PDA

View Full Version : The rented bouncey house of Josh Richardson.

callo1
02-10-2022, 05:42 PM
I want to see that 44" vert!

look_at_g_shred
02-10-2022, 05:53 PM
Pause.

ceperez
02-10-2022, 05:54 PM
Is this the same guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E7_GrjEiEc

slick'81
02-10-2022, 06:57 PM
Is this the same guy?

yup. He's pretty much a journeyman now

slick'81
02-10-2022, 06:59 PM
https://youtu.be/6ylyy2j9W8s

RC_Drunkford
02-10-2022, 07:25 PM
Good locker room guy. He's a Spurs fan. Said that in multiple interviews. We also tried to get him last season as there were rumors of a Mills/Richardson trade, but it didn't happen.

He's basically an 80% Derrick White. Plays defense, can playmake, shoot 3s, midrange, get to the line, shoots efficient.

slick'81
02-10-2022, 07:57 PM
Good locker room guy. He's a Spurs fan. Said that in multiple interviews. We also tried to get him last season as there were rumors of a Mills/Richardson trade, but it didn't happen.

He's basically an 80% Derrick White. Plays defense, can playmake, shoot 3s, midrange, get to the line, shoots efficient.

lose a shit ton of playmaking but i agree with everything else

Atl Spur
02-11-2022, 12:07 AM
He is not trash……not a star but more than serviceable!

gospursgojas
02-11-2022, 12:09 AM
Pause.

Lol

ace3g
02-11-2022, 12:27 AM
https://twitter.com/J_Rich1/status/1491978707266949135

John B
02-11-2022, 12:32 AM
Is this the same guy?

Man Spurs just got more exciting to watch. Lonnie should hang out with this guy on how to finish dunks, instead of those double-pump acrobatic layups :lol

MVPCues
02-11-2022, 12:59 AM
I love the dunks, but he will have to stop standing and posing after them or Pop will yank him.

Atl Spur
02-11-2022, 01:05 AM
Pop will love his effort thus giving him some latitude . Josh is a player just not a star

ceperez
02-11-2022, 06:34 AM
Pop will love his effort thus giving him some latitude . Josh is a player just not a star

He's a hustle guy?

Atl Spur
02-11-2022, 06:58 AM
He can and will defend. Hopefully he comes in and get after it!!

dbestpro
02-11-2022, 07:36 AM
He can and will defend. Hopefully he comes in and get after it!!

Defense can be contagious.

Uriel
02-11-2022, 07:39 AM
FWIW, FiveThirtyEight gives Richardson a rating of -2.4. White, by contrast, was +3.1.

cjw
02-11-2022, 09:25 AM
yup. He's pretty much a journeyman now

He’s not a journeyman because he stinks

He’s a journeyman because he’s on an incredibly reasonable contract that made him a huge trade chip:

- He started every game his last two seasons with the Heat (and over four seasons until this year, started all but five games and played 33 mpg)

- He was part of the Jimmy Butler S&T. He was the asset the Sixers wanted or could pry away to salvage something

- Sixers swapped him for Seth Curry given they needed shooting badly considering their former PG can’t make anything outside the restricted area

He’s a perfectly acceptable rotation player. Shoots well enough from three (36-37% range) and rates decently as a defender. I’m not sure what the Spurs do with him - may keep him on ice and move him after the season, or they may actually like him? Who knows.

ceperez
02-11-2022, 09:36 AM
He’s not a journeyman because he stinks

He’s a journeyman because he’s on an incredibly reasonable contract that made him a huge trade chip:

- He started every game his last two seasons with the Heat (and over four seasons until this year, started all but five games and played 33 mpg)

- He was part of the Jimmy Butler S&T. He was the asset the Sixers wanted or could pry away to salvage something

- Sixers swapped him for Seth Curry given they needed shooting badly considering their former PG can’t make anything outside the restricted area

He’s a perfectly acceptable rotation player. Shoots well enough from three (36-37% range) and rates decently as a defender. I’m not sure what the Spurs do with him - may keep him on ice and move him after the season, or they may actually like him? Who knows.

He's yet another decent role player that is competent on both sides of the court. I bet he'll start for the Spurs with Murray, KJ, McDermott and Poetl

John B
02-11-2022, 09:45 AM
https://twitter.com/J_Rich1/status/1491978707266949135

If he loves Pop, then he’s going to work hard to stay on the team. I like Pop to really look at him as he has skills and explosiveness. I think he’s already ahead of Lonnie with how he finishes around the rim. I think our running game just got better with him.

cjw
02-11-2022, 11:02 AM
If he loves Pop, then he’s going to work hard to stay on the team. I like Pop to really look at him as he has skills and explosiveness. I think he’s already ahead of Lonnie with how he finishes around the rim. I think our running game just got better with him.

The Spurs picked up two first rounders and didn’t necessarily wave the white flag on the season in the process. They aren’t outright tanking (I would appreciate a higher pick too) - they’ll be competitive in games and hopefully continue losing tight ones.

look_at_g_shred
02-11-2022, 11:35 AM
This is who PATFO wish Lonnie became. Bye Lonnie.

stephen jackson
02-11-2022, 11:45 AM
I always liked him, reminds me of captain jack, and didn’t know he was a spurs fan even better

Dverde
02-11-2022, 11:50 AM
10684251 (tel:10684251)[/URL]]https://twitter.com/J_Rich1/status/1491978707266949135

Awwww he’s like a rescue who hopes this is his forever home.

exstatic
02-11-2022, 11:51 AM

He’s 28, and nearly a replacement level player occupying roughly $12M in cap space next year. I’d be shocked if he were on the roster after 1 JUL 23. He could be moved as soon as this summer.

Chinook
02-11-2022, 12:08 PM
As much skepticism as I have for Richardson, I think he's more worth his contract than Zach Collins is his. Richardson isn't a good player -- he just looks the part sometimes. That's why he keeps getting moved. I don't want him on the team unless he happens to fit the scheme really well and returns to his Miami productivity. But as a mid-sized expiring who's also a rotation-caliber wing, he'll be the same kind of buoyant ballast Thad was this season. Hopefully Pop gives him a real chance to prove himself, not just for value's sake but also for morale's sake. Guys who want to buy in and compete should get their chances.

