PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated Coach exposed after their Gravy Train left,,,Popovich or Belicheck?

HemisfairArena
01-29-2022, 05:02 AM
Obviously both have been exposed as frauds. Belicheck is a joke without Brady and look at the Spurs now when Duncan isnt carrying Popovich. It is a close race,,,TBH

Arcadian
01-29-2022, 05:34 AM
It just goes to show that coaches always depend on their players. The players on the court/field always deserve all the credit, and coaches just have to not fuck it up.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-29-2022, 06:35 AM
Jackson tbh.

exstatic
01-29-2022, 07:25 AM
Jackson tbh.

Jackson not only needed MJ and Kobe, he was completely lost without Tex Winter sitting on the bench next to him.

widowmaker
01-29-2022, 08:57 AM
Obviously both have been exposed as frauds. Belicheck is a joke without Brady and look at the Spurs now when Duncan isnt carrying Popovich. It is a close race,,,TBH

To answer your question Troll, I would say its phill jackson.

Chinook
01-29-2022, 09:16 AM
I would say it's Belichek. Without Brady, Bill got exposed as just being a good coach who needed his best player to constantly take discounts to maintain his team's dominance. Pop, on the other hand, found his political conscience once Tim left, showing us all that there's more to him (and to the rest of us) beyond just a game. Say what you want about whatever he's doing on the court nowadays, but Pop being the moral compass of the American people is far more important than whatever wins or losses his team has. Unless Belichek learns to speak out against the injustice in our society, I doubt he'll have the same post-star renaissance that Pop did.

bluebellmaniac
01-29-2022, 10:01 AM
Boom!

I would say it's Belichek. Without Brady, Bill got exposed as just being a good coach who needed his best player to constantly take discounts to maintain his team's dominance. Pop, on the other hand, found his political conscience once Tim left, showing us all that there's more to him (and to the rest of us) beyond just a game. Say what you want about whatever he's doing on the court nowadays, but Pop being the moral compass of the American people is far more important than whatever wins or losses his team has. Unless Belichek learns to speak out against the injustice in our society, I doubt he'll have the same post-star renaissance that Pop did.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-29-2022, 10:10 AM
OP doesn't wanna go back to the sideline, and talk to the ollll ball coach ...

efter dettt one!

BacktoBasics
01-29-2022, 11:02 AM
I'm no pats fan but he took a rookie QB on a gutted team to the playoffs

cjw
01-29-2022, 11:13 AM
I'm no pats fan but he took a rookie QB on a gutted team to the playoffs

Let’s chill on celebrating a playoff appearance where they got run off the field. I know you can only beat who is on your schedule, but their marquee wins were the Titans missing literally all their skill position players, and the Bills in terrible weather.

This is after years of the Patriots playing in the worst division in football, paving a path to an easier seed. While the Spurs played in the tougher conference and arguably the toughest division.

Basketball is a LOT more dependent on stars to even make the postseason, and the biggest one Pop had literally quit. And he managed to keep the team from being an embarrassment after that - made playoffs and took Denver to seven, competitive in the bubble, and play-in last year. And this year, they have an even point differential despite many pundits having them as one of the worst teams in the league (they’ll be in mix for play-in again).

This is not to detract from what BB has done. He’s done great at keeping a competitive product on the field. Though football is easier to backfill in the draft with roster turnover, while the Spurs only recently have started to benefit from lottery picks and not even ones in the single digits.

SupremeGuy
01-29-2022, 11:20 AM
I would say it's Belichek. Without Brady, Bill got exposed as just being a good coach who needed his best player to constantly take discounts to maintain his team's dominance. Pop, on the other hand, found his political conscience once Tim left, showing us all that there's more to him (and to the rest of us) beyond just a game. Say what you want about whatever he's doing on the court nowadays, but Pop being the moral compass of the American people is far more important than whatever wins or losses his team has. Unless Belichek learns to speak out against the injustice in our society, I doubt he'll have the same post-star renaissance that Pop did.Fify.

John B
01-29-2022, 11:27 AM
:ban::ban::ban:

pad300
01-29-2022, 12:02 PM
...Pop being the moral compass of the American people...

