PDA

View Full Version : No Deal Imminent

ducks
11-28-2005, 09:59 AM
Camby's playing streak ends
By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
November 26, 2005

Marcus Camby's run at his personal ironman streak will have to wait.

In 10 NBA seasons, the most games the often-injured Denver Nuggets center has played in a row is 28, as a rookie in 1996-97. He reached 13 this season before sitting out a 105-95 win against the Los Angeles Clippers on Friday because of a right tibia contusion.

"It was bothering me for like two weeks, but I was playing through it," said Camby, who doesn't think averaging 34.7 minutes, on pace to be a career most, contributed to the injury. "Then I got kicked in the third quarter of (Wednesday's) Detroit game. It was like really sore. I couldn't put too much weight on it (Thursday) and (Friday) morning."

Camby said the Nuggets feared he might have a stress fracture, so he went for X-rays Friday morning. The X-rays were negative.

"I really didn't want to miss any games, the way we've been playing and how much the team relies on me on the defensive end," he said. "Hopefully, this doesn't keep me out too long. I have a couple of days (to rest) and try to shoot for Monday (when the Nuggets face New Jersey at the Pepsi Center)."

Camby is playing the best ball of his career. He is averaging 16.8 points, an NBA-most 13.9 rebounds, and 3.31 blocked shots, second in the league.

Camby is listed as day-to-day. The Nuggets hope he doesn't miss multiple games.

"That would be really tough," said forward Eduardo Najera. "He's playing unbelievable. He's the best player on the team right now."

Starting in place of Camby was Francisco Elson, who had a scare in the Detroit game.

Late in the 114-89 loss, Elson was inadvertently hit in the face on a drive by Pistons guard Carlos Delfino and suffered a mild concussion.

After going to the bench, Elson fainted. But he soon came to and walked to the locker room with help.

"I can't remember," Elson said of the details. "I remember him driving and that was it. It just went black until I went to the bench and they picked me up. It was weird."

Elson said he had a "terrible headache" during Friday's game. In 23 minutes, he grabbed three rebounds but didn't score.

NO DEAL IMMINENT: Karl does not foresee Denver trading Najera to Portland for troubled swingman Ruben Patterson. TNT reported Thursday the Nuggets have discussed such a deal with the Trail Blazers.
"I don't think it will happen," Karl said. "It might be a de-energizer. Right now, we've got to stay strong and figure it out. I love Ruben as a basketball player. But, if he doesn't get minutes, he doesn't get the opportunity, I'm not sure (where he might). We need a bigger body."

The Trail Blazers sent Patterson home for the final six games of an ongoing seven-game trip after he cursed at coach Nate McMillan during a game Sunday at New York regarding lack of playing time. Patterson is averaging 7.0 points in 19.3 minutes.

If the Trail Blazers can't trade him, there is talk they might buy out his contract. He is making $6.4 million this season and $6.8 million next season in the final year of a six-year, $34 million deal. It remains to be seen whether the Nuggets might have interest then.

"That's something I can't control," Najera said of his name being linked to a report about a possible trade. "I don't even want to think about it. It makes you worry if you think about it."

ETC.: While in Italy last week, Nuggets assistant general manager David Fredman talked to Benetton Treviso officials about the team possibly coming to Denver for a preseason game, most likely in 2007. "What we want to do is get another (NBA) team involved, so they could play back-to-back games," Fredman said. "Their season will already have started." . . . Camby is seeking to become the fifth player to lead the NBA in rebounding and blocked shots in the same season since the latter became an official statistic in 1973-74. "I don't worry about individual stuff," Camby said. "It doesn't matter to me as long as we win the championship." Those who have pulled off such an NBA double are Kareem Abdul Jabbar (1975-76), Bill Walton (1976-77), Hakeem Olajuwon (1989-90) and Ben Wallace (2001-02). . . Karl said the Nuggets "definitely had interest" in Sacramento free-agent guard Cuttino Mobley last summer before he signed a five-year, $42 million deal with the Clippers. The Kings wanted Nene for Mobley in a sign-and-trade, but the Nuggets balked.