Drom John
02-11-2022, 12:48 PM
FiveThirty Eight WAR

249) 0.4 Devontae Cacok, Nic Claxton, Malachi Flynn, De'Aaron Fox, Josh Giddey, Anthony Gill, JaMychal Green, Markus Howard, Bones Hyland, Isaiah Joe, Stanley Johnson, Trey Lyles, Kenyon Martin Jr., Shake Milton, Greg Monroe, Norman Powell, Taurean Prince, Josh Richardson, Terry Taylor, Matt Thomas, Killian Tillie, Lou Williams, Dylan Windler, Justise Winslow

Atl Spur
02-11-2022, 12:57 PM
As much skepticism as I have for Richardson, I think he's more worth his contract than Zach Collins is his. Richardson isn't a good player -- he just looks the part sometimes. That's why he keeps getting moved. I don't want him on the team unless he happens to fit the scheme really well and returns to his Miami productivity. But as a mid-sized expiring who's also a rotation-caliber wing, he'll be the same kind of buoyant ballast Thad was this season. Hopefully Pop gives him a real chance to prove himself, not just for value's sake but also for morale's sake. Guys who want to buy in and compete should get their chances.

Josh is more than serviceable to fill a role players position, he can shoot and defend! That’s his role here….

Atl Spur
02-11-2022, 01:00 PM
Some of you are forgetting our team as it is comprised are full of role players, the key for us is to find that go to pillar. It takes time….

ceperez
02-11-2022, 01:02 PM
He's a 2nd round pick #40 ... the fact that he's still in the NBA means he's an overachiever.

He played for 4 years in college.

In his 4th year with the Heat, he was averaging 16.6 ppg and started the entire season.

His career high is 37 points, against the GSW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f02S-xgvPgs

Oh... his mother was a Lt. Col. in the USAF.

He plays classical piano!

Sounds to me like he's a Spurs player!

ceperez
02-11-2022, 01:10 PM
37 points against GSW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f02S-xgvPgs

jermaine
02-11-2022, 01:49 PM
If Richardson scores 15pts with a couple big 3s, everyone here will be like "Derrick Who".

RC_Drunkford
02-11-2022, 02:17 PM
the thing with Richardson is he can get hot from 3. So there's games where he goes off for 20+ and get you some wins

John B
02-11-2022, 02:20 PM
37 points against GSW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f02S-xgvPgs

That was against the defending Champs with KD in the lineup :wow

exstatic
02-11-2022, 02:21 PM
the thing with Richardson is he can get hot from 3. So there's games where he goes off for 20+ and get you some wins

So, maybe you don’t play him so much, then.

slick'81
02-11-2022, 02:47 PM
That was against the defending Champs with KD in the lineup :wow

omg hes a beast :lol

ceperez
02-11-2022, 03:02 PM
The guy is more talented than White. He just didn't build his game up in as good a system as the Spurs.

RC_Drunkford
02-11-2022, 03:51 PM
He's more of a natural scorer than White. If you give him the same amount of shots (White averaged 4 more shots than Richardson and scored 4 more points per game) Richardson will average the same exact numbers as White, just less assists. Like I said it's not much of a drop off and him being a better shooter might actually be a better fit. That's if he gets the starting gig. I totally hope Pop doesn't start him, we're trying to lose games

ceperez
02-11-2022, 04:01 PM
He's more of a natural scorer than White. If you give him the same amount of shots (White averaged 4 more shots than Richardson and scored 4 more points per game) Richardson will average the same exact numbers as White, just less assists. Like I said it's not much of a drop off and him being a better shooter might actually be a better fit. That's if he gets the starting gig. I totally hope Pop doesn't start him, we're trying to lose games

I don't think the Spurs will be trying to lose games. With a very young core, you need to build a culture of winning and that does not start by deliberately losing games.

My hunch is that Richardson replaces White in the starting lineup. A 40% at 3 this year, he'll a bigger threat than White.

John B
02-11-2022, 04:06 PM
What loses is the passing and that normally takes time with this team. Pop is making them share the ball more than any team, albeit without a real go-to scorer. That’s Zollin’s observation, “everyone touching the ball.” White initiates that, and creating a passing game, but sometimes too much to a fault, or “deferring” as Lonnie is often guilty of. It’s the balance of when to take over. Anyways, getting sidetracked. It’s mid-season and with new players, it will be more of an up and down game, pickup game is probably what we’ll see a lot of. Just play hard defense and ready to shoot when open.

ceperez
02-11-2022, 04:25 PM
What loses is the passing and that normally takes time with this team. Pop is making them share the ball more than any team, albeit without a real go-to scorer. That’s Zollin’s observation, “everyone touching the ball.” White initiates that, and creating a passing game, but sometimes too much to a fault, or “deferring” as Lonnie is often guilty of. It’s the balance of when to take over. Anyways, getting sidetracked. It’s mid-season and with new players, it will be more of an up and down game, pickup game is probably what we’ll see a lot of. Just play hard defense and ready to shoot when open.

To be fair, the Spurs don't have dominant go-to players that can create for themselves. They have no option but to pass the ball!

Not a single player in the entire Spurs roster demands a double team.

BatManu20
02-11-2022, 04:40 PM

Maddog
02-11-2022, 05:20 PM

Sacrilege

John B
02-11-2022, 05:57 PM
To be fair, the Spurs don't have dominant go-to players that can create for themselves. They have no option but to pass the ball!

Not a single player in the entire Spurs roster demands a double team.

