PDA

View Full Version : Play-In Tournament #9 vs #10: Spurs vs Pelicans

Uriel
04-06-2022, 11:29 PM
No matter what happens the rest of the way, our play-in tournament matchup is set: we will be playing the New Orleans Pelicans. The only question now is who will have homecourt advantage for that game.

Any analyses? Predictions?

I’m going to go out on a limb and say the Spurs will win this game, regardless of who has home court advantage. The Spurs have been the better team throughout the regular season (+0.4 point differential for the Spurs vs -0.9 for the Pelicans at the time of this writing) and they’re peaking at the exact right time.

Robz4000
04-06-2022, 11:34 PM
Spurs - 102
Pels - 113

Big daddy Val has another play-in game for the ages against the Spurs with 23/16.

offset formation
04-06-2022, 11:36 PM
I think we win. Then beat the Clippers in LA after they lose to Minnesota. Then we get rolled by PHX in 4.

Then we don't even get a lottery pick. Spurs have 3 picks between #15 and #27.

Give me, Shoot yourself in the foot, for $1,000, please Alex.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
04-06-2022, 11:36 PM
Now that the L Train has been nuked by GOATPATFO, i'm ALL IN muthafuckas.

Spurs in ONE.

100-99

Allan Rowe vs Wade
04-06-2022, 11:37 PM
Spurs have 3 picks between #15 and #27.

and we're gonna trade up into the top 12 to get who we want, with some future concessions

(and sexy results!)

KobesAchilles
04-07-2022, 11:28 AM
Matchups:
PG: Spurs better
SG: Pels better
SF: Pels better
PF: Pels better
C: Pels better
Just gotta hope our bench is up to the task

BatManu20
04-07-2022, 11:40 AM
Go Pelicans tbh.

heyheymymy
04-07-2022, 11:51 AM
Spurs impressively toe the line between best possible postseason progress and best possible draft pick position combo. Have your cake and eat it too. Prob shouldn't advance past the play-in though.

paperboy77
04-07-2022, 12:14 PM
Spurs - 102
Pels - 113

Big daddy Val has another play-in game for the ages against the Spurs with 23/16.

You just burst my bubble dude. There I was thinking in my head that we need to lock down McCullough by all means and we'd pull it out. Then it all comes back to when Val absolutely raped Jakub. Unfortunately, unless Jakub grows a pair, I think you may be right.

KingKev
04-07-2022, 12:16 PM
CJ, JV and BI are a tough 3sum for this team to defend. Jak is going to be left in an island all night.

I just hope we play hard!

TDomination
04-07-2022, 12:37 PM
i hope murray is available and hope we win

i think we have a very good chance of winning regardless if we're at home or on the road

RC_Drunkford
04-07-2022, 12:37 PM
gonna be a close game. Spurs chances highly depend on Murray getting back to 100%

John B
04-07-2022, 01:08 PM
Pop is best at getting the team ready for playoff atmosphere, scouting, match-ups. If it’s against a #1 or #2, Pop coukd even get a game 1 upset if a 7-game series. And this is against #9? I have to give it to Pop. Spurs over Pelicans.

spurraider21
04-07-2022, 01:24 PM
Spurs by 20+ tbh

itzsoweezee
04-07-2022, 01:28 PM
No imploding Demar this year. I like our chances

Seventyniner
04-07-2022, 02:01 PM
Wild horses won't be able to keep Murray out of this game. Especially if the Spurs do the smart thing and rest him these next 3 games.

KingKev
04-07-2022, 02:08 PM
Pop is best at getting the team ready for playoff atmosphere, scouting, match-ups. If it’s against a #1 or #2, Pop coukd even get a game 1 upset if a 7-game series. And this is against #9? I have to give it to Pop. Spurs over Pelicans.

Two years ago in the play-in we were demolished by Memphis by the end if the 1st Q

offset formation
04-07-2022, 02:46 PM
Wild horses won't be able to keep Murray out of this game. Especially if the Spurs do the smart thing and rest him these next 3 games.

Isn't he coming off a lung infection? He's gonna be gassed if he can't get some game action before then

offset formation
04-07-2022, 02:47 PM
Spurs - 102
Pels - 113

More like 34 and 18.

John B
04-07-2022, 02:52 PM
Two years ago in the play-in we were demolished by Memphis by the end if the 1st Q

You make it sound like the game was over by 1st quarter. The Spurs actually came back and even had a lead and made it a game. But when your best player is shooting 6-of-21 you are likely to lose. The ball is round, things happen. If I’m playing the odds, I’d give Pop the odds on getting the team ready and having a great plan against #9 is all I’m saying. Against a #1 or #2, it’s a mountain to climb, but times have shown Spurs upset more formidable teams playing away. And if these guys are believing Pop, they can play unselfish basketball, play excellent defense. Anything could happen.

TDomination
04-07-2022, 03:09 PM
it was last year and spurs were up by 2 with 6 minutes to go. so regardless if they were demolished by the end of the 1st, they came back and took the lead and made it a game.
and that was with last years team. this year we are much more a team and they are gellin at the right time.

Robz4000
04-07-2022, 03:10 PM

If Murray doesn't play in either of the last two games he won't play in this one tbh.

KingKev
04-07-2022, 03:28 PM
If Murray doesn't play in either of the last two games he won't play in this one tbh.

huh? We have three games left and the play-in is in 6 days?

Mr. Body
04-07-2022, 04:08 PM
I feel like the Spurs would win a series between these teams. A single game is a toss-up.

Robz4000
04-07-2022, 04:50 PM
huh? We have three games left and the play-in is in 6 days?

He's coming off a respiratory infection. If he doesn't get real game action to get his body back I to shape (he'll of been out nearly three weeks) I can't see Pop throwing him in there.

Ice009
04-09-2022, 02:19 AM
I don't understand how the lottery works in regard to this play-in crap. Do you guys think they even still needed to have these play-in games?

Anyway, if whoever finishes 10th beats the team in 9th, does that team that finished 10th (Spurs as of now), still draft like they were 10th?

If the 9th or 10th team gets the 8th spot, does that mean they're out of the lottery completely?

MultiTroll
04-09-2022, 03:14 AM
Spurs resting starters in last 2 games with no position to gain?
:corn:
:pop:

tbdog
04-09-2022, 06:35 AM
I don't understand how the lottery works in regard to this play-in crap. Do you guys think they even still needed to have these play-in games?

