PDA

View Full Version : What would it take for you to trade Murray now?

scott
01-14-2022, 04:19 PM
Nevermind all the jabronis who thought we had to give up Murray and a zillion picks to get that scrub Simmons over the summer... say a team wanted DJ, what would you need in return to let him go at this point?

MultiTroll
01-14-2022, 05:32 PM
ATL gives Trae Young and John Collings
SAS gives Murray and Gregg CIA Pop.

Dallas gives Luca Doncic.
Spurs give Murray and Greg CIA Pop.

Degoat
01-14-2022, 06:44 PM
Jaylen Brown would be interesting in a Murray trade imo would never happen tho

Em-City
01-14-2022, 07:13 PM
Two consecutive top 10 picks would be nice

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-14-2022, 07:14 PM
Simmons

RC_Drunkford
01-14-2022, 07:36 PM
Untradeable

poopbox
01-14-2022, 07:39 PM
A player who I think is clearly going to be better than him AND a unprotected 1st...

SGA and an unprotected 1st that is ACTUALLY one of OKC 1st and NOT one of the first they got from another team would be as low as I would go cause I think overrall SGA will be better than Murray but I might actually be wrong there...

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-14-2022, 09:52 PM
Murray's been great but people seem to overrate his trade value. I'd guess it's similar to say OG, or maybe Sabonis but probably less. He's not a seamless fit on a good team.

Mr. Body
01-14-2022, 10:19 PM
I'd only trade him for a raft of draft picks. He's almost the only reason the team is competitive right now.

siraulo23
01-14-2022, 10:51 PM
Dejounte getting to the rim consistently now

If he keeps doing he'll be an all star very soon and it would take a lot for the spurs to trade him

cd98
01-14-2022, 11:08 PM
He’s a solid player that has good value but some of his numbers are more about opportunities than improvements. Until he can start winning games, he’s still not top tier. I’d put him as a fringe all star talent. But certainly room to be a solid all star. But he’s a fantasy superstar.

slick'81
01-14-2022, 11:17 PM
Untradeable

especially at his salary

KobesAchilles
01-14-2022, 11:50 PM
Zion

BatManu20
01-14-2022, 11:58 PM
Not Ben Simmons.

offset formation
01-15-2022, 12:09 AM
Dude is quickly making a case to be the next retired Spurs jersey with another few years of this stuff. And he's still what, 26?

Murray ought to be off the table.

slick'81
01-15-2022, 12:32 AM
Dude is quickly making a case to be the next retired Spurs jersey with another few years of this stuff. And he's still what, 26?

Murray ought to be off the table.

just turned 25 in sept.

MannyIsGod
01-15-2022, 02:09 AM
I'm not trading Murray for anyone over the age of 26 and anyone who isn't a top 30 player in the NBA.

Robz4000
01-15-2022, 02:36 AM
I'm not trading Murray for anyone over the age of 26 and anyone who isn't a top 30 player in the NBA.

According to advanced stats he already is a top 30 player in the league tbh.

Robz4000
01-15-2022, 02:38 AM
Murray's been great but people seem to overrate his trade value. I'd guess it's similar to say OG, or maybe Sabonis but probably less. He's not a seamless fit on a good team.

:lol Murray being comparable to OG Anunoby. Agree on Sabonis though.

Dejounte
01-15-2022, 06:37 AM
https://twitter.com/jeffgspurszone/status/1482214657112879104?s=21

https://twitter.com/jeffgspurszone/status/1482214153121116163?s=21

https://twitter.com/jeffgspurszone/status/1482205183069282307?s=21

Doesn’t matter if Spurs fans want to trade him or not. I don’t think the Spurs ever will. I don’t see how you go from leading team meetings to being traded. DJ is engrained into the Spurs’ culture now. It runs through his blood and he lives and breathes it.

DJ is not yet close to Kawhi’s level as a basketball player, but it sounds like Kawhi never reached DJ’s current level of leadership when he was on the team.

r0drig0lac
01-15-2022, 06:47 AM
Untradeable

/thread

John B
01-15-2022, 08:55 AM
Earlier before the season, I entertained trading DJM for Simmons. But he has proven me wrong. I think with a better record, DJM is an AS easily. I think PATFO can see this, and need to find him a tier 1/2 player to tandem with. I really hope this coming trade deadline the Spurs will be busy packaging players. Thad, I think Poltle is available and maybe Derrick.

8sy21vd
01-15-2022, 09:43 AM
Murray is close to untradeable now because of his growth and great contract. Deserves tons of props for his development.

spurspl
01-15-2022, 09:55 AM
its more about opportunities. He has ball more often in his hands so PPG RPG etc goes up but efficiency still on the same poor level. Id say hes the same tier player as OG or Anfernee.

