PDA

View Full Version : Weird question...physics related

SpursforSix
04-06-2022, 09:44 AM
So suppose you have a very long cylinder of some kind of flexible metal (say 100'). One one end is Point A and on the other is Point B. If you put force on Point A to roll it forward, then Point B also rolls forward but not instantaneously.
Now, what happens if you shorten the cylinder and use a less flexible metal. Say it's just a 4' cylinder of steel with Point A and Point B. And again, you put force on Point A to roll forward. Visually, it appears that Point B moves in conjunction with Point A. But in reality, does it really lag by some very small amount of time?

SnakeBoy
04-06-2022, 10:51 AM
There is no cylinder

SpursforSix
04-06-2022, 12:23 PM
There is no cylinder

I can't tell if that's a real answer or you being sarcastic. Are you saying that it's just a bunch of atoms and that there isn't really an object? If that's the case, then it seems (and I agree with) that Point B is behind Point A.

Tom
04-06-2022, 04:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK-2E4MTc3Y

SpursforSix
04-06-2022, 04:13 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image/jpeg;base64,/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQAAAQABAAD/2wCEAAoHCBUVFRgSFRIYGBgYGBgZGRgVGBgYGhIYGRgZGRgYGB gcIS4lHB4rIRgYJjgmKy8xNTU1GiQ7QDs0Py40NTEBDAwMEA8Q GhIRGDEhGCExNDExMTE0NDE0MTE0NDQ0MTE0NDQ0NDQ/MTE0PzQ0ND8/NDE0MTExNDQxNDExMTExMf/AABEIAJ8BPgMBIgACEQEDEQH/xAAbAAACAwEBAQAAAAAAAAAAAAACBAEDBQAGB//EADkQAAIBAgMFBAgEBwEBAAAAAAECAAMRBBIhBTFBUWFxkaHRE xQiMlKBscEGQpLwFSNTYqLh8XKC/8QAGAEAAwEBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAECAwT/xAAhEQEBAAMBAQACAgMAAAAAAAAAAQIREiExA0EiURMyYf/aAAwDAQACEQMRAD8AoMqaWmVNMauM/aP5fn9JmJTbWzE3J3njNXaKA5b8/tM56eU6EW36ecitsfjUwuMR09G4a4A9kgizDTQzNx9VKT5SS1z uG83lSVHuysbggWN9RrunPslWJq kBPAOSCtuR4xznZXf6a1LZBrJ7DEFiLU23k77A/aThsPZTTtbLddRaxvrEMNU9G6O1QllOYZGJAPWX7Q2wxN0bU7z CWyixfg9hMhFR6hCtcgA2zC8202jhkAp1KjKo1Ap6nNwnikx9V SGDnQ6ayzG4oVPbf3ydSNL9snLHf0/j1A/ENAaKjkcr2vLaX4npAADB5rbrtPEi0sR F5Nwh7e1bb9QtdMEgFtzXMBts4gb8Og7f8As8wrt8bd5mjh8Iz EM7adT9orjD6b2F2059p6SWHbr0EHEbSLa5cg4C94hYWABsBu6 9ZViKotpqfCOYwtjzW1ve/Myt63Nr9BKMhNrt8hLEpixY7gDa/E8JRLqWJF9LDxhYp84yfvpaJUaWpbs06yatVgCQdSw7rRwWKvU V 8Sl8PbU3jdCoWNydeHCNAXuLX1vpwEotF8Ax MW5cZtYHGsmZSqtx15dDMSpQKtoOovLvSnQ7iJnZs9NbE7fyHI FpspHVc4PA23wAMKMtZsN6ux1BDggdcoN7SnE0s6A/MEcJg4/DNf2idN1zFMYlubVb0ntpUzGwtrrpw7p1PaeHWiFqUBYE yGvdraEk7 Ok8rQLowI1F9VJ0YcuksrYgZy3ogFJ0QnMF7CZXII19sXq3akA mbQAEG3Ce2x21w2HXIwKCwVW9kq4AudOAO6edrbTzqF9EgINwb XPfFaYuNWsdbC hv95WWMtmv0JbPphcPTKVM92cnMCNBcnUR/8ADFEK4YHQsRl GwmO1UAAb7C1vvN78OWzIRvJNx8t8cgyvj1UiEYJmsc1dOkXnX jJN5MgSYAU6DCgHn2WVER1lgMkyraMfadJmUZRcgzMNKra2XTl znqssA0xJ0uZaeXajUJvk6fKSlGqPy/KelKCQUj5PqvMthqp/LA9TqfDPTFJGWGi6eZbAvynfw oeE9NlkFY9F282NnVOQl1PZrnp1m8ElgEBslQwoTd7TczuEli2 saYReq WTlDlC9TS3hBw6XzFm0UXYj6DmZRVqH5nf8A2iU13sgXXXl95M WYw9Uu26yi9h92POM4z2UVLa 83z3RPCOFIXmNe07v31jla7uRzP8AwQpxZgPdZjwBAHU8frFr7 weJjaUCqkQMljuuOMFaL0qZLS3AkqwUm4sV8JacMeEsShY3O60 KVht1VgAbkW0O49Jl1qeVrTVQ3i2NS/DXdftkHrweAqgWB3fSM4/Cqwy3uDqDxtMlGs1uR/3NvDMGtfd04dZTOvP1NjAcfGVfwYcz3z0WJpZTa9xwPOUWms9Z XKsZdjiENjDnNgQgI9FcqyF2MvEzS2Xs5EbOL3taXhIzRS0qQr lTUgwjBMGaJ06dKDpMiSIBM4SJwgGcRK2EtMraZNgyDCgmIAME iGZ0ArIg2hkTrRgFp1odpwEYABJtCE5gYqFLNaJ1nA3/ADjNdjumViaoHX7yL9aSKcRiDwGh8e2c1M5Rc7vaMWrOWYXO7w jRN1Y/ RHVBwV2bfy7hNr04UjX5zERgq9eP pWcQW0XS3P7Ra2puLjQTa8h8Rqe2edfFlDY7/rNDZ5aqwAjuOhLtsUMZY6xtaqvxmPtUClaZNPavt5VJB74tbO3 T3FNNIttCoFEUwG0wd8jatWxXk1/lpJ16LfFRHvEfEPpHtn4jTslCUxkZudpVhHtr8o2Teb2lty1H3 EUMvwj6WldZRc2l41nlACGogKJagmiFqJLFgrCBgmmjAaHAaBB k3nQbwAp15F5F5ShTrwbzrwSTaVNLHlRmTZ0gyZBiCDBMIzrRg M6TadaMkWkWhTowgQXawhiV1YqIy8VU1tMio12NtZo4lt5MRWp b3V1PHjM20WYbAfmbfvPQdYKYlSXpjp4GUYrGFEK5vaY6jie2K bIUks/ylc/s59aNamflKWQcoz6XhK98UXoi GzEaT2X4RwiKwFtTe57BPPou6ei2TjKaWzGx3fOLK7PGaqj8T4 XOMw4fSedwGGCNmygnrwntK1m7CJjNhgrabosboZTdVHCMD6Rb C 