If you're turning to a basketball coach to be the "moral compass of the American people", no wonder the world is getting F'ed up.

Leetonidas
01-29-2022, 12:14 PM
Lol OP is another snowflake that got his wittle feelings hurt because of Pop :lmao

Dverde
01-29-2022, 12:43 PM
I don’t think Belicheck is taking out Tom Brady for Boris Diaw in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl.

GAustex
01-29-2022, 01:28 PM
Hard to criticize GOAT coattail rider up to 2014 or so. Since then well he is a joke. Getting played my Morris and ending up with DeMarre Carroll.
LOfickingL

daslicer
01-29-2022, 02:06 PM
Let’s chill on celebrating a playoff appearance where they got run off the field. I know you can only beat who is on your schedule, but their marquee wins were the Titans missing literally all their skill position players, and the Bills in terrible weather.

This is after years of the Patriots playing in the worst division in football, paving a path to an easier seed. While the Spurs played in the tougher conference and arguably the toughest division.

Basketball is a LOT more dependent on stars to even make the postseason, and the biggest one Pop had literally quit. And he managed to keep the team from being an embarrassment after that - made playoffs and took Denver to seven, competitive in the bubble, and play-in last year. And this year, they have an even point differential despite many pundits having them as one of the worst teams in the league (they’ll be in mix for play-in again).

This is not to detract from what BB has done. He’s done great at keeping a competitive product on the field. Though football is easier to backfill in the draft with roster turnover, while the Spurs only recently have started to benefit from lottery picks and not even ones in the single digits.

Larmarcus playing at his peak got the Spurs to the playoffs in '19.

koriwhat
01-29-2022, 02:24 PM

Whatever you say Mr CCP.

paperboy77
01-29-2022, 03:46 PM
Not even close. Pop, in addition to needing Tim during that era, is now not too sharp. Definitely not as goos as he once was.

paperboy77
01-29-2022, 03:49 PM

Couldn't have answered the question more vanilla than that. SPORTS... who’s the better coach?

Chinook
01-29-2022, 03:51 PM
Whatever you say Mr CCP.

Happy to help, Mr CT.

talkspurs
01-29-2022, 03:52 PM

last I checked coaches were there to get wins not be a moral compass. Most coaches will lose their jobs if they do not get wins. Only reason pop is here is because he won the championships not because he is currently a good coach.

spurs10
01-29-2022, 07:32 PM
I would say it's Belichek. Without Brady, Bill got exposed as just being a good coach who needed his best player to constantly take discounts to maintain his team's dominance. Pop, on the other hand, found his political conscience once Tim left, showing us all that there's more to him (and to the rest of us) beyond just a game. Say what you want about whatever he's doing on the court nowadays, but Pop being the moral compass of the American people is far more important than whatever wins or losses his team has. Unless Belichek learns to speak out against the injustice in our society, I doubt he'll have the same post-star renaissance that Pop did. :bobo

spurs10
01-29-2022, 07:36 PM
last I checked coaches were there to get wins not be a moral compass. Most coaches will lose their jobs if they do not get wins. Only reason pop is here is because he won the championships not because he is currently a good coach. He is a first ballot, multi-millionare, most winning coach in all team sports, so he's far more than a "good coach," he is one of the greatest to have ever coached the game. Th fact he calls out white nationalists whenever he has a chance does speak to his character....which does matter.

HemisfairArena
01-29-2022, 09:18 PM
To answer your question Troll, I would say its phill jackson.

Phil Jackson made the Eastern Conference Finals when Jordan retired for two years. You might want to educate yourself.

HemisfairArena
01-29-2022, 09:20 PM
He is a first ballot, multi-millionare, most winning coach in all team sports, so he's far more than a "good coach," he is one of the greatest to have ever coached the game. Th fact he calls out white nationalists whenever he has a chance does speak to his character....which does matter.

When will he call out the black nationalists like Al Sharpton or is it just a one way street?

exstatic
01-29-2022, 09:46 PM
Phil Jackson made the Eastern Conference Finals when Jordan retired for two years. You might want to educate yourself.

