PDA

View Full Version : Post Trade Deadline Spurs Rotation

MannyIsGod
02-10-2022, 06:20 PM
Derrick White was the only rotation player traded today, but it will be very interesting to see how some of the new players are incorporated into the team.

- If I had to bet, I would bet today's trade is in part predicated on the fact that the Spurs believe Devin is the future at the 2 for the Spurs. At least for the rest of this year and likely next year pending on how Primo develops. Devin has looked good at times and has been generally a better three point shooter than White. He's not the on ball defender that White is, but I believe out of the current Spurs he's the best option and probably has has the most upside over the next 1-2 seasons. His per 36 numbers are almost as good as White's in every category except assists, but Devin boards the ball better and also gets more steals.

- There's a chance they start Lonnie. I'm not sure how many more opportunities Lonnie will be given, but I suppose its possible they give him the opportunity to try to play with the starters and see what he can provide over the rest of the season. I don't think this is likely, and in fact I'm wondering if Lonnie sees much of a change in minutes at all because of the other guards coming from Boston.

- I have watched almost no Langford playing time, so I can't value this guy at all personally. But if the Spurs do think he has potential, it will be interesting to see if he or Tre get the bulk of the minutes backing up Murray. With White gone, we're actually going to use a backup point guard as opposed to staggering Murray and White so it'll be telling if the Spurs play Langford ahead of Tre.

- I really hope Josh Richardson is not the starting 2 guard for us the rest of the way. I don't think he's terrible, but its possible thats the role the front office forsees going forward for him.

slick'81
02-10-2022, 06:21 PM
Murray
vassell
johnson
mcdermoot
poodle

are we keeping dragic?

MannyIsGod
02-10-2022, 06:24 PM
I don't think there's much of a chance they keep Dragic and I doubt he'll play. I don't see how they would gain anything by that.

Excessive Egotist
02-10-2022, 06:28 PM
Solid chance our 2022-23 opening game starting lineup is Murray, Primo, Vassell, Johnson, and Collins. And I'm fairly confident Murray and Poeltl will each miss the final 15 games with lingering soreness somewhere on their body. I expect that we give Primo and Vassell heavy minutes over the balance of the year. Move Poeltl this summer. And potentially sign and trade Walker.

TD 21
02-10-2022, 06:28 PM
Don't foresee a clear cut 9 or 10 man. Only the top 7 are probably locks (probably a longshot, but with the writing on the wall, could Walker IV be a stealth buyout candidate if he's that unhappy and they want to prioritize Primo and Langford?) . . .

Starters: Johnson, McDermott, Poeltl, Richardson/Vassell, Murray

Bench: Vassell/Richardson, Collins, Walker IV, Primo, Jones, Bates-Diop, Langford

Deep bench/G-League: Landale, Satoransky, Wieskamp, Cacok

timvp
02-10-2022, 06:35 PM
-I'm hoping Vassell gets the starting nod. It's time to see what that combo looks like. Does the Murray/Vassell combo have enough creation skills to be a starting backcourt in today's NBA? There's only one way to find out, tbh.

-Regarding Richardson, I just hope the Spurs do enough to retain his value. They succeeded well enough with Thad -- time to do that again with Richardson. Either mothball him or put him in a position to succeed. Thad's value was retained just well enough to get something halfway tangible for him.

-Langford vs. Walker? I don't care too much either way. I'd lean Walker because Langford's prove-it year can be next season.

Excessive Egotist
02-10-2022, 06:40 PM
I don't think we'll play Richardson. He is only here because his salary was needed to match White's. I expect he'll be moved this summer after receiving the Thad Young treatment over back half of this season. I hope we flip him for another SRP.

TD 21
02-10-2022, 06:46 PM
Does the Murray/Vassell combo have enough creation skills to be a starting backcourt in today's NBA? There's only one way to find out, tbh.

-Regarding Richardson, I just hope the Spurs do enough to retain his value. Either mothball him or put him in a position to succeed. .

Not with a front line as devoid of play making as this. Whoever the eventual replacement for McDermott is (Primo, Ivey, etc.) that slides Vassell to the nominal three, will have to make this work.

Yeah, as they fall further behind the play-in, they probably mothball him at that point. I don't see it happening at this point with a 28 year old, but stranger things have happened.

Dejounte
02-10-2022, 07:03 PM
Murray/ Tre
Vassell/ Lonnie
Primo/ Richardson
Keldon/ McDermott/ KBD
Poeltl/ Collins/ Landale

Slippy
02-10-2022, 07:13 PM
Haven't seen enough of Josh Richardson to know what he offers the spurs. Not a good sign he keeps getting traded.

One thing lonnie has going for him this season is his much improved defense .

The spurs just traded their best on the ball defender . Someone has to fill that gap / role.

slick'81
02-10-2022, 07:18 PM
Haven't seen enough of Josh Richardson to know what he offers the spurs. Not a good sign he keeps getting traded.

One thing lonnie has going for him this season is his much improved defense .

