PDA

View Full Version : When will the next MAJOR impact player get drafted?

MultiTroll
02-06-2022, 12:08 AM
"Major" impact
I know NBA Forum but it could fall to the Spurs. Hey, it could.

Lets go:
79 Bird
79 Fagic
84 Jordan
92 Shaq
97 Timmy Dunks
03 Lebron

Notice since 2003 this is by far the longest gap since a MAJOR impact player has entered.
When will the next one arrive? Has he already arrived? (I don't think so.)

Greek Freak? Yes he was great last year but he's got to do it in more seasons.

We could have a whole list of almost types, and those who had some fabulous years. Did not forget about Hakeem, if you want to put him in 84 go for it.
Moses Malone? Sure go ahead. But see i want to limit the list to MAJOR and for a period of years, like at least 8. Say what you want about Snaq Oneal, his Miami title was impressive. Mavs whiners STFU about Finals fouls because you robbed Timmy Duncan to get there.

*FOH with your Kirby Bryant marketing bullshyte, this is a Spurs board and we're discussing legit talent and heart, not food stamps marketing fodder. Yes i know Jordan got plenty of pampering but c'mon, the guy could ball.

Just keep it real.

HemisfairArena
02-06-2022, 12:49 AM
Kevin Durant and Stephen Curry are great impact players but if I had to pick a recent one that will be a super star like the rest it would be Ja Morant.

John B
02-06-2022, 02:13 AM
DRob had the biggest turnaround. Okay no title until Timmy, but he got San Antonio back on the map.

I hate Curry, but like it or not, he revolutionized the game into small ball and what we have now.
I think Doncic is a generational skill. Mavs is wadting his talent with Porzingis.
I think Chet will have great impact once he puts in about 15-25 lbs of muscle.

MultiTroll
02-06-2022, 01:11 PM
Kevin Durant and Stephen Curry are great impact players but if I had to pick a recent one that will be a super star like the rest it would be Ja Morant.
His ascension seems on track.
But i doubt he reaches MAJOR.

MultiTroll
02-06-2022, 01:24 PM
DRob had the biggest turnaround. Okay no title until Timmy, but he got San Antonio back on the map.
DRob way up there but still in 2nd tier, not MAJOR.

Curry head to head with Lebron one can see the Grand Canyon of difference.

2015 Lebron was clearly the Finals MVP.
Curry got ass reamed in 2016 by a Lebron team that started Tristan Kardashian. May well have again in 2017 if not for Zaza coming to the rescue.
2018 (17?) was one of the most laughable rigged calls ever after Lebron had put in a Timmy Duncan type performance in game one in leading the Cavs to victory. Whoops. Tweet! Durbeta charge gets changed to a shooting foul on Lebron. Combined with JR Smiths move, Lebron broke his hand in the locker room after slamming it againt the wall. So yeah no the rigged Warriors years don't mean squat. We saw last season what Curry does on his own.
The subsequent b2b with Durbetta colluding over doesn't mean shit to me.

Phenominal shooter, no doubt.

MultiTroll
02-06-2022, 01:31 PM
I think Doncic is a generational skill. Mavs is wadting his talent with Porzingis.
Agree Doncic merely getting Dallas to the playoffs last year is a huge accomplishment.
Hopefully he will take his diet and exercise program seriously if he wants to improve to MAJOR status.

If not he's going to continually have the nagging injuries.

CGD
02-06-2022, 03:55 PM
Agree on Donic and will add Gannis. No love for Durant huh? Guess that move to GWS and injuries will really hamper legacy for some.

Neph has chance but injuries have/will hold him back.

R. DeMurre
02-06-2022, 04:05 PM
Impact is relative. Nikola Jokic has dragged Denver to the #6 spot in the West with a 28-24 record even though his #2 and #3 guys have missed the entire season, while putting up historic regular and advanced stats. The Spurs are 20-34, with relative good health. Imagine what their record would be if Dejounte had to play the entire year without White and Poeltl... probably something like like 8-46.

