PDA

View Full Version : voting rights hyperbole

CosmicCowboy
01-11-2022, 08:37 AM
The congressional democratic hysteria over this shit is hilarious...If they really do away with the filibuster in order to pass the federal takeover of elections it is gonna come back to bite them on the ass in spades.

CosmicCowboy
01-11-2022, 08:42 AM
Of course, after all the screaming and howling it will probably go down the drain just like the BBB when Manchin and Sinema tell them to fuck off...:lol

CosmicCowboy
01-11-2022, 08:45 AM
From the White House release of the script for Biden to read off the teleprompter today:

When he takes the podium to deliver a voting rights speech in Atlanta, Ga. on Tuesday, President Biden is expected to make the case that the Senate must abandon its longstanding commitment to the filibuster or risk losing democracy.

Biden is expected to advocate a special voting rights “carve out” to the filibuster, a move that Republicans argue will effectively kill the rule as each party devises specific exceptions for its top legislative priorities when it comes to power.

“The next few days, when these bills come to a vote, will mark a turning point in this nation. Will we choose democracy over autocracy, light over shadow, justice over injustice? I know where I stand,” Biden will say, according to an excerpt of his statement published by the White House. “I will not yield. I will not flinch. I will defend your right to vote and our democracy against all enemies foreign and domestic. And so the question is where will the institution of United States Senate stand?”

And then he will probably read "message ends" :lol

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 10:02 AM
Filibuster should be gone regardless.

Why do you want the make it harder for people to vote?

Thread
01-11-2022, 10:09 AM

...otherwise they cheat.

CosmicCowboy
01-11-2022, 10:40 AM

it has never been hard to vote. Just get off your ass and do it. Everyone has early voting, mail in ballots and voting the day of.

Get rid if the filibuster and welcome yoyo legislation where every time power shifts the "new" gets rid of everything the "old" did and then switches back every time it changes again. Total instability. Not to mention it totally defeats the purpose of the original constitution. it is still the United STATES and the Senate balances power between the federal government and the states and prevents mob rule of the 51%.

baseline bum
01-11-2022, 10:47 AM

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 10:49 AM
it has never been hard to vote. Just get off your ass and do it. Everyone has early voting, mail in ballots and voting the day of.Why do you want to make it harder than it was in 2020?

Give an actual valid reason.

Get rid if the filibuster and welcome yoyo legislation where every time power shifts the "new" gets rid of everything the "old" did and then switches back every time it changes again. Total instability. Not to mention it totally defeats the purpose of the original constitution. it is still the United STATES and the Senate balances power between the federal government and the states and prevents mob rule of the 51%.Where is the filibuster in the Constitution?

Show me the article and I'll agree with all that.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 10:51 AM
OP is a fucking retard.

1315774645061246976It's easy in my ZIP code. Maybe these peons should make better life choices and not be shiftless and lazy.

baseline bum
01-11-2022, 10:52 AM
Yeah giving black people the right to vote without being in long lines definitely defeats the purpose of the original constitution that kept them in bondage.

Winehole23
01-11-2022, 10:58 AM
it has never been hard to vote. Just get off your ass and do it. Everyone has early voting, mail in ballots and voting the day of.

Get rid if the filibuster and welcome yoyo legislation where every time power shifts the "new" gets rid of everything the "old" did and then switches back every time it changes again. Total instability. Not to mention it totally defeats the purpose of the original constitution. it is still the United STATES and the Senate balances power between the federal government and the states and prevents mob rule of the 51%.We had straight majority rule in Congress -- by design -- at the time of the founding through most of the 20th century. The founders considered a supermajority rule for the Senate and rejected it. It's nowhere to be found in the Constitution.

As for the filibuster, what started out as an expedience for debate has been turned into a stumbling block that allows a Senate minority to obstruct whatever it doesn't like. And no, it's not a sacred, untouchable tradition, the Senate has changed it a hundred or so times, including once last year to ram Amy Coney Barrett down our throats. The version of it we have now is only about 50 years old.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eu_rrvbXEAUsAv7?format=png&name=900x900

CosmicCowboy
01-11-2022, 11:02 AM
It's easy in my ZIP code. Maybe these peons should make better life choices and not be shiftless and lazy.

Yep. Could have voted early or asked for a mail in ballot.

Winehole23
01-11-2022, 11:02 AM
If the founders meant for the US Senate to be a minority rule institution, why did they give the VP the ability to break ties?

Winehole23
01-11-2022, 11:06 AM
The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators.

Winehole23
01-11-2022, 11:09 AM
The congressional democratic hysteria over this shit is hilarious...If they really do away with the filibuster in order to pass the federal takeover of elections it is gonna come back to bite them on the ass in spades."Federal takeover of elections" strongly echoes resistance to the Voting Rights Act of 1965. Do you think that was an intolerable usurpation as well?

CosmicCowboy
01-11-2022, 11:09 AM
We had straight majority rule in Congress -- by design -- at the time of the founding through most of the 20th century. The founders considered a supermajority rule for the Senate and rejected it. It's nowhere to be found in the Constitution.

As for the filibuster, what started out as an experience for debate has been turned into a stumbling block that allows a Senate minority to obstruct whatever it doesn't like. And no, it's not a sacred, untouchable tradition, the Senate has changed it a hundred or so times, including once last year to ram Amy Coney Barrett down our throats. The version of it we have now is only about 50 years old.

LOL.

Like I said, what goes around the filibuster comes around when power shifts You can thank Harry Reid for that when Democrats used to nuclear option first to push through judicial nominees in 2013.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eu_rrvbXEAUsAv7?format=png&name=900x900

CosmicCowboy
01-11-2022, 11:10 AM
[QUOTE=Winehole23;10666054]We had straight majority rule in Congress -- by design -- at the time of the founding through most of the 20th century. The founders considered a supermajority rule for the Senate and rejected it. It's nowhere to be found in the Constitution.

As for the filibuster, what started out as an experience for debate has been turned into a stumbling block that allows a Senate minority to obstruct whatever it doesn't like. And no, it's not a sacred, untouchable tradition, the Senate has changed it a hundred or so times, including once last year to ram Amy Coney Barrett down our throats. The version of it we have now is only about 50 years old.

LOL.

Like I said, what goes around the filibuster comes around when power shifts. You can thank Harry Reid for that when Democrats used to nuclear option first to push through judicial nominees in 2013.

Winehole23
01-11-2022, 11:11 AM
Mitch McConnell has been fiddling and diddling with the filibuster for years, why does changing it now suddenly bother you? Just admit there's no principle behind it -- maintaining raw power for Republicans is all that matters to you, then and now.

Hence the LOL

CosmicCowboy
01-11-2022, 11:14 AM
60 votes is a reasonable threshold. Craft your legislation to get some bipartisan support. And yes, I support keeping the filibuster even if Republicans take the house and senate in 2022.

Winehole23
01-11-2022, 11:18 AM
Piffle, that's totally unreasonable. Literally no other country in the world does democracy that way, and honestly, neither did we until the mid 1990s.

CosmicCowboy
01-11-2022, 11:22 AM
Piffle, that's totally unreasonable. Literally no other country in the world does democracy that way.

stupid post. Most other democracies have multiple parties and depend on moderating individual positions to obtain a coalition of parties/interests. Same with 60 votes.

CosmicCowboy
01-11-2022, 11:24 AM
In a perfect world the US would have a left nut party, a center/moderate party, and a right nut party.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 11:25 AM
Yep. Could have voted early or asked for a mail in ballot.Why do you want to make it harder to vote those ways?

And where's that filibuster clause in the Constitution?

Winehole23
01-11-2022, 11:26 AM
A bit of historical context might help to dispel the airy abstractions that arise around this topic.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 11:26 AM
stupid post. Most other democracies have multiple parties and depend on moderating individual positions to obtain a coalition of parties/interests. Same with 60 votes.So they make 60% coalitions?

baseline bum
01-11-2022, 11:30 AM
Filibuster should have been gone in January 2021 so we could have had Puerto Rico, North DC, and South DC admitted as states in time for this year's elections. Would be hilarious to see the Republicans not be able to hide behind the filibuster as to why they can't get fascist shit like the wall done when they're in power though. All CC gives a fuck about is the tax cuts the Republicans will do every single time they can with 50+1 votes.

boutons_deux
01-11-2022, 11:40 AM
If the voting rights act doesn't pass, Capitalist/Christian fascism after Jan 2025 is extremely probable, with all three branches under the bribing thumbs of the Capitalist oligarchy, FOR DECADES.

Repugs will pass a law nullifying mail-in voting, force taxpayers to finance Christian madrasa and for-profit K-12, will criminalize abortion so no "abortion sanctuary states" and then imprison women violators, will effectively destroy EPA, OSHA, HUD, etc if the Repug SOTUS6 doesn't first nullify the entire Exec branch by ruling if violates the "delegation clause"

Winehole23
01-11-2022, 12:31 PM
No supermajorities or bipartisan coalitions are required by board conservatives for partisan gerrymanders or voter suppression laws.

Straight majority voting is apparently just fine for states, but not for the US Congress, so long as the vote in question is on anything other than tax cuts, judges, immigration or deregulation.

DMC
01-11-2022, 12:39 PM
I'll wait for Extra Stout to weigh in.. someone who likely doesn't Google everything.

Winehole23
01-11-2022, 12:59 PM
^^^suspicious of people who read, no topical take

Winehole23
01-11-2022, 01:15 PM
Wasn't there a unanimous consent suspension of Senate rules like one month ago so (R)s could simulate opposition to raising the debt ceiling?

