PDA

View Full Version : I'm watching Sopranos for the first time...

Trill Clinton
03-09-2022, 03:08 PM
And Tony Soprano has to be the most unlikable main characters ever. Nothing is compelling about the guy.

lefty
03-09-2022, 03:15 PM
This show is overrated tbh
People thought it was cool to have a mob dude visiting his psychiatrist every week

Trill Clinton
03-09-2022, 03:22 PM
People thought it was cool to have a mob dude visiting his psychiatrist every week

I agree. I'm on S5 so I might as well finish it but it's very repetitive. Every season a new cousin or friend is introduced only for Tony to kill him.

Reck
03-09-2022, 03:22 PM

How is it overrated?

lefty
03-09-2022, 03:41 PM
How is it overrated?
Yes

Reck
03-09-2022, 03:46 PM
Yes

Just curious is all.

It's the equivalent of saying Breaking Bad, The Wire and even Game of Thrones is overrated. You won't see better writing in any shows like these guys did it. (Except for when fat man ran out of material to write for GOT)

Bynumite
03-09-2022, 04:54 PM
It's okay OP. Tony's not very fond of the moulinyan either.

lefty
03-09-2022, 05:08 PM
Just curious is all.

It's the equivalent of saying Breaking Bad, The Wire and even Game of Thrones is overrated. You won't see better writing in any shows like these guys did it. (Except for when fat man ran out of material to write for GOT)
Too repetitive imo

Haven't watched the other shows you mentioned so can't judge tbh

Trill Clinton
03-09-2022, 05:39 PM
Just curious is all.

I'd put this show on the same level as boardwalk empire.

DMC
03-09-2022, 05:40 PM
I like unlikeable main characters, as long as they are unlikeable for something other than their poor acting.

Bynumite
03-09-2022, 05:54 PM
but when Tony called Meadow's half black, half jewish boyfriend "Jamal Ginsberg, the hasidic homeboy". You've got to admit that was hilarious :lol

leemajors
03-09-2022, 06:50 PM
I'd put this show on the same level as boardwalk empire.

I think the first 2 seasons are noticeably better than the rest. It's definitely nowhere near the Wire for quality, imo

benefactor
03-09-2022, 09:25 PM
I think the first 2 seasons are noticeably better than the rest. It's definitely nowhere near the Wire for quality, imo
Nothing is tbh

InRareForm
03-09-2022, 11:00 PM
Yall trippen. Goat show

DMC
03-09-2022, 11:19 PM
Yall trippen. Goat show

Other than the pure Vito episode.

baseline bum
03-10-2022, 12:32 AM

That one still had its moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUgHDXOdUos

DJR210
03-10-2022, 01:44 AM
GOAT show

Johnny Cakes
03-10-2022, 11:29 AM
That one still had its moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUgHDXOdUos

Best episode ever

MultiTroll
03-10-2022, 11:57 AM
And Tony Soprano has to be the most unlikable main characters ever. Nothing is compelling about the guy.
This could have been the huge turning point in the show and continuing forward.
Addresses the core center of what's going on. The Dr. hits nail on the head 100.
Carmella seeks out advice for her living off of blood money and the moral cesspool / mega user that Tony along with her life.

https://youtu.be/bzVeLjj6Ao8
Instead of following his advice she finds a 2nd opinion in a Catholic priest who wants to keep the ca ching ca ching $$ contributions coming in.

MultiTroll
03-10-2022, 12:18 PM
Another chance for a great direction was the Russian guy that Paulie and Christoduh cowardly bullied up on in the freezing state park in Pine Barrens.
Would have loved to have seen Russian survive and comeback and rail the phuck out of those two.

David Chase had a ton of viewers want to know what happened to Russian dude.
He finally answered but was real surly and just said words to the effect of "He's gone, who gives a f." :rolleyes

paperboy77
03-10-2022, 07:49 PM

This is an excellent show. It took me three times to actually get past the first episode but after a while Tony grows on you. Great show.

paperboy77
03-10-2022, 07:50 PM
I agree. I'm on S5 so I might as well finish it but it's very repetitive. Every season a new cousin or friend is introduced only for Tony to kill him.

Daym. A patient man here. By now you shoulda quit watching.

paperboy77
03-10-2022, 07:51 PM
It's okay OP. Tony's not very fond of the moulinyan either.

:lmao

paperboy77
03-10-2022, 07:55 PM

That's wild, I've heard this many times. I always tried to like The Wire and do but it's not #1 like many say. I think it would crack the top 5 but could easily be replaced.

