PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about the Spurs logjam at center

8FOR!3
02-08-2022, 03:58 PM
Guys as much as I don't want us to trade Poeltl (and I doubt it'll happen anyways bc it doesn't seem like anybody interested is actually interested in matching his value,) I do see that we kind of have an issue at that position moving forward.

I'm basically going to ignore Thaddeus Young even though he's played some minutes at center, because I think he's as good as gone even if we don't trade him. It doesn't really behove us to play him. But we do have 3 centers who need to get playing time; Poeltl being the obvious one. But Jock Landale is arguably too good to be the 3rd center and he's only 26 years old. Even if we did what we did with Aron Baynes and sit him this year and play him next year, we're still going to have this same problem.

Zach Collins is the youngest out of the 3 and probably has the highest upside. But he seems to be the one that never stays healthy. Maybe that changes in SA, maybe it doesn't. But for now, that's what we know him to be. I guess the purpose of this thread is to discuss who the odd one out is. Because we also have Drew Eubanks. And I think most everyone would be content with us moving on from Eubanks, but he is probably best suited as a 3rd center. Landale/Collins imo are too good for that and it would be doing us and them a disservice to not be in the rotation here.

The only reasonable thing that could keep everybody here from my perspective is to use one of them at the 4. And it'd probably have to be Collins but I'm really not sure if in today's league he is a 4, especially full time. But our options realistically are:

A. Trade one of Poeltl/Collins/Landale
B. Either Collins or Landale just won't be part of the rotation
C. Play Collins at the 4

Curious as to whatever everyone would do here. Not sure if I really have a super strong opinion, but I do think it fair to say that we at some point have to commit to one of the those 3 options.

exstatic
02-08-2022, 04:05 PM
Thad will be leaving the building. So should Eubanks this summer. That leaves Poeltl, Zollins, Landale, none of whom have a bad contract. Problem solved.

8FOR!3
02-08-2022, 04:15 PM
Thad will be leaving the building. So should Eubanks this summer. That leaves Poeltl, Zollins, Landale, none of whom have a bad contract. Problem solved.

Don't disagree but even 3 is too many for a center rotation and there's got to be an odd man out, no? Right now it's really Landale who hasn't gotten his playing time.

mo7888
02-08-2022, 04:22 PM
Don't disagree but even 3 is too many for a center rotation and there's got to be an odd man out, no? Right now it's really Landale who hasn't gotten his playing time.

It's not a problem... Jock is a 3rd big man type right now. If we move Poeltl we bring in another C to compete with Jock for the backup spot..

We don't really have a C problem

BatManu20
02-08-2022, 04:30 PM
The battle for the third-string C spot between Jock and Drew is about to heat up.

Mr. Body
02-08-2022, 04:33 PM

Yeah, this. Poeltl's not going anywhere. There's still a possibility Zollins plays some 4, despite what some say.

MannyIsGod
02-08-2022, 04:37 PM
There is no logjam at center.

MannyIsGod
02-08-2022, 04:38 PM

3 centers is just fine.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-08-2022, 04:38 PM

This.

Landale is easily expendable should the Spurs get the opportunity to upgrade, and I don't see Eubanks or Thad on the roster next year. No logjam.

RC_Drunkford
02-08-2022, 04:41 PM
I much rather discuss this team only having 1 real PF on the roster. There is no logjam at C once Eubanks is gone and out of the league

itzsoweezee
02-08-2022, 04:42 PM
Collins is not a center. Maybe a small ball center, but he can play alongside poetl just fine

Fusternino
02-08-2022, 04:55 PM
This team has no logjam at the 5. We have no forwards. Eubanks and Young need to go.

LeBowen
02-08-2022, 05:04 PM
There's no logjam, only logs. :lmao

Can't rely on Collins until we know if he can get back into shape and stay healthy.
Landale has some upside, so two of them can compete for minutes, with Collins being able to play some PF minutes.

Eubanks is a scrub and should get DNPs, but Pop loves charity cases.

This is all assuming Jakob isn't traded.

poopbox
02-08-2022, 05:21 PM
Collins can and should be playing at the 4 not the 5. He could solve a lot of our problems at the 4. I swear if Pop really plays him at the 5 only while we are outsized and outmatched at the 4 every night somebody needs to put some cyanide in his depends so we can get a real nba coach.

Dex
02-08-2022, 06:21 PM

I know the league is shifting against centers, but I still feel like having 3 on tap is perfectly reasonable. Unless you are leaning into full small ball, you need at least 2 available for any given game (one starter, one bench)...and you need some sort of insurance policy if one (or both) get sick or injured.

My take is the Spurs need to stick with Jak, Jock, and Zollins going forward assuming he can healthy.

offset formation
02-08-2022, 06:41 PM
Juancho played some center (espcially on the defensive end) last game too. He may be listed as a PF but he's basically splitting his time between both in the few minutes he's played. We have far too many folks at that end that basically all comprise the same role for us.

XDT76
02-08-2022, 06:48 PM
Not really a concern about the C. Ignoring Young and Eubanks, the other 2 C contract are ending next year and we could cut the remaining one end next year. All 3 have uncertainty, Jakob could continue to improve be looking for a contract north of 15M, Landale might never adapt to NBA pace and Zollins might not be able to stay healthy. There are too many variables in play and end of next year we might be looking for a new starting C. Even when all 3 being great next year we can just keep 2 and flip one mid-season for an asset.