Dirks_Finale
01-11-2022, 01:29 PM
Oprah, Slick Willy and Obummer are groveling to President Manchin to pass so called voting rights bill. :lol

Even if Manchin caves, I think Sinema is going to flip them the bird, tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEaL--NsiJ8

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 01:35 PM
Oprah, Slick Willy and Obummer are groveling to President Manchin to pass so called voting rights bill. :lol

Even if Manchin caves, I think Sinema is going to flip them the bird, tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEaL--NsiJ8

Why do you want to make it harder to vote than in 2020?

Dirks_Finale
01-11-2022, 01:40 PM
Why do you want to make it harder to vote than in 2020?

I want to make it harder to cheat.

Do you protest when you have to show an ID to board a plane?

koriwhat
01-11-2022, 01:43 PM

Know how many of my black patrons have an ID? 100% of them do so I don't buy the bs lies coming from the communist regressives.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 01:44 PM
I want to make it harder to cheat.Who has cheated?

Is voter ID the only thing you want implemented?

I'm fine with that as long as free IDs are made available by state governments.

Why do you want all these other restrictions?

Winehole23
01-11-2022, 01:46 PM

Do you protest when you have to show an ID to board a plane?off-topic.

short answer, the juice not only isn't worth the squeeze (the incidence of voter impersonation and double voting is infinitessimal), it prevents US citizens from voting because they lack ID for some reason. (Sick, disabled, poor, rural, etc.)

SpursforSix
01-11-2022, 01:55 PM
Know how many of my black patrons have an ID? 100% of them do so I don't buy the bs lies coming from the communist regressives.

Sample size of 2. And one was mixed.

SpursforSix
01-11-2022, 01:58 PM
Who has cheated?

This.

SnakeBoy
01-11-2022, 02:04 PM
Of course, after all the screaming and howling it will probably go down the drain just like the BBB when Manchin and Sinema tell them to fuck off...:lol

Some on the left are saying this is just another Biden ruse, like BBB, to keep the left from turning on Dems and Biden has no intention of this passing. Manchin and Sinema will take the lead on preventing it from passing because it helps them politically and the other establishment types can claim gosh we really tried so as to avoid primary challenges from the left.

Adam Lambert
01-11-2022, 02:05 PM

Could you cite the protected right to travel on a plane as written into the United States Constitution? I'm having trouble finding it.

You're an idiot.

SnakeBoy
01-11-2022, 02:08 PM
If the voting rights act doesn't pass, Capitalist/Christian fascism after Jan 2025 is extremely probable, with all three branches under the bribing thumbs of the Capitalist oligarchy, FOR DECADES.

Repugs will pass a law nullifying mail-in voting, force taxpayers to finance Christian madrasa and for-profit K-12, will criminalize abortion so no "abortion sanctuary states" and then imprison women violators, will effectively destroy EPA, OSHA, HUD, etc if the Repug SOTUS6 doesn't first nullify the entire Exec branch by ruling if violates the "delegation clause"

That all sounds nice

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 02:16 PM
Some on the left are saying this is just another Biden ruse, like BBB, to keep the left from turning on Dems and Biden has no intention of this passing. Manchin and Sinema will take the lead on preventing it from passing because it helps them politically and the other establishment types can claim gosh we really tried so as to avoid primary challenges from the left.

Is this your conspiracy theory?

ElNono
01-11-2022, 02:29 PM
This thread looks like the opioid abuse one, also from the OP... completely disconnected with that's going on IRL...

CosmicCowboy
01-11-2022, 02:41 PM
This thread looks like the opioid abuse one, also from the OP... completely disconnected with that's going on IRL...

What is your estimate of US Citizens without an ID? How does one even function without an ID, cash welfare checks, etc?

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 02:44 PM
What is your estimate of US Citizens without an ID? How does one even function without an ID, cash welfare checks, etc?Looks like they'd benefit from a free state issued ID.

win-win

CosmicCowboy
01-11-2022, 02:46 PM
Looks like they'd benefit from a free state issued ID.

win-win

done

https://www.texastribune.org/2013/06/25/dps-begin-offering-free-voter-id-cards-week/

SnakeBoy
01-11-2022, 02:53 PM
Arizona college students threatened to go on a second hunger strike if Congress doesn't pass the Democrat-led voting legislation by Jan. 17.

"We're prepared to hold out indefinitely now that the holidays are over," Leila Winbury, a junior at Arizona State University, told Fox News Digital. "I have seen the consequences of a broken democracy my entire life, so we're willing to suffer the consequences of hunger striking rather than the consequences of the bill not passing."

She said the next hunger strike will be "a lot bigger" than the 15-day one organized in December.

"Nationwide hunger-striking, more than likely," she noted.

CosmicCowboy
01-11-2022, 02:54 PM
Arizona college students threatened to go on a second hunger strike if Congress doesn't pass the Democrat-led voting legislation by Jan. 17.

"We're prepared to hold out indefinitely now that the holidays are over," Leila Winbury, a junior at Arizona State University, told Fox News Digital. "I have seen the consequences of a broken democracy my entire life, so we're willing to suffer the consequences of hunger striking rather than the consequences of the bill not passing."

She said the next hunger strike will be "a lot bigger" than the 15-day one organized in December.

probably a fatty anyway.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 02:54 PM
done

https://www.texastribune.org/2013/06/25/dps-begin-offering-free-voter-id-cards-week/paves the way for implementation of Texas’ voter ID law

If every state were like this, great.

I'm glad we settled this thing that was settled eight years ago.

Now why do you want to make it more difficult to vote than it was in 2020?

CosmicCowboy
01-11-2022, 03:06 PM
paves the way for implementation of Texas’ voter ID law

If every state were like this, great.

I'm glad we settled this thing that was settled eight years ago.

Now why do you want to make it more difficult to vote than it was in 2020?

The false narrative of "making it difficult to vote" is total bullshit. The issue is unelected federal bureaucrats gerrymandering state elections.

boutons_deux
01-11-2022, 03:09 PM
OPPOSE VOTER ID LEGISLATION - FACT SHEET

https://www.aclu.org/other/oppose-voter-id-legislation-fact-sheet

===========================

Debunking Misinformation on Photo ID

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/analysis-opinion/debunking-misinformation-photo-id

====================

Repugs are rabid about voter ID because they know it's voter suppression tactic.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 03:09 PM
The false narrative of "making it difficult to vote" is total bullshit. The issue is unelected federal bureaucrats gerrymandering state elections.Why did the TX legislature change voting from how it was in 2020?

Be honest.

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 03:14 PM
The false narrative of "making it difficult to vote" is total bullshit. The issue is unelected federal bureaucrats gerrymandering state elections.
Ah yes, can't imagine how awful it would be if federal bureaucrats came in and changed those wholesome, fair maps the TX state leg passed that definitely aren't already gerrymandered.

https://thumbnails.texastribune.org/AnkD7QSYc_XnGf5rHCqkOd8sOKA=/1000x642/smart/filters:format(webp):quality(70)/https://thumbnails.texastribune.org/NiRslYSVtX5yK6xH36Qnb4PjmHA=/filters:quality(70)/https://static.texastribune.org/media/files/d55229c4e5edbc74a5e68d9ab3f86269/planc2101%20CONGRESS%20TT.jpg

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 03:18 PM
Why did the TX legislature change voting from how it was in 2020?

Be honest.
Also why did it decide to draw a congressional district like this :lol

https://i.ibb.co/18qxD6w/TX-04.png

CosmicCowboy
01-11-2022, 03:19 PM
Why did the TX legislature change voting from how it was in 2020?

Be honest.

I'm not as outraged as you are...from what I remember it was mostly to prevent counties deviating from uniform state guidelines.

CosmicCowboy
01-11-2022, 03:21 PM
Ah yes, can't imagine how awful it would be if federal bureaucrats came in and changed those wholesome, fair maps the TX state leg passed that definitely aren't already gerrymandered.

https://thumbnails.texastribune.org/AnkD7QSYc_XnGf5rHCqkOd8sOKA=/1000x642/smart/filters:format(webp):quality(70)/https://thumbnails.texastribune.org/NiRslYSVtX5yK6xH36Qnb4PjmHA=/filters:quality(70)/https://static.texastribune.org/media/files/d55229c4e5edbc74a5e68d9ab3f86269/planc2101%20CONGRESS%20TT.jpg

That pendulum swings both ways. You assume democrats in Washington will fuck with Republican boundaries. It can work the opposite as well.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 03:22 PM
I'm not as outraged as you are...No reason for an old white Republican man to be outraged. Especially a disingenuous one.

from what I remember it was mostly to prevent counties deviating from uniform state guidelines.What "uniform state guidelines"?

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 03:22 PM

Leetonidas
01-11-2022, 03:24 PM
i find it comical how restrictive the right wants voting procedures to be versus being able to get a gun. :lol but we all know why, the only way the right can win elections is by making sure not everyone votes

CosmicCowboy
01-11-2022, 03:25 PM
i find it comical how restrictive the right wants voting procedures to be versus being able to get a gun. :lol but we all know why, the only way the right can win elections is by making sure not everyone votes

Try getting a new gun without an ID, a background check, and a waiting period.

Winehole23
01-11-2022, 03:25 PM
That pendulum swings both ways. You assume democrats in Washington will fuck with Republican boundaries. It can work the opposite as well.On straight majority voting?

You require supermajority or coalition voting for voting rights but not screwjob partisan gerrymanders? Seems inconsistent.

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 03:26 PM
That pendulum swings both ways. You assume democrats in Washington will fuck with Republican boundaries. It can work the opposite as well.
I'm fine with that. I'd much prefer guidelines that create fair maps for all 50 states over what we have new.

Also the proposed voting rights act being discussed doesn't give anyone in Washington power to redraw a map, it creates guidelines that private citizens can sue over in court.

