PDA

View Full Version : The Power Forward position

DAF86
04-06-2022, 05:20 PM
The big gaping hole in our lineup. How do we solve it? I'm having a really hard time thinking of plausible options for next season.

What are you preferred names? Post them here. Whether it is a free agent, a trade target or a draft prospect.

KingKev
04-06-2022, 05:47 PM
The big gaping hole in our lineup. How do we solve it? I'm having a really hard time thinking of plausible options for next season.

What are you preferred names? Post them here. Whether it is a free agent, a trade target or a draft prospect.

According some Primo will grow 2-3 more inches!! It’s going to be luck in the draft or we consolidate assets for one in a trade. Keldon needs to play the 3 though. MoLovin should be salary dumped with a couple of seconds.

mo7888
04-06-2022, 05:54 PM
I think we should target 2 players for the 4. One should be a FA or trade target (preferably on a 3 year deal or less). The other should be from the draft. It's hard to say who until we know the draft position but, we all know the names at the top if we get a fortuitous selection but, if we don't, someone like Eason, PBJ, or Jovic would be a good pickup to work in off the bench and develop while our trade target starts for a couple years.

TD 21
04-06-2022, 05:54 PM
Been over most of this in other threads, but here's the names I see as most likely to be attainable for what I suspect the Spurs could deem expendable . . .

Collins: For Spurs 1st, either Raptors/Celtics 1st, Richardson

Washington: With Jones and Hornets 1st for Poeltl, either Raptors/Celtics 1st

Hachimura: For Spurs 1st

Murray: Unless team picking at 5 or 6 prefers Poeltl, would require Hornets trade, with Washington rerouted along with Spurs 1st and either Raptors/Celtics 1st.

BatManu20
04-06-2022, 06:02 PM
Tari Eason, Jeremy Sochan, or EJ Liddell will be our 1st Pick in this year’s draft.

Pretty confident in that.

Leetonidas
04-06-2022, 06:07 PM
The free agent market is pretty poor this year for PFs. Maybe take a look at Jalen Smith since he'll be a UFA. Kyle Anderson maybe? :lol

BatManu20
04-06-2022, 06:09 PM
The free agent market is pretty poor this year for PFs. Maybe take a look at Jalen Smith since he'll be a UFA. Kyle Anderson maybe? :lol

I hear LaMarcus Aldridge is a free agent.

BatManu20
04-06-2022, 06:10 PM
Also we joke about it but I bet the Spurs are seriously interested in bringing Fat head back unfortunately.

Mr. Body
04-06-2022, 07:07 PM
Draft one and just develop him. I don't see an big trades or FA signings - don't see spending a lot of money. We've also been seeing those sets with Landale as a PF that will continue to be a stopgap next year.

Ariel
04-06-2022, 07:10 PM
Tari Eason, Jeremy Sochan, or EJ Liddell will be our 1st Pick in this year’s draft.

Pretty confident in that.
I'm hoping for that too... I even think we might get two of them, either Eason or Sochan with the first (provided we don't luck into the top 4), and Liddell (with the Raptors pick) might be doable.

spurraider21
04-06-2022, 07:44 PM

davis "future all-star" bertans tbh :lol

PhantomDashCam
04-06-2022, 07:59 PM
A chance to beat this drum again..

If our pick falls outside the top 4 (more than likely), I’d be happy to offer it to Charlotte in exchange for Kai Jones.

They already have Miles Bridges(FA), P.J Washington (1 year left) and JT Thor (he was the one getting the Big Club call ups) to play the 4 and probably consider Kai more of a 5 anyhow.

Split
Team
GP
GS
MIN
PTS
FGM
FGA
FG%
3PM
3PA
3P%
FTM
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF

Games As Starter
GBO (https://basketball.realgm.com/dleague/teams/Greensboro-Swarm/45/Rosters/2022)

I’d argue he has as much talent as anybody in this draft. Turned 21 in January…

mo7888
04-06-2022, 08:01 PM

If our pick falls outside the top 4 (more than likely), I’d be happy to offer it to Charlotte in exchange for Kai Jones.

They already have Miles Bridges(FA), P.J Washington (1 year left) and JT Thor (he was the one getting the Big Club call ups) to play the 4 and probably consider Kai more of a 5 anyhow.

Split
Team
GP
GS
MIN
PTS
FGM
FGA
FG%
3PM
3PA
3P%
FTM
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF

Games As Starter
GBO (https://basketball.realgm.com/dleague/teams/Greensboro-Swarm/45/Rosters/2022)

A top 10 pick for Kai Jones.... no thank you... maybe our Lakers 2nd but no more than that..

Kurik
04-06-2022, 08:05 PM

Split
Team
GP
GS
MIN
PTS
FGM
FGA
FG%
3PM
3PA
3P%
FTM
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF

Games As Starter

Eason is so much better and it’s not close.

BacktoBasics
04-06-2022, 08:24 PM

Split
Team
GP
GS
MIN
PTS
FGM
FGA
FG%
3PM
3PA
3P%
FTM
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF

Games As Starter

That’s giving too much. I have no issue with a late 1st(our last pick) and future 2nd but there’s no reason to give up our top 1st.

GAustex
04-06-2022, 08:48 PM
That Duke PF would be nice but I guess he is gone before Spurs pick so

Robz4000
04-06-2022, 08:55 PM
Also we joke about it but I bet the Spurs are seriously interested in bringing Fat head back unfortunately.

Predicted this two months or so ago. It's gonna happen tbh.

BackHome
04-06-2022, 09:06 PM
The PF and SF position is just so weak in this draft

PhantomDashCam
04-06-2022, 09:08 PM
A top 10 pick for Kai Jones.... no thank you... maybe our Lakers 2nd but no more than that..

I’m not sure I understand. Why would Charlotte be interested in trading him for a second rounder? They gave up a future first to grab him…
So after a year of solid G-League play, you think he’s actually hurt his value??

SPURt
04-06-2022, 09:13 PM
Chris Boucher and Jalen Smith are the only UFAs I think look interesting. They’re younger and could grow with this you g team. The draft and free agent class this year doesn’t look great. I look forward to see what the Spurs do.

PhantomDashCam
04-06-2022, 09:32 PM
Eason is so much better and it’s not close.