MultiTroll
02-06-2022, 04:28 PM
Impact is relative.
Exactly. And thats why the MAJOR players are a very select group vs Tier 2.
Timmy Duncs took teams with Matt Bonner starting and a coach with sub zero BBIQ to 55 wins and a playoff. Never had a ref aided season, ever.

Curry was 15-52 without Klanus, Durbetta, Donkey and WarrriorRef.

Snaq Oneal had a better record without Food Stamps Bryant. Which is not to say Bryant and BryantRef were not insturmental in a couple Entertainment Industy titles. They absolutely were. Swap out Kirby with many other shooting guards and the Shaq Lakers still content. Take Shaq away from Kirby and you saw the no playoffs result. Yes he got MVP Pao, healthy Odom, crying eyes Derek Swisher and MVP LakerRef to carry him later in his career. Bryant was completely 2nd, 3rd 4th tier at best. No comparison to Prime Shaq.

But Prime Shaq, like Duncs could make almost any team 50 wins and playoffs.
Media types like Curry and Bryant no way in hell. It's been proven. The sample size is huge.

R. DeMurre
02-06-2022, 04:56 PM
It really hasn't been "proven." It's all in the reading of the situations. I love Magic, but the guy came into the league and immediately had Kareem as a teammate, so of course those teams had success. Bird had at least three or four teammates that were probably better than any teammate Jokic has ever had. Timmy had DRob-- an MVP-- and then Manu and Tony. Curry is part of the record for best win total in a season, in two consecutive seasons, and in three seasons-- that's pretty impressive, along with three rings. Bird has three rings with multiple Hall of Fame teammates... Kinda hard to say Bird is a definite Major Impact guy, but Steph isn't.

MultiTroll
02-06-2022, 05:18 PM
Bird defense vs Curry defense.

The glitzy 73 wins with Durbetta collusion and WarriorRef is meh.
Assrammed by Lebron, Kardashian and JR Smith in the Finals. :lol

Otherwise agree 100 that Bird and Magic walked into ready made excellent teams and had them their whole career. Up until Led Bias OD'd.

TD 21
02-06-2022, 05:20 PM
Off the top . . .

Tier 1: Jordan, James
Tier 2: Duncan, O'Neal, Johnson, Bird
Tier 3: Olajuwon, Durant, Curry, Bryant
Tier 4: Robinson, Malone, Garnett, Nowitzki, Wade, Paul, Antetokounmpo, Harden, Davis, Barkley
Tier 5: Jokic, Scumbag, Embiid, Doncic

Antetokounmpo, Jokic and Doncic could eventually rise to tier 3.

It really hasn't been "proven." It's all in the reading of the situations. I love Magic, but the guy came into the league and immediately had Kareem as a teammate, so of course those teams had success. Bird had at least three or four teammates that were probably better than any teammate Jokic has ever had. Timmy had DRob-- an MVP-- and then Manu and Tony. Curry is part of the record for best win total in a season, in two consecutive seasons, and in three seasons-- that's pretty impressive, along with three rings. Bird has three rings with multiple Hall of Fame teammates... Kinda hard to say Bird is a definite Major Impact guy, but Steph isn't.

And about a 3 year stretch in the early aughts with no second star, yet still kept them a perennially elite team and won them probably the most impressive championship in history.

Dejounte
02-06-2022, 05:25 PM
Can James really hold Jordan’s jock though? He’s still at his fourth ring and is unlikely to get another one.

Jordan stands alone at the top (of this list that includes last couple decades only, at least), IMO.

TD 21
02-06-2022, 05:34 PM
Can James really hold Jordan’s jock though? He’s still at his fourth ring and is unlikely to get another one.

Jordan stands alone at the top (of this list that includes last couple decades only, at least), IMO.

Inarguably. The RINGZZZ argument is so lame. It's all about context. Jordan took over 1.5 years off to recharge mid prime and never had to go through a dynasty to get his. James had to face a certified one 3 times and another playing at a dynastic level 4 times.

The '11 Finals was obviously the biggest blow to his "legacy", but despite the NBA's/media's mythologizing, Jordan's wasn't spotless either (no one's was or will ever be).