I think any law that vested federal politicians with the authority to draw maps would be unconstitutional.

Leetonidas
01-11-2022, 03:26 PM
Try getting a new gun without an ID, a background check, and a waiting period.

I didn't say you didn't need an ID, but it was pretty simple tbh. I walked into Academy a few weeks ago and bought one, took me about 15 minutes :tu

also, if you're buying at a gun show, do you even need an ID or background check? srs question

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 03:27 PM
Some of the most productive house reps ever were red state Democrats and blue state Republicans - the fact nearly all of them have been gerrymandered out of existence has certainly contributed to how dysfunctional congress is.

baseline bum
01-11-2022, 03:28 PM

Yeah probably, Democrats are the fucking US Tories. Still better than voting for the US Nazis on the other side though.

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 03:29 PM
That's because it is. BBB is as good as dead, so Biden & co. are trying to distract the base to pointing to something shiny.

If it weren't Manchin and Sinema, it'd be Mark Warner and Chris Coomer as the 51st and 52nd votes against BBB.

Sinema even said the other day that she was sick of other centrist Dems in the senate who she personally knows don't personally want to pass BBB "hiding behind her skirt".

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 03:35 PM
Yeah probably, Democrats are the fucking US Tories. Still better than voting for the US Nazis on the other side though.
The only things the Democratic Party is actual liberal on are the stupid things (muh trans rights, muh beaner immigrants, muh police brutality against crackheads who don't comply, muh LGBTQ+ or whatever the fuck it is these days, etc.).

Ef-man
01-11-2022, 03:44 PM
I didn't say you didn't need an ID, but it was pretty simple tbh. I walked into Academy a few weeks ago and bought one, took me about 15 minutes :tu

also, if you're buying at a gun show, do you even need an ID or background check? srs question

Try Texas guntrader.

See ad, meet person, exchange money for gun and done through private sale.

Person could ask, are you legally not able to make purchase but answer will always be no.

baseline bum
01-11-2022, 03:45 PM
The only things the Democratic Party is actual liberal on are the stupid things (muh trans rights, muh beaner immigrants, muh police brutality against crackheads who don't comply, muh LGBTQ+ or whatever the fuck it is these days, etc.).

Even fucking Elizabeth Warren pulling the woman card on Bernie. JFC what a shitshow of a party.

CosmicCowboy
01-11-2022, 03:51 PM
I'm fine with that. I'd much prefer guidelines that create fair maps for all 50 states over what we have new.

Also the proposed voting rights act being discussed doesn't give anyone in Washington power to redraw a map, it creates guidelines that private citizens can sue over in court.

I think any law that vested federal politicians with the authority to draw maps would be unconstitutional.

That is essentially what sections 2400-2455 of the "For the People" act does.

koriwhat
01-11-2022, 03:54 PM
Sample size of 2. And one was mixed.

That was actually funny but def wrong.

koriwhat
01-11-2022, 03:56 PM

Let them fucking starve!

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 04:02 PM
That is essentially what sections 2400-2455 of the "For the People" act does.
I'm talking about the freedom to vote act's provisions but yes the FTPA's redistricting sections were constitutionally dicey even though that's not really what they were doing. There's federal constitutional authority to create guidelines over how districts are drawn, but the constitutional also says that the state leg in each state is ultimately responsible for drawing the districts, so there's gray area as to whether congress can go as far as usurping power by mandating an independent commission draws the map in every state.

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 04:04 PM
Even fucking Elizabeth Warren pulling the woman card on Bernie. JFC what a shitshow of a party.
Now that I've lived in DC for a few years and seen it up close, the conclusion I've come to is that a big problem with the party is who the staffers are. The average Dem congressional staffer / DNC staffer is completely out of touch with the average Democratic voter and got involved in politics because of some niche social justice issue no one gives a shit about.

leemajors
01-11-2022, 04:11 PM

I reserved a shotgun online at Academy about 8 months ago, and the only wait was 15 minutes to be able to fill out the background stuff on an iPad with an associate.

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 04:22 PM
Van Duyne's is another one that's hilarious, the TX state leg basically just snaked it across North Tarrant County / North Dallas County when a compact map would have created another Dem-leaning district in North Dallas.

I don't think it's hyperbole to say that this stuff compromises democracy.

https://i.ibb.co/tPCRsP0/TX-24.png

Winehole23
01-11-2022, 04:25 PM
Also why did it decide to draw a congressional district like this?

spurraider21
01-11-2022, 04:28 PM
i think the impact on election results is probably overstated, but in principle its really hard not to get behind these efforts

i think making election day a federal holiday would have more impact tbh

SnakeBoy
01-11-2022, 04:30 PM
Is this your conspiracy theory?

I'm not on the left retard. Take it up with your comrades.

That's because it is. BBB is as good as dead, so Biden & co. are trying to distract the base to pointing to something shiny.

If it weren't Manchin and Sinema, it'd be Mark Warner and Chris Coomer as the 51st and 52nd votes against BBB.

Sinema even said the other day that she was sick of other centrist Dems in the senate who she personally knows don't personally want to pass BBB "hiding behind her skirt".

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 04:32 PM
i think the impact on election results is probably overstated, but in principle its really hard not to get behind these efforts

I'd be fine with a federal voter ID requirement in exchange for election day becoming a national holiday, a federal voter ID program where voters can get an ID for free, and 2 weeks of mandatory early voting.

The Dems who want like an 8 week EV period are retarded imo, but I think it's a very reasonable compromise to have 2 weeks of early voting + E-day being a national holiday in exchange for Republicans getting muh ID requirement.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 04:32 PM
I'm not on the left retard. Take it up with your comrades.You don't have to be on the left to believe it.

Are you really that stupid?

Thread
01-11-2022, 04:33 PM
I'd be fine with a federal voter ID requirement in exchange for election day becoming a national holiday, a federal voter ID program where voters can get an ID for free, and 2 weeks of mandatory early voting.

The Dems who want like an 8 week EV period are retarded imo, but I think it's a very reasonable compromise to have 2 weeks of early voting + E-day being a national holiday in exchange for Republicans getting muh ID requirement.

They'll grow old, gray and they will die before they ever agree to ID.

SnakeBoy
01-11-2022, 04:34 PM
You don't have to be on the left to believe it.

Do you think it's a leftist conspiracy theory?

Yes or No

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 04:34 PM
You don't have to be on the left to believe it.

It's not really a conspiracy theory, there were news reports last month that since the Dems were getting nowhere with BBB they were planning to pivot to voting rights once the senate was back in session this year.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 04:36 PM
Do you think it's a leftist conspiracy theory?I'd have to say no at this point since you're the only one advancing the theory.

I think it is a theory that can be believed or not.

Do you believe it's true?

Yes or no.

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 04:38 PM
They'll grow old, gray and they will die before they ever agree to ID.
And the GOP will grow old, gray and die before it would ever agree to two weeks mandatory early voting in all 50 states + making eday a national holiday.

Making it so the single mom juggling two jobs has to work a double shift on election day is a central pillar in the GOP's electoral strategy.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 04:38 PM
It's not really a conspiracy theory, there were news reports last month that since the Dems were getting nowhere with BBB they were planning to pivot to voting rights once the senate was back in session this year.It's possible, but that's different than saying no one was ever serious about it in the first place.

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 04:43 PM
The fact slow Joe waited until a full year into his presidency to come out and say he supports going nuclear is why I question the seriousness of this whole charade. It's not like we just figured out that going nuclear is the only way a new VRA gets passed, that's been clear since the day Biden took office.

His speech today about supporting rule changes seems to be more of a reaction to impatience from the base than anything else.

Heck, even though it's in Atlanta, Abrams didn't even bother to show up to it because she's annoyed at how long it's taken Biden to formally announce his opposition to the filibuster :lol

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 04:50 PM
The fact slow Joe waited until a full year into his presidency to come out and say he supports going nuclear is why I question the seriousness of this whole charade. It's not like we just figured out that going nuclear is the only way a new VRA gets passed, that's been clear since the day Biden took office.

His speech today about supporting rule changes seems to be more of a reaction to impatience from the base than anything else.

Heck, even though it's in Atlanta, Abrams didn't even bother to show up to it because she's annoyed at how long it's taken Biden to formally announce his opposition to the filibuster :lolMeh, Joe is a former senator and an institutionalist. He was never going to want to go nuclear off the bat.

I guess if everyone wants to give up now, that's on them.

boutons_deux
01-11-2022, 04:53 PM
Paul Weyrich said 40 years ago that the Repugs, conservatives don't want "everybody" to vote.

The oligarchy's and Repugs' strategy and tactics for decades have suppressed voters.

Why did pre-clearance racist states have prepared and change their voting rules within hours after Repug SOTUS removed pre-clearance, SCOTUS hallucinating that America had come a long way since the 1960s?

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 04:56 PM
Meh, Joe is a former senator and an institutionalist. He was never going to want to go nuclear off the bat.

I guess if everyone wants to give up now, that's on them.
He also had a front row seat to watching Obama waste the entire first year of his presidency trying to get a healthcare deal done with Chuck Grassley. It's been pretty clear since 2009 to anyone paying attention that expecting McConnell's senate caucus to act in good faith is a fool's errand, and I doubt Biden didn't know that. He was just hoping his base would lose interest in this issue and he wouldn't be expected to follow through on it.

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 04:59 PM
Also comparing Joe Manchin to George Wallace is an insult to George Wallace. Wallace was a fiscally liberal southern populist who wouldn't have just supported BBB, he'd have wanted it doubled in size, and he also became a reformed racist who won 90% of the black vote in Alabama when he ran for governor in 1982.

