PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Bowen displaying total package

Kori Ellis
11-29-2005, 03:57 AM
Bowen displaying total package

Web Posted: 11/29/2005 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA112905.1D.BKNspurs.bowen.8a8a696.html

Most of the Spurs had already filed onto the bus for the ride back to the team's hotel in downtown Sacramento last week as Bruce Bowen pulled off his warm-up top and went to work.

While a handful of other stragglers lined up for a shooting drill on the opposite end of the court, Bowen paired off with Spurs assistant coach Brett Brown. With Brown passing him the ball, Bowen took a series of 3-pointers from the left corner.
Bowen did the same from the left wing. He practiced one- and two-dribble pull-up jump shots. Then he repeated the entire routine from the right side of the floor.

The Spurs didn't have to wait long to see the results of Bowen's workout.

Eleven hours later, with the Sacramento Kings having cut the Spurs' lead to four and only 1:30 remaining, Manu Ginobili swung a pass to the corner. Feet set, hands at the ready, Bowen received the ball and released a 3-pointer that settled into the net. The shot proved to be the difference in the team's 96-93 victory.

"Bruce is smart," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, "at understanding what he does best."

What Bowen still does best is defend. But this season, no one has been better behind the 3-point line. Through 13 games, he's made 21 of 34 3-point attempts, an NBA-high 61.8 percent.

Bowen missed only one of his five attempts during Wednesday's rout of Golden State and is 7 for 11 in the past three games. Four times this season, he's scored 12 points on eight shots or fewer — an efficient performance for someone who rarely gets to the free-throw line.

More often than not, Bowen has made defenders pay for leaving him to cut off Tony Parker or double-team Tim Duncan. Because Parker has penetrated into the lane so successfully this season, Chicago coach Scott Skiles thinks teams have to get the ball out of his hands sooner to allow defenders time to close out on Bowen and the Spurs' other shooters.

"It's like sometimes they forget (Parker) has an outlet and can kick it to me, Bowen said. "There have been times where my defender has actually turned his back and looked at Tony, and he just whips (the ball) past (the defender's) head to me."

After Bowen made a league-high 44.1 percent of his 3-pointers three seasons ago, opposing teams made a greater effort to run at him. To counter, he has worked to improve his in-between game.

Bowen doesn't always look pretty when putting the ball on the floor, but his pull-up jump shot and penetrate-and-pass ability have gradually improved. And because he's often positioned in the corner, where he can be pinned against the sideline, he has had to learn to read the defense and make a quick decision on whether to shoot or drive.

"It always happens early in the year when I have problems from time to time," he said.

Bowen hasn't missed often when he has opted to shoot. The coaches attribute his success to not only his work ethic but also his willingness to accept his role.

Popovich compares him to former Spurs point guard Avery Johnson, who became an efficient mid-range shooter by sticking to his comfort spots: the baseline and the elbows of the lane.

Bowen is at his best when spotting up in the corner. He will attempt an occasional 3-pointer from the wing, but rarely, if ever, has he shot from above the key. He's also become more effective finishing on the break.

"Sometimes you might do something that's so-called 'out of character,' but you don't want to get into the habit of it," Bowen said. "Now, you're starting to mess with chemistry, and the coaches may not like it. Then, when you do get (a shot) you normally have, you're mulling over something the coach may have said, and you lose your concentration."

To prepare, Bowen keeps the same routine on game days. If the team is at home, he arrives at the practice facility an hour before shootaround to work out with Brown. If the Spurs are on the road, he stays after most of the team has headed back to the hotel.

During the summer, Bowen recruits family members to rebound for him. Sometimes, he strategically positions chairs as imaginary defenders. Almost always, he limits his workouts to practicing the same shots he expects to get in a game.

"If you're not a featured guy, why work out as if you're going to get the ball 25 times?" Bowen said. "It doesn't make too much sense when that's not your role."

Notebook: The Spurs released rookie guard Alex Scales after Monday's practice.

Scales signed with the team Nov. 17. His only appearance lasted nine seconds in a 97-91 victory over Phoenix on Nov. 19. After Michael Finley and Brent Barry recently returned from injuries, the Spurs weren't as concerned about their depth.

The Spurs have 13 players on their roster. They do not have immediate plans to replace Scales.

ShoogarBear
11-29-2005, 06:37 AM
Popovich compares him to former Spurs point guard Avery Johnson,

I guess that makes Bruce Mussolini.

50 cent
11-29-2005, 10:57 AM
:tu

Bruce is awesome. If he keeps up that percentage, he will shatter the record for 3 point shooting %.

spurschick
11-29-2005, 01:40 PM
The title of this article is rather amusing. I wonder if Ludden thinks that Bowen has a "nice package" :lol

caŽlo
11-29-2005, 01:48 PM
lol @ spurschick! hehe..

The Artest Factor
11-29-2005, 02:55 PM
I've posted this before, but if you go to Bowen's Yahoo profile at http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3167 and look at the "Forward Comparisons" to the right, you'll clearly see Bowen is one of the worst overall starters in the entire league.
NBA Average Bowens Average NBA Leader

MPG: 27.1 33.0 40.2
PPG: 9.1 7.5 28.4
RPG: 4.7 2.9 12.7
APG: 1.4 1.6 6.1

Ao in signifigantly more MPG, Bowen is a below average scorer, rebounder, and passer. His D is also questionable as I see him get lit up on a regular basis. The only thing I'll give him is his high 3%, however that should not only come down a lot, but it's also evened out by his terrible FT% (50%! WTF?)

Bruce Bowen = Michael Curry

tlongII
11-29-2005, 03:47 PM
Bowen sucks.

leemajors
11-29-2005, 03:47 PM
patterson sucks worse.

Bloodline666
11-29-2005, 03:51 PM
patterson sucks worse.
Wasn't Patterson one of those..err, umm...Jail Blazers?

Chris
11-29-2005, 06:34 PM
Patterson was the self titled "Kobe-Stopper" who played for the Celtics a few years ago.

ShoogarBear
11-29-2005, 06:36 PM
The title of this article is rather amusing. I wonder if Ludden thinks that Bowen has a "nice package" :lol

pottymouth

Spurminator
11-29-2005, 06:38 PM
I was arrested the last time I displayed my total package.

Fucking tattletale kids.

spurs=bling
11-29-2005, 07:31 PM
Bowen sucks.

WTF???

ambchang
11-29-2005, 07:52 PM
patterson sucks worse.
not only that, he forced somebody else to suck too ...

SA210
11-29-2005, 08:24 PM
Bruce is awsome. For about 3 years now, I've worn a #12 jersey when I play basketball, because I'll shut u down. :tu

strangeweather
11-29-2005, 11:22 PM
patterson sucks worse.

Is there anyone on the Blazers roster that's better than Bowen?

Randolph is a team destroying headcase, Miles has bombed in several cities now, and about the only other guy they've got who can play at all is Telfair, the high school kid with no J.

Bloodline666
11-30-2005, 03:58 AM
Is there anyone on the Blazers roster that's better than Bowen?

Randolph is a team destroying headcase, Miles has bombed in several cities now, and about the only other guy they've got who can play at all is Telfair, the high school kid with no J.
And, Portland's got only like, two "Jail Blazers" left on their roster. Nate McMillan is pretty much the team's only hope now.