The spurs just traded their best on the ball defender . Someone has to fill that gap / role.

devin vassell says hi

RC_Drunkford
02-10-2022, 07:20 PM
Murray/Richardson
Vassell/Walker
McDermott/Primo
Johnson/KBD
Poeltl/Collins

But Pop will probably go mad scientist and rest players often, so I expect a bunch of different line ups

Slippy
02-10-2022, 07:23 PM
devin vassell says hi

Devin and Joshua are ahead of Lonnie in the rotation. no doubt. Just defensively they dont cut it yet. For me Lonnie was closest to Dwhites ability.

mo7888
02-10-2022, 07:23 PM
I think Langford will fit in the rotation somewhere..

Dejounte
02-10-2022, 07:51 PM
1) Pop notoriously doesn’t play players who have only recently joined the Spurs, especially players who join in the middle of the season. It’s probably due to not knowing the terminology, playbook, and familiarity playing with the other players.

2) Pop doesn’t play players just to raise their trade value. Most recent example is Thad Young.

CGD
02-10-2022, 07:59 PM
1) Pop notoriously doesn’t play players who have only recently joined the Spurs, especially players who join in the middle of the season. It’s probably due to not knowing the terminology, playbook, and familiarity playing with the other players.

2) Pop doesn’t play players just to raise their trade value. Most recent example is Thad Young.

Dude, this was a draft deadline like no other. I really don’t see any other recent precedent for Pops actions following a day that saw 4 players (5 if you add Forbes) leave and 4 come in.

CGD
02-10-2022, 08:00 PM
Need to keep Lonnie and Richardson’s trade value up.

slick'81
02-10-2022, 08:01 PM
Time to see if vassell was worth that lottery pick

offset formation
02-10-2022, 08:01 PM
One thing I've noted with Primo that's frustrating is he seems like he has a hard time staying in front of guards. He's been much better suited defensively when he gets switched onto the 3 or 4. Vassell seems like the more natural defensive 3 given his length, but his ability to stay in front of quicker guards makes him a more valuable defensive 2. Primo may end up being the bench ball handler but he's looking better suited to be a defensive 3.

CGD
02-10-2022, 08:02 PM
Murray
vassell
johnson
mcdermoot
poodle

are we keeping dragic?

No, but im in no hurry to help the mavs sign him as a buy out lol .

Dejounte
Dude, this was a draft deadline like no other. I really don’t see any other recent precedent for Pops actions following a day that saw 4 players (5 if you add Forbes) leave and 4 come in.

roster moves and coaching strategies are exclusive to each other

RC_Drunkford

Richardson played for Boston. The coach there is Ime Udoka. He should know the playbook pretty well, given that he also played for Brett Brown.

CGD
02-10-2022, 08:03 PM
I think Langford will fit in the rotation somewhere..

Agree, he had a rep as a good defender coming into the draft. Apparently he has long arms ala Devin and DJ.

dbestpro
02-10-2022, 08:07 PM
SL Poetl, Collins, Johnson, Vassel, Murray.
Bench - everybody else

John B
02-10-2022, 08:44 PM
I think Pop would give Lonnie plenty of chances to earn his next contract. There’s no excuse for Lonnie now . I think Lonnie will get the starting nod (I’m not necessarily agree to it). And Pop will give enough looks on Lanford and Jefferson.

Dejounte
02-10-2022, 08:59 PM
If Pop wouldn’t even attempt to play Collins and Poeltl together against the Cavs, the tallest line-up in the NBA, he’s never playing them together.

emanueldavidginobili
02-10-2022, 09:24 PM
DJ/Tre
Vassell/Walker-Richardson
Doug/Primo/Langford
Keldon/KBD/Jock
Poeltl/Collins

XDT76
02-10-2022, 09:42 PM
It doesn't matter what lineup the Spurs is running now. We traded the only player that can run an offense other than DjM and provide help internal defense. We are going full tank mode unless someone suddenly take a leap in improvement. Our target is the draft and we would need to get in a competent PF and someone who can attack the rim and draw foul. Just hope we don't draft 3 combo guard/forward who are 6' 5. I was hoping if we trade DW, we can address some of our shortcoming not make it worse.

BackHome
02-10-2022, 09:44 PM
Yeah Pop did the same with Forbes gave him playing time to help him get picked up so he will do the same with Walker.

SequSpur
02-10-2022, 10:02 PM
Spurs suck.

baseline bum
02-10-2022, 10:04 PM
Spurs suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E929gqIcwwI

8FOR!3
02-10-2022, 11:51 PM
PG: Murray/Tre/Tomas
SG: Richardson/Primo/Langford
SF: Vassell/Walker/Wieskamp
PF: Keldon/McDermott/KBD
C: Poeltl/Zollins/Landale

This makes the most sense to me. It doesn't really leave anyone out of the rotation that HAS to have minutes right now. You can always move the guards around though, Primo or Walker could start at the two, Langford or Tomas could get some minutes off the bench some nights. There's a chance Richardson could be the main ball handler in that case like White was at times.