Post 1972 Wallace is exponentially better than Manchin.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 05:01 PM
He also had a front row seat to watching Obama waste the entire first year of his presidency trying to get a healthcare deal done with Chuck Grassley. It's been pretty clear since 2009 to anyone paying attention that expecting McConnell's senate caucus to act in good faith is a fool's errand, and I doubt Biden didn't know that. He was just hoping his base would lose interest in this issue and he wouldn't be expected to follow through on it.So give up?

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 05:03 PM
So give up?
No. Start lining up primary opponents for Sinema, Chris Coomer, Mark Warner, etc.

Start painting centrist Democrats as the obstructionists that they are instead of kowtowing to them the way Biden and Pelosi have so far this year.

DMC
01-11-2022, 05:07 PM

Only if the seller holds a FFL. Non FFL holders cannot just get background checks on people. Either way the response is either yes or no.

The alternative is to tell people they must go through an FFL to sell their gun, or enable anyone calling to not need an FFL number to get background information on people. It's your choice. We could do the same with autos though - no proof of insurance, no DL, you cannot sell the car to them. Also you need to check to see if their DL is suspended.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 05:07 PM
No. Start lining up primary opponents for Sinema, Chris Coomer, Mark Warner, etc.

Start painting centrist Democrats as the obstructionists that they are instead of kowtowing to them the way Biden and Pelosi have so far this year.So give up on doing anything about voting rights now and maybe someday get some other guys in the Senate.

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 05:08 PM
Also you might as well give up. We're 3 months away from when midterm season starts, at that point no major legislation is getting done.

That's why Biden waiting an entire year to exert any effort on this issue is disingenuous. The window to get major legislation done is basically the first year of your presidency when your party has complete control, after that people start worrying about midterms / your party likely loses control of congress. Biden was all too content letting the GOP & centrists Democrats run out the clock negotiating a shitty infrastructure bill that does nothing but transfer wealth from urban taxpayers to rural freeloaders.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 05:09 PM
Also you might as well give upOK.

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 05:10 PM
OK.
The window to get major legislation done is your first year in office. It's that simple. Biden already has given up, that's why he intentionally waited this long.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 05:11 PM
The window to get major legislation done is your first year in office. It's that simple. Biden already has given up, that's why he intentionally waited this long.OK.

DMC

Sure but nothing says non federal employer has to let you off on a federal holiday.

Will Hunting
OK.
Excellent argument!

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 05:14 PM
The fact Biden blinked on infrastructure and gave into the centrist demands to pass BIF before BBB was agreed to was my last straw. It was so obvious that Manchin wanted to kill BBB and he was just feigning interest in it to get BIF passed.

If the Democratic Party is going to let centrists control the agenda with corporate welfare disguised as "infrastructure legislation," it doesn't need my support.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 05:14 PM
Excellent argument!I'm accepting your position of giving up.

How am I supposed to argue that?

You gave up and want everyone else to give up.

I'm not going to convince you to not give up.

Therefore: OK.

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 05:15 PM
I'm accepting your position of giving up.

How am I supposed to argue that?

You gave up and want everyone else to give up.

OK.
:lol "You gave up"

What should I personally be doing to get voting rights legislation passed? Writing my (non-existent) senator?

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 05:17 PM
:lol "You gave up"

What should I personally be doing to get voting rights legislation passed? Writing my (non-existent) senator?So it's not on you but you want everyone else to give up?

OK.

I'm not bagging on you. I'm accepting your position. I don't think we are arguing at all.

If it's over it's really over. Nothing else to do.

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 05:19 PM
So it's not on you but you want everyone else to give up?

OK.

I'm not bagging on you. I'm accepting your position. I don't think we are arguing at all.

If it's over it's really over. Nothing else to do.
I never said I wanted everyone else to "give up" (still not sure what you're implying I and "everyone else" can be doing).

Regarding what I want everyone else to do - I think the rotating villain theory is a real thing and the base needs to start revolting against it.

spurraider21
01-11-2022, 05:19 PM

this has always been the glaringly obvious slam dunk compromise. but they dont want to compromise. they just want to keep being able to cry foul

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 05:21 PM
I never said I wanted everyone else to "give up" (still not sure what you're implying I and "everyone else" can be doing).

Regarding what I want everyone else to do - I think the rotating villain theory is a real thing and the base needs to start revolting against it.No worries. It's probably been too late all along; even before November 2020.

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 05:22 PM
this has always been the glaringly obvious slam dunk compromise. but they dont want to compromise. they just want to keep being able to cry foul
Agreed. They don't give a fuck about ID, they just want to make voting harder.

The best example of this was Scott Walker passing a voting ID law in WI then almost simultaneously cutting the hours that DMVs would be open. I'm sure it was just a coincidence he signed an ID law then did something that would make the wait time to get an ID longer!

SnakeBoy
01-11-2022, 05:22 PM

Start painting centrist Democrats as the obstructionists that they are instead of kowtowing to them the way Biden and Pelosi have so far this year.

Keep Feinstein though. She's great.

and Sweet Amy of course

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 05:25 PM
Keep Feinstein though. She's great.

and Sweet Amy of course
I actually think Amy should be majority leader. She somehow gets insane cross party appeal whenever she's up for election and she supports the party's agenda; a midwestern woman who wins her state in a landslide is a much better face of the party than Pelosi or Schumer could ever be.

It's also very clear to me that she has been busting her ass behind the scenes on voting rights stuff almost since the day Biden took office.

Feinstein OTOH would have been better off getting cooked at Auschwitz.

SnakeBoy
01-11-2022, 05:41 PM
I actually think Amy should be majority leader. She somehow gets insane cross party appeal whenever she's up for election and she supports the party's agenda; a midwestern woman who wins her state in a landslide is a much better face of the party than Pelosi or Schumer could ever be.

It's also very clear to me that she has been busting her ass behind the scenes on voting rights stuff almost since the day Biden took office.

Feinstein OTOH would have been better off getting cooked at Auschwitz.

Amy was the best choice for libs in the primaries, as I said repeatedly.

You're a wingnut so obviously you want purity tests but in reality, what your party desperately needs is to primary out the elderly, not just moderates. D party leadership looks like the politburo when Breshnev died. Old, frail, unable to adapt to a changing world.

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 05:48 PM
Amy was the best choice for libs in the primaries, as I said repeatedly.

You're a wingnut so obviously you want purity tests but in reality, what your party desperately needs is to primary out the elderly, not just moderates. D party leadership looks like the politburo when Breshnev died. Old, frail, unable to adapt to a changing world.
There are only certain issues I want purity tests on, other issues (trannies, immigration, crime & guns) I want the party to move right on, but yes getting the old fucks out of office should be just as big a focus as primarying the centrists.

That corrupt spear chucking monkey Bobby Rush retiring was great news. The entire Congressional Black caucus is a corrupt boomer cesspool that needs to go.

Amy would have lost to Trump at the top of ticket (IMO anyone other than Biden would have) but she'd be a way better VP than Copmala is.

Thread
01-11-2022, 05:56 PM
And the GOP will grow old, gray and die before it would ever agree to two weeks mandatory early voting in all 50 states + making eday a national holiday.

Making it so the single mom juggling two jobs has to work a double shift on election day is a central pillar in the GOP's electoral strategy.

I think you're wrong, Will. If (that) was the deal it'd be done. ID for 2 weeks early voting + the holiday.

We'd have no hard time with that.

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 05:59 PM
I think you're wrong, Will. If (that) was the deal it'd be done. ID for 2 weeks early voting + the holiday.

We'd have no hard time with that.
Sure, if you and I were the leaders of each senate caucus, I have no doubt we'd be able to get a deal done quick. I have no doubt your personal concerns over voter ID / voter fraud are in good faith.

I'm saying your party's leader's concerns aren't in good faith.

Similarly, I think the Democrats claiming that passing universal mail-in voting at the federal level is a must have aren't acting in good faith. There's no basis for forcing every state to provide no-excuse absentee voting, people can go vote in person (especially if there's 2 mandatory weeks of in-person early voting).

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 06:02 PM
Heck, I'd even agree to a federal ban on mailing ballots to every voter even when they're not requested the way California and DC do it. IMO no excuse mail-in voting should be by request only and it should be left up to the states as long as there are federal rules ensuring a 2 week window for people to go vote in person.

SnakeBoy
01-11-2022, 06:31 PM
There are only certain issues I want purity tests on, other issues (trannies, immigration, crime & guns) I want the party to move right on, but yes getting the old fucks out of office should be just as big a focus as primarying the centrists.

That corrupt spear chucking monkey Bobby Rush retiring was great news. The entire Congressional Black caucus is a corrupt boomer cesspool that needs to go.

Amy would have lost to Trump at the top of ticket (IMO anyone other than Biden would have) but she'd be a way better VP than Copmala is.

Idk I think Amy had just as much chance if not more than hidin Biden if the leadership had coalesced around her. She's just as generic as Biden if not moreso.

Even if you're right, your wing of the party would have been better off losing to Trump as long as you held the house. Everything that is happening now (covid raging, inflation & supply chain issues, high oil prices, etc.) was baked in no matter who sat in the WH. Trump would be polling in the 20's by now. Instead it's all because of radical leftwing socialist Joe and we got your party to agree that $400k is middle class to boot :lol

baseline bum
01-11-2022, 06:36 PM
Idk I think Amy had just as much chance if not more than hidin Biden if the leadership had coalesced around her. She's just as generic as Biden if not moreso.