They never made the ECFs without Jordan, losing in the second round twice. Pop did make the WCFs post Tim, though…

K...
01-29-2022, 09:46 PM

and pop took lamarcus aldrige to the playoffs a few times? scottie pippen is in the HOF too ya know

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-29-2022, 11:03 PM
When will he call out the black nationalists like Al Sharpton or is it just a one way street?

1995 called, they want their black bogeyman back

talkspurs
01-29-2022, 11:05 PM
He is a first ballot, multi-millionare, most winning coach in all team sports, so he's far more than a "good coach," he is one of the greatest to have ever coached the game. Th fact he calls out white nationalists whenever he has a chance does speak to his character....which does matter.

you give any other coach with out his record and have them say what he is say and he is fired if he is not winning. This when you talking about who is a good coach it does not matter.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-29-2022, 11:10 PM
you give any other coach with out his record and have them say what he is say and he is fired if he is not winning. This when you talking about who is a good coach it does not matter.

Cool now repost in English please

MultiTroll
01-29-2022, 11:13 PM
Pop did make the WCFs post Tim, though…
With only a Prime Kwa Leonard.
Wow, how did he do that?

lefty
01-29-2022, 11:27 PM
Brady is ass without Gronk tbh

lefty
01-29-2022, 11:30 PM
Jackson not only needed MJ and Kobe, he was completely lost without Tex Winter sitting on the bench next to him.

Yup Phil pretty much borrowed Tex’s triangle offense
Also, Kobe’s real coach was Tex, they spoke on the phone pretty much everyday

benefactor
01-29-2022, 11:53 PM
B:lol:lolmerfairArena...Trump getting taken to the woodshed by confused old man Biden really broke you tbh

DAF86
01-30-2022, 12:59 AM
Belichick made the playoffs with a rookie QB.

John B
01-30-2022, 02:45 AM
Hard to criticize GOAT coattail rider up to 2014 or so. Since then well he is a joke. Getting played my Morris and ending up with DeMarre Carroll.
LOfickingL

We know Pop probably has a lot to say on the personnel, but geez we’re talking about coaching X and O :dizzy

GAustex
01-30-2022, 10:11 AM
We know Pop probably has a lot to say on the personnel, but geez we’re talking about coaching X and O :dizzy
Belichek and poop both handle personnel and coaching. The list goes on and on. Poop is overrated and gained his renown coattailing Duncan

widowmaker
01-30-2022, 02:39 PM

Who the fuck is phill jackson?

John B
01-30-2022, 03:03 PM
Belichek and poop both handle personnel and coaching. The list goes on and on. Poop is overrated and gained his renown coattailing Duncan

While Sloan had Stockton and Malone, Van Gundy with Ewing, Starks and Co. Having great players not necessarily guarantee a title. Pop coached the Spurs in 3 decades with different styles of bball, from twin tower, Big 3 and Beautiful Game, probably the best coaching sending home primed Banana Boat. Dude if that’s coat tailing, you’re dillusional.

GAustex
01-30-2022, 03:11 PM
While Sloan had Stockton and Malone, Van Gundy with Ewing, Starks and Co. Having great players not necessarily guarantee a title. Pop coached the Spurs in 3 decades with different styles of bball, from twin tower, Big 3 and Beautiful Game, probably the best coaching sending home primed Banana Boat. Dude if that’s coat tailing, you’re dillusional.

Year before poop puked all over himself and let Banana Boat crew steal his lunch money-delusional poopivich scrotum sniffer

John B
01-30-2022, 03:28 PM
Year before poop puked all over himself and let Banana Boat crew steal his lunch money-delusional poopivich scrotum sniffer

Yup pulling Duncan and missing that rebound discredited everything. Bruh get over it. They avenged that loss with butt whipping with highest margins of victory. Stop crying already :lol

GAustex
01-30-2022, 03:35 PM
Yup pulling Duncan and missing that rebound discredited everything. Bruh get over it. They avenged that loss with butt whipping with highest margins of victory. Stop crying already :lol
No I will not stop asserting poop is over rated and has been a fuck up since Duncan.

HemisfairArena
01-30-2022, 10:22 PM
Popovich the overrated never repeated even with the best team in the league for many years. Dude just couldnt get it done. Give Phil Jackson this same team for the same amount of years and theyd have 8 titles. Phil Jackson has 3...3 peats. Popovich couldnt even get 1 repeat.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-31-2022, 12:59 PM
News flash. I've never seen a "great" coach without great players on the roster.