I like Eason. Not sure what data you’re using to suggest that though. He was certainly better statistically in his 2nd year at LSU compared to Kai’s at Texas. Weird thing is, Eason is only 4 months younger…
Who do you think objectively has more upside?

Allan Rowe vs Wade
04-06-2022, 09:33 PM

more likely to fill the power bottom position first tbh

mo7888
04-06-2022, 09:43 PM
I’m not sure I understand. Why would Charlotte be interested in trading him for a second rounder? They gave up a future first to grab him…
So after a year of solid G-League play, you think he’s actually hurt his value??

They probably wouldn't but, we shouldn't offer more unless there's more coming back...

poopbox
04-06-2022, 09:51 PM
Chris Boucher and Jalen Smith are the only UFAs I think look interesting. They’re younger and could grow with this you g team. The draft and free agent class this year doesn’t look great. I look forward to see what the Spurs do.

Boucher if the contract is right would be fine for me.

I think Collins is the ideal. I think we are stockpiling 1st to trade them in for something, and I think the spurs are hoping Collins is the something.

RC_Drunkford
04-06-2022, 09:56 PM
via trade:

John Collins - best fit in my opinion, although Spurs don't seem interested
Jerami Grant - great fit, wants close to max money on his next contract, hard pass

RFA:

Miles Bridges - too small, but can do everything that we need and averages 0.8 blocks, would be a nice fit
Jalen Smith - promising, but not starter material yet if you ask me

Draft:

Banchero - probably gone when we are picking
Smith - "
Murray - "
Eason - needs development

the problem is we need somebody who's a very complete player. Good rebounder, can guard big forwards, secondary shotblocker, reliable 3-point shooter, fits into a high pace transition offense.

I really don't see how they will fix this and totally expect Keldon to start at PF or them getting Kyle Anderson back. I just hope for the best tbh

Kurik
04-06-2022, 09:58 PM
I like Eason. Not sure what data you’re using to suggest that though. He was certainly better statistically in his 2nd year at LSU compared to Kai’s at Texas. Weird thing is, Eason is only 4 months younger…

Besides all the advanced metrics, just takes a couple videos to see how their skill levels differ. One has versatility that would just fit better with what the Spurs lack as well, especially on the defensive side.

exstatic
04-06-2022, 10:04 PM

Split
Team
GP
GS
MIN
PTS
FGM
FGA
FG%
3PM
3PA
3P%
FTM
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF

Games As Starter

Be honest, and state that those are gleague numbers.

Jalen is 22, and puts up nearly as good numbers in the NBA, shoots the 3 ball at 37% in 22 rotation games with Indy and won’t cost us a pick.

PhantomDashCam
04-06-2022, 10:39 PM
Be honest, and state that those are gleague numbers.

Jalen is 22, and puts up nearly as good numbers in the NBA, shoots the 3 ball at 37% in 22 rotation games with Indy and won’t cost us a pick.

Not trying to hoodwink anybody. Sorry if you fell victim to it... (Although not sure there are any teams in the NBA titled GBO and I did cite JT's big League call-up).

I don't believe Jalen is a 4. I don't think he can guard effectively on the perimeter which would obviously be a requirement long term at that position.

Not sure why you'd have reservations giving up a pick when the Spurs would theoretically have 3 more in the draft...

If the draft considerably flattens after pick 4, then even more so after 11-12; why wouldn't you trade for a player that fits the teams current style of play, has considerable upside and is on potentially a better contract than what Jalen may command?
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of asset acquisition/draft capital as much as the next guy but they're simply that...ideas, potential. It's all perceived value and can easily dissipate if not utilized correctly.

Boston understands this now better than anybody after Brad Stevens went from the recipient of tantalizing draft pick additions orchestrated by Ainge (that amounted to very little it must be said, unless they're top 3), to happily wheeling and dealing as new GM to obtain players who are proven or fill a need.

I'm not saying Kai's proven, yet, but he's further ahead than most would like to admit and thus his value is not what it was when a rumored trade was discussed back in Feb.
You need to give up more.

scott
04-07-2022, 12:53 AM
A lottery pick for fucking Kai Jones? What the fuck am I reading?

R. DeMurre
04-07-2022, 01:42 AM
Doc Rivers strangely doesn't seem to like Paul Reed much, and his contract is non-guaranteed. 22 years old, versatile, G League MVP. I'd love to see the Spurs target him.

With Siakam, Scottie Barnes, Achiuwa, OG, and Khem Birch under contract, seems like Chris Boucher might be the odd man out in Toronto. Hard to say. But I like him, he's a FA, and he's solid as a 20+ mpg guy.

Jalen Smith. Worth a flier at a reasonable price.

None of these guys are world-beaters, but all might fill the gap in the short term and/or potentially be good bench guys later, in addition to being easy to trade.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-07-2022, 05:12 AM
I like the idea of trading one of Tor/Bos picks + something else to Sacramento for Harrison Barnes and drafting a back up 4, maybe Sochan if they believe in his shot, as understudy. He's not great but it seems realistic.

They could also overpay Bobby Portis to pry him away from Bucks, but we all know he has a history of doing crazy things and Pop might not be up for dealing with someone like him. He's also more of a 5 these days, like most other players suggested in this thread. It doesn't seem like the Spurs are looking for that kind of a 4/5, which is why I believe someone like Barnes would fit much better.

Chinook
04-07-2022, 07:30 AM

Upside is basically a worthless measurement, because it overvalues being tall and able to dribble. It makes more sense to me to talk about who would have a better improvement roadmap -- meaning who is more likely to reach certain levels of upside after given periods of time. I have little problem thinking Eason is going to be more useful for more time than Jones. Kai has okay but not very good d-league numbers. He's doing what any NBA prospect given developmental priority would do. I'm not saying Charlotte should give him away, but the book hasn't really changed on him yet.

To the OP, I think people should accept that Keldon is the PF the team wants. We're probably going to go through another year of fans talking themselves into thinking he's playing "out of position" out of necessity, even though this thread is a testament to the availability of alternatives.