Chinook
02-10-2022, 11:55 PM
Murray, Jones, Satoranksy
Richardson, Dragic, Primo
McDermott, Walker, Langford
Johnson, Vassell, KBD
Poeltl, Collins, Landale

SequSpur
02-11-2022, 12:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E929gqIcwwI

��

timtonymanu
02-11-2022, 12:21 AM
PG: Murray/Tre/Tomas
SG: Richardson/Primo/Langford
SF: Vassell/Walker/Wieskamp
PF: Keldon/McDermott/KBD
C: Poeltl/Zollins/Landale

This makes the most sense to me. It doesn't really leave anyone out of the rotation that HAS to have minutes right now. You can always move the guards around though, Primo or Walker could start at the two, Langford or Tomas could get some minutes off the bench some nights. There's a chance Richardson could be the main ball handler in that case like White was at times.

This is my lineup too

Dejounte
02-11-2022, 12:22 AM
Revising things a bit…

not sure if there will be cuts or not… but if not, then:

Murray/ Dragic/ Tre/ Satoransky
Primo/ Lonnie/ Richardson
Keldon/ Vassell/ Wieskamp/ Langford
McDermott/ KBD/ Cacok
Poeltl/ Collins/ Landale

G - Murray
G - Goran Dragic
G - Tre Jones
G - Tomas Satoransky
G/W - Primo
G/W - Lonnie
G/W - Josh Richardson
W - Wieskamp
W - Romeo Langford
W/F - Vassell
F - McDermott
F - Keldon Johnson
F/C - KBD
F/C - Cacok
C - Poeltl
C - Z. Collins
C - Landale

Dejounte
02-11-2022, 12:28 AM
Richardson may be a ton better than Lonnie, but I don’t think Pop will destroy the kid’s (Lonnie’s) future by not letting him play out the season so he can still have a job after his time with the Spurs. Richardson might be a guy they reserve for next season. His contract is up after next season, right?

+I guess alternative is Primo is kept as the 3rd G/W off the bench since after all, there is no rush to do anything with him because of it being the first year of his rookie contract

couchman
02-11-2022, 12:51 AM
I think Vassell moves into the starting lineup at the 2 spot and most other roles stay the same.
I think Langford goes to G League to work on his game.

The only questions to me are:
How much run do we give Richardson? Does he eat up Lonnie's minutes?
How much more run can we give Primo?

slick'81
02-11-2022, 12:54 AM
Murray/tre/sataransky
Vassell/primo/walker
mcdermoot/richardson/langford/wisekamp
keldon/kbd/cacok
poodle/zollins/landale

Atl Spur
02-11-2022, 01:07 AM
If Pop wouldn’t even attempt to play Collins and Poeltl together against the Cavs, the tallest line-up in the NBA, he’s never playing them together.

He will at some point, Collins needs time to get right though.

John B
02-11-2022, 01:10 AM
I agree on sending Primo more to the G-League because it’s only his 1st year and Spurs already know what they have.
I think Lonnie starts and get the most chance to earn his next contract.
Vassell plays, but I think Pop would like to see more Richardson
Likewise Langford, or he might get some burn at Austin. He’s only 22

But the question is, who is getting bought out besides Dragic? Satoransky? I wonder how much they can negotiate because that’s about 15 mil left for both, and/or whatever they’ve negotiated. Would Satoransky agree? I don’t know how it works, if there’s market for other teams to pick him up. I know Dragic has multiple and already said will negotiate on a buyout.

Atl Spur
02-11-2022, 01:13 AM
Richardson is going to play….. book it. Lonnie better step up or get left behind

MultiTroll
02-11-2022, 01:15 AM
mcdermoot/richardson/langford/wisekamp

Is McForbesbot long term or just to continue the tank?
Or to continue Pops long tradition of Pets (Bonner, Bryn Bryn) who "oh oh oh shoot treys at 40%." :cheer

(uncontested treys when up or down 20, do not rebound and give up far more per game on the defensive end?) :rolleyes

Dejounte
02-11-2022, 01:24 AM
Next year’s roster maybe

G - Murray
G - Tre Jones
G - Dyson Daniels
G/W - Primo
G/W - Josh Richardson
W - Wieskamp
W - Romeo Langford
W/F - Vassell
W/F - Patrick Baldwin Jr
F - McDermott
F - Keldon Johnson
F/C - Banchero
F/C - KBD
C - Poeltl
C - Z. Collins
C - Landale

Murray/ Tre/ Dyson
Primo/ Richardson/ Langford
Keldon/ Vassell/ Baldwin Jr
Banchero/ McDermott/ KBD
Poeltl/ Collins/ Landale

poopbox
02-11-2022, 01:58 AM
It doesn't matter what lineup the Spurs is running now. We traded the only player that can run an offense other than DjM and provide help internal defense. We are going full tank mode unless someone suddenly take a leap in improvement. Our target is the draft and we would need to get in a competent PF and someone who can attack the rim and draw foul. Just hope we don't draft 3 combo guard/forward who are 6' 5. I was hoping if we trade DW, we can address some of our shortcoming not make it worse.

We have been in full tank mode for weeks. The whole reason why White got traded in the 1st place is that we were in full tank mode.

ceperez
02-11-2022, 06:35 AM

The gamble here is that 19 year old Primo can run an offense.

KingKev
02-11-2022, 06:45 AM
Need to keep Lonnie and Richardson’s trade value up.

