PDA

View Full Version : Attendance

Mikesatx
01-15-2022, 11:46 PM
Is anyone else embarrassed by the fan turnout for the Spurs? I moved my family to Chicago a little over 7 years ago because of work so I catch all of the games in league pass. They aren’t going to compete for a title this year and probably not for a few years to come but the team plays their asses off and their fun to watch. The legacy that has been built by this franchise and the fact that the Spurs are all San Antonio has should still translate to sellouts and excitement around the team. If San Antonio is waiting for the Spurs to become a serious title contender before showing up to the arena when that day comes they might not be in San Antonio any more.

illusioNtEk
01-16-2022, 12:23 AM
Dude, we spurs fans are spoiled..you know this

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-16-2022, 12:23 AM
Is anyone else embarrassed by the fan turnout for the Spurs? I moved my family to Chicago a little over 7 years ago because of work so I catch all of the games in league pass. They aren’t going to compete for a title this year and probably not for a few years to come but the team plays their asses off and their fun to watch. The legacy that has been built by this franchise and the fact that the Spurs are all San Antonio has should still translate to sellouts and excitement around the team. If San Antonio is waiting for the Spurs to become a serious title contender before showing up to the arena when that day comes they might not be in San Antonio any more.

fuk yo attendance clown

baseline bum
01-16-2022, 12:40 AM

Yeah people are going to go jam pack an arena during a massive COVID wave to watch a lottery team.

Robz4000
01-16-2022, 01:10 AM
Yeah people are going to go jam pack an arena during a massive COVID wave to watch a lottery team.

This, plus most of the empty seats you see in the lower bowl are corporate-owned meaning a lot of the time they go unused.

HemisfairArena
01-16-2022, 01:41 AM
Popovich alienated half of the fan base with his liberal politics. What did you think would happen? Im actually suprised the attendance isnt even lower. I hope the Spurs move to another city...good riddance.

baseline bum
01-16-2022, 01:48 AM
Popovich alienated half of the fan base with his liberal politics. What did you think would happen? Im actually suprised the attendance isnt even lower. I hope the Spurs move to another city...good riddance.

LOL snowflake in meltdown

HemisfairArena
01-16-2022, 01:50 AM
LOL snowflake in meltdown

lmao...cant even come up with your own putdown, huh snowflake?

TDMVPDPOY
01-16-2022, 04:09 AM
half the fan base left when td retired, nobody is staying around for the popabitch tank commander

then u got the trash from GFC callifornia aka laker faggots migrating to texas SA...fkn laker games at SA is like a home game for them

exstatic
01-16-2022, 06:08 AM
Why aren’t you flying back from Chicago for each game? Fair weather fan…

Mikesatx
01-16-2022, 07:14 AM
We have caught them a couple of times in Milwaukee since we’ve been here. The plan is to move back at some point. Hopefully their still there. I don’t buy the COVID argument. Other arenas are full. Only thing I can figure is some towns support their teams all the time. Some only support a winner.

CGD
01-16-2022, 08:12 AM

Peter Holt, is that you again?

rascal
01-16-2022, 12:37 PM
The Spur fan base won't support a losing team anymore. They've been spoiled by past success. If too many losing seasons continue the Spurs will move out of town.
St. Louis Spurs.

John B
01-16-2022, 01:06 PM
Because there’s more important than going to the AT&T when the omicron is surging or is that a hoax? :wakeup

NASpurs
01-16-2022, 01:17 PM
Even when The Big 3 and then Kawhi were here, shit always looked empty except obviously in the playoffs.

BackHome
01-16-2022, 01:31 PM
It’s Called Covid/Omicron/Delta/China Virus and it’s surging right now Millions are coming down with it every DAY and soon we will surpass a million deaths in US.

BacktoBasics
01-16-2022, 02:06 PM
You flat earthers are the worst kind of stupid.

cool cat
01-16-2022, 02:24 PM
I was curious about this as well. We are doing very poorly for attendance bottom 3 or 4 in the league. http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance
My gut is saying its Covid related because in pre covid times we were averaging 98% - 100%. Covid combined with losing has hurt the attendance, I don't really see any evidence that Pop's politics are keeping people from the games. He has been shooting his mouth for years now and it didn't affect the attendance any.

buttsR4rebounding
01-16-2022, 02:43 PM

This. I canceled my season tickets when Popovich said Trump supporters are morons. As soon as he is gone I will be back. I was spending upwards of $20,000 a year between tickets, parking, refreshments. I can spend that money with companies that appreciate my biz instead of mocking me. For better or worse (mainly worse) Pop is now the face of the franchise. Before he wasn’t.

KingKev
01-16-2022, 02:53 PM
This. I canceled my season tickets when Popovich said Trump supporters are morons. As soon as he is gone I will be back. I was spending upwards of $20,000 a year between tickets, parking, refreshments. I can spend that money with companies that appreciate my biz instead of mocking me. For better or worse (mainly worse) Pop is now the face of the franchise. Before he wasn’t.

I sit centre right and appreciate ppl voting with their wallet but Pop really rubbed you the wrong way that much?

Chinook
01-16-2022, 02:56 PM
I hope Pop leaves and the next coach is even more vocal. Shit if they can find a trans Syrian refugee who frames all his answers through CRT while randomly citing Quran phrases to make their points, I'd be down for the lols if nothing else. Imagine letting some old dude chase you away from the things you love when you can just press the mute button instead. Just quivering, weak-sphinctered, subs, the lot of them.

D-Robinson 50 fan
01-16-2022, 03:11 PM
This, plus most of the empty seats you see in the lower bowl are corporate-owned meaning a lot of the time they go unused.

exactly

most of the seats have been sold and you can get them on sites like seat geek or stub hub but the folks that resale still try to charge like we are a contender still.

