PDA

View Full Version : Woj: Becky Hammon Finalizing 5-Year Deal with Las Vegas Aces

BatManu20
12-31-2021, 12:28 AM
Gimme dat Becky.

BatManu20
12-31-2021, 12:34 AM
Best of luck to her tbh. Good opportunity to gain some HC experience and build her resume. Wonder what this means for Pop though

GB20
12-31-2021, 12:35 AM
Manu will replace Pop in the near future.

Barfunk
12-31-2021, 12:39 AM
Unbelievable. Can't believe she did this shit.

BatManu20
12-31-2021, 12:42 AM
Not a fan of when star players become coaches tbh. Almost never ends well. It’s an easy way for a fan base to turn on a beloved member of their organization.

Barfunk
12-31-2021, 12:42 AM
Man, I am pissed.

Degoat
12-31-2021, 12:43 AM
I think the spurs have had Pops replacement in line for years, that’s why none of our Assistants have stuck around very long lately imo

benefactor
12-31-2021, 12:44 AM
Dont care tbh

Uriel
12-31-2021, 12:45 AM
Glad she decided to stay until the end of the season. She probably saw the writing on the wall and knew she wasn’t going to replace Pop as the head coach. Better to become a head coach elsewhere than serve as an assistant for somebody else who will likely want to bring in their own staff.

benefactor
12-31-2021, 12:53 AM
Glad she decided to stay until the end of the season. She probably saw the writing on the wall and knew she wasn’t going to replace Pop as the head coach. Better to become a head coach elsewhere than serve as an assistant for somebody else who will likely want to bring in their own staff.
She went to the shit ass WNBA:lol

:lol Urinal

benefactor
12-31-2021, 12:55 AM
Becky is so overrated by this site. Oh you get to the highest paid WNBA coach?

:lol:lol:lol

Barfunk
12-31-2021, 12:55 AM
Becky is so overrated by this site. Oh you get to the highest paid WNBA coach?

:lol:lol:lol

She had it, I promise you that. Fucking Pop.

Barfunk
12-31-2021, 12:56 AM

Please let this be true.

benefactor
12-31-2021, 12:59 AM
She had it, I promise you that. Fucking Pop.
She didn't have shit. If she was worth a fuck as a head coaching candidate she would have already been plucked from the tree by another team.

:lol Spurfan

BackHome
12-31-2021, 01:06 AM
People over rate every player every coach on this site

Chinook
12-31-2021, 01:07 AM
That summer league title is legit one of my favorite Spurs fan moments. Everyone associated with that team will always have a place in my heart.

I'm not glad or sad that she's not likely to be the next coach of the Spurs now. I am glad they aren't complacent enough to have anointed one. They should consider hiring from outside the org when the time comes versus trying to hold onto mediocre talent with a promise of responsibility they haven't earned.

benefactor
12-31-2021, 01:13 AM
This is a legit demotion. Why in the fuck did she take this job? If you are an NBA assistant you try to find an NBA coaching gig. Not go back to the fucking WNBA.

Trainwreck2100
12-31-2021, 01:19 AM
This is a legit demotion. Why in the fuck did she take this job? If you are an NBA assistant you try to find an NBA coaching gig. Not go back to the fucking WNBA.

For the bag, and good on her for getting the bag. Don't blame her when she was getting Rooney ruled everytime there was a coaching vacancy. I agree though that she was never guaranteed to take the position and probably wouldn't have been his replacement.

benefactor
12-31-2021, 01:26 AM
For the bag, and good on her for getting the bag. Don't blame her when she was getting Rooney ruled everytime there was a coaching vacancy. I agree though that she was never guaranteed to take the position and probably wouldn't have been his replacement.
I mean yeah it's money, but professionally the WNBA is a dead end. Literally no one gives a fuck about it. The NBA lets it hang around out of obligation...it operates at a loss every fucking year

Trainwreck2100
12-31-2021, 01:31 AM
I mean yeah it's money, but professionally the WNBA is a dead end. Literally no one gives a fuck about it. The NBA lets it hang around out of obligation...it operates at a loss every fucking year

