditioning ect. Thats why he went to Austin so he could actually play with the big Spurs.

John B
12-27-2021, 04:03 PM
Landale is a bruiser, while the only time Bobo fight is at the kitchen. Joking aside, Diaw has more guard skills.

To me he’s my “Scola” finally coming to the Spurs to play, who plays with grit and will go to battle with, that Spurs have been missing lately, who will win you that 50/50 ball.

itzsoweezee
12-27-2021, 04:05 PM

He doesn’t need to be able to shoot threes at all. However, being able to hit a free throw range jump shot would make things much easier for himself and his teammates.

r0drig0lac
12-27-2021, 04:05 PM
anyone who doesn't just watch Spurs (approximately 10% of this forum) already knew he was a good player, but it has nothing to do with Boris Diaw.

DeRozan m8
12-27-2021, 04:52 PM

Exactly...that dejounte poster is a moron

He took the first offer straight up...

Dejounte
12-27-2021, 05:05 PM

I’ve never seen you make an insightful post. You’re the idiot who likes to just cry all the time. Dumb bitch from down under.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-27-2021, 05:08 PM
He looked pretty good in the olympics. I think had the Spurs not already had him locked up by then we'd definitely of seen him in another NBA uniform, probably for a fatter deal.

MultiTroll
12-27-2021, 05:11 PM

Same for Duncan. Timmy only hit 30 threes in his 19-year career, 15 of which came between 2000-2003.

He only attempted 168 over 1392 regular season games...which comes out to 0.12 per game. He could shoot them, he just knew that wasn't his bread and butter.

Still, that didn't stop him from being able to hit one of the biggest threes in Spurs history when he drained it against the Suns in 2008 to send Game 1 to double-overtime and ultimately a victory.

That said...he didn't start chucking up threes after that just because he hit one huge shot. All players should play to their strengths instead of just jumping on the Steph Curry bandwagon.
https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.24a854b198c76d1d4ad1fc2007726829?rik=mYimvI9cqCE diA&riu=http%3a%2f%2f1.bp.blogspot.com%2f_tnjgFXd9HQU% 2fTMnMD_doR8I%2fAAAAAAAAAA4%2fShcsGHz4Ayg%2fs1600% 2f6.jpg&ehk=asiFV8QSLzaHjepIA8vsm85ZC2RSTIcaTMjpCQyO3JA%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
That's deep.

Dex
12-27-2021, 05:19 PM
https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.24a854b198c76d1d4ad1fc2007726829?rik=mYimvI9cqCE diA&riu=http%3a%2f%2f1.bp.blogspot.com%2f_tnjgFXd9HQU% 2fTMnMD_doR8I%2fAAAAAAAAAA4%2fShcsGHz4Ayg%2fs1600% 2f6.jpg&ehk=asiFV8QSLzaHjepIA8vsm85ZC2RSTIcaTMjpCQyO3JA%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
That's deep.

But why male models?

John B
12-27-2021, 05:38 PM

Agreed… on both statements :lol

MultiTroll
12-27-2021, 05:39 PM
But why male models?
Think about it, Dex.

https://youtu.be/ecW16rLCgiI

Dejounte
12-27-2021, 06:06 PM

You're a dumb fuck with so many bad takes. Get the fuck out of here with your wishy washy takes i.e. Vassell has a couple good games = “He’s Kawhi Leonard!” or the Spurs go on a winning streak = “we have the best team in the universe!” Or the Spurs go on a losing streak = “we need a top 5 pick!”.

tonight...you
12-27-2021, 06:09 PM
I disagree.
Dejounte is one of the best posters here whether you agree with him, or not.

Maybe you guys either have forgotten, or weren't here when it was goobers like TGY and Dabom dominating the boards.
This place was a hell hole.
Dejounte (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=51342) elevates this place: right, or wrong.

You guys are good too. I enjoy y'all, but he doesn't deserve to be dogged.

Now you all can get back to your spat.