KobesAchilles
01-16-2022, 03:16 PM
They need to move the stadium tbh. It’s by literally nothing. There's a Valero and uhhhhh. Worst place for a stadium ever. It would take me an hour to get to the stadium due to traffic and shits not worth it for that shitty team. Imma support them here in Houston but man it’s sad to see. Tickets aren’t even expensive tbh

Im not even sure if it’s an Omnicron thing. We have so many people who do t wear masks or aren’t vaccinated and legit don’t give a fuck. I think the team just isn’t watchable any more. We should move back to the Alamodome. Those days were dope. Hemisphere was too small otherwise I’d say that is the perfect place.

BacktoBasics
01-16-2022, 03:34 PM
You’re a shitty fan. Rather people like you just stay away altogether. If your ability to support our team resides that strongly on other peoples political opinions then you’re the problem not the guy who has the balls and courage to speak his mind.

Get the fuck outta here pussy.

BacktoBasics
01-16-2022, 03:38 PM
I sit centre right and appreciate ppl voting with their wallet but Pop really rubbed you the wrong way that much?

These people have the internal fortitude of a 6 year old watching someone eat ice cream in front of them. They swear they’re against cancel culture and then immediately contradict themselves the moment someone exercises their freedom to an opinion that isn’t lock stock and inline with their absurd obsession of living their life predicated on an absolutist political opinion.

That guys a fucking loser.

spurs10
01-16-2022, 03:54 PM
Popovich alienated half of the fan base with his liberal politics. What did you think would happen? Im actually suprised the attendance isnt even lower. I hope the Spurs move to another city...good riddance. Pop was most outspoken about the POS in 2016-2020. You couldn't buy good season tickets during this period and we weren't exactly favoured to win a 'ship. Your comments here are ridiculous, but funny. I love seeing dumbasses like yourself triggered by Pop speaking common sense. :smokin

spurs10
01-16-2022, 03:59 PM
This. I canceled my season tickets when Popovich said Trump supporters are morons. As soon as he is gone I will be back. I was spending upwards of $20,000 a year between tickets, parking, refreshments. I can spend that money with companies that appreciate my biz instead of mocking me. For better or worse (mainly worse) Pop is now the face of the franchise. Before he wasn’t. Remember anywhere you go Pop is taunting you.

daslicer
01-16-2022, 04:20 PM
I was curious about this as well. We are doing very poorly for attendance bottom 3 or 4 in the league. http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance
My gut is saying its Covid related because in pre covid times we were averaging 98% - 100%. Covid combined with losing has hurt the attendance, I don't really see any evidence that Pop's politics are keeping people from the games. He has been shooting his mouth for years now and it didn't affect the attendance any.

It's important to pay close attention to what the Spurs have in common with the bottom 3-4 teams in attendance which is they are all lottery teams. Even the casual fan today is not going to waste money to see a losing team especially in these uncertain economic times. All the teams in the top 15 in home attendance except the Lakers and Blazers have winning records. The Lakers are only 1 game below .500 but the Blazers are a lottery team so I will give Portland fans credit for showing up, but they are the exception.

objective
01-16-2022, 04:23 PM
This was a big problem before covid

The arena is a dump in a wasteland. It's almost 20 years old now. None of the supposed revitalization of the area happened, but to be honest everyone with a clue at the time knew it was just a bs thing to claim,.

Not only is it old with nothing going on around it if you want to make an entire night of it, but it was pre-hd. With a successful team and a new arena, sure, you could get people for a decade.

But ever since hd broadcasts and cheap giant tvs, why bother going there at all, not like you can walk to a restaurant or bar or whatever before or after.

Factor in complacency from winning so much, the Kawhi betrayal and surrender, and big three retirement, of course no one wants to go.

Even if Pop was full maga, that might be a difference of a couple of hundred more people who would have cared enough, but the underlying problems are the same.

No way the Spurs are going to get public money for a new arena after the way covid will wreck budgets for a decade, plus the hatred for Pop, though he might be dead of old age in 5 years.

That's why they'll be moving. Getting the process started on a new arena with proposals and plans is a 5 year at least, and when it doesn't succeed, the money to move will far exceed anything to get in a 30 year old arena that's half full

They gone

daslicer
01-16-2022, 04:23 PM
I never understand fans who base showing up and supporting a team based on politics. Back in '03 I was against the war in Iraq and protested against it. I still remember David Robinson speaking out against the protestors and saying they were not real patriots and were traitors. I took offense to that comment, but I still rooted for the Spurs. If I had this type of mentality that these Trumpers have then I would have missed out on a title run. My belief is the Trumpers would still support the Spurs if they were title contenders even with Pop being anti-Trump.

tmtcsc
01-16-2022, 04:35 PM
The team's win / loss percentage is a reflection of their attendance. Who the hell wants to spend their discretionary income watching tanks roll around on the court?

CGD
01-16-2022, 06:06 PM
I agree with the location argument. The team could suck, but if they were downtown you could still build a really nice night around dinner/few drinks, seeing some young prospects, and hitting the bars after.

Id love to see something in SA sports wise similar to when I lived in Baltimore. The Os were awful, but it was a cheep ticket, the ballpark is still one of the best in all baseball, and the bars/night life around the Inner Harbor was walking distance if you wanted to leave in the 7th.

TDomination
01-16-2022, 06:14 PM
Because there’s more important than going to the AT&T when the omicron is surging or is that a hoax? :wakeup

yeah it seems like omicron has stopped all those people from attending this weekends NFL football games

virus or not, this type of attendance was bound to happen during rebuilding years.

even during our championship years our lazy fans would arrive until mid 2nd quarter to the game. i remember seeing so many empty seats down below during 2016 WCSF Game 5 against the Thunder. It pissed me off.