Walker had no trade value at the deadline and won’t this summer no matter how great he plays. If he signs an offer sheet away from us we can’t S&T him at that point, only match the offer.

tbdog
02-11-2022, 08:38 AM
But the question is, who is getting bought out besides Dragic? Satoransky? I wonder how much they can negotiate because that’s about 15 mil left for both, and/or whatever they’ve negotiated. Would Satoransky agree? I don’t know how it works, if there’s market for other teams to pick him up. I know Dragic has multiple and already said will negotiate on a buyout.

Satoansky kinda makes sense as a third string pg for next season. Primo isn't going to be a pg. Then again, who knows what the spurs are going to do with those 3 first round picks. They could easily find a pg ready to provide as a third string right of the bat.

D-Robinson 50 fan
02-11-2022, 08:41 AM
The thing the team is going to miss the most from the trades is not having another solid shot creator.

DJ is the teams best shot creator and Derrick was easily 2nd. Trae Jones is also decent at creating shots for others and getting to the hoop but he doesn’t have a good enough in between game and can be easily mitigated at the rim due to his stature. Not too mention guys will play off him because he isn’t a good 3 point shooter.

I think Devin will play fine next to DJ in the starting lineup because he will not be asked to create much and he is a decent off ball player. Hopefully Primo is more aggressive now that he should get more playing time but I also hope he takes better care of the ball while having that uptick in his aggression.

D-Robinson 50 fan
02-11-2022, 08:54 AM
I think Pop isn’t going to get too cute with the new rotations or minutes allocation

starters will be
DJ
Devin
Doug
Keldon
Jakob

bench heavy minute getters will be
Lonnie
Joshua
Richardson
Keita
Zach

i wouldn’t be surprised to see Pop play smaller with the bench having Trae, Lonnie, Joshua, Richardson, and Zach playing good minutes together also

r0drig0lac
02-11-2022, 09:19 AM
DJ/Josh/Keldon/KBD/Jak please

YoungbuckMurray
02-11-2022, 09:29 AM
I think you have to give Langford a real opportunity with consistent minutes. See if you have something with him as a solid rotation piece

Dex
02-11-2022, 09:46 AM
I don't love Lonnie in the starting lineup. I think he has more freedom and better chemistry with the bench...if he is out there with Murray/Johnson/Poeltl the majority of the time, he is just going to sit in the corner and do his usual drive and kick nonsense.

As others have said though, this could be his last chance to prove to the Spurs he has what it takes...or prove it to another team, at least. I wouldn't be surprised if Pop gives him the nod for that reason alone.

Based on how the season is going, I'd rather see Pop experimenting with guys like Vassell or Primo. I think Richardson is a known commodity and probably makes more sense coming off the bench.

Pretty sure it is assumed that the Spurs will buy out Dragic...and apparently there are multiple suitors waiting for him out there.

My preference:

Murray / Jones
Vassell / Primo / Langford
McD / Richardson or Walker
Johnson / KBD
Poeltl / Collins / Landale

KingKev
02-11-2022, 09:48 AM
No use on speculating rotations now. We are fully committed to a rebuild.

The only thing I see here is that it won’t take mutch for Richardson and/or Langford to supplant Walker.

I’d rather see what those two have to offer than give Walker any more chances.

Primo needs to stay in Austin full-time.

Dex
02-11-2022, 09:57 AM

The only thing I see here is that it won’t take mutch for Richardson and/or Langford to supplant Walker.

Disagree on Primo. Maybe with the old rotation...but real minutes are officially up for grabs now.

I said all along that Primo would probably be back with the big boy club by the end of January, and here we are.

XDT76
02-11-2022, 10:18 AM
We will be able to know the rotation in a few hours time

YoungbuckMurray
02-11-2022, 10:22 AM
We will be able to know the rotation in a few hours time
Doubt Richardson/Langford are available tonight

MannyIsGod
02-11-2022, 10:31 AM

The fact that we are rebuilding is precisely why I want to speculate on rotations. The remaining season will tell us a lot about what the Spurs priorities are and how they will approach the off-season

Leetonidas
02-11-2022, 10:43 AM
I'm guessing none of the new guys will be available tonight?

Uriel
02-11-2022, 10:46 AM
Is it a given that Zollins is going to get the backup C role over Landale?

Dex
02-11-2022, 11:00 AM

I don't think anything is a given at this point, but that would make the most sense to me if he is healthy.

Leetonidas
02-11-2022, 11:16 AM

I hope so. Zollins >>>> Landfill

KingKev
02-11-2022, 11:47 AM
The fact that we are rebuilding is precisely why I want to speculate on rotations. The remaining season will tell us a lot about what the Spurs priorities are and how they will approach the off-season

You are going to see an array of lineups on a nightly basis. There will not be even close to a regular rotation.

Everyone is going to get some time as we are in full player evaluation mode.

KingKev
02-11-2022, 11:51 AM
Disagree on Primo. Maybe with the old rotation...but real minutes are officially up for grabs now.

I said all along that Primo would probably be back with the big boy club by the end of January, and here we are.

He is a guaranteed part of our future so it makes sense for him to have a very rigid, structred development path in Austin while the main team continues to evaluate what todo with players like Langford, Richardson, Vassell and to a lesser extent Walker (who I think is 99.9% gone) whom we need to make more near term decisions on.

