PDA

View Full Version : DJ Stewart and Robert Woodard II signed to 2 way contracts

exstatic
03-04-2022, 05:51 PM
RW II played well in the Gubble for us as a Sacto assignee.

Leetonidas
03-04-2022, 05:55 PM
Cacock and Wieskamp converted to standard contracts also

exstatic
03-04-2022, 05:57 PM
Cacock and Wieskamp converted to standard contracts also

It was posted in the Austin Toros thread.

mo7888
03-04-2022, 06:13 PM
I believe they both played together at Mississippi State and Quindary may have been on the team then too (could have been a year earlier though)...

RW has a chance to become a 3D guy in our development program.

Robz4000
03-04-2022, 06:14 PM
Spurs about to go full tank mode after Pop gets his record :hungry:

Robz4000
03-04-2022, 06:15 PM
I believe they both played together at Mississippi State and Quindary may have been on the team then too (could have been a year earlier though)...

RW has a chance to become a 3D guy in our development program.

IIRC, he was the guy the Spurs were targeting with their SRP last year but was taken right before they picked.

Degoat
03-04-2022, 06:18 PM
I liked Robert Woodard a lot two drafts ago

PhantomDashCam
03-04-2022, 07:39 PM
I know Woodard has his fans here but I’ve never been enamoured with his play. He kind of reminds me a little bit of Cacok.
They are good players but are limited in their versatility for NBA pro-ball.

DJ’s physical profile and NBADraft.net’s scouting report are interesting…Late bloomer type.

A wing with a +8 inch wingspan 7’0.5 to his barefoot height 6’4.5) gives him incredible length to be disruptive as a ball handler and rebounder …

Blake Wesley-esque….

mo7888
03-04-2022, 07:51 PM
I know Woodard has his fans here but I’ve never been enamoured with his play. He kind of reminds me a little bit of Cacok.

DJ’s physical profile and NBADraft.net’s scouting report are interesting…Late bloomer type.

Blake Wesley-esque….

I don't get the Cacock similarity. RW was a 40% 3pt guy his senior season in college, I don't think cacock ever flashed anything like that.

John B
03-04-2022, 07:52 PM
How many guards do Sours have now? :lol:lol

exstatic
03-04-2022, 07:55 PM

Blake Wesley-esque….

RW II isn’t much like Cacok. His better analog is Keldon, not as good shooting, better rebounding. He’s a good get on a 2 way. He should fit in fine in Austin, as there’s still a few guys from the Gubble.

PhantomDashCam
03-04-2022, 08:07 PM
I don't get the Cacock similarity. RW was a 40% 3pt guy his senior season in college, I don't think cacock ever flashed anything like that.

You’re right. I should have been more clear.
They’re dissimilar in the way they play but their physical profile is eerily similar.
I also feel they both suffer from lack of defensive advantages in likely direct matchups, except in strength, which is mitigated mostly by their lack of height.

Chinook
03-04-2022, 08:20 PM
I like Woodard as a speculative signing, but I would have preferred a smaller guard with the second slot. I don't know enough about Stewart to know if he's bad or anything, but the team should have some depth at PG in case of injury/virus, and you never know if they're going to keep Jones next year (more because he could fit into a trade rather than them cutting him).

Dejounte
03-04-2022, 08:55 PM
Woodard is really good from the times I watched him in the G League

exstatic
03-04-2022, 08:59 PM
Repeat after me:

They’re two way contracts. It’s OK if they’re borderline NBA players.

XDT76
03-04-2022, 09:34 PM
We are really gonna build a 6'6 and below squad

PhantomDashCam
03-04-2022, 10:03 PM
Repeat after me:

They’re two way contracts. It’s OK if they’re borderline NBA players.

Yeah, unless you’re a likely lottery/play-in team and can’t distinguish between such. Think Pondexter, Demarre Carroll etc.

I’m not putting these guys into that bracket, at least yet, and I’m happy they’re continuing to look for talent; but accepting borderline NBA players shouldn’t be in their thought process at all.