I'm holding judgement till I hear the size, I assume it is a stupid contact that she couldn't say no to because she probably figured she'd by stuck as an assistant for the rest of her career

benefactor
12-31-2021, 01:38 AM
I'm holding judgement till I hear the size, I assume it is a stupid contact that she couldn't say no to because she probably figured she'd by stuck as an assistant for the rest of her career
Well I'd rather be an assistant on an NBA staff over going to that shit league. But all money is green I guess if they are willing to pay it

JeffDuncan
12-31-2021, 01:43 AM
The Aces are the former San Antonio Stars. We recall. The Stars went to Vegas in 2018.

The Aces are owned by Mark Davis, who is also the controlling owner of the NFL Raiders. Mark is the son of the late Al Davis, but Mark is apparently a “hands off” type of owner who leaves the sports details to the people he hires.

Since Las Vegas does not have an NBA team the Stars don’t have to compete for attention, with an NBA team, in their local market.

The Aces have retired one jersey number, #25, which is Becky’s old number, first retired by the Stars. So when Becky coaches the Aces, the number she’ll see hanging from the rafters will be her own.

A surprising facet is that the Aces did not have a coaching vacancy. Their coach Bill Laimbeer was not fired, and he will apparently stay on, in a front office capacity.

Mucho dinero, in Las Vegas, and when you look up, it’s your own number hanging from the rafters. That is a sweet gig.

It’s probably a much better job than coaching the Spurs at this time, as they’re well into their third season of a losing record, with no clear end in sight.

rankingtear
12-31-2021, 02:31 AM

Hardy and Becky leaving brings closer to this possibility. The rumor was the front runners were Hardy and Manu ( if he wants ) with Brett as the lead assistant. Would not also mind the Villanova coach.

Fireball
12-31-2021, 03:56 AM
If she is 100% happy with that move then its fine ... I thought she would make history as the the first female NBA head coach

tbdog
12-31-2021, 05:38 AM
That summer league title is legit one of my favorite Spurs fan moments. Everyone associated with that team will always have a place in my heart.

I'm not glad or sad that she's not likely to be the next coach of the Spurs now. I am glad they aren't complacent enough to have anointed one. They should consider hiring from outside the org when the time comes versus trying to hold onto mediocre talent with a promise of responsibility they haven't earned.

I agree. Her calls down the stretch of games were on point. I remember seeing Kyle Anderson spray champagne on her. Lots of joy.

I have this sick feeling that Pop will go down the Sir Alex Ferguson route. He chose David Moyes as the new manager. It didn't turn out. United has had 4 full time managers since Sir Alex retired in 2013.

Dancelot
12-31-2021, 05:48 AM
Well, I’m willing to bet that Pop is staying for another season.

CGD
12-31-2021, 06:44 AM
Bitter sweet. I liked her. I think this makes it harder for her to later make the jump to NBA, since she’ll be seen as women's coach.

CGD
12-31-2021, 06:45 AM
I think the spurs have had Pops replacement in line for years, that’s why none of our Assistants have stuck around very long lately imo

Feels Like it’s been Bill Self for some time. Where there is smoke there is fire.

Robz4000
12-31-2021, 07:03 AM
The next coach will be Brian Wrong's twin brother, Brad Mistake.

Ice009
12-31-2021, 07:36 AM
Hardy and Becky leaving brings closer to this possibility. The rumor was the front runners were Hardy and Manu ( if he wants ) with Brett as the lead assistant. Would not also mind the Villanova coach.

Where did you hear this? I always wanted Manu to be a head coach, but I thought he had absolutely no interest in it. I'd be really happy, but I thought he didn't want to get into coaching at all. I think he'd be a great teacher, but not sure he'd enjoy the day to day stuff.

John B
12-31-2021, 07:50 AM
Report: Spurs assistant Becky Hammon to become next Las Vegas Aces head coach

Congratulations and good luck Coach Becky. Next stop, NBA head coach.

exstatic
12-31-2021, 08:11 AM

Manu won’t even take a full time assists position, because he doesn’t want to travel. His kids are still kids.