The Forbes trade was never meant to open up minutes for Primo and either were these deadline deals.

John B
02-11-2022, 11:59 AM

I really like Zollins to work on his mobility in closing outs and become a PF next to Poeltl (for now). That is the only way Keldon can slide to SF 3 and D where he is leading the league in 3’s, and I see he’s working hard on his lateral (I really hope Bowen can work with him on pestering people :lol).

But yeah Zollins in PF and Landale as backup C.

MannyIsGod
02-11-2022, 12:20 PM

I certainly think its his to lose.

MannyIsGod
02-11-2022, 12:20 PM
You are going to see an array of lineups on a nightly basis. There will not be even close to a regular rotation.

Yeah I don't think this is right at all. We're definitely going to have a rotation.

KingKev
02-11-2022, 12:30 PM
Yeah I don't think this is right at all. We're definitely going to have a rotation.

We haven’t had close to a rotation all year and it is only going to be more spurraric while we evaluate new players on our roster.

YoungbuckMurray
02-11-2022, 12:51 PM

i honestly like that tho. The only guys that should be playing normal starters minutes should be DJ and to an extent Poetl/Keldon (but on lower end of starter mins) the rest should play fairly even mins. Would like to go like 12-13 deep. We are young and pretty athletic so we should be playing with high pace imo

MannyIsGod
02-11-2022, 12:59 PM
We haven’t had close to a rotation all year and it is only going to be more spurraric while we evaluate new players on our roster.

We've had a clear rotation all year that changes when players go out but has basically been the same as day 1 when everyone is fully healthy with the exception of changes with the bigs.

Dverde
02-11-2022, 01:10 PM
I hope the lineup is DJ, Vassell, Keldon, Doug, Poodle. Richardson get about 20 minutes off the bench. Make Romeo earn his minutes.

John B
02-11-2022, 01:42 PM
I hope the lineup is DJ, Vassell, Keldon, Doug, Poodle. Richardson get about 20 minutes off the bench. Make Romeo earn his minutes.

I think Langford has more upside being young and has nose for defense. He was guarding LeBron in his rookie year and was doing a great job.

Drom John
02-11-2022, 01:43 PM
Minutes per game of Spurs acquired after December, when Greg Popovich was coach.

2020-2021
11.3 Gorgui Dieng
8.2 Keita Bates-Diop

2019-2020
2.0 Tyler Zeller

2018-2019
4.3 Donatas Motiejunas

2017-2018
No player acquired after December

2016-2017
6.4 Joel Anthony

2015-2016
16.3 Kevin Martin
13.9 Andre Miller

2014-2015
6.3 JaMychal Green
5.3 Reggie Williams

2013-2014
10.3 Shannon Brown
8.5 Othyus Jeffers

2012-2013
8.8 Aron Baynes
None Tracy McGrady (5.2 playoffs)

2011-2012
23.8 Stephen Jackson
20.3 Boris Diaw
18.5 Derrick Byars
9.8 Eric Dawson
9.5 Justin Dentmon
5.0 Malcolm Thomas

2010-2011
11.5 Danny Green (signed/waived for 6 days in November, signed March)
8.6 Steve Novak
8.0 Othyus Jeffers

2009-2010
14.8 Garrett Temple
8.3 Cedric Jackson

2008-2009
16.8 Drew Gooden
7.7 Austin Croshere
6.7 Pops Mensah-Bonsu

2007-2008
18.7 Kurt Thomas
13.3 Damon Stoudamire
6.7 Bobby Jones
5.8 Jeremy Richardson

2006-2007
10.8 Melvin Ely

2005-2006

2004-2005
18.0 Nazr Mohammed
17.4 Glenn Robinson
9.7 Dion Glover

2003-2004
11.8 Charlie Ward
7.3 Matt Carroll

2002-2003
No player acquired after December.

2001-2002
No player acquired after December.

2000-2001

1999-2000

1998-1999
15.5 Jerome Kersey

1997-1998
11.3 Brad Lohaus
3.3 Willie Burton

1996-1997
16.2 Jamie Feick
10.3 Jason Sasser
9.6 Joe Courtney
8.0 Darrin Hancock
8.0 Devin Gray

D-Robinson 50 fan
02-11-2022, 03:02 PM
I don't love Lonnie in the starting lineup. I think he has more freedom and better chemistry with the bench...if he is out there with Murray/Johnson/Poeltl the majority of the time, he is just going to sit in the corner and do his usual drive and kick nonsense.

As others have said though, this could be his last chance to prove to the Spurs he has what it takes...or prove it to another team, at least. I wouldn't be surprised if Pop gives him the nod for that reason alone.

Based on how the season is going, I'd rather see Pop experimenting with guys like Vassell or Primo. I think Richardson is a known commodity and probably makes more sense coming off the bench.

Pretty sure it is assumed that the Spurs will buy out Dragic...and apparently there are multiple suitors waiting for him out there.

My preference:

Murray / Jones
Vassell / Primo / Langford
McD / Richardson or Walker
Johnson / KBD
Poeltl / Collins / Landale

i agree with this post 95%

i think Lonnie will get more minutes than Trae and Richardson unless he just shits the bed the first couple of games and they play decent enough to supplant him.

