PDA

View Full Version : Stein: Pop Likely To Return For At Least One More Season; Hardy Could Be Front Of Line Otherwise

TD 21
04-14-2022, 05:40 PM
I’ve nonetheless believed for much of the season, like some in Spurs circles closer to the situation than me, that Pop will return for at least one more season, (https://marcstein.substack.com/p/coachings-no-1-mystery-continues?token=eyJ1c2VyX2lkIjoxNjkxNTY4LCJwb3N0X2 lkIjo1MjIyMDE5NywiXyI6IlpRTStlIiwiaWF0IjoxNjQ5OTYw ODg1LCJleHAiOjE2NDk5NjQ0ODUsImlzcyI6InB1Yi0zOTIyMD UiLCJzdWIiOiJwb3N0LXJlYWN0aW9uIn0.e3rhRWoD_91VATLo mSWZr-_rYY1okH0S_zEwRIuVmr0&s=r) because he still loves this job and needs to be in the gym. These Spurs are the youngest team he’s had since was coaching Division III college ball. And Pop loves teaching so, so much … even more than he detests in-game visits to his bench from sideline reporters

My best read, at this juncture, is that Boston Celtics assistant coach Will Hardy could well be at the front of the line to succeed Popovich if Pop steps down this offseason and the club finds itself needing to make an immediate hire. (https://marcstein.substack.com/p/coachings-no-1-mystery-continues?token=eyJ1c2VyX2lkIjoxNjkxNTY4LCJwb3N0X2 lkIjo1MjIyMDE5NywiXyI6IlpRTStlIiwiaWF0IjoxNjQ5OTYw ODg1LCJleHAiOjE2NDk5NjQ0ODUsImlzcyI6InB1Yi0zOTIyMD UiLCJzdWIiOiJwb3N0LXJlYWN0aW9uIn0.e3rhRWoD_91VATLo mSWZr-_rYY1okH0S_zEwRIuVmr0&s=r) With Becky Hammon off to the WNBA’s Las Vegas Aces — she actually left the Spurs this week before the New Orleans game to start her new job — San Antonio wouldn’t face near the scrutiny or criticism it might have by selecting someone from the assistant ranks other than Hammon to take over.

SAGirl
04-14-2022, 05:52 PM
Interesting. I also think he comes back. There used to be a time I thought he would retire but we are well past it and Becky and others moving on gives me a reading of the tea leaves that he still has enough desire to keep coaching and is healthy enough for a regular season grind.

lmbebo
04-14-2022, 05:58 PM
Don't blame Becky for leaving. I think she'll do great in her new job. If I had the opportunity to make the decision on the new HC, she'd be top of the list.

Don't know what to think of Hardy. Think its a non-issue at this juncture. Pop doesn't look to be slowing down.

KingKev
04-14-2022, 06:03 PM
Pop is making 5mm a year with no accountability for losing. Why wouldn’t he milk this. At this point he is as much of a deterrent as he is a draw for any semi established player. I genuinely believe most young players who have some pedigree have no interest in playing for him with his antiquated ways.

BatManu20
04-14-2022, 06:04 PM
Can we get Ime Udoka back instead tbh.

BatManu20
04-14-2022, 06:08 PM
Pop is making 5mm a year with no accountability for losing. Why wouldn’t he milk this. At this point he is as much of a deterrent as he is a draw for any semi established player. I genuinely believe most young players who have some pedigree have no interest in playing for him with his antiquated ways.

$5M..? Try $11.5M/per brotha. Highest paid coach in NBA history.

KingKev
04-14-2022, 06:12 PM
[B]

$5M..? Try $11.5M/per brotha.

Oh man. He deserves to get taken care of on the way out for all he has done for our franchise but yikes there is a mis-alignment of interests at this point.

The Truth #6
04-14-2022, 06:22 PM
Hardy? I don’t know. These successor articles come out every year and have been wrong every time. I guess it’s possible. I eas expecting something more woke, so to speak.

tonight...you
04-14-2022, 06:29 PM
Hardy? I don’t know. These successor articles come out every year and have been wrong every time. I guess it’s possible. I eas expecting something more woke, so to speak.
Spurs hire Khloe Kardashian as Gregg Popovich's successor citing her as someone who could attract free agents.

The Truth #6
04-14-2022, 06:31 PM
Spurs hire Khloe Kardashian as Gregg Popovich's successor citing her as someone who could attract free agents.
Ándale!