Yes as I said, no go-to player in this team hence they need to create open shots through passing game

talkspurs
02-12-2022, 10:54 AM
compare white and josh.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=whitede01&p1yrfrom=2022&player_id2=richajo01&p2yrfrom=2022

exstatic
02-12-2022, 10:59 AM
#7, the player to be named later in a trade number…

John B
02-12-2022, 11:17 AM
compare white and josh.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=whitede01&p1yrfrom=2022&player_id2=richajo01&p2yrfrom=2022

While Derrick is the better distributor, Josh is the better shooter. With Spurs wanting on improving the 3, giving Whites/Lonnie’s shots to Vassell/Richardson/Langford is a +++. We are a better offensive team.

Also removing White finally defined who gets the ball handling. Murray and Tre is much better, and occasionally Primo to help. I like White, but it’s addition by subtraction.

wildbill2u
02-12-2022, 11:38 AM
White simply wasn't enough of a scorer and natural shooter to fill the 2 slot. At times he would pass on a wide open 3. Remember that was a major criticism of his game when he came into the league, and he never really overcame that hesitation. The 2 guy has to want to take every open shot; it's the instinct of a natural born shooter. Forbes has it. McDermott has it. But we haven't had a starting 2 with that instinct and skill for a long time.

God willing, Primo is the guy who will fill that role. Apparently the FO thought enough of him to take him at the first opportunity in the draft. But Richardson may bloom again here and become a starter like he was in Miami. God knows there is plenty of opportunity here as very few positions (excepting Poertl and Murray) are locked in for the long haul.

John B
03-12-2022, 08:35 AM
Don’t look now but I think J-Rich could be staying. This guy has a lot of dog in him. He’s new in the team, yet you can see already his veteran presence yet his only 28, very vocal. Already he was hanging out with the guys in Austin. What to do with him? Start him ala Danny Green? Keep him as a spark coming from the bench? He’s a good problem.

mo7888
03-12-2022, 08:47 AM
Don’t look now but I think J-Rich could be staying. This guy has a lot of dog in him. He’s new in the team, yet you can see already his veteran presence yet his only 28, very vocal. Already he was hanging out with the guys in Austin. What to do with him? Start him ala Danny Green? Keep him as a spark coming from the bench? He could be inconsistent, but can Pop unleash from him? He’s a good problem.

He's another in the line of guys that could stay or go this offseason...he's got one of the largest contracts of the group that could be moved so it'll just depend on what's out there and what other teams are valuing this summer... in the wing category I think Josh, KJ, Langford, Doug, and Vassell are all candidates to be packaged...(not that we'd move them all just some combination of that group).... of the bigs I could see one of them being moved as well... we'll have alot of options if there's something we like out there including moving up a couple spots in the draft...

John B
03-12-2022, 09:13 AM
^Agree. But I like what I’m seeing from J-Rich. I like his tenacity and being vocal. He kinda reminds me of Bruce coming by way of Miami and Boston also and found a home in San Antonio.

Chinook
03-12-2022, 09:34 AM
I hope Pop starts him the rest of the year to boost his value. I think playing next to Richardson will help Vassell's development, and I think it's overall a different look than with McDermott out there. Doug would make sense off the bench too, and hopefully Pop can avoid having as many mixed units as he played last night.

mo7888
03-12-2022, 09:39 AM
I hope Pop starts him the rest of the year to boost his value. I think playing next to Richardson will help Vassell's development, and I think it's overall a different look than with McDermott out there. Doug would make sense off the bench too, and hopefully Pop can avoid having as many mixed units as he played last night.

Well, if we're trying to make rhe play-in then that's the best route to get there.... if we want a higher pick then we play younger guys... I think tonight we'll choose a path...

exstatic
03-12-2022, 10:29 AM
He's another in the line of guys that could stay or go this offseason...he's got one of the largest contracts of the group that could be moved so it'll just depend on what's out there and what other teams are valuing this summer... in the wing category I think Josh, KJ, Langford, Doug, and Vassell are all candidates to be packaged...(not that we'd move them all just some combination of that group).... of the bigs I could see one of them being moved as well... we'll have alot of options if there's something we like out there including moving up a couple spots in the draft...

They won’t move Vassell on a rookie contract having played <140 games. If they were that ‘fish or cut bait’ Lonnie would have been gone 2 years ago.

mo7888
03-12-2022, 11:15 AM
They won’t move Vassell on a rookie contract having played <140 games. If they were that ‘fish or cut bait’ Lonnie would have been gone 2 years ago.

We're talking about 2 different things...you're envisioning a scenario where we're dumping him for, at most, a minor asset....I'm envisioning a scenario where we're buying on a high end talent and he's part of the package we are sending out in the acquisition..

John B
03-12-2022, 12:26 PM
We're talking about 2 different things...you're envisioning a scenario where we're dumping him for, at most, a minor asset....I'm envisioning a scenario where we're buying on a high end talent and he's part of the package we are sending out in the acquisition..

^Agree. Nobody is untouchable for the right trade, except for Murray maybe. The better our players play the remaining of the season, the more they add to their value, and as possible part to a package. It would be interesting how the PATFO will treat each player come off-season to get closer to that ideal roster that can finally compete.

emanueldavidginobili
03-12-2022, 03:59 PM

NickiRasgo
03-13-2022, 11:25 AM
He's not a priority but I kinda liked him back. Seems a good reliable veteran player (still young tho) both offense and defense.
He looks lost with Celtics probably due to Tatum and Brown's ball dominance.

BatManu20
03-13-2022, 11:44 AM
Richardson turns 29 this year and is in the prime of his career. He’s a good trade asset, and I hope the Spurs treat him as such.

He’s not part of the Spurs’ future so I hope we flip him either this Summer or early next season. He’s a valuable commodity for a contending team.

KingKev
03-13-2022, 11:53 AM
One 30 piece to end the season and ST will proclaim him near untouchable.

JRich on the right team is very valuable though. Not sure we can build that right team in short order so both sides are inclined to get his trade value up.