My definition of a great coach is one that doesn't fvck up a good thing, and so that made Pop great. 20 years of keeping the core in place, building around that and winning every year. Pop was great. Lots of coaches had great rosters and stunk it up...that's the difference. That's how you tell the good coaches from the bad ones.

Phil Jackson was great at coaching prima donnas. Red Auerbach was great at coaching the Celtics dynasty of his era. Pat Riley...etc. Pop's in that same lineage of coaching greats.

I really don't see Pop as exposed at this point. Would another coach be doing better with this particular group? I don't think so. Our 3-11 record in 5-point or less margin games could be better, but this is a team that battles every night and the players are improving even if the record's less than stellar. Not displeased with Pop's coaching this year. I've actually liked his coaching better this year than the previous couple.

lefty
01-31-2022, 02:17 PM
:lmao

daslicer
02-01-2022, 12:56 PM
and pop took lamarcus aldrige to the playoffs a few times? scottie pippen is in the HOF too ya know

More like Lamarcus took Pop to the playoffs.

Proxy
02-01-2022, 03:41 PM
If you're turning to a basketball coach to be the "moral compass of the American people", no wonder the world is getting F'ed up.

says after sipping on coffee from Qanon mug

John B
02-01-2022, 04:57 PM
I don’t understand this board. They want the Spurs to tank to get higher on the draft, but bitches about Pop when they lose. Make up your mind :lol:lol

james evans
02-01-2022, 06:22 PM
no. He was eliminated in the 2nd round by NY in 94 and Jordan came back the next years. But, I do agree that Jackson is a genius. I found this out when I read his book 11 rings years ago. They basically built a team during the 2nd 3 peat that allowed Jordan to rest on defense for 3 goddamn seasons and use all of his energy for offense. He said this!!!! I said it during the early 2000s to everyone and Phil eventually wrote a book confirming what I saw and othersd did too, but ignored it. So PHil was a mutha fucking genius.

james evans
02-01-2022, 06:24 PM
It's not just that, Popovich coached that entire series like he was trying to lose. I've never in my entire life seen such a horrific job in coaching. NOt even in middle school. Game 6 alone produced so many laughable examples that 15 year old wouldn't even make these mistakes. Add in that he played the worst lineups possible every goddamn game. And then in 2016 did the same thing in the 2nd round against the Thunder whenever we'd get a lead.

daslicer
02-01-2022, 11:27 PM
News flash. I've never seen a "great" coach without great players on the roster.

My definition of a great coach is one that doesn't fvck up a good thing, and so that made Pop great. 20 years of keeping the core in place, building around that and winning every year. Pop was great. Lots of coaches had great rosters and stunk it up...that's the difference. That's how you tell the good coaches from the bad ones.

Phil Jackson was great at coaching prima donnas. Red Auerbach was great at coaching the Celtics dynasty of his era. Pat Riley...etc. Pop's in that same lineage of coaching greats.

I really don't see Pop as exposed at this point. Would another coach be doing better with this particular group? I don't think so. Our 3-11 record in 5-point or less margin games could be better, but this is a team that battles every night and the players are improving even if the record's less than stellar. Not displeased with Pop's coaching this year. I've actually liked his coaching better this year than the previous couple.

I believe coaching in the NBA is very overrated. At best a coach can only influence 5 percent of the game, which is substitutions, and match ups, and I will say the refs. The rest of the 95 percent is influenced by the players.

When it comes to influencing 5 percent of the game Pop has had moments where he has choked. In '13 it was an obvious choke with him pulling out Duncan in the final seconds of the game. In '06 being baited into playing small ball against the Mavs was another failure Pop made. In '11 playing the turd towers of Blair and Bonner together was a mistake by Pop. Pop failing to adjust to the Lakers double and triple teaming Duncan after the first two games in '04 was a failure by Pop.

Pop has lost several series he should have won with bad adjustments and substations. As much I dislike Phil Jackson I can only name 1 series where he lost the series with his coaching decisions. That series would be the '11 Mav's series. That's why I put Phil over Pop.