SAGirl
04-14-2022, 07:46 PM
I’ve missed this kind of funny posts. Thanks!

spurs1990
04-14-2022, 08:42 PM
I’ll retire when Duncan retires
Then I’ll stick around through Aldridge’s tenure

This guy is never leaving

BackHome
04-14-2022, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I figured he would stay one more year he has the desire plus I don't think he wants the look that he just staid to get the record so staying one more year makes sense.

baseline bum
04-14-2022, 09:15 PM
I think Pop would have retired a couple of years ago if Erin hadn't passed, but without her maybe he doesn't see a whole lot of point to retiring and would rather stick around doing something he loves and is great at.

daslicer
04-14-2022, 09:17 PM
He's a huge ego maniac plus he doesn't have anything to live for outside of basketball since the passing of his wife. He's going to coach until he dies.

poopbox
04-14-2022, 09:27 PM
The old man is going to coach until we see literally shit stains in his diapers through his pants tbh:depressed

BacktoBasics
04-14-2022, 09:42 PM

Why do you constantly have shitty antagonist takes. He’s “milking” it now? That’s a dumb fucking leap of bullshit.

Todays style of coaches for the most part are failing left and right. Players lacking accountability and a sense of team. Meanwhile Pop has taken a subpar squad nearly into the playoffs while playing team ball.

Not to say I’m not open to change but I 100% believe that most “modern” none antiquated coaches like you’re suggesting wouldn’t have this team playing any better.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
04-14-2022, 09:50 PM
say what you will about roster construction which can be laid at pop's feet ... but i feel that with the personnel he was given, this season may have been one of pop's finest coaching jobs

to put it another way, these guys are not very good. it is a miracle they finished better than bron-bron's lakers

Uriel
04-14-2022, 11:41 PM
Bill Self. Quinn Snyder. Now Will Hardy.

FutureMan
04-14-2022, 11:53 PM
I bet whoever coaches after Pop will just be a middle man while the team does some serious tanking. Hardy would work fine. He could move on to another franchise after those tanking seasons. Then Ginobili or a more prominent coach can step in once we have a true franchise player.

John B
04-15-2022, 12:10 AM
With what he helped brought to the city of San Antonio and to the Spurs, Pop can coach as long as he wants imo :bobo

John B
04-15-2022, 12:18 AM
say what you will about roster construction which can be laid at pop's feet ... but i feel that with the personnel he was given, this season may have been one of pop's finest coaching jobs

to put it another way, these guys are not very good. it is a miracle they finished better than bron-bron's lakers

It’s The Beautiful Game for me. The big 3 past their prime and an unassuming sophomore, plus international players, to send the prime Banana Boat packing. That took a lot of tweaking to execute to perfection. That 2014 team could be one of the best “team effort” displayed by a team ever in any sports.

HemisfairArena
04-15-2022, 02:33 AM
Popovich's record over the last 3 years is 99-126 and he missed the playoffs all 3 years. Even you Popo apologists cant hide from that ugly truth,,,,the dude is overrated and exposed and will never make the playoffs again.

KingKev
04-15-2022, 07:00 AM

Easily his best year of coaching since probably 2016-17.

cjw
04-15-2022, 07:41 AM
Popovich's record over the last 3 years is 99-126 and he missed the playoffs all 3 years. Even you Popo apologists cant hide from that ugly truth,,,,the dude is overrated and exposed and will never make the playoffs again.

That is a 36 win pace for a team that many each year picked to be at or near the bottom of the west. He’s overachieved with this roster, and it’ll only get better as the investments in the future start paying off. Cap room plus three first round picks plus core getting a year older.

cjw
04-15-2022, 07:41 AM

That is a 36 win pace for a team that many each year picked to be at or near the bottom of the west. He’s overachieved with this roster, and it’ll only get better as the investments in the future start paying off. Cap room plus three first round picks plus core getting a year older.

NASpurs
04-15-2022, 08:33 AM
Greaaaat...

We'll probably see the same headline next year as well.

baseline bum
04-15-2022, 09:45 AM
LOL a bunch of idiots who pretended to be Spurs fans throwing a franchise legend under the bus because they find Trumps racism, rants, and constant whining and victimhood emotionally fulfilling. So pathetic to choose a lying piece of shit who tried to ignore the election results and overthrow our government over the greatest coach this franchise ever had or likely will ever have.

jjspur
04-15-2022, 10:01 AM
No one will move Pop out until he decides he wants out, unless he has a stoke yelling at a rookie. He takes a long vacation after that, then he retires.

offset formation
04-15-2022, 10:41 AM

I've been on record for 2 years I wanted Ime first, then Will.

Ime is showing what he can do in less than a year compared to Brad Stevens. I'm hopeful Will is cut from the same cloth with all the positive aspects of Pop with fewer of his old school stuff, like not playing rookies much or at all.

offset formation
04-15-2022, 10:42 AM
LOL a bunch of idiots who pretended to be Spurs fans throwing a franchise legend under the bus because they find Trumps racism, rants, and constant whining and victimhood emotionally fulfilling. So pathetic to choose a lying piece of shit who tried to ignore the election results and overthrow our government over the greatest coach this franchise ever had or likely will ever have.