Anyway, if whoever finishes 10th beats the team in 9th, does that team that finished 10th (Spurs as of now), still draft like they were 10th?

If the 9th or 10th team gets the 8th spot, does that mean they're out of the lottery completely?

Your seeding stays if you don't make the playoffs. Doesn't matter if you win the first game.

The Truth #6
04-09-2022, 07:48 AM
I assume Murray is fine because I thought Pop was holding him out to take a look at other players.

duncan2150
04-09-2022, 08:12 AM
Spurs resting starters in last 2 games with no position to gain?
:corn:
:pop:

Possible lol imo they will play the team against Dallas to get ready for NO. They already make Murray, Poetl, Vassell and Johnson out for tonight's game.

TDomination
04-10-2022, 01:28 PM
Time date set

Wednesday, April 13
930pm ET
ESPN

First game of the year on national television. How bout that

Uriel
04-10-2022, 10:56 PM
Time date set

Wednesday, April 13
930pm ET
ESPN

First game of the year on national television. How bout that
https://wompampsupport.azureedge.net/fetchimage?siteId=7575&v=2&jpgQuality=100&width=700&url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.kym-cdn.com%2Fphotos%2Fimages%2Fnewsfeed%2F001%2F852%2 F171%2F895

Allan Rowe vs Wade
04-10-2022, 11:04 PM
spurs by 40

:smokin

TDomination
04-11-2022, 09:47 AM
Article regarding Spurs/Pelicans matchup:

https://www.nba.com/pelicans/news/pelicans-spurs-unlikely-postseason-matchup-after-major-turnaround-both-clubs

Pelicans-Spurs an unlikely postseason matchup after major turnaround for both clubs

A month into this NBA season, a San Antonio vs. New Orleans play-in matchup seemed about as likely to take place as an April snowstorm in the Crescent City. The Spurs were 4-13 on Thanksgiving, while the Pelicans entered Turkey Day at 4-16, far from the Western Conference postseason conversation. Led by mostly inexperienced rosters, both Southwest Division squads eventually found their footing, playing .500-plus basketball over the rest of 2021-22, setting the stage for an elimination game between No. 9 and 10 seeds.
Unlike many Spurs rosters over the past few decades, this edition does not boast a collection of future Hall of Famers or multi-time All-Stars, with none of their three leading scorers older than 26. The Pelicans also rely heavily on youngsters, including three rookie rotation members and a third-year starting power forward. Here’s a position-by-position overview of each team heading into Wednesday’s play-in matchup:

BatManu20
04-11-2022, 09:50 AM
Anyone else feel like Spurs are gonna win this one tbh. Cause I do.

lebomb
04-11-2022, 09:55 AM

I feel the Spurs will win also. If we have 6-8 players in double figures we win by double digits. IMO

lmbebo
04-11-2022, 10:47 AM
Don't love this play in tournament at all. Maybe if it was a tie game or teams were closer together in the standings... but 2 teams below 500 shouldn't be trying to play into the playoffs...

That aside, winner of SA-NO would play winner of Minn-LAC and that winner would go to the play offs to play the Suns in 1st round?

emanueldavidginobili
04-11-2022, 10:56 AM
Don't love this play in tournament at all. Maybe if it was a tie game or teams were closer together in the standings... but 2 teams below 500 shouldn't be trying to play into the playoffs...

That aside, winner of SA-NO would play winner of Minn-LAC and that winner would go to the play offs to play the Suns in 1st round?
Winner of SA/NO plays the loser of the Min/LAC game, winner of the Min/LAC game gets the 7th seed. Whoever loses the Min/LAC goes on to play the winner of SA/NO, winner of that takes the 8th seed and plays the Suns.

baseline bum
04-11-2022, 11:02 AM

I'm scared they might. Would really hate to see them win two and move down to the #14 pick just to get skullfucked by Phoenix in the first round. But beating NO and Minnesota seems like it could be doable.

KingKev
04-11-2022, 11:15 AM
The NO play-in game will be a nice experience for the young guys. Win or lose the only take away will be who comes to play. I’d expect Keldon, Jak and especially Murray to bring it. I’m also expecting guys like Vassell, Walker and Primo to turtle, if they compete that’s a win in itself.

Remember that this is still a 14 games under 500 team. There is no chance we beat the Clippers and little chance we beat Minny.

Ariel
04-11-2022, 11:19 AM
I'm scared they might. Would really hate to see them win two and move down to the #14 pick just to get skullfucked by Phoenix in the first round. But beating NO and Minnesota seems like it could be doable.
I feel the exact same way... best case scenario would be beating NO & falling to the Clippers / Minny... but since that is too risky, go Pels! :lol

exstatic
04-11-2022, 11:21 AM

No, the winner of SA/NO plays the LOSER of LAC/Mem. The winner of the LAC/Mem game is already in the playoffs.

Edit: Min not Mem.

R. DeMurre
04-11-2022, 12:22 PM
Props to Adam Silver... The play-in is interesting in that most posts I see from fans seem to be very anti-, at least until their favorite team is helped by it. Without the play-in, the Spurs finish 8 games outside of playoff contention in the West, with fewer wins than the 12th seed in the East. With the play-in, fans are still engaged and excited, and fewer teams are blatantly tanking... But it seems extremely rare for the commissioner to get any credit or praise for making it happen.

jjspur
04-11-2022, 12:58 PM
The play in tournament idea has been a success for Adam Silver. An extra handful of teams trying for a playoff push rather than tanking early, that's a good thing. Keeps the lower end teams and the league more interesting in the final stages of the season- definitely a plus.
It will be a real eye opener if a tournament team beats a 7th or 8th seed and then gives the number 1 seed a run for their money or even upset the number 1 seed. Its not likely to happen but it will just be a matter of time before it somehow does. A rare idea from the NBA that actually works. The only ones that don't like the idea are the ones that think they might possibly lose to a 9th or 10th seed.

KingKev
04-11-2022, 01:14 PM
Props to Adam Silver... The play-in is interesting in that most posts I see from fans seem to be very anti-, at least until their favorite team is helped by it. Without the play-in, the Spurs finish 8 games outside of playoff contention in the West, with fewer wins than the 12th seed in the East. With the play-in, fans are still engaged and excited, and fewer teams are blatantly tanking... But it seems extremely rare for the commissioner to get any credit or praise for making it happen.

A month ago Spurstalkers were a collective cliff-jump away from the end, today the consensus take is we are better than our record and one player away from contention. Great job by Adam Silver.