Atl Spur
03-13-2022, 03:18 PM
Dudes are gymnast on this board..lol! First he’s trash but now he’s an asset…….. please make up your minds!!!��

emanueldavidginobili
03-29-2022, 12:13 PM

I am really starting to enjoy J Rich in a Spurs uniform. He is probably one of the most solid players we have received in a trade in some time that wasn't completely past his prime. On the other hand we could probably get something pretty decent from him, he would be a damn good piece for a contender.

exstatic
03-29-2022, 12:18 PM

I am really starting to enjoy J Rich in a Spurs uniform. He is probably one of the most solid players we have received in a trade in some time that wasn't completely past his prime. On the other hand we could probably get something pretty decent from him, he would be a damn good piece for a contender.

I'm thinking the offers over the summer will be crap, so we can kind of see how our season is going, and if we decide to move him, teams are motivated and competitive at the trade deadline, so the offers will be much better. Win/win.

RC_Drunkford
03-29-2022, 12:26 PM
Brian Wright really improved the team while getting 2 first round draft picks for it

rjv
03-29-2022, 12:31 PM
he's certainly been better than i thought he would be to this point.

slick'81
03-29-2022, 12:54 PM
Him getting to beat up on these tanking shit teams is increasing his value

The Truth #6
03-29-2022, 01:04 PM
I’d rather keep Richardson and eradicate McBuckets. But lots of variables, et cetera.

Kevin
03-29-2022, 01:15 PM
I’d rather keep Richardson and eradicate McBuckets. But lots of variables, et cetera.

I cant imagine Doug is worth much on the trade market given his contract. Prolly an expiring plus a second rounder. Maybe a very late or far away first with heavy protections.

TDomination
03-29-2022, 01:34 PM
i actually forgot he was on our team lol

The Truth #6
03-29-2022, 01:38 PM
i actually forgot he was on our team lol

It’s been kind of nice, right? I mean, nice guy and all but…

slick'81
03-29-2022, 02:06 PM
It’s been kind of nice, right? I mean, nice guy and all but…

said the same thing about patty/bonner too

exstatic
03-29-2022, 02:09 PM
I cant imagine Doug is worth much on the trade market given his contract. Prolly an expiring plus a second rounder. Maybe a very late or far away first with heavy protections.

You people keep thinking that a contract with 2 years at $14M/yr is bad for a player with a desired skill. It's not. This isn't 10 years ago when that kind of deal would clog your cap. There are teams that will be absolutely interested this summer. As has been stated repeatedly, he needs to play with an offensive player with a high level of gravity, a superstar. He might shoot 46-48% in those circumstances. In our egalitarian offense, it's too easy to chase him off the line. or deny him the ball. Even in those circumstances, he's shooting 40% from long.

Kevin
03-29-2022, 02:18 PM
You people keep thinking that a contract with 2 years at $14M/yr is bad for a player with a desired skill. It's not. This isn't 10 years ago when that kind of deal would clog your cap. There are teams that will be absolutely interested this summer. As has been stated repeatedly, he needs to play with an offensive player with a high level of gravity, a superstar. He might shoot 46-48% in those circumstances. In our egalitarian offense, it's too easy to chase him off the line. or deny him the ball. Even in those circumstances, he's shooting 40% from long.

He's already being paid fairly so he doesn't have much surplus value so why should teams attach major assets for him?

I could see a Thad Young style deal with Doug and Lakers pick being packaged for a first this year. Memphis has three firsts and would make a ton of sense. Almost any contender picking at the end of the first would make sense for such a deal.

Mr. Body
03-29-2022, 02:40 PM
I'm for keeping Richardson. He's starting to be great off the bench, lots of production. Most important, he's not shy to shoot. No wind-up, not convincing himself, just does it. Can even be a decent vet presence in that regard. Just shoot, guys.

slick'81
03-29-2022, 02:45 PM
I'm for keeping Richardson. He's starting to be great off the bench, lots of production. Most important, he's not shy to shoot. No wind-up, not convincing himself, just does it. Can even be a decent vet presence in that regard. Just shoot, guys.

yea and maybe the spurs can keep him around for less then that 12 mil after next season

Chinook
03-29-2022, 03:40 PM
It's sad that I think Richardson would have been even better with the Spurs last year. Not that I would have done the White trade to Dallas, but the team badly need a good shooter who played solid D at the wing last year. I would be pretty reluctant to let him go in a trade if the team has any chance at a star free agent. They can make max contract space by paying to dump Langford and trading away the Celtics pick. They can create a bigger max by stretching Collins (though at this point he might deserve another year to get healthy). I'd do that over trading either Richardson. In the very least, his the buoyant ballast needed to make including McDermott neutral in a trade package.

KingKev
03-29-2022, 03:56 PM

Doubt you even get a first for him. Probably not too hard to move that contract… I’m sure a contending team over the cap would entertain him but the most you could hope for is an expiring and a second or two. McLovin isn’t good. He is a horrid defender who can’t even box his man out. Shoots a decent 3pt % on low volume for a so called sniper.

exstatic
03-29-2022, 04:18 PM
He's already being paid fairly so he doesn't have much surplus value so why should teams attach major assets for him?

I could see a Thad Young style deal with Doug and Lakers pick being packaged for a first this year. Memphis has three firsts and would make a ton of sense. Almost any contender picking at the end of the first would make sense for such a deal.

Where did I say major assets would come back? It's essentially a salary dump, but his skill set is the asset we attach to the deal. I would honestly take almost any ending contract that has a pulse.

jjspur
03-29-2022, 05:04 PM
Surprisingly Richardson filled a need. Many fans have talked down on the The D. White trade, but we are finally seeing some of the plusses. It just took a while. Lets see what we get from the Boston draft pick. Even if its in the late 20's it could turn into something better as well.

slick'81
03-29-2022, 07:41 PM
Surprisingly Richardson filled a need. Many fans have talked down on the The D. White trade, but we are finally seeing some of the plusses. It just took a while. Lets see what we get from the Boston draft pick. Even if its in the late 20's it could turn into something better as well.

not too surprising. Hes always been a good defender and not afraid to shoot. Spurs needed a good 3/d vet

Kevin
03-30-2022, 10:18 AM
This can be said of countless players but man Richardson would have thrived in the big three era. He would have been the fourth best player on a lot of teams from 04-11

Kevin
03-30-2022, 10:42 AM
This can be said of countless players but man Richardson would have thrived in the big three era. He would have been the fourth best player on a lot of teams from 04-11

KingKev
03-30-2022, 01:12 PM

Why they should have found a way to pay Stephen Jackson

Chomag
04-01-2022, 08:08 AM
I really would like the spurs to keep this guy. He seems to be a high character and good locker room type with good skills to back that all up.

exstatic
04-01-2022, 08:42 AM
I really would like the spurs to keep this guy. He seems to be a high character and good locker room type with good skills to back that all up.

