PDA

View Full Version : What key players need to work on in the off-season

duncan2k5
04-14-2022, 01:13 AM
What do u want key Spurs players to work on?

Murray- work on driving the ball downhill into the paint to suck in the defense and open things up for teammates... He needs to work on attacking the rim period... He is too much of a side to side player that relies on his mid-range

Tre- his 3 point shot

Walker- his confidence and defense

Keldon- needs to be a SF, and work on his in-between game

Vassel- ball handling and attacking the rim

Primo- aggression and 3 point shot

Kurik
04-14-2022, 01:18 AM
Walker - Find a new team

Kurik
04-14-2022, 01:18 AM
Walker - Find a new team

ZeusWillJudge
04-14-2022, 01:31 AM

Murray- work on driving the ball downhill into the paint to suck in the defense and open things up for teammates... He needs to work on attacking the rim period... He is too much of a side to side player that relies on his mid-range

Tre- his 3 point shot

I have to admit, by the end of the season I was happier with Vassell than I expected to be. Getting some time as a starter really helped him. I think Keldon (and the team) would be better if he had gotten that opportunity in his rookie season.

Primo is still 19, and just starting to look like he's not a high school kid. I agree with what you said, but I couldn't expect a lot more out of him. Watching him get blitzed this evening, I actually remembered Sam Cassell's first playoff game. He was older, and on a MUCH better team, but his eyes looked like saucers, and he had a nearly-empty stat line. But by the end of that series he was looking like he belonged. I think Primo would have done better if it was a best of 3 series.

Texas_Ranger
04-14-2022, 01:59 AM
The Spurs dont have any "key" players.

XDT76
04-14-2022, 02:05 AM

Tre- his 3 point shot

Murray needs to work on his 3s, if he continue to goes after rebound then he needs to let someone else be the lead scorer, it is almost impossible to do everything at a high level efficently.

KJ needs to lose some pounds, improve his lateral speed and improve his handling.

Walker if still on roster needs to turn himself to be the main scorer of the team he seems to have the physicality and ability when he is on. He should be the one to draw attention so that the rest can do they things. We have no one that can attack and score when the other team clamps down.

Vassell needs to continue to improve his 3 level scoring saw some moves from him that I like and did not expect from him.

We need a PF with length and do not give me shit that a 6'5 can be a PF with good standing reach a 6'9 with the same body ratio will win every single time. Show me a 6'5 PF that is better than Giannis or Durant.

duncan2k5
04-14-2022, 03:10 AM
Murray needs to work on his 3s, if he continue to goes after rebound then he needs to let someone else be the lead scorer, it is almost impossible to do everything at a high level efficently.

KJ needs to lose some pounds, improve his lateral speed and improve his handling.

Walker if still on roster needs to turn himself to be the main scorer of the team he seems to have the physicality and ability when he is on. He should be the one to draw attention so that the rest can do they things. We have no one that can attack and score when the other team clamps down.

Vassell needs to continue to improve his 3 level scoring saw some moves from him that I like and did not expect from him.

We need a PF with length and do not give me shit that a 6'5 can be a PF with good standing reach a 6'9 with the same body ratio will win every single time. Show me a 6'5 PF that is better than Giannis or Durant.

I've been saying forever, small ball doesn't win rings... You have to be a big team... Big teams have won the overwhelming majority of rings, even in this era

KingKev
04-14-2022, 03:17 AM
^ we also are missing something else important…. TALENT.

Elementis
04-14-2022, 03:43 AM

Show me a 6'9 PF better than Giannis or Durant (just to be realistic about expectations..)

rankingtear
04-14-2022, 03:59 AM
I've been saying forever, small ball doesn't win rings... You have to be a big team... Big teams have won the overwhelming majority of rings, even in this era

DJ for Simmons?

KingKev
04-14-2022, 04:17 AM
DJ for Simmons?

NO.

XDT76
04-14-2022, 05:09 AM
Show me a 6'9 PF better than Giannis or Durant (just to be realistic about expectations..)

There isn't cos they are even taller than 6'9. My point is PF needs length and there are people arguing 6'5 or 6'6 PF are good even, you can quote anyone who is even shorter than 6'5 or 6'6 to prove me wrong.