R. DeMurre
04-11-2022, 01:23 PM
The play in tournament idea has been a success for Adam Silver. An extra handful of teams trying for a playoff push rather than tanking early, that's a good thing. Keeps the lower end teams and the league more interesting in the final stages of the season- definitely a plus.
It will be a real eye opener if a tournament team beats a 7th or 8th seed and then gives the number 1 seed a run for their money or even upset the number 1 seed. Its not likely to happen but it will just be a matter of time before it somehow does. A rare idea from the NBA that actually works. The only ones that don't like the idea are the ones that think they might possibly lose to a 9th or 10th seed.

In a way I feel for the Heat, who might have to face Brooklyn with a healthy KD & Kyrie in the first round. Not much of a reward for being the #1 seed!

mo7888
04-11-2022, 01:37 PM

I do too...

exstatic
04-11-2022, 01:39 PM

The first game? Yeah. Not the second one, though.

MultiTroll
04-11-2022, 02:13 PM

Sort of.
Also a burn to have an 82 game schedule reduced to one game when the higher team may really be much better in a series, but not for that one game.
Like to see a 2 of 3. However, the one game and out is much more exciting and part of what drives the NFL and NCAA tourneys being more watchable. No blah throw away games.

Can the NBA find a middle ground? Stern Jr. talking about a mid season tourney.

John B
04-11-2022, 02:28 PM
I like Spurs chances for game 1. Give the guys a “playoff experience” somewhat.

exstatic
04-11-2022, 02:42 PM
Sort of.
Also a burn to have an 82 game schedule reduced to one game when the higher team may really be much better in a series, but not for that one game.
Like to see a 2 of 3. However, the one game and out is much more exciting and part of what drives the NFL and NCAA tourneys being more watchable. No blah throw away games.

Can the NBA find a middle ground? Stern Jr. talking about a mid season tourney.

Yeah, but it's rigged so that only one of 9/10 can play in. 7/8 only has to win one game, and can lose one and stay alive.

Russ
04-11-2022, 03:04 PM
Yeah, but it's rigged so that only one of 9/10 can play in. 7/8 only has to win one game, and can lose one and stay alive.

To put it another way, the 7 or 8 seed has to go 0-2 (at least one of which is at home and, in all cases, the last of which is at home).

DAF86
04-11-2022, 03:18 PM

Play-in is very unfair though. I can't get behind the idea of a 50 wins team having to play its playoffs spot in a single elimination game vs a 34 wins team. One bad night destroys a great season of basketball and sets up a horrible playoffs series between a #2 seed and a lottery team.

The Truth #6
04-11-2022, 03:29 PM
I thought Bill Simmons came up with idea initially and called it something like "The Fun As Hell Mini-Tournament"? I don't hate it. It's supposed to stave off tanking. I'm not paying enough attention to see if it's actually helping in that regard. If anything, it could make teams tank worse to ensure they don't make the play in. Future changes are still needed imo.

Dex
04-11-2022, 03:43 PM
I thought Bill Simmons came up with idea initially and called it something like "The Fun As Hell Mini-Tournament"? I don't hate it. It's supposed to stave off tanking. I'm not paying enough attention to see if it's actually helping in that regard. If anything, it could make teams tank worse to ensure they don't make the play in. Future changes are still needed imo.

I will agree that it makes the last two weeks of the season a bit more entertaining, BUT....

If I was the 7 or 8 seed and had a 5-10 game lead on the playoffs...then managed to get booted out because I played a couple bad games, that would rub me the wrong way. ESPECIALLY if there was an injury or ref interference or something...you can weather that over a seven-game series, but one-and-done seems kinda shitty for someone who spent 82 games trying to make the playoffs.

RC_Drunkford
04-11-2022, 04:06 PM

i do top, but now that you‘re saying it I might have to overthink that

exstatic
04-11-2022, 04:24 PM
I will agree that it makes the last two weeks of the season a bit more entertaining, BUT....

If I was the 7 or 8 seed and had a 5-10 game lead on the playoffs...then managed to get booted out because I played a couple bad games, that would rub me the wrong way. ESPECIALLY if there was an injury or ref interference or something...you can weather that over a seven-game series, but one-and-done seems kinda shitty for someone who spent 82 games trying to make the playoffs.

A couple of bad games will cost you a playoff series, too. If you can't win one game with up to two chances, you aren't very good.

KingKev
04-11-2022, 04:38 PM
If Walker is playing they better run with DJ/Vassell/JRich/Keldon/Jak as the starters and Walker/Tre/Zollins off the bench. Limited minutes for Primo/Landale and KBD only if needed.

TDomination
04-11-2022, 04:49 PM

if you couldn't make the playoffs after 82 games, then you don't deserve to be in it. pretty simple.

exstatic
04-11-2022, 04:49 PM
If Walker is playing they better run with DJ/Vassell/JRich/Keldon/Jak as the starters and Walker/Tre/Zollins off the bench. Limited minutes for Primo/Landale and KBD only if needed.

F Walker. He ain't nothin but scared and hesitant. At least Primo will shoot the ball, and he might get hot. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

TD 21
04-11-2022, 04:54 PM

They're clearly going to prioritize seeing how Primo fares in a playoff like environment over giving themselves the best possible chance to win.

Winning does nothing for a team in their situation except get them one step closer to further destroying their lottery odds.

KingKev
04-11-2022, 05:10 PM
F Walker. He ain't nothin but scared and hesitant. At least Primo will shoot the ball, and he might get hot. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Primo will have his shot in due time but I feel this is make or break for Walker. I fully expect Walker, Primo and Vassell to all play scared and passive for the record….

The biggest take away from this game is who comes ready. 1-12 who wants to win versus talk like so many of the garbage soundbites we have heard from guys like Walker the last few years.

tbdog
04-11-2022, 05:22 PM
Primo won't play. I wonder if landall will, considering pop went with double big last Pelicans game.

Gagnrath
04-11-2022, 08:10 PM
A month ago Spurstalkers were a collective cliff-jump away from the end, today the consensus take is we are better than our record and one player away from contention. Great job by Adam Silver.

This team was always better than their record, they are a young team that lost a lot of close games early season, a decent number of those with a big free throw disparity. Part of that was an inability to close games, part of that was a lack of officiating respect (which is a thing), and part of that was an experience and not being able to handle the moment with especially without a go-to person or two. Point disparity for the season looks far closer to that of a roughly 500 for the season record and a 7/8 seed then that of a 10 seed multiple games out of the playoffs.

exstatic
04-11-2022, 08:23 PM
During a game, on the bench..

