PDA

View Full Version : Quin Snyder is a potential successor to Pop, Marc Stein reports

Pages : [1] 2

Dejounte
03-13-2022, 02:39 PM
https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1503085601020690435?s=21

I am a fan of this if it happens.

Coach Q has a great understanding of what roles mean on a team. He seems to be a mastermind with X’s and O’s as well.

GAustex
03-13-2022, 02:51 PM
Please now
Please please
The sooner the better

Kurik
03-13-2022, 02:53 PM
Not sure why he would leave Utah.

daslicer
03-13-2022, 02:56 PM
Not sure why he would leave Utah.

They could fire him if the Jazz go out early in the playoffs again. That's the only chance of him leaving Utah.

Kurik
03-13-2022, 02:57 PM
They could fire him if the Jazz go out early in the playoffs again. That's the only chance of him leaving Utah.

True though Utah seems to be fine with regular season championships in their history.

CGD
03-13-2022, 02:58 PM
^ it’s about to be tough sledding in Utah over next few years. They don’t have a way to improve the roster really, at the same time that they’re not good enough to win it all. Mitchell will want to bolt, and of course they’ll blame it all on the coach.

BatManu20
03-13-2022, 03:01 PM
Believable considering his ties to the franchise. Only way he leaves Utah though is if they can him imo. And he’s a good coach who understands the game. They’re not going to be better than him, so I don’t see him getting fired despite Utah’s inevitable upcoming playoff failures.

Mr. Body
03-13-2022, 03:09 PM
Why leave Utah? Mark Stein's reporting has been rubbish all year.

timtonymanu
03-13-2022, 03:13 PM
Jazz have a window only up until Mitchell decides to leave, which is highly likely given this current NBA. And I don't see that team as constructed winning a championship. Snyder coming here is believable to me.

Dejounte
03-13-2022, 03:28 PM
Jazz have a window only up until Mitchell decides to leave, which is highly likely given this current NBA. And I don't see that team as constructed winning a championship. Snyder coming here is believable to me.

IMO, window has never been open with Mitchell and/or Gobert. Neither are enough to get far into the playoffs.

I think the Jazz are at a point where they have to try something new.

It doesn’t help that the rumors persist of Mitchell not getting along with Gobert.

mo7888
03-13-2022, 03:44 PM
https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1503085601020690435?s=21

I am a fan of this if it happens.

Coach Q has a great understanding of what roles mean on a team. He seems to be a mastermind with X’s and O’s as well.

I'd be a fan of that as well...

KobesAchilles
03-13-2022, 03:57 PM
Hoping we get Rivers after he is bounced in the first round

Allan Rowe vs Wade
03-13-2022, 03:57 PM
CIA Quin threw the game to ensure Pops got the record so he leaves SA job open for him this offseason?

:stirpot:

TD 21
03-13-2022, 04:12 PM
^ it’s about to be tough sledding in Utah over next few years. They don’t have a way to improve the roster really, at the same time that they’re not good enough to win it all. Mitchell will want to bolt, and of course they’ll blame it all on the coach.

Yeah and as much or more than any other Spurs disciple, Snyder comes off as a micromanager with the same narrow minded preference for players (he's a double whammy considering his Duke ties).

He's probably the lone in demand coach I could actually see preferring this job to more of a win now one, where the incumbent superstar(s)/star(s) run the show.

IMO, window has never been open with Mitchell and/or Gobert. Neither are enough to get far into the playoffs.

I think the Jazz are at a point where they have to try something new.

It doesn’t help that the rumors persist of Mitchell not getting along with Gobert.

They're definitely good enough to get far (with more two-way talent surrounding them), but they're not good enough to win it.

A small market team can't afford to trade a legit star just because they're stuck and for obvious reasons, Gobert would be a difficult one to get commensurate value for.

John B
03-13-2022, 05:17 PM
CIA Quin threw the game to ensure Pops got the record so he leaves SA job open for him this offseason?

:stirpot:

Not when he was calling multiple fouls to send our guys to the line the last few seconds of the game

I seriously doubt they’d fire him at Utah. The corpse of Coach Sloan finally resigned after 23 years

mo7888
03-13-2022, 05:42 PM
Not when he was calling multiple fouls to send our guys to the line the last few seconds of the game

I seriously doubt they’d fire him at Utah. The corpse of Coach Sloan finally resigned after 23 years

Danny Ainge is now an executive with the Jazz and he probably wants to put his stamp on the team, so I could see him wanting a coach of his choosing if Utah loses early..

Uriel
03-13-2022, 06:35 PM
I would definitely take him. Snyder or Bud would be ideal for me.

objective
03-13-2022, 09:41 PM
Not just Lindsay who hired him being fired, but also completely different ownership.

Snyder probably doesn't have any friends in the organization left

Allan Rowe vs Wade
03-13-2022, 10:36 PM
nah nah nah I googled it. Quin appears to a thoughtless kneejerk american 'conservative'.

NOPE. NOPE.

NOT MY HEAD COACH.

I want a coach with thoughtful and cogent political opinions, be they left, right or other.

The Truth #6
03-13-2022, 11:29 PM
I could see Lloyd Pierce being the guy, also. Was on the Olympic staff with Pop. Snyder is good but also comes across as a coke head, all bug eyed and sniffling constantly.

spurs1990
03-13-2022, 11:37 PM
If the next coach has popvich ties this will be a really cushy job. Could be 10 years job security minimum for Synder, Bud, or Udoka. I don’t see the Spurs reverting to the post Brown days of Tark, Lucas, and Bobby H. A random collection of it guys.

T Park
03-14-2022, 01:44 AM
If the next coach has popvich ties this will be a really cushy job. Could be 10 years job security minimum for Synder, Bud, or Udoka. I don’t see the Spurs reverting to the post Brown days of Tark, Lucas, and Bobby H. A random collection of it guys.

Lol John Lucas wasn’t an “it” guy ��

Fireball
03-14-2022, 02:28 AM
He would be great but the Jazz have shown they do not get rid of their coaches too frequently ... they look for stability and its no wonder both Spurs and Jazz are the most successful small market teams over the last 20+ years

jjspur
03-14-2022, 10:14 AM
I'd be OK with Snyder. If the current spurs can put up with Pop they can surely put up with Snyder. Kenny Atkinson or Will Hardy would also get my vote. We could use some new younger experienced blood in the coaching area.

BatManu20
03-14-2022, 10:53 AM
One more year.

TimDunkem
03-14-2022, 11:03 AM
Better than Bill Self just because he and Buford are butt buddies.

exstatic
03-14-2022, 12:19 PM
One more year.

People are just spitballing this. He seems to be in good health, and enjoying coaching the youngsters. What else is he going to do? My projection is 3 years.

The Truth #6
03-14-2022, 01:06 PM
Pop could be trying to help Quinn negotiate a raise. Who knows. But that’s probably more likely then this being an accurate leak.

cd98
03-14-2022, 01:54 PM
It'd be a great hire, but would the Jazz really let Snyder go? They are not a dumb franchise. They make smart decisions. They know they have a high quality coach.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-14-2022, 02:40 PM
Why leave Utah? Mark Stein's reporting has been rubbish all year.

I agree with your take on Stein, but I could definitely see Utah move on from Quinn if the Jazz don't get deep into the post season.

spurraider21
03-14-2022, 03:18 PM
would be about a good a get as we could expect

SPURt
03-14-2022, 03:48 PM
Weird idea… but if Pop was truly going to retire, the Spurs knew when his last game would be, and the Spurs were well out of the playoff picture, it’d be fun to sign Tim, Tony, and Manu to ten day contracts and let them play Pop’s final game. I would say D Rob, but he’s probably way too far gone physically.

TDomination
03-14-2022, 04:03 PM
so the report just says that we would like Snyder as Pops replacement.

i guess thats something but really says nothing about how snyder would feel about it or what his future with the jazz is or if the jazz are looking to go in a different direction. just that spurs would like snyder.

i guess the one good from this is we have an idea who they have in mind.

T Park
03-16-2022, 12:16 AM
Jay Wright choice 1, choice 2 Budenholzer, Choice 3 Quinn Snyder

NickiRasgo
03-16-2022, 11:05 AM
One more year.

I don't mind Pop returning to coach another 1-3 years as the Spurs won't be a contender anytime soon.
If you look at the key players - uprising, all star, superstar with the current Top (10) teams in both conference, you'll probably choose, given a chance, to any one of these from our best player/s:

1. Heat - Adebayo, Butler
2. Bucks - Antetokounmpo, Middleton
3. 76ers - Embiid, Harden
4. Bulls - Derozan, Lavine
5. Celtics - Tatum, Brown
6. Cavaliers - Allen, Garland
7. Raptors - Siakam, Van Fleet
8. Nets - Durant, Irving
9. Hawks - Young, Collins
10. Hornets - Ball, Bridges

1. Suns - Booker, Paul
2. Grizzlies - Morant, Jackson
3. Warriors - Curry, Thompson
4. Jazz - Mitchell, Gobert
5. Mavs - Doncic
6. Nuggets - Jokic, Murray
7. Timberwolves - Towns, Edwards
8. Clippers - Leonard, George
9. Lakers - James, Davis
10. Pelicans - Ingram, Williamson (IF)

Spurs can be a good team but you still need a player that you can rely come playoff time - we don't know if Dejounte is capable come playoff time tho I'm not saying all of the players above are reliable come playoff time.