There are a lot of moving parts this summer, draft picks, cap room, FAs, trades. If things go poorly, and it looks like another lottery year, he'll probably be moved. He might be anyway, as an ending contract that will be 30 in the summer of 2023 when he hits free agency.

scott
04-01-2022, 09:53 PM

Honestly not seeing any drop off from Derrick at all. I was a fan of Derrick, but I'm gonna say this was a hell of a trade by our FO. Got a first and a pick swap for no discernable downgrade at the position and put us in a better salary cap position... that's pretty damn optimal.

slick'81
04-01-2022, 09:56 PM
Honestly not seeing any drop off from Derrick at all. I was a fan of Derrick, but I'm gonna say this was a hell of a trade by our FO. Got a first and a pick swap for no discernable downgrade at the position and put us in a better salary cap position... that's pretty damn optimal.

if that pick swap pays off its a freaking hell of a steal for sa

Mr. Body
04-01-2022, 10:03 PM
I'm in for keeping this guy. He gives a dynamic sorely missing not only to the bench, but to the team, and he seems like he's fitting in very well personality-wise. Obviously cost matters, but I can't see easily finding this sort of player otherwise.

poopbox
04-01-2022, 10:14 PM
If the goal of the Spurs is to start becoming a playoff caliber team, then not only do you not trade Richardson we need to find a way to re-sign him. For the type of team we seem to be trying to build you will not find a better bench guard. He was miscast in Dallas and Boston but he is a perfect fit here. Even if the Spurs have to pay a little above market value they should, otherwise they are going to have to invest time and effort into finding a guy like Josh...which would be dumb...since he is already on the team.

If we could give him a Josh Hart type deal, 3 for somewhere between 30 and 37 million...that would be an absolute steal for us.

exstatic
04-01-2022, 10:31 PM
If the goal of the Spurs is to start becoming a playoff caliber team, then not only do you not trade Richardson we need to find a way to re-sign him. For the type of team we seem to be trying to build you will not find a better bench guard. He was miscast in Dallas and Boston but he is a perfect fit here. Even if the Spurs have to pay a little above market value they should, otherwise they are going to have to invest time and effort into finding a guy like Josh...which would be dumb...since he is already on the team.

If we could give him a Josh Hart type deal, 3 for somewhere between 30 and 37 million...that would be an absolute steal for us.

Lonnie hasn’t been paid. Keldon hasn’t been paid. Vassell hasn’t been paid. Primo hasn’t been paid. I love Josh Richardson, but he’ll be 29 this summer, and 30 when he’s a FA in 2023. We got a first and a pick swap for White, and a first for Thad and our top SRP. If you can pull a good deal for him this summer or next deadline, you do it. He’s increasing his value to contender daily. I don’t think a FRP and a good SRP is out of the question.

poopbox
04-01-2022, 10:41 PM
Lonnie hasn’t been paid. Keldon hasn’t been paid. Vassell hasn’t been paid. Primo hasn’t been paid. I love Josh Richardson, but he’ll be 29 this summer, and 30 when he’s a FA in 2023. We got a first and a pick swap for White, and a first for Thad and our top SRP. If you can pull a good deal for him this summer or next deadline, you do it. He’s increasing his value to contender daily. I don’t think a FRP and a good SRP is out of the question.

I'd be shocked if Lonnie is on this team next year. Keldon is not going to get some crazy offer from other teams, I can see him getting a Murray type deal. Vassell is two years away from getting paid. Paying Richardson a reasonable contract really shouldn't affect the contract of any of those players. Doug can also be traded since he not only adds anything of value to this team, we have easily played our best basketball without him.

exstatic
04-01-2022, 10:55 PM
I'd be shocked if Lonnie is on this team next year. Keldon is not going to get some crazy offer from other teams, I can see him getting a Murray type deal. Vassell is two years away from getting paid. Paying Richardson a reasonable contract really shouldn't affect the contract of any of those players. Doug can also be traded since he not only adds anything of value to this team, we have easily played our best basketball without him.

Lonnie is a year late, because he didn’t get an extension. If he’s kept, he gets paid now. Keldon is also THIS year, and Vassell is NEXT year.

boutons_deux
04-01-2022, 10:59 PM
Don’t look now but I think J-Rich could be staying. This guy has a lot of dog in him. He’s new in the team, yet you can see already his veteran presence yet his only 28, very vocal. Already he was hanging out with the guys in Austin. What to do with him? Start him ala Danny Green? Keep him as a spark coming from the bench? He’s a good problem.

boutons_deux
04-01-2022, 11:00 PM
Richardson is 41% from three and 44% overall. Looks like a keeper to me

offset formation
04-02-2022, 01:31 AM

As much as I've come to enjoy his contributions to this team on multiple levels, this is the correct answer.

This franchise really has no other option than to get better via the draft, ultimately. If a high second or FRP is available, you take it.

XDT76
04-02-2022, 03:07 AM
Lonnie is a year late, because he didn’t get an extension. If he’s kept, he gets paid now. Keldon is also THIS year, and Vassell is NEXT year.

KJ can get his extension this offseason and Vassell can get his next offseason. However the new contract starts one year later after their current contract ends, so not sure where KJ gets paid this year and Vassell next year comes from.

rankingtear
04-02-2022, 07:59 AM
Can't replicate what he does for this team. Hard to find a better fit who is fine coming off the bench. Just take the win and don't try to min max everything.

exstatic
04-02-2022, 08:06 AM
Can't replicate what he does for this team. Hard to find a better fit who is fine coming off the bench. Just take the win and don't try to min max everything.