CGD
04-11-2022, 08:27 PM
^ I’m old and lame, what is that exactly?

GAustex
04-11-2022, 08:33 PM
Edibles?

cjw
04-11-2022, 08:33 PM
The NO play-in game will be a nice experience for the young guys. Win or lose the only take away will be who comes to play. I’d expect Keldon, Jak and especially Murray to bring it. I’m also expecting guys like Vassell, Walker and Primo to turtle, if they compete that’s a win in itself.

Remember that this is still a 14 games under 500 team. There is no chance we beat the Clippers and little chance we beat Minny.

As I posted elsewhere, they are tied for the worst record of any team to have a positive point differential in a season.

They’re not your typical 34-48 team. They’ll be underdogs in both games, and for the future I’d prefer the better pick. But they’re not in a “no chance” scenario.

exstatic
04-11-2022, 08:36 PM
^ I’m old and lame, what is that exactly?

Edibles?

Yup. On the bench. During a game.

CGD
04-11-2022, 08:49 PM

Bold

daslicer
04-11-2022, 08:51 PM
Play-in is very unfair though. I can't get behind the idea of a 50 wins team having to play its playoffs spot in a single elimination game vs a 34 wins team. One bad night destroys a great season of basketball and sets up a horrible playoffs series between a #2 seed and a lottery team.

Your example made me of how the Spurs won 50 games in 2010 and ended up with the 7th seed. Granted that team wasn't a title contender but I can't imagine how unfair it would have been back then had to play the young Thunder team that was the 8th seed. They probably lose that game since even back then I believe the Thunder was a bad match up for them.

Over the long run the play in will cause the disaster scenario you mentioned to play out more than once. It's really a dumb idea. A team that is 14-15 games below .500 should not be rewarded with getting into the playoffs based on 2 fluky games. It also hurts that team's development by creating an illusion that team is playoff ready when they are not.

baseline bum
04-11-2022, 08:56 PM

Where they belong with a 34 win season

Allan Rowe vs Wade
04-11-2022, 09:00 PM
Bum wants that damn lotto pick

GAustex
04-11-2022, 09:03 PM
Ingram always looks stoned

CGD
04-11-2022, 09:26 PM
Your example made me of how the Spurs won 50 games in 2010 and ended up with the 7th seed. Granted that team wasn't a title contender but I can't imagine how unfair it would have been back then had to play the young Thunder team that was the 8th seed. They probably lose that game since even back then I believe the Thunder was a bad match up for them.

Over the long run the play in will cause the disaster scenario you mentioned to play out more than once. It's really a dumb idea. A team that is 14-15 games below .500 should not be rewarded with getting into the playoffs based on 2 fluky games. It also hurts that team's development by creating an illusion that team is playoff ready when they are not.

I like the play in concept personally. honestly 7-8 seeds are hot garbage many more times than they’re not, and most 1-8 and 2-7 match ups are boring as hell anyway.

Why not spice up the churn at the end of the playoff seeding?

For example, the Nets situation right now is intriguing to me not just because of who their first round match up might be but also because the teams behind them could legit knock them out even before they get there.

daslicer
04-11-2022, 09:46 PM
I like the play in concept personally. honestly 7-8 seeds are hot garbage many more times than they’re not, and most 1-8 and 2-7 match ups are boring as hell anyway.

Why not spice up the churn at the end of the playoff seeding?

For example, the Nets situation right now is intriguing to me not just because of who their first round match up might be but also because the teams behind them could legit knock them out even before they get there.

That's the main reason everybody is intrigued by it right now but would you be into it if it was 2 typical bottom feeders that nobody cared about? Probably not. The Nets are hated by a large number of fans so of course their play in game will draw in a lot of viewers. My prediction is the Nets will beat the Cavs easily and it will be a snooze fest.

lmbebo
04-11-2022, 09:49 PM
I think play-in tournament should only happen if the teams are close in the standings instead of a tie breaker.

007nites
04-11-2022, 09:53 PM
I think play-in tournament should only happen if the teams are close in the standings instead of a tie breaker.

It shouldn't happen at all. The only time it made sense was during the bubble when schedules were all messed up.

daslicer
04-11-2022, 10:20 PM
It shouldn't happen at all. The only time it made sense was during the bubble when schedules were all messed up.

It’s all about greed. Unfortunately the NBA will keep this horrible idea since it’s extra tv money.

Seventyniner
04-11-2022, 11:06 PM
It’s all about greed. Unfortunately the NBA will keep this horrible idea since it’s extra tv money.

Yup. It's the same reason MLB keeps expanding the playoffs.

R. DeMurre
04-12-2022, 12:39 AM
I just noticed that New Orleans has a lot riding on this draft too-- they own the Lakers pick, which is currently slotted at #8, and they also have their own pick, currently slotted at #11, which is owed to Portland but protected 1-4 and 15-30. So if that Portland pick jumps up in the lottery drawing to the top 4, they keep it, and if they win the play in, they also keep it.

xellos88330
04-12-2022, 12:09 PM
I am in the fuck it and just win the whole damn thing at this point.

slick'81
04-12-2022, 12:19 PM

I really want that 9th pick.However, if spurs can win these next two and make the post season it will be pretty impressive

MultiTroll
04-12-2022, 12:22 PM
I just noticed that New Orleans has a lot riding on this draft too-- they own the Lakers pick, which is currently slotted at #8, and they also have their own pick, currently slotted at #11, which is owed to Portland but protected 1-4 and 15-30. So if that Portland pick jumps up in the lottery drawing to the top 4, they keep it, and if they win the play in, they also keep it.
At what point in time is the draft order set and games do not count? (for draft order purposes).
After the play in?
After the Finals?

TDomination
04-12-2022, 12:39 PM
thats my sentiment

we're in it, lets win it.

i'd be stoked if we somehow make it into the playoffs.

i'm already happy knowing we made the play in and the lakers didn't lol

Ariel
04-12-2022, 12:43 PM
At what point in time is the draft order set and games do not count? (for draft order purposes).
After the play in?
After the Finals?
After the play in the teams participating in the lottery are set (games stop counting for draft purposes).
May 17 the lottery takes place and the final order is set.