HemisfairArena
02-02-2022, 12:36 AM
Look, Im gonna keep saying this over and over again,,,,Popovich couldnt even repeat,,,,not one time. Rudy T with Hakeem, yep repeat...Phil Jackson...repeats and 3 peats...Eric Spolestra...Steve Kerr.... Chuck Daly...Pat Riley...Red Auerbach...all coaches that repeated. So youre going to tell me that Popovich is the GOAT and couldnt even do it once? Popovich is the KC Jones of the 80's. He was the coach of the Celtics and had a loaded roster and went to 4 straight Finals and won 2 but never repeated. That is Popovich.

Seventyniner
02-02-2022, 09:08 AM
Pulling Duncan in 2013 game 6 was the right move. I give Pop credit for that, not blame.

RC_Drunkford
02-02-2022, 02:10 PM
I believe coaching in the NBA is very overrated. At best a coach can only influence 5 percent of the game, which is substitutions, and match ups, and I will say the refs. The rest of the 95 percent is influenced by the players.

When it comes to influencing 5 percent of the game Pop has had moments where he has choked. In '13 it was an obvious choke with him pulling out Duncan in the final seconds of the game. In '06 being baited into playing small ball against the Mavs was another failure Pop made. In '11 playing the turd towers of Blair and Bonner together was a mistake by Pop. Pop failing to adjust to the Lakers double and triple teaming Duncan after the first two games in '04 was a failure by Pop.

Pop has lost several series he should have won with bad adjustments and substations. As much I dislike Phil Jackson I can only name 1 series where he lost the series with his coaching decisions. That series would be the '11 Mav's series. That's why I put Phil over Pop.

add 2016 West/Diaw front court to that and also 2019 Nuggets series game 2. And also 2020 Lyles/Forbes in the starting line up. Probably the worst coaching job I have ever seen

lefty
02-02-2022, 03:18 PM
Look, Im gonna keep saying this over and over again,,,,Popovich couldnt even repeat,,,,not one time. Rudy T with Hakeem, yep repeat...Phil Jackson...repeats and 3 peats...Eric Spolestra...Steve Kerr.... Chuck Daly...Pat Riley...Red Auerbach...all coaches that repeated. So youre going to tell me that Popovich is the GOAT and couldnt even do it once? Popovich is the KC Jones of the 80's. He was the coach of the Celtics and had a loaded roster and went to 4 straight Finals and won 2 but never repeated. That is Popovich.
Not sure KC Jones is a good comparison; the Celtics had no bench and the East was a bloodbath whereas the West was a cakewalk for the Lakers

In 87 they were injured (especially after those series vs Detroit) and tired (due to no bench), Lakers were in tip top shape and had a better bench

daslicer
02-02-2022, 04:21 PM
add 2016 West/Diaw front court to that and also 2019 Nuggets series game 2. And also 2020 Lyles/Forbes in the starting line up. Probably the worst coaching job I have ever seen

Agreed. He screwed up bigtime in game 2 against the Nuggets. Spurs were on the verge of winning that game and possibly sweeping the young Nuggets, but Pop lost that game, and it gave the Nuggets confidence to eventually come back and win the series.

RC_Drunkford
02-02-2022, 04:45 PM
Agreed. He screwed up bigtime in game 2 against the Nuggets. Spurs were on the verge of winning that game and possibly sweeping the young Nuggets, but Pop lost that game, and it gave the Nuggets confidence to eventually come back and win the series.

Spurs make the WCF that year if Pop subs out the Bertans/Belinelli/Mills line up

daslicer
02-02-2022, 08:14 PM
Spurs make the WCF that year if Pop subs out the Bertans/Belinelli/Mills line up

I thought they had a good chance of doing it since they matched up really well with the Blazers. It seemed like the stars were aligning for a run to the WCF until Pop screwed it up.

james evans
02-05-2022, 11:09 AM
one thing about popovich, when he KNOWS a lineup isn't working and the fans know it isn't working, he's gonna keep trying it until he can prove it can work.

Big Empty
02-08-2022, 10:15 AM
Pop & Belicek are 5 star chefs working with salt, pepper & potted meat now that their ribeyes are gone. Thats the best way to look at a coach.