PDA

View Full Version : The Shakespearean theater of Romeo Langford

callo1
02-10-2022, 05:35 PM
I am in the audience...front row seat!!

callo1
02-10-2022, 05:37 PM
This kid has upside...can drain 3pt shot.

R. DeMurre
02-10-2022, 05:40 PM
The Globe of Romeo.

ceperez
02-10-2022, 05:56 PM
Is this the guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m97ZPknqozU

ceperez
02-10-2022, 06:02 PM
What happened to him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGvNpNp3Kxk

Mr. Body
02-10-2022, 06:09 PM
The fact that he's turned into a good defender suggests he wants to stay in the league. But Boston seemed to play him because they had to.

ceperez
02-10-2022, 06:12 PM
At 22, he's a year younger than Walker IV.

slick'81
02-10-2022, 06:53 PM
I know nothing about this guy. Maybe spurs can salvage something?

exstatic
02-10-2022, 07:01 PM
This kid has upside...can drain 3pt shot.

He’s just started to hit a decent percentage (35%) but still takes fewer than 2 attempts/game

Seems to show maybe some 3/D potential.

RC_Drunkford
02-10-2022, 07:23 PM
He was injured a lot and didn't get much playing time cause Boston runs an 8-man rotation. Plays some good D. Had scoring potential coming into the draft, but it somehow didn't translate. He can turn into something if he gets a consistent role.

Russ
02-10-2022, 08:54 PM
Another Spurs reclamation project? Bruce Bowen? Danny Green?

Failed prospects on the rebound are always intriguing. One of the few ways to get value in this day and age.

Mnky
02-10-2022, 10:16 PM
He has been held back the last couple seasons from injury. He had a wrist issue than a knee and ankle issue. More health issues than Derrick white, however a more athletic Derrick white when healthy. Kid has sneaky athleticism if he is able to get back to his former self.

He is underrated on the defensive side. They would play him sometimes just to put a body on the opponents hot player. His reach is kawhi like in that defenders do not expect it and he often takes advantage of it. Willing to get dunked on making a block attempt at the rim. Good hassle and understands the game. Saw him make some very high level defensive plays, but he does like to gamble Ala Vassell and sometimes those gambles stick out more then the rest of his defense.

Shows an ability to get to the rim but seems awkward and undecisive.
His shot looks much improved and his release is different from when he first got to the league. Much quicker now.

He could be a diamond in the rough. Definitely worth a gamble as he has the potential to be a mix of white and danny green as a 3 and D type player. He's only 22 and could easily be molded at this point by the spurs development process still.

I don't know about his drive and mindset though. Definitely got "chunkier" during his recovery. Doesn't have that same athletic build he used to and I'm not sure how much is just the recovery process or his mindset and effort.

I love the potential though. Definitely want to see what the spurs can do with him. Could end up being the best part of this trade, could end up being an afterthought. Exciting development to keep an eye on.

Dverde
02-10-2022, 10:18 PM
He’s basically Boston’s Lonnie Walker IV. Possible a team change can defrost the potential, but not likely. Definitely worth kicking the tires and see how he responds.

slick'81
02-10-2022, 10:20 PM

Failed prospects on the rebound are always intriguing. One of the few ways to get value in this day and age.

bruce was definitely not a failed prospect though. He was pretty good in miami

ceperez
02-10-2022, 10:23 PM
He has been held back the last couple seasons from injury. He had a wrist issue than a knee and ankle issue. More health issues than Derrick white, however a more athletic Derrick white when healthy. Kid has sneaky athleticism if he is able to get back to his former self.

He is underrated on the defensive side. They would play him sometimes just to put a body on the opponents hot player. His reach is kawhi like in that defenders do not expect it and he often takes advantage of it. Willing to get dunked on making a block attempt at the rim. Good hassle and understands the game. Saw him make some very high level defensive plays, but he does like to gamble Ala Vassell and sometimes those gambles stick out more then the rest of his defense.

Shows an ability to get to the rim but seems awkward and undecisive.
His shot looks much improved and his release is different from when he first got to the league. Much quicker now.

He could be a diamond in the rough. Definitely worth a gamble as he has the potential to be a mix of white and danny green as a 3 and D type player. He's only 22 and could easily be molded at this point by the spurs development process still.