Dejounte
12-31-2021, 08:30 AM
Next coach will be someone the players will have a ton of respect for already. I don’t see that person on the coaching staff right now. I’d figure Matt Nielsen would be that guy, but I rarely see anyone except our centers interact with him. We’ve seen Johnson sub in as a coach but he doesn’t seem like he does anything spectacular (to be fair, Becky didn’t either and she’s just extremely overhyped on this board). Highly doubt it’s Manu. I think either Pop is going to be here for awhile or the hiring is going to come from left field but for someone with a lot of credentials. And when I say “a lot of credentials” I don’t necessarily mean NBA head coaching experience.

Mugen
12-31-2021, 08:53 AM
Get that money, Big Time Becks.

Lmk when the old man is no longer around and I'll care about this team more tbh :lol

NASpurs
12-31-2021, 09:02 AM
Get that money, Big Time Becks.

Lmk when the old man is no longer around and I'll care about this team more tbh :lol

The old man is going to coach through a Ouija board from the after life so let's not hold our breaths that he's ever going to let it go.

paperboy77
12-31-2021, 09:44 AM
The old man is going to coach through a Ouija board from the after life so let's not hold our breaths that he's ever going to let it go.

:rollin:rollin

Probably right though.

MannyIsGod
12-31-2021, 11:46 AM
I agree. Her calls down the stretch of games were on point. I remember seeing Kyle Anderson spray champagne on her. Lots of joy.

I have this sick feeling that Pop will go down the Sir Alex Ferguson route. He chose David Moyes as the new manager. It didn't turn out. United has had 4 full time managers since Sir Alex retired in 2013.

It's not like that at all. Moyes is a hell of a coach it's just that man u is run like shit. The Spurs are not man u, we are west ham, Moyes current club.

MannyIsGod
12-31-2021, 11:50 AM
The moment that Duncan was the lead coach over Becky when pop was out of a game I feel this was clear. Frankly, the coaching novel on the Spurs is lower right now than it has been at any pointbin pops tenure. I think Becky knew she was not going to get a head coaching gig in the NBA. Maybe she's not good enough, but I see tons of shit coaches get opportunities left and right. Jason Kidd anyone?

bigfan
12-31-2021, 11:51 AM
Good for her, I hope it works out.

Dverde
12-31-2021, 01:43 PM
Spurs can always bring her back, but I don’t think they will. I don’t blame her, I just think it’s a poor career choice. A lot of WNBA players and coach want to take her down a notch. Jealous of all the attention she got with the Spurs job stint.

Sugus
12-31-2021, 02:15 PM
Sad. Both because I liked the idea of Becky succeeding Pop, and because this is a strong signal towards the "Pop isn't retiring next season" camp.

:lol at posters talking about this being a "demotion" or some shit and saying she should've gone the college route. College, over the best professional women's basketball league in the world? Where she can be HC of the team that she played for, and who retired her number? Lmao. And the only apparent negative for the WNBA is that it operates at a loss. Americans, and making everything entirely and solely about money... Iconic duo.

I don't doubt that she'll keep the NBA HC dream alive and will probably say so the first time an interviewer asks her about it - though I'm not too optimistic that she'll ever get it, especially given the recent blunders of the Blazers FO leaking shit on her and stuff. It's a steeper climb than people think.

Jordan Jackson
12-31-2021, 05:21 PM
I think it’s the coaching and GM positions she’s taking over.

Lots of incels in this thread raging over how irrelevant the WNBA and Becky is. Yeesh. Get help.

Anyway, if it’s really both positions - she should take it. Wish her luck.

TDMVPDPOY
12-31-2021, 05:42 PM
whats pops record against former spurs player coaches?...and i dont believe in that no mercy rule to let new coach get a win...a win is a win at the end of the day, they dont care how the new coach gets that win...

TD 21
12-31-2021, 05:58 PM
She obviously wouldn't have done this without an inkling that Pop isn't on the verge of retirement, she was not going to be his heir apparent or likely to get a head coaching job anywhere in the league anytime soon.

