PDA

View Full Version : Lions Fire Mooch

sa_butta
11-28-2005, 12:32 PM
Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Detroit Lions have fired head coach Steve Mariucci. It was widely speculated Mariucci would be let go by the team following their embarrassing loss to the Atlanta Falcons on Thanksgiving Day. The team has dropped four of their last five games and Mariucci was 15-28 during his two-plus years with the Lions. He has two more seasons left on his five-year, $25 million contract.

Steve Mariucci (4-7, Detroit): Maybe friend Tom Izzo can get Mooch a job at Michigan State. Another absolutely crazy rumor: The Packers could be interested.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051128/SPORTS01/511280378/1049/SPORTS01

Duff McCartney
11-28-2005, 06:04 PM
The firing of Mooch is solely on the shoulders of Joey Harrington. If Harrington could even live up to half the hype of being drafted number 3 then the Lions would be over .500

I figured Harrington would be traded before Detroit would have fired Mariucci.

Brutalis
11-28-2005, 06:12 PM
No shit.

Just another classic example of a team failing a coach, and the coach getting the axe for it.

Fuck the Lions. Always known for failure and now I see why.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
11-28-2005, 07:28 PM
The firing of Mooch is solely on the shoulders of Joey Harrington. If Harrington could even live up to half the hype of being drafted number 3 then the Lions would be over .500

Yeah, Garcia lit it up when he was in there, eh?

His game planning and game management were atrocious. Take ATL last Thursday. ATL had been torn up by a dinged up Carnell and Samkon Gado rushing the ball the previous two weeks. What does Mooch do? Decides he wants to air it out in the first half even after KJ had 32 yards on 4 carries, his only carries in the entire first half. BTW, KJ only has had 28 carries in the last 4 games.

Great coach my ass...

Despot
11-28-2005, 07:56 PM

Ultimately the responsibility does fall back on the coach, it's his job to do the best he can with what he has. Even at that, the talent is definitely there, they should have been tearing it up on offense this year, If the players aren't doing it, it is his fault. Not to mention, that is just the way the world of sports works, I'm shocked ownership was this patient with him.

exstatic
11-28-2005, 08:08 PM
Mooch was a better coach than Millen was a GM, but heirarchies are like that sometimes.

theMUHMEshow
11-28-2005, 08:55 PM
I would like you guys that think Mooch is such a great coach to have sit through the crap that us in Detroit have had to sit through the past 3 years. The guy is a joke.

His idiocy of not using KJ is a prime example why he should not be coaching in the NFL