I don't know about his drive and mindset though. Definitely got "chunkier" during his recovery. Doesn't have that same athletic build he used to and I'm not sure how much is just the recovery process or his mindset and effort.

I love the potential though. Definitely want to see what the spurs can do with him. Could end up being the best part of this trade, could end up being an afterthought. Exciting development to keep an eye on.

Yeah, he seems a lot heavier today. Could be lack of conditioning which is a bad sign! Someone at 22 shouldn't look that way.

couchman
02-10-2022, 10:58 PM
I foresee a lot of G league time for this Romeo

Russ
02-10-2022, 11:41 PM

Maybe. But Pat Riley said Bowen was the worst starting forward in the NBA his last year in Miami (perhaps only to justify Miami's not resigning him).

MarCowMar
02-11-2022, 12:37 AM
He looks like he has a lot of instinctive talent and creativity. Seems to love contact at the rim (very Manu like in that respect). I'd rather develop someone like him than Lonnie (who shies from contact).

Our record is very good at fixing players like this later in their career: Bowen, Jackson, Green, Simmons.

Celtics forum seems mostly down on him though. I guess he's another Lonnie Walker.

"One of the worst Celtics in recent memory. He and Yabusele combined don’t even make a whole NBA player."

"I am excited to see if Romeo can revive his career in San Antonio. It is shocking to me how much confidence has lost in his offensive game since entering the NBA. That was supposed to be the strong-point of his game. It would be great if he could get it together. I like the way he (used to) drives the ball."

"I still think Romeo is a good player and if he's actually given 25 mpg he will show it. The c's weren't going to resign him"

"Stevens complete lack of disregard for our bench guys is refreshing. He basically said these guys are all useless and we can get 5 guys off the buyout market that can serve the same purpose. Might as well package them with future picks to get two useful guys. It's about [dang] time."

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=106025.0

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=105760.0

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=105227.0

RC_Drunkford
02-11-2022, 02:07 AM
https://youtu.be/TVW2zzd_L4k

spurs1990
02-11-2022, 02:54 AM

Patty Mills. I remember thinking wtf was this guy when they signed him off the scrap heap towards the end of 2012 season. Him, Diaw, and Stephen Jackson then led Spurs to two straight finals

tbdog
02-11-2022, 03:09 AM
He is a type of player that you want when trading assets during a rebuild. He is cheap, under team control for years. Has an NBA body and talent to grow. These are the flyers you want to have a look at. Luka didn't work out and was drafted a few places after.

duncan2150
02-11-2022, 03:19 AM
One of my favorite prospect predraft a few years ago. He has the potential to be a good player, imo the injuries killed him from Indiana University to Boston.

A good project for a team with good size 6'6 with a 6'11 wingspan and some tools to develop.

Philthemage
02-11-2022, 05:52 AM
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisgrenham/2020/04/20/how-celtics-romeo-langford-became-the-hometown-hero-of-new-albany-indiana/

Seems like a Spurs type of guy

ceperez
02-11-2022, 06:19 AM

That's decent defense against James. I don't think Spurs have anyone in the roster to stop James. The only guy with length is KBD but isn't heavy enough.

ceperez
02-11-2022, 06:21 AM
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisgrenham/2020/04/20/how-celtics-romeo-langford-became-the-hometown-hero-of-new-albany-indiana/

Seems like a Spurs type of guy

Yeah, let's hope the Spurs low key environment allows this 22 year old the room to flourish.

He's a small town kid that didn't even move out of state. So maybe Boston wasn't the place for him.

Maddog
02-11-2022, 07:12 AM
https://www.si.com/nba/2019/06/20/nba-mock-draft-trade-rumors-pelicans-grizzlies-knicks-hawks

Romeo Langford
SG | Indiana | Freshman
San Antonio Spurs
San Antonio Spurs
If Langford bounces back after an uneven freshman season, he could certainly return value at this spot in the draft. He could be selected higher than this, but it won’t be a total shocker if he does fall a bit, as teams seem to be having some trouble talking themselves into him to a point, and there are players who we have slated ahead of him who are viewed as safer options. The Spurs are thought to be using this pick in attempts to move up in the draft. Two names that have come up frequently for San Antonio as targets in that case are Goga Bitadze and Rui Hachimura.