Ariel
04-12-2022, 12:50 PM
Ÿeah... they're the one team who should go at the play in hard with no regrets.
If they make the playoffs, they make a point (to their fan base, their core, Zion and the league), they still have a good lottery pick in the Lakers', and guarantee themselves a respectable draft slot while sending Portland the much worse 2025 Milwaukee first rounder instead (should be late 1st).
But if they don't, they still have a respectable chance at 1-4 with their own pick (10% chance at 1-4), so Portland can get a pick in the 11-14 range at best. Not that bad.
I didn't like the CJ McCollum trade at first glance, but could end up nicely for them.

PS: Just realized that they could still have TWO top 4 picks... a longshot, but man they'd be stacked should that happen...

stnick2261
04-12-2022, 01:14 PM
After the play in?
After the Finals?

After the play in the teams participating in the lottery are set (games stop counting for draft purposes).

This is mostly true except the games stop counting for draft purposes BEFORE the play-in.

exstatic
04-12-2022, 01:40 PM
This is mostly true except the games stop counting for draft purposes BEFORE the play-in.

If you play in, you lose your lottery slot, so the play in games very well could effect draft order. These games very well could count for draft purposes.

CGD
04-12-2022, 01:55 PM

Could we get to brass tax on this? I see it both ways and not just on this forum. To me it would frustrate the purpose of the play-in concept to punish a play in team for earning a berth to the final 8 with a weaker pick.

If that is the rule, though, they should fix it (and even reward a 10th seed with some slightly better lottery odds). Making the play-in berth more valuable can also help with tanking.

CGD
04-12-2022, 01:58 PM

Normally id agree, but how much extra money are 4 meh games going to generate really?

I think the real problem theyre trying to solve for is that 82 games is such a SLOG of a season and fans dont really care until about now any way. They are looking for ways to spice it up. I know there have been talks of doing mini cups or tournaments during the season too, with aims of addressing the same issue which would be interesting ideas.

CGD
04-12-2022, 02:06 PM
That's the main reason everybody is intrigued by it right now but would you be into it if it was 2 typical bottom feeders that nobody cared about? Probably not. The Nets are hated by a large number of fans so of course their play in game will draw in a lot of viewers. My prediction is the Nets will beat the Cavs easily and it will be a snooze fest.

The Nets scenario (i.e., star studded rosters with injured/incomplete/recently fully healthy squads) will be something like 15% of the situations. Those will be interesting - the MEM-GSG match up last year was a case in point.

In the other 85%, i think your are right in the sense that most of the time the cluster of teams in the 7-10 range in each conference are fairly interchangeable and in the same crappiness cohort. Take out the Nets and that's the situation in the East for example (and frankly same in West depending on what you think of the Clips). If 7 and 8 are typically shit-bird teams anyway, why not introduce an element of suspense to otherwise dull 1-8 and 2-7 match ups?

Ariel
04-12-2022, 02:07 PM
No. There is a preliminary order before the play in, but the games still matter because if you make the playoffs, you're out of the lottery. Case in point: The Spurs finished with the 9 worst record. If they win 2 games, they go all the way out of the lottery and pick at 15. Also, Washington would rise from 10 to 9, NO from 11 to 10, and so on... That's much more of a drop off than winning a regular season game, don't you think?

KingKev
04-12-2022, 02:09 PM
After the play in?
After the Finals?

Information is free. Google it.

MultiTroll
04-12-2022, 02:18 PM
Could we get to brass tax on this? I see it both ways and not just on this forum. To me it would frustrate the purpose of the play-in concept to punish a play in team for earning a berth to the final 8 with a weaker pick.

If that is the rule, though, they should fix it (and even reward a 10th seed with some slightly better lottery odds). Making the play-in berth more valuable can also help with tanking.
Right, the unjust punishment of say the Spurs making it to the 8 team playoff West only to have the draft pick spot keep getting worse and worse.
Other side a team with motive to tank if they feel they will just get blown away by the #1 seed anyways.
Cleveland and Minny have both looked very suspicious to me the last month of the season. Get better pick spot by tanking the Play In? I could see it potentially happening.
Needs fixin.

MultiTroll
04-12-2022, 02:20 PM
Information is free. Google it.
"How to stop attempting to become a control freak."
Got it for ya.

stnick2261
04-12-2022, 02:49 PM
If you play in, you lose your lottery slot, so the play in games very well could effect draft order. These games very well could count for draft purposes.

No. There is a preliminary order before the play in, but the games still matter because if you make the playoffs, you're out of the lottery. Case in point: The Spurs finished with the 9 worst record. If they win 2 games, they go all the way out of the lottery and pick at 15. Also, Washington would rise from 10 to 9, NO from 11 to 10, and so on... That's much more of a drop off than winning a regular season game, don't you think?

That's why I said what I quoted was "mostly true".... Ariel made it seem like the play-in games counted for the overall record for the overall draft position.

The games stop counting for draft position BEFORE the play-in. AFTER the play-in, the lottery teams are set.

stnick2261
04-12-2022, 02:53 PM

My post wouldn't make sense if it's not included with the post I quoted.

Ariel
04-12-2022, 03:28 PM
That's why I said what I quoted was "mostly true".... Ariel made it seem like the play-in games counted for the overall record for the overall draft position.

The games stop counting for draft position BEFORE the play-in. AFTER the play-in, the lottery teams are set.
:lol Never did I say that game count keeps adding, I responded with the same wording as the original poster saying that "games count" as in "they matter".
I never figured anyone could reasonably give it such a convoluted interpretation, but yes, of course: REGULAR SEASON TOTAL GAMES WON ISN'T MODIFIED, BUT PLAY IN GAMES DO MATTER. YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW THE TRUE ODDS BEFORE THE PLAY IN IS FINISHED. Clear enough?

Thomas82
04-12-2022, 03:32 PM

I agree with every word of this.

Silverheart80
04-12-2022, 04:01 PM
No matter what happens the rest of the way, our play-in tournament matchup is set: we will be playing the New Orleans Pelicans. The only question now is who will have homecourt advantage for that game.

Any analyses? Predictions?

I’m going to go out on a limb and say the Spurs will win this game, regardless of who has home court advantage. The Spurs have been the better team throughout the regular season (+0.4 point differential for the Spurs vs -0.9 for the Pelicans at the time of this writing) and they’re peaking at the exact right time.