That said, I do want them to pursue a forward who can at least cross-guard PFs so Johnson still works but ideally becomes the new starting SF if Johnson doesn't improve enough to prevent himself from being a bench player while the team pursues a scoring PF in free agency. I think there are some guys like Eason, Baldwin and even Murray (I think his age is going to make him fall) that the Spurs can take.

flox
04-07-2022, 08:06 AM
Is Jalen Smith really restricted? I thought Suns didn't tender him, so the Pacers don't have RFA rights.

tbdog
04-07-2022, 08:40 AM
You guys don't think spurs will target Myles Turner. Poeltl and picks.

I also see Richardson on the spurs roster coming off the bench with McDermott.

Dverde
04-07-2022, 08:41 AM
Any chance Spurs buy low on Julius Randle? Maybe the Spurs therapist can help that dude. He looks like he’s about to snap like Will Smith yelling at Chris Rock from his chair. He’s only 27 years old…

exstatic
04-07-2022, 08:52 AM
Is Jalen Smith really restricted? I thought Suns didn't tender him, so the Pacers don't have RFA rights.

Unrestricted, and yes, Indy is bound by the same restrictions that Phoenix was. They can only pay him what his team option that was declined would have been, like $4.7M. Their cap room is immaterial, as it is a CBA issue.

The Truth #6
04-07-2022, 10:50 AM
Upside is basically a worthless measurement, because it overvalues being tall and able to dribble. It makes more sense to me to talk about who would have a better improvement roadmap -- meaning who is more likely to reach certain levels of upside after given periods of time. I have little problem thinking Eason is going to be more useful for more time than Jones. Kai has okay but not very good d-league numbers. He's doing what any NBA prospect given developmental priority would do. I'm not saying Charlotte should give him away, but the book hasn't really changed on him yet.

To the OP, I think people should accept that Keldon is the PF the team wants. We're probably going to go through another year of fans talking themselves into thinking he's playing "out of position" out of necessity, even though this thread is a testament to the availability of alternatives.

That said, I do want them to pursue a forward who can at least cross-guard PFs so Johnson still works but ideally becomes the new starting SF if Johnson doesn't improve enough to prevent himself from being a bench player while the team pursues a scoring PF in free agency. I think there are some guys like Eason, Baldwin and even Murray (I think his age is going to make him fall) that the Spurs can take.

I hope that's not the case. I have some confidence that Brian Wright can at least recognize the challenges in playing Keldon as PF. But we'll see. In the draft, we may end up with small forwards and a center. It's hard to predict.

Edit: On second thought, if we think the Yak trade rumor was true, then that strongly suggests they want to add more bigs, with Kai as a flyer for Center and PJ Washington as power forward. But it's all speculation...

paperboy77
04-07-2022, 12:55 PM
Anyway we can get Jonathan Isaacs from Orlando? Been injured a lot and might be an afterthought with the Magic. Send them picks plus Lonnie? Would take care of any issues we have at this spot.

KingKev
04-07-2022, 01:11 PM
Anyway we can get Jonathan Isaacs from Orlando? Been injured a lot and might be an afterthought with the Magic. Send them picks plus Lonnie? Would take care of any issues we have at this spot.

Risky business. First year of 4/75mm or so coming off multiple surgeries and has also been noisy regarding politics.

PhantomDashCam
04-07-2022, 02:18 PM

Josh Primo - Given G league priority - his numbers:

Split
Team
GP
GS
MIN
PTS
FGM
FGA
FG%
3PM
3PA
3P%
FTM
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF

G League Regular Season Stats
AUS (https://basketball.realgm.com/dleague/teams/Austin-Spurs/9/Rosters/2022)

Tari Eason scouting report excerpt from ESPN:

Eason's passing ability, decision-making and still-streaky jumper are question marks scouts will want to gather more information about in the NCAA tournament, as he sees most of his minutes at center but isn't particularly big or bulky at 6-foot-8 and 216 pounds...

Seeing most of his minutes at center, despite standing 6-8, Eason is a true mismatch at the college level, being simply too fast for slower big men to contain off the dribble, and too aggressive for wings to handle in the paint...

So questions about whether he is a Wing or C at 6-8 don’t concern you? He has a very slow release on his jumper and if he does become a wing, that thing will need some adjustment.

Both Kai and Tari are relatively raw prospects but now Kai has at least performed/improved at another level of competition after college.

Cardinal
04-07-2022, 02:18 PM
What about EJ Liddell? He will surely be around for one of the team’s picks in the latter half of the first round. Heady player, improving shooter, tough on D. He’s a bit undersized but better size than Keldon for the PF spot. Shades of Paul Millsap in my opinion.

The Truth #6
04-07-2022, 02:24 PM
What about EJ Liddell? He will surely be around for one of the team’s picks in the latter half of the first round. Heady player, improving shooter, tough on D. He’s a bit undersized but better size than Keldon for the PF spot. Shades of Paul Millsap in my opinion.

I'd love to be able to get EJ with out second FRP. Seems like a no brainer to me after we target a shooting guard with our first pick. Ha.

John B
04-07-2022, 03:19 PM
It seems likely that the gaping hole is in the PF position. But if DJM, Vassell and Keldon can continue to improve at 1,2 and 3 (Keldon at SF preferably). And even Poeltl can consistently put 12 and 8 and hit his FT at above 60%, plus J-Rich, Collins and Co can contribute some from the bench, that PF position becomes someone who can just play rim protection and occasionally shoot outside, an stretch 4 with D. Not necessarily an offensive force, but someone who can help Poeltl plug the hole. I’ve come to accept that the PATFO will not splurge on any big FA signup this off-season, much to disappointment of many of the posters here, not even the sought-after high draft pick. Maybe we get a Jalen Smith and maybe we get lucky 1-out-of-4 at the draft.

Chinook
04-07-2022, 03:27 PM
Josh Primo - Given G league priority - his numbers:

Split
Team
GP
GS
MIN
PTS
FGM
FGA
FG%
3PM
3PA
3P%
FTM
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF

G League Regular Season Stats
AUS (https://basketball.realgm.com/dleague/teams/Austin-Spurs/9/Rosters/2022)

Tari Eason scouting report excerpt from ESPN:

So questions about whether he is a Wing or C at 6-8 don’t concern you? He has a very slow release on his jumper and if he does become a wing, that thing will need some adjustment.