Langford played through injuries during the season and does have a strong long-term track record as a scorer, and he’s positioned as a buy-low opportunity for someone. It’s just that he has no true elite skill to sell right now. His jumper remains a big question, and he has to improve his game off the dribble, but there’s still a good chance he’s better than what he showed at Indiana. This would a low cost, substantial upside pick here.

He's been underwhelming as a pro
16 points 9 Rebounds and 4 assists
Those are his career highs in 94 games.

Atl Spur
02-11-2022, 07:14 AM
The tools are there, let’s see if we can develop him. Dribble pass shoot defend….. hopefully he gets it together and is smart/mentally tough!

Atl Spur
02-11-2022, 07:39 AM
He wasn’t scared to compete…a great sign!

CGD
02-11-2022, 08:21 AM
Hopefully it’s the change of scenery, but I also wouldn’t get my hopes up. Could be another Lonnie case of oozing talent/confidence problems.

ceperez
02-11-2022, 08:29 AM
Hopefully it’s the change of scenery, but I also wouldn’t get my hopes up. Could be another Lonnie case of oozing talent/confidence problems.

The problem I have with Lonnie is that he looks undersized for the game. He's listed at 6'4" but he seems even shorter. He's got a 6'10" wingspan but it doesn't seem to translate in defense. Murray has the same measurements but looks a lot bigger on the court.

Manu-of-steel
02-11-2022, 08:40 AM
Romeo has good defensive instinct and able to draw charges just like DW. Of course, Romeo is taller. Hope he pans out and be our 3 and D

Dejounte
02-11-2022, 08:43 AM
Romeo’s competition is Vassell in the rotation and he’s not playing over Vassell.

Atl Spur
02-11-2022, 08:54 AM
I just want him to compete and play smart

Atl Spur
02-11-2022, 08:55 AM
Lonnie can’t dribble….he can

exstatic
02-11-2022, 08:55 AM

He bounced around for a bit before that Miami year where he made All D. He was THIRTY when the Spurs signed him.

YoungbuckMurray
02-11-2022, 08:57 AM
From highlights it looks like he can guard some of those big wing type guys. So maybe he fits into the 3/4 spots as opposed to the 2/3. I could be wrong on this tho

The Truth #6
02-11-2022, 08:58 AM
Romeo is our new Lonnie it looks like. But maybe plays better D.

exstatic
02-11-2022, 09:02 AM
Romeo has good defensive instinct and able to draw charges just like DW. Of course, Romeo is taller. Hope he pans out and be our 3 and D

bbref list him as 6’4”, so, not really.

I think people could be pleased with him if they dial back their expectations. He’s probably past the point where he’s going to put it all together, and really shine, but he has massive potential as a high level 3 and D guy. He’s already improved his shot, and working with Chip can only move that along further.

His misfortune was leaving Indiana too early, and being drafted by a team that was in the midst of successive deep playoff runs, with little time to develop young players.

RC_Drunkford
02-11-2022, 09:11 AM
I think Pop should try to give him some consistent minutes for the rest of the season. He never really got that chance. Spurs are great at putting players in roles and I think he could flourish if you tell him to just shoot open 3s and defend out there

ceperez
02-11-2022, 09:16 AM
I think Pop should try to give him some consistent minutes for the rest of the season. He never really got that chance. Spurs are great at putting players in roles and I think he could flourish if you tell him to just shoot open 3s and defend out there

Does he still qualify for G-league action?

John B
02-11-2022, 09:37 AM

Oh man this kid was a rookie here? He has great defensive instincts and busy hands, very Bowen-esque. He uses his long 6’11” reach very well and great stance. Pop is going to love this kid if he plays this kind of defense. Yeah, already he’s ahead of Lonnie in D if I’m just basing off this highlight. He was a rookie here? Damn, Ime could be gifting us with this kid.

Ocotillo
02-11-2022, 10:14 AM
He's from Indiana (not just IU, but the state) as is Pop. George Hill was an Indiana kid too. Here's to hoping there is some magic in the similarity of background.

The Truth #6
02-11-2022, 10:24 AM
He's from Indiana (not just IU, but the state) as is Pop. George Hill was an Indiana kid too. Here's to hoping there is some magic in the similarity of background.

Maybe, right? His career didn’t take off, so maybe he’s “gotten over himself”.