I’m hoping they are looking for more from them, perhaps seeing them as under-utilised, youthful talents…
and they’re taking a late season, pre draft look to do just that.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
03-05-2022, 01:51 AM
Stttaaaacckkeddd

Maddog
03-05-2022, 07:45 AM
Does the state of Mississippi have some kind of dirt on the Spurs?

mo7888
03-05-2022, 08:34 AM
Does the state of Mississippi have some kind of dirt on the Spurs?

I think the Spurs have some sort of relationship with Howland going back to his ucla days..

exstatic
03-05-2022, 08:34 AM
Yeah, unless you’re a likely lottery/play-in team and can’t distinguish between such. Think Pondexter, Demarre Carroll etc.

I’m not putting these guys into that bracket, at least yet, and I’m happy they’re continuing to look for talent; but accepting borderline NBA players shouldn’t be in their thought process at all.

I’m hoping they are looking for more from them, perhaps seeing them as under-utilised, youthful talents…
and they’re taking a late season, pre draft look to do just that.

You have to fill out your roster somehow. This is exactly how we acquired KBD, a late season cast off signed to a 2 way.

When we start having to pay more players, it becomes important to be able to put inexpensive players at the end of the roster, and if you look at enough of them, you can pick the better ones.

mo7888
03-05-2022, 08:53 AM
On DJ Stewart (I watched him in college but haven't in the G league or his limited stint in Miami)..from what I remember he was a low 30's% guy from 3. He was a plus athlete and physically strong/mature...he used his athleticism to slash to the rim and had a decent mid-range game but, he mostly got his using his athleticism/ strength...I remember I felt he wasn't ready for the next level when he left early. Like I said, I haven't watched him since and don't know if he's developed more to his outside shot... I see him listed as a F but in college he was more of a big 2 guard. If his outside shot is improved he might turn into something and if not he'd only be playable surrounded by plus outside shooters. I'm confident RW will develop into a 3/4 3 and D guy in our system...I'm much less confident in DJ but, I think the athleticism/strength makes for an interesting prospect to chip around the edges at to see if there's some value we can extract...

John B
03-05-2022, 10:48 AM
You have to fill out your roster somehow. This is exactly how we acquired KBD, a late season cast off signed to a 2 way.

When we start having to pay more players, it becomes important to be able to put inexpensive players at the end of the roster, and if you look at enough of them, you can pick the better ones.

I like Woodard from the Gubble. A double-double machine. I don’t know the other player to have any opinion. Both seem to be BAP out there. I understand they are relatively inexpensive and can easily be waived when other players become available through waivers and trade? But do they really have to be both 6’6? The glaring hole is in the PF or athletic big position.

Edit: RW is a 6’7” long forward with 7’1 wingspan and has the promise to be a real 3 and D player. I believe the Spurs are still looking for that Bruce Bowen lockdown defender prevalent in all of their championship runs. Elite physical body for a modern day forward. His college coach has remarable impression of him: “His body is so ripped. I’ve never had a player in 37 years as a coach that has this body. He’s like a Greek figure.” So Spurs are still not sold on Vassell as that 3 and D, nor Lonnie as the spark off the bench. It’s interesting how it will play out as both possible trade fillers to get closer to that elusive tier 1 player.

exstatic
03-05-2022, 11:40 AM
I like Woodard from the Gubble. A double-double machine. I don’t know the other player to have any opinion. Both seem to be BAP out there. I understand they are relatively inexpensive and can easily be waived when other players become available through waivers and trade? But do they really have to be both 6’6? The glaring hole is in the PF or athletic big position.

Edit: RW is a 6’7” long forward with 7’1 wingspan and has the promise to be a real 3 and D player. I believe the Spurs are still looking for that Bruce Bowen lockdown defender prevalent in all of their championship runs. Elite physical body for a modern day forward. His college coach has remarable impression of him: “His body is so ripped. I’ve never had a player in 37 years as a coach that has this body. He’s like a Greek figure.” So Spurs are still not sold on Vassell as that 3 and D, nor Lonnie as the spark off the bench. It’s interesting how it will play out as both possible trade fillers to get closer to that elusive tier 1 player.