Chinook
01-15-2022, 10:13 AM
https://twitter.com/jeffgspurszone/status/1482214657112879104?s=21

https://twitter.com/jeffgspurszone/status/1482214153121116163?s=21

https://twitter.com/jeffgspurszone/status/1482205183069282307?s=21

Doesn’t matter if Spurs fans want to trade him or not. I don’t think the Spurs ever will. I don’t see how you go from leading team meetings to being traded. DJ is engrained into the Spurs’ culture now. It runs through his blood and he lives and breathes it.

DJ is not yet close to Kawhi’s level as a basketball player, but it sounds like Kawhi never reached DJ’s current level of leadership when he was on the team.

I've always said when Murray's play matches his attitude, he's more of a movement than a player. I've been telling RGMers for months now that the Spurs wouldn't trade him. Just yesterday, a poster there tried to use him as filler in a Poeltl trade. Bonkers. I just hope DJM is telling the truth and not pulling a Lillard where he's constantly snaking about while begging for praise for how "loyal" he is. The team needs solid ground, and he seems to be rewarding the trust the coaches and marketing team put in him. HEB needs to make time to come back and film some commercials with him, especially since it wouldn't surprise me to see one of the White/Johnson/Poeltl trio dealt this season.

I've been thinking about his contract recently. He's actually eligible for an extension and renegotiation this off-season. I wonder if he and the team can come to some agreement to give him some more money and lock him down. They could probably give him two years and $56 Million in new money while keeping the cap hits down in the $20M-$25M range. Maybe they'd have to go up higher into the $100 Million total for the life of the deal range. That would be really close to a two-year max extension but with the hits smoothed out. I don't know that he's worth THAT much, but with the way the cap is rising, they could probably get away with it without too much pain. The biggest hang-up to a renegotiation is that Murray and the Spurs signed their extension right before the deadline, and the team would need cap space available to give him the raise. Depending on how the off-season goes, the Spurs might not be able to hold space open for that long.

RC_Drunkford
01-15-2022, 08:01 PM
its more about opportunities. He has ball more often in his hands so PPG RPG etc goes up but efficiency still on the same poor level. Id say hes the same tier player as OG or Anfernee.

he's like 2nd in the NBA in AST/TO ratio. How is his efficiency still on the same level?

CGD
01-15-2022, 08:07 PM
he's like 2nd in the NBA in AST/TO ratio. How is his efficiency still on the same level?

Exactly. I think it won’t be long until we get some DJ for MIP buzz.

CGD
01-15-2022, 08:09 PM

Maybe last year, but he’s overtaken those guys this year easy. He’s probably closer to whatever tier Jaylen Brown is in.

MultiTroll
01-15-2022, 10:44 PM
By far the best Spur at creating his own shot.

Painful to watch the Spurs in crunch time if Murray is not creating a shot.

acoelho1
01-16-2022, 01:29 AM
He has made incredible strides in all facets of his game and i have been particularly impressed with his playmaking and finishing at the rim. This year has only confirmed what I’ve always thought about Murray that he is a star talent and he has been slowly putting it all together. Those pushing to trade him look pretty foolish now and his ceiling is still not fully realized. He’s entering the prime of his career and we have one of the most dynamic point guards in the league.

PhantomDashCam
01-16-2022, 02:23 AM
He has made incredible strides in all facets of his game and i have been particularly impressed with his playmaking and finishing at the rim. This year has only confirmed what I’ve always thought about Murray that he is a star talent and he has been slowly putting it all together. Those pushing to trade him look pretty foolish now and his ceiling is still not fully realized. He’s entering the prime of his career and we have one of the most dynamic point guards in the league.

This is interesting to think about.

I have always thought of the prime of a player is when the apex of a player’s athletic gifts converges with the skill and mental understanding of the game before a significant physical decline.

DJ still seems to be improving and I would think his prime is about 3 years away and could last for 4-5 years. That’s scary…

scott
01-16-2022, 01:04 PM
The question wasn't whether DJ was tradable, or if we should trade him... but what would it take for you to trade him.

A lot of us were pretty steadfast this offseason saying that DJ > Simmons, but some on those board were on board to send DJ and every draft pick we have for the next zillion years away from Simmons. This is more a gut check on what we think DJ's value is. I agree he is the centerpiece of our team that we need to build around.

KingKev
01-16-2022, 01:14 PM
The question wasn't whether DJ was tradable, or if we should trade him... but what would it take for you to trade him.

A lot of us were pretty steadfast this offseason saying that DJ > Simmons, but some on those board were on board to send DJ and every draft pick we have for the next zillion years away from Simmons. This is more a gut check on what we think DJ's value is. I agree he is the centerpiece of our team that we need to build around.

