PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Lamar Odom

timvp
04-04-2003, 06:01 PM
http://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/3327.jpghttp://espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/nba/med/trans/lac.GIF

Height: 6-10
Weight: 221 lbs.
Pos: SF
Born: November 6, 1979, Jamaica, New York
Drafted: 1999, 1st round, 4th pick by Clippers
College: Rhode Island

Lamar Odom will be a free agent this offseason. The 23 year old forward is in his fourth season with the Clippers.

I think he would be a great addition to the team. He's a tall small forward who is extremely talented. He's big enough to grab rebounds but also has good enough court vision to be a great passer. His outside shot is good and he can create off the dribble. Defensively, he's nothing to write home about but he isn't bad.

One drawback on him is his reported poor work ethic and his past legal troubles. The Spurs pride themselves on having 'good guys' on their team and Odom might not fit that mold. He's very talented but also a risk because of off-court issues.

If the Spurs could get him between $5M - $7M a year, that would be a steal. He would be a great SF in the Spurs' system.

But the question remains ... Will the Spurs go after him or will they look at his checkered past and be scared off?

genghisrex
04-04-2003, 06:14 PM
I really like Odom. His legal issues and past injury history are troubling, but if Pop/RC decide he's worth the risk, I'm all for bringing him to the team.

timvp
04-04-2003, 06:18 PM
Yes, Odom looks like a perfect fit on the surface.

But if he's going to be broken down and busted for drugs every season, then he's not worth it.

SAmikeyp
04-04-2003, 06:20 PM
I would take him but I share your concerns...that is why I would not spend that much money on him.

kohai
04-04-2003, 07:01 PM
This guy would EXPLODE in this offense. He probably has the best court vision of any player his size in the league. I could see him putting up 18p/8r/6a in the SA motion O.

He has had some injuries, but none of them were really serious. The one ankle sprain kept him out the end of last year AND the beginning of this year because he didn't follow his treatment plan. Yes, there are some maturity issues to deal with.

If SA signs a servicable big, I would go so far as to trade Scola's rights to the Clips for him in a sign and trade in order to keep the salary reasonable. They'd probably bite, just to save face, and not have to pay another player big $$$.

It would also REALLY piss off Pat Riley. :lol

CosmicCowboyXXX
04-04-2003, 07:18 PM
hasn't it been 2 or 3 years since the drug stuff? I am not saying it may not be an issue but he hasn't been in any trouble lately has he?

genghisrex
04-04-2003, 07:25 PM
Odom was in trouble last season so I think it's still a relevant concern. Maybe he's learned his lesson since then; maybe not.

spurster
04-05-2003, 12:41 AM
He would be a good player to get, but makes things a little crowded at the SF slot.

KoriEllis
04-05-2003, 12:57 AM
it was early last season (first month) the last time that he got busted for weed.

timvp
04-05-2003, 01:18 AM
He would be a good player to get, but makes things a little crowded at the SF slot.

Lets see if the minutes are there:

SG: Stephen Jackson 23 minutes
SG: Manu Ginobili 23 minutes

SF: Lamar Odom 32 minutes
SF: Bruce Bowen 18 minutes

You make a good point. If Bowen becomes the odd man out, then it would be:

SG: Stephen Jackson 31 minutes
SG: Manu Ginobili 33 minutes

SF: Lamar Odom 32 minutes

That would work, but it would be tough give up on Bowen.

Patrick Davis
04-05-2003, 01:21 AM
are you accounting for the fact that if we sign odom, manu will probably back up at pg too?

timvp
04-05-2003, 01:25 AM
Did not account for that because I don't know if that is the right way to go. I like Manu as a slasher away from the ball.

I haven't seen enough of him at point to make a fair assesment, however.

SanAntonioBard
04-05-2003, 02:17 AM
Odom could steal a few minutes at the 4, too. He's long enough, and can rebound, and DEFINITELY draw his man out away from Tim. ;)

Patrick Davis
04-05-2003, 05:02 AM
If you sign Odom and a big, you can't most likely can't resign speedy. I think Manu can handle the point. I think Manu can do a lot of things. Minutes would be there, and I would love it if we got this guy. I love his game and I think he would really help the Spurs on the boards. Spurs will clean up his act.

timvp
04-05-2003, 06:04 AM
Odom could steal a few minutes at the 4, too. He's long enough, and can rebound, and DEFINITELY draw his man out away from Tim. ;)

Yeah, Odom is a 6'10 player who can play four positions.

Not a bad problem.

:hat2

Big Syke
04-05-2003, 10:27 PM
Odom is a straight balla. He'd easily be the second star next to Duncan. He's like a 6'10 Jason Kidd ... he can beat you without scoring!