I would love to see the Spurs win this game, but if New Orleans leans into their height advantage, this won't be a contest by the end. Spurs may make it close somewhere in the 4th, but New Orleans has mismatches that we can't answer. Would love to see Jakob grow a pair against Valenciunas, but I'm not holding my breath. Ditto Lonnie in a big game. Spurs will have to be unconscious stroking 3-pointers for an entire game, and make life miserable for CJ, if they're going to have a chance.

MultiTroll
04-12-2022, 04:15 PM
New Orleans leans into their height advantage, this won't be a contest by the end. Spurs may make it close somewhere in the 4th, but New Orleans has mismatches that we can't answer. Would love to see Jakob grow a pair against Valenciunas,
Refs may factor in as V is very good at drawing fouls.
Concur the Spurs will have to have a good, even great shooting night. And stop that missing FTs b.s.

DAF86
04-12-2022, 04:23 PM
During a game, on the bench..

What the fuck? Is that legal? Even so, how does the team allows it?

stnick2261
04-12-2022, 04:31 PM
:lol Never did I say that game count keeps adding, I responded with the same wording as the original poster saying that "games count" as in "they matter".
I never figured anyone could reasonably give it such a convoluted interpretation, but yes, of course: REGULAR SEASON TOTAL GAMES WON ISN'T MODIFIED, BUT PLAY IN GAMES DO MATTER. YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW THE TRUE ODDS BEFORE THE PLAY IN IS FINISHED. Clear enough?

MultiTroll just asked if the play in games counted for playoff order and you responded that draft order was set after the play in. What you said wasn’t wrong, but in light of what he was asking I was just trying to be more clear (obviously I wasn’t). I know it made sense in your head but there was a clear distinction that needed to be made. At no point was I attacking you or belittling you.

Ariel
04-12-2022, 04:51 PM
MultiTroll just asked if the play in games counted for playoff order and you responded that draft order was set after the play in. What you said wasn’t wrong, but in light of what he was asking I was just trying to be more clear (obviously I wasn’t). I know it made sense in your head but there was a clear distinction that needed to be made. At no point was I attacking you or belittling you.
No I didn't. I said LOTTERY PARTICIPANTS ARE SET after the play in, and FINAL ORDER IS SET AFTER THE LOTTERY. It's clear as day.

At what point in time is the draft order set and games do not count? (for draft order purposes)
Meaning of count for: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/count

to have value or significance These are the people who really count. His opinions don't count for much.
So, again, games stop having significance for draft purposes ONLY AFTER THE PLAY IN.
There was no confusion, provided one makes proper sense of what counting for means. But whatever. I'm done arguing semantics.

Dex
04-12-2022, 04:55 PM
thats my sentiment

we're in it, lets win it.

i'd be stoked if we somehow make it into the playoffs.

i'm already happy knowing we made the play in and the lakers didn't lol

Bingo. It's kinda win win at this point.

We could lose the next game and I've already had the schadenfreude of keeping Lakers and LeBron out.

If we somehow make the playoffs, we kill the streak of missing and give the young guys good experience and confidence. If not, our draft chances improve.

If I had to choose, I'd lean towards the better pick because I don't see this team making a serious playoff run...but whatever happens happens and I'm not gonna stress over it. Basically playing with house money at this point.

MultiTroll
04-12-2022, 05:02 PM
Spurs can draft as low as #9 or as high as #15. That completes the range for 2022.
Which?

1. True
2. False

Ariel
04-12-2022, 05:05 PM
Spurs can draft as low as #9 or as high as #15. That completes the range for 2022.
Which?

1. True
2. False
Spurs can draft:
1,2,3,4 (if they don't make the playoffs and luck into top 4 in the lottery)
9, 10, 11, 12, 13 (if they don't make the playoffs and don't get into top 4 in the lottery)
15 (if they make the playoffs)
End of story

Allan Rowe vs Wade
04-12-2022, 05:09 PM
We're here, Duncan's queer

NEAL WITH IT

Spurs in 1 baby

KingKev
04-12-2022, 06:03 PM
"How to stop attempting to become a control freak."
Got it for ya.

8th graders are capable of google searches. You are a self proclaimed sports gambler but also come to sports boards for free information? What are you betting? $5 on the spread?

MultiTroll
04-12-2022, 06:35 PM
8th graders are capable of google searches. You are a self proclaimed sports gambler but also come to sports boards for free information? What are you betting? $5 on the spread?
We've already had 3 posters disagree / need clarification.

Nets cover 1st half. ;)

GAustex
04-12-2022, 08:13 PM
It will be to me interesting to see how DJM handles decision making under the pressure of the meaningful contest.

SPURt
04-12-2022, 09:41 PM
Is it worth making the playoffs and giving up a top 10 pick to send the Clippers and Lakers home in the same season?

yes… yes it is (in the voice of Josh Brolin)

Dverde
04-12-2022, 09:48 PM
It will be to me interesting to see how DJM handles decision making under the pressure of the meaningful contest.

More interested in seeing if Keldon or Devin play well. I’m assuming Lonnie will shit the bed.

GAustex
04-12-2022, 09:52 PM
More interested in seeing if Keldon or Devin play well. I’m assuming Lonnie will shit the bed.
Fair enough
Look for DJM turnovers or not might be a key if he stresses under pressure

exstatic
04-12-2022, 10:07 PM
Fair enough
Look for DJM turnovers or not might be a key if he stresses under pressure

He doesn’t turn the ball over much under any circumstances. What he does is go hero ball, and start chucking up contested turnaround jumpers instead of going to the rack or passing it.

R. DeMurre
04-12-2022, 10:37 PM
Ÿeah... they're the one team who should go at the play in hard with no regrets.
If they make the playoffs, they make a point (to their fan base, their core, Zion and the league), they still have a good lottery pick in the Lakers', and guarantee themselves a respectable draft slot while sending Portland the much worse 2025 Milwaukee first rounder instead (should be late 1st).
But if they don't, they still have a respectable chance at 1-4 with their own pick (10% chance at 1-4), so Portland can get a pick in the 11-14 range at best. Not that bad.
I didn't like the CJ McCollum trade at first glance, but could end up nicely for them.

PS: Just realized that they could still have TWO top 4 picks... a longshot, but man they'd be stacked should that happen...

They've used McCollum a bunch as a PG rather than a 6'3" SG, and I think that makes all the difference, especially paired in the back court with uber-defender Herb Jones or the 6'8" Brandon Ingram... so different from the Trailblazers with their back court defensive sieve of 6'2" Lillard + 6'3" McCollum.