RC_Drunkford
01-16-2022, 06:32 PM
this is actually the best time for the Spurs to suck: during Covid where 100% attendance ain't possible anyway

TD 21
01-16-2022, 06:33 PM
yeah it seems like omicron has stopped all those people from attending this weekends NFL football games

virus or not, this type of attendance was bound to happen during rebuilding years.

even during our championship years our lazy fans would arrive until mid 2nd quarter to the game. i remember seeing so many empty seats down below during 2016 WCSF Game 5 against the Thunder. It pissed me off.

They're playoff games and the NFL has an inherent advantage because of way less games and generally one game per week played on Sunday, making them all seem like an event.

KobesAchilles
01-16-2022, 09:06 PM
I agree with the location argument. The team could suck, but if they were downtown you could still build a really nice night around dinner/few drinks, seeing some young prospects, and hitting the bars after.

Id love to see something in SA sports wise similar to when I lived in Baltimore. The Os were awful, but it was a cheep ticket, the ballpark is still one of the best in all baseball, and the bars/night life around the Inner Harbor was walking distance if you wanted to leave in the 7th.
This is why I stopped going to games in SA. It took forever to get there and then I had nothing to do before the game, so I couldn’t arrive early and go out nearby for a drink. And then when the game is over, once again you can’t do anything afterwards. The Alamodome was a short walk to the Henry B and the rest of the river walk. Lots of night life and just a fun vibe. The AT&T center just sucks

Adam Lambert
01-16-2022, 09:26 PM
For what it's worth, the Dallas Mavericks have one of the most popular young athletes in the city's history right now and I struggle to sell my lower level tickets even for below face value most nights.

I do think COVID is part of the issue.

spurs10
01-16-2022, 09:56 PM
For what it's worth, the Dallas Mavericks have one of the most popular young athletes in the city's history right now and I struggle to sell my lower level tickets even for below face value most nights.

I do think COVID is part of the issue. Yes, of course and I'm pretty sure Pop isn't coaching your team on his off nights.

baseline bum
01-16-2022, 10:05 PM
This is why I stopped going to games in SA. It took forever to get there and then I had nothing to do before the game, so I couldn’t arrive early and go out nearby for a drink. And then when the game is over, once again you can’t do anything afterwards. The Alamodome was a short walk to the Henry B and the rest of the river walk. Lots of night life and just a fun vibe. The AT&T center just sucks

After the game you could always go cruise New Braunfels Ave for hookers.

Seventyniner
01-16-2022, 10:42 PM
After the game you could always go cruise New Braunfels Ave for hookers.

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should."

baseline bum
01-16-2022, 11:16 PM
"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should."

Nah you definitely shouldn't, some ugly ass hoes there. Couldn't remember if Walters had an entrance to I-35 so went to New Braunfels Ave instead to get to 35 after a game when we were forced to go south on AT&T Parkway and every one of them looked like a 1/10 at best.

HemisfairArena
01-16-2022, 11:45 PM
I guess you guys are to young to remember Cherry Street.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-18-2022, 04:57 PM
Well, I'm hopeful they won't become the Las Vegas Spurs in a few short years.

Arcadian
01-19-2022, 02:39 AM
this is actually the best time for the Spurs to suck: during Covid where 100% attendance ain't possible anyway

Yeah that's true. And conversely, this is the worst time to have your golden era during a pandemic like the Milwaukee Bucks :lol

Arcadian
01-19-2022, 02:40 AM
Nobody wants to pay for tickets when you don't even know which players will be available every day. Half the team could be out with covid.

superbigtime
01-19-2022, 10:29 AM

Good riddance freak

libertarian4321
01-19-2022, 01:17 PM

Pop and his unhinged ranting sure hasn't helped. Remember, Republicans watch basketball, too.

As Pop has aged, and people realize he was never a brilliant coach, just a guy who lucked into being able to coach some of the greatest players in the history of the league, he has become and more cantankerous/ornery. In recent years, it's manifested itself in political rants targeted at half the team's fan base, whereas in the past, it had primarily been limited to being a jerk with sports reporters.

Is Pop's bad behavior the main reason people aren't coming? Probably not. The team sucking to the point of being nearly unwatchable and COVID are both likely bigger factors. But Pop is just making things worse.

When your business is already having trouble putting butts in the seats, having a team leader go out of his way to piss off half the fan base isn't a brilliant strategy.

Chinook
01-19-2022, 01:25 PM
"Half the fanbase" ... yeah. Not only are conservatives a minority in NBA attendance, but conservatives who tie their identity to Trump are an even smaller number. The number who would let Pop chase them away from their team is hopefully an even smaller number.

John Harbaugh is a "build the wall" religious conservative. Not only has that not prevented me from watching and attending Ravens games, but it doesn't even affect what I think of him as a coach. It's because I'm not a fucking snowflake and can emotionally handle knowing I won't agree with the people responsible for my entertainment.

Dex
01-19-2022, 01:26 PM
Maybe Republicans shouldn't be so thin skinned that someone saying something that goes against their precious "values" calls for a boycott.

Grow up and realize that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. We live in a world of differing opinions, and you ain't blessed with the almighty power to be right all the time.

The fact is that the team used to have very high standards, and now we aren't very good. That results in lower attendance. People who want to watch basketball will still go to the games.

Otherwise, no one gives a shit whether you are red, blue, purple, green, or whatever....stop acting like your choice to not buy tickets is some sort of political statement.

libertarian4321
01-19-2022, 01:42 PM

Pop has always been an insufferable jerk. He enjoys putting people down and embarrassing them. He talks about "getting over yourself," but he's clearly a guy who never has.

When the team was winning and had great/likeable players, the fans overlooked the fact that Pop was a jerk who treated people (reporters primarily) badly.

But when the team is awful, and he's attacking the fans themselves, it's not surprising that some will choose to spend their entertainment dollar elsewhere.

You don't need an MBA to realize that intentionally pissing off your customers is never a good business strategy.