I don't care either way (she turned me off by not explaining how decision for not kneeling for the anthem in the bubble; though part of me wanted her to be the heir apparent just to piss off misogynistic pricks), but I get the sense the Spurs are relieved that they get out of having to deal with the PR hit and fall out of having to tell my far their longest tenured assistant that she was not going be Pop's successor.

BatManu20
12-31-2021, 06:34 PM
Saw someone mention Bill Self as Pop’s potential heir apparent. That was a long-running rumor for a while due to his close relationship with RC Buford, but he just signed a lifetime contract to remain Kansas’ HC so I don’t see that ever happening, especially not anytime soon for a Spurs team that isn’t even a Top-14 team in the league and that has no franchise player on the roster.

It’ll be someone out of left field whenever it does happen imo. Someone with a lot of experience.

Robz4000
12-31-2021, 06:51 PM
Saw someone mention Bill Self as Pop’s potential heir apparent. That was a long-running rumor for a while due to his close relationship with RC Buford, but he just signed a lifetime contract to remain Kansas’ HC so I don’t see that ever happening, especially not anytime soon for a Spurs team that isn’t even a Top-14 team in the league and that has no franchise player on the roster.

It’ll be someone out of left field whenever it does happen imo. Someone with a lot of experience.

Vinney Del Negro tbh

DMC
12-31-2021, 08:50 PM
Sad. Both because I liked the idea of Becky succeeding Pop, and because this is a strong signal towards the "Pop isn't retiring next season" camp.

:lol at posters talking about this being a "demotion" or some shit and saying she should've gone the college route. College, over the best professional women's basketball league in the world? Where she can be HC of the team that she played for, and who retired her number? Lmao. And the only apparent negative for the WNBA is that it operates at a loss. Americans, and making everything entirely and solely about money... Iconic duo.

I don't doubt that she'll keep the NBA HC dream alive and will probably say so the first time an interviewer asks her about it - though I'm not too optimistic that she'll ever get it, especially given the recent blunders of the Blazers FO leaking shit on her and stuff. It's a steeper climb than people think.
That's like saying the best special Olympics curling team South of the Mason Dixon line.

spurs1990
12-31-2021, 09:26 PM
The moment that Duncan was the lead coach over Becky when pop was out of a game I feel this was clear. Frankly, the coaching novel on the Spurs is lower right now than it has been at any pointbin pops tenure. I think Becky knew she was not going to get a head coaching gig in the NBA. Maybe she's not good enough, but I see tons of shit coaches get opportunities left and right. Jason Kidd anyone?

It was the right move. Duncan is a God-tier NBA great with a playing resume alone dwarfing Hammond's 4 year asst NBA run. It would have been a huge slight had pop put Hammond over TD, a man he owes his legacy to.

Biggems
12-31-2021, 11:00 PM
Go Becky Go. I won't watch a single game in that substandard, woke, sjw, shit basketball league. However, I will look at the standings now and then. Hopefully, the Aces will be at the top.

D-Robinson 50 fan
01-01-2022, 02:36 PM
Well, I’m willing to bet that Pop is staying for another season.

I think he is staying now also.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s one of the reasons she took the Las Vegas Aces job also. I mean, her getting a chance to be GM and Head coach of an already good team and one that her jersey was retired by also has to mean a lot to her

SpurPadre
01-01-2022, 04:11 PM
Good luck, Becky. As for our team's HC future, I know alot of you keep doubting Manu as a possibility but the fact remains that he hasn't gone on record saying he'd never coach. Shit, none of you thought he'd take the role he has now. His kids won't always be kids. An itch to want to get back in the grind is just not out of the question for retired players if you keep up with recent history. Manu as the next Spurs coach is simply not an impossibility. Happy New Year's, by the way.

Mugen
01-01-2022, 04:56 PM

:lol

MultiTroll
01-02-2022, 09:46 PM
Fairness to Becky is there anything that Chauncey Billups is doing that she couldn't have done?