Josh is a nice piece, but he’s really not going to elevate the team to another level. If you want that player who will elevate your team, you need to obtain and use as many FRPs as possible. Keeping players like Josh to stay on the play in/ bottom playoff team treadmill is suicide, and not a win.

exstatic
04-02-2022, 08:12 AM
KJ can get his extension this offseason and Vassell can get his next offseason. However the new contract starts one year later after their current contract ends, so not sure where KJ gets paid this year and Vassell next year comes from.
OK, so KJ gets paid next year, at the same time JRich is up, and Vassell the year after. Do you know who else gets paid that next year? Dejounte, for the second time, and I guarantee you, it won’t be 4/$64M again.

rankingtear
04-02-2022, 08:18 AM
Josh is a nice piece, but he’s really not going to elevate the team to another level. If you want that player who will elevate your team, you need to obtain and use as many FRPs as possible. Keeping players like Josh to stay on the play in/ bottom playoff team treadmill is suicide, and not a win.

You are overvaluing Josh as a trade piece. You wan't to min max things you trade DJ.

exstatic
04-02-2022, 08:22 AM
You are overvaluing Josh as a trade piece. You wan't to min max things you trade DJ.

We got a FRP and a pick swap for White. We got a FRP for our good second rounder and the corpse of Thad Young. I don’t think I’m over valuing the return for JRich at all, and he’s increasing his value to contenders daily.

BTW, you just lost all credibility by suggesting trading DJ to keep payroll manageable and keep JRich.

rankingtear
04-02-2022, 08:49 AM
We got a FRP and a pick swap for White. We got a FRP for our good second rounder and the corpse of Thad Young. I don’t think I’m over valuing the return for JRich at all, and he’s increasing his value to contenders daily.

BTW, you just lost all credibility by suggesting trading DJ to keep payroll manageable and keep JRich.

JRich was just salary dumped last offseason and traded as a matching salary this trade deadline. I never said anything about payroll.

exstatic
04-02-2022, 09:35 AM
JRich was just salary dumped last offseason and traded as a matching salary this trade deadline. I never said anything about payroll.

We’ll, I had to try to interpret what your babbling about min max meant, so…

Ariel
04-02-2022, 09:39 AM
If the Spurs were in a different situation, he'd be a keeper. Since that's far and away, if you're offered a decent first rounder or a younger prospect with more potential, you take it. If he keeps proving himself valuable, he'll be tempting for someone.

BacktoBasics
04-02-2022, 10:05 AM
If the Spurs were in a different situation, he'd be a keeper. Since that's far and away, if you're offered a decent first rounder or a younger prospect with more potential, you take it. If he keeps proving himself valuable, he'll be tempting for someone.

I generally agree with this but if the Spurs happen to make a move to land an impactful player that moves the needle he'd be worth keeping. He's a great glue guy and seems to fit nicely with this roster. It's been a smooth transition adding him.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-02-2022, 10:11 AM
Barring a trade for a star level talent I think Richardson is on next year’s opening roster. He’s the exact veteran presence this team needs. If the team looks like they can be competitive and contend for the top 7 in the West then I think he sticks. If we’re bottom feeding again next year then I think he’s a trade deadline move.

I’m assuming the end of our roster is all at risk of losing their spots this summer depending on who we acquire. McBuckets becomes expendable I think now that the Spurs have JRich. Lonnie’s fate might rest on what other teams want to pay for him. I’d personally like to see Lonnie back next year.

This team has come a long way since their 4-13 start. I have a feeling Pop will want to hold most of the core together. In spite of me bashing Wright he seems to be the guy more willing to shake up the roster snow globe and so far he’s been doing that surprisingly well. He might surprise us by moving a core piece this summer.

XDT76
04-02-2022, 10:34 AM
OK, so KJ gets paid next year, at the same time JRich is up, and Vassell the year after. Do you know who else gets paid that next year? Dejounte, for the second time, and I guarantee you, it won’t be 4/$64M again.

I am not arguing about trading or keeping Josh or whatever other points u are engage in. I am pointing out that KJ and Vassell are not paid as per your previous post.

Mr. Body
04-02-2022, 10:56 AM
Barring a trade for a star level talent I think Richardson is on next year’s opening roster. He’s the exact veteran presence this team needs. If the team looks like they can be competitive and contend for the top 7 in the West then I think he sticks. If we’re bottom feeding again next year then I think he’s a trade deadline move.

I’m assuming the end of our roster is all at risk of losing their spots this summer depending on who we acquire. McBuckets becomes expendable I think now that the Spurs have JRich. Lonnie’s fate might rest on what other teams want to pay for him. I’d personally like to see Lonnie back next year.

This team has come a long way since their 4-13 start. I have a feeling Pop will want to hold most of the core together. In spite of me bashing Wright he seems to be the guy more willing to shake up the roster snow globe and so far he’s been doing that surprisingly well. He might surprise us by moving a core piece this summer.

This guy knows what's up.

This team is close to the playoffs. They need a PF-type and some real wing help. They especially need to learn how to close out games.

Richardson helps way more than some people realize. He IS an impact player. And you're not likely to find him again with a late first round pick you get from a contender.

Leetonidas
04-02-2022, 11:26 AM
I'd rather keep JRich and look to trade McNugget. Spurs look much better without him

exstatic
04-02-2022, 12:43 PM
I am not arguing about trading or keeping Josh or whatever other points u are engage in. I am pointing out that KJ and Vassell are not paid as per your previous post.

