PDA

View Full Version : Woj: Spurs acquire guard Tomas Satoransky and a second-round pick in three-team trade

Uriel
02-09-2022, 02:32 PM

slick'81
02-09-2022, 02:34 PM
Now were a top 5 team in the west

Degoat
02-09-2022, 02:39 PM
Let’s go!!!

BatManu20
02-09-2022, 02:42 PM
:lobt:

Chinook
02-09-2022, 02:43 PM
If it's a real second, that's an increasing haul for Bryn. Nice. Getting two seconds and cash for their room exception. Can't do that every year, but Wright did all right this time.

exstatic
02-09-2022, 02:46 PM
Financial. I’ll be there could be some cash coming, too.

Utah trying to wiggle further towards the tax line.

BTW, we’ve now obtained two SRPs for Bryn Forbes.

Uriel
02-09-2022, 02:47 PM

Rev Hill
02-09-2022, 02:50 PM
6'7" PG...has some skills. Could that be the plug in for a forthcoming Derrick White trade?

sananspursfan21
02-09-2022, 02:50 PM
GOAToransky baby!

exstatic
02-09-2022, 02:52 PM
Ther two SRPs would be their 2025 and 2026, as they are Utahs only remaining SRPs. They’re now expended out to 2028.

I don’t really care which we get, and I’m glad they’re pretty far out. Maybe a slight preference for 2026, since we have CHIs 2025 FRP & SRP already.

exstatic
02-09-2022, 02:53 PM
6'7" PG...has some skills. Could that be the plug in for a forthcoming Derrick White trade?

He’s been straight trash this year. Wouldn’t be surprised if he were flipped again before Thursday.

szkorhetz
02-09-2022, 02:56 PM
WTF, two trades in a season?

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-09-2022, 02:58 PM
Ther two SRPs would be their 2025 and 2026, as they are Utahs only remaining SRPs. They’re now expended out to 2028.

I don’t really care which we get, and I’m glad they’re pretty far out. Maybe a slight preference for 2026, since we have CHIs 2025 FRP & SRP already.

They also have this year's Memphis 2nd and a 2027 second that's very complicated. I bet it's these two picks they're trading, not their own 2025 and 26.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/team

Leetonidas
02-09-2022, 02:59 PM
Nice. Not much but getting a free player and a second 2nd rounder out of Bryn is money in my book

Rev Hill
02-09-2022, 03:01 PM
He’s been straight trash this year. Wouldn’t be surprised if he were flipped again before Thursday.

In the Spurs system, he could be much better...has skills, but agree, he could be flipped again. But makes sense he could be temp filler for a White trade.

MultiTroll
02-09-2022, 03:01 PM

Lifetime shooting stats were ok.
This year 30% and 16% on treys.
WTF is playing with an injury or what?

Ocotillo
02-09-2022, 03:02 PM
And so the Hernangomez era comes to a close in the Alamo city. :lol

exstatic
02-09-2022, 03:03 PM
Nice. Not much but getting a free player and a second 2nd rounder out of Bryn is money in my book

Two SRPs. Don’t forget the one that came with JHG.

exstatic
02-09-2022, 03:04 PM
In the Spurs system, he could be much better...has skills, but agree, he could be flipped again. But makes sense he could be temp filler for a White trade.

If we flip White, we need a better solution than a 30 YO journeyman.

Leetonidas
02-09-2022, 03:04 PM
Two SRPs. Don’t forget the one that came with JHG.

Hence the second 2nd rounder :toast

pookenstein
02-09-2022, 03:05 PM
And so the Hernangomez era comes to a close in the Alamo city. :lol

And they haven't even finished his statue outside the AT&T Center yet. Shame.