MAGA has no bottom. Human trash, one and all.

MultiTroll
04-15-2022, 11:25 AM
Greaaaat...

Stein, like it's some deep insider revelation. :lol

Pop will keep going at least 4 more years imo.

slick'81
04-15-2022, 12:39 PM
No surprise at all. Ill be shocked if he is extended but pop was always playing out that 3 year deal

Chomag
04-15-2022, 03:37 PM
Pop will only leave if he is fired....so yeah he ain't ever leaving.

He's in a job where Managment and local media will not dare question and hold him accountable for anything so I don't blame him at all.:lol

dbestpro
04-15-2022, 03:59 PM
Pop has the Spurs stuck in groundhog day as a sub .500 team.

RC_Drunkford
04-15-2022, 06:09 PM
I'm a Pop critic, but had no problem with his coaching this season. I ain't mad if he's back

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-16-2022, 02:22 AM
While Pop hasn’t been super sharp with his in game coaching for a while, he’s actually been damn good at developing young players, which is ultimately the most important thing for a small market rebuilding team. Almost everyone on the roster has improved and the ones who stalled were trade fodder at the deadline - White and Walker. It shows they were actively evaluating the roster throughout the year and will perhaps continue to be very aggressive with reshaping it considering the picks and cap flexibility.

Spurs, like most other teams, have no clear path to contending for a title in the next 3-5 years but they’re doing well walking the line between developing, gathering assets and constantly re-evaluating what they have.

SequSpur
04-19-2022, 11:18 PM
Why do you constantly have shitty antagonist takes. He’s “milking” it now? That’s a dumb fucking leap of bullshit.

Todays style of coaches for the most part are failing left and right. Players lacking accountability and a sense of team. Meanwhile Pop has taken a subpar squad nearly into the playoffs while playing team ball.

Not to say I’m not open to change but I 100% believe that most “modern” none antiquated coaches like you’re suggesting wouldn’t have this team playing any better.
Umm no he didn’t. This Spurs team sucks ass and it’s because of him.

KingKev
04-20-2022, 03:46 AM

Pop was terrible during the DDR era but this year he seemed to turn it around a tad atleast. Without Pop this team would have been bottom 3 for sure, I actually could see us finally bottoming out when the new coach takes the reigns and we can hopefully get a top pick.

exstatic
04-20-2022, 08:32 AM

You obviously can’t see what’s going on. Can I get you a booster seat?

Mr. Body
04-20-2022, 10:58 AM
A lot of really shitty takes in here.

the golden era
04-20-2022, 03:57 PM
A lot of really shitty takes in here.
Seriously, this is an absolutely terrible thread. Every team the league with the exception of maybe clippers, heat and Toronto would dump their coach and hire pop in a minute if he was available. Idiots

rjv
04-20-2022, 04:18 PM
fuck all the haters, bring the GOAT back.

spurs1990
04-20-2022, 04:30 PM
Not sure if anyone is following the Bobcats but Willie Green is looking to be an exceptional coach particular in his personal convictions. San Antonio would be lucky to find a former player with the similar vein as Green. Could be Udoka as a first thought. He strikes me a humble, team first coach who can adapt to the new playing styles. The other pop tree guys probably are unattainable due to having foundational players with very long shelf lives- Bud, Snyder, Monty.

KingKev
04-20-2022, 04:52 PM
Not sure if anyone is following the Bobcats but Willie Green is looking to be an exceptional coach particular in his personal convictions. San Antonio would be lucky to find a former player with the similar vein as Green. Could be Udoka as a first thought. He strikes me a humble, team first coach who can adapt to the new playing styles. The other pop tree guys probably are unattainable due to having foundational players with very long shelf lives- Bud, Snyder, Monty.

Udoka has a MUCH better chair. It feels like PATFO dropped the ball on succession planning unless they poach someone from his tutelage who wants to return.

lmbebo
04-20-2022, 05:10 PM
At this point, don't really care if he stays or goes. Team is lacking talent/depth to do anything. Coaching change isnt going to make the team any better. If anything, probably worse.

Only place I can fault having Pop around at this point is that he delayed the rebuilding process when quitter screwed us over and the subsequent years.

mo7888
04-22-2022, 10:43 AM
Borrego is now available...

exstatic
04-22-2022, 11:46 AM

Snyder could be available quicker than you think if they go out in the first round.

montgod
04-22-2022, 12:17 PM
Borrego is now available...

And so is Jay Wright if he only retired from college

heyheymymy
04-22-2022, 12:23 PM
Borrego replaces Becky for 1-3 seasons and then shifts into Head Coach?

baseline bum
04-22-2022, 12:30 PM

Team sucks because it has minimal talent. Spurs likely picking #9 instead of say #5 is because of Pop.