We haven't been to a game since 2019. Mostly because the team sucks, but Pop's boorish behavior hasn't helped (and I'm not even a Trump supporter). It's more pleasant to watch on TV, where I can bail out quickly on (yet another) Spurs loss and switch to something more entertaining (e.g. Family Guy reruns).

libertarian4321
01-19-2022, 01:59 PM
"Half the fanbase" ... yeah. Not only are conservatives a minority in NBA attendance, but conservatives who tie their identity to Trump are an even smaller number. The number who would let Pop chase them away from their team is hopefully an even smaller number.

John Harbaugh is a "build the wall" religious conservative. Not only has that not prevented me from watching and attending Ravens games, but it doesn't even affect what I think of him as a coach. It's because I'm not a fucking snowflake and can emotionally handle knowing I won't agree with the people responsible for my entertainment.

I'm not all that familiar with John Harbaugh's statements, so correct me if I'm wrong here.

I suspect that, while Harbaugh has expressed his opinion, he has never personally attacked people he disagreed with? That is the difference. Pop doesn't just say "I support XYZ policy", he goes out of his way to personally attack those who disagree with "XYZ policy" in a nasty and aggressive fashion. That is far different from merely expressing his beliefs (which is fine).

I'm not a Trump supporter or a Republican/Conservative, but it seems that as the team gets worse, Pop gets more aggressively unpleasant. It's boorish behavior that would be off putting in the best of times, but at a time when the team sucks, I find it really annoying (as many others do). In many ways, Pop's bad behavior mimics Trump's bad behavior.

Maybe if Pop would focus on basketball once in a while, rather than coming up with political rants, the team might win a few games?

It's gotten so bad I've been catching myself switching off the Spurs and watching Mavs games, hoping to see Boban play.

tim_duncan_fan
01-19-2022, 02:15 PM
As if "conservatives" were ever supporting a team with a bunch of foreigners on it. Literally get the fuck out, as in leave. What's *actually* happened is your racist ass was putting up with a team of people from all over because you could bandwagon a good team. Now the team isn't good, so you can't bandwagon, and having no loyalty to the team, and no actual principles at all, really, you are on this BS on a sports forum because being a "conservative" is your entire sense of being whatsoever.

Sooo done with "conservatives" in general; hoops and otherwise.

koriwhat
01-19-2022, 02:23 PM
As if "conservatives" were ever supporting a team with a bunch of foreigners on it. Literally get the fuck out, as in leave. What's *actually* happened is your racist ass was putting up with a team of people from all over because you could bandwagon a good team. Now the team isn't good, so you can't bandwagon, and having no loyalty to the team, and no actual principles at all, really, you are on this BS on a sports forum because being a "conservative" is your entire sense of being whatsoever.

Sooo done with "conservatives" in general; hoops and otherwise.

Delusional! :lmao

The Truth #6
01-19-2022, 02:33 PM
Yeah, so attendance. It sucked in the Dark Ages between Gervin and Robinson. I’d be surprised if attendance was actually high right now.

tim_duncan_fan
01-19-2022, 02:35 PM
Yeah, so attendance. It sucked in the Dark Ages between Gervin and Robinson. I’d be surprised if attendance was actually high right now.

There is no way attendance is good at the moment.

The player most want to check out right now isn't gonna get much burn every night, if he is even with the A-team on a given night, for one thing.

Delusional! :lmao

"Hurr hurr triggered!"

Dumbasses.

koriwhat
01-19-2022, 02:41 PM
"Hurr hurr triggered!"

Dumbasses.

I'm triggered because you're delusional? LMAO I went to a SPURS game just a couple weeks ago as I watched them from row 12. Were you there supporting them or are you one of those big bad Conservatives you speak ill of?

elbamba1
01-19-2022, 02:43 PM
This. I used to take clients to games and they always wanted to leave at half time. Spent a lot of money on half attended games. Not only that but there are too many games and it becomes a hassle to even give tickets away. I had season tickets and would hand them out only to find out the people I gave them to didn't go. When you have 2-4 seats at $250/seat, it gets frustrating to see money flushed down the toilet. That is kind of what sucks, as a kid, I wanted season tickets so badly, now that I can afford to have them, I have no time to attend a game.

cool cat
01-19-2022, 04:18 PM
Pop and his unhinged ranting sure hasn't helped. Remember, Republicans watch basketball, too.

As Pop has aged, and people realize he was never a brilliant coach, just a guy who lucked into being able to coach some of the greatest players in the history of the league, he has become and more cantankerous/ornery. In recent years, it's manifested itself in political rants targeted at half the team's fan base, whereas in the past, it had primarily been limited to being a jerk with sports reporters.

Is Pop's bad behavior the main reason people aren't coming? Probably not. The team sucking to the point of being nearly unwatchable and COVID are both likely bigger factors. But Pop is just making things worse.

When your business is already having trouble putting butts in the seats, having a team leader go out of his way to piss off half the fan base isn't a brilliant strategy.

I don't see it. Pop could have never said a word about politics his whole career and I don't think we would have a larger attendance right now.

Chinook
01-19-2022, 11:00 PM
I'm not all that familiar with John Harbaugh's statements, so correct me if I'm wrong here.

I suspect that, while Harbaugh has expressed his opinion, he has never personally attacked people he disagreed with? That is the difference. Pop doesn't just say "I support XYZ policy", he goes out of his way to personally attack those who disagree with "XYZ policy" in a nasty and aggressive fashion. That is far different from merely expressing his beliefs (which is fine).

Eh, I'm not riding here. I get the sense that you're one of those "Keep politics away from my sports" types of people who thinks that people should be able to vote however they want without facing any sort of criticism for it in their lives. To sum up a long post, I really don't agree. I think the political views you hold inform your moral characters. I think there are threes genera of reasons why folks voted for Trump: They knew what he said/did and like it; they have been misled about what he's said/done and think he's better than the alternative (whom they also don't really know about); or they don't like Trump in general but have an extremely narrow view on what is important politically and voted for him because he honestly met those narrow interests better. In other words: Trump voters are either deplorable, ignorant or selfish. The best Trump supporters I've ever met still believe dumb shit like Biden and Harris being communists. It's a massive character flaw, but like with other character flaws, some Trump supporters can still be decent human beings around that.