Not telling the Blazers and NBA who to hire but the good old boy club has gotten beyond old.

paperboy77
01-02-2022, 10:01 PM
Fairness to Becky is there anything that Chauncey Billups is doing that she couldn't have done?

Not telling the Blazers and NBA who to hire but the good old boy club has gotten beyond old.

It's a pecking order with regards to progress.

Beginning with race, then it's dudes then girls. Seems that way anyway.

offset formation
01-02-2022, 10:19 PM

Those leaks don't look bad on the trail blazers imo. they look bad on Becky and PATFO if they're true. If true, someone from PATFO completely undermined her.

And quite honestly, I think there may be smoke to that leak since she seems to have in very short order (what 4 months or so), given up on her very well publicized and acknowledged dream to be an NBA headcoach. I mean you could even say she thirsted after being an NBA head coach as vocal as she was about it.

It appears someone, somewhere in PATFO blasted her and it took the wind out of her sails to keep trying for an NBA slot. I don't think it was Pop because she went out of her way to thank Pop but I noticed her statement had only passing praise for the front office. Perhaps she figures her only path is to go dominate in the WNBA such that someone gives her a shot.

gambit1990
01-04-2022, 12:33 AM
five years is a pretty decent amount of time. are they paying her a lot?

Dverde
01-04-2022, 11:32 PM
She is cashing out. No hate but I doubt she’ll be the first female HC in the NBA now.

R. DeMurre
01-05-2022, 04:05 AM
Smart move by Becky. Las Vegas is already a good team with a legit star/MVP in A'ja Wilson, and they made it to the semifinals last year... so if they win a title in the next couple of years with Becky at the helm, basketball people will notice. Even if they don't, she's the highest paid WNBA coach and she gains experience. Win win. Make fun of the WNBA all you want-- I wish the Spurs as a team could manage the same 3ptFG% that the Las Vegas Aces had last year. They're not even close.

Dverde
01-05-2022, 01:08 PM
Becky said "Quite frankly, I've been watching the WNBA for a long time and stealing all their plays for a while,"

This would explain all our mid range jumpshots :lol

paperboy77
01-05-2022, 01:45 PM
Those leaks don't look bad on the trail blazers imo. they look bad on Becky and PATFO if they're true. If true, someone from PATFO completely undermined her.

And quite honestly, I think there may be smoke to that leak since she seems to have in very short order (what 4 months or so), given up on her very well publicized and acknowledged dream to be an NBA headcoach. I mean you could even say she thirsted after being an NBA head coach as vocal as she was about it.

It appears someone, somewhere in PATFO blasted her and it took the wind out of her sails to keep trying for an NBA slot. I don't think it was Pop because she went out of her way to thank Pop but I noticed her statement had only passing praise for the front office. Perhaps she figures her only path is to go dominate in the WNBA such that someone gives her a shot.

That's the risk she's taking. She might never dominate the WNBA. That league is so wacky as far as what teams is good or not.

ace3g
05-06-2022, 11:13 PM
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1522790544870711296

R. DeMurre
05-07-2022, 09:46 AM
Phoenix, of course, playing without Brittney Griner... still hard to believe that her being held in prison in Russia isn't a bigger mainstream news story.

BatManu20
05-08-2022, 10:51 PM
Dejounte banging Becky confirmed.

Ice009
05-08-2022, 11:21 PM
Phoenix, of course, playing without Brittney Griner... still hard to believe that her being held in prison in Russia isn't a bigger mainstream news story.

What the hell? Why is she in prison in Russia? That is crazy. I don't live in the US, but I would have thought I'd have heard something about it.

R. DeMurre
05-09-2022, 12:03 AM
What the hell? Why is she in prison in Russia? That is crazy. I don't live in the US, but I would have thought I'd have heard something about it.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-business-sports-europe-brittney-griner-2a746fa0f94f314a0ab32253086c8f13

Ice009
05-09-2022, 12:29 AM
https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-business-sports-europe-brittney-griner-2a746fa0f94f314a0ab32253086c8f13

Crazy. Just saw it was for cannabis. I assume the amount she had wasn't a great deal (if she did have a lot, then that's on her, but I am guessing she didn't), but over there I am assuming the penalties are stricter?

