PDA

View Full Version : Gregg Popovich Closes In on Another NBA Milestone

Budkin
02-16-2022, 05:29 PM
:pop:

Gregg Popovich Closes In on Another NBA Milestone

With four more victories, the San Antonio Spurs coach will set a new NBA record for regular-season wins—but his legacy is greater than that.

Jeff Chiu/AP
Tim Duncan was nearing the end of his Basketball Hall of Fame induction speech last May when the moment that nearly everyone in the audience had been waiting for arrived. Having paid respects to his family and teammates, coaches and trainers, having spoken of his love for the San Antonio Spurs, his famously stoic voice cracking at times, Duncan could avoid a certain topic no longer.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/gregg-popovich-record-wins/

bluebellmaniac
02-16-2022, 11:45 PM
Wow, there should be a thread for this!

bdictjames
02-17-2022, 08:35 PM
Excellent thread. That interview with Sager was tough. Pop man.. what a guy. We are truly blessed, as Spurs fans, to have had all these great players, coaches, and staff, throughout the years. Go Spurs Go!

rjv
02-18-2022, 10:30 AM
great interview. pop gets roasted on this forum but the real litmus test of his character (his colleagues and those that have played for him) extols him. what i got most out of the article though was when pop told a reporter that he/she ought not to try coaching. that's pretty heady advice that could easily be levied against many ST posters.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-18-2022, 12:24 PM
great interview. pop gets roasted on this forum but the real litmus test of his character (his colleagues and those that have played for him) extols him. what i got most out of the article though was when pop told a reporter that he/she ought not to try coaching. that's pretty heady advice that could easily be levied against many ST posters.

It's because his haters on this site, guys like duncan2k5, have never actually stepped foot on a basketball court at any level beyond grade or middle school, and probably have no idea of the challenges of coaching and putting a team together. People who understand the game know that Pop is a great coach. I've questioned some of his decisions, at times, but I don't question what he's brought, overall, to the Spurs over the years.

Forums like this are great because everyone can fly around looking super smart from behind an anonymous keyboard with hindsight as their co-pilot.

And then there's ducks, who only looks up from sucking Trump's d!ck long enough to spout idiotic insults at Pop once in a while. He's on his own level of stupid, though, so I'll actually refrain from mentioning him here.

rjv
02-18-2022, 12:45 PM
It's because his haters on this site, guys like duncan2k5, have never actually stepped foot on a basketball court at any level beyond grade or middle school, and probably have no idea of the challenges of coaching and putting a team together. People who understand the game know that Pop is a great coach. I've questioned some of his decisions, at times, but I don't question what he's brought, overall, to the Spurs over the years.

Forums like this are great because everyone can fly around looking super smart from behind an anonymous keyboard with hindsight as their co-pilot.

And then there's ducks, who only looks up from sucking Trump's d!ck long enough to spout idiotic insults at Pop once in a while. He's on his own level of stupid, though, so I'll actually refrain from mentioning him here.

:bobo

and LOL @ the ducks observation; he's definitely in his own subspecies.