Even if you're right, your wing of the party would have been better off losing to Trump as long as you held the house. Everything that is happening now (covid raging, inflation & supply chain issues, high oil prices, etc.) was baked in no matter who sat in the WH. Trump would be polling in the 20's by now. Instead it's all because of radical leftwing socialist Joe and we got your party to agree that $400k is middle class to boot :lol

:lol No he wouldn't. There is nothing Trump could ever do to lose the 30-35%.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 06:39 PM
:lol No he wouldn't. There is nothing Trump could ever do to lose the 30-35%.

No Trump voter here would ever turn on him.

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 06:56 PM

Policy wise the two aren’t different, but Klob is mostly unknown to voters. Biden being a well known, vanilla old white guy gave him an edge that no other candidate had with low propensity voters.

DMC
01-11-2022, 07:03 PM
Heck, I'd even agree to a federal ban on mailing ballots to every voter even when they're not requested the way California and DC do it. IMO no excuse mail-in voting should be by request only and it should be left up to the states as long as there are federal rules ensuring a 2 week window for people to go vote in person.

I don't necessarily have an issue with mailing everyone a ballot. They mail the census and we don't ask for that. If we have a responsibility to be counted, we should have a responsibility to vote. I have zero issue with "too many votes".

SnakeBoy
01-11-2022, 07:14 PM
Less people voting is better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NTkXIidCU0

boutons_deux
01-11-2022, 07:21 PM
https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/271667012_483473146470286_6274106374666387768_n.jp g?_nc_cat=1&_nc_rgb565=1&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=Yzbr7CVz5McAX-VGLO9&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=00_AT9NyXFdzoVMj7thYE9QzXc-OZojxsijGvmhQPePcBYvCw&oe=61E35663

DMC
01-11-2022, 07:22 PM
Less people voting is better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NTkXIidCU0

That's cool until you're one of the ones disenfranchised. I don't think everyone should vote. I think everyone should have the option. The only way a 3rd party will ever successfully emerge is if those who don't normally vote actually get involved. Otherwise it's a red wave followed by blue wave, rinse and repeat.

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 07:37 PM
I don't necessarily have an issue with mailing everyone a ballot. They mail the census and we don't ask for that. If we have a responsibility to be counted, we should have a responsibility to vote. I have zero issue with "too many votes".
The government conducting a census is mandated by the constitution though; the constitution includes the right to vote but it doesn't create a duty for the government to seek out everyone's vote.

I don't necessarily have an "issue" with mailing everyone a ballot, but I sympathize with people who do, and I'm fine with curtailing mail-in voting (as long as it's replaced with mandatory in person early voting) if it restores confidence in elections.

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 07:40 PM
Basically, I really don't think it's too burdensome to ask an able bodied adult to, at some point during a 2 week voting period, go to the polls and cast an in person vote if they want to be counted, provided that they aren't forced to wait in line for a long period of time.

DarrinS
01-11-2022, 07:40 PM

Will Hunting
01-11-2022, 07:41 PM
Damn all the "muh Tuskegee Experiments!" moon crickets who support her are gonna be pissed.

SnakeBoy
01-11-2022, 07:52 PM
That's cool until you're one of the ones disenfranchised. I don't think everyone should vote. I think everyone should have the option. The only way a 3rd party will ever successfully emerge is if those who don't normally vote actually get involved. Otherwise it's a red wave followed by blue wave, rinse and repeat.

Everyone does have the option of voting. If the smallest amount of effort & participation is enough to dissuade someone from voting then that person should not be voting.

A 3 party system isn't going to work. The 3rd party will always end up being swallowed by one of the other two (or both) or replacing one of the other two parties.

The reason we keep having red wave followed by blue wave, rinse and repeat, is that outside of rhetoric there is no significant difference between the parties over the last 25 years. It hasn't always been this way. Once we get through this political realignment period one party will be established as the majority party for a longer period of time. It will probably take the rest of this decade and it looks like the GOP is winning the race atm. Which is weird because their important policies benefit the larger number of peoples but for some reason, they are dead set focusing their messaging to an ever-decreasing slice of the population. Meanwhile the GOP can always fall back on muh Freedom, which is a powerful sentiment in this country.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/72/Combined--Control_of_the_U.S._House_of_Representatives_-_Control_of_the_U.S._Senate.png

boutons_deux
01-11-2022, 07:59 PM
Basically, I really don't think it's too burdensome to ask an able bodied adult to, at some point during a 2 week voting period, go to the polls and cast an in person vote if they want to be counted, provided that they aren't forced to wait in line for a long period of time.

eg, Georgia has closed 100s of voting sites

Confederate/red states, esp swing states under Repug control: local election officials replaced by Repug operatives.

There Will Be Counting Fraud

America is fucked and unfuckable. The fucking will ramp way up after Repugs control all 3 branches, the objection corruption, as it always is with one-party countries.

Repugs will kill the filibuster, knowing the Dems never again control the Senate.

spurraider21
01-11-2022, 08:08 PM
i dont think its turnout thats holding back third parties as much as the electoral college with winner-take-all states

boutons_deux
01-11-2022, 08:36 PM
https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/271708705_483595586458042_8992551522861962352_n.jp g?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=2VlwpeKjdo8AX_FxKVt&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=00_AT_o1NtGe5EyfZ-X8sf7c-NvF0nS38hKVy7xX172kIfSxA&oe=61E28109

ducks
01-11-2022, 08:40 PM
Yep. Could have voted early or asked for a mail in ballot.

ElNono
01-11-2022, 08:43 PM
What is your estimate of US Citizens without an ID? How does one even function without an ID, cash welfare checks, etc?

How does having an ID solve issues like gerrymandering? The conversation is much more complicated than that.

spurraider21
01-11-2022, 09:38 PM
i know for instance in the infamous North Carolina voter id situation... they specifically chose which forms of ID they would or would not accept and that also was disproportionately targeting minorities. if every state trying to enact these bills provided free IDs to people, i think there would be a lot less pushback.

and imo, it should go further. the state should send applications for the free ID to every address of a registered voter. every few years they can keep sending those applications to new voters or those who have changed addresses, etc. be proactive about it.

my beef with voter ID laws isn't the principle of the matter itself. is it that bad to have voters confirm their ID at the polls? no, not really. the issue is that in large part, they are a solution looking for a problem, ie we dont see significant amount of voter fraud at the polls such that we need sweeping reform to address it. so if you're going to take that step, fine i guess, but have to be pretty damn certain you aren't fucking anybody over

ElNono
01-11-2022, 09:41 PM
i know for instance in the infamous North Carolina voter id situation... they specifically chose which forms of ID they would or would not accept and that also was disproportionately targeting minorities. if every state trying to enact these bills provided free IDs to people, i think there would be a lot less pushback.

and imo, it should go further. the state should send applications for the free ID to every address of a registered voter

Exactly. Plus mail-in voting is now somehow a bad thing?

DarrinS
01-11-2022, 10:19 PM
Getting ID is easy.
Voting is easy.

Bigger problems to solve, tbh.

spurraider21
01-11-2022, 10:23 PM
Getting ID is easy.
Voting is easy.

Bigger problems to solve, tbh.
Voter fraud isnt an issue.

bigger problems to solve.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2022, 10:36 PM
Getting ID is easy.
Voting is easy.

Bigger problems to solve, tbh.Then why did Texas change voting from 2020?

DarrinS
01-12-2022, 12:01 AM
Quit acting like voter ID is like making people take IQ tests. Its 2022.

ChumpDumper
01-12-2022, 12:06 AM

Why did Texas change voting from 2020?

Adam Lambert
01-12-2022, 12:32 AM

That's right, it's 2022, so why are you still obsessed with card based proof of identity?

DarrinS
01-12-2022, 12:33 AM
That's right, it's 2022, so why are you still obsessed with card based proof of identity?

Its a very low bar.

ChumpDumper
01-12-2022, 12:35 AM
Its a very low bar.Also it's already been law for years. It's 2022.

Why did Texas change voting laws again last year?

DarrinS
01-12-2022, 12:40 AM
Also it's already been law for years. It's 2022.

Since you'll keep repeating yourself like a retarded Chatty Cathy doll, what specific changes do you have issue with?

Dirks_Finale
01-12-2022, 12:44 AM
Could you cite the protected right to travel on a plane as written into the United States Constitution? I'm having trouble finding it.

You're an idiot.

Constitution good now? You guys need to make up your minds already.

ChumpDumper
01-12-2022, 12:45 AM
Since you'll keep repeating yourself like a retarded Chatty Cathy doll, what specific changes do you have issue with?
Why can't you just answer my question, Darrin?

Just once.

Your Voter ID law was already on the books.

Dirks_Finale
01-12-2022, 12:51 AM
Who has cheated?

Yes nobody has ever cheated :lol

I want mandatory ID. And not like it matters what I think because I am not in congress, but, I am fine with making election day a federal holiday. Im also cool with a federal mandate of at least 2 weeks of early voting.

Free I.D.? Meh, if people can use their welfare check to buy tattoos and lotto tickets they can spend a few bucks on an I.D.

ChumpDumper
01-12-2022, 12:54 AM
Yes nobody has ever cheated :lol

I want mandatory ID.Do you guys actually know the law in Texas?

It looks like none of you has voted in the last three years.

Dirks_Finale
01-12-2022, 12:59 AM

It's really insulting to minorities when dems insinuate that they are too stupid and/or destitute to acquire an I.D.

Not only that, mandatory I.D. polls very well. Something like 70% agree with it.

Dirks_Finale
01-12-2022, 01:01 AM
Do you guys actually know the law in Texas?

It looks like none of you has voted in the last three years.

I am not referring to TX

DarrinS
01-12-2022, 01:01 AM
Why can't you just answer my question, Darrin?

Just once.

Your Voter ID law was already on the books.

You first, since you brought it up.