9Ru7Zfjlul Kg2jdBeEDGiysOkLS0Ywy5qX/zfuU YmepyoDzb/sZ2a/sL/4I7fZlNZLqF5XI7f2ImdaWCe9pdXGsQwDm0fY6S8frLIAENIIE NZtpmtEmRedGkzTOk5oFDjDeAAYJMkwZITeRedeDeChXkEyLyL ygoqSsw2gmZNAyJM6AROkyIB0gyZ0ZIM6TIMYQYD7ochhCh5/Fm5PbMutWym44TXxaa/MzDxQ1Mzn1tCeJqB33amaeATKthzmKSVOaauzsQHB0tYysp4JY bMlZM6S0lS7FdekLBXNgxufrK6rXgUAcwtzge21s/FOVJZbFWOn9u7WNsLmWYcLl1474u8k9mEJEDErcEHiD9JWjwcT Vsp7Igr2RfIo45Qe 4EYbeJnYTFZDbog7QvCNUa Ykj4vDfHplkdpCx cftpESdAR0 8dpPcR4/WeXxwEJZ0kTZiK8mDClJXUIbQKENoBWYJMIwDJUiRJkGAdeQTO kGUFLCQYTQWmTQNpBEkyIB0iTOjDpEmdGSDIkyIBBgVDYE9JZa daAYWJcsBaZGMAHbNra HUAuLg8eRnlq9UcDI161xvhfEtpaW7Fqe OwxLEVLy7ZJ1bsEuz JT/Z6BZzQKe6U4liVIHKQ0Z M2k17JuHHnK02nUGunda3dKUW0ICaTGJtteu2VtL0qX3EaN284 9PJ7Bcq7AbiO609PSa4vMspqqxvi68yNu7R9Gq2Fyx3dBvmkzz xe3sVnqkX0X2R8t5hjjujLLUNYfaLO4O4brcvnNzZ1TeD0755T Bb56HCvaVlNJxu49HRa4Aj G3TLwD3NpsqsWM9Z5X9JEkTgsm00ZOkzgJNoBZROstYSqiNZey x7CgwWlrLK2EQDIMm0i0AgwTCtBlADiARBqYkcoHp kw6jfmrLSLSpsUBwgHGDlDqDmr7TrRc4scpKYkE2tDuFzV84CV vUkJXF9Y 4OaZFOd6KcMXT5t4Sqvtekik3YnlpF0Oat9HFcRjKdP33A6DU9 0wNofiB3uE9kdN5mDiHPE6xyny9BtHbSOCqoT1bTwE81iKi8hK y/zlFa8qQfPiqo14zsoasegiZMfwItrLs8Tjf5NhG0gLAVpGaZV0 QDbPDbmtfnBfZzKt7r8jGlcRnDqCdwh1RzAbKwZRC7b2GnZNRD ZR2SKrXFpDHhFbsvitzPFYj2nY82P1nsq72RjyU/SeMTQysGf5P0fTDHKHUbjH6DHcdIomMsmWOJUzm9uUMjmnp9iU yx6DfN70cw9gbRVAVKg3PHTxm22OXflAHaTJmWmeWNtGEkhJWu 0U6d5hfxJOQ7zH2nmrhTkinKhtdB VfGT/FkP5F8YdjkzRpaiMtQmcu2UU3Cr3GE/wCIb8E/SYuhwaalKWpxV9uk8F/TKW2x1H6YTMcnTTgejiLbUPPwkfxM8/8AGOZjk8UgFImdpn9iAdon9iPocFjhD18JHqh/u8POWGus706TmdJd8Nzv4QPVx18Jczof QGZJRA9XHXwhps8tqL/AOPnCR0/YlwxScPpAthGy2/u7185XXwARczXA7V84dbHoo68rTzu0Nqi p15DhHjjaN6 mq1cC UTPq4tR7zD6mY Ix7tcA2HIRO5m OH9puf9NTEY5OALGL1w1rkWPLlCpYcIM77 A5dsqrXY5g5tyj1Bu69V0yeMFNN5nKwJ7IBIYX6xo2iomt4/S0ESdtNOEeTj3y56m UwjcZYusVQ27IwpmOWNlb45bhqmgmlRVQJlI8ZSryiXs67iAXl OaSht5c4a/oa17U4oXQ9l 7WeSakSVtx87T0u1a2Wna raecxqpymnfhTzd7sR9pvzzj/1zZZdZFnFjblNTZ1QEZb 0PETKqEXLczeW4QhXD3kWeKl9eiweJHvHde1 Vuc2MNitNDcd88 uIJUMihrnUfWRiabp/MQlQd4H5T1G60y5Vt66hkO9R46d0002fTO5kPYHP3nhcNt0ro6 X6roe6ei2dtdG9x/kdD3RZY5QeVsnZqc1/Q/nI/h6c1/Q/nFmx7bgpPYT5SPXH BvHykeka9TTmv6G85xwSc1/QfOJnGvu9G3 XlOOKf mfGHpGjhUHL9H 5U1BOn6P9yk4ip/T sEvU/pnuMclG1xRen6B5wGVf2g85SXqfBK2er8EYNWH7USMo6/pWL56nwiQXf4RACNHs/SfOD6v2dx85UcU3Kd603KRzWnUXerjp3Hzheqjp3HzirYpuUE4 p UfNHUOeqdf8T5xfHBaaZjYk6AZf9yo41 QmbtWo9QZb2YKxUczp5S8cLanLKRkbU2lvUHXieUxRUB4yuuxv rv6xcmb446Z5ZbO2mnhMHlGdt/Acpm7PcXzNuUX7TwmxYPlcMdIZU8YrVnYsHUW4TNqudABH8XiA QyA627pnZbAAHWTirJG7USXBtoIKA8ecNSdSTxjSBDzEbRvdPS 377ooy3NwYxRN1/wDJ/f3lY/U0zIDleo5SByhZb/vlLyks9TjbL4Yo1A26OpYC8SpoitcnMDTBQpY 2xsqt0vBxgWwvnBCnRxbO6 8B0tMrj63n5DXrYJyqMx8I2nsjM51 nZF9m01APxA66g2lO0KnCbfjwxnrH8meWXhPG1y734DcOQkVbe kIIuEpovcgP1MFE 8u2noz24v4DT7CL8lGEZam99JdRNyVI0gNcjSHc20Gszq2hh8Q qZV3XmrTRyzBiChFhzmLQfdcC/0mlha/pFZbMttA0zsXCWPwrI2u47jzg03Isb2I48prgIqLTdr30F9SOv ZM3F4Uo1uHAy8ct VGU029lbfKkLUP/1cjTk1vrPYUHR1DAb/AO9vOfLAZrbK2kyfyyTlNgLHVL6XHSTl PfwTJ9BKpyH6n84DZOQ73855V2qhipqNoeZg kf o3eZH OjqPUsE5D/LzlLFfhXuPnPNFn/qN3mRZvjbvMfFHT0L25L3HzlTW5CYJz/Ee8wSG I95hwOm61v7YJZf7e6YLqeZ7zKyp5 MORtuFYOWXEQSIaLaspBKS0iRaPQ2pKTBxWIs bgDb5TdxjZUZuQM8u7XE1/HNellVG1sGGHpEGoFyBxW/vAcxuMwmnp8K/DiD7Pz3g9DMnamDC/zUHsk2Kn8rcuommU36iUnhntpzmtTxJVAFF9dZhXj AqmZZRpjkexSAXcjeNefZErD3r8JosGJIvdbaDreI4hSGsRoRJ i6qYhtxhAg3XlALZdwlu4Egaxkqey6RnBD3hzH0/7KFNxqJ1GoVbdpHKmw9bjfSw1jeBVmKZA4ctpYCzo11uL7/KZOKrM3ZymtsWsoenck5WF81yEvoMtu0R3LZa09phNm0sOgJtc KMzkAZiu7duk40UsSCRlZSMt7WIHG3EGM4mgtRRe9hw56cekXp 4VadxuB1NgLLYcAIr8TuvEPhTSd19IqMjaDK16qtaw5aDW/bKTi0c/CRz3GP7YxTFWcMuWrUKZWBLgIB7Sm1lU2Gl7zDsF1tCZWL5ljT pUd1iDE9qH e6G /6gH7wqD3TOAQRfcbXi1ZybsdSdT1juXQmOgqAo374dMWuSdIKi 6gkQ6ahl clUiWDZrg6R6niWVfZW55RJyL5YWFGWwvxis2pv0rNldkGYDtt M/auOzoxAIyMACfzcCJ1EPnzlvZA3fUTOxOIZxUBAsN3bcRYz0sv gaVbMLzU2TSz1ETmwv2XuZg0DPVfhamAzVDuQadpnRhj1lGOV1 K38Yuaz8Toe0RYpH1W6HqTb6xSV bHVR PLcU5Z2WW2kWmOl7UlYJWXESCItHsuySspGyIBWGht//Zhttps://i.ytimg.com/vi/kK-2E4MTc3Y/maxresdefault.jpg