It's not like any from the top free agent will choose the Spurs to join here during offseason - not impossible but the chance is not high.
So I don't mind what the old man wants for now until the Spurs the players their wanted to be a contender - that's the time I would say that Pop needs to go esp. if he won't properly utilize the roster and still keep losing or being a mediocre team.

I liked that Spurs' FO is adapting and changing by hauling assets and hopefully they'll still continue and be aggressive if needed without sacrificing big - I would say no one is untouchable even if it's Dejounte the return is good.

Mugen
03-16-2022, 01:35 PM
Didn't read but you had me at "successor to Pop" :lol

KingKev
03-28-2022, 04:12 PM
Paul Fogerty brings the heat once again…. 2 weeks later LOL

MVPCues
03-28-2022, 04:32 PM
Weird idea… but if Pop was truly going to retire, the Spurs knew when his last game would be, and the Spurs were well out of the playoff picture, it’d be fun to sign Tim, Tony, and Manu to ten day contracts and let them play Pop’s final game. I would say D Rob, but he’s probably way too far gone physically.

Personally, I think it is a great idea. Put them all in with 4 minutes left in the game. Pop goes out to meet them at the horn, they all walk off the court together.

KingKev
03-28-2022, 04:58 PM
Personally, I think it is a great idea. Put them all in with 4 minutes left in the game. Pop goes out to meet them at the horn, they all walk off the court together.

Holding hands. Wow so cute.

BatManu20
03-29-2022, 11:35 PM
What is it with the Utah Jazz and blowing Big leads… This is a common occurrence for this team. Not even a Jazz fan and it’s frustrating :lol

BatManu20
03-29-2022, 11:41 PM
Skip Bayless.gif :lol

objective
04-04-2022, 02:36 AM
So if the Jazz stink it up and Snyder enters free agency, and Rudy and Donovan need to split, Utah ownership will choose Mitchell ...

Would it be too crazy to think that Snyder and Gobert could be reunited in San Antonio? Lopsided trade or Poeltl for Gobert, getting to pay him $40+ million a year ....

How many picks and swaps would it take to make the trade worth it for San Antonio?

Dejounte
04-04-2022, 04:44 AM
Poeltl + McDermott + JRich for Gobert works… (add picks and Vassell, if need be)

Gobert determines his own trade value. So here’s hoping he acts like a diva.

Gobert was singing praises for DJ after the All Star game. It’s a matchmade in heaven.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-04-2022, 04:47 AM
I don't think Gobert is good value at his current contract. It's absolutely horrific. If they trade for him they'd have to build a team around DJ and him + 3&D guys. Don't think this would be anywhere near title contention, barring another major leap by Murray.

I'm also not a big fan of Gobert's game. He defends the rim better than anyone but he can't switch and often turns his back on shooters looking for the rebound rather than contesting the shot.

Dejounte
04-04-2022, 04:58 AM
I don't think Gobert is good value at his current contract. It's absolutely horrific. If they trade for him they'd have to build a team around DJ and him + 3&D guys. Don't think this would be anywhere near title contention, barring another major leap by Murray.

I'm also not a big fan of Gobert's game. He defends the rim better than anyone but he can't switch and often turns his back on shooters looking for the rebound rather than contesting the shot.

Did you know that Donavon Mitchell averages two passes a game to Gobert? Two passes. Not assists.

Gobert has hovered around 8 FG attempts a game as a Jazz “focal point”. Poeltl sits at 10 FGA this season. Bump Gobert’s to Poeltl’s with our team (who leads the league in assists) and see his offensive output increase.

Poeltl is basically the best placeholder a team could have who could take Gobert in. They won’t have to change a thing. The whole team is already accustomed to playing with a center like Gobert.

This was the end game all along tbh

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-04-2022, 05:06 AM
Did you know that Donavon Mitchell averages two passes a game to Gobert? Two passes. Not assists.

Gobert has hovered around 8 FG attempts a game as a Jazz “focal point”. Poeltl sits at 10 FGA this season. Bump Gobert’s to Poeltl’s with our team (who leads the league in assists) and see his offensive output increase.

Poeltl is basically the best placeholder a team could have who could take Gobert in. They won’t have to change a thing. The whole team is already accustomed to playing with a center like Gobert.

This was the end game all along tbh

Well yeah Mitchell hates Gobert, it's well known, but I don't think you can compete when you're paying your rim running center $40+ mil a year in 2022, especially when the team's other star isn't a shooter as well. I like Poeltl being 80% of Gobert for a1/4th of the price because this would allow the team to build in a different way. Spurs need an offensive focal point and a long 3&D player way more than they need an upgrade at center.

objective
04-04-2022, 06:22 AM
Poeltl + McDermott + JRich for Gobert works… (add picks and Vassell, if need be)

Gobert determines his own trade value. So here’s hoping he acts like a diva.

Gobert was singing praises for DJ after the All Star game. It’s a matchmade in heaven.

With the amount of capspace they'll have, provided they renounce Lonnie, the Spurs could probably just send Poeltl and give Utah a $28 million trade exception. That's why I think the Jazz would have to give multiple picks.

The other teams rumored to be interested don't have centers as good a fit as Poeltl and can't give that cap flexibility, supposedly the Mavericks and Raptors.

But a lopsided trade would give the Jazz the chance to improve the roster that is impossible now. Trade exception plus using their MLE, and depending on the deals might even be under the tax. That's why I think the Spurs would need picks back to eat those later massive salary years. A 28 unprotected and maybe another swap would be a nice return for giving Utah the chance to remake their title contending window and eating what likely becomes one of the worse contracts in the last couple of years.

tbdog
04-04-2022, 06:56 AM

We haven't seen Gobert in a defensive scheme with good defenders. If spurs can keep Vassall and Murray. Those two have the versatility to make Gobert even more of a beast.

Ariel
04-04-2022, 07:04 AM
Gobert is set to make 160+M for the next 4 years. That coupled with the projected payraise Dejounte will get once his contract is up, plus (hopefully) extensions for KJ & Vassell & maybe others, plus the Spurs not being in a huge market, means you'd be heavily restricting yourself for the foreseeable future, for a team that IMO would NOT be significantly better (i.e. at contender level)... I'd take a pass... HARD.

KingKev
04-04-2022, 08:14 AM
Absolute hard pass on Gobert. That’s a contract you take on to put you over the edge if you are near contention and willing to pay up to get you closer to a championship. It’s not a building block without your stars locked in, it’s a cinderblock on your way to the bottom of the league.

look_at_g_shred
04-04-2022, 01:21 PM
Sign Beal, then add frontcourt depth with our 3 FRP's

mo7888
04-04-2022, 02:27 PM
I'm not remotely interested in Gobert with that contract..

exstatic
04-04-2022, 03:09 PM
Pass on Gobert and Snyder, yes please on Mitchell.

poopbox
04-04-2022, 03:40 PM
I'd be all in on a Gobert trade as long as the pieces we give up are only Poeltl, Doug, Lonnie in a sign and trade, and one of the celtics or raptors 1st round picks this year. Rudy would solve all of our center problems and between Dejounte, Devin, Tre, and Richardson we won't be toast on the perimeter either. All this talk about Rudy not stepping out to defend on the perimeter but the jazz perimeter players are awful defensively.

That 40 million pretty much sets our team in stone once we pay keldon, devin, and then dejounte again. But Dejounte, Devin, Keldon, Collins, Gobert is a VERY good starting 5 that is going to smash all but the 3 or 4 most elite teams in the nba.

Ignazzz
04-04-2022, 03:42 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/UtahJazz/comments/tv0d3t/rudy_gobert_gets_the_mismatch_on_klay_and_seals/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb3x

KingKev
04-04-2022, 03:44 PM
I'd be all in on a Gobert trade as long as the pieces we give up are only Poeltl, Doug, Lonnie in a sign and trade, and one of the celtics or raptors 1st round picks this year. Rudy would solve all of our center problems and between Dejounte, Devin, Tre, and Richardson we won't be toast on the perimeter either. All this talk about Rudy not stepping out to defend on the perimeter but the jazz perimeter players are awful defensively.

That 40 million pretty much sets our team in stone once we pay keldon, devin, and then dejounte again. But Dejounte, Devin, Keldon, Collins, Gobert is a VERY good starting 5 that is going to smash all but the 3 or 4 most elite teams in the nba.

That’s maybe good for the 6th seed in the west and has no goto scorer. Ben Simmons would have been a better addition and that isn’t saying much.

poopbox
04-04-2022, 03:53 PM
That’s maybe good for the 6th seed in the west and has no goto scorer. Ben Simmons would have been a better addition and that isn’t saying much.

There are not 5 teams in the west better than that starting 5. There might not be 5 teams in the league better. All we would be giving up are players who aren't really doing anything for us anyway (lonnie via his inconsistency and Doug via his injury) a much better version of Poeltl in Gobert, and a low first round pick who highly likely won't ever be as good or effective as Gobert is right now. If the Jazz would except that deal I take it and laugh at them soon as soon as I turn around.

Ben Simmons would have been a better addition? He won't play one second of basketball this year, how would he be a better addition ?

KingKev
04-04-2022, 04:00 PM
There are not 5 teams in the west better than that starting 5. There might not be 5 teams in the league better. All we would be giving up are players who aren't really doing anything for us anyway (lonnie via his inconsistency and Doug via his injury) a much better version of Poeltl in Gobert, and a low first round pick who highly likely won't ever be as good or effective as Gobert is right now. If the Jazz would except that deal I take it and laugh at them soon as soon as I turn around.