But I agree with everything else you stated. Lonnie does better when he can have the ball more offensively and I think this is his chance to prove to this team, other teams, and most importantly himself that he is better than an end of the bench NBA player. I hope he comes out and stays aggressive (good or bad results) for the rest of the season.

rjv
02-11-2022, 03:16 PM
lonnie is on the clock now.

Larry O
02-11-2022, 03:37 PM
DV24 will start in place of the parting DW4. Devin has earned it, & he will do well, as his confidence improves! GSG!!!

MannyIsGod
02-11-2022, 03:48 PM
None of the new players will be available till Monday.

offset formation
02-11-2022, 05:48 PM
i honestly like that tho. The only guys that should be playing normal starters minutes should be DJ and to an extent Poetl/Keldon (but on lower end of starter mins) the rest should play fairly even mins. Would like to go like 12-13 deep. We are young and pretty athletic so we should be playing with high pace imo

Pop said that asclearly as you just did at the start of the season than proceeded to play a few guys 30+ minutes/game despite saying the opposite. So I have a sneaking suspicion that he'll keep doing that, though obviously this is now a different situation post trade deadline.

Ocotillo
02-11-2022, 05:59 PM
None of the new players will be available till Monday. Has that been reported somewhere? BTB coming before that :dizzy

MannyIsGod
02-11-2022, 06:18 PM
Has that been reported somewhere? BTB coming before that :dizzy

https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/1492171294946775053?t=s8e6CvNyYlIUffsIFqbC_w&s=19

Dejounte
02-11-2022, 06:21 PM
So Vassell starts…

Vassell/ Lonnie/ Richardson
Keldon/ Primo/ Wieskamp/ Langford
McDermott/ KBD/ Cacok
Poeltl/ Collins/ Landale

G - Murray
G - Goran Dragic
G - Tre Jones
G - Tomas Satoransky
G/W - Primo
G/W - Lonnie
G/W - Josh Richardson
W - Wieskamp
W - Romeo Langford
W/F - Vassell
F - McDermott
F - Keldon Johnson
F/C - KBD
F/C - Cacok
C - Poeltl
C - Z. Collins
C - Landale

KingKev
02-11-2022, 08:51 PM
So Vassell starts…

Vassell/ Lonnie/ Richardson
Keldon/ Primo/ Wieskamp/ Langford
McDermott/ KBD/ Cacok
Poeltl/ Collins/ Landale

G - Murray
G - Goran Dragic
G - Tre Jones
G - Tomas Satoransky
G/W - Primo
G/W - Lonnie
G/W - Josh Richardson
W - Wieskamp
W - Romeo Langford
W/F - Vassell
F - McDermott
F - Keldon Johnson
F/C - KBD
F/C - Cacok
C - Poeltl
C - Z. Collins
C - Landale

Dragic will never play a minut. Satoransky is just an extra body if required. Richardson will leap frog Walker within days.

Langford, Weiskamp and Primo are spending most of their time in Austin to end the year.

mo7888
02-11-2022, 09:56 PM
Dragic will never play a minut. Satoransky is just an extra body if required. Richardson will leap frog Walker within days.

Langford, Weiskamp and Primo are spending most of their time in Austin to end the year.

I don't think Langford is going to Austin...and I'm not sure Primo is at this point either....I agree with the rest...

Dejounte
02-11-2022, 11:00 PM
https://i.ibb.co/rM5Y8g7/Screenshot-2022-02-11-215323.png

I like visuals

Yes, I'm aware Goran and Tomas probably will be cut. But until then, I'm putting them here.

Probably overestimating Josh taking minutes and Primo will probably still be first off the bench before him.

Have walked back and forth between W and W/F for Vassell solely because he played some PF this season. But I think that maybe those were out of necessity, i.e. super small ball

rankingtear
02-11-2022, 11:46 PM
Looks like Primo has overtaken Lonnie in the rotation, maybe that was that cryptic IG post was about. Shooting 38% from the field is common in year 1 and tolerable in year 2 but year 4 you can probably get a better player for the minimum.

Leetonidas
02-11-2022, 11:53 PM
Really interested to see Langford, think he might be an underrated gem in the trade. never got a lot of time is Boston because of injuries but had shown flashes. Let's hope Spurs can unlock his potential

mo7888
02-12-2022, 09:10 AM

I like visuals

Yes, I'm aware Goran and Tomas probably will be cut. But until then, I'm putting them here.

Probably overestimating Josh taking minutes and Primo will probably still be first off the bench before him.

Have walked back and forth between W and W/F for Vassell solely because he played some PF this season. But I think that maybe those were out of necessity, i.e. super small ball

I expect Romeo is going to be a tier higher ....other than that I think it's about right..

rascal
02-12-2022, 10:35 AM
Solid chance our 2022-23 opening game starting lineup is Murray, Primo, Vassell, Johnson, and Collins. And I'm fairly confident Murray and Poeltl will each miss the final 15 games with lingering soreness somewhere on their body. I expect that we give Primo and Vassell heavy minutes over the balance of the year. Move Poeltl this summer. And potentially sign and trade Walker.