CGD
02-09-2022, 03:05 PM
Great bit of Housekeeping. Hopefully it a super late SRP too, or at least once Mitchell leaves Utah.

exstatic
02-09-2022, 03:07 PM
They also have this year's Memphis 2nd and a 2027 second that's very complicated. I bet it's these two picks they're trading, not their own 2025 and 26.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/team

Don’t want this years pick, and that Other pick in 2026 looks to have two protections that cover the entire range of the second round. If we’re eating salary, it had better be a real, unprotected SRP.

baseline bum
02-09-2022, 03:08 PM

Wow long time no see. How you been Rev? Gotta say I'm thrilled to get two seconds out of Forbes.

exstatic
02-09-2022, 03:08 PM
Hence the second 2nd rounder :toast

Oops. My bad.

BatManu20
02-09-2022, 03:09 PM

Tank for Jaden Ivey. :hungry:

LakerHater
02-09-2022, 03:18 PM
Another Guard!??

exstatic
02-09-2022, 03:21 PM
The SRP is the complicated one from 2027. Basically throw the 2027 SRPs from OKC, INDY, MIA,HOU into a bag. We get the worst one, and OKC gets the other three. It’s real pick, probably not great, but it will convey.

Seventyniner
02-09-2022, 03:22 PM

It would only be for the rest of this (lost) season anyway, Satoransky's contract is expiring.

If the Spurs somehow trade White and not Satoransky, I wouldn't expect Satoransky to get White's minutes anyway. They would probably go imo mostly to Walker and Primo.

Rev Hill
02-09-2022, 04:32 PM
...still think a White trade could be coming...but again, its the Spurs...hopes not up.

Rev Hill
02-09-2022, 04:36 PM
Wow long time no see. How you been Rev? Gotta say I'm thrilled to get two seconds out of Forbes.

Doing well...it's been a long time, that's for sure...but do still follow the Spurs...last few years been tough...quite honestly enjoyed more watching my daughter play college volleyball...but I've been around lurking more so. :) Agree, two 2nd's for Forbes is nice...would like to see those assets flipped for something more impactful if possible. Hope you've been well!

KobesAchilles
02-09-2022, 04:37 PM
Damn if Bryn Forbes is worth 2 SRPs then Poeltl is def worth 2 FRPs. Brian Wright is looking better and better. Now we just have to draft well and get rid of Lonnie.

superbigtime
02-09-2022, 04:38 PM
Is this about getting a pick, or getting a Czech player.

gospursgojas
02-09-2022, 04:42 PM
Thad, Tomas, and White for Beal works :)

slick'81
02-09-2022, 04:46 PM
https://youtu.be/KQatyhR6FNo

Mnky
02-09-2022, 04:51 PM
I figured the forbes signing was a trade bait signing. I was happy with getting a free second. Wright got two free seconds for basically nothing by just signing and holding on to Forbes until the right time. Primo pick looks good and the collins signing looks like it has good potential.

Like him or not, Wright has been making some great decisions this year.

Now hopefully that Thad deal gets done. Maybe package Tomas/white and Thad for another collins.

Or Thad for another second and jalen. Get something for him please.

LeBowen
02-09-2022, 04:53 PM

I think they have some mediocre offers for Thad, but don't want to pull the trigger until the deadline just in case somene panic offers a first rounder.
Second+Jalen is most likely.

Mnky
02-09-2022, 04:56 PM
I think they have some mediocre offers for Thad, but don't want to pull the trigger until the deadline just in case somene panic offers a first rounder.
Second+Jalen is most likely.

I'm hoping that's the case as well. People shouldn't sleep on the 2nds worth. With the spurs and their lineage of overseas connections,tl they could definitely get a kid to commit to the draft early with a promise if they think they'll develop long term before their price rises.

Just the same, trades are completed with those filler picks.

Second rounders are more useful than they used to be.

Joseph Kony
02-09-2022, 05:02 PM
Thad, Tomas, and White for Beal works :)

crofl. why not just trade them for Durant? Or Giannis? Maybe Embiid?

Chinook
02-09-2022, 05:06 PM

Beal is out for the season at least. If he wanted to sign with SA, the Spurs could get him for nothing. It could make sense for both sides to do a deal. Washington get something and SA maintains their MLE and tanks harder for a high pick.

Of course, I don't think either Beal or SA wants to be together.

gospursgojas
02-09-2022, 05:14 PM

Bc none of those guys want out like Beal does.