Jordan's probably got James by a hair for peak value, but James blows him away for longevity.

R. DeMurre
02-06-2022, 05:42 PM
And about a 3 year stretch in the early aughts with no second star, yet still kept them a perennially elite team and won them probably the most impressive championship in history.

I'm certainly taking nothing away from Timmy, who's one of my favorite all time players, but 58-58-60 is a long ways off from the ridiculous run of 67-73-67, just purely in terms of NBA history. But yeah, I've argued for many years that if the Spurs could've matched the payroll of the Lakers during Timmy's career, he very possibly could've had 7 or 8 rings.

TD 21
02-06-2022, 05:49 PM
I'm certainly taking nothing away from Timmy, who's one of my favorite all time players, but 58-58-60 is a long ways off from the ridiculous run of 67-73-67, just purely in terms of NBA history. But yeah, I've argued for many years that if the Spurs could've matched the payroll of the Lakers during Timmy's career, he very possibly could've had 7 or 8 rings.

Again, context. 1) The mid-late 10s Warriors had significantly more talent than the early aughts Spurs, 2) The expected W-L were a lot closer than that, 3) Curry's only ring as the best player was against a decimated field that encompassed zero elite teams and he was part of begging the second best player of his generation to get his two tainted ones.

R. DeMurre
02-06-2022, 05:49 PM
Inarguably. The RINGZZZ argument is so lame. It's all about context. Jordan took over 1.5 years off to recharge mid prime and never had to go through a dynasty to get his. James had to face a certified one 3 times and another playing at a dynastic level 4 times.

The '11 Finals was obviously the biggest blow to his "legacy", but despite the NBA's/media's mythologizing, Jordan's wasn't spotless either (no one's was or will ever be).

Jordan's probably got James by a hair for peak value, but James blows him away for longevity.

Yeah, so many ways to look at this: At age 22, Jordan's team finished 30-52 and got swept in the first round.. (how the hell does a 30-52 team even get into the playoffs??). At age 22, Lebron led a pretty weak team to a 50-32 record, and three playoff series victories, finally losing to an all time great team in the finals led by Timmy. But I do have to agree the the let down in 2011 is a permanent mark against.

HemisfairArena
02-06-2022, 05:57 PM
Curry is considered the best shooter the game has ever seen. You cant leave him off your list of Impact players.

MultiTroll
02-06-2022, 05:58 PM

Did you actually watch the 2015 Finals with Kyrie Irving out?

You're giving Lebron a neg because he did not ring that year?
FFS.

HemisfairArena
02-06-2022, 06:00 PM
Another Impact player was Rodman,,,one of the best rebounders/defenders ever. Offense is sexy but his defense and rebounding was 2nd to none.

MultiTroll
02-06-2022, 06:01 PM
Another Impact player was Rodman,,,one of the best rebounders/defenders ever. Offense is sexy but his defense and rebounding was 2nd to none.
MAJOR.

Not impact.

John B
02-06-2022, 09:37 PM
Generational talent. They helped carved the NBA, for better or for worse.

Magic - with his showtime Lakers. Whether Kareem was there or not, “showtime” had Magic’s blueprints all-over it.
Bird - He was the original 3 pointer catalyst, and made 3 pointer became a lethal weapon.
Jordan - While Dr J paved way with flying dunks and “coolness”, MJ soared to another level and made NBA billions of dollar global market, shoes, merchandise, etc
Shaq - Most dominant big. Teams started to load on “bigs” to guard this guy
Timmy - Best PF ever and arguably in GOAT conversation with longevity and winning through different types of plays and personnel.
Curry - As mentioned, he revolutionized small ball the way we watch the game today, for good or bad. And scoring 3’s has never been this crucial. NBA scores are now averaging in the 120+ because of him (for good or bad).

People loves to put LeBron here. But has he won on his own? The players I named did. They each made their team mates better within, not by recruiting. I don’t care if he’s been in the Finals that many times. He would be the “softest” generational talent if I had to include him, with recruiting alliances left and right to win a ring. I would put Kobe first before him, but nah, since Kobe too couldn’t win without Shaq or Gasol, not even getting to the playoffs by himself.
Durant, the same. Could be one of the best scorer the game has known, but him joining alliances knocked him from my list.