Leetonidas
04-12-2022, 10:47 PM
Towns shitting the bed big time :lol Spurs might actually beat these losers if they manage to beat the Pels :depressed

Seventyniner
04-12-2022, 10:59 PM
Towns shitting the bed big time :lol Spurs might actually beat these losers if they manage to beat the Pels :depressed

Don't worry, if the Spurs win and play the Wolves in the second game, KAT will go off. He averaged 35 and 14 against the Spurs this year.

Uriel
04-12-2022, 11:01 PM
Fouled out with 7 minutes to play in the 4th. Damn.

SPURt
04-12-2022, 11:09 PM
Refs love LA teams

Uriel
04-12-2022, 11:24 PM
Looks like we're playing LA after we beat New Orleans.

SPURt
04-12-2022, 11:24 PM
The Spurs are going to the playoffs, book it

Barfunk
04-12-2022, 11:26 PM
Refs love LA teams

Lol, I'm always paranoid when playing the LA teams. That 2004 series against the Lakers traumatized me, lol. And then of course there was the blatant no-call in 2008 that should've sent Brent to the line for 3 shots, but of course the refs swallowed their whistles to bail out the Birthday Cakers.

XDT76
04-13-2022, 01:23 AM
Bingo. It's kinda win win at this point.

We could lose the next game and I've already had the schadenfreude of keeping Lakers and LeBron out.

If we somehow make the playoffs, we kill the streak of missing and give the young guys good experience and confidence. If not, our draft chances improve.

If I had to choose, I'd lean towards the better pick because I don't see this team making a serious playoff run...but whatever happens happens and I'm not gonna stress over it. Basically playing with house money at this point.

As of now if we make the PO, we eliminated both LA teams.

diego
04-13-2022, 01:41 AM
As of now if we make the PO, we eliminated both LA teams.

when you put it like that, i'll be happy either way :lol

heyheymymy
04-13-2022, 01:47 AM
any other context that those are edibles?

CJ is gobbling two back to back, no way that's 10 or 20mg each and he's playing still.

Probably electrolyte gummies or something. Would love to be wrong lol

daslicer
04-13-2022, 09:05 AM
The Nets scenario (i.e., star studded rosters with injured/incomplete/recently fully healthy squads) will be something like 15% of the situations. Those will be interesting - the MEM-GSG match up last year was a case in point.

In the other 85%, i think your are right in the sense that most of the time the cluster of teams in the 7-10 range in each conference are fairly interchangeable and in the same crappiness cohort. Take out the Nets and that's the situation in the East for example (and frankly same in West depending on what you think of the Clips). If 7 and 8 are typically shit-bird teams anyway, why not introduce an element of suspense to otherwise dull 1-8 and 2-7 match ups?

I don't see the point of having the element of suspense because it's still going to more than likely result in the typical shitty not interesting battles of the 1 vs 8 and 2 vs 7. It's like trying to put lipstick on a pig.

daslicer
04-13-2022, 09:07 AM
It will really suck if the Spurs lose the 9th pick. The euphoria of getting into the playoffs will end quickly when the Suns sweep the Spurs and there will be a realization of how pointless it was to get into the playoffs.

Chomag
04-13-2022, 09:17 AM
I don't want them to win, but I'm going to cheer for them to win. It's such a weird place to be as a Spurs fan.

duncan2k5
04-13-2022, 09:20 AM
I'm predicting we handily beat the Pels... And we will also beat the Suns in 6... MARK MY WORDS!

daslicer
04-13-2022, 09:27 AM
I'm predicting we handily beat the Pels... And we will also beat the Suns in 6... MARK MY WORDS!

If you are right then beating the Suns would make up for losing the lottery pick.

MultiTroll
04-13-2022, 09:36 AM
Marked.

Uriel
04-13-2022, 09:40 AM
I actually think they should reform the play-in tournament to make it so that the draft/lottery picks stay the same, regardless of who wins the play-in tournament and makes the playoffs. Why?

Because it puts teams like us in a bizarre situation where we have incentives to lose the play-in tournament. Keeping the picks the same removes those incentives and makes the play-in tournament a true competition where all teams are fully in it to win.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-13-2022, 09:44 AM
I actually think they should reform the play-in tournament to make it so that the draft/lottery picks stay the same, regardless of who wins the play-in tournament and makes the playoffs. Why?

Because it puts teams like us in a bizarre situation where we have incentives to lose the play-in tournament. Keeping the picks the same removes those incentives and makes the play-in tournament a true competition where all teams are fully in it to win.

All teams are fully in it to win. Look at Minnesota's reactions after the game. It's only a small minority of fans on message boards who are pro-tanking.

CGD
04-13-2022, 09:53 AM
I don't see the point of having the element of suspense because it's still going to more than likely result in the typical shitty not interesting battles of the 1 vs 8 and 2 vs 7. It's like trying to put lipstick on a pig.

Fair enough, I just think it could add some intrigue and frankly a boost to a team much like the scrappy Memphis run did last year. Dont forget that in addition to beating us and GSW in dramatic fashion, they took Game 1 from Jazz. Memphis has also made a nice jump this year, and you can see a world where a NOLA (or even SA though less likely) might get a similar boost next year. Obviously we don’t have a Zion like NOLA.

The other argument for it, which I support, is using the play in as one of the tools to address the terribleness of tanking. They should sweeten the pot somehow: cash to players if 9/10 earns a berth, give better lottery pick odds, allow 9/10 to lock in there lotto positioning after the 82 game season as opposed to after play-in, etc.

MultiTroll
04-13-2022, 10:04 AM
It will really suck if the Spurs lose the 9th pick. The euphoria of getting into the playoffs will end quickly when the Suns sweep the Spurs and there will be a realization of how pointless it was to get into the playoffs.
Gregg Popovich never thought about tanking as an option for the Spurs: ‘It’s not who I am’ (msn.com) (https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/gregg-popovich-never-thought-about-tanking-as-an-option-for-the-spurs-e2-80-98it-e2-80-99s-not-who-i-am-e2-80-99/ar-AAW4MjO?ocid=uxbndlbing&msclkid=4c8222d1bb3a11ecbc92c8c55b83ebfd)

:lol 1997 Pop holds out David Robinson. It's exactly who you are.

look_at_g_shred
04-13-2022, 10:16 AM
I'm sure this was covered already but i'll ask anyway. If we beat the pelicans but lose to the Clippers do we jump to the 10th best lottery odds or stay in 9th?