Ben Simmons would have been a better addition? He won't play one second of basketball this year, how would he be a better addition ?

We are only in the play-in because the Lakers have had injuries and other teams full on tanked. That trade basically has us replacing Jak with Gobert and all of a sudden we are a top team? LOL

The Truth #6
04-04-2022, 04:08 PM
I'd probably still do that trade but would need to see how long his contract is. I don't think it would vault us into a top tier, but by getting rid of Lonnie and McBuckets, and replacing Yak with a somewhat even better defender, I think our defense will be stout, but we would need KJ to be a 20 point scorer to get to the second round, maybe? Just spitballing off the top of my head. I mean, if we could trade those same players and pick and get someone better, than sure, but I don't see Utah doing this trade at all, so likely a moot point.

KingKev
04-04-2022, 04:34 PM
I'd probably still do that trade but would need to see how long his contract is. I don't think it would vault us into a top tier, but by getting rid of Lonnie and McBuckets, and replacing Yak with a somewhat even better defender, I think our defense will be stout, but we would need KJ to be a 20 point scorer to get to the second round, maybe? Just spitballing off the top of my head. I mean, if we could trade those same players and pick and get someone better, than sure, but I don't see Utah doing this trade at all, so likely a moot point.

He is in his first year of a 205mm 5yr deal and if the Jazz blow it up that might be a respectable offer if you throw another FRP. That contract is a noose around your franchise if you don’t have the other pieces in place which we certainly do not.

Ignazzz
04-04-2022, 04:46 PM
2025/26 47.000.000

RC_Drunkford
04-04-2022, 04:53 PM
so people here don't want John Collins for 23 million per year cause it's an overpay, but Gobert at 40 million is a game changer? :lmao :lmao :lmao

baseline bum
04-04-2022, 04:53 PM
Sign Beal, then add frontcourt depth with our 3 FRP's

Beal has nerve problems and it has completely fucked his shooting up. No thanks for what he would cost.

KingKev
04-04-2022, 05:00 PM
so people here don't want John Collins for 23 million per year cause it's an overpay, but Gobert at 40 million is a game changer? :lmao :lmao :lmao

Lol must be because he is French.

Bojo
04-04-2022, 05:25 PM

Well, at least Gobert is a three-time DPOY, so he has done a bit more than Collins. I also imagine him aging without falling off a cliff and working well in the Spurs' schemes.

The contract is rough though, especially the last two years...he would eat about a third of the cap, did I get that right? Keeping him as well as Murray, Johnson and Vassell might be a challenge then. On the other hand, the Spurs have four draft picks this year, i.e. four rookie contracts that would run out in Gobert's last contract year. Might be nothing, might be an indicator.

Also, not gonna lie, I'd be very interested to see a starting lineup with Murray, Vassell, Johnson, Zollins/Landale/new PF and Gobert.

Bojo
04-04-2022, 05:33 PM
Also #2, didn't the Spurs have an eye on Gobert back when he was drafted? And the guy doesn't seem to have any problem with playing and living in a small market afaik, too...it wouldn't surprise me too much if this move was the endgame for Wright after all.

KingKev
04-04-2022, 05:39 PM
Also #2, didn't the Spurs have an eye on Gobert back when he was drafted? And the guy doesn't seem to have any problem with playing and living in a small market afaik, too...it wouldn't surprise me too much if this move was the endgame for Wright after all.

End game as in his demise? Gobert hasn’t even asked out of Utah, but if Brian Wright has this level of foresight as you purport we could do better than Rudy Gobert no?

Sugus
04-04-2022, 05:58 PM
I'd do the Gobert trade, tbh, as much as I like Jakob. I think people watching him in the context of Utah really underrate his game and how he can play; he's not close to his offensive, NOR defensive ceiling. The Spurs as constructed already have a good presence of plus defenders (Dejounte, Vassell, Primo with an extra year of growth), and in a system with Gobert as the safety net, it'll allow all of them to play hounding defense and be risky going for steals and such (both Vassell and DJ in particular love to play that way).

His contract is awful, awful. But not untradeable or close to it should the need arise. The Spurs can perfectly give that team a go, get back to their defense-first oriented ways, and leverage their many young players and flexible contracts into a kind of "win now" situation. Would it be championship-level good? Remains to be seen, and most likely not. But it's as much a certainty as tanking is, tbh - there's no such thing as a one true path back to contention. I'd like the move if it came down to it, it's a clear direction and worth the shot while DJ is still under this friendly contract.

Having said all that - I'm not surrendering any valuable asset to the Jazz if I'm the Spurs. No way. Play into the Gobert/Mitchell hatred dynamic, make your position advantageous... I'd go so far as asking for a pick or two in exchange for Jakob and filler, no Vassell, no Lonnie (unless he's filler or enticer), nothing. We'd certainly be doing the Jazz a big favor by taking Gobert off their cap projections, and should be rewarded as such. No deal otherwise.

Sugus
04-04-2022, 06:01 PM
Just for fun, imagine: the Spurs re-sign JRich as he's a great fit with the team. Do this trade under the aforementioned conditions (maybe getting Utah's 2022 pick). Use one or two of this years' draft picks to draft a PF for the future.

Then they trot out a SL of Murray, Vassell/Primo, Keldon, PF, Gobert. That's a damn scary defensive lineup. Dejounte no doubt will have as good a chemistry with Rudy as he does with Jakob, or maybe even better, and Keldon will definitely need to keep his scoring up (and Vassell, finally find his scoring, consistently), to make it work; but it's otherwise a great blueprint to build on, and requires no further tanking.

Certainly an option that should be on Wright's mind as the Jazz situation unfolds, tbh.

exstatic
04-04-2022, 06:06 PM

Gobert was drafted in 2013, which was before they changed all of the rules (2015) regarding fighting over screens, making everything a switch, the 3 pointer a LOT easier, and big men nearly irrelevant.

I was a fan of getting Gobert before he was making $40M, but that contract is unworkable for a non superstar.

KingKev
04-04-2022, 06:08 PM
Just for fun, imagine: the Spurs re-sign JRich as he's a great fit with the team. Do this trade under the aforementioned conditions (maybe getting Utah's 2022 pick). Use one or two of this years' draft picks to draft a PF for the future.

Then they trot out a SL of Murray, Vassell/Primo, Keldon, PF, Gobert. That's a damn scary defensive lineup. Dejounte no doubt will have as good a chemistry with Rudy as he does with Jakob, or maybe even better, and Keldon will definitely need to keep his scoring up (and Vassell, finally find his scoring, consistently), to make it work; but it's otherwise a great blueprint to build on, and requires no further tanking.

Certainly an option that should be on Wright's mind as the Jazz situation unfolds, tbh.

Gobert’s contract isn’t so bad you have to pay someone to take him. This is a pipe dream.

BackHome
04-04-2022, 06:10 PM
We are only in the play-in because the Lakers have had injuries and other teams full on tanked. That trade basically has us replacing Jak with Gobert and all of a sudden we are a top team? LOL

Yep, I think people don't realize how bad the West and how bad we really are - Out of the last 35 games we have only won 3 games against teams who are above 500 that should pretty much tell you how talent starved we are

KingKev
04-04-2022, 06:14 PM
Yep, I think people don't realize how bad the West and how bad we really are - Out of the last 35 games we have only won 3 games against teams who are above 500 that should pretty much tell you how talent starved we are

Agreed. I’m not down in our guys, there were many positive take aways from this season but we have a LONG way to go. An ass-star caliber PF makes us a playoff team and we have the ability to make that happen this off-season with abit if luck.

Sugus
04-04-2022, 06:17 PM
Gobert’s contract isn’t so bad you have to pay someone to take him. This is a pipe dream.

Yes, it is -- and yes, it is. It's obviously not a "probable" scenario or close to it, given the money, SanAn's state as a rebuilding team, the Jazz's probable wanting better, more star-focused deals in exchange for Rudy, etc etc.

Contracts are hardly "good" or "bad" in a vacuum (or well, every contract is good or bad when shallowly analyzed, but true, real good or bad contracts are rarer). Gobert's deal is already very high for someone of his archetype of play (and tbh, the main reason I'm perfectly ok with the Spurs not pulling the trigger on this trade, ever), and in the Jazz's situation? It's an awful contract.

He makes 40. Million. Dollars. a year. For the next what, 4-5? And that's hardly the worst part -- your team's other, actual superstar, the building block for the future, and also your other $40m a year man... Hates him. To the bone. They literally can't coexist, which means you've got two $40M-sized nooses, and have to choose which one you tie 'round your neck.

I'd be extremely surprised to see the Jazz, if and when they break that duo up, come out of it with more than one "positive" asset, beyond salary filler. Yes, it's that bad.

KingKev
04-04-2022, 06:23 PM
Yes, it is -- and yes, it is. It's obviously not a "probable" scenario or close to it, given the money, SanAn's state as a rebuilding team, the Jazz's probable wanting better, more star-focused deals in exchange for Rudy, etc etc.

Contracts are hardly "good" or "bad" in a vacuum (or well, every contract is good or bad when shallowly analyzed, but true, real good or bad contracts are rarer). Gobert's deal is already very high for someone of his archetype of play (and tbh, the main reason I'm perfectly ok with the Spurs not pulling the trigger on this trade, ever), and in the Jazz's situation? It's an awful contract.