Leetonidas
02-09-2022, 05:16 PM
There have been no indications Beal wants out though. And again, a number of teams could beat that offer. Spurs aren't turning their scraps into an all star level player:lol we aren't the Lakers tbh

Excessive Egotist
02-09-2022, 05:17 PM
Beal is out for the season at least. If he wanted to sign with SA, the Spurs could get him for nothing. It could make sense for both sides to do a deal. Washington get something and SA maintains their MLE and tanks harder for a high pick.

Of course, I don't think either Beal or SA wants to be together.

Agreed. It would seem San Antonio will try to acquire major pieces who are now between 17-25 years old. The 17 and 18 year olds are the '22 and '23 lottery picks. Basically, a timeline between forthcoming lottery picks and DJ.

offset formation
02-09-2022, 05:30 PM
Financial. I’ll be there could be some cash coming, too.

Utah trying to wiggle further towards the tax line.

BTW, we’ve now obtained two SRPs for Bryn Forbes.

Overwhelming odds are that neither one of those picks is in the NBA 3 yrs after being drafted. Not sure why peeps seem so pleased we're stocking up on SRPs. OKC tanked and they have like 10 FRPs.

This is not a positive haul, even for Bryn.

slick'81
02-09-2022, 05:33 PM
Overwhelming odds are that neither one of those picks is in the NBA 3 yrs after being drafted. Not sure why peeps seem so pleased we're stocking up on SRPs. OKC tanked and they have like 10 FRPs.

This is not a positive haul, even for Bryn.

we both know even a couple of 2rp's for bryn is kool

offset formation
02-09-2022, 05:34 PM
I figured the forbes signing was a trade bait signing. I was happy with getting a free second. Wright got two free seconds for basically nothing by just signing and holding on to Forbes until the right time. Primo pick looks good and the collins signing looks like it has good potential.

Like him or not, Wright has been making some great decisions this year.

Now hopefully that Thad deal gets done. Maybe package Tomas/white and Thad for another collins.

Is it great tho, if those picks turn into nothing whatsoever positive on the court? So Bryn netted two SRPs? Time will tell what players come from it, but history says we'll get nothing from it. And perhaps if Luka shakes out we signed Bryn at the expense of Luka's spot for 2 SRPs.

EITHER way, it's most likely a nothingburger.

CGD
02-09-2022, 05:48 PM
Is it great tho, if those picks turn into nothing whatsoever positive on the court? So Bryn netted two SRPs? Time will tell what players come from it, but history says we'll get nothing from it. And perhaps if Luka shakes out we signed Bryn at the expense of Luka's spot for 2 SRPs.

EITHER way, it's most likely a nothingburger.

Not an unreasonable take, but the picks are mostly ballast in my view. It’s what allows you to dump a Boris Diaw and Tiago when the time is right. Or, as we see with all these crazy conditions in them, they can be upgraded via “best of” swaps that end up leading to things like spurs having the DET pick this year.

offset formation
02-09-2022, 05:50 PM
Not an unreasonable take, but the picks are mostly ballast in my view. It’s what allows you to dump a Boris Diaw and Tiago when the time is right. Or, as we see with all these crazy conditions in them, they can be upgraded via “best of” swaps that end up leading to things like spurs having the DET pick this year.

Valid point.

Leetonidas
02-09-2022, 05:54 PM
2nd rounders are valuable, especially to a team that scouts well like SA.

The reigning MVP was a second rounder. Draymond was a 2nd rounder. Van Vleet is an allstar this year and was undrafted. Khris Middleton was the 39th pick and just won a ring as the 2nd banana. Montrez Harrell is another solid 2nd rounder. Then there's older examples like Gasol, I. Thomas, Lou Williams, etc. point is, plenty of talent to be had in the 2nd round. stocking up on 2nd rounders while not really giving up anything is a solid strategy imo

exstatic
02-09-2022, 05:55 PM

Exactly right. They’re a currency. By the time they roll around, WE may need to offload some salary. That’s why I like getting picks in the future, but not trading away future picks. Only the pick from today looks to be nothing special. You never know what they’ll become. I’m sure Utah’s fan base said the same thing when they got our 2022 SRP in the Diaw salary dump in 2016.