Had Pop come out and laid it out like that, deeply criticizing people for the moral failing of being able to vote for Trump, I would have been okay with it. In my opinion, those folks should be ashamed, and just like with many uncomfortable truths people have had to confront over the years, I don't give anything approaching a shit about how offended the truth is for them. The major flaw in this country is that we've confused the freedom of speech for the belief that ideas have to be hermetically sealed away from real-world rebuttal. We keep tripping over our dicks as a society because every time we try to move the dick out of the way, someone runs up and says, "No, no, no. I believe that the dick should stay, despite all of the evidence, and that means you can't take a side in this debate by moving it. Put it back please." So had Pop actually come out and torn into Trump voters, I would've been all for it.

But he didn't do that. He criticized Trump and said it was scary that people voted for him despite how awful he is. I've spent a bit of time searching for Pop comments on Trump voters, and the closest I've seen is this:

He said he's "disgusted" that voters were willing to brush aside Trump's "xenophobic, homophobic, racist, misogynistic" language during his campaign."I live in that country where half of the people ignored all of that to elect someone," Popovich said. "That's the scariest part of the whole thing to me. It's got nothing to do with the environment and Obamacare, and all of the other stuff. We live in a country that ignored all of those values that we would hold our kids accountable for. They'd be grounded for years if they acted and said the things that have been said in that campaign by Donald Trump."
He also expressed confusion that evangelical Christians were willing to ignore Trump's hateful language. He added that he respects political figures like Republican Sens. Lindsey Graham and John McCain, as well as Republican Ohio Gov. John Kasich — all of whom he disagrees with politically — for not condoning Trump's actions.
Popovich reasoned that anyone can understand Trump's message while not forgiving his "fear mongering."
"It leaves me wondering where I've been living, and with whom I'm living," he said.
Popovich continued, blasting the postelection rhetoric and the way Trump's transition into office is being handled.
"The fact that people can just gloss that over, start talking about the transition team, and we're all going to be kumbaya now and try to make the country good without talking about any of those things. And now we see that he's already backing off of immigration and Obamacare and other things, so was it a big fake, which makes you feel it's even more disgusting and cynical that somebody would use that to get the base that fired up. To get elected. And what gets lost in the process are African-Americans, and Hispanics, and women, and the gay population, not to mention the eighth-grade developmental stage exhibited by him when he made fun of the handicapped person. I mean, come on. That's what a seventh grade, eighth grade bully does. And he was elected president of the United States. We would have scolded our kids. We would have had discussions until we were blue in the face trying to get them to understand these things. He is in charge of our country. That's disgusting."
According to the San Antonio News-Express, a reporter began to ask another question, and Popovich cut him off:
"I'm not done. One could go on and on. We didn't make this stuff up. He's angry at the media because they reported what he said and how he acted. That's ironic to me. It makes no sense. So that's my real fear, and that's what gives me so much pause and makes me feel so badly that the country is willing to be that intolerant and not understand the empathy that's necessary to understand other group's situations. I'm a rich white guy, and I'm sick to my stomach thinking about it. I can't imagine being a Muslim right now, or a woman, or an African American, a Hispanic, a handicapped person. How disenfranchised they might feel. And for anyone in those groups that voted for him, it's just beyond my comprehension how they ignore all of that. My final conclusion is, my big fear is — we are Rome."

https://www.businessinsider.com/gregg-popovich-trump-election-2016-11

So no. If that's why those people are offended, fuck them. They're not entitled to not have their vote questioned. These are bitch-made Karen and Karl types who think they can go into stores and bully employees because "The customer is always right." It turns out, they can take their ball and go home, realize no one wants to play with them before they come back and watch everyone else play on the other side of fence, hoping for someone to scrape a knee so they can feel justified in leaving in the first place. That folks are running into this thread five years after Pop supposedly alienated them to try to claim victory, as if boycotts take half-decades to work, is hilarious. Pop shouldn't give an inch to those fucks. They can come back after the millionth time some charlatan like Trump or McMann or those dudes who started Parler and the Freedom Phone swindles them and sit quietly as they come to realize that the world is going to keep changing around them and no promises of being "anti-woke" or "patriotic" will stop it.

KobesAchilles
01-19-2022, 11:39 PM
The thing is though that Hilary reeeeeeaaaally sucks. I ended up not voting at all bc both sucked but I can tell you that I’d rather vote Trump over her. Trump is too stupid and egotistical to not give you his real opinion for better or worse while Hilary knows the game and doesn’t really share her true views. That scares me more tbh

Also Biden sucks too. He seems nice enough as a person and acts more like a president than Trump but he carries zero respect from his own party nvm the republicans. As a nation we are fucked as long as these 2 parties are behaving like they are behaving. We need a real rehaul of government and it starts with a term limit on Senators. Get those mfers out after 2 terms. Also split up the wackos from each party and create 4 parties. Center right and left. Wacko right and left

Chinook
01-20-2022, 12:09 AM
I give people something of a pass for 2016, since I can believe they were tricked into thinking he was going to be a meh president despite his media troubles. It was still obvious he was horrible, but I don't think many of us truly believed how easily he could disrupt and derail the basic neoliberal flow of the country. Not 2020 though. I REALLY don't like Biden, but the lies people had to swallow to pretend like voting for Trump was the neutral choice were too much.

offset formation
01-20-2022, 02:27 AM

But you jackwad hypocrites *deserve*, even earn the contempt. Btw, what a fucking snowflake you tools are. The Holts have been nor only vocal supporters of past GOP governors and Presidents, they have the power to silence pop if they wanted to. I loathe everything about conservatives but you don't see me boycotting games over the Holts' repulsive political views that run contrary to most everything the players fight for off the court?