Atl Spur
02-11-2022, 10:47 AM
I try to always remain optimistic and place limitations on a player ability to grow mentally / skill wise . Romeo you r up����

B1gduff
02-11-2022, 12:31 PM
Langford is about 6'5/6 but has a big windspan at around 6'10. With Him and Richardson we greatly improve our defense. Its also allows us rest Dejounte, in which Dejounte won't need to guard the opposite best player.

Dj: can guard 1/2s
Richardson: 1-3
Langsford: 2/3 (Some 4s, he did a really good job in 2020guarding tobias)
Vasell:2-4
Keldon: 3/4
Primo: 1-3 (Some 3s)
Lonnie: 1-2 (hopefully, he's shown improvments)

John B
02-11-2022, 12:48 PM
These are the kinds of perimeter defense you put on Curry/Thompson 5 years ago. Moving forward, we always had problems with containing athletic guards (like everybody else, but somehow I thought Spurs would do better), Ja, SGA, Haliburton, even Poole who seem to all have career highs against us.

So yeah Langford >>>> Lonnie defending those guards, and even giving DJ a break. Primo is more like 2/3 and quite slow against 1. Vassell 1-3. But Langford seems to be the 2nd best defender on athletic 1 (just basing off from highlights I’ve seen, hopefully accurate). That would really give him a good upside specially with Pop who loves players going head-over-heels on D.

Mnky
02-11-2022, 11:00 PM
From highlights it looks like he can guard some of those big wing type guys. So maybe he fits into the 3/4 spots as opposed to the 2/3. I could be wrong on this tho

He can guard 1-3 and some 4s. His natural athleticism and reach allows him to hold his ground against quite a few bigger players. Has a lot of range on the defensive side. Perfect for today's game of switching so much on offense.

Mnky
02-11-2022, 11:04 PM
bbref list him as 6’4”, so, not really.

I think people could be pleased with him if they dial back their expectations. He’s probably past the point where he’s going to put it all together, and really shine, but he has massive potential as a high level 3 and D guy. He’s already improved his shot, and working with Chip can only move that along further.

His misfortune was leaving Indiana too early, and being drafted by a team that was in the midst of successive deep playoff runs, with little time to develop young players.

A development, but he's 22. Younger than most draft picks coming out. Some of the best turn around stories in spurs history were all older players. Age has very little to do with development.

XDT76
02-11-2022, 11:08 PM
The problem I have with Lonnie is that he looks undersized for the game. He's listed at 6'4" but he seems even shorter. He's got a 6'10" wingspan but it doesn't seem to translate in defense. Murray has the same measurements but looks a lot bigger on the court.

I might be wrong but JP looks to be not bigger than Trae in the game today. All the measurements are inaccurate and needs to take with a pinch of salt.

ivanfromwestwood
10-10-2022, 04:32 PM
Not impressed so far.

rjv
10-10-2022, 04:36 PM
won't be long before we're saying "O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?"

Chinook
10-10-2022, 04:36 PM
Starting to feel like SA should've gotten an additional second to take him. Boston had no business picking up that option.

exstatic
10-10-2022, 04:40 PM
Starting to feel like SA should've gotten an additional second to take him. Boston had no business picking up that option.

They shouldn’t have drafted him. Boston should have flipped the pick, kicking it down the road. They drafted a player who would be stuck behind Smart, Brown, and Tatum. There was no way he could develop.

KingKev
10-10-2022, 04:43 PM
They shouldn’t have drafted him. Boston should have flipped the pick, kicking it down the road. They drafted a player who would be stuck behind Smart, Brown, and Tatum. There was no way he could develop.

Feels like it was more to the story.

He looks hopeless out there and disengaged.

Leetonidas
10-10-2022, 04:53 PM
This dude is invisible out there. It doesn't even seem like he wants to play basketball:lol

CGD
10-10-2022, 05:43 PM
But but all those Boston assets!!!

Hoping they flip his expiring for a bigger contract and a small pick from a team in need of relief. Like Shatmat and a pick for Romeo

KingKev
10-10-2022, 05:53 PM

Hoping they flip his expiring for a bigger contract and a small pick from a team in need of relief. Like Shatmat and a pick for Romeo

D White and J Rich are basically equal so it was still a nice trade. Langford always was a throw in.