3&D_TBH
02-09-2022, 06:01 PM
Looks like signing Bryn was a good move tbh

The Truth #6
02-09-2022, 06:04 PM
I didn’t know Tomas fell off a cliff. Initially, I was thinking intrigued by this trade. Still a solid move, though.

timtonymanu
02-09-2022, 06:25 PM
We couldn’t get Aaron Gordon for Hernangomez :pctoss

bdictjames
02-09-2022, 06:29 PM
Do we have a playmaker with the second unit? Someone to show Primo the ropes? I like this. Satoransky has Spurs written all over him.

offset formation
02-09-2022, 08:43 PM
2nd rounders are valuable, especially to a team that scouts well like SA.

The reigning MVP was a second rounder. Draymond was a 2nd rounder. Van Vleet is an allstar this year and was undrafted. Khris Middleton was the 39th pick and just won a ring as the 2nd banana. Montrez Harrell is another solid 2nd rounder. Then there's older examples like Gasol, I. Thomas, Lou Williams, etc. point is, plenty of talent to be had in the 2nd round. stocking up on 2nd rounders while not really giving up anything is a solid strategy imo

You literally just listed the very rare exceptions to the rule. The math speaks for itself on what the average 2nd round pick becomes.

Ice009
02-09-2022, 08:43 PM
I didn’t know Tomas fell off a cliff. Initially, I was thinking intrigued by this trade. Still a solid move, though.

Was he a good player? I know nothing about him.

slick'81
02-09-2022, 08:46 PM
Was he a good player? I know nothing about him.

he was ok a few years back. Backup at best then and nowadays

paperboy77
02-09-2022, 09:19 PM
Honestly always thought this guy was a pretty good player would have liked if we picked him up. Can't exactly remember the situation but feeling disappointed we hadn't acquired him.

We'll see how this all fits in to their plan.

R. DeMurre
02-10-2022, 12:50 AM
You literally just listed the very rare exceptions to the rule. The math speaks for itself on what the average 2nd round pick becomes.

I think that's the point of accumulating them though-- if you get one legit guy out of five, it's worth it. There's almost no risk and no financial drawbacks. There are some effective guys playing now that are 2nd rounders: Herb Jones, Daniel Gafford, Nic Claxton, Xavier Tillman, Terance Mann, Jalen Brunson, Jarred Vanderbilt, Mitchell Robinson, Isaiah Hartenstein. I think Paul Reed will become a decent bench player eventually too.

Maddog
02-10-2022, 06:56 AM
Looks like signing Bryn was a good move tbh

Essentially got two second round picks for him

exstatic
02-10-2022, 07:40 AM
I think that's the point of accumulating them though-- if you get one legit guy out of five, it's worth it. There's almost no risk and no financial drawbacks. There are some effective guys playing now that are 2nd rounders: Herb Jones, Daniel Gafford, Nic Claxton, Xavier Tillman, Terance Mann, Jalen Brunson, Jarred Vanderbilt, Mitchell Robinson, Isaiah Hartenstein. I think Paul Reed will become a decent bench player eventually too.

KBD, Tre…

BTW, I’d love it if we were the mystery 5th team in the Harden/Simmons trade, and Reed was the asset. Watched him in the Gubble last year as a rook, and he can play. He just has that vibe like Primo, where you just know that they understand the flow of the game.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
02-10-2022, 08:33 AM
it bears repeating:

forbes for 2 second-rounders? :wow :pop: :wow

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-10-2022, 09:19 AM
Nice to see Wright do something competent for a change.

Atl Spur
02-10-2022, 09:58 AM

Looking for some attention:). Happy trade deadline day!!!

Atl Spur
02-10-2022, 09:58 AM

Looking for some attention:). Happy trade deadline day!!!

KingKev
02-10-2022, 10:19 AM

Let’s see if he can put his big boy pants on in the next 6 months and actually materially improving this roster or our future!