R. DeMurre
05-09-2022, 12:34 AM
Crazy. Just saw it was for cannabis. I assume the amount she had wasn't a great deal (if she did have a lot, then that's on her, but I am guessing she didn't), but over there I am assuming the penalties are stricter?

Yes, much stricter.

Ice009
05-09-2022, 12:40 AM
Yes, much stricter.

Darn, well, if that is the case, maybe she shouldn't have had any on her. Very delicate situation. I hope she gets released soon. Any idea what the penalty is for the amount she had? I guess it also doesn't matter what form it was in (the article I read from the link mentioned something about it being in vape cartridges).

KingKev
05-09-2022, 03:51 AM
Dejounte banging Becky confirmed.

All jokes aside that’s pretty cool he showed up to support her in Phoenix. Doubt he had any other reason to be in the area.

BacktoBasics
05-09-2022, 12:54 PM
Yes, much stricter.
I have my doubts that she even had drugs but regardless she's being held for political reasons not the drugs.

You're not hearing about it because originally the US didn't want to make a big production about it to keep from instigating Russia and giving them a reason to use her. Her status has now changed as of last week I think so you're hearing more about it now.

scott
05-09-2022, 01:23 PM
Pop staying for three more seasons, then Becky coming back. Mark it down.

OldMan88
05-09-2022, 02:29 PM
If Becky really wants to be an NBA coach, she’ll need to get hired by a non-contending team that wants to make a big PR splash and isn’t afraid of the pressure to not fire her if she sucks as a head coach. If she does well, then she may get a better NBA job. If not, then back to the WNBA or a college team.

BatManu20
05-16-2023, 11:53 AM
Lol

LkrFan
05-16-2023, 11:56 AM
Muh Becky :lol

poopbox
05-16-2023, 01:59 PM
Lol

Not my #beckywiththegoodplays :cry

She wasnt out here trying to eat some sweaty after wnba practice cooch was she :cry

Between her and Ime spurs going to fuck around and be on a Law and Order special victims unit episode :cry

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-16-2023, 02:52 PM
Not my #beckywiththegoodplays :cry

She wasnt out here trying to eat some sweaty after wnba practice cooch was she :cry

Between her and Ime spurs going to fuck around and be on a Law and Order special victims unit episode :cry

It would help if you read the article. Sounds like contract negotiation where Becky broke league rules. I'd be surprised if it was nefarious.

K...
05-16-2023, 03:22 PM
Former star player tells them shes pregnant before finals. Shes also at the end of the contract and an extension is discussed. Becky says or does something like say, abort your baby and well extend you, player announces pregnancy after they win and then is traded away.

Thats one theory. The black box is what becky offered that the league said was an illegal contract inducement .

JPB
05-16-2023, 03:33 PM
If it's 2 games, I guess it musn't be that bad.

SpurSpike
05-16-2023, 03:47 PM
Costed them a 2025 1st round pick too...

Sounds like the team & Becky made some remarks about the possibility of a player getting pregnant again in her contract negotiations. When they could not agree they traded her. Is any of that against the rules?

exstatic
05-16-2023, 04:24 PM
Costed them a 2025 1st round pick too...

Sounds like the team & Becky made some remarks about the possibility of a player getting pregnant again in her contract negotiations. When they could not agree they traded her. Is any of that against the rules?

No company can discuss a number of different issues, including pregnancy, and use that against an employee.

rjv
05-16-2023, 05:11 PM
Becky, and the Aces, violated league and players union rules, the details of which have not been detailed but implied. It sounds as if Becky may have used the player's pregnancy against her, and maybe even harassed her over the pregnancy. This is all just conjecture over what was released. I'm not sure that we'll here from Becky on this (she may say she can't comment for litigious reasons). On the surface, it's not a good look.

Rocalcio
05-17-2023, 01:48 PM
So they lost a first pick, but what happens to this pick ? I don’t believe it’s randomly granted to another team…

EricB
05-17-2023, 03:04 PM
If that’s true, that’s a pretty shitty thing to do.