He makes 40. Million. Dollars. a year. For the next what, 4-5? And that's hardly the worst part -- your team's other, actual superstar, the building block for the future, and also your other $40m a year man... Hates him. To the bone. They literally can't coexist, which means you've got two $40M-sized nooses, and have to choose which one you tie 'round your neck.

I'd be extremely surprised to see the Jazz, if and when they break that duo up, come out of it with more than one "positive" asset, beyond salary filler. Yes, it's that bad.

Multiple teams will be lining up to give a small asset and filler to get Gobert AND a future FRP. Many teams in this league are virtually salary cap agnostic.

objective
04-04-2022, 06:30 PM
Gobert

22-23. $38.2
23-24. $41.0
24-25. $43.8
25-26. $46.6 Player Option

CGD
04-04-2022, 06:43 PM
Gobert

22-23. $38.2
23-24. $41.0
24-25. $43.8

Jesus that is atrocious

Bojo
04-04-2022, 06:48 PM
End game as in his demise? Gobert hasn’t even asked out of Utah, but if Brian Wright has this level of foresight as you purport we could do better than Rudy Gobert no?

True, he hasn't asked out yet, but Utah's repeated playoff failures, the suggested friction between him and Mitchell and the current cold streak right in time for the playoffs are smoke at the very least.

I don't know if we could do better honestly. Gobert is, in lack of better words, an award-winning talent and has a positive impact on winning games. How many of those players would be willing to go to San Antonio and stay there mid- to long-term? How many of them have already shown that they are content with playing in a small market like SA? Murray might be an exception, but he was drafted here. Considering the success the Spurs had with international players, this might work better than many people expect it to.

Gobert was drafted in 2013, which was before they changed all of the rules (2015) regarding fighting over screens, making everything a switch, the 3 pointer a LOT easier, and big men nearly irrelevant.

I was a fan of getting Gobert before he was making $40M, but that contract is unworkable for a non superstar.

Thanks for reminding, hadn't looked up the exact year. But even with the rule changes, he still has an impact on winning games. And hypothetically, just like the 2013 ruleset, the current rules aren't set in stone forever, shown by the somewhat successful distinction in "basketball play" and "non-basketball move" implimented last summer.

Gobert might not be a superstar right now, but he is definitely a star. Also, I would agree with the statement by Sugus (I think) that Gobert hasn't reached his potential peak yet. A lot of that is on the team structure in Utah. I'm watching Jazz games from time to time with my dad, and it's mind-boggling how Gobert gets blatantly ignored many nights. With a massive height advantage on most of his defenders, he should get way more touches than he actually does. I'm pretty sure his numbers would go up significantly on a team that features the 5 in its sets heavily like the Spurs do, and pairing him with good-to-great defenders in Murray and Vassell could make him even more dominant on the defensive end.

This team woudn't be an instant championshp favorite, but (a) this year's favorites in both conferences would currently be out of the playoffs in the pre-covid format and (b) a top3-pick isn't really a guaranteed road to success either (draft odds, will the pick be healthy, does the pick have an uncle, etc). If Gobert is on the table this summer, this very well might be the best available move for San Antonio to become at least a contender for the next five years.

Leetonidas
04-04-2022, 06:58 PM
Gobert

22-23. $38.2
23-24. $41.0
24-25. $43.8

:vomit:

Russ
04-04-2022, 08:59 PM
Snyder may wait longer than Prince Charles.

I was at the game last night and concentrated on watching Pop patrol the sideline. He's into it.

He was interacting with every player on the bench.

Pop seems to really like this young team, maybe to prove he can win without three (so far) Hall of Famers.

Gibbz
04-04-2022, 09:22 PM
Jesus that is atrocious

Everyone knew it was absolute dogshit the second it was reported. The only people I saw who defended it were Jazz fans, and I don't even think the consensus of them were for it.

exstatic
04-04-2022, 09:42 PM
Multiple teams will be lining up to give a small asset and filler to get Gobert AND a future FRP. Many teams in this league are virtually salary cap agnostic.

You understand that your trade has the Jazz sending out a FRP, the very definition of a salary dump. You only do that with bad contract, negative assets.

KingKev
04-05-2022, 02:31 AM

You understand that your trade has the Jazz sending out a FRP, the very definition of a salary dump. You only do that with bad contract, negative assets.

Yes and if you were following along you can see I was debating your point. Sugus is the one who suggested Jazz would have to attach an FRP to which I disgreed.

dbestpro
04-05-2022, 08:19 AM
Popovich will retire at the end of this year and the Sours will hire Bill Self. New opportunities for both.

exstatic
04-05-2022, 09:41 AM
Popovich will retire at the end of this year and the Sours will hire Bill Self. New opportunities for both.

Nope on both. Have you seen Self on the sidelines? He constantly has forehead veins bulging out His demeanor doesn’t lend itself to a league where the players call the shots. It’s really tough for anyone to give up the power that they hold, and NCAA coaches hold all of it in their programs.

Pop isn’t going anywhere. If he were, Becky wouldn’t be leaving. She’d at least stick around for an interview. Pops just having way too much fun coaching the young guys.

offset formation
04-05-2022, 10:57 AM
2025/26 47.000.000

Yup...would be sooo un-Spursy of PATFO to take on a contract like that.

MannyIsGod
04-05-2022, 12:06 PM
Sorry, but there is no way the Utah Jazz are salary dumping Gobert. Yes, he's expensive, no they're not going to pay someone with draft picks to take him.

That being said, this is a pretty big make or break year for the team so its not impossible one of their two stars ends up on the market if they flame out in the playoffs but I'd expect Mitchell to be the one traded due to his more movable contract. I think a lot of people underrate how much Gobert changes the game in favor of the Jazz tho. That being said, still probably overpaid, but most stars are so yeah.

R. DeMurre
04-05-2022, 02:17 PM
Sorry, but there is no way the Utah Jazz are salary dumping Gobert. Yes, he's expensive, no they're not going to pay someone with draft picks to take him.

That being said, this is a pretty big make or break year for the team so its not impossible one of their two stars ends up on the market if they flame out in the playoffs but I'd expect Mitchell to be the one traded due to his more movable contract. I think a lot of people underrate how much Gobert changes the game in favor of the Jazz tho. That being said, still probably overpaid, but most stars are so yeah.

Holy shit, we agree on something! :lol

But yes, I think trading Mitchell makes more sense for them. The whole idea of a back court with two 6''1" guys is kind of frustrating anyway, and likely doomed to fail. Give Gobert more defenders and let him do his thing more easily & effectively, rather than forcing him to put out fires nonstop all over the court.

BatManu20
04-08-2022, 10:57 PM
Utah blows yet another huge lead at home in the 4th quarter. 3rd time in like 10 days :lol

BatManu20
04-08-2022, 11:29 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FP4BrApWQAQj2RI?format=jpg&name=large

BatManu20
04-29-2022, 06:12 PM

T Park
04-30-2022, 04:13 AM
Unless they throw the bag at him, Snyder won’t want any part of that circus.

MultiTroll
05-05-2022, 09:32 AM
What exactly is the gain in hiring Snyder?
For any team.

exstatic
05-05-2022, 09:58 AM
What exactly is the gain in hiring Snyder?
For any team.

He’s not bad, and why shouldn’t he get offers when awful re-treads like Mark Jackson and Doc Rivers consistently do?

It’s not his fault that the top two players on his roster don’t get along. Not the first time that’s ever happened. Dallas went through a prototype version of The Process in the 90s, and wound up with 3 consecutive top 4 picks, and drafted Jim Jackson, Jamal Mashburn, and Jason Kidd, and NONE of them could get along. No one blamed the coach, and eventually all of them would be shipped out.

Leetonidas
05-05-2022, 09:59 AM
:lol Snyder is still under contract no? Lol at the Lakers seriously thinking of hiring a coach that hasnt been fired yet

ZeusWillJudge
05-05-2022, 11:31 AM
:lol Snyder is still under contract no? Lol at the Lakers seriously thinking of hiring a coach that hasnt been fired yet

Most people don't know it, but the tampering rules absolutely apply to coaches as well. You could look it up.

MultiTroll
05-05-2022, 11:40 AM
He’s not bad, and why shouldn’t he get offers when awful re-treads like Mark Jackson and Doc Rivers consistently do?
That's a solid basis for a rehire.

MultiTroll
05-05-2022, 11:45 AM
His 21-30 playoff record the last 6 years compares favorably with Pops 12-16.

ZeusWillJudge
05-05-2022, 12:16 PM
I hate to continue the Gobert discussion, since this is a thread about Snyder. But did any of you really pay attention to Gobert's numbers this year.

He's only good from 10' in (really more like 6'), but he shot .713 on them! ORtg of 137, and DRtg of 103? Led the league with 14.7 RB per game and had 2.1 blocks and 6.7 FTA per game?

For a couple of years, people were slobbering all over Gobert... then they sort of stopped. He didn't get worse - Utah just built around Donovan Mitchell. But the one thing I can say for sure is that IF they decided to get rid of Gobert, they don't give assets, they get them.

Have a second look at Gobert's ORtg (137) and DRtg (103). Consider that Mitchell is on the same team, and had an ORtg of 114, and a DRtg of 111 this year. No stat is perfect, especially in a vacuum, but you can't ignore a disparity that large between two starters on the same team.

exstatic
05-05-2022, 01:00 PM
I hate to continue the Gobert discussion, since this is a thread about Snyder. But did any of you really pay attention to Gobert's numbers this year.