So you don't think the Spurs will add another stating option through the draft or trade?

talkspurs
02-12-2022, 12:11 PM
-

-Langford vs. Walker? I don't care too much either way. I'd lean Walker because Langford's prove-it year can be next season.

Ide lean the excat opposite way because Walker has already had 2 solid season to prove himself. Langford also will need some time to adjust to the spurs. Would not be upset to see him get some gleague time. after that he should be ahead of lonnie.

talkspurs
02-12-2022, 12:15 PM

Different situation but nazir mohamed and Boris Diaw say hi.

wildbill2u
02-12-2022, 12:18 PM
The gamble here is that 19 year old Primo can run an offense.

Aren't we still going with our All Star DJM at PG running the offense.?? He seems pretty comfortable setting up players with assists and only needs a great shooting 2 to complement his game. Primo doesn't have the 3pt. shot average one would hope for at this point, but let's see if he can do better with regular minutes at the 2. If not, then Richardson has a door open to move into the starting lineup.

Walker simply hasn't developed as hoped. I love his physical abilities, but he is still erratic in shooting and defense. As Sir Charles says, "Deer can run fast and jump high--but you don't find them playing in the NBA."

talkspurs
02-12-2022, 12:23 PM
Walker had no trade value at the deadline and won’t this summer no matter how great he plays. If he signs an offer sheet away from us we can’t S&T him at that point, only match the offer.

in order for us to do this we would have to offer the qualifying offer. I doubt we do that. He should be an unrestricted FA this summer. If we offer the QO Lonnie should jump on that.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-14-2022, 12:17 PM
A couple of games in & this team looks a lot stronger starting Devin and giving Primo more burn in the rotations.

KingKev
02-14-2022, 01:38 PM
in order for us to do this we would have to offer the qualifying offer. I doubt we do that. He should be an unrestricted FA this summer. If we offer the QO Lonnie should jump on that.

It’s best both sides part ways. Anyone that thinks we can get something for him is misguided.

MannyIsGod
02-14-2022, 01:40 PM
I'm pretty excited to see how Richardson is used tonight. I think he'll be given an opportunity to play off the bench. I will be incredibly annoyed if he starts, but I don't think thats much of a possibility.

John B
02-14-2022, 02:15 PM

I like visuals

I expect Lonnie to be ahead of Josh and Co for SG, coming off the bench. Pop will give him every chance to earn that next contract, being a good kid and all. It’s a different story if he’s lazy or feeling entitled. But Lonnie is not, just not as high on Bball IQ unfortunately, sad with all his natural gifts.

Excessive Egotist
02-14-2022, 03:25 PM
So you don't think the Spurs will add another stating option through the draft or trade?

They could. Maybe John Collins, who is always rumored. Of the top prospects, the only two that strike me as potential opening game starters are Banchero and Ivey. Anyone else would start their career on the Spurs bench.

Excessive Egotist
02-14-2022, 03:29 PM
Last week, the Nets and Mavericks generated TPEs large enough to absorb Poeltl on draft night. Poeltl will have a good trade market this summer: Mavericks, Nets, Hornets, Bulls, Timberwolves, Lakers, and Warriors, if Ayton dominates them in the postseason.

Zach Collins' play between now and end of season, plus team doctors, will give indication of whether or not this smart of the Spurs. I'd also like to see Collins next to Poeltl in the rotation. I don't know that it would work, but it's worth testing as we attempt to lose games.

Excessive Egotist
02-14-2022, 03:32 PM
I'm pretty excited to see how Richardson is used tonight. I think he'll be given an opportunity to play off the bench. I will be incredibly annoyed if he starts, but I don't think thats much of a possibility.

I hope he's not used at all. No sense in risking injury or eating into Primo and Devin's minutes. He's one of our better trade pieces at the moment. We should be able to do better with him than we did with Thad Young and Juancho.

Excessive Egotist
02-14-2022, 03:42 PM
I expect Lonnie to be ahead of Josh and Co for SG, coming off the bench. Pop will give him every chance to earn that next contract, being a good kid and all. It’s a different story if he’s lazy or feeling entitled. But Lonnie is not, just not as high on Bball IQ unfortunately, sad with all his natural gifts.

On Lonnie, I agree. Steady minutes and give him every chance to become consistent and establish market value. His value to the Spurs is either as a summer sign and trade or to simply resign him. No team is breaking the bank for him. So we should be able to resign him on a fair value contract (8M? 10M? annual?). He's more valuable coming off our bench than any other team, and there is a good chance he will be an appreciating asset. He needs a personal Wendy Rhoades, tho. Wildly different output from night to night.

Kevin
02-14-2022, 04:00 PM
Just bench Lonnie. They need to see Langford and Primmo while showcasing Richardson. Enough is enough already.

talkspurs
02-14-2022, 07:45 PM
On Lonnie, I agree. Steady minutes and give him every chance to become consistent and establish market value. His value to the Spurs is either as a summer sign and trade or to simply resign him. No team is breaking the bank for him. So we should be able to resign him on a fair value contract (8M? 10M? annual?). He's more valuable coming off our bench than any other team, and there is a good chance he will be an appreciating asset. He needs a personal Wendy Rhoades, tho. Wildly different output from night to night.