Dverde
04-22-2022, 12:31 PM
Quin Synder will be available in a week….

baseline bum
04-22-2022, 12:32 PM
Quin Synder will be available in a week….

Bang up job he's doing there in Kolob.

Uriel
04-22-2022, 02:08 PM
I would be on board with hiring Borrego as an assistant for Pop.

KingKev
04-23-2022, 01:15 PM
Team sucks because it has minimal talent. Spurs likely picking #9 instead of say #5 is because of Pop.

Very simple and accurate assessment tbh.

dbestpro
04-23-2022, 03:27 PM
There is a lot to not like about the Spurs these days. Pop moving on is for the best. He will never coach another Spurs team to the playoffs so he serves no purpose.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-23-2022, 05:08 PM
I think Pop would have retired a couple of years ago if Erin hadn't passed, but without her maybe he doesn't see a whole lot of point to retiring and would rather stick around doing something he loves and is great at.

He probably watched Picard and didn't want to enslave the people of his winery.

Dverde
04-24-2022, 11:06 AM
Never a fan of Borrego. Always preferred Ime Uduka as the replacement but that isn’t going to happen now. I would prefer Hardy over Borrego at this point. Hardy is on the Kings list but I doubt they hire him.

8FOR!3
04-25-2022, 02:01 PM
The organization knows a lot more about Will Hardy than we do. It's tough for me to judge him. But I trust the brainpowers on that one.

SAGirl
05-12-2022, 01:21 PM
Didn't see this elsewhere.

Ocotillo
05-12-2022, 03:58 PM
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I was of the mind he is coming back and my curiosity was on who is replacing Becky.

MultiTroll
05-12-2022, 06:21 PM
Didn't see this elsewhere.

Greaaaat...

Yep.
More attention whoring.

MultiTroll
05-12-2022, 10:47 PM
NBA tough standards (at least on many teams) to get and hold a gig.

Doc Rivers: 'I don't worry about my job, I think I do a terrific job'

toki9
06-28-2022, 04:06 PM
Looks like Will Hardy to the Jazz as their new head coach. https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1541858350069080065

offset formation
06-28-2022, 04:29 PM
Gotdamn it. Ime and Will were at the top of my list for pop's successor.

Chomag
06-28-2022, 05:34 PM
Non of those guys want to wait around for Pop to retire

offset formation
06-28-2022, 05:40 PM
Non of those guys want to wait around for Pop to retire

I get that. Doesn't make it any less frustrating. I have hope that Mitch will be a good one to take over but I'd like
to see more.

Dex
06-28-2022, 05:46 PM
I get that. Doesn't make it any less frustrating. I have hope that Mitch will be a good one to take over but I'd like
to see more.

Hopefully Pop gives it one or two more seasons, then starts prepping to hand the keys to Quin Snyder. Whether than means a straight handoff, or bringing him in as an assistant for a year....

Either that, or Becky makes a comeback. I don't see buying out her WNBA contract being too crazy...

KingKev
06-28-2022, 06:30 PM
Non of those guys want to wait around for Pop to CROAK

Fixed.

SpurPadre
06-28-2022, 07:17 PM

It's okay. Manu could still be Pop's successor.

slick'81
06-28-2022, 07:52 PM
Definitely interested on who pop brings on his staff this season

John B
06-28-2022, 07:55 PM
Looks like Will Hardy to the Jazz as their new head coach. https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1541858350069080065

That’s just awesome Pop’s tree of coaching.

slick'81
06-28-2022, 07:58 PM
That’s just awesome Pop’s tree of coaching.

every single damn on of them gets scooped up eventually. Front office or assistants all gonZo. Chips gotta be chomping at the bit

John B
06-28-2022, 08:02 PM
every single damn on of them gets scooped up eventually. Front office or assistants all gonZo. Chips gotta be chomping at the bit

And I just hate that opportunist Phil has more count ring, because hands down Pop is the GOAT

offset formation
06-28-2022, 08:32 PM
It's okay. Manu could still be Pop's successor.

Now that would be my first choice.

slick'81
06-28-2022, 08:39 PM
Now that would be my first choice.

almost makes too much sense

LkrFan
06-29-2022, 05:17 PM

:lol

JuneJive
06-30-2022, 06:48 AM
Sources are expecting former 76ers head coach Brett Brown reuniting with Gregg Popovich’s staff, filling the spot vacated by Becky Hammon in San Antonio

ace3g
06-30-2022, 10:32 AM
https://twitter.com/RealTomPetrini/status/1542520349576663052

TimDunkem
06-30-2022, 10:37 AM

:lol
:lmao