He's only good from 10' in (really more like 6'), but he shot .713 on them! ORtg of 137, and DRtg of 103? Led the league with 14.7 RB per game and had 2.1 blocks and 6.7 FTA per game?

For a couple of years, people were slobbering all over Gobert... then they sort of stopped. He didn't get worse - Utah just built around Donovan Mitchell. But the one thing I can say for sure is that IF they decided to get rid of Gobert, they don't give assets, they get them.

Have a second look at Gobert's ORtg (137) and DRtg (103). Consider that Mitchell is on the same team, and had an ORtg of 114, and a DRtg of 111 this year. No stat is perfect, especially in a vacuum, but you can't ignore a disparity that large between two starters on the same team.

I think people were more pro Gobert before this contract kicked in. His 34YO contract amount is $46M. That’s a lot for a rim running/protecting center.

pad300
05-05-2022, 01:04 PM

Dunno about that, I think the Jazz are in a hard place. Gobert's contract is so big that it's hard to set up a legal trade for. Add that he's seen as a flawed and overpayed player, due to the playoff failures that the Jazz have suffered. Finally, there are all these rumors about "him or me" ultimatums; teams offer less for guys who are forcing their way out. I don't think they are going to see value if they trade either or both of Gobert and Mitchell, yet it appears that something will have to give... Would not want to be managing the Jazz this summer.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-05-2022, 01:07 PM

Gobert is good, there is no doubt about that but Utah's problems begin when teams go small on them and force him to defend on the perimeter instead of protecting the paint. This exposes everyone else's bad individual defense as well, because he's supposed to cover for them but he can't if he has to guard someone in the corner. Moreover, offensively he doesn't have enough skill to score consistently on the smaller players. His only advantage is offensive rebounding but this isn't enough. All of this results in playoff losses for them because they don't have the answer for it.

KingKev
05-05-2022, 05:33 PM

It’s not his fault that the top two players on his roster don’t get along. Not the first time that’s ever happened. Dallas went through a prototype version of The Process in the 90s, and wound up with 3 consecutive top 4 picks, and drafted Jim Jackson, Jamal Mashburn, and Jason Kidd, and NONE of them could get along. No one blamed the coach, and eventually all of them would be shipped out.

Haha Toni Braxton was pretty damn hot.

SAGirl
05-05-2022, 06:51 PM

I used to like him but I realized that he’s very limited offensively for someone who is getting paid superstar money, but the kicker for me was him being publicly ignorant and starting the COVID NBA lockdown, not just spreading his germs on purpose as a sort of statement, but hanging out with everyone having symptoms. This was b4 the vaccine mind you and NBA players have had family member die from the disease. I over his callous behavior. I don’t care for him tbh. Pass.

XDT76
05-05-2022, 07:50 PM
I used to like him but I realized that he’s very limited offensively for someone who is getting paid superstar money,

This is a reason why I don't agree with some posters here crying to throw MAX money to players who are good on only 1 side of the game.
Pay them good money, sure but MAX money, no.

mo7888
05-31-2022, 10:44 PM
ESPN reporting with @ESPN_MacMahon: After weeks of conversations with ownership and management, Utah Jazz coach Quin Snyder’s future remains unclear and a possibility exists that he could decide to end his eight-year tenure with franchise: https://t.co/MFfns6fVqj

Woj

Degoat
05-31-2022, 10:47 PM
I’ve got a feeling Pop is retiring, just waiting to announce after the season has officially ended. When have the spurs ever made as many mid season trades as they did this past season? I think they knew pop was gonna retire and was preparing for life after him with acquiring the draft picks.

exstatic
06-01-2022, 06:42 AM
I’ve got a feeling Pop is retiring, just waiting to announce after the season has officially ended. When have the spurs ever made as many mid season trades as they did this past season? I think they knew pop was gonna retire and was preparing for life after him with acquiring the draft picks.

This season was a major course change, getting rid of DDR, LMA, Rudy, and Patty. If there was a clear exit ramp for Pop, it was a year ago. He might leave, which you can say pretty much any offseason, but I see no clear signs that he’s GOING to leave.

KingKev
06-01-2022, 07:00 AM

I’d firmly disagree and if they have a semi successfully offseason with reasons to be optimistic for next season I’m confident he is back for what will probably be his swan song. Keep in mind he has 12 million reasons to coach next year. He’d be crazy to fake that off the table.

Ocotillo
06-01-2022, 08:32 AM
I don't think Pop is checking out this offseason. I can see him just announcing out of the blue in an offseason though to avoid the fanfare and hub bub. If Snyder were to leave Utah and came here as lead assistant, then speculation will start he is the successor.

KingKev
06-01-2022, 08:45 AM
I don't think Pop is checking out this offseason. I can see him just announcing out of the blue in an offseason though to avoid the fanfare and hub bub. If Snyder were to leave Utah and came here as lead assistant, then speculation will start he is the successor.

Why would one of the most sought after coaches in the league leave his role to be a lead assistant? Oh right for the opportunity to work under and learn from the great Greg Popovich? The opportunity to eventually be the head coach of the legendary San Antonio Spurs? C’mon man. Maybe for crazy money.

The Truth #6
06-01-2022, 08:50 AM
Pop would be hanging out in Europe with Zarko even if he was retired I imagine, so why not have the Holts pay for it? I honestly think he in part wants to keep coaching so he can continue to have his post game dinners and drink wine all across the country and all that. He just needs capable assistants around him to lighten his workload, and that's the part I'm not sure of, but honestly have no idea about the capabilities of the staff around him at this point. From the outside, they look sub-par, but who knows.

mo7888
06-01-2022, 08:51 AM
If he leaves Utah I expect him to sit out the year and have lots of options after next season...we may be one of those options..

KingKev
06-01-2022, 08:55 AM
Pop would be hanging out in Europe with Zarko even if he was retired I imagine, so why not have the Holts pay for it? I honestly think he in part wants to keep coaching so he can continue to have his post game dinners and drink wine all across the country and all that. He just needs capable assistants around him to lighten his workload, and that's the part I'm not sure of, but honestly have no idea about the capabilities of the staff around him at this point. From the outside, they look sub-par, but who knows.

His 12mm/yr salary is also eating into the coaching budget. I’m certain he is back next year and hopeful there is a succession plan(s) behind closed doors.

Pure speculation but I could also see Pop doing another 2-4yrs if we put together a roster with real upside or if his presence is enough to attract top talent. For instance Lavine wanted to cone here and knowing Pop would be coaching nwxt few years is a consideration of Lavine.

MultiTroll
06-01-2022, 09:22 AM
Ya the Jazz have looked soo good.

MultiTroll
06-01-2022, 09:23 AM
Pure speculation but I could also see Pop doing another 2-4yrs if we put together a roster with real upside or if his presence is enough to attract top talent. For instance Lavine wanted to cone here and knowing Pop would be coaching nwxt few years is a consideration of Lavine.
We saw this movie before with Softridge.

Pass.

exstatic
06-01-2022, 09:27 AM

I don’t disagree with any of this. He gets to coach and mentor young players, travel, and eat at any restaurant he wants, staying at the finest hotels. His wife is gone. Why would he give this up?

Ocotillo
06-01-2022, 10:04 AM
Why would one of the most sought after coaches in the league leave his role to be a lead assistant? Oh right for the opportunity to work under and learn from the great Greg Popovich? The opportunity to eventually be the head coach of the legendary San Antonio Spurs? C’mon man. Maybe for crazy money.

As the lead to be the successor. Sure he may go right to another head coaching job but maybe he gets some serious coin thrown at him to come in and be #2 this coming season to take over post-Pop.

The Truth #6
06-01-2022, 10:12 AM
His 12mm/yr salary is also eating into the coaching budget. I’m certain he is back next year and hopeful there is a succession plan(s) behind closed doors.

That's a good point and could logically explain why our assistant coaches look so green. If so, it would be hard for them to pony up for a high dollar assistant. Would have happened already. Knowing the Spurs, they are working behind the scenes. But then again, maybe not, not pressuring Pop to make a decision and let him do whatever he wants for as long as he wants to do it, avoiding the uncomfortable future of having to find his replacement because there are no great replacements.

KingKev
06-01-2022, 10:23 AM
That's a good point and could logically explain why our assistant coaches look so green. If so, it would be hard for them to pony up for a high dollar assistant. Would have happened already. Knowing the Spurs, they are working behind the scenes. But then again, maybe not, not pressuring Pop to make a decision and let him do whatever he wants for as long as he wants to do it, avoiding the uncomfortable future of having to find his replacement because there are no great replacements.

I think they are more likely to hand over the keys to someone who is hungry and looking to prove themselves versus paying upfront for a big name.

I’m sure behind closed doors there are stakeholders who are getting or will eventually get uncomfortable as we continue to lose especially with the changing investor base. Sooner or later tough talks need to come.

Pop did a great job last year and he still makes sense for the short term but it’s time to usher in a new era. It might even be advantageous for the next coach to fail miserably so we can finally get a few years of good picks.

Larry O
06-01-2022, 02:40 PM
If he leaves Utah I expect him to sit out the year and have lots of options after next season...we may be one of those options..