Both Kai and Tari are relatively raw prospects but now Kai has at least performed/improved at another level of competition after college.

Did you post Primo's stats to support what I said? They certainly look similar. I am not a huge fan of the d-league redshirt season, so I don't put stock into either player's performance there. There's not a player on the Spurs who wouldn't dominate as the Toro's focal point.

I don't know why you think saying Eason has questions hurts his stock. Unlike Jones, Eason hasn't had professional coaching or even time to see if he can respond to NBA opponents. What seems good and weak are just guesses. Eason has been a game changing defender with a burgeoning offensive game. That's a much better foundation than just being tall and have some floor game. There's a reason why PFs have such a high bust rate. It's because people keep falling in love with the physical tools and just assume they can teach the to play basketball. In a league as marginal as the NBA, that's usually a bridge too far.

Kevin
04-07-2022, 03:33 PM
Eason wouldn't be a bad pick. He hit his free throws at 80% this season which bodes well that he can develop a three point shot the same way as Keldon.

exstatic
04-07-2022, 03:40 PM
It seems likely that the gaping hole is in the PF position. But if DJM, Vassell and Keldon can continue to improve at 1,2 and 3 (Keldon at SF preferably). And even Poeltl can consistently put 12 and 8 and hit his FT at above 60%, plus J-Rich, Collins and Co can contribute some from the bench, that PF position becomes someone who can just play rim protection and occasionally shoot outside, an stretch 4 with D. Not necessarily an offensive force, but someone who can help Poeltl plug the hole. I’ve come to accept that the PATFO will not splurge on any big FA signup this off-season, much to disappointment of many of the posters here, not even the sought-after high draft pick. Maybe we get a Jalen Smith and maybe we get lucky 1-out-of-4 at the draft.

Yeah, I’m really thinking they’ll do some low to mid level stuff, and rent the rest of the caproom out for assets. No Lavine,no John Collins trade.

I Stan Paul Reed, and have since his draft. Even TaT knew he would be overlooked, but not by how much. They had him at #17 on their Big Board, and #41 in their mock, and he ended up being drafted at 58. Doc never plays him in Philly, so maybe they’d do a LWIV for Reed + filler.

Big Empty
04-07-2022, 04:07 PM
LeBron for a year? Lol

CGD
04-07-2022, 04:21 PM
You guys don't think spurs will target Myles Turner. Poeltl and picks.

I also see Richardson on the spurs roster coming off the bench with McDermott.

He also expires after next year right? Not sure I’d want to give up too much for him if he could be had the year after if they think he’s the “missing piece.”

Leetonidas
04-07-2022, 04:24 PM

Boucher is 29 already, not exactly "younger." Not sure he is a good fit with Jak either considering he's been hoisting six three pointers a game at a 29% clip this season :vomit:

exstatic
04-07-2022, 04:26 PM
Boucher is 29 already, not exactly "younger"

Yeah, I’m not even thrilled with turner being 26, and not knowing our system.

Leetonidas
04-07-2022, 04:28 PM
Any chance Spurs buy low on Julius Randle? Maybe the Spurs therapist can help that dude. He looks like he’s about to snap like Will Smith yelling at Chris Rock from his chair. He’s only 27 years old…

Good god no. This dude is the definition of soft, mental midget. He completely collapsed during their embarrassing playoff performance last year against ATL with homecourt. No thanks. His efficacy has plummeted this year. His numbers look nice in 2021 but then you realize he was playing 38mpg :lol He is also an average to poor defender

His only saving grace is that his contract is somewhat 'reasonable' for today given you have guys making 40+ million a year now. but i'd rather save the cap space for a real game changer. dude has a poor attitude as well

PhantomDashCam
04-07-2022, 04:36 PM
Did you post Primo's stats to support what I said? They certainly look similar. I am not a huge fan of the d-league redshirt season, so I don't put stock into either player's performance there. There's not a player on the Spurs who wouldn't dominate as the Toro's focal point.

I don't know why you think saying Eason has questions hurts his stock. Unlike Jones, Eason hasn't had professional coaching or even time to see if he can respond to NBA opponents. What seems good and weak are just guesses. Eason has been a game changing defender with a burgeoning offensive game. That's a much better foundation than just being tall and have some floor game. There's a reason why PFs have such a high bust rate. It's because people keep falling in love with the physical tools and just assume they can teach the to play basketball. In a league as marginal as the NBA, that's usually a bridge too far.

You think Primo’s stats are impressive?? Look I like the kid but as a primary PG option (which is what he was there, in an admittedly small sample size), I want to see him shoot the ball better than 39% and not turn it over at almost 4 a game.

Tari may not be as raw a prospect coming out of college as Kai but it’s pretty close. There would still need to be considerable teaching required to get him on the floor in the Spurs system.

Kai’s numbers are incredible to me considering how little he gets the ball in the Greensboro system. They have so many shoot first, undersized 2s (think a team of Patty Mills’) it’s pretty incredible his month to month improvement.

Here take this article FWIW:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2954159-every-nba-teams-best-young-prospect

Best young prospect per team - Charlotte Hornets: James Bouknight

Deciding between James Bouknight and Kai Jones is waaay harder than it should be.
Both are rookies. Neither is playing real minutes with the Charlotte Hornets. One was drafted at the end of the lottery (Bouknight.) The other came off the board at No. 19. Default to the lottery pick. End of story.
And yet, Jones has put up video-game numbers in the G League while gauging the full extent of his range from the perimeter. He also fills a more glaring need in the Hornets rotation, both immediately and over the longer haul. This might be their center of the future in training…

DAF86
04-07-2022, 05:01 PM
davis "future all-star" bertans tbh :lol

He would fit like a glove right now, tbh.

John B
04-07-2022, 05:07 PM
He would fit like a glove right now, tbh.

I think those knock-out shooters who are defensive liabilities are best fitted to contenders, who have tier 1, 2 players who would demand double-teams. Spurs don’t really have that type of player, yet.

Chinook
04-07-2022, 05:28 PM
You think Primo’s stats are impressive?? Look I like the kid but as a primary PG option (which is what he was there, in an admittedly small sample size), I want to see him shoot the ball better than 39% and not turn it over at almost 4 a game.