It's probably a good time to start figuring out how we can live amongst one another, including going to games of coaches we think insulted us, without getting the violent divorce some of the MAGA members of Congress are calling for. That said I'd like nothing more than to be rid of you morons and every single thing you guys want this country to look like.

offset formation
01-20-2022, 02:36 AM
I give people something of a pass for 2016, since I can believe they were tricked into thinking he was going to be a meh president despite his media troubles. It was still obvious he was horrible, but I don't think many of us truly believed how easily he could disrupt and derail the basic neoliberal flow of the country. Not 2020 though. I REALLY don't like Biden, but the lies people had to swallow to pretend like voting for Trump was the neutral choice were too much.

Biden is a waste of time. Imagine a party in 2020 running a candidate that ostensibly represents progressive values and ideas, saying something along the lines of, " I wouldn't even support nor sign a Medicare for all bill even if it passed congress and arrived on my desk."

The Democratic party is gonna get shellacked in 2022 and it's all so predictable as to why more than a year out. They're a bunch of corporatists that still do the bidding of their donors and yet scream about the next election being the most important election of our lifetimes,until the next election when they don't do shit to actually stop the ongoing theft of the lower and middle classes.

Rant over. Just can't take a second more of the Dems moderation in times when the other guys are also not only corporatists, but increasingly authoritarian and fascistic.

DAF86
01-20-2022, 03:23 AM
This isn't a problem that started this year, tbh. I remember having these convos about empty seats back when the Spurs were a 60 wins team. Supposedly all those empty seats we see on the front rows are all sold out but the rich folks that own them just don't show up. I don't know why they don't let the people from the upper seats sit on those so that it doesn't look so bad on TV, tbh.

daslicer
01-20-2022, 03:32 AM
Biden is a waste of time. Imagine a party in 2020 running a candidate that ostensibly represents progressive values and ideas, saying something along the lines of, " I wouldn't even support nor sign a Medicare for all bill even if it passed congress and arrived on my desk."

The Democratic party is gonna get shellacked in 2022 and it's all so predictable as to why more than a year out. They're a bunch of corporatists that still do the bidding of their donors and yet scream about the next election being the most important election of our lifetimes,until the next election when they don't do shit to actually stop the ongoing theft of the lower and middle classes.

Rant over. Just can't take a second more of the Dems moderation in times when the other guys are also not only corporatists, but increasingly authoritarian and fascistic.

The problem is the Democrats are not a true progressive party. In Europe they would be viewed as a right-wing party. The republicans are now pushed too far to the right that the Democrats by just being a little bit behind the republicans when it comes to being on the right are now portrayed as radical leftist when they are not. A lot of people stupidly only judge the two parties on social issues but not what really matters which is the economic issues. When it comes to economic issues both parties are nearly identical. Both don't believe in universal healthcare, increased taxation on the rich, anti-trust laws, regulations on banks and corporations, regulating trade on China, rent control and affordable housing, student loan forgiveness. Both parties are also owned by the same rich donors and corporations.

The only thing that really separates the two parties is the social issues and hence why both parties hammer these issues. It's why we are stuck in this perpetual cancel culture war.

HemisfairArena
01-20-2022, 05:03 AM

But yet here we are and the reality is the biggest morons in the country are the ones that voted for Biden. How do we give them a pass? Covid, Inflation, Border, Foreign Relations....all epic fails by the Biden Administration thus far and we're only a year in. God help us all.

ElNono
01-20-2022, 05:23 AM
I mean, we could easily be bitching about why the team moved to Seattle and how Bezos is really spending a lot of money on them... it might actually be next.

So I don't get the whole "I canceled my seasons tickets because Pop called me a snowflake" (well, well, well, how the turn tables). You might not even have a local team by the time Pop is gone.

But yeah, when the product was good, you could put up with Pop, how Holt was nickel and diming to avoid the lux tax, benching new players for a year, Matt Bonner, the shitty location of the AT&T, the hideous traffic on game night, the overpriced nachos with fake cheese, the robbery at gunpoint on the east side... we made that douchebag Derek Fisher cry, goddamit.

When the product is terrible, all the above comes to the fore, plus the talent is lacking, the moves underwhelming (lol @ some people getting excited coz we traded one scrub with another scrub AND a protected 2nd round pick in 2028), Brian Wrong, the pandemic, the Brandon inflation (he did that!), etc...

There's no marquee player, no rebel, no supremely talented player that just hasn't figure it out yet. We'll probably draft 3 more undersized guards in the next draft. Depressing all around, tbh...

ElNono
01-20-2022, 05:27 AM
But yet here we are and the reality is the biggest morons in the country are the ones that voted for Biden. How do we give them a pass? Covid, Inflation, Border, Foreign Relations....all epic fails by the Biden Administration thus far and we're only a year in. God help us all.

Your snowflake ass will be fine. Remember that you already survived a black president for 8 years too, and you thought it was the end of the world as well.

talkspurs
01-20-2022, 12:43 PM

But Biden said "I have probably outperformed what anybody thought would happen."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/19/politics/biden-news-conference-important-takeaways/index.html

talkspurs
01-20-2022, 12:49 PM
If all the people who keep saying I did not like either so I did not vote would vote for one of the other parties then maybe we could get to 3 parties. They might not get as much buzz but it could make an effect on future elections. Also if more people would vote for them then Other would start voteing for them as well. Whenever I dont like either of the two I will vote for one of the other parties. Yes I know my vote wont have much of an impact but I would rather vote for someone that I actually believe somewhat in.

KingKev
01-20-2022, 12:54 PM

LOL inflation isn’t Bidden. There is nothing he nor Trump can or could do. Inflation is hardly a monetary policy phenomnon at this point.

baseline bum
01-20-2022, 01:13 PM

LOL Biden's fault Trump's base won't get vaccinated.

talkspurs
01-20-2022, 01:40 PM
LOL inflation isn’t Bidden. There is nothing he nor Trump can or could do. Inflation is hardly a monetary policy phenomnon at this point.