BackHome
04-14-2022, 05:10 AM
I wouldn’t trade Forbes for Simmons and he is not even in our team. Lol

Allan Rowe vs Wade
04-14-2022, 06:58 AM

Show me a 7'2 PF better than Giannis or Durant

Elementis
04-14-2022, 07:39 AM
Show me a 7'2 PF better than Giannis or Durant

Show me any PF better than Giannis or Durant. makes no sense to apply a size restriction when asking for something that doesn't exist.

Big Empty
04-14-2022, 07:39 AM
Johnson is solid, but too sloppy & slow to go up against allstar PFs, i agree he needs to slim down & be a sf. Pelicans defense was smothering else, watch out for them they have shooting AND size. We need to find our 6’9/6’10 Brandon Ingram. The Lakers gave up a ton for LeBron lol. It sucks for us McCollumn had a career half but it happens…we coulda used DMs defense. Vassel & Smith keep. They are solid. Walker can walk i agree with that. I hope to God we get lucky & get a top 4 pick there are 3 solid pf’s that can help right away.

KingKev
04-14-2022, 07:44 AM
Johnson is solid, but too sloppy & slow to go up against allstar PFs, i agree he needs to slim down & be a sf. Pelicans defense was smothering else, watch out for them they have shooting AND size. We need to find our 6’9/6’10 Brandon Ingram. The Lakers gave up a ton for LeBron lol. It sucks for us McCollumn had a career half but it happens…we coulda used DMs defense. Vassel & Smith keep. They are solid. Walker can walk i agree with that. I hope to God we get lucky & get a top 4 pick there are 3 solid pf’s that can help right away.

Who is Smith?

John B
04-14-2022, 09:59 AM

Tre- his 3 point shot

I agree mostly.

1. DJ needs to get stronger and to attack the rim with contact. Get to the FT line when needed. I rather he doesn’t gamble too much for a steal, but instead become more of a lockdown defender, and staying in front of his guy. I think DJ can still improve very much on defense,

2. Tre, his 3 point shot. And maybe add a spin move ala TP. Tre is deceptively athletic. He has recorded a 40” vertical. I really think he’s just starting to scratch the surface on becoming a good-to-great starting PG and not just a backup,

3. Lonnie. Agree, confidence and defense. Again, he’s probably the most athletic player in the team. Pop tried him to become a facilitator. He is not. I think he needs to just be on attack mode all-the-time. I think that best suit his skills, a spark off the bench,

4. Keldon, hmmmm a lot. It might not be popular to many posters in here. But Keldon might not be a starter, but a spark and wreck havoc off the bench. I think we all agree, Keldon is not a starting PF. He gives up too much size, rim protection, rebound at that position. Poeltl needs help on that position. UNLESS Keldon can seamlessly slide in the SF position, move fast enough to cover the faster SF and guards. If not, I think J-Rich could very well fit that 3-and-D role,

5. Vassell. Just continue what he’s doing. Maybe put in some more weight and muscles to effectively attack the rim with contact. I like him to start working on some post moves. This team desperately needs a goto scorer especially when games slow down. He has high enough jumpers to shoot over a fadeaway ala Kobe/MJ, sucks defenders on a post, and willingly pass to an open teammate. Pop gave Kawhi that Kobe tape to work over the off-season. I think Vassell has much more potential than Kawhi ever had offensively. But he needs to pack in some muscles. Devin cannot just be a slasher and shooter. Devin needs to explore ALL facets of scoring the basket. He could very well be the most important player of this team,

6. Primo. A lot. The good thing is, this kid is not afraid. He believes he belong, doesn’t get rattled, lives for the moment and not afraid to let it fly. He needs to pack in at about 25 lbs of muscle. He needs to be stronger and not pushed around. Defense and shooting the ball for now to get him regular minutes.

7. Zollins. I’m very happy with this gamble, and already paying off as a credible backup big. I think he can offer a lot more as he continue to get stronger. I’m not giving up hope that he can get his speed back and maybe play a starting PF besides Poeltl.