ChumpDumper
01-12-2022, 01:03 AM
You first, since you brought it up.Just say you don't have an answer. Admit you have nothing.

Drive up voting. 24 hour voting. Multiple drop off locations. Multiple polling stations. Convenient weekend poll hours. I don't think there was anything wrong with the way the election in 2020 was conducted. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Your turn: Why did Texas change voting laws again last year?

ChumpDumper
01-12-2022, 01:04 AM
I am not referring to TXTo what state are you referring?

DarrinS
01-12-2022, 01:15 AM
Just say you don't have an answer. Admit you have nothing.

Drive up voting. 24 hour voting. Multiple drop off locations. Multiple polling stations. Convenient weekend poll hours. I don't think there was anything wrong with the way the election in 2020 was conducted. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Your turn: Why did Texas change voting laws again last year?

My guess is, we won't need the lax voting provisions of 2020 (because of covid) in the next election.

ChumpDumper
01-12-2022, 01:22 AM
My guess is, we won't need the lax voting provisions of 2020 (because of covid) in the next election.What do you mean by "lax"?

Be specific.

Were there actual problems in 2020 or is it just some hysterical fear you've got in your mind?

Winehole23
01-12-2022, 07:56 AM
What do you mean by "lax"?

Be specific.

Were there actual problems in 2020 or is it just some hysterical fear you've got in your mind?To recur for a moment to process, the OP started by whining about changing the Senate rules to protect voting from cynical attempts to limit it, now Darrin and Dirks are defending voting restrictions the Texas lege twisted the rules to introduce.

For those who don't remember, Texas (R)s set the calendar back one day after the special session had already expired to change the Senate rules, have an all night one party conference committee to change a bill members had already passed, inserting most of the things you just mentioned, then cut off all discussion and debate about those changes the next day.

The Dems walked, denying the quorum, but most of the crapola Texas (R)s introduced that day got crammed down our throats in a bespoke extra special session to address the dire public emergency of Texans voting in elections in slightly larger numbers.

Will Hunting
01-12-2022, 08:54 AM
It's really insulting to minorities when dems insinuate that they are too stupid and/or destitute to acquire an I.D.

Not only that, mandatory I.D. polls very well. Something like 70% agree with it.
Except for say situations like the voter ID law in North Dakota that required a physical address knowing full well that thousands of Native Americans lived in a reservation and didn't have a legal address. In that case it actually is pretty difficult for them to get an ID that complies with state law.

Will Hunting
01-12-2022, 08:56 AM
My guess is, we won't need the lax voting provisions of 2020 (because of covid) in the next election.
What's wrong with anything he listed (24 hour voting, multiple drop boxes, weekend polling hours, drive-up voting, etc.)?

This is why I laugh when Republicans claim this is just about muh voter fraud, to them it's clearly about abating access to the polls.

TimDunkem
01-12-2022, 09:35 AM
What's wrong with anything he listed (24 hour voting, multiple drop boxes, weekend polling hours, drive-up voting, etc.)?

This is why I laugh when Republicans claim this is just about muh voter fraud, to them it's clearly about abating access to the polls.
Maybe they just prefer inefficiency and standing in line all day.

Will Hunting
01-12-2022, 09:41 AM
Maybe they just prefer inefficiency and standing in line all day.
That's definitely what they prefer for inner city voters.

DarrinS
01-12-2022, 09:58 AM
We are the best democratic republic when as many people as possible are represented, no matter who wins, Democrats or Republicans. But going over a lot of these election laws, I went in, preparing for today, and I saw, you know what? New Jersey doesn’t allow ballot harvesting. And that’s a Democratic state. Delaware doesn’t allow the kind of early voting that a lot of other states do. How come — but then the journalist in me, as well as the cynic, says, ‘Well, how come Democrats only complain about the voting — strict voting regulations in red states, in Texas and Georgia and not in Democratic states like New York?'

Winehole23
01-12-2022, 10:05 AM
I've complained about shady NY election laws a probably a half dozen times in this forum, nobody seemed to notice or care.

I kinda doubt you do either, Darrin.

Winehole23
01-12-2022, 10:42 AM
Actually existing voter ID laws are a solution in search of a problem at the level of declared intention ("secure elections"), but in practice they address a well-known "problem" -- black folks voting for Democrats.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FI4E1M8VcAAO1R5?format=jpg&name=large

ChumpDumper
01-12-2022, 11:02 AM
(subject change attempt)What do you say was "lax" about voting in 2020 that had to be changed in your opinion?

Winehole23
01-12-2022, 11:07 AM
Election security is a fig leaf.

CC, Dirks and Darrin are on the side of George Wallace, Bull Connor and Jefferson Davis.

Do you want to be on the side of Dr. King or George Wallace? The side of John Lewis or Bull Connor? The side of Abraham Lincoln or Jefferson Davis?

CosmicCowboy
01-12-2022, 11:22 AM
Election security is a fig leaf.

CC, Dirks and Darrin are on the side of George Wallace, Bull Connor and Jefferson Davis.

Typical Whinehole hyperbole. Just proves the original post was dead on.

ChumpDumper
01-12-2022, 11:31 AM
Typical Whinehole hyperbole. Just proves the original post was dead on.Why was voting changed in Texas in 2021?

Winehole23
01-12-2022, 11:41 AM
Almost right. Fake electoral slates were sent for seven states.

Winehole23
01-12-2022, 11:42 AM
Typical Whinehole hyperbole. Just proves the original post was dead on.What hyperbole? Are you for protecting g voting rights or against it?

Your purported principles and procedural concern trilling have been thoroughly dragged in this thread. All that remains is Republican will to power through voter suppression.

CosmicCowboy
01-12-2022, 11:47 AM
What hyperbole? Are you for protecting g voting rights or against it?

Your purported principles and procedural concern trilling have been thoroughly dragged in this thread. All that remains is Republican will to power through voter suppression.

Comparing us to the President of the Confederacy is pure hyperbole, Whinehole.

ChumpDumper
01-12-2022, 11:48 AM
Comparing us to the President of the Confederacy is pure hyperbole, Whinehole.

Why was voting changed in Texas in 2021?

Winehole23
01-12-2022, 11:49 AM
Comparing us to the President of the Confederacy is pure hyperbole, Whinehole.ok, withdrawn. but I'll keep George Wallace and Bull Connor.

DMC
01-12-2022, 11:55 AM
Except for say situations like the voter ID law in North Dakota that required a physical address knowing full well that thousands of Native Americans lived in a reservation and didn't have a legal address. In that case it actually is pretty difficult for them to get an ID that complies with state law.

Native Americans suddenly important.

Winehole23
01-12-2022, 11:58 AM
Poster B appears for some belated towel-snapping

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DiligentCheeryAddax-size_restricted.gif

DMC
01-12-2022, 11:58 AM
The government conducting a census is mandated by the constitution though; the constitution includes the right to vote but it doesn't create a duty for the government to seek out everyone's vote.

I don't necessarily have an "issue" with mailing everyone a ballot, but I sympathize with people who do, and I'm fine with curtailing mail-in voting (as long as it's replaced with mandatory in person early voting) if it restores confidence in elections.

Not sure the right to vote is in the constitution. Maybe implied.

DMC
01-12-2022, 11:59 AM
Poster B appears for some belated towel-snapping

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DiligentCheeryAddax-size_restricted.gif
When did anyone give a fuck about the Native Americans other than to use them as a tool for blocking/passing bills?

ChumpDumper
01-12-2022, 12:07 PM
Voting has been confirmed by SCOTUS to be a right.

When did DMC give a fuck about anything but biting men's ankles and obsessing over their personal lives?

DMC
01-12-2022, 12:13 PM
I say election WEEK, not election day. 5 days to vote. No reporting until votes are in.

boutons_deux
01-12-2022, 12:19 PM
Voting has been confirmed by SCOTUS to be a right.

when? what case? The Constitution delegates running elections (voter eligibility) to the (slave) states

Winehole23
01-12-2022, 12:21 PM
When did anyone give a fuck about the Native Americans other than to use them as a tool for blocking/passing bills?Sentimentality runs strong for Native Americans. During my childhood it was very fashionable to claim native heritage.

ABORIGINIES, n. Persons of little worth found cumbering the soil of a newly discovered country. They soon cease to cumber; they fertilize.

ChumpDumper
01-12-2022, 12:29 PM
when? what case? The Constitution delegates running elections (voter eligibility) to the (slave) statesAbout three or four Warren court decisions in the 60s over apportionment solidified the right that was all but explicitly codified in the amendments that had expanded the franchise.

boutons_deux
01-12-2022, 12:43 PM
About three or four Warren court decisions in the 60s over apportionment solidified the right that was all but explicitly codified in the amendments that had expanded the franchise.

"To accomplish the ends under this clause, Congress may adopt the statutes of the states and enforce them by its own sanctions.22 (https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/essay/artI_S4_C1_1_1_1_2/#ALDF_00000391)

It may punish a state election officer for violating his duty under a state law governing congressional elections.23 (https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/essay/artI_S4_C1_1_1_1_2/#ALDF_00000392)

It may, in short, use its power under this clause, combined with the Necessary and Proper Clause,

to regulate the times, places, and manner of electing Members of Congress so as to fully safeguard the integrity of the process;

it may not, however, under this clause, provide different qualifications for electors than those provided by the states.24 (https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/essay/artI_S4_C1_1_1_1_2/#ALDF_00000393)"

https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/essay/artI_S4_C1_1_1_1_2/

well, Congress, Dem Congress, don't do shit to protect the right to vote.