Hmmm... It's interesting as to what Real GM had to say about Snyder as he is now recovering due to his recent hip surgery, as well as his future prospect, but here's the whole article:

Quin Snyder's future with the Utah Jazz remains unclear and the "possibility exists" that he leaves the team this summer after eight years, sources told Adrian Wojnarowski and Tim MacMahon of ESPN.
The Jazz have offered to extend Snyder's contract, which has two years remaining. The two sides are having discussion on "good faith," though Snyder has yet to commit to next season.
The conversations have reportedly centered around philosophical issues of how the team can take the next step in the Western Conference.
Snyder has expressed no interest in other openings this offseason. He is currently recovering from hip surgery following the team's loss to the Mavs in the playoffs.

There is no timetable for a resolution with talks expected to continue, added ESPN.

If Snyder's contract doesn't get renewed, take a year off & R&R, & if Pop does decide to retire after next season, then if Snyder is interested in the position, then, it would be like a perfect storm for him, if the Spurs are mutual.

The Truth #6
06-01-2022, 02:57 PM
^Makes sense. No way a coach just walks away from such a highly desired coaching situation (the NBA) without some idea of the next step.

JPB
06-01-2022, 03:12 PM
I’d firmly disagree and if they have a semi successfully offseason with reasons to be optimistic for next season I’m confident he is back for what will probably be his swan song. Keep in mind he has 12 million reasons to coach next year. He’d be crazy to fake that off the table.

The guy is 70+ and already multimillionaire, I really don't think money is the motivation to keep coaching.

JPB
06-01-2022, 03:15 PM
As the lead to be the successor. Sure he may go right to another head coaching job but maybe he gets some serious coin thrown at him to come in and be #2 this coming season to take over post-Pop.

Nah, you don't get back to assistant when you were the top dog for 8 years. And spurs wouldn't even propose him.

KingKev
06-01-2022, 03:16 PM
The guy is 70+ and already multimillionaire, I really don't think money is the motivation to keep coaching.

Dude 1 yr 12mm. Probably 1/5th his career earnings in a year. No way it isn’t a major consideration.

exstatic
06-01-2022, 03:19 PM
Dude 1 yr 12mm. Probably 1/5th his career earnings in a year. No way it isn’t a major consideration.

Dude, he’s probably been making 8 figures for at least 10 years.

KingKev
06-01-2022, 03:30 PM
Dude, he’s probably been making 8 figures for at least 10 years.

I doubt he has been making 10mm a year for 10 years.

Coaches only recently started getting those figures and you think that he has been getting that annually for atleast 10 years?

exstatic
06-01-2022, 03:44 PM
I doubt he has been making 10mm a year for 10 years.

Coaches only recently started getting those figures and you think that he has been getting that annually for atleast 10 years?

Just did a quick Google on his net worth: $120M. whatever his earnings, he’s 73, and absolutely does not need the money.

Uriel
06-01-2022, 06:05 PM
My dream scenario is that Pop coaches one more season, Snyder leaves the Utah job, then gets hired by the Spurs next summer.

ace3g
06-05-2022, 04:31 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1533561701022457856

Leetonidas
06-05-2022, 04:37 PM
I just don't see Pop stepping away yet. If he came in and agreed to be lead assistant with the assurance that Pop would retire within a year or two than maybe. Just don't think he'll sit on the open market very long

Degoat
06-05-2022, 04:40 PM
Interesting, he’s definitely stepping down because he has another team in mind. I’ve been saying since the season ended that I thought that would be it for pop but will see.

BatManu20
06-05-2022, 04:46 PM
Smart man. Writing’s on the wall for that franchise. Jump ship now. He’ll get an opportunity elsewhere.

Dverde
06-05-2022, 04:53 PM
He should take a year off and relax. Some of these coaches can’t embrace life outside of basketball. He’ll easily get a new gig in 2023

Degoat
06-05-2022, 04:57 PM
We do have a vacancy with Becky gone right? Thinking about the spurs need to bring him back ASAP he’s the perfect replacement for pop

Dejounte
06-05-2022, 05:58 PM
Quin’s hometown is next to Seattle. Bring in Zach. Draft Tari or Marjon. SA Supersonics.

Dex
06-05-2022, 06:23 PM
We do have a vacancy with Becky gone right? Thinking about the spurs need to bring him back ASAP he’s the perfect replacement for pop

Uriel
06-05-2022, 06:53 PM
Please :cry Him taking over the head coaching job in San Antonio next summer after Pop retires would be amazing. It would also confirm this is likely to be Pop’s final year.

BatManu20
06-05-2022, 06:55 PM
2023 is Pop’s last season confirmed.

stephen jackson
06-05-2022, 07:39 PM
Spurs are the mafia maybe Mitchell comes here ?

CGD
06-05-2022, 08:28 PM
It’s happening.

Uriel
06-05-2022, 08:59 PM
Quin Snyder got his start in coaching when we named him head coach of the Toros. Now he’s set to take over from Pop for the Spurs.

GAustex
06-05-2022, 09:12 PM
The sooner the better

JR3
06-05-2022, 09:35 PM
Even Jazz fans here in Utah think he will go to the Spurs.

MannyIsGod
06-05-2022, 09:35 PM
He may not be able to just sign with another team since he wasnt fired

DPG21920
06-05-2022, 10:53 PM

One year of rest. Pick his team after this season..

tbdog
06-05-2022, 11:27 PM
I like Snyder and he seems like a good teacher. I think he is one of the better coaches. Give him a year off, if pop retires, I'm calling him.

Uriel
06-06-2022, 12:51 AM
It’s a testament to the strength of the Spurs’ league wide reputation that, even when they’re in the midst of the rebuilding process, their head coaching position is still one of the most sought after in the league that they can get Snyder to leave Utah for it.

KingKev
06-06-2022, 01:14 AM
It’s a testament to the strength of the Spurs’ league wide reputation that, even when they’re in the midst of the rebuilding process, their head coaching position is still one of the most sought after in the league that they can get Snyder to leave Utah for it.

He didn’t leave Utah to coach the Spurs.

exstatic
06-06-2022, 06:11 AM

This could be a situation like Carlisle/Dallas last year, where both sides just realize that the team has hit a wall, and isn’t advancing. You can mutually agree to terminate a contract. No more money, but freedom to pursue other options.

TimDunkem
06-06-2022, 07:08 AM
Way better than than RC's butt buddy Bill Self who was rumored as a successor for years.

MultiTroll
06-06-2022, 09:28 AM
Jazz haven't been out of the 1st Round since 2007.

Can Pop and Snyder keep the streak going another 10 years?
:greedy

MannyIsGod
06-06-2022, 01:05 PM
This could be a situation like Carlisle/Dallas last year, where both sides just realize that the team has hit a wall, and isn’t advancing. You can mutually agree to terminate a contract. No more money, but freedom to pursue other options.

Yes but this was reported as a resignation where they wanted to keep him and offered him an extension so that would be drastically different.

BatManu20
06-06-2022, 01:14 PM
There were rumors that Carlisle didn’t like Luka and they were butting heads, nor did he like Mavs GM Nico Harrison, who is 13 years his Junior, coming in and telling him how to do his job when he’s been there for a decade. Carlisle get disrespected so he packed up and headed for Indy. This seems more like Snyder sees the writing on the wall with Utah and realizes he can’t win with that roster, particularly when your two best players don’t seem to like each other. While management may have told him they were considering going another direction, I think he ultimately made the decision to jump ship.

BatManu20
06-06-2022, 01:15 PM
Hope he takes the year off tbh. Time will tell.

slick'81
06-06-2022, 04:09 PM
Hope he takes the year off tbh. Time will tell.

pop needs to bring this guy in asap

John B
06-06-2022, 05:11 PM
Snyder will be gone by next year if things don’t get better (and it doesn’t look like it is), so he left on his term. It has nothing to do with the Spurs. But with the looming Pop decision to eventually retire (soon), he could align himself as the heir apparent. Snyder is a no non-sense Coach and someone I could see taking the helm.

Dex
06-06-2022, 05:15 PM
Snyder will be gone by next year if things don’t get better (and it doesn’t look like it is), so he left on his term. It has nothing to do with the Spurs. But with the looming Pop decision to eventually retire (soon), he could align himself as the heir apparent. Snyder is a no non-sense Coach and someone I could see taking the helm.

Things obviously could change, but there aren't a lot of vacancies left. Philly still seems committed to Doc for whatever reason. Lakers just signed Ham to four years and added Rasheed as an assistant. Kings just brought in Brown.

Where else is he going to go? Does anyone think he wants to leave the Jazz to go coach the fucking Charlotte Hornets?

Obviously the landscape can shift after just one season...some coaches will probably lose their seat next year.

In an ideal world, Snyder joins as a lead assistant and gets a season or two under his belt before Pop hands over the keys...or he gets a soft commitment from the Spurs, takes his year off, and is lined up for the job going forward.

TD 21
06-06-2022, 05:36 PM
The Lowe Post - Jeff Van Gundy and Tim MacMahon | ESPN (https://www.espn.com/radio/play/_/id/34048582) Snyder-Spurs discussion starts at 1:01:45.

MacMahon "No, no; I don't think it's why he resigned. I do think that the Spurs job is why Quin is not necessarily wanting to rule out coaching next year."

"If he (Pop) does decide to retire that is the one job right now that I could see Quin being interested in for next season."

PennSpur
06-06-2022, 07:57 PM

2021, 2018, 2017, 2010, 2008

offset formation
06-06-2022, 08:16 PM
Quin would be second on my list, behind Hardy

MultiTroll
06-06-2022, 08:22 PM
2021, 2018, 2017, 2010, 2008
Oh boy so our ceiling would be WCFs once every 20 years. :clap

Dex
06-06-2022, 08:25 PM

Two questions:

1. Who do you suggest as Pop's replacement?

2. Are you ever happy?

tonight...you
06-06-2022, 08:27 PM
Lol. Good job on that 1st round thing.
And nice deflection!