Giannis is an anomaly and I like the guy, a modern day DRob, freakish athlete. But I doubt he wins another ring.
Allen Iverson - while Tim Hardaway first showed us the crossover, he didn’t break many ankles like AI did. That guy was a pure scorer.
Nowitzky, not many big man can score outside like he did. But it took him 25 yrs for his only ring.
Doncic came in with complete game at a very early age. But he too has fizzled somewhat.

Of course this list would include Kareem with his skyhook, Russell with his defense and Wilt as literally a “giant” among boys.

offset formation
02-06-2022, 09:39 PM
Impact is relative. Nikola Jokic has dragged Denver to the #6 spot in the West with a 28-24 record even though his #2 and #3 guys have missed the entire season, while putting up historic regular and advanced stats. The Spurs are 20-34, with relative good health. Imagine what their record would be if Dejounte had to play the entire year without White and Poeltl... probably something like like 8-46.

That's where we should be if pop played the young and inexperienced ones more minutes

HemisfairArena
02-06-2022, 10:18 PM
If we're going off the last 40 years which Im assuming OP is since he added Bird and Magic but didnt go all the way back to Russell and Wilt,,,then over the last 40 years the most Impactful players are Magic, Bird, MJ, Shaq, Duncan, Curry, LeBron, Kareem, Hakeem, Kobe,,,,and Iverson and Isiah Thomas are very close. Its all subjective.

MultiTroll
02-06-2022, 10:34 PM
If we're going off the last 40 years which Im assuming OP is since he added Bird and Magic but didnt go all the way back to Russell and Wilt,,,
Correct. Wilt and Russel are absolute MAJORs but the majority on this board may have never seen footage.
Thus Bird-Magic forward.

MultiTroll
02-06-2022, 10:48 PM
People loves to put LeBron here. But has he won on his own? The players I named did. They each made their team mates better within, not by recruiting. I don’t care if he’s been in the Finals that many times.
Durant, the same. Could be one of the best scorer the game has known, but him joining alliances knocked him from my list.
What has Curry won on his own? Head to head Lebron obliterated him in 2015 and 16.
Durbettas alliance was with....Curry.

Changed the game thru his shooting, absolutely.
Nother thing im not hearing any of you Curry slurpers mention is....Defense.
MAJOR who only plays one side of the ball? Nope.

John B
02-06-2022, 10:53 PM
I would put Isiah before I put LeBron. It’s subjective, but Isiah was the leader of the Bad Boys. You can never look back at the history of the NBA without mentioning the Bad Boys. They define pain, team mates, everybody got each other’s back. It shaped the NBA, particularly how flagrant fouls :lol:lol are called. Seriously, Isiah was a bad mother, it’s either you’re with him or not.

HemisfairArena
02-06-2022, 10:54 PM
What has Curry won on his own? Head to head Lebron obliterated him in 2015 and 16.

What has Duncan won on his own?,,,,last time I checked he needed Kawhi in the last Finals to carry him and Manu and Parker in the previous ones,,,,,not to mention DRob. You have some kind of hatred for Curry and its laughable. Dude is an all time great.

HemisfairArena
02-06-2022, 10:55 PM

Curry went Back to back,,,,Duncan?,,,,not so much.

talkspurs
02-06-2022, 10:56 PM

If that is your logic then what has Lebron won by himself? He has not done anything without others on his team. You could make the same argument for shaqu and tim as well. Lebron has been overhyped his whole career.

HemisfairArena
02-06-2022, 10:58 PM
OP now showing hes uneducated,,,,

MultiTroll
02-06-2022, 11:26 PM
What has Duncan won on his own?,,,,last time I checked he needed Kawhi in the last Finals to carry him and Manu and Parker in the previous ones,,,,,not to mention DRob. You have some kind of hatred for Curry and its laughable. Dude is an all time great.