Chinook
10-10-2022, 07:13 PM

There's no guarantee that anyone wanted that pick. Moreover, there were good players the Celtics could have drafted. They traded away Thybulle and drafted Williams. It's hindsight that Boston should've picked someone else, though it's not hindsight that Boston found themselves in a bind after not being able to get rid of their "warchest" of picks. They ended up pissing away a lot of them on bad players or on trades that netting other teams the better players (Thybulle, Bane are examples).

Chinook
10-10-2022, 07:13 PM

The Spurs can just take Shamet into cap space. They need to just cut Langford and not get rid of a better player who seems to care more.

jjspur
10-11-2022, 02:17 PM
Langford was outplayed by Khuse and that guy was cut. Doesn't seem to give a crap about playing well at all. With any luck/common sense Langford will be cut next. Next stop, somewhere in the China league with all those other washed up NBA players.

BillMc
10-11-2022, 02:28 PM
Where for art thou Romeo?

Seventyniner
10-11-2022, 02:31 PM
The Spurs were willing to cut Samanic. Langford's only value was in his contract for trade purposes, but with the Spurs not having used their cap space the roster spot is worth more.

CGD
10-11-2022, 03:26 PM
D White and J Rich are basically equal so it was still a n trade. Langford always was a throw in.

Absolutely. I was referring to earlier when people busting nuts about that stretch where Ainge was accumulating assets like crazy. Basically everyone was showering them with praise for that Tatum trade when, basically, all that move netted them was the extra pick that became Romeo (IIRC).

CGD
10-11-2022, 03:32 PM
The Spurs can just take Shamet into cap space. They need to just cut Langford and not get rid of a better player who seems to care more.

Youre right. I was just thinking about how the team could salvage some value from Romeo, but perhaps that’s too much to ask.

slick'81
10-11-2022, 05:57 PM
Bum is done. Get rid of him

Chinook
10-11-2022, 10:23 PM
He looked like he cared in the small bit I was able to catch tonight. He played better than Wieskamp ever has. I don't see a realistic path to him getting minutes or a role on the team right now, though. At least theoretically the team will always be interested in shooters.

John B
10-11-2022, 10:44 PM
He looked like he cared in the small bit I was able to catch tonight. He played better than Wieskamp ever has. I don't see a realistic path to him getting minutes or a role on the team right now, though. At least theoretically the team will always be interested in shooters.

He got 11 pts in 14 minutes, against Utah's 3rd stringers though. But Romeo pretty much kept the Spurs from Jazz last quarter come back.

Has he shown enough to get a 2nd look. But it's Romeo or KBD and right now KBD is ahead by a mile. Is there any chance the Spurs will keep Langford?

Chinook
10-11-2022, 10:49 PM
He got 11 pts in 14 minutes, against Utah's 3rd stringers though. But Romeo pretty much kept the Spurs from Jazz last quarter come back.

Has he shown enough to get a 2nd look. But it's Romeo or KBD and right now KBD is ahead by a mile. Is there any chance the Spurs will keep Langford?

I don't see why the Spurs would keep Langford over KBD unless Romeo is a completely different player in practices. He's just worst at KBD than anything and would likely cost more to keep given his QO. I don't think Wieskamp has shown any reason to keep him, though. Like I'm getting to the point where I'd rather see the team keep 14 guys than keeping Wieskamp. But maybe he's also practicing really well and is on the cusp of a turnaround.

slick'81
10-11-2022, 10:55 PM
Hell probably fade back to irrelevance bit at least hes showing signs of life here

scott
10-12-2022, 07:14 PM
I don't see why the Spurs would keep Langford over KBD unless Romeo is a completely different player in practices. He's just worst at KBD than anything and would likely cost more to keep given his QO. I don't think Wieskamp has shown any reason to keep him, though. Like I'm getting to the point where I'd rather see the team keep 14 guys than keeping Wieskamp. But maybe he's also practicing really well and is on the cusp of a turnaround.

Still pretty bummed we passed on Charles Bassey for Wieskamp. Not suggesting Bassey is lighting the world on fire, but at least he'd be a project worth developing at a position where we don't already have 5 other projects worth developing.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-13-2022, 12:06 AM

The Wieskamp contract is the head scratcher for me.

duncan2150
10-13-2022, 04:15 AM
The Wieskamp contract is the head scratcher for me.