ChumpDumper
01-12-2022, 12:51 PM
"To accomplish the ends under this clause, Congress may adopt the statutes of the states and enforce them by its own sanctions.22 (https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/essay/artI_S4_C1_1_1_1_2/#ALDF_00000391)

It may punish a state election officer for violating his duty under a state law governing congressional elections.23 (https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/essay/artI_S4_C1_1_1_1_2/#ALDF_00000392)

It may, in short, use its power under this clause, combined with the Necessary and Proper Clause,

to regulate the times, places, and manner of electing Members of Congress so as to fully safeguard the integrity of the process;

it may not, however, under this clause, provide different qualifications for electors than those provided by the states.24 (https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/essay/artI_S4_C1_1_1_1_2/#ALDF_00000393)"

https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/essay/artI_S4_C1_1_1_1_2/

well, Congress, Dem Congress, don't do shit to protect the right to vote.

It's not easy to pass such statutes these days, although it should be a no-brainer for anyone who actually believes in the United States.

DMC
01-12-2022, 12:54 PM
Sentimentality runs strong for Native Americans. During my childhood it was very fashionable to claim native heritage.

Strong anecdotal rebuttal.

Will Hunting
01-12-2022, 12:55 PM
Not sure the right to vote is in the constitution. Maybe implied.
In the context of what we were discussing, that would only further my argument as to why mailing census forms to everyone makes a lot more sense than mailing ballots to everyone.

Will Hunting
01-12-2022, 01:00 PM
I say election WEEK, not election day. 5 days to vote. No reporting until votes are in.
Imo it should be two weeks but more importantly, all the laws in states like PA/MI/AZ/WI that delayed the counting of ballots unnecessarily should be nixed. Every state should do what Florida does where ballots get processed and counted (not reported) as they come in such that Florida’s basically done counting and reporting election results within a few hours of polls closing sans late arriving military ballots. Getting all the ballots counted quickly and efficiently creates a sense of finality for people and there’s no reason it can’t be done in the year 2022.

DMC
01-12-2022, 11:33 PM
Imo it should be two weeks but more importantly, all the laws in states like PA/MI/AZ/WI that delayed the counting of ballots unnecessarily should be nixed. Every state should do what Florida does where ballots get processed and counted (not reported) as they come in such that Florida’s basically done counting and reporting election results within a few hours of polls closing sans late arriving military ballots. Getting all the ballots counted quickly and efficiently creates a sense of finality for people and there’s no reason it can’t be done in the year 2022.

I feel like some states see the delay as a time to showcase their states. When else is anyone going to give two shits about any of those states?

DMC
01-12-2022, 11:34 PM
In the context of what we were discussing, that would only further my argument as to why mailing census forms to everyone makes a lot more sense than mailing ballots to everyone.

I don't think it should be mandatory to do so, but it should be allowed, but the campaigns have to pay for it.

Winehole23
01-13-2022, 09:32 AM
Stacey Abrams snubs Brandon.

Action talks, bullshit walks.

Stacey Abrams, the voting-rights activist and Georgia governor candidate, isn’t joining President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris in Atlanta for a Tuesday speech and appearances devoted to legislation that would guarantee access to the polls. Abrams, who led get-out-the-vote efforts that swung the state to Biden and sent two Democrats to the U.S. Senate, has a scheduling conflict, according to spokesperson Seth Bringman. Biden had a ‘warm conversation’ with Abrams and they remain united on the issue, White House spokesperson Jen Psaki said. Many voting-rights organizers who worked closely with Abrams won’t join the delegation, which includes most of the state’s party leaders. Some issued an open letter, dismissing Tuesday’s visit as ‘an empty gesture, without concrete action.’https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-11/abrams-and-voting-rights-allies-spurn-biden-s-atlanta-events

Will Hunting
01-13-2022, 09:46 AM
I feel like some states see the delay as a time to showcase their states. When else is anyone going to give two shits about any of those states?
Eh idk, Pennsylvania already gets plenty of attention as a swing state both sides need to win. Its laws around absentee/mail-in ballots are just outdated and the state leg refused to change them in 2020 notwithstanding how much Wolf pushed for them to be changed. Same thing with Michigan and Wisconsin - Whitmer and Evers wanted absentee/mail-in ballots to get processed as they came in but the state leg wouldn't entertain changing the law.

Florida I give credit to because it responded to the 2000 election shitshow by revamping its election laws and becoming probably the best large state at administering elections.

boutons_deux
01-13-2022, 12:23 PM

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-11/abrams-and-voting-rights-allies-spurn-biden-s-atlanta-events

"no concrete action" isn't Biden's fault, why snub him for something he can't control?

The oligarchy's corrupting bribes are impossible to beat (Manchin, Sinema).

koriwhat
01-13-2022, 12:26 PM

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-11/abrams-and-voting-rights-allies-spurn-biden-s-atlanta-events

LMAO you've got to be a huge dumbass to applaud either Abrams or Biden. Both are failures and deserve the worst coming to them.

koriwhat
01-13-2022, 12:29 PM
"no concrete action" isn't Biden's fault, why snub him for something he can't control?

The oligarchy's corrupting bribes are impossible to beat (Manchin, Sinema).

Keep sucking Biden off by making excuses for his failures...

boutons_deux
01-13-2022, 01:43 PM
Behind the LIE of requiring bi-partisanship, Sinema said today she will not vote for the voting rights act.

She received $750K from BigPharma, and parties with the P/E and hedge fund crowd.

The oligarchy again proves it is more powerful than voters and actually owns and operates the country.

The oligarchy has been, is strategizing/financing towards one-party fascism and the $Ts the oligarchy will amass from the guaranteed corruption.

SnakeBoy
01-13-2022, 03:28 PM

There's only one man standing in Biden's way :cry

SnakeBoy
01-13-2022, 03:48 PM
WASHINGTON (AP) — All but acknowledging defeat, President Joe Biden said Thursday he’s “not sure” his elections and voting rights legislation can pass Congress this year....“One thing for certain, like every other major civil rights bill that came along, if we miss the first time, we could come back and try the second time," he told reporters

I didn't think he would wave the white flag this fast tbh

Will Hunting
01-13-2022, 03:54 PM
You didn't? It's pretty clear that Biden has no interest in fighting with Sinema and Manchin. He seems perfectly content with letting them control his agenda and having them as a reason for why nothing can get done.

He's following right along O'n!gger's footsteps in setting his party up for a midterm shellacking to ensure he has split government to blame for why he'll be a lame duck 2 years into his presidency.

SnakeBoy
01-13-2022, 03:58 PM
You didn't? It's pretty clear that Biden has no interest in fighting with Sinema and Manchin. He seems perfectly content with letting them control his agenda and having them as a reason for why nothing can get done.

He's following right along O'n!gger's footsteps in setting his party up for a midterm shellacking to ensure he has split government to blame for why he'll be a lame duck 2 years into his presidency.

I thought he would make a show of it for a while before taking a shit on the left. Gave one speech then oh nevermind :lol

SnakeBoy
01-13-2022, 03:59 PM
I'm liking this Brandon fella more and more tbh

SnakeBoy
01-13-2022, 04:00 PM
Might have to crossover for him in '24

Will Hunting
01-13-2022, 04:01 PM
I thought he would make a show of it for a while before taking a shit on the left. Gave one speech then oh nevermind :lol
Sinema had been unusually quiet about the whole thing for weeks and for whatever reason other Democrats interpreted that as her saying "get Manchin on board and I'll go along with it"

Turns out she was just waiting for the right time to girlboss Biden back into the White House basement :lol

spurraider21
01-13-2022, 04:04 PM
thats because you were gullible enough to believe he was a radical far left marxist

Will Hunting
01-13-2022, 04:07 PM
Honestly don't blame Biden that much on the voting rights stuff, but him getting duped by Manchinema into passing the Rob Portman corporate welfare infrastructure plan before there was any agreement on BBB will easily be the biggest failure of his presidency. Anyone with a brain saw that holding BIF hostage was the only leverage Biden had, but he was so desperate for anything even faintly resembling a W that he buckled and just hoped Manchin would be a nice guy in return.

SnakeBoy
01-13-2022, 04:11 PM
thats because you were gullible enough to believe he was a radical far left marxist

says the Bernie bro who thought Biden would throw him a bone

I know exactly who the Senator from MBNA is.

I told you lefties you would be better off losing this one. Now he's dug in like a tick...and all the countries problems are because of socialism :lol

SnakeBoy
01-13-2022, 04:22 PM
Man he went to his phony angry voice

Will Hunting
01-13-2022, 04:27 PM
:lmao he actually said "we missed this time"

The fake angry voice was pretty obvious in that clip.

Will Hunting
01-13-2022, 04:31 PM
"Like every major civil rights bill, if we miss this time, we can come back a 2nd time"

lmao no, in that era the Dems had complete control of congress for literal decades and huge senate majorities, that comparison makes no sense.

SnakeBoy
01-13-2022, 04:34 PM
"Like every major civil rights bill, if we miss this time, we can come back a 2nd time"

lmao no, in that era the Dems had complete control of congress for literal decades and huge senate majorities, that comparison makes no sense.

He's gonna keep fighting as long as he has breath in him tho

Will Hunting
01-13-2022, 04:36 PM
He's gonna keep fighting as long as he has breath in him tho
"keep fighting" = begrudgingly drag his old ass to Georgia to visit cornpop & give a speech about voting rights after progressives have been up his ass for a year about how he's done nothing on voting rights :lol

Will Hunting
01-13-2022, 04:38 PM
I'm accepting your position of giving up.

Slow Joe just agreed with my position of giving up :lmao

DMC
01-13-2022, 05:03 PM
Eh idk, Pennsylvania already gets plenty of attention as a swing state both sides need to win. Its laws around absentee/mail-in ballots are just outdated and the state leg refused to change them in 2020 notwithstanding how much Wolf pushed for them to be changed. Same thing with Michigan and Wisconsin - Whitmer and Evers wanted absentee/mail-in ballots to get processed as they came in but the state leg wouldn't entertain changing the law.