He needs more talent. The whole franchise player, centrepiece, captain etc etc debate is silly. Most teams now have 3-4 integral parts. DJ absolutely qualifies as one of those for the Spurs. White and Jak are our next best two players and are easily replaceable and should be upgraded.

talkspurs
01-16-2022, 01:20 PM

I think most of this board wanted to do a DJ for simmons trade. there were a few against it but most would have been in favor of a dj for bs trade and would have been willing to give up picks.

KingKev
01-16-2022, 02:12 PM
I think most of this board wanted to do a DJ for simmons trade. there were a few against it but most would have been in favor of a dj for bs trade and would have been willing to give up picks.

This board isn’t very bright so….

Mr. Body
01-16-2022, 03:33 PM

I wouldn't say most of this board, although there are a huge amount of fucking idiots who wanted Simmons. That thread still gets jerked out of the abyss for some reason.

TD 21
01-16-2022, 05:43 PM
:lol Murray being comparable to OG Anunoby. Agree on Sabonis though.

Murray is better, but Anunoby would have more trade value due to scarcity/demand of position/role and malleability.

I've always said when Murray's play matches his attitude, he's more of a movement than a player. I've been telling RGMers for months now that the Spurs wouldn't trade him. Just yesterday, a poster there tried to use him as filler in a Poeltl trade. Bonkers. I just hope DJM is telling the truth and not pulling a Lillard where he's constantly snaking about while begging for praise for how "loyal" he is. The team needs solid ground, and he seems to be rewarding the trust the coaches and marketing team put in him. HEB needs to make time to come back and film some commercials with him, especially since it wouldn't surprise me to see one of the White/Johnson/Poeltl trio dealt this season.

Great line. Agree that they need to start marketing/campaigning for him like a star. Treating him like he's one of their superstars/stars of yesteryear isn't going to cut it. It's not only about him, but beginning to send a message to the rest of the league that things are changing here in that regard.

KingKev
01-16-2022, 05:58 PM
Something else to consider is Murray can help recruit. Every summer he is balling with the best of the best at training camps, tourneys, exhibition games etc. I’m not saying he has super start recruitment ability but top players fuck with him heavy.

Seventyniner
01-16-2022, 10:35 PM
This is interesting to think about.

I have always thought of the prime of a player is when the apex of a player’s athletic gifts converges with the skill and mental understanding of the game before a significant physical decline.

DJ still seems to be improving and I would think his prime is about 3 years away and could last for 4-5 years. That’s scary…

I read a pretty good article several years ago that the average player's physical peak is around age 27-28 but their actual peak in terms of production is around age 30, when their experience outweighs the dropoff in athleticism.

Of course this isn't true for every player, but it's the ballpark I use, and would make it quite plausible that Murray could still be 4-5 years from his NBA peak.

I wouldn't expect his rate of improvement over that timeframe to match recent years, but there is still room for him to grow.

Spursfanfromafar
01-17-2022, 02:46 AM
Yes. Kyle Lowry took ages before becoming an All Star. Nash matured into a MVP late too. Murray and White (and IMo, Poeltl) are keepers. Murray can be an All Star soon, White should be All Defensive First team sometime soon while Poeltl can threaten All Defensive second team behind Gobert. Now it's for Johnson, Vassell and Primo to maximize their talents. Rest are expendable in my opinion.

tim_duncan_fan
01-17-2022, 02:00 PM
At this point, unless we think his play is about to suddenly fall off a cliff, I wouldn't like the optics of trading Murray unless it was a deal we just couldn't pass up.

The little mystique and je ne sais quoi we still have left after four years of looking like garbage is that we are a family that doesn't just toss people aside.

Dejounte
01-18-2022, 08:33 PM
Something else to consider is Murray can help recruit. Every summer he is balling with the best of the best at training camps, tourneys, exhibition games etc. I’m not saying he has super start recruitment ability but top players fuck with him heavy.

https://twitter.com/spurs/status/1483611560702619652?s=21

Paraphrasing…
“A lot of guys around the league are watching Dejounte and are going to want to play with him…”

KingKev
01-21-2022, 12:11 PM
https://twitter.com/spurs/status/1483611560702619652?s=21

Paraphrasing…
“A lot of guys around the league are watching Dejounte and are going to want to play with him…”

Can’t wait to see DJ with a better sidekick or two!!!

KingKev
01-21-2022, 12:59 PM
Better than kawhitter. :lol

Those two together could have been something special.