Only 500.00 guaranteed next season, easy to cut imo

KingKev
10-13-2022, 05:11 AM
Only 500.00 guaranteed next season, easy to cut imo

But giving him guaranteed money > than his QO of 1.8mm for 2022-23 when he is possibly going to be cut is a tad strange. Can’t imagine he had a better offer away.

The Truth #6
10-13-2022, 05:12 AM
I’m not expecting much from Lil Weezy or Romeo for individual reasons. But Romeo is the obvious one to keep if he can play like that at least occasionally.

KingKev
10-13-2022, 05:16 AM
Just throwing shit on the wall but Langford might be good with getting waived, taking his 5mm guaranteed and looking for a better situation.

Got the sense he has never wanted to be here.

rankingtear
10-13-2022, 06:50 AM
I’m not expecting much from Lil Weezy or Romeo for individual reasons. But Romeo is the obvious one to keep if he can play like that at least occasionally.

Both likely out of the rotation so I just take the guy who won't pout on the bench and would at least try in practice.

exstatic
10-13-2022, 09:04 AM
Still pretty bummed we passed on Charles Bassey for Wieskamp. Not suggesting Bassey is lighting the world on fire, but at least he'd be a project worth developing at a position where we don't already have 5 other projects worth developing.

Breaking: Philly just cut Bassey, and they’re a team that runs some inside out action for Embiid.

scott
10-13-2022, 05:38 PM
Breaking: Philly just cut Bassey, and they’re a team that runs some inside out action for Embiid.

Bummer. Been rooting for him since his infamous 1-year stint at my alma mater in San Antonio. Was amazed that he only grew an extra inch since his freshman year of HS

Joseph Kony
02-12-2023, 03:18 PM
so what's up with this dude? I legit forget he is even on the team most of the time :lol every time he plays he has some random injury and then he's out forever it seems like

Ocotillo
02-12-2023, 05:37 PM
That probably ends up being the end of the road for him, he is always hurt. He shows something here and there but spends more time on IR than the active roster.

Ice009
02-13-2023, 12:58 AM
I still want to give him more of a chance. I think he's got some real potential on the defensive end and to a lesser extent on offense. I wonder how the Spurs rate him?

wildbill2u
02-13-2023, 01:11 AM
Your grandmother will normally never give up on you no matter how bad you fuck up. Romeo's grandmother would cut this guy.

Rocalcio
02-13-2023, 02:55 AM
Your grandmother will normally never give up on you no matter how bad you fuck up. Romeo's grandmother would cut this guy.

He’s been good the last times he played.

Maddog
02-13-2023, 06:37 AM

Which is now bordering on 3 weeks

jjspur
02-13-2023, 11:27 AM

Langford has had a few "good" games , a few bad games, but he's injured most of the time. I think that's why the celtics decided to include him in last year's trade. The spurs may be be in the same boat now. Show us something more or its adios buddy.

Rocalcio
02-13-2023, 02:39 PM
Langford has had a few "good" games , a few bad games, but he's injured most of the time. I think that's why the celtics decided to include him in last year's trade. The spurs may be be in the same boat now. Show us something more or its adios buddy.

He’s been listed as « game time decision » for at least the last 3 games, so I believe he’s ok now, maybe the staff just want to give other players some playing time.

spurraider21
02-13-2023, 02:46 PM
so what's up with this dude? I legit forget he is even on the team most of the time :lol every time he plays he has some random injury and then he's out forever it seems like
a guard that cant shoot needs to be pretty damn remarkable in other facets of his game to make up for it. dont think he does so. he can probably survive in lineups with a shooter like graham at point and spacing centers like dieng/collins though

Mr. Body
05-19-2023, 11:12 AM
"Hey, guys? I hope you're doing great. I'm doing great! Can I still play with you guys?"

RC_Drunkford
05-19-2023, 11:31 AM
Nope

Ariel
05-19-2023, 12:02 PM
Time's up. Roster spot is more valuable. Good luck though.

slick'81
05-19-2023, 12:03 PM
Dont need him anymore but inguess theres always training camp

GAustex
05-19-2023, 12:05 PM
Miss Cleo always been high on him
And Primo too

Robz4000
05-19-2023, 12:19 PM
We're trading him to Europe for Wemby tbh.

offset formation
05-19-2023, 12:28 PM
I'm probably the outlier here but I love his game. He's one of our better perimeter defense guys and that's desperately needed.