Tari may not be as raw a prospect coming out of college as Kai but it’s pretty close. There would still need to be considerable teaching required to get him on the floor in the Spurs system.

Kai’s numbers are incredible to me considering how little he gets the ball in the Greensboro system. They have so many shoot first, undersized 2s (think a team of Patty Mills’) it’s pretty incredible his month to month improvement.

Here take this article FWIW:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2954159-every-nba-teams-best-young-prospect

No, I think both are mediocre. That's what I've been saying. I don't think Primo's stats are worse like you seem to be implying.

I think Eason and Jones are about the same now that Kai's had a year of professional coaching. Jones wasn't a good college player. Eason is. Just because he has improvement areas doesn't make him a project. You want a good mix of upside and floor. Jones had a low floor and a lower ceiling than many believed. Eason's floor is high and he still has a lot left in terms of ceiling

DAF86
04-07-2022, 05:35 PM
I think those knock-out shooters who are defensive liabilities are best fitted to contenders, who have tier 1, 2 players who would demand double-teams. Spurs don’t really have that type of player, yet.

Bertans isn't a defensive liability though. He can stay with folks on the perimeter and is an underrated off ball rim protector.

RC_Drunkford
04-07-2022, 05:46 PM
Eason wouldn't be a bad pick. He hit his free throws at 80% this season which bodes well that he can develop a three point shot the same way as Keldon.

I wouldn't compare anybody's work ethic to Keldon's tbh. That dude woke up everyday at 4AM bustin his ass in workouts during the offseason and it shows. The only rooks with similar work ethic have been DJ and nephew when he got here. That's very rare.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-07-2022, 05:50 PM
Bertans isn't a defensive liability though. He can stay with folks on the perimeter and is an underrated off ball rim protector.

It's interesting how his playing time went from 29 MPG two years ago to 14 or so now. I don't really follow him too closely these days. Is the drop-off due to injury, or has he not lived up to expectations? A great shooter who's supposedly not a defensive liability, with his height, seems like someone who'd be playing more minutes.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-07-2022, 05:54 PM
LeBron for a year? Lol

It's funny you say that because I've wondered if he's going to try to bolt from that debacle of a team he's created in LA.

Mr. Body
04-07-2022, 06:02 PM
It's interesting how his playing time went from 29 MPG two years ago to 14 or so now. I don't really follow him too closely these days. Is the drop-off due to injury, or has he not lived up to expectations? A great shooter who's supposedly not a defensive liability, with his height, seems like someone who'd be playing more minutes.

He's not a good shooter anymore and doesn't do anything else. And he's a defensive liability.

BackHome
04-07-2022, 06:07 PM

He was just a terrible rebounder though

Gagnrath
04-07-2022, 06:22 PM
So at 6'11" and built in college Durens seems like he's being groomed to be a center but he has some face-up game has anyone seen if he has enough speed to reasonably play PF next to Poetle?

Mr. Body
04-07-2022, 06:30 PM
So at 6'11" and built in college Durens seems like he's being groomed to be a center but he has some face-up game has anyone seen if he has enough speed to reasonably play PF next to Poetle?

He seems like a straight-up center. He's also likely smaller than listed.

PhantomDashCam
04-07-2022, 06:59 PM
Is Josh Primo a Spur??

I am not a huge fan of the d-league redshirt season, so I don't put stock into either player's performance there. There's not a player on the Spurs who wouldn't dominate as the Toro's focal point.

No, I think both are mediocre. That's what I've been saying.

https://c.tenor.com/7QhoA9wcstgAAAAC/confused-no.gif

:lol

Without getting Eason involved, my point was I’d do Kai for our 1st (if not top 4) straight up. I’m clearly in the minority. I’m cool with that. Watch some of the games Chinook, not just the boxscore, highlights and advanced stats.

The Truth #6
04-07-2022, 07:02 PM
Duren would have to be a center from what I've seen. I can't tell how skilled he is, on offense at least. Meaning, is he completely unskilled or does he have very brief glimpses of something more because I haven't seen much. I kind of think he's overrated as far as being a top 7 pick. Hoping for Bam seems unrealistic but I'm open to being convinced otherwise.

spurraider21
04-07-2022, 07:09 PM
let this one go, scrah :lol

SPURt
04-07-2022, 08:02 PM
Boucher is 29 already, not exactly "younger." Not sure he is a good fit with Jak either considering he's been hoisting six three pointers a game at a 29% clip this season :vomit:
Dang, I thought Boucher was younger. Welp, I guess Smith it is

The Truth #6
04-07-2022, 08:59 PM
Spurs Talk Guide to Interpreting G-League Stats

If they are doing poorly but you like the player. See #3
If they are doing well but you don't like the player. See #2
If they are doing poorly and you dislike the player. See #4
If they are doing well and you like the player. See #1

1. Dude, he's ripping it up! He's going to be awesome. Heard it here first.
2. Whatever. My grandmother get could a triple double in the G-League.
3. It's foolish to read too much into the stats. Counting stats without context. :lmao He's young. Give him time. This is his first time to get professional coaching.
4. He's supposed to our next star? Fucking bust! His growth plates are probably sealed shut.

mo7888
04-07-2022, 09:15 PM
Duren would have to be a center from what I've seen. I can't tell how skilled he is, on offense at least. Meaning, is he completely unskilled or does he have very brief glimpses of something more because I haven't seen much. I kind of think he's overrated as far as being a top 7 pick. Hoping for Bam seems unrealistic but I'm open to being convinced otherwise.

I have to squint but I can see some of the Bam comparisons... but, it's the college Bam and not the one we see now... Duren doesn't look like he has a broken shot or anything and he's Uber athletic... he's got a chance to develop a face up game with range but, I don't think anyone should just expect it to happen...

Biggems
04-07-2022, 10:15 PM
Ever since Timmy retired the PF position has been eradicated from the NBA

scott
04-07-2022, 10:21 PM
"Let's trade a lottery pick for a G-leaguer who can't break into his team despite the need" is this spring's hottest new "we made a mistake by trading Luka because he is tearing it up in the G league but can't break into his team despite the need"

PhantomDashCam
04-07-2022, 11:23 PM
"Let's trade a lottery pick for a G-leaguer who can't break into his team despite the need" is this spring's hottest new "we made a mistake by trading Luka because he is tearing it up in the G league but can't break into his team despite the need"

It was one guy, (me), suggesting this. Your opinion is firmly against it, like seemingly everybody who has read/posted here. Cool.