8. Poeltl. I’m not the biggest fan. I think he has improved a lot, but more what to be expected for a starting center. He needs to continue improving his FT to 60% or better. He needs to improve his on-man defense and not get overwhelmed by a credible big, stand his ground and have more dog in him. I think his center of gravity is weak as he gets pushed around by bigger and peskier bigs. He tends to overhelp (a lot) and leaves his man for a devastating dunk or ally op. I sincerely hope pairing him with a good size PF help. Because easily, Duren as a rookie could be an upgrade, and I don’t really like to use my lottery pick for Duren.

Inserting Banchero, Chet, Smith, Keegan at 4 would be ideal IF we’re so lucky
Ivey, I like but would require several more moves.

ZeusWillJudge
04-14-2022, 11:56 AM
The Spurs dont have any "key" players.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Faminoapps.com%2Fc%2Fjackstauber% 2Fpage%2Fitem%2Fbroken-record%2Fz6bG_KqbcwIYDxkkjwDkQb0e2wWDn2oXr8m&psig=AOvVaw1F-mPnio5IpNiDmBgrtLkP&ust=1650041468761000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAwQjRxqFwoTCPjA486BlPcCFQAAAAAdAAAAABBv
https://pa1.narvii.com/7400/41118f3e30ec576152bdb2950187c14be02736f4r1-400-225_hq.gif :D

R. DeMurre
04-14-2022, 12:01 PM
The key players who need to work on things this off season are Brian Wright and RC Buford.

TD 21
04-14-2022, 05:13 PM
The most important internal development is whether Johnson can improve his handle and agility enough to get by as a starting three and secondary creator.

Unless you buy that they might luck into Banchero, they're presumably going to bring in a starting four who doesn't possess the latter skill, so it's either that or virtually all creative burden falls on Murray from day one.

jjspur
04-14-2022, 05:41 PM
You could say that the spurs over achieved a bit this season considering some had the spurs winning only 25-30 games. We were only slightly better than last year but we now considered a young team rather than an over paid team with over the hill talent.

That being said, they have four draft picks and cap space. Of course they wont use all four picks and the cap space, but its there to use. If they use some common sense and not waste cap space on washed up vets like the lakers did, or trade our valuable picks just to move up one or two spots up in the draft, we may make another incremental increase in wins. No way we improve 20 plus games like we did when Robinson showed up, but maybe a 8-10 win difference could be possible. If the spurs make some good decisions, we could be looking at a playoff spot rather than vying for a play in tournament spot. Now that would be a real improvement for this team.

Chinook
04-15-2022, 03:11 PM
Murray: Catch-and-shoot game. I know he keeps getting better every year, but I don't think he's shown too much as an iso scorer. He just got more opportunities. I don't think he's a "real" star who can tip a series, and I hope he develops as a complimentary player who can synergize with better scorers.

Tre: Yeah, basically just shooting. I don't think he's a lock for a rotation spot, but I also don't think the Spurs have to upgrade from him this year. They should draft his replacement for depth, but he's a fine player.

Walker: Consistency. He has all of the tools but can't keep his energy up. Hopefully he can get his back right too. It's clear he's the most talented natural scorer on the roster now. Unless the team brings in a very good free agent, I don't see a way you can't re-up him and hope he can play the whole year like he closed out the season.

Keldon: He needs to work on his floor game. I don't think he'll be a wing, but he should tech into being a microwave/glass-cannon player rather than a rugged defensive player Pop wanted him to be. There's no shame in not being a great defender, but he's a liability who'll need to be hidden in the front court.

Vassell: I like him and the way he's developing now. I didn't like the emphasis on his floor game last summer, but I think he's three-and-D chops have started to catch up. I want him to keep working on that first, because like Murray, I'd like to see Vassell play off a more talented scorer and not just always try to "get his". He also needs to get smarter on defense. He has instincts and athleticism, but he'll need to hone those into a more effective package.

Primo: He needs to work on getting shots to fall in against NBA physicality. That's both adjusting his angles and getting tougher against contact.

dbestpro
04-15-2022, 04:02 PM
Keldon needs to work on growing 3-4 inches.

RC_Drunkford
04-15-2022, 05:06 PM
Murray: 3-point shooting, off the dribble 3s

Vassell: Dribbling, in between game

Keldon: midrange, post moves, lateral movement on defense

Zach Collins: try to get his athleticism back

Primo: handles, playmaking

Walker (if back): getting to the rim, defense, shooting off the dribble

Tre Jones: 3-point shot

Poeltl: free throws