Mugen
04-13-2022, 10:26 AM
Please god let the Pelis win :lol

exstatic
04-13-2022, 10:36 AM
Gregg Popovich never thought about tanking as an option for the Spurs: ‘It’s not who I am’ (msn.com) (https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/gregg-popovich-never-thought-about-tanking-as-an-option-for-the-spurs-e2-80-98it-e2-80-99s-not-who-i-am-e2-80-99/ar-AAW4MjO?ocid=uxbndlbing&msclkid=4c8222d1bb3a11ecbc92c8c55b83ebfd)

:lol 1997 Spurs hold out David Robinson.

If you followed the rest of DRob's career from 97-03, you would acknowledge that he was never the same after the cascade of injuries that started with the '96 Olympics, and ended with his fractured foot in December.

exstatic
04-13-2022, 10:42 AM
I'm sure this was covered already but i'll ask anyway. If we beat the pelicans but lose to the Clippers do we jump to the 10th best lottery odds or stay in 9th?

The only change in draft position is if you play in, or get knocked out of your playoff position. If you play in, you lose your lottery pick, and in our case, we would pick 15th. If any team gets knocked out, except the Clippers, they would be slotted as position #14 for the draft lottery selection process. By virtue of their record being worse that Atlanta and Charlotte, the Clippers would be slotted 12th.

MultiTroll
04-13-2022, 10:42 AM
If you followed the rest of DRob's career from 97-03, you would acknowledge that he was never the same after the cascade of injuries that started with the '96 Olympics, and ended with his fractured foot in December.
Ya just horrible.
On June 15, 2003, in the finale of Robinson's career, the Spurs won another NBA title with an 88–77 victory over the New Jersey Nets (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_Nets) in Game 6 of the 2003 NBA Finals (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_NBA_Finals). During this game, Robinson scored 13 points, as well as getting 17 rebounds, this was also the final game of his career and for the San Antonio Spurs

Did Greg Pop tank in 1997?
Yes or No?

exstatic
04-13-2022, 10:47 AM
Ya just horrible.
On June 15, 2003, in the finale of Robinson's career, the Spurs won another NBA title with an 88–77 victory over the New Jersey Nets (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_Nets) in Game 6 of the 2003 NBA Finals (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_NBA_Finals). During this game, Robinson scored 13 points, as well as getting 17 rebounds, this was also the final game of his career and for the San Antonio Spurs

Did Greg Pop tank in 1997?
Yes or No?

No. The Spurs set a then record of about 280 player games missed that season. Sean missed half with his chronic quad tendonitis. David missed his time with the sport hernia and the broken foot. AJ missed a big chunk, but they brought him back towards the end, and won like 6 of 8. If they were tanking, don't you think they would have just shut AJ down?

Yes, David had a nice last game. Now, look at the season. He played 64/82 games, 26 minutes, and averaged 8.5p/7.9r.

The Truth #6
04-13-2022, 11:11 AM
Incentives to players could be interesting I suppose, but I don't think players ever tank. They are rightfully too worried about their stats and careers, though of course some players lack motivation, but I don't see that as tanking. Tanking is an organizational decision affected by player acquisitions and rotations, and of course, chronic idiocy by some team owners, but that's maybe not the same as tanking but it ends up in the same place, I suppose.

R. DeMurre
04-13-2022, 12:13 PM
Incentives to players could be interesting I suppose, but I don't think players ever tank. They are rightfully too worried about their stats and careers, though of course some players lack motivation, but I don't see that as tanking. Tanking is an organizational decision affected by player acquisitions and rotations, and of course, chronic idiocy by some team owners, but that's maybe not the same as tanking but it ends up in the same place, I suppose.

The one guy I remember blatantly tanking is Vince Carter in '05. He wanted out of Toronto and he averaged 15 ppg that year, after averaging 24 ppg the year before, and 27 per with the Nets after he got traded. A good friend of mine visited Carter's restaurant in Florida a few years later, and when the meal was over he asked, "do we pay the bill at the hostess stand, or should we just... mail it in?" Still one of my all time favorite basketball related jokes!

The Truth #6
04-13-2022, 12:25 PM
The one guy I remember blatantly tanking is Vince Carter in '05. He wanted out of Toronto and he averaged 15 ppg that year, after averaging 24 ppg the year before, and 27 per with the Nets after he got traded. A good friend of mine visited Carter's restaurant in Florida a few years later, and when the meal was over he asked, "do we pay the bill at the hostess stand, or should we just... mail it in?" Still one of my all time favorite basketball related jokes!

Great story! Yeah, how to best categorize players sabotaging their play to get moved. Sandbagging?

The Truth #6
04-13-2022, 12:34 PM
Fair enough, I just think it could add some intrigue and frankly a boost to a team much like the scrappy Memphis run did last year. Dont forget that in addition to beating us and GSW in dramatic fashion, they took Game 1 from Jazz. Memphis has also made a nice jump this year, and you can see a world where a NOLA (or even SA though less likely) might get a similar boost next year. Obviously we don’t have a Zion like NOLA.

The other argument for it, which I support, is using the play in as one of the tools to address the terribleness of tanking. They should sweeten the pot somehow: cash to players if 9/10 earns a berth, give better lottery pick odds, allow 9/10 to lock in there lotto positioning after the 82 game season as opposed to after play-in, etc.

The league needs to brainstorm this as well. To me, it's an embarrassing situation.

Here's a random idea. Get rid of the play in tournament and have a tournament for all the non play off teams. Basically, all the shitty teams. Have a tournament for them and whoever wins gets the top draft pick, so it still rewards winning and NOT losing. Not sure if players would get motivated, but the organizations would if winning got them a better draft position. It seems counter-intuitive and of course has its own challenges, but that's my preferred way of handling the extreme tanking. Fans should always want their team to win. Having to root for losing is inherently weird.

TDomination
04-13-2022, 12:36 PM
so is this the game thread?
i'm actually pumped about this game, curious to see how this young team reacts playing on National TV, playoff atmosphere game on the road.

GAustex
04-13-2022, 09:14 PM
He doesn’t turn the ball over much under any circumstances. What he does is go hero ball, and start chucking up contested turnaround jumpers instead of going to the rack or passing it.
First play of the game
Turnover
Then stupid foul

Robz4000
04-13-2022, 11:02 PM
Spurs - 102
Pels - 113

One point off tbh.