You’re picking at minutiae, and ignoring the overarching point: WE’VE GOT A LOT OF MOUTHS TO FEED OVER THE NEXT FEW YEARS. unless we strike some kind of gold this summer, he maybe a luxury we cannot afford. We’re not the Knicks, Lakers, or Celtics with an unlimited budget.

slick'81
04-02-2022, 12:47 PM
You’re picking at minutiae, and ignoring the overarching point: WE’VE GOT A LOT OF MOUTHS TO FEED OVER THE NEXT FEW YEARS. unless we strike some kind of gold this summer, he maybe a luxury we cannot afford. We’re not the Knicks, Lakers, or Celtics with an unlimited budget.

yup,spurs cant keep everybody

XDT76
04-02-2022, 12:56 PM

I am not picking on anything, like i said i am just pointing out that the information of when their new contract starts is in accurate. I am not supporting to keep or trade anyone. Is it so difficult to understand and admit a mistake?

exstatic
04-02-2022, 01:17 PM
I am not picking on anything, like i said i am just pointing out that the information of when their new contract starts is in accurate. I am not supporting to keep or trade anyone. Is it so difficult to understand and admit a mistake?

Already did. Now, we’re just kind of left with you picking nits.

Chomag
04-02-2022, 01:27 PM
I'd rather keep JRich and look to trade McNugget. Spurs look much better without him
This! Especially if we don't resign Lonnie but even then I love Lonnie when he plays like the player he can be but still after all this time he is still so shaky for my taste. I'm mostly saying that there are a few Spurs I would rather see traded first before JRich. He provides many unique things that you just can't find everywhere and he is the type of Vet that is needed for this young team.

R. DeMurre
04-02-2022, 01:58 PM
Keldon is not going to get some crazy offer from other teams

I don't know about this... I think there will be teams out there willing to make an offer for a young guy averaging 17 & 6 and 40% from three, a guy Draymond Green called a future All Star.

exstatic
04-02-2022, 02:10 PM
Keldon isn’t a FA this summer, restricted or otherwise. He’s eligible to sign his extension, which would kick in next summer. If he doesn’t, his year 4 contract kicks in and he’s a RFA next summer.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/

wildbill2u
04-02-2022, 02:49 PM
Richardson has been playing well, earning his minutes every game on both ends of the court. He is consistent.
You can't say the same for some of the players currently on the roster in the logjam at guard/SF.

I don't think there is one part of his game you can point to and say, "He's way worse than Player "X" on this team." TBH, he's looking good because none of the Spurs players he's competing with are showing themselves to be way better. I did a comparison on Basketball Reference using Richardson against Lonnie and Devin. He and Devin are almost mirror images in all categories. He's marginally better than Lonnie on offense and defense.

One thing caught my attention. He is showing a way greater per rating for on/offcourt than normal for his career. So that probably has something to do with why he's getting more favorable attention. He really IS helping us win a few games.

Should we keep him? I don't know or care much one way or the other. I suppose it will finally depend on which of the three can be packaged for something better. Any decision about his future with the Spurs will depend a lot on salary demands and his age relative to the others.

RC_Drunkford
04-02-2022, 05:46 PM
between McBuckets, J-Rich, Vassell, Keldon, Walker and Primo 2 have to go. That's it unless you want to keep playing Keldon at PF. I think it's a given that McDermott should get moved, so it's either keeping Walker or J-Rich

offset formation
04-03-2022, 01:25 PM
This guy knows what's up.

This team is close to the playoffs. They need a PF-type and some real wing help. They especially need to learn how to close out games.

Richardson helps way more than some people realize. He IS an impact player. And you're not likely to find him again with a late first round pick you get from a contender.

Being close to the playoffs isn't the goal. If you're a small market team with little hope of improving with free agent signings, then there's no point in not trying to improve your team through the draft if you can. Getting a FRP pick for Josh greatly increases the odds you don't just become a fringe playoff or play-in team. That's basketball purgatory where drafting location may or may not get you much. If you're not a top 4 seed or so, you have to be willing to part with great teammates like Josh. And I'm a fan. But he'll be 30 soon. And we're a 10th or 11th seed right now. You absolutely trade him for the right return price.

Mr. Body
04-03-2022, 02:38 PM
Being close to the playoffs isn't the goal. If you're a small market team with little hope of improving with free agent signings, then there's no point in not trying to improve your team through the draft if you can. Getting a FRP pick for Josh greatly increases the odds you don't just become a fringe playoff or play-in team. That's basketball purgatory where drafting location may or may not get you much. If you're not a top 4 seed or so, you have to be willing to part with great teammates like Josh. And I'm a fan. But he'll be 30 soon. And we're a 10th or 11th seed right now. You absolutely trade him for the right return price.

I'm saying they're close to the playoffs right now. Next year they should be in the playoffs. They're already much better both as a squad and in knowledge of how to play than they were a few months ago. Trading Richardson for some draft pick just sets them back.

exstatic
04-03-2022, 02:53 PM
I'm saying they're close to the playoffs right now. Next year they should be in the playoffs. They're already much better both as a squad and in knowledge of how to play than they were a few months ago. Trading Richardson for some draft pick just sets them back.

Portland has two top 10 picks, and will be getting Dame, Nurk, Simons, and Hart back. The LAC will be getting Kawhi back. The Spurs won’t crack the top 8 without a major infusion of talent. We’ll be grasping for the play in again.

jermaine
04-03-2022, 02:55 PM
Rich is someone this team needs. Lonnie can not be counted on imho...

KingKev
04-03-2022, 02:55 PM
Portland has two top 10 picks, and will be getting Dame, Nurk, Simons, and Hart back. The LAC will be getting Kawhi back. The Spurs won’t crack the top 8 without a major infusion of talent. We’ll be grasping for the play in again.

Absolutely agree. It will take some serious luck and savvy/risk taking from PATFO to not be in the exact same position we are currently a year from now which is why consolidating this plethora of decent talent and continuing to build draft capital
is so important.

Mr. Body
04-03-2022, 03:21 PM

Whether we want to acknowledge it or not, the Spurs want to win now. Trading a player who fits for some random late first round pick isn't going to do the trick.