Curry went Back to back,,,,Duncan?,,,,not so much.
:lol 1/10 troll job

HemisfairArena
02-06-2022, 11:28 PM
:lol 1/10 troll job

You look bad, son,,,,

MultiTroll
02-06-2022, 11:31 PM
You look bad, son,,,,
I look marvelous.

HemisfairArena
02-07-2022, 12:49 AM
I look marvelous.

If by marvelous, you mean retodded(Boston accent just to help ya out),,,,thats the best take youve had in the thread,,,,

XDT76
02-07-2022, 02:19 AM
Off the top . . .

Tier 1: Jordan, James
Tier 2: Duncan, O'Neal, Johnson, Bird
Tier 3: Olajuwon, Durant, Curry, Bryant
Tier 4: Robinson, Malone, Garnett, Nowitzki, Wade, Paul, Antetokounmpo, Harden, Davis, Barkley
Tier 5: Jokic, Scumbag, Embiid, Doncic

Antetokounmpo, Jokic and Doncic could eventually rise to tier 3.

Your list is funny a prime tier 1 plus tier four player, lost to an aging tier 4 player. They also struggle to win an aging tier 2 player in 7 games and then get spank by that aging tier 2 player the following year.

XDT76
02-07-2022, 02:25 AM

The last I checked, Timmy was the finals MVP 3 times meaning he carried the team 3 times to the ring. Curry has a grand total of 0, so he was never the best player in any championship team. According to your back to back talk D. Green is better than Tim and Steve Kerr is better than Jordan.

HemisfairArena
02-07-2022, 02:37 AM
The last I checked, Timmy was the finals MVP 3 times meaning he carried the team 3 times to the ring. Curry has a grand total of 0, so he was never the best player in any championship team. According to your back to back talk D. Green is better than Tim and Steve Kerr is better than Jordan.

So MVP's determine greatness?,,,,,lmao. Joe Flacco won a Super Bowl and Super Bowl MVP in the NFL,,,you telling me he's a better QB than Dan Marino?

HemisfairArena
02-07-2022, 02:40 AM
Nick Foles,,,,another Super Bowl winner and Super Bowl MVP,,,,you telling me hes better than Dan Marino?

HemisfairArena
02-07-2022, 02:42 AM
Andre Iguodala,,,,NBA Champion on those Warrior teams and Finals MVP,,,,you telling hes better than Curry?,,,,lmao

XDT76
02-07-2022, 03:04 AM
Andre Iguodala,,,,NBA Champion on those Warrior teams and Finals MVP,,,,you telling hes better than Curry?,,,,lmao

You are considered a great impact player when you are not even considered to be the most impactful on your on team?

HemisfairArena
02-07-2022, 03:26 AM
You are considered a great impact player when you are not even considered to be the most impactful on your on team?

Are you really saying Curry isnt the most Impactful player on his team?,,,

DeRozan m8
02-07-2022, 03:29 AM

Who gives a fuck about longevity

Lebron has never been able do shit without a 1b and a lot of cherry picked pieces.

He also had to run away and reset 3 times...pathetic.

His game is also ugly and he holds the ball too long.

He has always been manufactured hype and a loser deep down

rascal
02-07-2022, 05:36 AM

Lebron has never been able do shit without a 1b and a lot of cherry picked pieces.

Not easy to win on different teams. LeBron is great. he's the reason why his teams won because when he left those teams nose dived and didn't even come close . A good indicator is how a player when added to the team adds win totals to that team.

exstatic
02-07-2022, 07:34 AM

Cornbread Maxwell won a FMVP for Boston. Was he ever, even for one second, a better player than Bird? You can put iggy’s FMVP in that same category.

XDT76
02-07-2022, 08:07 AM
Cornbread Maxwell won a FMVP for Boston. Was he ever, even for one second, a better player than Bird? You can put iggy’s FMVP in that same category.

I did not say a single word that Iggy's better it's just that the league think he has a bigger impact and it makes it even worse when u are suppose to be the best player and a role player has a bigger impact especially when u are in your prime. Curry is a great scorer but he was always hidden in defense that's why Iggy got it over him. Other than a great 3 ptr the most memorable moments for Curry is that Green and Bogut regularly got him free with illegal screen and he lost 3 straight when up 3-1 as the best player resulting in the management bringing in another player to supplant him as the best player. Which great impact player experience it?