MultiTroll
06-06-2022, 08:37 PM
Lol. Good job on that 1st round thing.
And nice deflection!
Thank you.

This gives you a stiffy:
an eight-year run where the team won nearly 60% of its games but never got past the second round of the playoffs

Not me.

MultiTroll
06-06-2022, 08:50 PM
Two questions:

1. Who do you suggest as Pop's replacement?
2. Are you ever happy?
1. I will address that when it becomes applicable in 4-10 years when he does retire.
Sooner if Pops health or new ownership influence acts sooner.

2. As regards Spurs basketball, hey the 20 year run of Duncan was great.
I knew after '14 there would be an extended downturn and also knew his "I will retire when Duncan retires" was a falsehood.
Was very happy with Kawhis development when we were on our way to another Chip.

Since Zaza it's been very depressing. At least last year a partial rebuild began before the silly selfish record book pursuit of W's over tanking teams moved us to back to 9th.

BatManu20
06-06-2022, 09:01 PM
Quin would be second on my list, behind Hardy

Hardy is interviewing for the Jazz HC position, ironically.

tonight...you
06-06-2022, 09:23 PM
Thank you.

This gives you a stiffy:
an eight-year run where the team won nearly 60% of its games but never got past the second round of the playoffs

Not me.
Uh huh. Tell me more about teams not getting out of the 1st round when they did over and over!

I like that story.

GAustex
06-06-2022, 09:29 PM
Facts to Multi troll do not matter

MultiTroll
06-06-2022, 09:59 PM
Uh huh. Tell me more about teams not getting out of the 1st round when they did over and over!

I like that story.
Here was the 2015 score:

Among active coaches with at least 5 playoff appearances:

14 -- George Karl (22 playoff appearances)
7 -- Phillip Saunders (11 playoff appearances)
5 -- Richard Carlisle (11 playoff appearances)
5 -- Glenn Rivers (11 playoff appearances)
4 -- Gregg Popovich (18 playoff appearances)
2 -- Erik Spoelstra (6 playoff appearances)
2 -- Thomas Thibodeau (5 playoff appearances)
2 -- Stanley Van Gundy (7 playoff appearances)
Since then Craig Pop has added two more to be at 6. Albeit in 30 years or whatever he is at.
Snyder is at 3.

Facts to Multi troll do not matterQuin Snyder:

Factual enough?

GAustex
06-06-2022, 10:04 PM

Factual for you? Ur words

MultiTroll
06-06-2022, 10:12 PM
Factual for you? Ur wordsYes that was incorrect.
The Jazz have been out of the 1st Round in the last 20 years.

GAustex
06-06-2022, 10:29 PM
Yes that was incorrect.
The Jazz have been out of the 1st Round in the last 20 years.

Facts to Multi troll do not matter

Thus^

BatManu20
06-06-2022, 11:00 PM

MultiTroll
06-06-2022, 11:00 PM
^ Have you ever said "I'm starving, I haven't eaten for 20 years."?
Or ten years, or two weeks?

GAustex
06-06-2022, 11:15 PM
Quoting Cully
Now you crawling belly dragging

tmtcsc
06-07-2022, 01:10 AM
Quinn Snyder has the better HC experience & would be a good choice but I'd like James Borrego to get the spot Maybe even Budenholzer if he ever became available.

Dex
06-07-2022, 07:48 AM

If they do that, won't they also have to continue to pay him? There are worse things in the world than sitting home and collecting checks while he ponders his next move.

John B
06-07-2022, 08:24 AM

Snyder looks like a young Pop. He’s got to be the one.

Ignazzz
06-07-2022, 08:27 AM
Skeleton’s hands

jjspur
06-07-2022, 09:38 AM
How about Pop moving to the front office exclusively and Snyder takes over coaching duties ? Doesn't Snyder have that same intense look the Pop has, looks that can kill if you don't play defense or give effort.

MultiTroll
06-07-2022, 10:14 AM
^ No.
https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.197ae20d034d8e62f5f18ef656e75253?rik=qESDgGk8J4Z mIQ&riu=http%3a%2f%2fcdn1.sbnation.com%2fimported_asse ts%2f1961495%2f20130608_rvr_ah6_165.0.jpg&ehk=3E5ouT38PsifF4CZXjdtIoKEhp%2bhc5nAvwlThLyHlCI% 3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Das Texan
06-07-2022, 11:06 AM
If they do that, won't they also have to continue to pay him? There are worse things in the world than sitting home and collecting checks while he ponders his next move.

So he is a special assistant with the Spurs front office.

So easy to get around that.

TimDunkem
06-07-2022, 11:33 AM
Wasn't Snyder a coke snorting, co-ed fucking wild man back in the day? Wasn't there even a story of him banging college player's girlfriends?

Hire this man.

The Truth #6
06-07-2022, 01:36 PM
Wasn't Snyder a coke snorting, co-ed fucking wild man back in the day? Wasn't there even a story of him banging college player's girlfriends?

Hire this man.

I believe that's true. Yet, he also has an MBA and Law Degree, supposedly. It's unclear if he married Larry Brown's daughter. Fascinating combination of rumors around this guy.

MannyIsGod
06-07-2022, 01:37 PM

No, because he resigned. He quit, which means he's not working and won't get paid, but it doesn't mean he's a free agent. Its like Ben Simmons last year. He wasn't playing, they didn't pay him, but he was'nt free to go where he wanted.

MannyIsGod
06-07-2022, 01:39 PM
So he is a special assistant with the Spurs front office.

So easy to get around that.

You can't get around it at all. The Spurs would have to offer something for him as compensation. This is no different than the Lakers wanting to sign Doc Rivers earlier this off season but Morey wanting compensation in the form of a draft pick. Coaches can't just quit to get out of contractual obligations.

The Truth #6
06-07-2022, 02:06 PM
Interesting. Hard to say how much to read into when he would be able to coach again in relation to when Pop may retire.

stnick2261
06-07-2022, 02:26 PM
I believe Jay Wright is also taking the year off from coaching. If Pop brings us back to the playoffs this year, he may retire on a winning season... and we may have more than 1 quality head coach option to take over.

RC_Drunkford
06-07-2022, 06:07 PM

Hire this man.

shit he still looks like he's on coke sometimes. Since all of our FO are drinkers, let's go from alcohol to coke :lol

KingKev
06-08-2022, 11:37 PM

Hire this man.

Wow. We need him. Probably way more fun than drinking 5k bottles of wine with coach Pop.

slick'81
06-08-2022, 11:42 PM
The two i wanted have already or are close to winning titles-bud,ime . Ill settle for quin though

KingKev
06-08-2022, 11:46 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34428

Arcadian
06-09-2022, 12:12 AM
Quin "The Green Goblin from Spider-Man" Snyder

Uriel
06-09-2022, 12:50 AM
I believe that's true. Yet, he also has an MBA and Law Degree, supposedly. It's unclear if he married Larry Brown's daughter. Fascinating combination of rumors around this guy.
Not just any MBA and JD, but an MBA and JD from Duke. And that's on top of his double major from there in college.

He not only knows more about basketball than all SpursTalkers, he's also vastly more educated. And yet when we hire him as coach, people will still label him stupid and call for him to be fired.

lefty
06-09-2022, 12:51 AM
Not just any MBA and JD, but an MBA and JD from Duke. And that's on top of his double major from there in college.

He not only knows more about basketball than all SpursTalkers, he's also vastly more educated. And yet when we hire him as coach, people will still label him stupid and call for him to be fired.

Much less fat too

Ice009
06-09-2022, 12:40 PM

Holy crap, that's not what I expected. What an amazingly wide range of rumours. Pretty impressive resume if true ;). In any case, he's a darn good coach. Would be cool to go from Pop's strictness to someone a bit more looser.

BatManu20
02-21-2023, 05:31 PM

mo7888
02-21-2023, 05:32 PM

Ime might be a better fit for the Atlanta nightlife...

exstatic
02-21-2023, 05:37 PM

Did they fire Nate? I didn’t read anything about it, but I hope so. Bad to look for the next coach while someone is sitting in the seat.

mo7888
02-21-2023, 05:47 PM
Did they fire Nate? I didn’t read anything about it, but I hope so. Bad to look for the next coach while someone is sitting in the seat.

They did earlier today..

The Truth #6
02-21-2023, 05:51 PM
My opinion: They should have traded Trae when they still could. Now it’s just rotating through coaches when the problem is the team hates Trae and no coach can get everyone to buy in. Or so it seems from my armchair 1300 miles away. But hey, sounds good to me.

mo7888
02-21-2023, 05:54 PM
My opinion: They should have traded Trae when they still could. Now it’s just rotating through coaches when the problem is the team hates Trae and no coach can get everyone to buy in. Or so it seems from my armchair 1300 miles away. But hey, sounds good to me.

I think they can still move him this summer...but I doubt they will unless he requests out...

spurraider21
02-21-2023, 06:01 PM
both minnesota and the hawks need to shake things up. some deal around Trae/KAT could make sense

The Truth #6
02-21-2023, 06:07 PM
True. But it feels like he’s now a rung below where people thought he was before, and his trade value now is for other problematic superstar with question marks. But again, it sounds great to me, should help our draft picks.