Ariel
04-03-2022, 03:38 PM
Whether we want to acknowledge it or not, the Spurs want to win now. Trading a player who fits for some random late first round pick isn't going to do the trick.
Well, by that reasoning then go ahead and trade Keldon Johnson, Vassell and the picks for a couple of years rental of a veteran frontcourt player. I'm sure it can be done. That way you maximize your chances of making the playoffs the next 2 or 3 years just so you get stomped on by the 1st seed as they go on to fight for a championship. Oh, and while you're at it, make sure you overpay Lonnie Walker now, and Poeltl and Richardson next season so that you keep it going, while you kiss your salary cap room goodbye. Nice plan indeed.

exstatic
04-03-2022, 04:10 PM

If they were all in on win now, they would have made different trades last summer instead of ones where they ate like $15-16M in dead salary. They were all in on play the young guys and accrue assets. They just won’t overtly dump games by deactivating most of their rotation like Portland. That’s not the same as win now.

KingKev
04-03-2022, 05:15 PM

They are sending mixed signals as evidenced by the signing of McDougal but I don’t think they are full blown win now. You don’t reach for Primo or let DDR walk if you are still full blown win now and guys like JRich and Jak can be had.

There is an organic rebuild/building phase that many of us may not fully support but ug’s nit

K...
04-03-2022, 08:55 PM
Well, by that reasoning then go ahead and trade Keldon Johnson, Vassell and the picks for a couple of years rental of a veteran frontcourt player. I'm sure it can be done. That way you maximize your chances of making the playoffs the next 2 or 3 years just so you get stomped on by the 1st seed as they go on to fight for a championship. Oh, and while you're at it, make sure you overpay Lonnie Walker now, and Poeltl and Richardson next season so that you keep it going, while you kiss your salary cap room goodbye. Nice plan indeed.

this is actually what the team should consider doing since their first round picks can replace the role players if we get a decent big. Alas there aren't many trades to justify the big trade, so you just have to assume the team is doing their due diligence. But its not apples or oranges, it's who we get back compared to who we ship out. now if we trade all our young talent and all future picks we would be in rotten situation like the lakers. But we can afford to be very very flexible.

SpurSpike
04-29-2022, 04:45 PM
Nice little video of Josh and Primo chillin. Seems like a really cool dude and a good mentor, i hope he sticks around. Primo must have lived a pretty sheltered life because he is still learning how to drive at 19 and wasn't allowed to play football.

https://youtu.be/XLXALZsIPO0

offset formation
04-29-2022, 06:23 PM
Nice little video of Josh and Primo chillin. Seems like a really cool dude and a good mentor, i hope he sticks around. Primo must have lived a pretty sheltered life because he is still learning how to drive at 19 and wasn't allowed to play football.

I enjoy video like these. Are there more?

exstatic
04-29-2022, 09:45 PM

Football is a stupid risk to take if you’re on a pro track in basketball.

People who live in other countries and their cities don’t necessarily drive. Not everyone destroyed their public transit systems to sell cars.

Ice009
05-01-2022, 07:31 AM
I enjoy video like these. Are there more?

Yeah, I wouldn't mind knowing either if any more videos like this were done with the players.

Cool video. I wouldn't mind seeing J-Rich stick around next season. He really helped elevate the team. If we have to trade him to open up salary and a spot, though, fair enough, but I really did like the guy and his play with the Spurs.

Dancelot
05-01-2022, 08:55 AM
Is he a free agent or still under contract?

exstatic
05-01-2022, 07:32 PM
Is he a free agent or still under contract?
He’s got a year left, but I doubt we can pay him AND our youngsters, so he’ll be moved some time between the draft and next February’s deadline. He even pretty much acknowledged the reality during his question time after the play in loss. We can monetize him while he’s under contract, not after.

PhantomDashCam
06-02-2022, 11:50 PM
https://youtu.be/x0msvuWLJ6Q

Wearing the revamped T-Macs...

John B
06-03-2022, 12:08 AM
https://youtu.be/x0msvuWLJ6Q

Wearing the revamped T-Macs...

Do you think he gets us pick 15? :lol

BackHome
06-03-2022, 12:29 AM
He definitely will get us a first round pick

offset formation
06-03-2022, 12:44 AM

Sometimes a FRP is worse value, and would be in Josh's case, unless its a top 7 or 8 pick, tbh. I hope we just stick with him at least for one more year.

PhantomDashCam
06-03-2022, 01:51 AM
Do you think he gets us pick 15? :lol

Yeah, easily if packaged with pick 9. Ah, Hang on…

exstatic
06-03-2022, 07:33 AM

He’s catnip for contenders. He Ds up, shoots the 3, and can create a little. It won’t be a great first rounder, but we’ll probably get one.

Contenders tend to draft more ready players, but even those older picks need a year or two to get their feet wet, and most contenders don’t want that lag, and would happily flip a back half FRP for a guy like JRich.

BackHome
06-03-2022, 11:30 AM
Question as far as far as value would our 25th pick+ Richardson for Cleveland’s 14th pick be a fair deal? Or do you think we would have to be our 20th pick + Richardson? Either way Cleveland surprised a lot of people last season a player like Richardson could really help them out.

exstatic
06-03-2022, 11:42 AM
Question as far as far as value would our 25th pick+ Richardson for Cleveland’s 14th pick be a fair deal? Or do you think we would have to be our 20th pick + Richardson? Either way Cleveland surprised a lot of people last season a player like Richardson could really help them out.

They may not be enough of a contender. Let’s see how they do this year when they’re NOT a surprise.

Chomag
06-03-2022, 01:16 PM
He is one of my favorite Spurs on the current roster and I really don't want to see him go from the team, but I do understand why he might be traded. It kinds sux though because from everything I'm hearing is that he is a great lockeroom leader for the youngsters.

Chinook
06-03-2022, 04:03 PM
I don't think Richardson would have much value in the draft. MAYBE Philly would take him back with 38 for 23 and Green. That way, Pop can finally cut Danny Green and live out the fantasy he's had since Danny's solidified himself. But having four firsts would be bonkers. Of course, the Spurs might do something like trade 20 and 25 for 14 and then do the Philly trade. That'd give them 9, 14 and 23. -- Murray, Williams and Washington

Would prefer to go into free agency without encumbering more cap space, though.