Wow your atleast double what he would get, he might even be a min type player. Lonnie really has no value to us. no team would do a sign and trade for him unless sending back bad contracts or something like what happened with doug. Since he wont get anywhere close to the MLE so reason to do a sign and trade for them. As far as being on our team he wouldnt be playing as other players should play over him. So he is either takeing time and money away from others or sitting at end of bench. Unless he improves he would not be an appreciating asset. Since I dont see that happening he would just be there.

Excessive Egotist
02-14-2022, 08:04 PM
Wow your atleast double what he would get, he might even be a min type player. Lonnie really has no value to us. no team would do a sign and trade for him unless sending back bad contracts or something like what happened with doug. Since he wont get anywhere close to the MLE so reason to do a sign and trade for them. As far as being on our team he wouldnt be playing as other players should play over him. So he is either takeing time and money away from others or sitting at end of bench. Unless he improves he would not be an appreciating asset. Since I dont see that happening he would just be there.

I'd feel really comfortable with an initial offer of 4 yrs/28M. It would be awesome to put that on a de-escalating deal so the out years gave the Spurs even more breathing room for DJ's max summer. By that time, the Spurs will might have a another max guy under contract too.

talkspurs
02-14-2022, 08:38 PM
I'd feel really comfortable with an initial offer of 4 yrs/28M. It would be awesome to put that on a de-escalating deal so the out years gave the Spurs even more breathing room for DJ's max summer. By that time, the Spurs will might have a another max guy under contract too.

I think your way off but I guess we will see this summer.

Texas_Ranger
02-15-2022, 09:19 AM
Goran Dragic has agreed to a contract buyout with the Spurs and is entering free agency, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. A slew of teams will now pursue the 14-year veteran.

KingKev
02-15-2022, 09:35 AM

Walker has no place on this team, he won’t get much attention in FA and I see no reason for the Spurs to offer him anything.

mo7888
02-15-2022, 09:45 AM

Based on 3 pretty good games? I'm not feeling that... if he can continue this for the rest of the season it might be worth discussing but, I don't think anyone should assume he'll keep doing this based on 3 games when we have a much longer history to look back on that tells a different tale..

Atl Spur
02-15-2022, 10:28 AM
Walker has no place on this team, he won’t get much attention in FA and I see no reason for the Spurs to offer him anything.

This

Atl Spur
02-15-2022, 10:29 AM
Based on 3 pretty good games? I'm not feeling that... if he can continue this for the rest of the season it might be worth discussing but, I don't think anyone should assume he'll keep doing this based on 3 games when we have a much longer history to look back on that tells a different tale..

This

Gagnrath
02-15-2022, 10:48 AM
I really like Zollins to work on his mobility in closing outs and become a PF next to Poeltl (for now). That is the only way Keldon can slide to SF 3 and D where he is leading the league in 3’s, and I see he’s working hard on his lateral (I really hope Bowen can work with him on pestering people :lol).

But yeah Zollins in PF and Landale as backup C.

Z Collins as he was before the serious leg injuries looked to be a center who had some PF minutes in him. Leg injuries very rarely make one quicker and more mobile/agile. So it's not very realistic to pencil Z.Collins in for many of minutes. I sort of see Landale Collins and Poetle all being reasonable centers with Poetle the clear starter but all three being viewed as able to be moved for a gain, though I also feel like they would be given some say, especially Londale with his coming to the Spurs specifically.

MannyIsGod
02-15-2022, 11:05 AM
I feel like people who think that Collins can play PF aren't watching much NBA outside of the Spurs. He's a center and its pretty clear that he's a center, IMO.

John B
02-15-2022, 11:19 AM
Z Collins as he was before the serious leg injuries looked to be a center who had some PF minutes in him. Leg injuries very rarely make one quicker and more mobile/agile. So it's not very realistic to pencil Z.Collins in for many of minutes. I sort of see Landale Collins and Poetle all being reasonable centers with Poetle the clear starter but all three being viewed as able to be moved for a gain, though I also feel like they would be given some say, especially Londale with his coming to the Spurs specifically.

I like Landale, but his game has yet to translate to NBA. It’s his rookie year and it’s understandable when finally he’s playing against the best basketball players, the NBA. The Zollins for PF is a wishful thinking. We always get beat in the offensive rebounds by some random guys. I like to give Poeltl an excuse that he’s partnered with an undersized PF. But the truth is, Poeltl doesn’t box out with his body and rely heavily on his height. If you check his body position, he’s straight and arms in, instead of hips out and arms out to coral a rebound. His proponents would point out his advanced metrics, but I call it when I see it. He could be better is what I’m saying. Even the Hawks commentator the other night was saying it, “Poeltl was getting beat out there.” Just notice Zollins body language when he’s out there, fierce and fighting for that 50/50 ball. He’s just going to get better the more he trust his body and strength. Honestly I would love if Spurs get Walker Kessler this draft for the Raptor pick. The Charlotte deal would’ve been great, Poeltl for PJ Washington and Kai Jones, but they opted for Harrell. That would’ve addressed some of the concerns. And knowing the Spurs were discussing that trade, they see the same flaws I see on Poeltl.