Damn...that looks just like your mom when I stick it in her butt

MultiTroll
04-06-2022, 04:50 PM
Now, what happens if you shorten the cylinder and use a less flexible metal. Say it's just a 4' cylinder of steel with Point A and Point B. And again, you put force on Point A to roll forward. Visually, it appears that Point B moves in conjunction with Point A. But in reality, does it really lag by some very small amount of time?
Have you thought about asking her/him if they can feel the difference?
You're talking about your cock, right?

I don't think anyone should diminish your question.

Millennial_Messiah
04-06-2022, 05:27 PM
Wolfram alpha it

that's what I always used to do with that kind of hw in hs and college

SpursforSix
04-06-2022, 07:26 PM
Wolfram alpha it

that's what I always used to do with that kind of hw in hs and college

Yeah. This obviously was the wrong forum.

FrostKing
04-06-2022, 07:26 PM
Loved physics. I'm IT but better than Math. Remember alot of examples turned out opposite of my initial expectation. Impressed me. Would physics again.

Thread
04-06-2022, 08:33 PM
SfS...you know how he's acting? How, Dale?

Dale:::Glad to be alive.

SfS, Bless your heart, boy.

pgardn
04-06-2022, 09:10 PM
So suppose you have a very long cylinder of some kind of flexible metal (say 100'). One one end is Point A and on the other is Point B. If you put force on Point A to roll it forward, then Point B also rolls forward but not instantaneously.

You are correct, it does lag. Or I gather this is what you thought.

This problem involves a cylinder so it makes it more difficult but this is the only way to ask the question you want answered.
So if I could make it easier can we assume this happens with only one external force?, the one you put on the cylinder at a specific point A. This means no gravity and no friction involved because if this happened on the earth both of these forces would be involved and with friction causing the rolling. the question becomes more difficult but you would get the same answer. So if I could rewrite the question as:

You have a long cylinder at rest in space with point A on one end away from the center of mass of the cylinder and point B at the other end of the cylinder. A force is applied at point A and causes acceleration (ie the cylinder starts to move).

Since point A is not at the cylinder's center of mass or along the axis of the center of mass the cylinder would begin to rotate in two ways. A and B would rotate length wise around the center of mass AND the cylinder would also start to revolve around the axis that runs down the center(this is what your question is interested in). Also its center of mass would accelerate (btw the center of mass would not even exist ON this cylinder if it was hollow like a straw.) You are interested in the revolution around the axis down the center of the cylinder it sounds like. So, when a force is applied at A, B would not be Directly affected. It would actually be the bonds between all the atoms between A and B that would cause B to start to rotate (thus accelerate) a bit later. It would almost be like these bonds are springs and you would first load up the springs around A and this would follow down the line to B. So this is sort of a physics and chemistry question. And the physics of bonds is complex so we will stick with the spring analogy.

So if you were able to keep a view down the axis of point A and point B, point B would appear to lag behind in rotation in my estimation.