Das Texan
01-21-2022, 02:25 PM
If Primo or Vassell can evolve into a goto type scorer, Murray's game might really skyrocket another level or two.

scott
06-22-2022, 10:39 PM
I mean... I asked ya'll way back when. And it appears that Spurs have decided it's a Jrue Holiday type deal?

tbdog
06-22-2022, 11:06 PM
For those want to know the rumour

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/267494/Spurs-Open-To-Trading-Dejounte-Murray-For-Jrue-Holiday-Like-Asking-Price

T Park
06-22-2022, 11:09 PM
I mean... I asked ya'll way back when. And it appears that Spurs have decided it's a Jrue Holiday type deal?

Which is completely fair imo. Especially if you can get another team involved and send Collins somewhere else for more.

KingKev
06-22-2022, 11:32 PM
A Jrue Holiday like package would be tough to turn down if we are finally committed to a proper rebuild.

John B
06-23-2022, 12:24 AM
I’ve expressed before. I cooled off on DJ on that bench squabble with Pop. That to me was just not very Spursy. So I don’t mind if they cash in on Murray while his stock is high. Also I think he has reached his ceiling and has very little room left to improve. He avoids contacts attacking the rim, and settles for elbow shots. Basically to me he’s a borderline All-Star. I’d settle for Ivey and Collins by the end of the day, even Davis and Collins. I seriously think Davis has higher upsides and a more natural leader, just imo.

KingKev
06-23-2022, 12:30 AM
I’m going to take the other side of this whole debacle. The rumour saying it would take a Jrue Holiday like package to me signals how high the Spurs actually value DJ as few teams, if any would offer that.

Doubt DJ is going anywhere, not yet anyways.

RC_Drunkford
06-23-2022, 04:33 AM
This is most likely the Hawks calling the Spurs. San Antonio should do everything they can to make a 3-team deal with Indy work where Brogdon goes to the Hawks, Collins to the Spurs and something like J-Rich, McDermott, 25 and a future 2nd to Indy

Big Empty
06-23-2022, 08:33 AM
Id trade him to draft Ivey or Mathurin. Then I’d trade the 9th & Johnson for the 7th pick to draft Duren, then id trade Purtle and the 25th for Hornets pick and draft Sochan, Draft Ty Washington with the 20th.
Washington
Mathurin
Vassell
Sochan
Duren

a team full of rookie contracts all 19/20 years old. Ton of cap space for salary dump & picks, another year or two of lottery picks since this team wouldnt contend for a year or two. Thats what I woukd do.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-23-2022, 08:46 AM
For those want to know the rumour

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/267494/Spurs-Open-To-Trading-Dejounte-Murray-For-Jrue-Holiday-Like-Asking-Price

this makes it seem like the spurs are taking calls from teams interested in DJM, and telling them it would take ~3 first round picks and a decent player to make it happen

KingKev
06-23-2022, 08:53 AM
this makes it seem like the spurs are taking calls from teams interested in DJM, and telling them it would take ~3 first round picks and a decent player to make it happen

Which basically means DJ is VERY unlikely to get traded anytime soon.

SAGirl
06-23-2022, 09:08 AM
DJ will end up being traded. Not going to happen right now, and maybe not to the Hawks, but he has value around the league after his all star campaign. Specially if you believe he’s a late bloomer only scratching the surface of his potential you throw the kitchen sink in at the Spurs. For the Spurs they do right by a player that is growing tired of losing and the feeling will intensify as time goes on, while picking up a haul that will propel their rebuild forward.

Otherwise, the Spurs aren’t really doing anything to improve the teams talent in the short term. They aren’t going after notable FA, they aren’t pursuing trades to acquire established good players. They aren’t going to fix perceived holes, leaving Keldon at PF. They may sign a complementary veteran like McDermott to support their young guys and that guy won’t really move the needle and would just be a placeholder, which is hoy they’re shouldn’t sign any more guys like this and instead get in on trades like the one for Gordon Hayward. Then you flip him if you can rehab him, while he can be an overpriced placeholder for the team (but acquiring assets in the process).

Drafting Dieng doesn’t inspire confidence that this team will turn things around quickly either. He’s a project probably more so than Primo who could at least shoot well before mysteriously reworking his shot.

I am warming up to taking a haul for Murray bc Spurs aren’t really going to build around him.

MultiTroll
06-23-2022, 09:13 AM
Lamelo Ball

Ariel
06-23-2022, 09:40 AM
I'm not opposed to trading Dejounte, but we'd have to be talking multiple assets including young players and REALLY good picks, something like this year's no. 4 or multiple lightly protected future firsts + swaps from bad teams. If they are picks in the 20-30 range, to get an all star you need several tries, plus years of development to get to an all - star. Collins + a couple Atlanta firsts are simply not worth it, it'd have to include Sacramento's pick and I wouldn't give up much more than that, other than maybe filler.

scott
06-29-2022, 11:18 PM
I'd only trade him for a raft of draft picks. He's almost the only reason the team is competitive right now.

Well there you go.