MultiTroll
02-07-2022, 11:26 AM
Nick Foles,,,,another Super Bowl winner and Super Bowl MVP,,,,you telling me hes better than Dan Marino?
In each of their one Superbowls, yes.

MultiTroll
02-07-2022, 11:32 AM
Yes.
Game 5 1981 NBA Finals.
Bird had a very off shooting game.
Corny was on fire. 10-13 in a low scoring game. 15 boards to boot, 7 offensive.

Iggys was undeserved. Lebron was the 2015 MVP in spades. The NBA loser policy that MVP has to come from the winning team is fertilizer.

John B
02-07-2022, 12:38 PM
Yes.
Game 5 1981 NBA Finals.
Bird had a very off shooting game.
Corny was on fire. 10-13 in a low scoring game. 15 boards to boot, 7 offensive.

Iggys was undeserved. Lebron was the 2015 MVP in spades. The NBA loser policy that MVP has to come from the winning team is fertilizer.

Why put too much on the FMVP? Had Spurs won 2013, Danny Green would arguably be the FMVP. Does it mean he's any better than any of the Big 3 and nephew?

couchman
02-07-2022, 12:48 PM
I love this convo! Great takes by a lot of you, even if I don't agree with all of them.

MAJOR Impact players in my lifetime:

Tier 1
Magic
Bird
Jordan
Timmy
LeBron
Kareem

Tier 2
Olajuwon
Kobe
Durant
Karl Malone
Steph Curry
Barkley

Tier 3
Giannis
The Admiral
Kevin Garnett
Isiah Thomas
Chris Paul
AI
Kawhi

R. DeMurre
02-07-2022, 12:57 PM
I love this convo! Great takes by a lot of you, even if I don't agree with all of them.

Tier 1
Magic
Bird
Jordan
Timmy
LeBron
Kareem

Tier 2
Olajuwon
Kobe
Durant
Karl Malone
Steph Curry
Barkley

Tier 3
Giannis
The Admiral
Kevin Garnett
Isiah Thomas
Chris Paul
AI
Kawhi

Bill Russell's 11 rings and redefining the entire defensive approach to NBA basketball doesn't even get him into tier 3? He's behind AI and Karl Malone? That's crazy talk.

couchman
02-07-2022, 01:00 PM
Also, remember just a couple of years ago when people were comparing Anthony Davis with Timmy!?

TD was not only one of the greatest talents and players, but he had that mental fortitude and refuse to lose attitude that carried him past players with greater physical gifts.
It is almost always the mental component that separates great players from the GREATEST players.
Mentally weak guys like Durant and Garnett are all time greats, but could have been so much more if they had the warrior spirit of guys at the top.

couchman
02-07-2022, 01:01 PM
Bill Russell's 11 rings and redefining the entire defensive approach to NBA basketball doesn't even get him into tier 3? He's behind AI and Karl Malone? That's crazy talk.

"In my lifetime" my guy. I'm not THAT old! haha

R. DeMurre
02-07-2022, 01:09 PM
"In my lifetime" my guy. I'm not THAT old! haha

:lol :toast

John B
02-07-2022, 01:16 PM

Tier 1
Magic
Bird
Jordan
Timmy
LeBron
Kareem

Tier 2
Olajuwon
Kobe
Durant
Karl Malone
Steph Curry
Barkley

Tier 3
Giannis
The Admiral
Kevin Garnett
Isiah Thomas
Chris Paul
AI
Kawhi

Missing Shaq

John B
02-07-2022, 01:18 PM
Also, remember just a couple of years ago when people were comparing Anthony Davis with Timmy!?

TD was not only one of the greatest talents and players, but he had that mental fortitude and refuse to lose attitude that carried him past players with greater physical gifts.
It is almost always the mental component that separates great players from the GREATEST players.
Mentally weak guys like Durant and Garnett are all time greats, but could have been so much more if they had the warrior spirit of guys at the top.

