PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the L, Carmelo

genghisrex
04-24-2003, 04:27 PM
espn.go.com/ncb/news/2003/0424/1544043.html (http://espn.go.com/ncb/news/2003/0424/1544043.html)

Thursday, April 24

Anthony leaving Syracuse after one season

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Syracuse freshman Carmelo Anthony, who led the Orangemen to their first national championship, will make himself eligible for the NBA draft.

Anthony said Thursday he will forego his final three years at Syracuse to play in the NBA.

Anthony delayed making the decision until after the season, preferring to focus on winning the national title.

He led the Orangemen in scoring, averaging 22 points, and broke Lawrence Moten's freshman scoring record and Derrick Coleman's freshman rebounding mark.

Anthony had a career-best 33 points and pulled down 14 rebounds in Syracuse's victory over Texas in the national semifinals in New Orleans earlier this month. He scored 20 points as Syracuse beat Kansas in the title game and was named Most Outstanding Player of the Final Four -- just the third freshman to earn that honor.

"I'm here in front of you today to announce that I will not be coming back next year," Anthony said at a news conference. "I will be moving on, moving on to the pros."

Anthony said he reached his decision after talking with his mother and coach Jim Boeheim.

"It was a tough decision for me to make," said Anthony, who began crying as he spoke.

Boeheim agreed with Anthony's decision and said his star player is ready for the next level.

"This is a very happy day for Syracuse basketball, and a sad one, too," Boeheim said.

"The guy sitting here has done more for Syracuse basketball than any player we've ever recruited or that's ever played here. To lead his team to a national championship as a freshman is truly a historic moment in college basketball. I'm very thankful that he was here with us."

The NBA draft is scheduled for June 25. The NBA's deadline for underclassmen to make themselves eligible for the draft is May 12. Anthony is expected to be a lottery pick. The draft lottery will held May 22.

Anthony is the first Syracuse underclassman to declare early for the NBA since Billy Owens opted not to return for his senior season in 1991. Owens was the No. 3 pick that year. All-America guard Pearl Washington jumped to the NBA after his junior season in 1986 and was the No. 13 pick.

SequSpur
04-24-2003, 04:29 PM
OMG!

KoriEllis
04-24-2003, 04:30 PM
Wow, I thought he'd stay one more year at Syracuse. Interesting.

Would you take him before Darko?

DuffMcCartney
04-24-2003, 04:30 PM
I still think he should have stayed and finished his college ball.

timvp
04-24-2003, 04:31 PM
Carmelo is going to be a great one. He has a lot of T-Mac in him.

P.S.

Ghost, is he better than the last Caramello?

genghisrex
04-24-2003, 04:35 PM
Anthony doesn't have anything more to gain or prove in college. He's as NBA ready as anyone else, IMO. He'll start for whatever lotto team drafts him so he'll be learning quickly from experience, not wasting away on the bench.

picnroll
04-24-2003, 04:39 PM
Hypothetically, if Kidd were signed would you trade Parker for the rights to draft Carmelo?

timvp
04-24-2003, 04:42 PM
^^^ It would be hard to turn down that trade.

I said right after the Championship that there was no way in hell Carmelo goes back to 'Cuse and people didn't believe.

Believe.

scott
04-24-2003, 06:00 PM
Good for Carmello. He's got those "mad skillz".

He needs to loose the dreds though- IMO, they make him look like a woman.

IcemanCometh
04-24-2003, 06:40 PM
hes not nearly as athletic as mcgrady.

he wanted to stay in college but as a lock to be a top 3 pick everyone told him he had to go.

baseline bum
04-24-2003, 06:51 PM
Hypothetically, if Kidd were signed would you trade Parker for the rights to draft Carmelo?

How long does it take for a rabbit to get fucked? I'd do that trade faster.

scott
04-24-2003, 06:55 PM
And maybe we can trade Manu for the rights to LeBron too.

picnroll
04-24-2003, 07:07 PM
And maybe we can trade Manu for the rights to LeBron too.

I don't know if that trade would be doable or desirable but:

1) Parker is mentioned as a strong candidate for MIP in his second year at 20 playing a position most experts takes a minimum of three years to get a handle on.

2) In general a player with potential for stellar PG skills is harder to find and more valuable than a SF.

3) Some have said that if TJ Ford comes out he could go as high as three. Is there any reason to believe a 20 yo college play whose shown potential is more valuable than a 20 yo NBA PG who's already shwon it in The Show.

So Scott where is this trade so unrealistic, particularly if a team needing a PG had the rights to Carmelo? Frankly I don't know who if either team would be getting the short end of the stick. Could well be the Spurs.

scott
04-24-2003, 09:23 PM
I have no idea, I was just trying to be a dick.

timvp
04-24-2003, 09:30 PM
Carmelo reminds me of McGrady and a little bit of Pippen.

He won't be that great, but he'll be great one day.

MI21
04-25-2003, 02:41 AM
It is highly possible that Detroit could get Carmelo, which gives them something they need in an athletic scorer.

Imagine this lineup out East.

PG - Billups
SG - Hamilton
SF- Anthony
PF - Robinson
C - Wallace

scott
04-25-2003, 02:44 AM
Forgive my ignorance. How would Detriot get him? Do they have someone's pick?

KoriEllis
04-25-2003, 02:48 AM
Detroit has the Grizzlies pick.

scott
04-25-2003, 02:50 AM
What deal is that a part of?

KoriEllis
04-25-2003, 02:51 AM
Otis Thorpe.

scott
Wow- that sucks for the Griz.

Sucks hard.

MI21
Detroit get Memphis' pick unless it is a #1.

It was part of the Otis Thorpe deal way back in VANCOUVER.