Considering you've gotten worked up over one trade suggestion, in a thread titled "The Power Forward position", without offering an insight or perspective of your own, is hilarious.

I'm not the GM bud. It'll be OK. Most likely it won't happen. :tu

Ditty
04-07-2022, 11:27 PM
Jovic in the draft.

BackHome
04-07-2022, 11:30 PM
Draft and stash

Mr. Body
04-07-2022, 11:31 PM
Minny were killing us on the boards. Need some help badly.

R. DeMurre
04-07-2022, 11:53 PM
Unfortunately, I think the Spurs have just run into a case of bad luck, having money to spend this summer but few great targets, especially at PF. Big picture though, it's not a huge deal. It's not like they're competing for a championship next year. If the Spurs win 43 games next year, I'll be thrilled.

BackHome
04-08-2022, 01:00 AM
You know we been pretty lucky have players banged up but for the most part have avoided major injuries- As far as next year I see pretty much see a rinse and repeat unless a major injury to one of our starters then possibly a top 5 pick

Gagnrath
04-08-2022, 01:41 AM
Jovic in the draft.

Like jovic but it's going to be 2025 before he can be counted on to contribute.

JPB
04-08-2022, 03:55 AM
You know we been pretty lucky have players banged up but for the most part have avoided major injuries- As far as next year I see pretty much see a rinse and repeat unless a major injury to one of our starters then possibly a top 5 pick

Allow me to disagree. Those last 10 games or so have have shown some clear promises as far as players development and team global improvement. They've notably beaten GS, Utah and Denver, and lost closes games vs. Minny and Memphis.

There's a core of young players who have gained confidence and will necessarily continue to improve next year. Add to that 3 FRPs plus cap and I have no doubt SA will be better next year.

donaldsonian
04-08-2022, 04:00 AM
If the bridge hasn’t been burned completely it might be worth inviting Samanic back to next year’s training camp…

exstatic
04-08-2022, 07:45 AM

That’s almost anyone we draft. Year 3 seems to be the breakout.

Chinook
04-08-2022, 08:04 AM
Is Josh Primo a Spur??

:lol

Without getting Eason involved, my point was I’d do Kai for our 1st (if not top 4) straight up. I’m clearly in the minority. I’m cool with that. Watch some of the games Chinook, not just the boxscore, highlights and advanced stats.

This isn't confusing, man. I don't think Primo and Jones have different statlines, and I think any Spur would do as well or better. Jones doesn't look good, he just looks like he should. He's a guy drafted into the NBA playing against guys who weren't good enough to be in the NBA, while also getting developmental priority. There's a reason why guys like Forbes and Eubanks looks awesome in Austin.

I wouldn't trade anything except maybe the Boston or Lakers pick for him. Anyone the Spurs draft would likely be able to go into Austin and play as well as Jones did this year, while also having and additional developmental year. It doesn't have to be Eason.

Atl Spur
04-08-2022, 08:31 AM

Sounds about right…. He’s not needed anytime soon! Roster spots and cap space is important to consider.

Ariel
04-08-2022, 11:08 AM
Sounds about right…. He’s not needed anytime soon! Roster spots and cap space is important to consider.
Yup. It's unlikely the FO is willing to take on 3 first round rookie contracts and that there are actually 3 players available that they like. So Jovic at 20 something would be a pretty good way out, since he's VERY young, talented, and at a position in demand... you let him develop a couple of years, and if it pans out it's jackpot, if not you trade his rights away. But I have my doubts he'd be available by the Toronto pick, since I believe the mocks may be going more by the NCAA hype than actual Front Offices (Oklahoma, Houston, Minnesota, Denver, etc...) will. It's either that or moving up using a combination of Toronto, Boston and Lakers' picks plus whatever to get into the late lottery and try and snatch Sochan. Coming away from the draft with Eason + Sochan (unless we draft top 4) would be a very successful scenario IMO, since they're both versatile enough to address our needs without causing a logjam.

DAF86
04-08-2022, 11:12 AM

He's a sharpshooter hitting 34% from 3. That's pretty much it.

DAF86
04-08-2022, 11:16 AM
let this one go, scrah :lol

I let it go a long time ago. He's not a defensive liability though. He's not a McDermott.

Kurik
04-08-2022, 11:48 AM
Does anyone know the contract situation for Jovic? I wonder if he would be open to staying overseas for another year or is that just unrealistic this day and age.

Ariel
04-08-2022, 11:56 AM
Does anyone know the contract situation for Jovic? I wonder if he would be open to staying overseas for another year or is that just unrealistic this day and age.
https://www.bcmegabasket.net/en/2021/06/10/nikola-jovic-potpisao-prvi-profesionalni-ugovor-sa-megom/

signed a multi-year contract with Mega.

I look forward to continuing my development at my Mega Club
Seems like he signed a contract for multiple years just one year ago. Does not give details regarding length, but nowadays there's always some buyout clause. He seemed content and focused on developing there, but that quote is one year old. Given that he's not yet 19, I would think it shouldn't be a problem leaving him there one more year.

spurraider21
04-08-2022, 12:10 PM
I let it go a long time ago. He's not a defensive liability though. He's not a McDermott.
he is tho. the occasional weakside block doesnt change that

Kurik
04-08-2022, 01:11 PM
https://www.bcmegabasket.net/en/2021/06/10/nikola-jovic-potpisao-prvi-profesionalni-ugovor-sa-megom/

Seems like he signed a contract for multiple years just one year ago. Does not give details regarding length, but nowadays there's always some buyout clause. He seemed content and focused on developing there, but that quote is one year old. Given that he's not yet 19, I would think it shouldn't be a problem leaving him there one more year.

Thanks for the info, I’m definitely a fan of leaving him there for 1 year if the Spurs don’t like potential trade options.