Add LeBron on that mentally weak. That's why I can never put him in Tier 1 conversation regardless how many times he's been in the finals.

couchman
02-07-2022, 04:09 PM
Missing Shaq

Good call. He's in Tier 2 for me

TD 21
02-07-2022, 05:49 PM
Your list is funny a prime tier 1 plus tier four player, lost to an aging tier 4 player. They also struggle to win an aging tier 2 player in 7 games and then get spank by that aging tier 2 player the following year.

:lmao So his whole career should be whittled down to a 6 game sample size (even if it is the Finals)? Well in that case, a prime Jordan lost to a young O'Neal and Hardaway.

In two of the three Finals vs the Spurs, the Spurs clearly had a better team and had a roughly equal one in the other. It's not an individual sport.

:lmao So being a superstar longer than anyone in history doesn't matter? Only '94 Olajuwon, '03 Duncan and '11 Nowitzki won without a 1b in recent history.

A young James took a starless Cavaliers to the '07 Finals, then an old one did so in '18, only to lose to a dynasty and dynastic team. Again, it's not an individual sport and whether you find his game aesthetically pleasing or not is irrelevant.

Yeah, with talented, but flawed teams always. He never had pristine circumstances like that affluenza bitch Scumbag has had.

MultiTroll
12-03-2023, 08:51 PM
Well you've had about 20 games to look.

Wemby in the group?

Chet?

Wembys stepping into one of if not the worst starting situation of any of the MAJORs all time.

hitmantb
12-03-2023, 10:12 PM
Duncan is clearly tier 1, I would rank him #2 behind Jordan. You may laugh at this now, but when Spurs goes ringless for two more decades, they will realize how special Duncan really was.

Look at the Spurs franchise that stole so much credit from him, tiny budget, trash tier city for free agents, overrated coach, Duncan got 5 rings with weakest supporting cast and lowest budget (relative to rest of the league) to ever win even 3 rings. Just count David, Kawhi, Tony, and Manu's all-NBA appearances when they played with Duncan. Because of this trash roster he never repeated, and he did so much dirty work on the floor that doesn't give him stats. He is the only player in NBA history to beat two first-team all-NBA's (03 and 07) twice on his way to ring without an all-NBA player on his side.

Imagine if he had Shaq or Kobe (I laugh at any comparison of Duncan vs them, imagine LeBron went 2:3 vs Durant + Curry, beating them in 2018 as the lone star) Curry's roster budget or LeGM's teammates. LeBron is the most calculated star in NBA history. Incredible career planning, GOAT body (partly because he shrewdly avoids any dirty work that doesn't give stats), but not a team player at all, played in the weak East, stacked roster after roster, still only 4 rings.

Curry and Durant are both in David Robinson's tier in terms of overall impact. Joker is already in that tier, he has the best chance to make it top 10 barring injuries.

exstatic
12-03-2023, 10:23 PM
Duncan is clearly tier 1, I would rank him #2 behind Jordan. You may laugh at this now, but when Spurs goes ringless for two more decades, they will realize how special Duncan really was.

Look at the Spurs franchise that stole so much credit from him, tiny budget, trash tier city for free agents, overrated coach, Duncan got 5 rings with weakest supporting cast and lowest budget (relative to rest of the league) to ever win even 3 rings. Just count David, Kawhi, Tony, and Manu's all-NBA appearances when they played with Duncan. Because of this trash roster he never repeated, and he did so much dirty work on the floor that doesn't give him stats.

Imagine if he had Shaq or Kobe (I laugh at any comparison of Duncan vs them, imagine LeBron went 2:3 vs Durant + Curry) Curry's roster budget or LeGM's teammates. LeBron is the most calculated star in NBA history. Incredible career planning, GOAT body (partly because he shrewdly avoids any dirty work that doesn't give stats), but not a team player at all, played in the weak East, stacked roster after roster, still only 4 rings.

Curry and Durant are both in David Robinson's tier in terms of overall impact. Joker is already in that tier, he has the best chance to make it top 10 barring injuries.