Hot take: none of these guys are going to come in and displace FRPs. Vassell has nothing to worry about.

I like RW II, but he’ll be really lucky to maximize his oppo like KBD did and be in the rotation. He’s not bumping out a starter like Vassell. No way, no day.

Atl Spur
03-05-2022, 12:16 PM
Hot take: none of these guys are going to come in and displace FRPs. Vassell has nothing to worry about.

I like RW II, but he’ll be really lucky to maximize his oppo like KBD did and be in the rotation. He’s not bumping out a starter like Vassell. No way, no day.

Never say never………… Middleton says hello. May be unlikely but not impossible

Sugus
03-05-2022, 12:24 PM
Never say never………… Middleton says hello. May be unlikely but not impossible

I mean, that's not necessarily a bad thing at all. If RW really ups his game to a level where he becomes starting-calibre (and also, should Vassell fail to develop/suck enough to lose his grip on the spot), there's no problem at all with giving him the position. It's a non-issue. Let everyone play, and the chips fall where they may... It's not like DV has secured the starting position for eternity, or close to it. Competition amongst prospects is never a bad thing.

John B
03-05-2022, 12:38 PM

I’m just saying, if the opportunity arises and you need to add a player of value (Vassell) to a trade to get close to that tier 1, Woodard comes as an insurance. I like Vassell. I hate if they would move him. But Spurs are in dire need of that Tier 1 to pair with Murray. And yes. Never say never.

rankingtear
03-05-2022, 01:13 PM
Robert Woodard is closer to Jae Crowder type. 6'6 235. Maybe 3 and D player. Spurs type personality. No idea who DJ is but Miami did sign and waive him so that is somewhat promising. Robert Woodard shot 40 but volume is almost nothing.

Gagnrath
03-05-2022, 02:15 PM
Ok now I am little bit lost. The Spurs have a log jam at the two guard spot and really only have Keldon as a 3. (Vassell and Walker can both slide down as reserves, to spell Keldon for awhile but neither have the physicality to play large minutes there.) Instead of signing power forward prospects and tweener forwards they sign a guy who is definitely a 2 and a guy who has legit 3 height but is also more guard oriented in mindset.

I don't understand pop and front office. For years now you have looked at the roster and seen there are not more than one legit power forward on the roster, and that was usually a end of bench guy. Duncan meant that for the first 15 years of your NBA career you weren't really looking for a PF, I get it but you had to realize that having a legit of that wasn't a scrub makes sense right? I also get that the last 3/4 years Duncan was in the league he played more as a center than as a power forward. That doesn't mean you can slot down a fairly immobile center to play of for long stretches especially in a more outside shooting oriented league.

McDermott is Matt Bonner without red hair I also haven't asked him about sandwiches. Note now I want a sandwich. I feel like subway should have went with Matt not Jared. The SAS need to have a real power forward, and while Bates -Diop physically is ok he is barely a rotation player, Doug McDermott is a pretty decent stretch 4 but as always that's situational and he can't hold his own long term on the boards or on defense especially matched against a fresh starter level player.

I get pulling 10 days and two way contract guys to see if you can polish rocks into gems but come on Spurs, pick the right size rocks.

Atl Spur
03-05-2022, 09:29 PM
Pop isn’t trying to win

mo7888
03-05-2022, 10:25 PM
Tonight's stats from:

����
Robert Woodard II 21 PTS, 7 REB, 3 AST
Damyean Dotson 19 PTS, 3 REB, 3 AST
Devontae Cacok 17 PTS, 13 REB
Denzel Mahoney 12 PTS, 3 AST
Aric Holman 11 PTS, 7 REB, 3 AST

Strong start...also on that Miss State connection... Aric Holman played there in college as well..

John B
03-06-2022, 05:29 AM
Tonight's stats from:

����
Robert Woodard II 21 PTS, 7 REB, 3 AST
Damyean Dotson 19 PTS, 3 REB, 3 AST
Devontae Cacok 17 PTS, 13 REB
Denzel Mahoney 12 PTS, 3 AST
Aric Holman 11 PTS, 7 REB, 3 AST

Strong start...also on that Miss State connection... Aric Holman played there in college as well..