Now it gets more interesting if we applied this force over a period of time and then stopped applying the force. Would A and B eventually look like they would rotate together sometime after the force was stopped? This gets a bit weird because it would probably be best answered by involving the use of energy ideas and probably resonance and the consequences of bonds stretching reacting to other bond stretching and/or energizing. So the spring analogy is probably useful.

Now we get into conservation laws and resonance and such. I think the following video might help. Would A and B become synchronous in their rotation later on? I think so. Do thus synchrony get disturbed and the reestablish with no more force or energy applied? ie does it go in and out of some resonance... not sure.

This video is where it leads me. These atoms do have elasticity when bonded and energy can be transferred. So take a look:
Play the video and watch how the metronomes (atoms with different states) synchronize. This really is a type of mechanical wave substituted for an electromagnetic interaction between atoms.

https://sciencedemonstrations.fas.harvard.edu/presentations/synchronization-metronomes

So I think you are correct but the question gets funky if the force is taken away as to what happens to point A and B if NO external forces outside the atoms act.

The video is really cool in the above. I wish I had seen this sooner. I like this type of stuff. But sometimes you really have to pare down the question to make it more applicable to a simpler form of physics. And I dont mean to show off and might be wrong, but its still enjoyable for me and maybe you too. Most of the easy mechanics physics questions ask about point masses in simple environments and then move into extended objects like yours. The level of the atom then makes things more difficult and you have to go modern physics.

pgardn
04-06-2022, 09:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVkdfJ9PkRQ

This is also cool. This is where I am coming with what happens after the force is no longer supplied... what happens....

In your example of a cylinder with patterns and dealing with atoms causing other atoms to react might be as simple as the same length of thread pendulums all lined up and bound to each other through the horizontal they hang from. the first one is made to oscillate by a force (merely making it swing) it would cause all the others to swing after time but would they eventually go out of synchrony...

I know this is along way off of SF6 question but its answered I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlcsym0dC9Y

The above would be simpler if the atoms (pendulums) were all the same length and then point A is forced to oscillate and then let go of. Point B down the line would be behind. Even in atoms. But would they "catch up" ...

SpursforSix
04-07-2022, 09:43 AM
You are correct, it does lag. Or I gather this is what you thought.

This problem involves a cylinder so it makes it more difficult but this is the only way to ask the question you want answered.
So if I could make it easier can we assume this happens with only one external force?, the one you put on the cylinder at a specific point A. This means no gravity and no friction involved because if this happened on the earth both of these forces would be involved and with friction causing the rolling. the question becomes more difficult but you would get the same answer. So if I could rewrite the question as:

You have a long cylinder at rest in space with point A on one end away from the center of mass of the cylinder and point B at the other end of the cylinder. A force is applied at point A and causes acceleration (ie the cylinder starts to move).

Since point A is not at the cylinder's center of mass or along the axis of the center of mass the cylinder would begin to rotate in two ways. A and B would rotate length wise around the center of mass AND the cylinder would also start to revolve around the axis that runs down the center(this is what your question is interested in). Also its center of mass would accelerate (btw the center of mass would not even exist ON this cylinder if it was hollow like a straw.) You are interested in the revolution around the axis down the center of the cylinder it sounds like. So, when a force is applied at A, B would not be Directly affected. It would actually be the bonds between all the atoms between A and B that would cause B to start to rotate (thus accelerate) a bit later. It would almost be like these bonds are springs and you would first load up the springs around A and this would follow down the line to B. So this is sort of a physics and chemistry question. And the physics of bonds is complex so we will stick with the spring analogy.

So if you were able to keep a view down the axis of point A and point B, point B would appear to lag behind in rotation in my estimation.

Now it gets more interesting if we applied this force over a period of time and then stopped applying the force. Would A and B eventually look like they would rotate together sometime after the force was stopped? This gets a bit weird because it would probably be best answered by involving the use of energy ideas and probably resonance and the consequences of bonds stretching reacting to other bond stretching and/or energizing. So the spring analogy is probably useful.

Now we get into conservation laws and resonance and such. I think the following video might help. Would A and B become synchronous in their rotation later on? I think so. Do thus synchrony get disturbed and the reestablish with no more force or energy applied? ie does it go in and out of some resonance... not sure.

This video is where it leads me. These atoms do have elasticity when bonded and energy can be transferred. So take a look:
Play the video and watch how the metronomes (atoms with different states) synchronize. This really is a type of mechanical wave substituted for an electromagnetic interaction between atoms.

https://sciencedemonstrations.fas.harvard.edu/presentations/synchronization-metronomes

So I think you are correct but the question gets funky if the force is taken away as to what happens to point A and B if NO external forces outside the atoms act.

The video is really cool in the above. I wish I had seen this sooner. I like this type of stuff. But sometimes you really have to pare down the question to make it more applicable to a simpler form of physics. And I dont mean to show off and might be wrong, but its still enjoyable for me and maybe you too. Most of the easy mechanics physics questions ask about point masses in simple environments and then move into extended objects like yours. The level of the atom then makes things more difficult and you have to go modern physics.

Thanks for taking the time. Yeah...I didn't even consider friction or gravity. And in hindsight, maybe I should have asked the question with Points A, B, and C. With B being in the middle and the point where the force was applied. I think that would negate the differential between the original A and B. I started thinking about rolling up a poster or map where if you only applied force to and end point, you end up with an very imperfect roll. So if you applied force to the exact midpoint, do A and C lag.
Or the other way I guess was to assume a floating cylinder in a vacuum.

That's a very interesting point about stopping the applied force.

I'm going to check out the video and the one below when I get some time. I only took high school physics but I wished I would have taken some in college because it's all pretty interesting to me. For some reason, I think about these things when I try to fall asleep. It's almost like a koan I guess.

Anyway, I appreciate the explanation and links.

pgardn
04-07-2022, 10:13 AM
Thanks for taking the time. Yeah...I didn't even consider friction or gravity. And in hindsight, maybe I should have asked the question with Points A, B, and C. With B being in the middle and the point where the force was applied. I think that would negate the differential between the original A and B. I started thinking about rolling up a poster or map where if you only applied force to and end point, you end up with an very imperfect roll. So if you applied force to the exact midpoint, do A and C lag.
Or the other way I guess was to assume a floating cylinder in a vacuum.

That's a very interesting point about stopping the applied force.