Leetonidas
05-19-2023, 12:31 PM
I'm probably the outlier here but I love his game. He's one of our better perimeter defense guys and that's desperately needed.

Being a great perimeter defender doesn't mean much when you can't stay on the court. Guy plays one game then is out for 10 with some random injury like clockwork. He is a good defender but not sure it's worth taking up a roster spot

John B
05-19-2023, 12:52 PM
Being a great perimeter defender doesn't mean much when you can't stay on the court. Guy plays one game then is out for 10 with some random injury like clockwork. He is a good defender but not sure it's worth taking up a roster spot

The thing is you can’t really based injury history from last year. Spurs got so many mystery injuries wink wink

It’s his inconsistencies for me. One game he’s awesome followed by two games of zero points. It drives me nuts. Because I like his athleticism and defense when his head is in the game. He could be Spurs lockdown perimeter defender if only he shows up every game.

Joseph Kony
05-19-2023, 12:54 PM
The thing is you can’t really based injury history from last year. Spurs got so many mystery injuries wink wink

It’s his inconsistencies for me. One game he’s awesome followed by two games of zero points. It drives me nuts. Because I like his athleticism and defense when his head is in the game. He could be Spurs lockdown perimeter defender if only he shows up everybgame.

Spurs sitting out their starters is one thing, but you don't hold Romeo fuckin Langford out because you think him playing might win you the game :lol dude is just made of glass, some issues when he got here in '22 and the entirety of his time in Boston. I'd pass on re-signing him

spurraider21
05-19-2023, 01:06 PM
he's gonna be renounced pretty quickly. his cap hold is about 17 million.

offset formation
05-19-2023, 01:50 PM
he's gonna be renounced pretty quickly. his cap hold is about 17 million.

Well it's use it or lose it now on the cap space. And we had 50M going into this year. I'm sure you're right, they will release him but I'm not sure his cap hold would be that much, plus whatever it is would only hold up until he signed his new contract. And it wouldn't be for 17M. Maybe 12M if they see him being a first guy off the bench option.

Stump
05-19-2023, 01:50 PM
I'd tell him to look for a deal elsewhere. If he can't find anything, give him a minimum contract with $50K guaranteed and let him fight it out in training camp.

slick'81
05-19-2023, 01:56 PM
Hes owed 17 mil?! Yea,hell be a fa

spurraider21
05-19-2023, 02:10 PM
Well it's use it or lose it now on the cap space. And we had 50M going into this year. I'm sure you're right, they will release him but I'm not sure his cap hold would be that much, plus whatever it is would only hold up until he signed his new contract. And it wouldn't be for 17M. Maybe 12M if they see him being a first guy off the bench option.
its not a question of releasing him. he is a free agent. and his cap hold right now is 17mil, at least according to spotrac

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/san-antonio-spurs/cap/

and yes, the cap hold would be replaced by the new cap number if they agree to a new deal. i just dont think he's worth bringing back, personally. if they pay langford 12 mil per year, then wemby should instantly demand a trade

Rocalcio
05-19-2023, 03:23 PM

I like him too, I’d be happy if he stayed.

offset formation
05-19-2023, 04:47 PM
its not a question of releasing him. he is a free agent. and his cap hold right now is 17mil, at least according to spotrac

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/san-antonio-spurs/cap/

and yes, the cap hold would be replaced by the new cap number if they agree to a new deal. i just dont think he's worth bringing back, personally. if they pay langford 12 mil per year, then wemby should instantly demand a trade

His cap hold is meaningless whether it's 17 or whatever. We have 50+M. And as I stated above and you acknowledge, his new contract would replace that hold once signed. It would be more problematic if the team had less available. And it also depends on the order they sign people.

And, I'd think that'd be the ceiling. He currently gets just under 6M. But Devontae Graham is making 12M the next 2 years. Somewhere less than 12M, ideally closer to 9 or 10, for a guy that when he played, Pop brought him off the bench first or sec ond, isn't a bad deal.

offset formation
05-19-2023, 04:55 PM
Hes owed 17 mil?! Yea,hell be a fa

No. It's the cap hold. And it's meaningless because whatever contract he agreed to would take the place of that hold. And there's no way in he'll the Spurs would keep him at that 17 or whatever the exact figure is. I think he's a keeper closer to 10, given his injury history, for sure, especially since he's one of our better defenders and we just set the all time record for ineptitude there.