BacktoBasics
04-08-2022, 01:30 PM
They certainly don’t have to package these pics to move up in the draft. I have no issue if they want to put any combination of 2 out of 3 of our pics to trade for a player that moves the needle. Even if he’s just north of our age timeline. This team could really make some noise with 1 additional impactful player. I have no issue with eating up cap space for the right trade.

wildbill2u
04-08-2022, 02:22 PM
I'm not a draft guru. Don't have the time or patience to do the research. But I really liked what I saw of Brady Manek in the Final against the Kansas team. Manek produced 13 points (4-8 FG, 3-6 3Pt, 2-2 FT), 13 rebounds and four blocks in 36 minutes during Monday's 72-69 loss to Kansas.ANALYSIS
Manek was the only Tar Heel player to record multiple three-point baskets in a contest that also saw the fifth-year senior post his season-best rebounding total. His lone season with the Tar Heels has been the best in a variety of ways, as he finished the year on a streak of 19 straight games in double figures en route to a career-high 15.1 ppg average. Manek has also posted career bests in shooting percentage (49.3) and three-point percentage (40.3).

In addition, the guy has some swagger and fight in him. Could we draft him? Is he in our range?

exstatic
04-08-2022, 02:26 PM
I'm not a draft guru. Don't have the time or patience to do the research. But I really liked what I saw of Brady Manek in the Final against the Kansas team. Manek produced 13 points (4-8 FG, 3-6 3Pt, 2-2 FT), 13 rebounds and four blocks in 36 minutes during Monday's 72-69 loss to Kansas.ANALYSIS
Manek was the only Tar Heel player to record multiple three-point baskets in a contest that also saw the fifth-year senior post his season-best rebounding total. His lone season with the Tar Heels has been the best in a variety of ways, as he finished the year on a streak of 19 straight games in double figures en route to a career-high 15.1 ppg average. Manek has also posted career bests in shooting percentage (49.3) and three-point percentage (40.3).

In addition, the guy has some swagger and fight in him. Could we draft him? Is he in our range?

He will be undrafted, because he is slow and unathletic. He was a bad defender in college. He would be an unspeakable one in the NBA.

John B
04-08-2022, 03:23 PM
That’s almost anyone we draft. Year 3 seems to be the breakout.

Can Murray wait for 3 more years? Or is the help already in Spurs uniform, with Keldon, Vassell, Collins and Co improving, and maybe just solidifying the defense at 4 with a good size pickup, not necessarily a scorer.

ZeusWillJudge
04-08-2022, 03:23 PM

Split
Team
GP
GS
MIN
PTS
FGM
FGA
FG%
3PM
3PA
3P%
FTM
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF

Games As Starter

I don't think Jones is rangey enough to really play the 4 the way people here are thinking.

Bridges is going to get vastly overpaid, and he's restricted anyway. Robert Covington can shoot the 3, but he's really a SF. After that, the free agent class is either over the hill or can't climb the hill. Trying to pry anyone loose from an accomplished stretch 4 would cost at least one player that people would scream about losing. So it's probably the draft, and someone who isn't going to dominate the way people here want for a year or two.

If they do get ping pong balls, there are some obvious choices. But if they don't, Sochan is probably the most likely to fall to the Spurs' pick. I'm not excited about him, like some are. I liked EJ Liddell a lot more until someone here pointed out that he's really only 6'5.5" without shoes.

Outside the top 6 or so picks, I have to say that Eason looks like the biggest-impact PF on the board. There isn't a thing about his game that I wouldn't welcome on this team as a rookie. I was kind of negative becase he's been a me-first player, in my opinion. But he's young, and he's tough which the Spurs can definitely use.

Pretty much nobody here bites when I say this, but Jabari Walker is going to have a lot of teams kicking themselves within a couple of years, especially if he lands with the right team. He needs to hit the weight room for 15-20 lbs. to play the 4, but I really think he's got the motor and the personal drive to do that.

Eason is my first choice for an after-6th pick, and Walker is my bargain pick.

Leetonidas
04-08-2022, 03:49 PM
If the bridge hasn’t been burned completely it might be worth inviting Samanic back to next year’s training camp…

:lol no

PhantomDashCam
04-08-2022, 04:24 PM
This isn't confusing, man. I don't think Primo and Jones have different statlines, and I think any Spur would do as well or better. Jones doesn't look good, he just looks like he should. He's a guy drafted into the NBA playing against guys who weren't good enough to be in the NBA, while also getting developmental priority. There's a reason why guys like Forbes and Eubanks looks awesome in Austin.

I wouldn't trade anything except maybe the Boston or Lakers pick for him. Anyone the Spurs draft would likely be able to go into Austin and play as well as Jones did this year, while also having and additional developmental year. It doesn't have to be Eason.

You can’t have it both ways. You can’t state, “Any Spur would dominate in the G-League” and also, “Josh Primo’s stat are mediocre in the G-League”.

It’s OK to be wrong, but not to double down and try and gaslight the conversation, especially when it’s out in the open.

We can disagree on the effectiveness of reps. and quality of competition in G-League basketball. (I think it’s improved considerably in the last few years btw).

That’s fine, you wouldn’t give up anything other than the 20-25 pick for him. Let’s leave it there and move on.

DAF86
04-08-2022, 05:13 PM
he is tho. the occasional weakside block doesnt change that

Go check his defensive metrics while on the Spurs.

spurraider21
04-08-2022, 05:23 PM
Go check his defensive metrics while on the Spurs.
go check them in recent years

Big Empty
04-08-2022, 06:02 PM
He will be undrafted, because he is slow and unathletic. He was a bad defender in college. He would be an unspeakable one in the NBA.
Sounds like a good Bertans, Bonner going away present for Pop!

wildbill2u
04-08-2022, 06:05 PM

Really. Well, I guess I was fooled by his defense in that last game with 4 blocks and 13 rebounds. That's why we need guys like you who keep up with players during the entire season.

Dex
04-08-2022, 06:07 PM

Samanic sucks, people need to just forget his name and move on from that draft mistake. He couldn't even find a spot on the Knicks GLeague team.

He is not NBA material, and I'm not even convinced he would survive over in Europe. Dude just doesn't have the drive to play professional basketball.

RC_Drunkford
04-08-2022, 07:12 PM
this team actually needs 2 PFs. I'm not too confident in them fixing this hole in the offseason so I hope they draft 2 PFs and hopefully one develops into a starter if we're lucky.