I would say it is a result of the money that has been pumpped into the economy since the beginning of the pandemic. (not all bidens fault). With this increase in money it has increased demand which has caused prices to rise.

tim_duncan_fan
01-20-2022, 06:54 PM
If all the people who keep saying I did not like either so I did not vote would vote for one of the other parties then maybe we could get to 3 parties. They might not get as much buzz but it could make an effect on future elections. Also if more people would vote for them then Other would start voteing for them as well. Whenever I dont like either of the two I will vote for one of the other parties. Yes I know my vote wont have much of an impact but I would rather vote for someone that I actually believe somewhat in.

Sure, but that would mean asking USians to be intelligent and we have probably the dumbest populace of any half-developed nation.

ducks
01-20-2022, 10:42 PM
We have caught them a couple of times in Milwaukee since we’ve been here. The plan is to move back at some point. Hopefully their still there. I don’t buy the COVID argument. Other arenas are full. Only thing I can figure is some towns support their teams all the time. Some only support a winner.

Spurs fans want pop gone and his stupid politics
They want to get away from everything and watch sports but pop could fucking care less
Everything is always about him

Mikesatx
01-21-2022, 07:27 AM
After starting this it dawned on me that we all have different perspectives of the team. I really started following the team the year Robinson was drafted. I was around 14 at the time. Once he finished his naval commitment the team was exciting and provided hope that every year could be the year. I also remember during that time the talk of the team leaving. My memory of that time was the fan base desperately wanted them to stay. Move on to the Duncan era and the concern after his rookie deal was him leaving. Maybe there are a lot of fans here that are younger than me and didn’t go through or have the same perspective of worry in the 90’s. Watching the games today and seeing all the empty seats is sad to me. As for Pop, I don’t agree with his politics but I think he is a great coach. He was fortunate to have the players he has had but in my opinion he is deserving of the praise he gets from around the league.

Dex
01-21-2022, 10:16 AM
They want to get away from everything and watch sports but pop could fucking care less

Pop makes like 1 or 2 political statements a year. And most of that was because Trump was a raging douchebag while he was in office.

I love how all the MAGA hats have pivoted to blaming Biden for COVID when this shit started in Trump's final year and he literally pretended like it wasn't an issue.

So does COVID exist and is it bad (BLAME BIDEN), or is it not a problem because Trump said it's all a hoax (YAY TRUMP)? You can't have it both ways.

Is it really so hard for your poor little heart to withstand someone saying something you don't agree with?

Das Texan
01-21-2022, 10:29 AM
Reality is this:

Spurs were raising ticket prices, giving bad value with the on court product, with few 'cool things' for season ticket holders. They were spoiled into thinking fans would just show up after the Big 3 era.

Last year I had season tickets in the lower level, the Saddles and Spurs 'perk' was a fucking disasterous joke, and had slowly gotten worse during much of the 2010s in terms of offerings and all down there. And you got a separate entrance which was probably the slowest to go through the metal detectors with only the biggest jackasses in charge of that security station. The prices were going up every fucking season for a sub standard product. Other sports do things to entice season ticket holders or give them some type of 'perk' that is noticable or whatever, Spurs they basically said fuck that.

But ya lets just blame Popovich for it all. Allows one to really just not even see the real reason for things. Maybe things have improved, maybe they havent. Who knows. Most of their ticket reps are lazy fucks in the first place.

KingKev
01-21-2022, 10:37 AM
Should bring back Silver Dancers tbh

KobesAchilles
01-21-2022, 12:13 PM
Sure, but that would mean asking USians to be intelligent and we have probably the dumbest populace of any half-developed nation.
That's not even really true. There has never been a 3rd party candidate that is even close to overtaking the two main ones when it comes to presidency. This isn't local politics we are talking about. Shit I vote for all across the board on State and local levels. But we would need a hell of a lot more votes than just the people who say they didn't vote bc they hate both in order to get an actual 3rd party in consideration for President

Das Texan
01-21-2022, 12:14 PM
Should bring back Silver Dancers tbh

it wouldnt hurt. that energy squad is both stupid and annoying.

KingKev
01-21-2022, 12:18 PM
it wouldnt hurt. that energy squad is both stupid and annoying.

I’m in Toronto/Vancouver so watch most games via NBA League Pass which allows me the pleasure of watching the in between play entertainment and it’s usually pretty bad. Raptors games are a blast for that kind of stuff. Hardly have to be a basketball fan to enjoy it. Hope the drinks are cheap at the AT&T Centre atleast!

HemisfairArena
01-21-2022, 01:40 PM
Pop makes like 1 or 2 political statements a year. And most of that was because Trump was a raging douchebag while he was in office.

I love how all the MAGA hats have pivoted to blaming Biden for COVID when this shit started in Trump's final year and he literally pretended like it wasn't an issue.

So does COVID exist and is it bad (BLAME BIDEN), or is it not a problem because Trump said it's all a hoax (YAY TRUMP)? You can't have it both ways.

Is it really so hard for your poor little heart to withstand someone saying something you don't agree with?

Dex, you really should educate yourself before commenting on politics. No one is blaming Biden for Covid. Everyone is blaming Biden for lying about Covid when he said it would be contained and defeated within the 1st year of his presidency. Well guess what....not only is it not defeated but it has mutated into more dangerous strains and Moron in Chief doesnt know how to deal with it. And about Trump calling it a hoax...in the end Trump is the one that got us vaccinations with Operation Warpspeed. Phizer and Moderna vaccination were created under his watch. The failure Johnson and Johnson were created under Bidens watch. Sorry if the truth hurts you but Biden is a joke and the country was much better off under Trump. Notice how Popovich doesnt say anything about any of Bidens failures. Pop is a joke.