SPURS21
04-05-2003, 11:30 PM
I think if you get Odom, you gotta start Malik Rose and move TD to the 5 spot so you run with

TD
Malik
Odom
SJax (can't let this guy slip away)
TP

The height and versatility of that line-up would be ill.
After Odom, how much cash is left to sign another player? It would have to be a big man, who are the candidates?

On the bench we got

Manu, Bowen for sure

timvp
04-05-2003, 11:37 PM
TD
Malik
Odom
SJax
TP

The height and versatility of that line-up would be ill.

Very good point. Odom (6'10) and SJax (6'8) would keep the Spurs as a 'big' team even after Robinson leaves.

genghisrex
04-06-2003, 12:19 AM
After Odom, how much cash is left to sign another player?It's hard to say how much Odom will cost. I think he'll get MLE money easily because everyone'll have that and there's bound to be at least a couple of capped out teams willing to take a flier on him. I think he could cost anywhere from $5-8 million depending on what kind of interest he gets during the offseason.

Had he kept his head on straight, Lamar could possibly have looked at max or near max offers. Everyone sees the talent and potential, but everyone sees the risk, too, so it's a tough call. On the plus side, concerns about his "habit" and his health might make a shorter term "trial" contract possible -- maybe 3 years for $18-20 million?

SpursForever
04-06-2003, 02:42 AM
No free agent is going to take 3-years to go to Spur land ... especially not one would is going to get a lot of money over a lot of years from other teams.

SanAntonioBard
04-06-2003, 03:33 AM
Like who, asswad? I've heard zero interest from Denver, and zero interest from Utah. The only interest that I've heard was San Antonio and Miami, who has essentially MCE money. No more money left around the league.

You bring nothing to this forum except your rampant negativity, loser. When you shoot down someone's proposal, at least, to use your terminology, go out on a "limp" and propose your own. Or are you afraid to take a position? :baby

Rabel 13
04-06-2003, 03:36 AM
If you can get Odom....

snatch him.

Fast.

I would rank Odom as the top free agent out there...if you are not going to use the cap room solely on one player...

which i am growing more and more against.

picnroll
04-06-2003, 11:13 AM
Talent-wise Odom would be great and give the Spurs more flexibility than just about anyother FA out there. He could play some point frward and with Manu on the floor ther would be enough ballhandling when TP is resting.

Get Odom, a decent big, a back-up PG, maybe Speedy.

The settled environment of the Spurs may be what Odom needs to live up to his potential. Would Pop be willing to take the risk?

SpursWoman
04-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Welcome, picnroll btw :)

genghisrex
04-06-2003, 02:22 PM
If you can get Odom....

snatch him.

Fast.

I would rank Odom as the top free agent out there...if you are not going to use the cap room solely on one player...I'm inclined to agree, Rabel. Odom for $6-7 million could be a real steal, although I think I'd still rather go for a max FA first because Lamar's a huge wild card. If Pop/RC believe that he'll stay clean and healthy, though, I hope that they'll make a big push for him.

Odom + Clark would shoot our athleticism off the charts and might make us the most versatile team in the league.

picnroll
04-06-2003, 02:39 PM
TD, Clark, Odom, Jax, and Manu playing a zone!!! Long and quick. :p

I'd be a little worried if Clark and Odom were hanging out together a lot though. :smokin2

SanAntonioBard
04-06-2003, 02:55 PM
Odom + Clark would shoot our athleticism off the charts and might make us the most versatile team in the league.

It would also give us two players to slap on KG when we play Minny, and let Tim patrol the paint. Odom and Clark, teamed with Tim, would make a front line that would terrify opposing penetrators more than the Twin Towers ever did. Our zone would put Minny's, with KG at the apex, to shame.

genghisrex
04-06-2003, 02:56 PM
I'd be a little worried if Clark and Odom were hanging out together a lot though.:lol

I didn't think about that!

KoriEllis
04-06-2003, 03:05 PM
So would Odom+Clark be your second free agent consideration after Kidd or O'Neal?

Rabel 13
04-06-2003, 03:10 PM
O'Neal has to be the first option....

Unless RC and company decide that this team does not necessarily need to pick up a max free agent this summer...

Then things really change....

For some reason I am inclined to think that Odom is higher on their list than we realize...

But I have no facts to back that up.

KoriEllis
04-06-2003, 03:33 PM
Unless RC and company decide that this team does not necessarily need to pick up a max free agent this summer...

Then things really change....

I think a lot of Spurs fans will go crazy is the management goes for a couple of midrange players as opposed to a max FA.