ZeusWillJudge
04-08-2022, 08:53 PM

He will be within the range of all three of the Spurs first round picks, I suspect. He can shoot, and he's tall. Anybody remember Steve Novak? He could shoot, and he was tall. Novak he was 6'10" and only a slightly better rebounder PER36 than Tony Parker. Nowhere near as good as Manu. If he can get NBA teams to give him a $21M career like Novak did, good on him. Just not here.

The biggest difference between Novak and Manek is that Novak didn't look like the GEICO neanderthal. I couldn't stand looking at him for an entire season. I would take Fathead back in a heartbeat, and not even have to use up a draft pick to do it.

I now Manek looked okay in the NCAA. But remember that most of the really good college players are gone after their second year. Manek was a fifth year player, and... oh none of that matters. Just don't make me look at him for an entire season.

GAustex
04-08-2022, 08:58 PM
Manek in the first round is a mistake.
Last play of the championship game tell you what you need to know. Weak D
Below average rebounder.
No thanks
Free agent signing-sure

BatManu20
04-08-2022, 09:37 PM
Posted this in the draft thread a few days ago. Hard pass on Manek.

Zero chance on Manek. Poor athlete, horrible defender, bad rebounder. He’s a one-trick pony who may carve out a bench spot on a bad NBA team but no way he’s a 1st Round Pick imo.

exstatic
04-08-2022, 10:01 PM
He will be within the range of all three of the Spurs first round picks, I suspect. He can shoot, and he's tall. Anybody remember Steve Novak? He could shoot, and he was tall. Novak he was 6'10" and only a slightly better rebounder PER36 than Tony Parker. Nowhere near as good as Manu. If he can get NBA teams to give him a $21M career like Novak did, good on him. Just not here.

The biggest difference between Novak and Manek is that Novak didn't look like the GEICO neanderthal. I couldn't stand looking at him for an entire season. I would take Fathead back in a heartbeat, and not even have to use up a draft pick to do it.

I now Manek looked okay in the NCAA. But remember that most of the really good college players are gone after their second year. Manek was a fifth year player, and... oh none of that matters. Just don't make me look at him for an entire season.

Tall guys who can shoot aren’t the rarity that they were in Novak’s time. Steve Novak also started a grand total of 6 games n his career. Not a good comp for someone people are talking about drafting.

talkspurs
04-08-2022, 10:59 PM

are you saying this is because of buyout or you think it will take that long to develope. I want us to draft jovic as well and cant find anything on his buyout. Signed his contract recently shortly after turning 18.

BackHome
04-08-2022, 11:55 PM
That guys reminds me of Baldwin JR. I hope we don’t draft him maybe with our Flakers pick but not one of our first. He is just hype he couldn’t do anything lesser talent and he shows to be injury prone and is also kinda a one trick pony with regards to his shooting. He definitely can’t hold his own against big powerful forwards he would get destroyed and he is not a great rebounder or defender hard pass for me.

ZeusWillJudge
04-09-2022, 12:28 AM
Tall guys who can shoot aren’t the rarity that they were in Novak’s time. Steve Novak also started a grand total of 6 games n his career. Not a good comp for someone people are talking about drafting.

Oh, I agree with all that. That's why I made that comparison. One year with the Knicks, Novak made something like 150 3-pointers, and still averaged less than 6 points per game. And I swear he was under two RB per game. 6'10" and getting 20 minutes, and pulling down less than 2 boards.

Maybe I'll be wrong, but I think Manek will just be lost on the court with other grown men. He'll be sitting out at the arc waiting for someone to toss him an opportunity for the long ball. That's no disrespect to WildBill who brought him up - especially since I know some team will draft him because he's a tall guy who can shoot. But remember how hard Pop tried to keep Novak on the roster after those few games in SA. (Not at all.)

ZeusWillJudge
04-09-2022, 01:06 AM
That guys reminds me of Baldwin JR. I hope we don’t draft him maybe with our Flakers pick but not one of our first. He is just hype he couldn’t do anything lesser talent and he shows to be injury prone and is also kinda a one trick pony with regards to his shooting. He definitely can’t hold his own against big powerful forwards he would get destroyed and he is not a great rebounder or defender hard pass for me.

Now, see, I think Baldwin is better than Manek. He was one of the most highly recruited players coming out of high school. He should never have gone to a second-rate school like Milwaukee, and playing for his dad was a dumpster fire - even before his dad got fired.

I'm concerned about the injuries, but he's pretty much got to go to the combine now and we'll know a lot more from there. I think he'll stick in the NBA if the ankle problems haven't hobbled him. If he shows bad at the combine, I wouldn't touch him. But if he shows good, I think he's still probably late first round with a lot of upside beyond 3P shooting.

He reminds me a LOT of Michael Porter Jr., including his history. Except Porter's physical problems seem hereditary and chronic. Wait till the combine before writing him off. He's one of the guys I've been looking at as a possible draft bargain since the beginning of the season.

DAF86
04-09-2022, 04:48 PM
go check them in recent years

Still decent on an awful team. Compare them to a guy like McDermott.

DAF86
04-09-2022, 04:53 PM

Funny fact about Novak. He never dunked on an NBA game, despite being 6'10".

ZeusWillJudge
04-10-2022, 12:46 AM
Funny fact about Novak. He never dunked on an NBA game, despite being 6'10".

Well that's some trivia magic. 6'10 and in the league more than 10 years, and never dunked once?

I don't know why it should surprise me, though. I wonder if Novak ever got into the restricted circle during a game? Shame they don't keep stats on that.

KingKev
04-10-2022, 05:55 AM
Was only a matter of time before Spurstalk ramped up the bring back Samanic and Eubanks chatter.

Strategic
04-10-2022, 08:53 AM
Do any of you have an eyewitness report on Aric Holman? Is he getting any PT in Austin or just a body on the bench?

exstatic
04-10-2022, 08:56 AM
Do any of you have an eyewitness report on Aric Holman?

He’s a gleague player, not an nba player. In all his time he’s gotten only one 10 day, and that was covid related.

CGD
04-10-2022, 09:42 AM
We have 3 draft picks. No need to speculate on g league players right now