I'm going to check out the video and the one below when I get some time. I only took high school physics but I wished I would have taken some in college because it's all pretty interesting to me. For some reason, I think about these things when I try to fall asleep. It's almost like a koan I guess.

Anyway, I appreciate the explanation and links.

Gravity will still act in a vacuum on Earth but I get what you are trying to achieve.

Also, you now got me thinking about just about how we grab objects and move them. Sometimes they bend. I was just helping put up a wire fence with T posts and all and we bent wire around the T posts. The wire changed color a bit a gave off heat when bent, you could feel it. This is the hallmark of a chemical reaction. So these types of things lead me to all sorts of other thoughts so I appreciate an occasional diversion to physical phenomena I have not thought about.

I really dont know enough about the physics of chemical bonds is what it comes down to.

SpursforSix
04-07-2022, 01:21 PM
Gravity will still act in a vacuum on Earth but I get what you are trying to achieve.

Also, you now got me thinking about just about how we grab objects and move them. Sometimes they bend. I was just helping put up a wire fence with T posts and all and we bent wire around the T posts. The wire changed color a bit a gave off heat when bent, you could feel it. This is the hallmark of a chemical reaction. So these types of things lead me to all sorts of other thoughts so I appreciate an occasional diversion to physical phenomena I have not thought about.

I really dont know enough about the physics of chemical bonds is what it comes down to.

Really changing the subject now but when I was 25 or so, I worked on my uncle's farm/ranch for the summers. He had just bought it and it was just raw land with no improvements. 140 acres that I got to install T posts and fencing around. Plus interior sections. With some barbed wire on certain areas. That was the hardest physical labor I've ever done.

ElNono
04-07-2022, 05:45 PM

Bend over, I'll give you a very long cylinder...

Millennial_Messiah
04-07-2022, 06:32 PM
Loved physics. I'm IT but better than Math. Remember alot of examples turned out opposite of my initial expectation. Impressed me. Would physics again.

Loved chemistry, liked biology and nutrition science. Always hated fuckin' physics, though.

Millennial_Messiah
04-07-2022, 06:32 PM
Also trigonometry kicked my ass. Those trig proofs scalped me of many brain cells

Algebra and statistics always came naturally to me. Fuck geometry of any kind

SpursforSix
04-08-2022, 11:36 AM
Also trigonometry kicked my ass. Those trig proofs scalped me of many brain cells

Algebra and statistics always came naturally to me. Fuck geometry of any kind

Man...I loved Geometry. For some reason, it always clicked for me. On the other hand, I hated Algebra, Trig, and Calc. But looking back, it's probably because I half assed it in the beginning and never really caught up. I didn't really care for Statistics but it was never difficult. And in hindsight, it's one of the more important maths one can take for real life applications. Even if one can't do the math part of it, the ideas behind it apply to so many parts of life.

Millennial_Messiah
04-08-2022, 01:23 PM
Man...I loved Geometry. For some reason, it always clicked for me. On the other hand, I hated Algebra, Trig, and Calc. But looking back, it's probably because I half assed it in the beginning and never really caught up. I didn't really care for Statistics but it was never difficult. And in hindsight, it's one of the more important maths one can take for real life applications. Even if one can't do the math part of it, the ideas behind it apply to so many parts of life.

Eeeeeeeyuppers. It is the most important particularly if you want a high paid data analyst type job. Nobody cares if you can do trig or derivatives or integrals or differential equations. If you can find the z-score or the p-value or the t-value and know what alpha is and how to use it in a business context, you ace interviews and get paid.

SpursforSix
04-08-2022, 01:30 PM
Eeeeeeeyuppers. It is the most important particularly if you want a high paid data analyst type job. Nobody cares if you can do trig or derivatives or integrals or differential equations. If you can find the z-score or the p-value or the t-value and know what alpha is and how to use it in a business context, you ace interviews and get paid.

It's way more useful than just that. Even on everyday decisions (business or otherwise), understanding how to calculate risk (even very simple probabilistic risk) is worth knowing. Even if you're off on your risk assessments, you at least have an idea.
Just knowing what you need for a return (vs your risk) is pretty informative.

Millennial_Messiah
04-08-2022, 02:04 PM
It's way more useful than just that. Even on everyday decisions (business or otherwise), understanding how to calculate risk (even very simple probabilistic risk) is worth knowing. Even if you're off on your risk assessments, you at least have an idea.
Just knowing what you need for a return (vs your risk) is pretty informative.
ST post of the year 2022 nominee here :bobo

pgardn
04-08-2022, 09:29 PM
Really changing the subject now but when I was 25 or so, I worked on my uncle's farm/ranch for the summers. He had just bought it and it was just raw land with no improvements. 140 acres that I got to install T posts and fencing around. Plus interior sections. With some barbed wire on certain areas. That was the hardest physical labor I've ever done.

Oh hell yes it’s hard, ESPECIALLY with barbed wire. Double stranded wire without barbs is much, much easier. Putting in the H posts, the wooden post that gives it stability along with just wooden posts can be very difficult, even with an auger on a tractor if the soil is packed.

changing the subject back again that wire can expand and contract a whole lot I’m thinking, so I asked the guys I was doing this with about the tension requirements. We did this fencing in eastern Colorado where you can get 90’s in the summer and -20F in the winter through many seasons. I thought it might snap the wood posts, even the ones in the H posts. They were totally unconcerned so I looked at the other older fencing and it was fine. We used a tractor with a “come along” for the tensioning. It still worries me now but the other guys said “high tensile strength” and I just said “okay” So I still don’t get it. During the winter storm we had a huge telephone pole just snap in the cold. My neighborhood stayed offline for an extra day and a half when the rest of SA had power. Lots of physics/chemistry going on in the above that I’m not sure about.

Anyways, barbed wire is not pulled nearly as tight as other wire cause it will snap. It’s a total pain in the ass.

(Incoming “I’ll show you a …. )

Oh… we also used a gasoline powered T post pounder. Hard to lift but you just let her rip and it pounds them in easily. That also made the job easier.

pgardn
04-08-2022, 09:49 PM
Only trig I ever came upon was on tests. :lol

In real world, you have all your resources next to you. You don't need to memorize.

This is true for the most part.
But because some phenomena go back and forth repeating themselves, waves, oscillations, etc… it’s super useful in physics and other things that cycle through some pattern. Very important in electricity to astronomy. All from comparing sides from a freaking triangle made by a line moving in a circle. It’s quite amazing to me. I would have never seen this unless I was taught it.