Trill Clinton
03-10-2022, 07:56 PM
Daym. A patient man here. By now you shoulda quit watching.

Nah I'm going to finish it fam. The best characters on the show get killed off too quick( Tony blundetto, Richie) Christopher is about to die any day now. They turned Furio into Fabio....just terrible.

MultiTroll
03-10-2022, 08:34 PM
They turned Furio into Fabio....just terrible.
IRL he was blabbing future story lines so got himself written out.

paperboy77
03-10-2022, 09:15 PM
Nah I'm going to finish it fam. The best characters on the show get killed off too quick( Tony blundetto, Richie) Christopher is about to die any day now. They turned Furio into Fabio....just terrible.

Well... I myself have found myself watching the most boring movies ever. Don't think I could sit thru a whole fucking series that sux.

spurraider21
03-14-2022, 08:22 PM
it really is a great show. but its more about family/relationships than mob stuff. people who are disappointing are expecting goodfellas or scarface or something, and sopranos isnt that. its mostly a slow burn

one of the things i really appreciated about the show is the comedy. sometimes subtle, sometimes not

with that said, some of the plotlines do get repetitive. tony even comments as much when he compares feech to richie. then you have johny sack wanting to hit carmine, then vice versa.

but once i start watching random sopranos youtube clips, i get hooked back into it.

spurraider21
03-14-2022, 08:25 PM
he's a come from behind kind of guy

spurraider21
03-14-2022, 08:26 PM
johnny sack saying "ginny can get heavy" after the whole fat joke saga is also gold. i dno, so many great nuggets when you go back and rewatch it

with that said, i dont put it ahead of the wire, breaking bad, or game of thrones. yes i know thrones had a catastrophically bad ending, but i dno, cant undo the experience of watching the whole thing through the first time. id say is on par with something like mad men.

gambit1990
03-17-2022, 12:06 AM
IRL he was blabbing future story lines so got himself written out.
i never knew that. interesting.

gambit1990
03-17-2022, 12:07 AM
the sopranos is fantastic. and better than breaking bad.

DMC
03-25-2022, 05:21 PM
johnny sack saying "ginny can get heavy" after the whole fat joke saga is also gold. i dno, so many great nuggets when you go back and rewatch it

with that said, i dont put it ahead of the wire, breaking bad, or game of thrones. yes i know thrones had a catastrophically bad ending, but i dno, cant undo the experience of watching the whole thing through the first time. id say is on par with something like mad men.

The Theon story was gold. Didn't get much into the bull dyke knight and king slayer voyage but did like the hound and the stark girl.

spurraider21
03-25-2022, 05:28 PM
The Theon story was gold. Didn't get much into the bull dyke knight and king slayer voyage but did like the hound and the stark girl.
the brienne/jamie story fell flat also because of how it ended. still think people are disingenuous when they tell people the show isnt worth a watch just because theyre rightfully pissed about how it finished

hey remember that show i used to be obsessed with and couldnt stop talking about for almost a decade? yeah dont even bother lol

SnakeBoy
03-25-2022, 09:38 PM

It doesn't get better just worse.

If you want to watch a show built around the Hollywood trope of a white man feeling conflicted over the bad things he has done, watch Barry on HBO. It's much better and season 3 starts next month I think.

baseline bum
03-25-2022, 10:04 PM

Blundetto was annoying as hell. Hated that character, never felt like he fit into the show. Richie was amazing but was too weak to go against Tony and would have gotten killed anyways, just at Tony's hand. Furio becoming Fabio seemed like it was mostly because we always saw Furio from Carmella's eyes when she was thirsty for him.

Reck
03-25-2022, 10:22 PM
Yeah I’m not getting the Blundetto love. He showed up way late so him getting killed was like meh.

Mikey Palmice was a funny character that was killed far too early. He was the Derp of the Sopranos. Love how Tony always shit on him every time he got. :lol

baseline bum
03-25-2022, 10:59 PM
Yeah I’m not getting the Blundetto love. He showed up way late so him getting killed was like meh.

Mikey Palmice was a funny character that was killed far too early. He was the Derp of the Sopranos. Love how Tony always shit on him every time he got. :lol

Palmice was funny as shit, but I'm glad it was Baccala who got left the lone survivor of Junior's crew, just based on the 'You know, Quasimodo predicted all this' scene in the diner with Tony. :lol