DJ Stewart didn’t play? I like Woodard as a potential 3 and D and someone who can really create for himself.

Dejounte
03-06-2022, 07:07 AM
The fact that they didn’t give the two way contract to Jaylen Morris whom they gave 10 day contract to earlier in the season and has spent a lot of time with the Spurs shows that they coveted DJ Stewart to some degree. He looks like a Bennedict Mathurin/ Jonathon Simmons type player, and a more promising prospect than Langford. While Stewart might just end up being practice fodder or a cut down the line, I’ll repeat what I’ve said before: Langford will be barely given a chance with the Spurs (maybe they’ll use him to give players rest after the Spurs are eliminated from play-in contention) and will be let go for nothing.

Dejounte
03-06-2022, 07:33 AM
Murray/ Tre
Vassell/ Lonnie/ Primo/ Stewart Jr
Keldon/ Richardson/ Wieskamp/ Woodard II/ Langford
McDermott/ KBD/ Cacok
Poeltl/ Collins/ Landale

G - Murray
G - Tre Jones
G/W - Primo
G/W - Josh Richardson
G/W - Lonnie
W - Wieskamp
W - DJ Stewart II
W - Romeo Langford
W/F - Vassell
F - McDermott
F - Keldon Johnson
F - Robert Woodard II
F/C - KBD
F/C - Cacok
C - Poeltl
C - Z. Collins
C - Landale

IMO, unless Vassell expands his game a lot, he is looking very expendable. It’s not similar to hoping Keldon will develop a 3 pt shot someday— Vassell is limited to what he can do because of his body. It doesn’t look like he can add much to his frame either.

Though Woodard has an outside shot of making the roster, I’m rooting for him as he adds some much needed toughness and physicality to the team. The guy plays bully ball and it’s been a long time since the Spurs have had that.

KingKev
03-06-2022, 07:36 AM
The fact that they didn’t give the two way contract to Cam Reynolds whom they gave 10 days to earlier in the season and has spent a lot of time with the Spurs shows that they coveted DJ Stewart to some degree. He looks like a Bennedict Mathurin/ Jonathon Simmons type player, and a more promising prospect than Langford. While he might just end up being practice fodder or a cut down the line, I’ll repeat what I’ve said before: Langford will be barely given a chance with the Spurs (maybe they’ll use him to give players rest after the Spurs are eliminated from play-in contention) and will be let go for nothing.

We’ve shown that anyone at the end of the bench is a candidate to be cut regardless of price.

Langford will be given a chance is he looks solid in practice and does the right things culture wise, but they won’t think twice to eat that final year if the roster spot is required for a harder working player.

He’ll have value as potential salary match in what is probably going to be a busy off-season.

mo7888
03-06-2022, 08:11 AM
DJ Stewart didn’t play? I like Woodard as a potential 3 and D and someone who can really create for himself.

DJ had 6 points 2 assists and 2 boards

Atl Spur
03-06-2022, 12:27 PM
Do we know what Langford has to offer? Let’s not assume the Spurs don’t recognize him as being valuable.

Cklbmk
03-06-2022, 07:05 PM
I like the Woodard gamble a lot. He was one of my favs in the draft because of just how well rounded he seemed as a person

high character end of rotation guys are always nice. If he becomes more, cool. but for a min? win

exstatic
03-06-2022, 10:03 PM
I like the Woodard gamble a lot. He was one of my favs in the draft because of just how well rounded he seemed as a person

high character end of rotation guys are always nice. If he becomes more, cool. but for a min? win

Two ways don’t even make minimum, something like 45 days prorated, which is all they’re allowed to spend with the big club.

mo7888
03-06-2022, 10:05 PM
Two ways don’t even make minimum, something like 45 days prorated, which is all they’re allowed to spend with the big club.

Normally that's right but, didn't they change and extend that this year because of covid protocols?

exstatic
03-06-2022, 10:08 PM
Normally that's right but, didn't they change and extend that this year because of covid protocols?

I think that was last season, but I thought they put it back. The only rule bending I remember was early 10 days because of Covid, and more of them allowed.