John B
12-27-2021, 06:25 PM
I disagree.
Dejounte is one of the best posters here whether you agree with him, or not.

Maybe you guys either have forgotten, or weren't here when it was goobers like TGY and Dabom dominating the boards.
This place was a hell hole.
Dejounte (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=51342) elevates this place: right, or wrong.

You guys are good too. I enjoy y'all, but he doesn't deserve to be dogged.

Now you all can get back to your spat.

Bruh I say it with humor. But this guy’s worst than a hall monitor and parking enforcer combined :lol

Sugus
12-27-2021, 09:04 PM
He doesn’t need to be able to shoot threes at all. However, being able to hit a free throw range jump shot would make things much easier for himself and his teammates.

No disagreements there.

But IMO, considering how "broken" his shooting form is, I would love to see him put that soft touch to use with a couple post moves, that let him use his height to just throw the ball towards the basket. He has no concept of a pump fake, for a basic example. I want him practicing hook shots, baby hook, floaters (he's already good at this but needs added versatility on getting it off), and just about any post move that isn't a straight up jump shot (which I think is a lost cause with him).

MultiTroll
12-27-2021, 11:17 PM
He only attempted 168 over 1392 regular season games.
Poodle has attempted 2 in 7 years.
Of modern day 3 ball (comparitively speaking for old school and most Duncan era Centers.)

Hey, he made one. He's shooting 50% :tu

Poodle needs to add something if he's going to be anything other then a pedestrian C on a .500 team.
How'd he look vs the Jazz tonight? Ya.

Slippy
12-28-2021, 01:30 AM
He looked pretty good in the olympics. I think had the Spurs not already had him locked up by then we'd definitely of seen him in another NBA uniform, probably for a fatter deal.

This . The boomers connection to spurs was a factor.

Spursfanfromafar
12-28-2021, 04:23 AM
Ryan Anderson during his Orlando and New Orleans days was a very good rebounder and a floor spacing big with a very good 3 pt shot. Check his numbers. https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/anderry01.html ..especially per 36 numbers.

tonight...you
12-28-2021, 12:59 PM
Bruh I say it with humor. But this guy’s worst than a hall monitor and parking enforcer combined :lol
Lol! Right on.

KingKev
12-28-2021, 01:27 PM
From the little I know of Jock he has always looked to add to his game. He wasn’t always a 3pt ahooter, now he is looking to hit the weights more and lean out. San Antonio is probably the perfect place for him to grow if the work ethic is there. My understanding is there were some political reasons (agent/business impediments) keeping him from playing in the NBA sooner. He does remind me of a craftier, more athletic Bonner; floor stretching, not afraid to mix it up down-low, sound big man fundamentals ie. not afraid to do some dirty work and play physical.

dbestpro
12-28-2021, 01:34 PM
Jock is listed number 7 on top NBA rookies by CBS. Who saw that coming?

XDT76
12-28-2021, 01:36 PM
And there was time for Landale to get over a concussion and Covid.

Forget it to some posters here those 2 issues never exists.

John B
12-28-2021, 01:46 PM
From the little I know of Jock he has always looked to add to his game. He wasn’t always a 3pt ahooter, now he is looking to hit the weights more and lean out. San Antonio is probably the perfect place for him to grow if the work ethic is there. My understanding is there were some political reasons (agent/business impediments) keeping him from playing in the NBA sooner. He does remind me of a craftier, more athletic Bonner; floor stretching, not afraid to mix it up down-low, sound big man fundamentals ie. not afraid to do some dirty work and play physical.

That’s the key statement. He needs more conditioning and get stronger. He’s listed 7 footer in college, 7’2” wingspan and 256 lbs. I don’t doubt he has the work ethic to improve his game. He’s clawed his way and finally now in the NBA.

Gagnrath
12-29-2021, 07:35 PM

A decent number of Duncan's 3 attempts were also end of quarter heaves off a defensive rebound that I am sure we're more than half goofing off.