Spoiler alert: if you have two other HOF players for most of your career, your roster isn’t trash. He got three real good years of David, and over a decade from Tony and Manu as All Star caliber players. The only year he was really alone was 2002-2003.

hitmantb
12-03-2023, 10:31 PM
Spoiler alert: if you have two other HOF players for most of your career, your roster isn’t trash. He got three real good years of David, and over a decade from Tony and Manu as All Star caliber players. The only year he was really alone was 2002-2003.

It is a trash supporting cast for anyone who ever won 3 or more rings. Name any player that won 3 or more rings. Count the number of all-star's on his team during his career.

Parker and Manu are extremely low quality star players for multi-ring teams. Neither plays any real defense and have to be covered by Duncan on defense and relies on Duncan screen on offense as well. Manu is spectacular for 20 minutes a game, a double edged sword rest of the game. Both are relatively fragile (again, for multi-ring supporting cast).

Hall of fame means nothing, LeBron played with Shaq too. Count the actual number of all-stars during Duncan's career.

David: 3
Tony: 6
Manu: 2
Kawhi: 1
Aldridge: 1

That is 13 all-stars appearances, or 2.6 all-star appearances per ring. Do the same math for anyone else in NBA history and you will realize how special Duncan was. Jordan may be the only one with less all-stars per ring. If you factor in the team budget relative to rest of the league, Duncan did a little less with way less resources than even Jordan.

MultiTroll
12-03-2023, 10:36 PM
Would you geezers please address Wemby?

hitmantb
12-03-2023, 10:39 PM
Would you geezers please address Wemby?

Way too early to tell. Not everyone is LeBron, at age 19 he has a long way to go. I actually love the idea of hard tank for his soulmate while he develops his body.

MultiTroll
12-03-2023, 10:41 PM
Way too early to tell. Not everyone is LeBron, at age 19 he has a long way to go. I actually love the idea of hard tank for his soulmate while he develops his body.
Unless you Pro Tankers have someone in mind in the lotto, i see nothing but destruction coming from this Retard Ball by Grandpa.

Wemby def is a generational player imo.
Not with Grandpa, but hopefully WORST case scenario he gets some soul mates or bounces from the dictatorship in 5 or less.

exstatic
12-04-2023, 07:32 AM
It is a trash supporting cast for anyone who ever won 3 or more rings. Name any player that won 3 or more rings. Count the number of all-star's on his team during his career.

Parker and Manu are extremely low quality star players for multi-ring teams. Neither plays any real defense and have to be covered by Duncan on defense and relies on Duncan screen on offense as well. Manu is spectacular for 20 minutes a game, a double edged sword rest of the game. Both are relatively fragile (again, for multi-ring supporting cast).

Hall of fame means nothing, LeBron played with Shaq too. Count the actual number of all-stars during Duncan's career.

David: 3
Tony: 6
Manu: 2
Kawhi: 1
Aldridge: 1

That is 13 all-stars appearances, or 2.6 all-star appearances per ring. Do the same math for anyone else in NBA history and you will realize how special Duncan was. Jordan may be the only one with less all-stars per ring. If you factor in the team budget relative to rest of the league, Duncan did a little less with way less resources than even Jordan.

I don’t do homework for you. It’s your assertion that other players had better support systems, so show your work. Remember, you only showed spurs who made ASGs when they played on the Spurs with Tim. No cheating with previous All Stars who ring chased late in their careers on, say, the Lakers.

ambchang
12-04-2023, 07:38 PM
Tough to say duncan had a trash supporting cast but for players with 3+ titles it’s hard to find any supporting Cast that is “weaker”. At least in the modern era.

Kareem and magic had each other, plus worthy, then Scott, Nixon, mcadoo.
Bird had mchale and parish, DJ, ainge and Walton.
Jordan had Pippen and grant/rodman (this is actually one of th less loaded lineup but the 90s league was really watered down.
Shaq had kobe, wade.
Kobe coattailed then had MVPau odom and Bynum.
Lebron had wade and bosh, then Irving and love, then unibrow.
Curry had durant, Thompson and green.
You rank all of these players careers and Parker and Manus nba resume is likely in the bottom 1/3