PDA

View Full Version : Frye starts strong

ducks
11-28-2005, 09:57 AM
Frye starts strong

Channing Frye made his first of what should be many starts yesterday.
The rookie power forward had 21points and 11 rebounds in his first career start and will force Larry Brown to make a tough decision when Eddy Curry returns from a calf injury.

Brown can continue starting Antonio Davis and Curry, or he may decide to start Frye, possibly in place of Davis. Frye has been the Knicks' most consistent big man and is their second-leading scorer.

"I had the jitters in the beginning," Frye said. "But I felt like I had to stay calm and do the right things for the team and hit my open shots."

THREE'S A CROWD: Brown found success using a three-guard lineup - Stephon Marbury, Jamal Crawford and Nate Robinson - for much of the second half, which left Quentin Richardson as the odd man out.

Richardson was benched for the fourth quarter and overtime and failed to score in 19 minutes. He was 0-for-5.

PENNY SPENT: Penny Hardaway's days of being an active member of the Knicks may be over. The team elected not to activate Hardaway even though he practiced on Friday and it had a roster spot available. With Curry sidelined, the Knicks dressed 11 players.

Isiah Thomas is trying to package Hardaway in a trade because Hardaway is in the last year of his contract.

Hardaway, Matt Barnes and Jerome James all were ruled inactive. Curry, who missed his second game, said he may be available tomorrow against Miami but that he will definitely play against his former team, Chicago, on Wednesday.

CHRIS CRANKY: Chris Webber of the Sixers was not thrilled that he was subbed out for defense twice in the final two minutes of regulation.

At one point, Webber turned to assistant coach John Kuester and growled: "Don't ever take me out in the fourth quarter without checking first."

Webber finished with 19 points and nine rebounds in 47 minutes, but has trouble moving laterally. Webber had the same microfracture knee surgery that led to Allan Houston's early retirement.

Malik Rose scored a season-high 13 points and frustrated Webber defensively.

DOUBLE DOWN: The Knicks, down 16 in the third quarter, overcame a double-digit deficit to win for the first time this season. ... The Knicks' bench outscored Philly's 44-15. ...Thomas' mother, Mary, attended yesterday's game.

Prefontaine
11-30-2005, 08:46 PM
imo hes playing better than bogut, and is only 2nd among rookies to chris paul

JMarkJohns
11-30-2005, 10:59 PM
He's still a bit inconsistant. Last game, around 12 points, 3 rebounds on poor shooting. Tonight, 21 points, 8/9 rebounds on very good shooting.

ducks
12-01-2005, 09:04 PM
I trade anyone other then bowen,tp,duncan and manu for him

JMarkJohns
12-01-2005, 09:43 PM
My guess is you'd trade Bowen for him as well. Bowen is a fine player, but 18-point, 8-rebound per game bigs who have great athleticism and actual basketball IQ are very, very, VERY hard to come by.

Bowen is up there in age and Frye is a youngin' at 23.

With Timmy tutoring him ala Robinson/Duncan nearly a decade earlier, you'd be in solid shape up front and only really need to fill a position that isn't in high demand on free agent markets. You can find any hard working player to add some hustle and defense to a lineup for 20 minutes.

I understand Bowen's importance to the Spurs, but you've got a gluttony of wings and Manu can easily fill the void with Finley, Barry and Van Exel platooning at SG and/or backup SF.

ducks
12-01-2005, 11:28 PM
true
I would take him
I wanted spurs to draft him bad
but thomas is stupid so who knows

JMarkJohns
12-01-2005, 11:48 PM
Thomas is stupid as an exec, but his drafts have been very good.

JMarkJohns
12-02-2005, 01:15 AM
I'm not certain, and I'm not sure how to find out, but I believe Thomas was the exec that drafted Daman Stoudamire, Marcus Camby and Tracy McGrady in Toronto (1995 - 1997) and now with the Knicks has prized Ariza in the 2nd Round, Frye in the Lottory, Nate in the 20's and David Lee end of the 1st Round.

He Should stick to drafting. His team on the draft alone would be a damn good playoff team.

I know he drafted Daman and Marcus. Not sure on McGrady in Toronto.

midgetonadonkey
12-02-2005, 01:56 AM
The Spurs should offer Thomas the biggest contract we have and a second round pick for him and he would bite. He is stupid like that.