KingKev
01-21-2022, 01:47 PM
^ neither are very good /thread

Das Texan
01-21-2022, 02:16 PM
I’m in Toronto/Vancouver so watch most games via NBA League Pass which allows me the pleasure of watching the in between play entertainment and it’s usually pretty bad. Raptors games are a blast for that kind of stuff. Hardly have to be a basketball fan to enjoy it. Hope the drinks are cheap at the AT&T Centre atleast!

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

daslicer
01-21-2022, 02:59 PM
Reality is this:

Spurs were raising ticket prices, giving bad value with the on court product, with few 'cool things' for season ticket holders. They were spoiled into thinking fans would just show up after the Big 3 era.

Last year I had season tickets in the lower level, the Saddles and Spurs 'perk' was a fucking disasterous joke, and had slowly gotten worse during much of the 2010s in terms of offerings and all down there. And you got a separate entrance which was probably the slowest to go through the metal detectors with only the biggest jackasses in charge of that security station. The prices were going up every fucking season for a sub standard product. Other sports do things to entice season ticket holders or give them some type of 'perk' that is noticable or whatever, Spurs they basically said fuck that.

But ya lets just blame Popovich for it all. Allows one to really just not even see the real reason for things. Maybe things have improved, maybe they havent. Who knows. Most of their ticket reps are lazy fucks in the first place.

What you described is really a league epidemic. I live in Charlotte and for years up until the late 2010's I could get courtside tickets around 150-190 dollars. It was a great deal since the Hornets were trash for a long time. Things started to change around 2017 when I was looking for tickets to go to the Hornet games and I saw courtside jump to 400 dollars and keep in mind the Hornets were a crappy lottery team. Even when they played the bad teams, the tickets were that expensive. I haven't bought tickets since then and don't even plan to buy them now even with them having a better product on the court with Lamelo.

You can't raise tickets to astronomically high prices in small markets and expect to have good attendance. That only works in the big markets such as NYC, LA, San Francisco.

talkspurs
01-21-2022, 03:05 PM
That's not even really true. There has never been a 3rd party candidate that is even close to overtaking the two main ones when it comes to presidency. This isn't local politics we are talking about. Shit I vote for all across the board on State and local levels. But we would need a hell of a lot more votes than just the people who say they didn't vote bc they hate both in order to get an actual 3rd party in consideration for President

If your thinking it is going to happen in 1 year that is the problem. It will take time to grow. as it gets closer they get more time which will bring in more votes. Parties have changed in the past and they can again but if people keep thinking you can only vote for these 2 people then it will not change.

KobesAchilles
01-21-2022, 05:19 PM
If your thinking it is going to happen in 1 year that is the problem. It will take time to grow. as it gets closer they get more time which will bring in more votes. Parties have changed in the past and they can again but if people keep thinking you can only vote for these 2 people then it will not change.
Once again, not when it comes to president. You are thinking at a local level. What candidate was there to vote for besides Trump or Hilary? And if I have to wait for it to happen then I’m not the issue am I? That’s another lie. Party’s changed with Teddy and that’s the last time I can think of.

BacktoBasics
01-21-2022, 05:45 PM

We want you gone more than anyone. You’re a pos human being and god awful fan. No one will miss you.

talkspurs
01-21-2022, 05:46 PM
Once again, not when it comes to president. You are thinking at a local level. What candidate was there to vote for besides Trump or Hilary? And if I have to wait for it to happen then I’m not the issue am I? That’s another lie. Party’s changed with Teddy and that’s the last time I can think of.

Jo Jo (jorgenson?) and whoever ran for the green party. And yes you as well as others can make a difference. so if you are not willing to then you are a problem.

KobesAchilles
01-21-2022, 08:53 PM
Jo Jo (jorgenson?) and whoever ran for the green party. And yes you as well as others can make a difference. so if you are not willing to then you are a problem.
Buncha horseshit. Idk what fantasy world you are living in but it isn’t reality :lol

I’m not going to get in the specifics on what the two parties do to stay in power but it’s a shitload of stuff. I will just say you are a naive person and leave it at that.

Also your premise to begin with is wrong from the start since it stands on the basis that everyone who didn’t vote will end up liking the same 3rd party person which just doesn’t seem very likely to begin with. I could vote green, someone could vote someone else, etc etc. Then you have these peoples votes split between 3 other parties and literally nothing changes when it comes to presidential voting. Local voting sure but it’s majority rules on el presidente

talkspurs
01-21-2022, 09:16 PM
Buncha horseshit. Idk what fantasy world you are living in but it isn’t reality :lol

I’m not going to get in the specifics on what the two parties do to stay in power but it’s a shitload of stuff. I will just say you are a naive person and leave it at that.

Also your premise to begin with is wrong from the start since it stands on the basis that everyone who didn’t vote will end up liking the same 3rd party person which just doesn’t seem very likely to begin with. I could vote green, someone could vote someone else, etc etc. Then you have these peoples votes split between 3 other parties and literally nothing changes when it comes to presidential voting. Local voting sure but it’s majority rules on el presidente

I find it interesting that you ask for who else could have been voted for and then when I give them to you try to spin it to me not knowing. I actually do know some of the things the parties do to stay in power. One is certain states only allowing them to have primary. Another is working to convince people that at the national election that you can only vote for those 2 parties.

My premise was never that everyone would vote for the same party. If some of them would vote it would make the third look more vialble which then would steal some from from each party. and then more the year after that. I have talked to many people that did not vote because of this or voted for one they did not like because they did not want to vote 3rd party as it was usless.

tim_duncan_fan
01-21-2022, 10:08 PM

True, true, we would need people who don't vote.

No way the U.S. populace has the wherewithal to push a third way forward without intensive marketing.

Anyway, the news today and the last couple days has been interesting lol

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-22-2022, 08:05 AM
Don't blame me. I voted for the green M&M.