Florida I give credit to because it responded to the 2000 election shitshow by revamping its election laws and becoming probably the best large state at administering elections.

#ThanksKatherineHarris

DMC
01-13-2022, 05:05 PM

Not me, I knew better.

Called it

ChumpDumper
01-13-2022, 05:06 PM
Slow Joe just agreed with my position of giving up :lmao

It's too late anyway. Has been for years.

spurraider21
01-13-2022, 05:47 PM
says the Bernie bro who thought Biden would throw him a bone

I know exactly who the Senator from MBNA is.

I told you lefties you would be better off losing this one. Now he's dug in like a tick...and all the countries problems are because of socialism :lol
Warren was my preferred candidate. i ended up voting for bernie in the primary because he was the only viable option to compete with biden. and then i voted for biden in the general. not much of a bernie bro, imo

boutons_deux
01-13-2022, 07:30 PM
Sinema, at least her, has killed the voting rights act, ending USA's Potemkin democracy, enabling fascism for Jan 2025.

She has no future as a Dem, will probably switch to Repug, perhaps, even probably, before her next election.

Winehole23
01-13-2022, 09:13 PM
Legal voter suppression is happening in plain sight right now.

Does that make it right?

DarrinS
01-13-2022, 10:31 PM
:cry

I waited in line for about 1 hour, showed my ID, then beep boop beep, I was done.

It was just like Jim Crow.

ElNono
01-13-2022, 11:18 PM

I waited in line for about 1 hour, showed my ID, then beep boop beep, I was done.

muh zip code...

Adam Lambert
01-13-2022, 11:23 PM

Why do you keep doing this to yourself?

boutons_deux
01-13-2022, 11:25 PM
Legal voter suppression is happening in plain sight right now.

Does that make it right?

after Jan 2025, the fascists will:

criminalize all mail-in ballots, with the exemptions to be obstructively difficult to obtain

drop boxes and drive-by voting illegal

providing water or food to voters standing in voting line will be a capital offense

Today's SCOTUS6 ruling against OSHA foreshadows "destruction of the administrative state" by enforcing the "delegation clause"

SnakeBoy
01-13-2022, 11:26 PM

Bout 2 minutes out here in red county. Like 40-50 voting machines and free coffee & cookies afterwards.

DarrinS
01-14-2022, 12:03 AM
Bout 2 minutes out here in red county. Like 40-50 voting machines and free coffee & cookies afterwards.

Sounds like slavery.

DarrinS
01-14-2022, 12:15 AM
Why do you keep doing this to yourself?

Why does spurminator use a faggoty alt? :lmao

RandomGuy
01-14-2022, 07:01 AM
The congressional democratic hysteria over this shit is hilarious...If they really do away with the filibuster in order to pass the federal takeover of elections it is gonna come back to bite them on the ass in spades.

The neo-fascist party's anti-democracy laws in the states they control are pretty clearly anti-democracy.

That you can't admit that... well, not anyone's -problem but your own.

CosmicCowboy
01-14-2022, 08:14 AM
It is startling when two speeches within 24 hours, neither much heralded in advance—the second wouldn’t even have been given without the first—leave you knowing you have witnessed a seminal moment in the history of an administration, but it happened this week. The president’s Tuesday speech in Atlanta, on voting rights, was a disaster for him. By the end of Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell’s answering speech on Wednesday you knew some new break point had occurred, that President Biden might have thought he was just crooning to part of his base but the repercussions were greater than that; he was breaking in some new way with others—and didn’t know it. It is poor political practice when you fail to guess the effects of your actions. He meant to mollify an important constituency but instead he filled his opponents with honest indignation and, I suspect, encouraged in that fractured group some new unity.
The speech itself was aggressive, intemperate, not only offensive but meant to offend. It seemed prepared by people who think there is only the Democratic Party in America, that’s it, everyone else is an outsider who can be disparaged. It was a mistake on so many levels. Presidents more than others in politics have to maintain an even strain, as astronauts used to say. If a president is rhetorically manipulative and divisive on a voting-rights bill it undercuts what he’s trying to establish the next day on Covid and the economy. The over-the-top language of the speech made him seem more emotional, less competent. The portentousness—“In our lives and . . . the life of our nation, there are moments so stark that they divide all that came before them from everything that followed. They stop time”—made him appear incapable of understanding how the majority of Americans understand our own nation’s history and the vast array of its challenges.

By the end he looked like a man operating apart from the American conversation, not at its center. This can be fatal to a presidency.

He was hardly done speaking when a new Quinnipiac poll showed the usual low Biden numbers, but, most pertinently, that 49% of respondents say he is doing more to divide the country, and only 42% see him as unifying it.

In the speech Mr. Biden claimed he stands against “the forces in America that value power over principle.” Last year Georgia elected two Democratic senators. “And what’s been the reaction of Republicans in Georgia? Choose the wrong way, the undemocratic way. To them, too many people voting in a democracy is a problem.” They want to “suppress the right to vote.” They want to “subvert the election.”

This is “Jim Crow 2.0,” it’s “insidious,” it’s “the kind of power you see in totalitarian states, not in democracies.”

The problem is greater than Georgia. “The United States Senate . . . has been rendered a shell of its former self.” Its rules must be changed. “The filibuster is not used by Republicans to bring the Senate together but to pull it further apart. The filibuster has been weaponized and abused.” Senators will now “declare where they stand, not just for the moment, but for the ages.”

Most wince-inducing: “Will you stand against election subversion? Yes or no? . . . Do you want to be on the side of Dr. King or George Wallace ? Do you want to be on the side of John Lewis or Bull Connor ? Do you want to be on the side of Abraham Lincoln or Jefferson Davis?”

If a speech can be full of itself this speech was.

From the floor of the Senate the next day came Mr. McConnell’s rebuke. It was stinging, indignant to the point of seething. He didn’t attempt to scale any rhetorical heights. The plainness of his language was ferocious.

Mr. Biden’s speech was “profoundly unpresidential,” “deliberately divisive” and “designed to pull our country further apart.” “I have known, liked and personally respected Joe Biden for many years. I did not recognize the man at the podium yesterday.” Mr. Biden had entered office calling on Americans to stop the shouting and lower the temperature. “Yesterday, he called millions of Americans his domestic ‘enemies.’ ” That, a week after he “gave a January 6th lecture about not stoking political violence.”

“Twelve months ago, this president said that ‘disagreement must not lead to disunion.’ But yesterday, he invoked the bloody disunion of the Civil War to demonize Americans who disagree with him. He compared a bipartisan majority of senators to literal traitors.”

“Twelve months ago, the president said that ‘politics need not be a raging fire destroying everything in its path.’ . . . Yesterday he poured a giant can of gasoline on that fire.”

“In less than a year, ‘restoring the soul of America’ has become: Agree with me, or you’re a bigot.”

“This inflammatory rhetoric was not an attempt to persuade skeptical Democratic or Republican senators. In fact, you could not invent a better advertisement for the legislative filibuster than a president abandoning rational persuasion for pure demagoguery.”

American voters, said Mr. McConnell, “did not give President Biden a mandate for very much.” They didn’t give him big majorities in Congress. But they did arguably give him a mandate to bridge a divided country. “It is the one job citizens actually hired him to do.” He has failed to do it.

Then Mr. McConnell looked at Mr. Biden’s specific claims regarding state voting laws. “The sitting president of the United States of America compared American states to ‘totalitarian states.’ He said our country will be an ‘autocracy’ if he does not get his way.” The world has now seen an American president “propagandize against his own country to a degree that would have made Pravda blush.”

“He trampled through some of the most sensitive and sacred parts of our nation’s past. He invoked times when activists bled, and when soldiers died. All to demagogue voting laws that are more expansive than what Democrats have in his own home state.”

“A president shouting that 52 senators and millions of Americans are racist unless he gets whatever he wants is proving exactly why the Framers built the Senate to check his power.”

What Mr. Biden was really doing was attempting to “delegitimize the next election in case they lose it.”

Now, he said, “It is the Senate’s responsibility to protect the country.”

That sounded very much like a vow. It won’t be good for Joe Biden.

When national Democrats talk to the country they always seem to be talking to themselves. They are of the left, as is their constituency, which wins the popular vote in presidential elections; the mainstream media through which they send their messages is of the left; the academics, historians and professionals they consult are of the left. They get in the habit of talking to themselves, in their language, in a single, looped conversation. They have no idea how they sound to the non-left, so they have no idea when they are damaging themselves. But this week in Georgia Mr. Biden damaged himself. And strengthened, and may even have taken a step in unifying, the non-Democrats who are among their countrymen, and who are in fact the majority of them.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/biden-reaches-break-point-georgia-speech-voting-rights-senate-mcconnell-division-election-law-11642110521

Will Hunting
01-14-2022, 09:36 AM
BREAKING NEWS: the Murdoch-owned WSJ disagrees with Joe Biden

CosmicCowboy
01-14-2022, 11:02 AM
Breaking news...Will Hunting loves him some incompetent Joe.

Adam Lambert
01-14-2022, 11:52 AM
Why does spurminator use a faggoty alt? :lmao

Don't change the subject, moron.

Why do you keep pointing to your own experience as a white male as proof that certain things don't happen to minorities? Don't you see the contradiction there? You even whiffed on Snakeboy's obvious joke.

Your white male insecurity is making you stupid. Try to enjoy your life and be thankful for your privilege. :tu

SnakeBoy
01-18-2022, 06:38 PM
This would be stupid if true