BacktoBasics
05-19-2023, 05:03 PM
His cap hold is meaningless whether it's 17 or whatever. We have 50+M. And as I stated above and you acknowledge, his new contract would replace that hold once signed. It would be more problematic if the team had less available. And it also depends on the order they sign people.

And, I'd think that'd be the ceiling. He currently gets just under 6M. But Devontae Graham is making 12M the next 2 years. Somewhere less than 12M, ideally closer to 9 or 10, for a guy that when he played, Pop brought him off the bench first or sec ond, isn't a bad deal.

I don’t have a problem with him as a player. I like his game but 9 million for a guy who can’t stay on the court isn’t something I’m that interested in.

spurraider21
05-19-2023, 05:03 PM

the spurs currently have 10 guys under contract, and wembanyama makes 11. meaning other than two-way guys (possibly both barlow and champagnie coming back), we can only add 4 players.

if we trade up from 33, that would make 12. otherwise, the 2nd rounder taken at 33 might be fighting for one of those two-way spots if he's not on the roster.

assuming we dont draft anybody else in the first, i dont know if between Tre Jones, Mamu, KBD, and the free agent market, that Romeo is really one of the guys they want taking up a roster spot. maybe im wrong, i just dont see the appeal. im operating under the assumption that there wont be interest in retaining him, and therefore they're probably just going to end up renouncing him fairly quickly to make room for 1-2 FA signings (or just leaving a roster spot open to take on a contract from another team)

offset formation
05-19-2023, 05:11 PM
the spurs currently have 10 guys under contract, and wembanyama makes 11. meaning other than two-way guys (possibly both barlow and champagnie coming back), we can only add 4 players.

if we trade up from 33, that would make 12. otherwise, the 2nd rounder taken at 33 might be fighting for one of those two-way spots if he's not on the roster.

assuming we dont draft anybody else in the first, i dont know if between Tre Jones, Mamu, KBD, and the free agent market, that Romeo is really one of the guys they want taking up a roster spot. maybe im wrong, i just dont see the appeal. im operating under the assumption that there wont be interest in retaining him, and therefore they're probably just going to end up renouncing him fairly quickly to make room for 1-2 FA signings (or just leaving a roster spot open to take on a contract from another team)

I'd agree that if he can't stay healthy he's not worth it. But man he looked good when he was healthy and got to play 25+min. He's smooth. Makes nice drives to the bucket. Has 3 level scoring potential. I would hate to lose KBD. I think Mamu offers intriguing upside. And I like Tre's game but he'd probably be the odd man out for me, given Graham's contract guarantees for the next 2 years. And we have Blake and will undoubtedly go after a PG with our 2nd pick, whether it's moving back into the 1st or in the 2nd round.

spurraider21
05-19-2023, 05:16 PM
I'd agree that if he can't stay healthy he's not worth it. But man he looked good when he was healthy and got to play 25+min. He's smooth. Makes nice drives to the bucket. Has 3 level scoring potential. I would hate to lose KBD. I think Mamu offers intriguing upside. And I like Tre's game but he'd probably be the odd man out for me, given Graham's contract guarantees for the next 2 years. And we have Blake and will undoubtedly go after a PG with our 2nd pick, whether it's moving back into the 1st or in the 2nd round.
Graham is fully guaranteed for this coming season, but only 2.8 mil in 24-25. he's almost certainly going to be waived at that point, so he's effectively on an expiring deal. im also not letting Wesley's presence dictate PG moves until we know what he is. the PG market is pretty barren this offseason. Tre has limitations for sure, but im not really seeing anybody better out there when factoring in potential costs. id give Tre a deal with the expectation that Graham isnt on the team after this year

RC_Drunkford
05-19-2023, 06:20 PM
Langford is gone, I don't understand why people are even discussing this. He's a minimum salary guy or out of the league

CGD
05-21-2023, 09:17 AM
Peace out. Wish we could have grabbed an asset for him, but not sad either.

GAustex
05-21-2023, 12:44 PM
Miss Cleo gonna be heart broken
First pervert Primo
Now this her love Langford is gone