PDA

View Full Version : Jared Bayless as a hardship exemption replacement for Doug McDermott (out for year)

kht
03-16-2022, 10:45 PM
Doug McDermott has been ruled out the rest of the season with a grade 3 ankle sprain. The Spurs are only 2 games back of the Pelicans, whom we play twice including a meeting this Friday. The Lakers are in complete free fall and play the Pelicans twice to finish the season.

What do you guys think about Jerryd Bayless as a combo guard off the bench? He's a solid vet, who is quick laterally and can knock down the 3 ball at a .400 clip. He's only 33 years old.

Chinook
03-16-2022, 10:48 PM
I wouldn't want him to receive minutes, but it would be nice to have a vet PG. That said, the Spurs aren't likely to be eligible for a hardship exemption. They're actually pretty healthy.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-17-2022, 12:19 AM
Even if they're eligible for the hardship exception, which they most certainly wouldn't be, why would they sign someone who hasn't played for 3 years?

gambit1990
03-17-2022, 12:21 AM
Even if they're eligible for the hardship exception, which they most certainly wouldn't be, why would they sign someone who hasn't played for 3 years?
OP is Jerryd Bayless.

John B
03-17-2022, 02:44 AM
I’d give all the minutes to Primo and J-Rich tbh. We have two-way players who could also benefit. Why sign a new player?

exstatic
03-17-2022, 06:40 AM
No.

KingKev
03-17-2022, 06:54 AM
Doubt we are eligible for a hardship exception.

if we do make the play-in why wouldn’t you want the future of your team getting experience versus a short term vet? Makes NO sense.

Fusternino
03-17-2022, 01:57 PM
Stop trying to get this team to play even smaller?

Now at least, KJ is an unambiguous SF.

KingKev
03-17-2022, 03:30 PM

Who spends most of his time at the 4?

Leetonidas
03-17-2022, 03:48 PM
Haven't heard that name in years. Didn't realize he was even still playing

TD 21
03-17-2022, 05:46 PM
Who spends most of his time at the 4?

By default because they lack another viable option (Bates-Diop is obviously not starting material).

Though not towards two traditional bigs in tandem, the league is trending bigger again.

Going forward, he can obviously play some 4 depending on matchups, but he's going to have to be the starting 3.

As you said, I suspect a White like extension is coming.

KingKev
03-17-2022, 05:56 PM
By default because they lack another viable option (Bates-Diop is obviously not starting material).

Though not towards two traditional bigs in tandem, the league is trending bigger again.

Going forward, he can obviously play some 4 depending on matchups, but he's going to have to be the starting 3.

As you said, I suspect a White like extension is coming.

or a backup 3/4 30 mins a game…. matchup dependent.

TD 21
03-17-2022, 06:10 PM
or a backup 3/4 30 mins a game…. matchup dependent.

For all of his obvious weaknesses, if his 3-point shot is for real, even if the ceiling is something like a forward version of Powell, that's easily a starting caliber player. Especially on this team.

KingKev
03-17-2022, 06:29 PM
For all of his obvious weaknesses, if his 3-point shot is for real, even if the ceiling is something like a forward version of Powell, that's easily a starting caliber player. Especially on this team.

He can start at the 3 with a proper starting 4. Right now he is putting up numbers on a team starved for talent.

Sandwich him between a 2 and a 4 who can play on both sides of the ball and one of those two as a goto scorer and he will shine.

Chinook
03-17-2022, 10:11 PM

I think it's pretty clear that the Spurs aren't actually looking at Johnson playing PF as a necessity. They had all the cap room in the world and signed a big wing and center. They brought in a bunch of forwards and cut them all. They trading their guard for another two guards. It's just what they want. That doesn't mean they'll always want it, but I don't think it's logical to keep saying Johnson plays PF by default, when the Spurs have consciously created that default for three years.

Chinook
03-17-2022, 10:13 PM

If anything Keldon is unambiguously a PF now. You could argue that he and McDermott shared that role early in the season. But the Spurs decided to start another guard for Doug without even considering any other position. I hope the Spurs draft a viable PF, if not two. But I have little doubt that even if they do that, the Spurs are likely to go into the year with that new PF on the bench or in Austin while Keldon, Poeltl and three guards start.

TD 21
03-18-2022, 04:23 PM
I don't think any of the recent roster moves are a sign that they view Johnson as a four because they clearly weren't concerned with attempting to put a long term plan in place when there was no core around to make it come to fruition. This season was about gaining more clarity to that end and they've done that.

emanueldavidginobili
03-18-2022, 05:07 PM
Damn had no clue he was out for the year wow, Hope he has a speedy recovery but more playing time for the younger guys.

exstatic
03-18-2022, 05:18 PM
Damn had no clue he was out for the year wow, Hope he has a speedy recovery but more playing time for the younger guys.

It was a grade 3 sprain, which takes longer to heal than the rest of the season. If this had happened in Jan or early Feb, he would have come back

Dverde
03-18-2022, 07:16 PM
In some ways this injury is good. Spurs know what they got with McNuggets. They can play some more minutes to the projects to see who to bring back next year.

John B
03-18-2022, 07:21 PM
In some ways this injury is good. Spurs know what they got with McNuggets. They can play some more minutes to the projects to see who to bring back next year.

It free-ups Pop’s hands to give more burn on J-Rich

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-24-2022, 05:53 PM
It free-ups Pop’s hands to give more burn on J-Rich

Defensively J-Rich is a big improvement over MVPDermott.

KingKev
03-24-2022, 06:04 PM

Who isn’t.

What I’ve always found disturbing about that signing was that it hinted that PATFO actually thought they were going to be a playoff team going into this year.

John B
03-24-2022, 06:40 PM

Yup but this helps him decide to play J-Rich more who seems to be a better fit

John B
03-24-2022, 06:46 PM
Who isn’t.

What I’ve always found disturbing about that signing was that it hinted that PATFO actually thought they were going to be a playoff team going into this year.

That shows this team is not going all-out rebuild, and will continue quasi-competitive.

KingKev
03-24-2022, 06:59 PM
That shows this team is not going all-out rebuild, and will continue quasi-competitive.

Not the strategy I’d choose but this shouldn’t surprise anyone. Will be interesting to see how things change when Pop hangs it up.

Gagnrath
03-25-2022, 04:25 AM
Not the strategy I’d choose but this shouldn’t surprise anyone. Will be interesting to see how things change when Pop hangs it up.

I sort of think they figured at a management/front office level getting Pop the all-time wins book mark would put them pretty close to a play in spot so they figured make it possible to take a run. Handing a young team who made the post season to a successor, vs #1 overall pick for getting the first year coach.