We found out Bin Laden was in a certain location by “shining” lasers on windows of the complex he was in while his voice/ sound waves vibrated the windows in his voice pattern. Thats fckn awesome to me. We read his particular pattern of sound wave frequencies….that goes back to trig functions.

Millennial_Messiah
04-08-2022, 10:32 PM
This is true for the most part.
But because some phenomena go back and forth repeating themselves, waves, oscillations, etc… it’s super useful in physics and other things that cycle through some pattern. Very important in electricity to astronomy. All from comparing sides from a freaking triangle made by a line moving in a circle. It’s quite amazing to me. I would have never seen this unless I was taught it.

We found out Bin Laden was in a certain location by “shining” lasers on windows of the complex he was in while his voice/ sound waves vibrated the windows in his voice pattern. Thats fckn awesome to me. We read his particular pattern of sound wave frequencies….that goes back to trig functions.

Humans didn't do those trig functions, though. They were all done with state of the art computer assistance.

Heck, FORTRAN, the original math computer language that can do trig and diff equations, has been around since the time of JFK. It's not novelty.

SpursforSix
04-08-2022, 10:39 PM
Oh hell yes it’s hard, ESPECIALLY with barbed wire. Double stranded wire without barbs is much, much easier. Putting in the H posts, the wooden post that gives it stability along with just wooden posts can be very difficult, even with an auger on a tractor if the soil is packed.

changing the subject back again that wire can expand and contract a whole lot I’m thinking, so I asked the guys I was doing this with about the tension requirements. We did this fencing in eastern Colorado where you can get 90’s in the summer and -20F in the winter through many seasons. I thought it might snap the wood posts, even the ones in the H posts. They were totally unconcerned so I looked at the other older fencing and it was fine. We used a tractor with a “come along” for the tensioning. It still worries me now but the other guys said “high tensile strength” and I just said “okay” So I still don’t get it. During the winter storm we had a huge telephone pole just snap in the cold. My neighborhood stayed offline for an extra day and a half when the rest of SA had power. Lots of physics/chemistry going on in the above that I’m not sure about.

Anyways, barbed wire is not pulled nearly as tight as other wire cause it will snap. It’s a total pain in the ass.

(Incoming “I’ll show you a …. )

Oh… we also used a gasoline powered T post pounder. Hard to lift but you just let her rip and it pounds them in easily. That also made the job easier.

OK. You clearly win. I dealt with a lot of 100 degree days pulling barbed wire and setting posts without an auger. But as soon as you talk about sub zero (even just freezing), I’m out. At least with the heat, you can feel all your parts.

pgardn
04-09-2022, 08:40 AM
OK. You clearly win. I dealt with a lot of 100 degree days pulling barbed wire and setting posts without an auger. But as soon as you talk about sub zero (even just freezing), I’m out. At least with the heat, you can feel all your parts.

You win.

I put this fence up in 50 degree weather for the most part. The friend that I helped never fences during extremely hot or cold because it totally sucks. I was just thinking about what happens when his fence does experience extreme temps. I waited to fly up to help based on weather (nice for fencing) and my job. You probably had to work in the heat and you did. Aside: When he let the horses into the new 10 acres fenced off they ran the perimeter like 3 times checking out their new “pasture”. It was amazing. After they settled they came up to us kind of excited and happy it seemed.

And you put up barbed wire in the heat…. You win by a mile imo.

Btw we also burned a huge amount of tumble weed on the existing fences. He thought most of it was done for the season. Wrong. The new fence is full of it. Another physics/chemistry observation: The wire noticeably sagged when the fire got really hot. Then it straightened back up noticeably after about an hour at ~ 50 F. We also made sure what the wind forecast was and did not burn big amounts all at once. Some parts of Colorado are extremely dry. The climate is very up and down erratic now almost every season. Fires are something you have to be very careful with.

pgardn
04-09-2022, 08:55 AM
Humans didn't do those trig functions, though. They were all done with state of the art computer assistance.

Heck, FORTRAN, the original math computer language that can do trig and diff equations, has been around since the time of JFK. It's not novelty.

What? The Greeks invented these triangle side ratios and then found out they followed cyclical/now called wave patterns? Computers do this much faster and much more accurately. As humans started observing phenomena over and over again they found that trig functions described them very well. Trig was invented for play and building problems then we found it useful in other ways later.

Computers basically made the hand calculations much faster.. Trig is basically how the ratio of the sides of a triangle changes based on angle changes. As you go from zero to 90 degrees the ratios change unevenly. If you use negative numbers as well you find you get functions that describe some complex cycles.

You need to read some history. You appear very stuck in a timeframe you think is special probably because you live in it.

Of course humans did those trig functions. And who programs the computers? A wheat crop?

Millennial_Messiah
04-09-2022, 01:11 PM
What? The Greeks invented these triangle side ratios and then found out they followed cyclical/now called wave patterns? Computers do this much faster and much more accurately. As humans started observing phenomena over and over again they found that trig functions described them very well. Trig was invented for play and building problems then we found it useful in other ways later.

Computers basically made the hand calculations much faster.. Trig is basically how the ratio of the sides of a triangle changes based on angle changes. As you go from zero to 90 degrees the ratios change unevenly. If you use negative numbers as well you find you get functions that describe some complex cycles.

You need to read some history. You appear very stuck in a timeframe you think is special probably because you live in it.

Of course humans did those trig functions. And who programs the computers? A wheat crop?

Trig by hand is very, very difficult. That whole brain-cell-scorching stuff with radians and degrees and half angle formula double angle formula and trig proofs, it has no business being part of a required course to graduate high school... optional, okay? But not required.

I can do trig up to Pythagorean's theorem... that's all.

pgardn
04-09-2022, 07:06 PM
Trig by hand is very, very difficult. That whole brain-cell-scorching stuff with radians and degrees and half angle formula double angle formula and trig proofs, it has no business being part of a required course to graduate high school... optional, okay? But not required.

I can do trig up to Pythagorean's theorem... that's all.

Oh.

I did not know we are talking about required to graduate high school.
You brought that in.
You said HUMANS cant do these things.