People will start jumping once more.:queen

picnroll
04-06-2003, 03:36 PM
They may jump more when they see season ticket prices. I saw where Sac is bumping there's 9% or so.

genghisrex
04-06-2003, 03:40 PM
So would Odom+Clark be your second free agent consideration after Kidd or O'Neal?Odom + Clark would be my third FA consideration after Kidd and O'Neal. I listed Odom + Miller as my third choice in the "if you were R.C." thread, but I'm changing my mind.

SanAntonioBard
04-06-2003, 05:43 PM
Odom is the best talent in this FA class, bar none. There are questions surrounding him, but there were questions around Derek Anderson as well, and he turned out alright from a durability and clubhouse standpoint. He actually HELPED S.A. by opting out. He got a nice contract, and we got the Holt-ing pattern, which is almost over.
Clark is more of a mystery. His offensive game is rough, but he is a shot-blocking and rebounding presence that we can put in with Malik or Kevin when Tim is sitting. Stealing him from Sacto would also be a coup.

timvp
04-07-2003, 02:56 AM
The signing of Odom could be like when the Magic signed McGrady. The Magic took a guess on a young player and the result was a great player.

Odom could turn out like that. He isn't too far away from being 20+ PPG, 5+ APG, and 7+ RPG.

Patrick Davis
04-07-2003, 03:23 AM
He has so much talent. He needs good coaching. Enter, Spurs.

Mark in Austin
04-07-2003, 10:03 AM
As far as comparing biggest talent gap by position - what we have now vs. what will be available this offseason - I think the SF spot is the neediest of an upgrade. Thats not to say the the most talented player in free agency is Odom, but as far as how much of an upgrade he would be, I think the difference would be huge. And I think Odom could be a defensive force similar to Garnett with the right coaching.

Sign Odom starting at 8.5 million a year and you've still got about 5.5 million left to play with to go after another big, or bring over Scola and re-sign Speedy.

Think about the athleticism and speed of this line up:

Parker
Ginobili
Jackson
Odom
Duncan

or

Parker
Jack / Manu
Odom
Duncan
Rose
:fro

KoriEllis
04-07-2003, 03:53 PM
By FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Lamar Odom is long, skilled and, best of all, available. His first preference is to re-sign with the Clippers this summer but Odom revealed that if given the opportunity to return home he would accept the Knicks' $4.5 million exception.
"That's the one team where I could see myself signing for that," Odom said after helping the Clippers defeat the Knicks Saturday night. "It's New York. But I would think that the Clippers would match that."

Odom is a restricted free agent, meaning the Clippers have the option to match any offer. The team's eccentric owner, Donald Sterling, is fond of Odom and has hinted that he will retain the lithe 6-10 small forward.

But Sterling has a roster filled with free agents and he will have to make several tough decisions. Los Angeles will also be in the lottery and if the Clippers end up with one of the top three picks that could also affect Odom's future.

Elton Brand, Michael Olowokandi, Andre Miller and Corey Maggette are all free agents and only Brand is almost certain to be re-signed.

"My loyalty is to the Clippers for being loyal to me," he said. "We'll have to see in July, but hopefully the Clippers want me back."

Odom's potential is limitless. He's still only 23 and is a good enough ball-handler that he could play point guard with Allan Houston and Latrell Sprewell in the backcourt. On Saturday, Odom joked that it would be Sprewell's responsibility to guard opposing point guards.

Odom has missed 71 games over the past two seasons due to wrist and ankle injuries and has been suspended once for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

But Odom is healthy again and says he has matured. When asked if he could handle the pressure of playing in New York, where he starred at Christ the King, he said: "Two seasons ago, three seasons ago maybe not. Right now, yeah. That wouldn't be a problem.

"As a kid growing up you dream about playing for the Knicks in the Garden. That's every kid. Steph (Marbury), Ron (Artest), E.B. (Elton Brand), who else? (Chris) Mullin when he was coming up. Kenny (Anderson)."

Knicks president Scott Layden is conservative when it comes to building a team. In Utah, he had the prototypical point guard in John Stockton, which is why Layden would probably be more inclined to pursue a player like Miller.

Miller has leveled off in recent years while Odom is seen as someone who, in the right environment, could be a top10 player.

Odom is averaging 15.9 points, 7.3 rebounds and 4.6 assists over his career. He can play four positions and is the type of young, athletic player Don Chaney says the Knicks need.

"We have to get better at that," Chaney said. "What teams are doing to us is using their quickness to get to the basket or quickness in transition on us, and we have to do a better job of handling that.

"We're going to try (and get more athletic) but it's not going to be an easy task."

www.nydailynews.com/sport...7823c.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/73297p-67823c.html)

Big Syke
04-07-2003, 04:25 PM
Odom is retricted free agent? I didn't know that:cry Is taht accurate?

SanAntonioBard
04-27-2003, 12:40 PM
Yes, Odom is an RFA. Sterlilng has never payed a MAX deal.

Something must give. :lol