Mr. Body
02-21-2023, 06:15 PM
both minnesota and the hawks need to shake things up. some deal around Trae/KAT could make sense

I would do this in a heartbeat if I'm MIN. KAT is a soft nobody.

Uriel
02-21-2023, 06:59 PM
:pctoss

Uriel
02-21-2023, 07:02 PM
Reminder that Snyder has a JD, an MBA, and a double-major BA, all from Duke. He’s not just a great basketball coach, he’s also highly educated.

KobesAchilles
02-21-2023, 09:33 PM
The hawks are a dumpster fire and I love it. They maxed Collins, the maxed Trae, they have to max DJ and will have zero money to improve the roster plus zero picks to improve the roster. My prediction for next year is that Trae will get hurt, the team will play well without him, then he will come back and kill the chemistry and they miss the playoffs.

The OKC thunder of all teams will come knocking on the door and trade for Trae during the summer. DJ plays one more season with the Hawks and demand a trade after missing the playoffs for back to back years and then they cut Collins and take the hit on his contract. They will have draft picks and money again to rebuild and be screwed and we get the number one pick through them at some point

offset formation
02-21-2023, 09:35 PM

That dropped 50 on our defense with ease. Should underscore what kind of sad trajectory we've been on.

MultiTroll
02-21-2023, 09:42 PM
Reminder that Snyder has a JD, an MBA, and a double-major BA, all from Duke. He’s not just a great basketball coach, he’s also highly educated.
Hopefully he can overcome these highly negative influences and go on to have NBA playoff success. :lol

Not with a Wama Spurs score. No way no how.

Seventyniner
02-21-2023, 09:56 PM
Shit, are the Hawks going to melt down too soon? I was afraid it would happen too late.

cd98
02-21-2023, 10:57 PM
Hope he stays away from the Hawks. This is the guy I want for the Spurs when they are ready to start competing again. Well, that's at least 3 years away, I think, so I guess that's time for him to go there and bolt. It just doesn't look like that team has any cohesion.

Rocalcio
02-22-2023, 05:33 AM

Yup, but Young is a jerk and a nightmare in the locker room.

exstatic
02-22-2023, 07:24 AM

I don’t think ATL does it. They probably want pile of FRPs, and MIN seems to be fresh out.

lmbebo
02-22-2023, 08:27 AM
I don’t think ATL does it. They probably want pile of FRPs, and MIN seems to be fresh out.

Can't see Edwards and Trae coexisting either. Edwards def has that same alpha mentality.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-22-2023, 01:43 PM
Quinn Snyder has the better HC experience & would be a good choice but I'd like James Borrego to get the spot Maybe even Budenholzer if he ever became available.

Borrego is showing he was a pretty good coach considering how much Charlotte has sucked ass since his departure.

Dverde
02-23-2023, 10:00 AM
Shams reporting Hawks want Quin Snyder and started negotiations with him.

BatManu20
02-23-2023, 12:13 PM

slick'81
02-23-2023, 01:03 PM
Oh well not sure how high pop and co. was on him

Mugen
02-23-2023, 01:54 PM
Bummer. Give me Ime when the old man hangs them up this summer (hopefully tbh).

rjv
02-23-2023, 03:47 PM
when was the last time marc stein was right on anything?

Ocotillo
02-23-2023, 05:39 PM
Yesterday on NBA Radio they were talking about the candidates on the list. Snyder was on top along with Atkinson. Then the listed a few other and none other than Mitch Johnson from our beloved tanking Spurs bench. I would like to see Atkinson get the nod to take over for Pop when the day comes, if he is still available.

John B
02-24-2023, 04:11 PM
Breaking: Quin Snyder and the Atlanta Hawks are progressing in talks on a deal to make him the franchise’s next head coach, sources tell @wojespn.

A resolution could come within days

tonight...you
02-24-2023, 09:59 PM
Breaking: Quin Snyder and the Atlanta Hawks are progressing in talks on a deal to make him the franchise’s next head coach, sources tell @wojespn.

A resolution could come within days
It's my opinion that Snyder is walking into a situation that is not going to be optimal in any way, shape, or form.
This could potentially conclude his NBA career.
Especially coming in midway through the year without a chance to establish anything meaningful with the powerful egos that are already on the team.

He would be better served coming in, in the off-season.
Let an interim handle the rest of this season.

Uriel
02-25-2023, 06:53 AM
Disappointing news. Really thought he was going to succeed Pop this summer.

slick'81
02-25-2023, 11:00 AM
Disappointing news. Really thought he was going to succeed Pop this summer.

nobody is getting this job over ime

tmtcsc
02-25-2023, 11:44 AM
Borrego is showing he was a pretty good coach considering how much Charlotte has sucked ass since his departure.

Absolutely. There's always a chance he & Ball didn't get along. The play-in losses were abysmal. I'd still like to see him or Coach Bud down here but Bud would be leaving a GREAT situation. He has some personal reasons to return to San Antonio.

tmtcsc
02-25-2023, 11:45 AM
nobody is getting this job over ime

I don't think Ime is ever getting another HC job in the NBA. Man, he screwed up.

GAustex
02-25-2023, 11:50 AM
Spurs posture seem to preclude Ime with his HR issues

DPG21920
02-25-2023, 12:19 PM
I really wonder if things are aligning for Ime to come back. He was obviously and damn good coach and even Tatum still speaks so highly of him today. Assuming what happened was not much more than we know (meaning, truly illegal or violent but just bad judgement) I can see SA brining Ime back and him regaining his coaching footing in SA.

It hurt to lose Ime and before what happened it seemed unthinkable that SA would have a shot at getting him because he had done so well and was setup with a tremendous and still youngish team in BOS.

exstatic
02-25-2023, 05:17 PM
It's my opinion that Snyder is walking into a situation that is not going to be optimal in any way, shape, or form.
This could potentially conclude his NBA career.
Especially coming in midway through the year without a chance to establish anything meaningful with the powerful egos that are already on the team.

He would be better served coming in, in the off-season.
Let an interim handle the rest of this season.

I feel bad for Quin, but any chaos in ATL works in our favor.

poopbox
02-26-2023, 11:44 AM
I don't think Ime is ever getting another HC job in the NBA. Man, he screwed up.

We had a player fuck his teammates wife.
We had a player pull his dick out so much he got kicked off the team.
We had a former player get into a domestic dispute with a pornstar.
We had a player who admits to constantly smoking weed but never getting caught aka the spurs knew just didn't say anything.
If Ime wants this job the spurs would hire him in a second. Nobody cares about some bustdown he smashed in Boston.

Ocotillo
02-26-2023, 08:01 PM
Quin is officially the Hawks new coach.

Chomag
02-26-2023, 10:27 PM
Pop not letting go is going to cost us some good candidates for our future

MultiTroll
02-26-2023, 11:38 PM
Can we stop talking about this Dukie schmo now?

Unless it involves our draft pick position, just stop.

GAustex
02-26-2023, 11:52 PM
It is too bad that a coach like Quinn is no longer a candidate for Spurs head coach

Mr. Body
02-27-2023, 12:04 AM
The coke fiend goes to Atlanta. That ought to work well.

exstatic
02-27-2023, 07:42 AM
Can we stop talking about this Dukie schmo now?

You think that their selection of a coach won’t affect the positions of those picks?

MultiTroll
02-27-2023, 10:20 AM
You think that their selection of a coach won’t affect the positions of those picks?

Dverde
02-27-2023, 11:36 AM
Now everyone is probably guessing Mitch Johnson will replace Pop, now watch as he leaves this summer for another team.

Dejounte
02-27-2023, 11:55 AM
Now everyone is probably guessing Mitch Johnson will replace Pop, now watch as he leaves this summer for another team.

I think it will be Manu tbh. An article came out last week saying he’s around the team everyday.

SpurSpike
02-27-2023, 12:07 PM
I think it will be Manu tbh. An article came out last week saying he’s around the team everyday.

I didn't think so at 1st but yeah it is starting to make some sense. Especially considering that he was heavily involved in the drafting process last year and was helping to interview players, something usually reserved for scouts and coaching staff.

John B
02-27-2023, 12:16 PM
It would be great if if it’s Manu. He brings a lot of credibility and knows the system inside out. I’ve envisioned Tony taking the GM position and bringing his savviness, but I doubt he has time with his time as a basketball owner. But yeah, Manu would be great as a coach.

objective
02-27-2023, 06:25 PM
Snyder + decent talent = playoffs the next 4 years

There goes the value of the Hawks picks

K...
02-27-2023, 06:29 PM

You overrate the value of nba coaches. Qiun will not hurt the team, but he isnt fixing anything without a miracle . Id say its 50/50

exstatic
02-27-2023, 08:39 PM

He won’t last 4 years. Trae will run him off.

Mr. Body
02-27-2023, 08:44 PM
Manu is the one all-time player who I think could be a great coach.

Maddog
02-27-2023, 08:47 PM

He won’t last 4 years. Trae will run him off.

I think decent talent is about right, but not awesome. Also they have a big decision in the summer of 2024. They're on the books for 128 million and DJM is a restricted FA.
If the team is treading water you can see a scenario where they blow it up..
Who knows really things can change fast

JPB
02-27-2023, 09:07 PM
Would love Manu as next coach. Seems to me he's the kind of coach young players would listen. He could bring his fire and competitiveness and would be allowed mistakes and time to find his touch in a rebuilding team.