If you have a 3,4,5 right triangle you are telling me you cant divide 3 by 5 or 4 by 5? Thats sine or cosine of whatever angle you have other than the 90 degree angle. You dont even need the angle. Its a ratio of sides. All sin cos tan mean is take a ratio of two sides of a right triangle. When the Greeks kept drawing these things without knowing the exact angle, they could still make a ratio by measuring the sides using the radius of a circle being the hypotenuse. And one of the sides being equal to the hypotenuse when you got to pi/2, pi, 3/2 pi and 2 pi. The Greeks noticed these numbers repeated a pattern and made many tables which became really good. Before we had calculators, kids in school used tables that got close enough.

The degree thing is totally made up. It could be 100 degrees, 200 degrees, 300 degrees, 400 degrees. Its just that 360 has by common agreement to be the number of degrees of a circle. Its from navigation I think and has no real meaning, it just agreed upon for communication. Radians have real meaning in reference to a circle.

All math ideas can get very difficult if you play with it and do enough "what if I do this now". Algebra CAN become a total mess. Very difficult. The greeks played brain games with circles and triangles. It was fun for some of them. They apparently really liked to play around with geometry and some of it became of practical use of course. People get bored with everything being a red ball. They want green pyramids, and blue squares. And then mix the colors and shapes up. Yeah?

pgardn
04-09-2022, 07:15 PM

This kind of thing has a real name btw I found out.

Torsion.
Torsion bars "cylinders" are used in a lot of different devices. Its those bars that make the trunk of older cars so easy to push up and down. They would be too heavy without torsion or some sort of spring. Kind of like garage doors use to be in old houses without motors (garage door openers). They still "help" the motors lift the garage doors. You found a really big subject. disclosure: I am not an engineer. So there is that.

SpursforSix
04-09-2022, 09:52 PM
This kind of thing has a real name btw I found out.

Torsion.
Torsion bars "cylinders" are used in a lot of different devices. Its those bars that make the trunk of older cars so easy to push up and down. They would be too heavy without torsion or some sort of spring. Kind of like garage doors use to be in old houses without motors (garage door openers). They still "help" the motors lift the garage doors. You found a really big subject. disclosure: I am not an engineer. So there is that.

Honestly, this is getting over my head pretty fast. I’m not going to spend the time looking at anything that has a anything but simple equation. The thing I like about simple physics ( and geometry for that matter) is that it logically makes sense to me. In hindsight, I wish I would have taken more science and math classes. But it’s all stuff I didn’t really appreciate until I was older.

Funny story though. I went to Catholic high school and we had a pretty awesome theology teacher. He actually got fired for exposing us to Buddhism and alternate philosophies/religions. Long story short, for some reason, he became our physics teacher one year. He was great at explaining it. After he got fired, he got a masters and doctorate in physics because he liked it so much. He still teaches high school and has won a couple of “Teacher of the Year” awards and shit like that. He could be making way more in a college setting but wants to stimulate younger minds. One of those teachers that you’re lucky to have.

pgardn
04-09-2022, 10:16 PM
Honestly, this is getting over my head pretty fast. I’m not going to spend the time looking at anything that has a anything but simple equation. The thing I like about simple physics ( and geometry for that matter) is that it logically makes sense to me. In hindsight, I wish I would have taken more science and math classes. But it’s all stuff I didn’t really appreciate until I was older.

Funny story though. I went to Catholic high school and we had a pretty awesome theology teacher. He actually got fired for exposing us to Buddhism and alternate philosophies/religions. Long story short, for some reason, he became our physics teacher one year. He was great at explaining it. After he got fired, he got a masters and doctorate in physics because he liked it so much. He still teaches high school and has won a couple of “Teacher of the Year” awards and shit like that. He could be making way more in a college setting but wants to stimulate younger minds. One of those teachers that you’re lucky to have.

You had a cool question.

And it blossomed for me personally.
I did not major in physics, I dont work with physics, I just love the problems and the ideas.
It is the most refreshing science subject imo as it starts out with very simple suppositions and just gets bigger.
You dont have to deal with near as many variables like chemistry and biology have. Which is why people think it is difficult, because its so simple we can describe it with math. But absolutely the math gets difficult.

You asked a neat question. I blabbered on. Im still thinking about waves moving back and forth through the cylinder endlessly if bond "stretching" releases zero energy.

And I wish I had your teacher.

Millennial_Messiah
04-09-2022, 10:18 PM
Oh.

I did not know we are talking about required to graduate high school.
You brought that in.
You said HUMANS cant do these things.

If you have a 3,4,5 right triangle you are telling me you cant divide 3 by 5 or 4 by 5? Thats sine or cosine of whatever angle you have other than the 90 degree angle. You dont even need the angle. Its a ratio of sides. All sin cos tan mean is take a ratio of two sides of a right triangle. When the Greeks kept drawing these things without knowing the exact angle, they could still make a ratio by measuring the sides using the radius of a circle being the hypotenuse. And one of the sides being equal to the hypotenuse when you got to pi/2, pi, 3/2 pi and 2 pi. The Greeks noticed these numbers repeated a pattern and made many tables which became really good. Before we had calculators, kids in school used tables that got close enough.

The degree thing is totally made up. It could be 100 degrees, 200 degrees, 300 degrees, 400 degrees. Its just that 360 has by common agreement to be the number of degrees of a circle. Its from navigation I think and has no real meaning, it just agreed upon for communication. Radians have real meaning in reference to a circle.

All math ideas can get very difficult if you play with it and do enough "what if I do this now". Algebra CAN become a total mess. Very difficult. The greeks played brain games with circles and triangles. It was fun for some of them. They apparently really liked to play around with geometry and some of it became of practical use of course. People get bored with everything being a red ball. They want green pyramids, and blue squares. And then mix the colors and shapes up. Yeah?

the sine / cosine / tangent / secant / cosecant / cotangent stuff is like a bad high school ex girlfriend experience that I never want brought up again. Like, worst sex of my life bad. Thank you.

SpursforSix
04-09-2022, 10:34 PM
You had a cool question.

And it blossomed for me personally.
I did not major in physics, I dont work with physics, I just love the problems and the ideas.
It is the most refreshing science subject imo as it starts out with very simple suppositions and just gets bigger.
You dont have to deal with near as many variables like chemistry and biology have. Which is why people think it is difficult, because its so simple we can describe it with math. But absolutely the math gets difficult.

You asked a neat question. I blabbered on. Im still thinking about waves moving back and forth through the cylinder endlessly if bond "stretching" releases zero energy.

And I wish I had your teacher.

I think the first thing that really impacted me from that teacher was his explaining that the force of gravity was not impacted by other forces. So if you shot a gun (on a perfectly perpendicular to the ground), the bullet would hit the ground at same as a dropped bullet. There was an experiment to prove it but it was kind of sloppy. Anyway, those kinds of little things really made it interesting to me. Also random shit like two points on a clock hand. They may have the same rpm’s but depending on the radius, one point may be moving at several times the speed. It’s just kind of cool to me when you apply that to a baseball pitcher or golf player.
It

pgardn
04-09-2022, 10:46 PM
the sine / cosine / tangent / secant / cosecant / cotangent stuff is like a bad high school ex girlfriend experience that I never want brought up again. Like, worst sex of my life bad. Thank you.

I agree those names look very weird in math when you are used to seeing nice algebra symbols or nice simple geometry stuff that makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKbDnsZUV2I

stop at 25 seconds. This makes sense to me because I understand that the y part of the graph is just a ratio. And the x part of the graph is the changing angle or position on the circle (radians) and it makes a wave. And the wave actually describes some physical phenomena like a spring going back and forth constantly. Thats it. A math equation that fits a physical pattern in "real life"

I just learned they were ratios and the rest kind of stuck when I saw the unit circle with a radius and a triangle as a part of it. When you keep making triangles and go around in a circle continuously it creates a table of numbers (ratios), that when graphed, make a wave pattern. The play that mathematicians do with all the trig identities and such is just like an artist who is tired of drawing the same old thing. I see they love what they are doing, they are making music that the real artists love and leave the rest of us saying wtf was that... I guess its like me trying to listen to jazz. Its so unstructured and scattered... it just bugs the shit out of me.

Except I heard one of my Dad's old songs that had a group named Steely Dan and was told it was kind of jazzish and I did like it. Maybe if I knew music better I could appreciate jazz. But, I cant. Artists who are really good at something other people enjoy can go off kilter and just get bored and make an album they like but their fans hate, because the fans like the original recipe. So they go back to the original recipe and people say the are selling out and such. I would just quit and just play stuff I liked and not worry if other people liked it. Assuming I was talented and rich which fortunately I am not. I appreciate the struggle of being common and not noticed. But if I find someone who likes something I do, I like to know why and how much they like it.

So F trig... I guess.
Its all good.

pgardn
04-09-2022, 10:58 PM
I think the first thing that really impacted me from that teacher was his explaining that the force of gravity was not impacted by other forces. So if you shot a gun (on a perfectly perpendicular to the ground), the bullet would hit the ground at same as a dropped bullet. There was an experiment to prove it but it was kind of sloppy. Anyway, those kinds of little things really made it interesting to me. Also random shit like two points on a clock hand. They may have the same rpm’s but depending on the radius, one point may be moving at several times the speed. It’s just kind of cool to me when you apply that to a baseball pitcher or golf player.
It

Hell yes thats cool. The clock thing is as well.

So I would then think so if you are the driver of a car and make a left hand turn you are actually moving slower than the passenger sitting to your right. And that is cool. Some people want to hide beneath the covers and shiver when they learn this. I like it. I want things to be bigger than me. Outside of my reach but I can occasionally have a little present I can understand. Or think about. The space stuff and the universe having nothing beyond it from a science point of view is actually comforting. Being God or a God, would, if anything like that exists, be totally terrifying. imho in my human opinion.

Millennial_Messiah
04-10-2022, 12:27 AM
I agree those names look very weird in math when you are used to seeing nice algebra symbols or nice simple geometry stuff that makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKbDnsZUV2I

stop at 25 seconds. This makes sense to me because I understand that the y part of the graph is just a ratio. And the x part of the graph is the changing angle or position on the circle (radians) and it makes a wave. And the wave actually describes some physical phenomena like a spring going back and forth constantly. Thats it. A math equation that fits a physical pattern in "real life"

I just learned they were ratios and the rest kind of stuck when I saw the unit circle with a radius and a triangle as a part of it. When you keep making triangles and go around in a circle continuously it creates a table of numbers (ratios), that when graphed, make a wave pattern. The play that mathematicians do with all the trig identities and such is just like an artist who is tired of drawing the same old thing. I see they love what they are doing, they are making music that the real artists love and leave the rest of us saying wtf was that... I guess its like me trying to listen to jazz. Its so unstructured and scattered... it just bugs the shit out of me.

Except I heard one of my Dad's old songs that had a group named Steely Dan and was told it was kind of jazzish and I did like it. Maybe if I knew music better I could appreciate jazz. But, I cant. Artists who are really good at something other people enjoy can go off kilter and just get bored and make an album they like but their fans hate, because the fans like the original recipe. So they go back to the original recipe and people say the are selling out and such. I would just quit and just play stuff I liked and not worry if other people liked it. Assuming I was talented and rich which fortunately I am not. I appreciate the struggle of being common and not noticed. But if I find someone who likes something I do, I like to know why and how much they like it.

So F trig... I guess.
Its all good.

You're smarter at that than me, no doubt. I bet I'm smarter than you at statistics, data science, hypothesis testing, z-, t- and p-values, probability k-means, neural nets/decision trees/markov models, time series, regression, et al. Just different skillset for different person. Appreciate your read though.

pgardn
04-10-2022, 09:12 AM
You're smarter at that than me, no doubt. I bet I'm smarter than you at statistics, data science, hypothesis testing, z-, t- and p-values, probability k-means, neural nets/decision trees/markov models, time series, regression, et al. Just different skillset for different person. Appreciate your read though.

Im not smart, I’m curious.

I love stats. There is a very good read on how the Chi square method was created.
And from the chi method a bunch of modern stats arose. Imo it makes perfect sense and is beautiful. Then comes the decision on how accurate you wish to be which is sometimes arbitrary depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Stats is not airyfairy like some math gets. It’s straightforward and incredibly useful. It’s absolutely essential with the huge amount of data that is gathered.

Millennial_Messiah
04-10-2022, 05:33 PM
Im not smart, I’m curious.

I love stats. There is a very good read on how the Chi square method was created.
And from the chi method a bunch of modern stats arose. Imo it makes perfect sense and is beautiful. Then comes the decision on how accurate you wish to be which is sometimes arbitrary depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Stats is not airyfairy like some math gets. It’s straightforward and incredibly useful. It’s absolutely essential with the huge amount of data that is gathered.
:bobo